Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Rules - Please Read

I want to post a non-pokemon fic, but I want to know something first: do I have to get my fic idea approved before I can post it? I've followed all the other rules, such as the two-page rule.

^ Click this for good times ^

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    I want to post a non-pokemon fic, but I want to know something first: do I have to get my fic idea approved before I can post it? I've followed all the other rules, such as the two-page rule.
    Hope no one minds if I tackle answering this question, but you only need to get the potentially R-rated ones approved. Non-Pokémon fics are A-OK so long as you know where to put them.

REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

How do I get a fic approved? Do I have to send the mods a copy or what?
    FC for Friend Safari: 0361-7472-0721 Fighting Type with Machoke , Pancham, and Hariyama . PM to exchange FC's.

SHINIES: Lilpup, Chatot, and Froakie WILL TRADE FOR ANOTHER SHINY

Chapter 8 out now!

You only need to get a fic approved by a mod if it's rated R. If it is rated R, send the mods a section of your story (particularly the part that may make your story rated R in the first place).

I don't know where to post this but I saw someone using smiles in their fanfic.
    FC for Friend Safari: 0361-7472-0721 Fighting Type with Machoke , Pancham, and Hariyama . PM to exchange FC's.

Chapter 8 out now!

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Aruseus View Post
    Just checking, but you're asking if it's okay to do that, right?

If so, generally, it depends on the situation and the reader. For example, it's not okay to do something like this:

"I'm here for my first Pokemon! " Sally said.

But it's somewhat more okay to some readers (and not all even) to do something like this:

He opened up his Pokédex and pointed it at the bird. Right away, it pinged, and its blank screen lit up with a new entry.

"PIDOVE
    The Tiny Pigeon Pokémon
    Each follows its Trainer's orders as best it can, but they sometimes fail to understand complicated commands."

So, to recap, if they're being used in the way you would use them in a chat, it's not okay. If they're visual aids of some sort, they're somewhat more okay, but it's a case of Your Mileage May Vary. Some readers prefer not to have images in the middle of a chapter for their own reasons, and some do. It runs on similar logic to what's discussed in this thread.

REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Aruseus View Post
    JX is pretty much right on the money. If you mean that you saw something that breaks the rules, you can report it using the Report button, which is the little red and white triangle with the exclamation mark on the top right-hand corner of each post. You can report any rule-breaking post in any section, and it lets the moderators know that you saw something wrong so we can do what we can to fix/deal with it it. Hope that helps.

~Psychic

Pokéthon was a huge success! Check out our Facebook page for photos from the event!

Okay I have a couple of quick questions.

Say I post chapter one of my fan fic. How long do I have to wait to post another chapter if nobody posts? I have nine chapters of a fan fiction already done.

Say nobody posts on my fan fiction at all. Am I still aloud to keep posting chapters till the the fan fiction is done even if nobody ever posts?

I use Google Docs because I'm not using my own computer right now. I have to be strict on what I use because my own computer, shamefully, has viruses right now. So I have to continue using Google Docs. It has a automatic spell check, so right after I put a space, if a word isn't spelled right, it will have a red line under it. It does pages. Is it okay if I use it and post fan fictions, using it to type up the fan fiction? I will proof read, but I just want to make sure its okay.

4. If I posted a chapter once the amount of time I have to wait to post has passed, and if I do this frequently, is it counted as abusing that rule?
    Currently reading: Nancy Drew, New Moon, Avalon Web of Magic, Sammey Keyes...
    Current Favorite Song: Price Tag by Jesse J
    SPP Family: None
    Current favorite anime: Cardcaptors/Cardcaptor Sakura

Its not about the money!

Because a lot of these also have answers that stem from what's a good or bad idea for a writing community, allow me to throw in my two cents to help you figure things out.

Quote Originally Posted by eeveegirl810 View Post
    Say I post chapter one of my fan fic. How long do I have to wait to post another chapter if nobody posts? I have nine chapters of a fan fiction already done.
    I'd say go with whatever you're comfortable with. Naturally, you don't want to go too fast (like post all nine of those chapters on the same day) because you want to give your readers time to look over all the material you've presented so far. On the other hand, you also don't want to wait too long (especially if you have short chapters) because you could get bumped to the next page or forgotten about. In my experience, a new chapter every couple of days works -- just enough to keep your fic on the first page of threads, basically. That way, you'll be more likely to catch someone's eye.

Also, keep in mind that you'll want to keep up the pace after you've run out of pre-written chapters, so try to aim for a time frame that works for your writing speed too. For example, if you can put out a chapter in a week, maybe it's best for you to post a chapter a week so you can stay consistent there. That way, your readers will know that they can expect a chapter once a week on a certain day.

Say nobody posts on my fan fiction at all. Am I still aloud to keep posting chapters till the the fan fiction is done even if nobody ever posts?
    Oh yes. It sucks when that happens, and there's been instances in which that's happened. You always have that risk when posting in a new writing community because not everyone knows you, so not everyone might jump to read your work. Just don't give up and keep posting. You'll get someone to post eventually, even if it's after ten chapters or more. b)'')b

I use Google Docs because I'm not using my own computer right now. I have to be strict on what I use because my own computer, shamefully, has viruses right now. So I have to continue using Google Docs. It has a automatic spell check, so right after I put a space, if a word isn't spelled right, it will have a red line under it. It does pages. Is it okay if I use it and post fan fictions, using it to type up the fan fiction? I will proof read, but I just want to make sure its okay.
    This is actually a brilliant idea, believe it or not, because Google Docs is a legitimate word processor. It's got spell check, a means to save (for proofreading later and whatnot), and everything else you pretty much need to write a story, and it's for free. So, if anything, I wish more people would have the sense to use Google Docs.

Or, in short, I'm pretty sure people would think it's A-OK.

If I posted a chapter once the amount of time I have to wait to post has passed, and if I do this frequently, is it counted as abusing that rule?
    That one I can't really answer due to it being mod territory more than "is this okay for a writing community" territory, but I can at least circle back to the answer I offered for the first point if it helps you decide whether or not you'd like to trouble yourself with that question in the first place.

Thanks JX. I actually,unlike what my speed used to be, I've been able to write a new chapter every three days at the latest, but there have been a couple of days I've been able to write two chapters in a day,it usually depends on my mood.
    Currently reading: Nancy Drew, New Moon, Avalon Web of Magic, Sammey Keyes...
    Current Favorite Song: Price Tag by Jesse J
    SPP Family: None
    Current favorite anime: Cardcaptors/Cardcaptor Sakura

Its not about the money!

Quick question.

I know that it says pictures are intended to be in author's notes, but what about for the start of chapters? (I'm planning on writing one with three distinct chapters, but probably posted in different scenes.)
    I'm back. And ready for more battling.

[Img]http://i55.*******.com/k1cdxu.gif[/img]
    [Img]http://i56.*******.com/2lx856h.gif[/Img][Img]http://i51.*******.com/206yn8i.gif[/Img]

Thanks to Mew_ and Sarah- for the banner, and PikaPika 677 for the MD animations.

So long as you aren't inserting pictures within the text of the story where they detract from it, you'll be fine.

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

Are we allowed to post original works in the Non-Pokemon fics? As in, are we allowed to post something unrelated to any fandom and that we made up on our own?

My fic, Drowning.
    Cye of the Torrent is my bishie.
    Credit to Sketchie of Coronet Designs

Yes, you can.

The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

I have a question. I want to write a fan fic but I'm not sure on the rating. It has violence, and some dying but not in great detail. And there are a few other things that I think would make it PG-13 but I'm not quite sure, will you please help?

Chapter 8 out now!

You're probably best off rating it PG-13 for safety. It's not as if we have very young kids here who'll stay away from anything with a PG-13 rating, anyway, so it doesn't exactly hurt you.

Morphic

Couple questions...

I'm not happy with the quality of my own fanfiction.

1. If I ask for someone to close it, can it be closed?
    2. If it does get closed, can I repost the updated version later, which actually fits my own expectations of the quality?

[Img]http://i56.*******.com/2lx856h.gif[/Img][Img]http://i51.*******.com/206yn8i.gif[/Img]

Thanks to Mew_ and Sarah- for the banner, and PikaPika 677 for the MD animations.

Yes, you can close a fic if you're not satisfied with its quality. Just PM/VM a mod with the link. You're also allowed to repost the same story in all of its revision glory.

Thanks. Is there a specific mod I should contact, like someone on the Fan Fic section, or are they all fair game?

I think I'm nitpicking. Ignore this post. >_>
    Last edited by Wild Dragonite; 23rd July 2011 at 11:33 PM.

The fanfiction mods (Dragonfree, Psychic, Bobandbill) are your best bet to PM for this sort of thing. =P

I dont have a program like Microsoft Word that has pages.... what should i do?

Thanks to Tyranitarquake for the banner!

Quote Originally Posted by ChampionZ View Post
    I dont have a program like Microsoft Word that has pages.... what should i do?
    OpenOffice is completely free. Alternatively, Google Docs is not only completely free, but you also don't have to download anything to use it. Both are complete word processors that have everything you need, including pages.

Thank You SOOOO much. You have been helping me out a lot, I really appreciate it.

Thanks to Tyranitarquake for the banner!

I think I probably know the answer to this already, but can you include emoticons in a story if they're in the context of an e-mail?
    [IMG]http://www.gamese****ch.com/090703-hiimdaisy.jpg[/IMG]

I believe that emoticons, smilies, and chat speak is allowed e-mails, internet chats, and things like that.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast