Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Rules - Please Read

Quote Originally Posted by FerreTrip View Post
    No linking to other sites...? Oooh-ooooohh...So much for doing it the easy way and linking to my ff.net stuff...My chapters are all kinda frikkin' huge, so...
    Aside from what Yami Ryu said, when you post on FFNet, you should already have your fic saved as a Word/Open Office/whatever document anyway, so it's just a matter of doing a quick skim for the parts that are formatting, adding BB code wherever necessary, copying, and pasting. The entire shebang really only takes about five minutes, and that's assuming you're posting it as-is (without looking over it again first). However, if the issue is highlighting large chunks of text in order to copy it, just use our friend CTRL+A to highlight everything at once. (I'm pretty sure it's the same for most computers, but feel free to throw in similar shortcuts if it's not.)

And if the issue is actually the fact that you've got reviews on FFNet or would like to look like you're getting more, then to be blunt, I don't know of anyone in a writing community who clicks a link just to get to a story. It's more convenient for us to just read it and comment on a thread made here.
    Last edited by JX Valentine; 6th January 2010 at 5:43 AM.

REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

Quote Originally Posted by FerreTrip View Post
    No linking to other sites...? Oooh-ooooohh...So much for doing it the easy way and linking to my ff.net stuff...My chapters are all kinda frikkin' huge, so...
    I did not realise that copy and pasting onto a forum post, a second if it hit the character limit, was so difficult.
    Ruler of the Fics.

I'm pretty busy right now so if you need to get hold of me PLEASE PM. I'll get the email notification a lot faster.

This is a little question for the mods - Can you have 2 fics up at the same time?

My Dream Team~ by Junpearl63!

Profile Picture by ElectricBlueWolf.

~ Hatch The Eggs/ Feed The Pokemon please!

Yes, you can have any number of fics up at the same time. Just remember that trying to juggle multiple fics can end up with failing to finish any of them.

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfree View Post
    Yes, you can have any number of fics up at the same time. Just remember that trying to juggle multiple fics can end up with failing to finish any of them.
    Yeah, I had to learn that the hard way. Three times I tried typing two fics at once, and three times I had to stop production on one of them. That's my problem: I've got a long series of fics to type, leaving me no time to type the other ideas I've got for any time in the forseeable future.
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

can we make up our own charactors and put in a pokemon fic? would this still be a pokemon fic even though it had no anime characters or game or manga characters at all?
    5429 - 7299 -8618
    BUG Type - Illumise, Ledyba, Venomoth

Quote Originally Posted by bobri28 View Post
    can we make up our own charactors and put in a pokemon fic? would this still be a pokemon fic even though it had no anime characters or game or manga characters at all?
    If we didn't allow it I'd have to remove all my fics from the forum. It's a pokemon fic because it has Pokemon in it, existing characters is up to the authors discretion.
    Ruler of the Fics.

I'm pretty busy right now so if you need to get hold of me PLEASE PM. I'll get the email notification a lot faster.

Just to clarify. Can a story be put in the non-pokemon fanfic section if it is not a fan fiction at all. Just an original story?
    I caught my first shiny in Pearl on Route 221, At 2:04 PM July, 6th 2008. He was a male Floatzel.
    Current Shinies x2 ,,,

What Will You Do?
    What Will Become of The World As We Know it?
    Can They Be Stopped?
    Can Seventeen Tortured Souls Reverse The Damage Already Inflicted?
    Can They Surmount An Incomprehensible Feet?
    Will The World As We Know It Spiral Into Chaos?
    Would You Fight?
    Would You Stop It?
    Would You Let Everything You Hold Dear Vanish?
    Would You Stop The Very Embodiment of Evil?

They Would...

the outcast revolt
    latest chapter: chapter 3 the woods

Go for it, be silly if we didn't allow original things too.
    Ruler of the Fics.

Go for it, be silly if we didn't allow original things too.
    Ruler of the Fics.

Okay thanks. I haven't written anything yet. But I have a few ideas that I will put on paper once my latest fic is done.
    I caught my first shiny in Pearl on Route 221, At 2:04 PM July, 6th 2008. He was a male Floatzel.
    Current Shinies x2 ,,,

What Will You Do?
    What Will Become of The World As We Know it?
    Can They Be Stopped?
    Can Seventeen Tortured Souls Reverse The Damage Already Inflicted?
    Can They Surmount An Incomprehensible Feet?
    Will The World As We Know It Spiral Into Chaos?
    Would You Fight?
    Would You Stop It?
    Would You Let Everything You Hold Dear Vanish?
    Would You Stop The Very Embodiment of Evil?

They Would...

the outcast revolt
    latest chapter: chapter 3 the woods

Kinda think I know the answer to this, but it's always better to check.

When you talk about chapter length being two pages minimum in Word, are you assuming a size 12 font? I ask because 12 font bothers me and I usually write in size 8, which about halves the page count.

EDIT: Thank you very much, Dragonfree
    Last edited by Punk Lion; 24th April 2010 at 7:47 PM.
    DW list got too long. I can breed most DW pokemon from the forest, sky, sea, and manor, quite a few from the mountain and a couple from the cave. Pm if you want to ask about something specific.

White FC: Buddy 1034 2330 4878 Times are GMT -5
    Black FC: Colt 0734 4838 0690

Been SRing since Nov 2011. 4/11/12 finally caught Twayblade, my shiny !

You can assume that one page is around 500 words if you're using a different font size or whatever.

The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Uhm, may I ask a question? Are fic about celebrities allowed in here?

I'm not a mod here, but I'm reasonably sure the answer would be no, at least in this forum since it's dedicated to Pokemon fanfic and I'm assuming you mean real life celebrities. But you'll need one of the mods to confirm if you can post celebrity fiction in the non-Pokemon fiction sub-forum.

A cute exterior hides inner strength ~ Suzy

Destiny's Bond

What of one shots meant to be written in a certain style?

Like, for instance, I've wrote a One Shot about a Tyrogue who discovers his master's suicide. I know how to spell, and I always try to use proper grammer, but the story is written from his point of view, in the way a child would write/spell/whatever, because it's a baby pokémon, and I think it would have a very toddler-like mentality.

I mean, the title is "Y Doesnt U Wayk Up?" (Why don't you wake up?).

Furthermore, if I did get up the courage to post it (I'm quite shy...what with having Social Anxiety Disorder), what would it be rated as? There's no swearing, but there 'is' suicide in it. He doesn't /see/ his master pull the trigger, but he sees her corpse and the blood all over the cottage. It's rather sad. Made me a little more sad than I already was just writing it.

~Nemmeh
    I will be on here very, very rarely. The account is not dead, per se, but I will not be on often. This has become a den of hatred, hostility, and anger. It is not the SPPF it was when I joined, and I really dislike coming here. To those of you who were nice to me and were my friend, thank you. Goodbye.
    3DS FC: 1950 7837 2016
    Name: Nicole
    Electric Friend Safari. Pokemon: Dedenne, Pikachu, Manectric
    Before you try to act superior to someone else on here, remember that no matter how much of an "internet cool-guy" you think you are, this is a Pokemon forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmeh View Post

Like, for instance, I've wrote a One Shot about a Tyrogue who discovers his master's suicide. I know how to spell, and I always try to use proper grammer, but the story is written from his point of view, in the way a child would write/spell/whatever, because it's a baby pokémon, and I think it would have a very toddler-like mentality.

Furthermore, if I did get up the courage to post it (I'm quite shy...what with having Social Anxiety Disorder), what would it be rated as? There's no swearing, but there 'is' suicide in it. He doesn't /see/ his master pull the trigger, but he sees her corpse and the blood all over the cottage. It's rather sad. Made me a little more sad than I already was just writing it.

~Nemmeh
    I know what you're going with with the intentional misspellings, but you don't have to butcher writing your grammar and words to tell the reader that the Pokemon is really young. You can tell your readers that the Pokemon is a toddler by making him interpret his surroundings like a child would. For example, he might not say "Pokemon Center" but "the place where they make me feel better" instead. His own thought process and actions would be written with this mind. If you decide to throw grammar and spelling out the window, it would give the impression that you're too lazy to actually put effort in shaping the character as the toddler you want him to be (not saying you're lazy; it's just what some people might say).

Also, Serebii has a high standard for grammar and spelling, and your butchered grammar and spelling might cause a mod to close it. Whether they'll leave it open because of your reason or no, I don't know.

The one-shot would be PG-13 with his suicide and the descriptive scenes.

I hope you post it. Feedback will only make you a better writer.

Good luck with your one-shot. x3

- Kat

[IMG]http://i46.*******.com/34oaljq.jpg[/IMG]

.: Banner by EmBreon | Badge by Northern Lights:.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmeh View Post

~Nemmeh
    Well, there's nothing wrong with your idea, but I'm not quite buying your argument for why it mandates poor spelling. I wouldn't imagine a baby Pokémon would know how to write to begin with, spelling be damned. Generally when you're writing from someone's POV, you aren't writing it as they would actually write it; you're writing it as if you were transcribing them telling you the story. And you don't transcribe spelling errors. Feel free to use simplified, shaky grammar, but there's no sense in using poor spelling. "Y Doesnt U Wayk Up?" would never make me think "baby"; it would make me think "unintelligent teenager text messaging".

Basically: poor spelling used for style should only be used when you're actually trying to imply you're reproducing actual writing by the character, like a letter or a school assignment or a diary entry. If you aren't doing something like that, there is no reason this should be done, and even less when the character can't write at all. Poor grammar, on the other hand, can be reproduced faithfully as long as you don't overdo it and make it impossible to understand.
    Last edited by Dragonfree; 16th May 2010 at 7:02 PM.

Morphic

I have a fanfc I want to post here, I have a few questions:
    1:Can you have mages/links to images to show how YOU picture them, as long as you give credit and you don't count the space the link took up as space on microsoft word?
    2:Can you gve credit to another user for inspiring you, even i they don't know it?
    3:May I please have a link to the thread where I can as to post my fanfc? I can't find it.
    LOL
    Last edited by Chimpchar; 26th May 2010 at 10:03 PM.
    [IMG]http://i43.*******.com/2vkg5s5.jpg[/IMG]

don't click this link...

Spoiler:- Credit:

I'm thinking of posting a fic I wrote a while ago entitled "Calcobrena". While it does invovle pokémon animé characters, there aren't any pokémon in it, nor are there battles. Is it allowed?

Also, the story is about those three brothers in my sig. It's a cult-type thing, and, I suppose, would be classed as horror. (Parts of it remind me a little of "Indigo Prophecy", a videogame by Atari.) It's rather violent, with the second, the sequel, for sake of argument, "Calcobrena 2" being much more violent and brutal. There are a number of murder scenes, most of which are highly descriptive, and a great deal of profanity. There is no sex, Lemon, lime, or otherwise at all.

So I think what I mean to ask, is what are "Calcobrena" and "Calcobrena 2" rated as? I don't want to bother a mod, unless you think it nessicary for me to PM it to one, asking this same question.

~Nemmeh
    I will be on here very, very rarely. The account is not dead, per se, but I will not be on often. This has become a den of hatred, hostility, and anger. It is not the SPPF it was when I joined, and I really dislike coming here. To those of you who were nice to me and were my friend, thank you. Goodbye.
    3DS FC: 1950 7837 2016
    Name: Nicole
    Electric Friend Safari. Pokemon: Dedenne, Pikachu, Manectric
    Before you try to act superior to someone else on here, remember that no matter how much of an "internet cool-guy" you think you are, this is a Pokemon forum.

According to Rule 1, the fic has to be your own work. Will I be allowed to post my fic considering it is my own take on the actual story of Pokémon Sapphire Version? (The game's own story) I may use an NPC's actual words if they have a comedic or dramatic effect. Please answer me.

Quote Originally Posted by Manaphione123 View Post
    According to Rule 1, the fic has to be your own work. Will I be allowed to post my fic considering it is my own take on the actual story of Pokémon Sapphire Version? (The game's own story) I may use an NPC's actual words if they have a comedic or dramatic effect. Please answer me.
    Yes, you're allowed to post your fic. Rule 1 means you can't, for example, post your friend's fan fic because he wrote it, not you.

- Kat

[IMG]http://i46.*******.com/34oaljq.jpg[/IMG]

.: Banner by EmBreon | Badge by Northern Lights:.

Thank you, I hope that my fic will go down well with everyone. I'll post it now.

What's your guys' view on interspecies romance? It's unrequited, and the other species is at least humanoid (it's a gardevoir), so would you consider it a PG-13/14/15, or do I have to bump it up to R?

The subject matter would be the only problem; there's nothing explicit.

It would be a lime (which would make it R rated) if you went into certain details about the gardevoir or the other character. Since you said there won't be anything explicit, I believe your story would be between PG-13 and 15. If there's less violence then it would lean towards PG-13, but more violence leans towards PG-15, or even R if you do it with gore and such. Hope that helps in judging the rating.
    As I adventured into math and ideas, that old desire for fan fiction came back.

This review took at least an hour to write, by the way.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast