Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Rules - Please Read

I have a fanfic that is ready to be published, but I don't know what rating to give it. The story has:

-Mild Profanity
    -Violence that ends in a few deaths. They scenes themselves aren't graphic
    -Drugs (the drug in question is a steroid that has very negative side-effects on the Pokemon who take it)

I'm thinking it will either be PG-15 or R but I don't know which one to put it under.

Check out my tumblr!

My FF.net Profile

PG-15 would fit better there I'd say out of those two.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

Other Fics
    Unfortunately Blue | Notice: Keep Out | Turnabout Assumptions | Song Parodies
    Snapshots

Check out this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut? Check the forums too!
    Current article:
    Pokémon Places - Mt. Pyre! Learn how to avoid getting mugged!
    Avatar is edited, cropped pic by minty-fivestar on DA (adding backgrounds FTW!), and fic banner by cieux.

One other thing: I have a question about rating. The story I'm writing has mature themes (not sexual, just darker/deep themes), occasional profanity (usually no worse than "damn", "****"s-word, or "hell" a few times per chapter), and semi-frequent violence that sometimes (though rarely) leads to death. At the moment I'm leaning towards PG-14/15, but what does everyone else think?
    Last edited by MikeHill005; 12th August 2011 at 7:46 AM.
    [IMG]http://www.gamese****ch.com/090703-hiimdaisy.jpg[/IMG]

That would probably be an appropriate rating. Although usually people will post PG-13. Although I suppose if you were specifically trying to convey that the themes are more mature than PG-13, but less than R or M, then I think it would suffice.

Also if one chapter has more mature content than another, then that would be a good reminder to post at the beginning of said chapter.

Yeah, tbh PG-13 imo should be fine for that but most certainly PG-14/15 would too.

Other Fics
    Snapshots

Current article:
    Avatar is edited, cropped pic by minty-fivestar on DA (adding backgrounds FTW!), and fic banner by cieux.

If I write a fanfic where pokemon can seriously injured, and killed in battle, stray attack hit trainer, villains will try to attack with their pokemon, and minor use of smoke, what the rate will be? Take note though that I'll use swearing to minimal and every attack that considered as stray attack will not killed a human character.
    Last edited by shengar; 18th August 2011 at 1:34 PM.
    The Answer is the means by which all is revealed...
    To find the one true path, one must seek guidance amidst uncertainty...

The moment man took the path of battler, he sealed his fate...
    Entrusting his future to the pokemon, man clings to a dim hope.
    Yet, the Answer is the means by which all is revealed...
    Beyond the beaten path lies the absolute end.
    It matters not who you are...Downfall awaits you.

PG-13 is what I'd say.

Other Fics
    Snapshots

Current article:

I'm writing a fic, and I don't know what rating it would be, since there is violence in it, but it's not that I'm going into the details about the organs coming out or such, but there are people getting killed, and there also will be a storyline (not the major one) about an assassin. But still, the story isn't about violence but more about an adventure.
    There won't be any sexual things, and the foul language isn't there, I'm just writing down that he/she cursed.

Can anyone tell me what kind of age rating it should it have?
    [IMG]http://i45.*******.com/dmbtcg.png[/IMG]

Credits to Lapin (Extroph edition) & 00swms

^ I say PG-13. But don't take it from me. If nobody dies, then you can probably make it PG.

^ Click this for good times ^

@Assassain: Probably PG for mild violance and mild dark themes.

hmm... I never thought it would be something like PG, since there will be wars in it as well...
    [IMG]http://i45.*******.com/dmbtcg.png[/IMG]

Credits to Lapin (Extroph edition) & 00swms

ow my... i cant start a story yet for my grammar is terrible >______<

I have a question. My story is rated in the PGs, and I was curious, if the mention of topics like rape, if not described, are okay? I have no plans to describe it, or make any detail with it, but to use it purely as a plot point. Is that okay?

It's rated at PG14.
    SoulSilver BQ

Wonderful Banner by Golden Jet!!!!!
    Chapter 9 is up!! (Still Shocking!)

If it's not explored or anything as you say then that rating *should* be fine. You can also make mention of the theme in author notes just so people know beforehand as well.

Other Fics
    Snapshots

Current article:

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    If it's not explored or anything as you say then that rating *should* be fine. You can also make mention of the theme in author notes just so people know beforehand as well.
    Okay, thanks. I made a note to myself prior that whenever I do decide to add that part in (if I do,) I would make a note before hand to say that it explores some "darker themes."

Thanks for the help!
    SoulSilver BQ

Wonderful Banner by Golden Jet!!!!!
    Chapter 9 is up!! (Still Shocking!)

I've been writing a story (link in my signature) that I rated PG-15 when I made it. I gave it that rating as a safety precaution so that I could write it as an adult, for adults, but with no overtly mature themes specifically in mind. My next chapter, which will be posted in a few days, has (I don't want to spoil anything, but...) several scenes of extreme violence and somewhat twisted and deranged mental torture. The most graphic bit of violence is someone getting impaled and eventually killed in a pool of his own blood, but over the course of the chapter, an entire city is destroyed and all of the citizens are killed. There is a character who is mentally tortured (NOT physically) and in a fairly twisted and evil way, but it is nothing too bad; the worst bit is someone (more or less) giving a speech essentially praising Satanism. Those are the two things that I think make it stand out as far as rating goes.

I'm wondering if these things would warrant a rating jump from PG-15 to R for that individual chapter. If so, do I have to PM the chapter to a mod and have it approved? Or is that process only for the creation of a thread and not individual chapters? Please advise.

I'd think PG-15 would be enough for that, as you describe it, but you might want to caution the reader in an author's note that this chapter contains disturbing content. If the violent bits are described in a particularly gory way, you can PM the most extreme of it to a mod to have it checked for safety, though.

Chapter 63: Recovery
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

Question: In the first post, instead of a prologue or first chapter, can we have a little description of the story like on the back of real books?

Wraith (PG-14 for blood, violence, and infrequent use of light cuss language) My idea of a future war sci fi novel.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/11lihjr.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i51.*******.com/11lihjr.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i51.*******.com/11lihjr.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i51.*******.com/11lihjr.gif[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i43.*******.com/11i1u8j.png[/IMG]

Credit to Mew_ for the banner and pokemon player for the Growlithe Lickies.

Besides the fact that it's true that rule #5 states your first post must contain a prologue, first chapter, or (in the case of one-shots) the actual story, it's actually common courtesy to do so as well. Basically speaking, when a reader goes into your thread, they're actually expecting to read the story. A summary doesn't really pull a person in because, well, there's nothing interesting about a summary compared to a story.

Put it this way. Basically, you're telling us something. You're not showing us characters in action. While, sure, a summary might help us decide whether or not we'll be interested in your fic, a summary doesn't really serve a purpose at all if we've already clicked your link. The reason why summaries on FFNet or on book jackets exist is to tell us what we'd be investing our time into before we actually go and spend hours reading. If we've already clicked a link to a fic on a writing forum, it's generally assumed that we already want to read what you have to say.

That and it feels like you're stalling for time, especially if you post nothing but the summary, and the prologue or first chapter doesn't come until hours or even days later.

In short, no, it's not okay, both according to the rules and according to how a forum-based writing community works.

Of course, if you had a summary take up the first couple of lines of a post while the rest of the same post had your first chapter, then that would actually be clever use of Serebii's hovertext feature (i.e., the little box that pops up when you hover over a link to a thread in the thread listing). But you asked if you could post nothing but a summary in your first post, which is actually not as cool to do.

REBOOT: Chapter eleven now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

I'm making a fic about a Shiny Eevee that get's caught and tries to escape alot of fights (wich I have not yet decided if it's death fights but proboubly will be) and Will have painfl evoloutions and Poke'mon abuse

Credit: jmh3k on Deviantart

Okay. Are you asking for help in rating it, or...? If that's the case, you'd need to provide a bit more detail, like a sample of how graphically you portray the violence and abuse.

Chapter 63: Recovery
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

So, my first fan-fic failed. I wasn't able to retrive my password/name, but I managed to do it, but I c my story was locked, so let's try this again. I want to try to post one of my best fan-fics known as "HellFire: Hell on Earth". It's about a mother and a baby Cyndaquil, who are mysteriously on a different planet, known as Earth. Americans attack the two, killing the mother, but the baby got away. The baby then develops a grudge over the human race. As he got older, he finds the awesome Flame Plate. He picks it up, only to gain the power of the gods. Cyndaquil evolves into Typhlosion, and then the Typhlosion goes to destroy the human race due to his overdue grudge. Like Godzilla, but Pokemon I won several rewards for this story, so I wanna post it here. (The rewards are not professional, it was in school. But still!)

Pardon me asking but... do you actually have a question about the rules or if your story would be allowed or the such...?

I'll assume you're asking if your previously posted fic would be allowed again, and the answer is only if it will obey and fanfic rules - ie each chapter needs to be at least two pages long, and have proper paragraphing (in other words; hit enter twice each time you are meant to have a new paragraph/someone else talks in dialogue), so your work is readable as opposed to a wall of text (not only is it a rule here, it's a general rule of thumb to go by with posting stories on the internet - you don't want to put off your readers by clumping the story in one block and making it hard to read as a result).

Other Fics
    Snapshots

Current article:

Obviously it's a different story -_- (considering the fact I didn't know where the rules were at the time), and I've decided not the post that one because it's more of a Smash Bros. deal (It involves Ridlly and Samus).

So then your question is/was...?

Other Fics
    Snapshots

Current article:

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast