Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Voting Age

Default Voting Age

I am currently living in the USA, and my voting age is 18. This debate is mainly about what age you would like to be able to vote at, and why.

I would like my voting age to be 16. If you are able to drive a car at 16, why not be able to pick a president? You have the potential to kill people with a car, but yet we have the ability to vote at 18. Casting a ballot isn't nearly as deadly as possibly killing multiple numbers of people with a car. I know it's not as simple as casting a ballot, but only on rare occasions does the popular vote matter when electing a president. Normally it's only the electoral college votes. So as I said before, killing people is much worse.

At 16, most people know the difference between right and wrong. Most people at the age of 16 have been through elementary school, middle school, and almost all of high school. They obviously know how to make decisions, so why shouldn't they vote?

Some may argue that the president is the leader of the country and that your vote matters more than a car or deaths. But as I said before, on rare occasions does the popular vote matter.

You can all talk now

Made by me

Quote Originally Posted by slayer54321 View Post

I would like my voting age to be 16. If you are able to drive a car at 16, why not be able to pick a president? You have the potential to kill people with a car, but yet we have the ability to vote at 18. Casting a ballot isn't nearly as deadly as possibly killing multiple numbers of people with a car. I know it's not as simple as casting a ballot, but only on rare occasions does the popular vote matter when electing a president. Normally it's only the electoral college votes. So as I said before, killing people is much worse.
    i agree. you drive a car, you possibly kill someone. you vote, you possibly pick a president that will vandalize america. either one is BAD BAD BAD.
    I have left serebii due to inactivity and losing interest in pokemon.

I agree with 18, people are far more responsible. And I also think the driving age should be 18. For the same responsibility reasons. and you see, voting can in a sense have a lot more consequences. 18 is a fine age.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    I agree with 18, people are far more responsible. And I also think the driving age should be 18. For the same responsibility reasons. and you see, voting can in a sense have a lot more consequences. 18 is a fine age.
    I'm not quite sure i understand, you'll have to explain

Made by me

At the age of 18 you're an adult. You can legally enter contracts on your own and are criminally liable. Most people have graduated from high school by then as well. So, the voting age should remain at 18.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Agreed. 18 is the generally accepted age for adulthood. Driving age should be that, and despite the fact I like it being 16, it should be 18. Its just a more generally responsible age. The majority of 18 year olds are more responsible than the majority of 16 year olds. Its pretty much that simple.

lowering it to 16 just because you can drive at that age is ridiculous. electing the most poweful man in the world is not the same as how you transport yourself.

i think the age should be higher. much higher. 18-year-olds arent responsible enough to know anything about politics. lets be honest here, people. do they own a house? do they know anything about taxes a lot?

we need the most educated voters we can get.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime View Post
    lowering it to 16 just because you can drive at that age is ridiculous. electing the most poweful man in the world is not the same as how you transport yourself.

i think the age should be higher. much higher. 18-year-olds arent responsible enough to know anything about politics. lets be honest here, people. do they own a house? do they know anything about taxes a lot?

we need the most educated voters we can get.
    Yeah, but that requires personal information on every person in the country. True, they don't know, but how can you know which ones do and don't know? Maybe only raisedto the drinking age. Though driving age doesn't need to be that high to be honest.

I think the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. The voting age is fine how it is and so you don't need to fix it.

how do i know that most of them dont know? how many own a house? they havent lived long enough to make economic decisions. living with your parents for 18 years doesnt exactly constitute as "knowing a lot about politics!"

slavery wasnt broken, btw. neither was women not voting. should we have fixed them?
    Credit to Nuit

Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

how do i know that most of them dont know? how many own a house? they havent lived long enough to make economic decisions. living with your parents for 18 years doesnt exactly constitute as "knowing a lot about politics!"

slavery wasnt broken, btw. neither was women not voting. should we have fixed them?

you can ask your parents.read the paper, etc. to learn about politics

Made by me

that isnt enough, slayer. your parents could easily suck you into what they believe in.
    Credit to Nuit

that isnt enough, slayer. your parents could easily suck you into what they believe in.
    this is true
    but the average kid can obtain information very very easily in this era

you don't have to be so contradictory

Made by me

Quote Originally Posted by slayer54321 View Post
    I am currently living in the USA, and my voting age is 18. This debate is mainly about what age you would like to be able to vote at, and why.

At 16, most people know the difference between right and wrong. Most people at the age of 16 have been through elementary school, middle school, and almost all of high school. They obviously know how to make decisions, so why shouldn't they vote?

Some may argue that the president is the leader of the country and that your vote matters more than a car or deaths. But as I said before, on rare occasions does the popular vote matter.

You can all talk now

You know what's funny about these topics? They're always written by the under 18s.

You wanna know what else is funny? These rants about the voting age always end when the person turns 18.

There are smart 16 year olds. There are also dumb 18 year olds. The point being, you don't need to be a certain age to be 'smart'. Unfortunately, there aren't enough people in the government to go around certifying people to see if they're fit to vote. That's part of the downside of living in a democracy; You have lots of idiots out there who can vote(and who, sadly, do vote) and generally make their decision based on what color tie the man is wearing.

By the age of 18, hopefully you have enough common sense to understand the issues, think about the short and long term benefits of each canidate and their policies and have the intelligence to pick accordingly.

they can look up issues all they want but they will never understand them without taking college courses on things like economics or living through life paying taxes for a few years.
    Credit to Nuit

In the Netherlands it's both 18, and I'm fine with that. When I walk down the street I see sooo many people around the age of 16 and I can't imagine they would be able to drive in a car in the USA. It's just that, the MOST of them (not all) are only childs yet! How are you supposed to vote for a president on that age when you don't even know a single thing about politics. Sure, some 16 year olds can do that, but because the most of them can't, and the whole country has to have 1 age at which you can drive a car and vote for a president, the most people agree that 18 is the best age. Otherwise, if you choose to raise it to around 20, the most people will start threads like this and protest that it's unfair and such I just think it's fine, both on 18.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fujitsu View Post
    OMFG. It can learn Harden and String Shot? That obviously makes it an uber.

they can look up issues all they want but they will never understand them without taking college courses on things like economics or living through life paying taxes for a few years.
    You don't have to go to college to learn about economy
    it can be learned about elsewhere

Made by me

and thats where enough to understand it fully? and even then, how can you trust little teens to research?
    Last edited by GhostAnime; 6th May 2008 at 10:32 PM.
    Credit to Nuit

Slavery was always broken. So was sexism. They needed fixing since their inception.

Also, do you own a house? Then how do you know that 18 year olds need to own one to vote? It is quite possible that there are 18 year olds that are politically active, follow presidential debates and everything, heck there are people even younger doing so. I'm 15, you're 17, neither of us own a house, neither of us can vote, but do you consider yourself to understand politics?

but they arent the majority. thats the main point.

do i consider myself to understand? enough to know which vision i prefer between two democrats. ive been active for the past 6 months.

Slavery was always broken. So was sexism.
    and i deem these broken the same way i deem the voting age 'broken' is what i was trying to get across. if you lived in those times, they sure as hell wouldnt seem broken to you. i just want better reasoning than just "well nothing's wrong so lets not doing anything about it" but there is always room for improvement.
    Credit to Nuit

Younger demographics are significantly less likely to:

1) have left home; their vote is more likely to be influenced by parents and family
    2) remember (or have studied) life under a different administration; therefore they have no reliable point of comparison
    3) have life experience (e.g. employment); so on what basis should they have a say on government policies?

You cannot compare the right to drive with the right to vote. For one, the effects of the former are local, while the consequences of the latter are national/global.

I'm honestly not sure what to do about this. I think the whole idea of gaining the ability to vote based on age is pretty flawed, as there are a great deal of people over 18 who don't know the slightest thing about most significant issues, and plenty of people under 18 who actually attempt to research and understand the issues and have a far more reasonable viewpoint than many adults. I realize that there are quite a lot of minors who know ridiculously little about politics, but I think it's somewhat unfair to exclude those who do... but I'm not sure how anyone could statistically determine which minors knew enough to vote.

there is no way to do that; unless you want to give out a test (i think this could be feasible if done right).

otherwise, raise the age.
    Credit to Nuit

there is no way to do that; unless you want to give out a test (i think this could be feasible if done right).

otherwise, raise the age.
    A test would be an interesting idea, but then that brings up the question of what exactly it would be testing (general knowledge? political knowledge?) A test of reasoning would be a good idea in my opinion. Then again, the idea of any sort of test could be considered somewhat discriminatory, as it's essentially stating that one person's opinion is much more valid than someone else's.

And also, on the topic of raising the voting age. It's obvious that the average 20-year-old will be smarter than the average 18-year-old, but then the average 22-year-old will be as well. Doesn't that mean that, by this argument, one could raise the voting age into the fourties or fifties, as we would be "getting the most experienced voters we can get"?

Well, what about the people who are old enough to vote, but don't follow/care about politics. Then election day comes and they end up voting for the Marijuana (sp?) party as a joke.

And yes, there is Marijuana party in Canada.

So, GhostAnime, using your logic, no one should be able to vote because some of the people in that age group don't care about politics.
    Last edited by muumajii23; 7th May 2008 at 12:48 AM.
    STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS!
    Round 1: Vancouver Canucks - 1 Vs. Chicago Blackhawks - 1
    GO CANUCKS!

PASBL Stats

Oh, did I mention when I see you it stings like hell?
    Due to the fact that we could have something,
    that'll never happen...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast