Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 74

Thread: Which is better, coed schools or single-sex schools?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Pearl of the East
    Posts
    420

    Default Which is better, coed schools or single-sex schools?

    I would really prefer the co-educational schools because a student can mingle with the opposite sex. Also, single-sex schools promote homosexuality because of its single-sex environment.

    But the problem with co-educational schools is that it isgenerally recognized that students at single-sex schools have a higher exam attainment than those at co-educational schools. Why this is so, is much disputed. Not surprisingly, the advocates of single-sex schools claim they are ‘better’ educationally while the co-eds are likely to argue that the students to the single-sex schools represent a more academic or socially advantaged group. So which is better a coed school or a single-sex school?

    Credit goes to DEXTER for this funny fanart?!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Cold (aka Canada).
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Your reasoning behind why there should be co-ed schools is exactly why single-sex schools are better academically (sp?). There is nothing to distract them.

    There is also the fact that boys and girls learn differently. Boys should actually start schooling one year after they do start. Our school systems are too accustomed to how girls learn and doesn't do anything for the boys.

    P.S. If this Debate continues, i'll be really happy. This is one of the things I b**** about everyday! ^_^
    STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS!
    Round 1: Vancouver Canucks - 1 Vs. Chicago Blackhawks - 1
    GO CANUCKS!

    PASBL Stats

    Oh, did I mention when I see you it stings like hell?
    Due to the fact that we could have something,
    that'll never happen...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    146

    Default

    single-sex schools promote homosexuality
    I go to a single sex school and I can tell you this is far from the truth. Teachers and Parents don't encourage homosexuality in single sex schools any more than they do in mixed sex schools. I think this is a myth that is generally associated with single sex schools and puts people off going to them even if they're doing better in the academic side of things.

    As for schools in my area. The best are the all boys school I go to and the all girls school, but these are grammar schools (in Britain we have grammar schools where you get selected from doing a test when your 11 years old. Only the top 120 in this test can go there). Therefore I would say that single sex schools can be more choosy about who they select.

    However, the best state schools in my area are arguably some of the mixed sex schools so it's not all one sided.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Pearl of the East
    Posts
    420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MareepMan View Post
    I go to a single sex school and I can tell you this is far from the truth. Teachers and Parents don't encourage homosexuality in single sex schools any more than they do in mixed sex schools. I think this is a myth that is generally associated with single sex schools and puts people off going to them even if they're doing better in the academic side of things.
    What I mean is that in a single-sex school, homosexuality has more likely of a chance to be the sexuality of the individual. This is due to a lack of the opposite sex in their environment thus they settle to their classmates of the same sex. Environment is the most probable aspect of homosexuality.

    Credit goes to DEXTER for this funny fanart?!



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    146

    Default

    ok i get your point that in single sex schools you don't have the opposite sex and yes the environment of a single sex school might make you think that it ends up in homosexuality. But the fact of the matter is, it is a common myth.

    When I came to my single sex school, I had come from a mixed sex school and had done fine. I had got my grades and done well socially and got into this school. Now, the one thing that people in my old school said to me was: "Don't go there, they'll turn you gay". At the time, we were only 11 and to be honest, looking at single sex schools like that is a bit immature. I'm 16 now and yes there are gays in my school, but it doesn't mean everyone turns gay.

    Can you please explain what you mean by most probable chance of homosexuality. Do you mean that all people in single sex schools turn gay, or there is more chance and if it is the latter, by how much more chance than at mixed sex schools. I do know gay people in my school, but I believe the figure is that 10% of people are gay or bi (I'll have to check that), and to be honest, there aren't any more than that figure in my school.

    Also (Finally), the people in single sex schools often have friends out side their school that are of the opposite sex. Just because people go to a single sex school doesn't mean they still don't get to interact with the opposite sex.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aquajet16 View Post
    What I mean is that in a single-sex school, homosexuality has more likely of a chance to be the sexuality of the individual. This is due to a lack of the opposite sex in their environment thus they settle to their classmates of the same sex. Environment is the most probable aspect of homosexuality.
    First you put homosexuality as a 'negative' effect of single-sex schools. I will not comment on that.

    Now, you say that single-sex schools promote homosexuality because they are around the same sex of people. But you also have to account for the fact that children take a lot of habits and opinions out of the environment around them.

    To put this in to perspective, lets say that you're a guy and your given two choices:
    One, to go to an all-boys school
    Two, to go to an all-girls school (assuming it is possible)

    If he chose to an all-girl's school, wouldn't this encourage homosexuality to a greater degree? The guy takes a lot of habits out of his female classmates and generally, he has no other male friends to mingle with. In an another example, if a girl lost his father, would she become homosexual because her only role model was the same sex as her?



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yonowaru in Chaos View Post
    First you put homosexuality as a 'negative' effect of single-sex schools. I will not comment on that.
    Ironically, I think you just did. But so you don't have to, I will:

    TAKE YOUR BIGOTRY ELSEWHERE, KID.

    Bigotry is not debate.

    Also, single-sex schools promote homosexuality because of its single-sex environment.
    Burden of Proof, mother****er, do you speak it? I shouldn't have to point at this.

    But the problem with co-educational schools is that it isgenerally recognized that students at single-sex schools have a higher exam attainment than those at co-educational schools. Why this is so, is much disputed.
    It's because single-sex schools don't promote homosexuality, heterosexuals are the majority, and as such, at co-ed schools, kids will be more likely to be distracted.*

    *Note: I'm talking out of my *** on this one, but I felt the need to say this.

    What I mean is that in a single-sex school, homosexuality has more likely of a chance to be the sexuality of the individual. This is due to a lack of the opposite sex in their environment thus they settle to their classmates of the same sex. Environment is the most probable aspect of homosexuality.
    Not necessarily. The lack of females will not necessarily make the men gay. Other factors come into play; it may accentuate it, but not nearly as much as other factors, mostly because it's environmental, while 99% of the others are all in your head, best I can tell...
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    the wired
    Posts
    706

    Default

    I'm not allowed anywhere near Catholic all-girl schools. On that topic, I'm going to be a lesbian no matter where I go, so.....

    Cut it open, no puking
    Don't give a f-ck if I cut my frog
    OH GOD BLOOD

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    To say which is better, you must think what you consider more important: Intelligence or social skills? I personally believe that the more beneficial of the two are co-ed schools, because despite the higher average GPA of single-sex schools, social skills are just as valuable. Having no social contact with the opposite-sex can severely hinder one's ability to use that higher-than-average intelligence, thus the two kind of cancel each other out. Plus, its still possible to get good grades at a co-ed school, and its much more difficult for children in a single sex school to have regular contact with the opposite-sex. I'm not saying its impossible, I'm simply saying thats more difficult.
    19

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    146

    Default

    I have to admit, that to an extent I agree with Brettt because throwing the previous posts aside about homosexuality, people in single sex schools do often find it hard to mingle outside school. I know I do. However, saying that people in single sex schools do also go out with those of the opposite sex as people usually have friends in other schools and you go out to the cinema with them from time to time. So you do get some contact with the opposite sex.

    Also, about grades. Single sex schools don't have it all their way when it comes to having the best education. For instance, there are quite a few people in my year that are predicted to get very bad grades. Yet at the same time you can have people from other mixed schools get very good grades. But, the idea that you have a single sex means you don't get "distractions" from the opposite sex and is meant to make it easier to focus on exams.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    31

    Default

    I went to an all boy high school and when I came to college, I was still able to socialize with the women no problem. Infact I am also in a Fraternity, and I have to work and socialize with alot of women and men from other organizations. My other classmates also had no problem in college, and they infact all have girlfriends and are the biggest flirts I have ever met. I think its because since they werent around girls as often as they liked during high school, they let it all out in college. LOL

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MareepMan View Post

    Also, about grades. Single sex schools don't have it all their way when it comes to having the best education. For instance, there are quite a few people in my year that are predicted to get very bad grades. Yet at the same time you can have people from other mixed schools get very good grades. But, the idea that you have a single sex means you don't get "distractions" from the opposite sex and is meant to make it easier to focus on exams.
    My cousin goes to an all girl school, and she fails utterly, and goes out drinking with guys every weekend. So there are some anomalies, but there are some conformed to a certain lifestyle because of what the schools gender policy is.
    19

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    146

    Default

    yes I definitely know what you mean. My sister goes to an all girls school and she isn't doing well grade wise, but she still has a load of friends that are boys so she is an anomaly too i guess lol

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MareepMan View Post
    yes I definitely know what you mean. My sister goes to an all girls school and she isn't doing well grade wise, but she still has a load of friends that are boys so she is an anomaly too i guess lol
    I guess it seems there is less variety between co-ed and single-sex schools. There is a plethora of different amounts of people in co-ed schools, and while that may be the same with single-sex schools, it is basically split between the ones who socialize outside of schoolmore frequently and do worse academically and those who socialize less, but do better academically.
    19

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Pearl of the East
    Posts
    420

    Default

    But the problem with co-educational schools is that these students are most likely more prone to premarital sex and relationships. Students who are in co-ed schools focus more on relationships and sex rather than academics so that explains why single-sex school students get higher grades.

    Not necessarily. The lack of females will not necessarily make the men gay. Other factors come into play; it may accentuate it, but not nearly as much as other factors, mostly because it's environmental, while 99% of the others are all in your head, best I can tell...
    I know that but environment caused homosexuality is a more probable cause rather than genetics and other reasons/scapegoats.
    Last edited by aquajet16; 6th May 2008 at 5:43 PM.

    Credit goes to DEXTER for this funny fanart?!



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aquajet16 View Post
    But the problem with co-educational schools is that these students are most likely more prone to premarital sex and relationships. Students who are in co-ed schools focus more on relationships and sex rather than academics so that explains why single-sex school students get higher grades.
    But that is really just personality differences. There are people who are less concupiscent in co-ed schools, that DO focus on academics, its just not as widespread problem as it is in a single sex school. What would you rather have running a future nation, someone smart with no social ability whatsoever, or someone who can talk his way into office, through public relations, although they are somewhat lacking in the intelligence department? ( I do realize that this is rather extreme. I'm not saying this is, or ever is, the case, I was simply taking each spectrum into extremes for the purpose of this arguement)
    19

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HyenaHaze View Post
    I'm not allowed anywhere near Catholic all-girl schools. On that topic, I'm going to be a lesbian no matter where I go, so.....
    You're a girl?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Pearl of the East
    Posts
    420

    Default

    But that is really just personality differences. There are people who are less concupiscent in co-ed schools, that DO focus on academics, its just not as widespread problem as it is in a single sex school.
    But personality changes according to environment and also about the peer pressure thing. Modern youths today often get girlfriends or boyfriends to look cool and mature in a society.

    Credit goes to DEXTER for this funny fanart?!



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    146

    Default

    But personality changes according to environment and also about the peer pressure thing. Modern youths today often get girlfriends or boyfriends to look cool and mature in a society.
    yes personality's do change due to the environment. But people who go to coed and single sex schools both have the same out of school environment. Most peopl spend about 7 hours a day in school, which seems a lot, but there is time for socialising afterwards. Those 7 hours are a lot, but the fact is that on both types of schools, people have the same opportunities to develop social skills outside them, as well as learn more academically within them. It's up to the person to decide if they want college smarts or street smarts.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    Yes, each person is an anomaly respecitvely, each person is different, personality is a big factor etc etc etc. But honestly, we are looking at these results as a group, where there is some arguement. There is no arguement if we just boil it down to each individual.

    Its basically a matter of personal preference, and looking at successful people in the world today. Did they go to co-ed or single sex schools? And do they focus more on things you learn academically, or on relations with people and the public?
    19

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    545

    Default

    But the problem with co-educational schools is that these students are most likely more prone to premarital sex and relationships. Students who are in co-ed schools focus more on relationships and sex rather than academics so that explains why single-sex school students get higher grades.
    What group is most likely to be in a single sex school? I'm going to assume it is a kid who has pretty restrictive parents as far a sex goes. You may be connecting two unrelated things.
    "It may be that the universe is just one of those things that happens from time to time."
    - Edward Tryon

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    into that good night
    Posts
    10,438

    Default

    Why are single-sex schools single-sex? Is there one specific reason?

    Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    63

    Default

    I don't know. I went to a co-ed school and I turned out fine.

    I had some friends who went to a single-sex (male) school. I think they've turned out ok as well.

    As for the whole "single sex schools are better because you don't get distracted by the opposite sex" tell that to the homosexual individuals who may discover their homosexuality at a single sex school.

    Regardless of which school you go to one's sexuality will always be awakened and aroused. Its a natural part of life - trying to fight it isn't going to help. But working with it to manage the urges and desires can go along way to help one keep focused.

    Anyone can thrive academically in any environment as long as they have drive, will power and are studying something that they are passionate about. The gender environment has no effect. However, I do agree that education is biased in favour of girls these days and that boys are suffering because of it. However the answer doesn't lie in segregation it lies in teacher's coming up with better lesson plans that engage boys and girls in different ways and activities.

    Also, boys should not be penalized for being active in class. I'd like to see martial arts implemented in a curriculum to help boys learn self discipline and learn how to spar.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    63

    Default

    accidental double-post
    Last edited by Ariki; 7th May 2008 at 9:12 AM. Reason: accidental double-post

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    MoreCowbell, New Zealand
    Posts
    582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aquajet16 View Post
    Also, single-sex schools promote homosexuality because of its single-sex environment.
    :O

    :O

    :O

    :O

    :O


    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

    Ref, straight away.

    I attend an all boys school, and i can say this with confidence.

    Single sex schools in general do not promote homosexuality, the person does it themselves.

    And from experience, i can say that boys do not stand in the classroom rubbing their ****s together, but work better together, and incite competition. Males are, after all, very competitive towards each other. If anything, it incites violence, not a big homosexual orgie.

    I raise another question,

    Since when is being homosexuality a bad thing? How does it make co-ed schools better?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariki View Post
    As for the whole "single sex schools are better because you don't get distracted by the opposite sex" tell that to the homosexual individuals who may discover their homosexuality at a single sex school.
    Is it the single sex school's fault that the person discovered there sexuality there? There are alot of places that have lots of males together in a group, such as the military. Does this turn them all gay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariki View Post
    Regardless of which school you go to one's sexuality will always be awakened and aroused. Its a natural part of life - trying to fight it isn't going to help. But working with it to manage the urges and desires can go along way to help one keep focused.
    Manage the urges and desires?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariki View Post
    Anyone can thrive academically in any environment as long as they have drive, will power and are studying something that they are passionate about. The gender environment has no effect.
    It does, actually. Females distract males. Males distract females. Duhh.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariki View Post
    However, I do agree that education is biased in favour of girls these days and that boys are suffering because of it. However the answer doesn't lie in segregation it lies in teacher's coming up with better lesson plans that engage boys and girls in different ways and activities.
    I believe that is segregation.. Yep Remind anyone of the times where woman weren't allowed to do math because they had smaller brains? <sarcasm> Lets elliminate maths for males! That way they'll be able to keep up!</sarcasm>

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariki View Post
    Also, boys should not be penalized for being active in class.
    They're penalised? Where? When?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariki View Post
    I'd like to see martial arts implemented in a curriculum to help boys learn self discipline and learn how to spar.
    Alot of other things help people learn self discipline. Why martial arts?


    Also, at least in the country i live, single sex schools perform better.

    1st. St Cuthburts (Single Sex Girls)
    2nd. Auckland Boys Grammar (Single Sex Boys)

    These are the only verified answers i could find, but the article doesn't show a co-ed school till 9th (which may or may not be true)
    Last edited by Regan; 7th May 2008 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Replying

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •