Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Rules - Please Read

Two questions.

1. I have a fanfic on another forum which I want to just post here, but there are different rules there.

The chapters are all under two pages from your '1000 words = two chapters' thing. The biggest I have is 961 words, which is both Chapter 19, as well as 6, 7 and 8 combined (I know, same amount of words xD). so would I be aloud to morph several chapters together. mainly 1&2, 6, 7&8, and probably others as well.

2. Rating. For this, I'm concerned about two chapters. 14 and 19.

Chapter 14 shows two characters arriving at Azalea, which is now a wasteland. It says that their are dead bodies scattered across the floor, with only one building left standing.

Chapter 19 says that there are Pokemon being mentally, and physically tortured by mind control machines. Same case with the flashbacks in 16.

Ideas?
    I am the epic. Obey me, or you will suffer my wrath.

so i herd u liek mudkipz?

Does someone get infracted for having two different fanfics, or is he/she allowed to keep both of them as long as they can keep them active?

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetorterra View Post
    Two questions.

1. I have a fanfic on another forum which I want to just post here, but there are different rules there.

The chapters are all under two pages from your '1000 words = two chapters' thing. The biggest I have is 961 words, which is both Chapter 19, as well as 6, 7 and 8 combined (I know, same amount of words xD). so would I be aloud to morph several chapters together. mainly 1&2, 6, 7&8, and probably others as well.

Chapter 14 shows two characters arriving at Azalea, which is now a wasteland. It says that their are dead bodies scattered across the floor, with only one building left standing.

Chapter 19 says that there are Pokemon being mentally, and physically tortured by mind control machines. Same case with the flashbacks in 16.

Ideas?
    1. Do what you gotta do, just please ensure that each chapter you post here comes out to two pages minimum one way or another. :>

2. You can give individual chapters higher ratings, but the rating depends how graphic you are. There's a different between "they avoided looking at the motionless bodies lying in the streets" and "bloodied, mangled bodies were strewn about, caked in dried blood" and describing missing body parts and maggots feasting on corpses. The more graphic and detailed you get, the higher the rating goes. I don't think either case will need anything above say PG-16.

Quote Originally Posted by GenosectArceus View Post
    Does someone get infracted for having two different fanfics, or is he/she allowed to keep both of them as long as they can keep them active?
    Absolutely not. We will never tell you how many fics you can or cannot have - that is entirely up to you. We encourage writers to have as many stories as they want/are comfortable with.

~Psychic

Sure; just combine them logically into some respectable length.

Ideas?
    That would depend on how these things are described. If you just say there are dead bodies or that Pokémon are being tortured, I think I'd just call it PG, but if you depict them in an unsettling way, that would call for a higher rating. To go past PG-13 there would have to be extremely gory details.

Where on earth do people get this idea? Is there a particular rule that seems to imply this? o_O I'm honestly puzzled that people ask this so often. Why wouldn't you be allowed to have multiple fics at a time?

You don't even have to keep them active, for that matter. There are no restrictions on having multiple fics whatsoever. You can write and post as many fics as you want.

EDIT: Ha, ninja'd.

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

I wanna make a thread that shows the poems I've made. Can I do that? Also, is Double post rule in here? Cause I may need to when I get a Poem done, and no one responds.
    Meh, working on sig...

Hmm . . . RE: The 'first post must contain a chapter/prologue' rule . . .

I have an existing fic here (21 chapters at the moment), and the first post contains a banner, chapter index and prologue. The thing is, it's getting a little cluttered as the fic grows, what with chapters and arcs and all. So what I'd basically like to ask is this: May I move that prologue into the second post in the thread, the one which currently contains Chapter One? That would reserve the first post for the chapter index, making things easier.

I'm fairly sure this would be okay, my logic being that the rule is largely in place to prevent people from having threads with no actual fic in them - which in this case is not an issue as there's plenty of content in the thread at this point. Still, I thought I had better check before going ahead with it.
    Last edited by M-Dub; 14th November 2011 at 1:04 AM.

Champion Game
    Latest: Chapter Thirty-Five - Invidia et Ira
    Next: Chapter Thirty-Six: Can We Please Focus?
    Something's Got To Give (4)
    When the Sleeper Stirs (1) [FFTA2]

Quote Originally Posted by aurasageluke View Post
    I wanna make a thread that shows the poems I've made. Can I do that? Also, is Double post rule in here? Cause I may need to when I get a Poem done, and no one responds.
    Yes, you can. And authors are allowed to double post as long as they are posting a new chapter or in this case, poem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon user X View Post

I have an existing fic here (21 chapters at the moment), and the first post contains a banner, chapter index and prologue. The thing is, it's getting a little cluttered as the fic grows, what with chapters and arcs and all. So what I'd basically like to ask is this: May I move that prologue into the second post in the thread, the one which currently contains Chapter One? That would reserve the first post for the chapter index, making things easier.

I'm fairly sure this would be okay, my logic being that the rule is largely in place to prevent people from having threads with no actual fic in them - which in this case is not an issue as there's plenty of content in the thread at this point. Still, I thought I had better check before going ahead with it.
    It's fine given you already have the content up and all.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Quote Originally Posted by aurasageluke View Post
    The rules state fairly clearly that you are perfectly able to do this. You can post anthologies in a single thread and it won't be a problem. Regarding double-posting, there is an rule that explains this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    12) On Double-Posting and Bumping:
    There are exceptions to these rules.

Double Posting: If the author has posted a chapter of their fic and nobody has replied to it, then they are perfectly allowed to post the next chapter anyway. Updates and important information such as the author’s absence or decision to make a change to the fic may also be double-posted after a chapter or another update. Please do not abuse this. Also, if a chapter won't fit in just one post is it perfectly okay to put it in multiple posts back-to-back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon user X View Post

The only reason your post looks a little cluttered is because you used a giant font size. There is still plenty of space left in that post - since the limit is 50k character per post, you won't run out of room anytime soon. I personally think it looks fine the way it is, but yes, that is essentially the point of that rule, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if you moved your prologue, just kind of pointless in my opinion.

Edit: also ninja'd. :P

~Psychic

@psychic Alright, cool. Thanks!
    Meh, working on sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    The only reason your post looks a little cluttered is because you used a giant font size. There is still plenty of space left in that post - since the limit is 50k character per post, you won't run out of room anytime soon. I personally think it looks fine the way it is, but yes, that is essentially the point of that rule, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if you moved your prologue, just kind of pointless in my opinion.

Edit: also ninja'd. :P

~Psychic
    I see, thanks. It wasn't the character limit I was worried about, though, just the fact that having the index and the prologue there right next to each other (in a slightly larger font size, as you mentioned) looks a bit messy, what with centering and bolds and italics everywhere. I reckon it does look a bit neater the new way, but thank you anyway. And thanks bnb for answering as well~

Champion Game
    Latest: Chapter Thirty-Five - Invidia et Ira
    Next: Chapter Thirty-Six: Can We Please Focus?
    Something's Got To Give (4)
    When the Sleeper Stirs (1) [FFTA2]

I have a story about a shady Pokemon breeding center that I would like to put up. I just don't know what rating to give it.

There are some mild acts of cruelty towards the Pokemon, but nothing explicit. I didn't write any scenes involving the Pokemon mating. There is also mild language here and there.

Should I rate it PG-14 or something higher or lower?

That seems fine; I'd personally say PG-13 is also fine for it though based on that description.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Current article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Is there a limit as to how many times I can post in a single day?

No, though it is recommended you don't post fifteen billion chapters in one day since that just makes it impossible for anyone to catch up with you.

The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Alright. And do I need to restart the story-thread or just uber-bump it? It's been over five months since I last updated it, and I no longer see it on the pages. I can, however, find it when I search my threads.

There are people who post only a few times a year, I think it's fine to necro bump a fic, but if you have very few chapters posted it would probably be in your best interest to just restart it.

You can do either one, though starting a new thread would obviously require you to repost any chapters you had already posted. There's nothing wrong with necro-bumping in itself.

Morphic

Well, when I've written any fic in the past, be it any old fic, or even a fanfic (I am working on a pokemon fic at the moment), I usually write short chapters, as I tend to write from several characters' perspectives at once, or because the story changes mood, setting, and so forth.

Would these be acceptable reasons to include shorter chapters or segments in the story? Normally my chapters in the case of the fanfic I am currently working on would be about the requirement (the words being in 10-point font instead of 12), there are shorter chapters, segments, and otherwise in there...

Just looking for feedback to this issue, so that I know whether to fill more in or not...
    Check out my newly-opened Trade Shop!!!
    ------------
    I have claimed Volcarona!
    ----------------
    FC: 3411 0844 2159

Why don't you just combine these "chapters" and use scene breaks between them, out of curiosity? Perspectives, mood, setting, etc. frequently change between scene breaks; it's not as if it always calls for a new chapter.

Morphic

Is it okay if the story references another storyand you give the writer credit even if the referance is from a youtube video? Pm me if it is okay. How about a "subtle" cameo
    Last edited by pokedigijedi; 24th January 2012 at 12:22 AM.
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    for those of you who are interested here is my link to my youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/pokedigijedi

Trade shop: pokedigijedi's bounty board
    3DS FRIEND CODE: 4382-2152-1254 friend safari type: poison pokemon ariados, kakuna, and muk. please don't take too long too add me it drives me crazy and I will delete your friend code

The rules said that in your 1st post, you must post at least something like prologue, first chapter, or whatever the work itself.

It is not even allowed to use the first post as chapter reference, which will be edited in the later days if new chapters are added and linked? The first chapter of the fic then will be post in the 2nd post, but not the 1st.

This is because the fic introduction, the preface from the writer, and also chapter link reference takes quite some space, then the first chapter posted in the 1st post will become easier to reach the word count limit in posting, then I must post the remains of the first chapter in the 2nd post.
    But then of course, this makes the 1st and 2nd post bind together, you don't post such 1st post and not the 2nd.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこに始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち

Why can't they both be in the first post though...? It's unlikely a chapter list will take up the whole post and you can always put it in a spoiler to save space for presentation if you want to do that as well (which is how I do it). But if the chapter really is that long that with the preamble it breaks the 50,000 character limit for posts you can if you post it all in one go (as in, not post the author notes/etc and say 'chapter to be posted later!'). If it doesn't require breaking it up due to the limit though I don't see much need for that to be done.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Um, I have a question. I wrote another chapter on my fic and I'm not sure if it should stay a G or if it's closer to PG...there is one slight mention of a swear, as in the said by Mew...and by slight I mean only one letter. And it's mentioned that Mew's sister is killed by Mewtwo. I'm just not sure. The chapter is also a bit violent...

Thanks if anyone can tell me! ^^
    Last edited by CrystalBlush; 19th February 2012 at 11:44 PM.
    No longer active here. You can find me at the forum below, I'm AngelEevee.

If by violent you mean Pokemon battles then I would think G is still fine (after all the games are also rated G and are full of battles too). [On a side note I'd also suggest not centreing your text in your story as it can be hard to read; keep it formatted normally (ie to the left hand side).]

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Can some small drinking scenes be in PG-13 stories?

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast