Welcome to the Penguinshipping General Discussion Thread! This thread is a place for Penguinshippers, as well as non-supporters, and anyone else who happens to come across this thread, to discuss the relationship of Kenny (Kengo) and Dawn (Hikari). I am aware that this shipping is not very popular, though I'm hoping for the fanbase to increase as the Sinnoh saga goes on. Anyways, there are a few things you should read before posting, so please scroll down to read them.
1. All SPPf Rules apply. You should also read the Shipping FAQ and Rules if you have not done so already as well.
2. If it is your first time posting here, please remember to give a few reasons why you support Penguinshipping - or if you don't support it, why you are posting here.
3. Please use spoiler tags when talking about the Japanese episodes that have not been dubbed yet.
4. If you are going to post fan art, remember to link back to the artist's website. Do not post fan art without giving credit to the original artist.
5. Please keep your posts more than one line long, otherwise it will be considered as spam, and I (or any of the other Shipping Mods) can and will infract you for it.
6. No bashing of any kind will be tolerated. You can dislike other shippings or characters that "get in the way" of Penguinshipping all you want, but do not express your dislike for them here. As with spam, an infraction can be issued for bashing.
7. Respect others' opinions - remember, not everyone is going to agree with you and vice versa.
8. The most important rule of all - have fun and enjoy posting here!
FYI; Mel-Girl is the second owner of this thread. She has the authority to enforce the above rules when I am not online or I'm not looking at the thread.
Penguinshipping is called Penguinshipping due to Kenny and Dawn both having penguin pokémon: Piplup and Prinplup. Kenny is Dawn's childhood friend and now rival in Pokémon Contests. They have known each other since nursery school, and have shown to be very close to one another, differing from the normal rivalries shown in the animé. Kenny enjoys teasing Dawn and embarrassing her with his "Dawn stories," but is a good friend to her in general. He calls her "Dee Dee" ("Pikari" in the Japanese version), a nickname from her childhood, but as to why, no one knows yet. The story behind it has yet to be revealed, if Dawn will allow it, that is. A list of hints and cute moments between them is listed below, so check it out if you would like to know more.
• In Getting the Pre-Contest Titters!, Kenny shows that he likes to tease Dawn by telling embarrassing stories about her from when she was younger to Ash and Brock, as well as calling her "Dee Dee" ("Pikari" in the Japanese version), a nickname from her childhood. Dawn won't reveal the story behind it, but it must be really embarrassing if she doesn't even want her friends to know about it.
• Kenny seemed to be a bit jealous over Ash and Dawn traveling together.
• In the same episode, Kenny seems to be speechless when he sees Dawn in her Contest Dress. Dawn says, "Hm, something wrong? Oh! You're just speechless after seeing me wearing a dress, right?" Kenny blushes and tries to change the subject, "Come on, that's crazy!" He continues to blush as Dawn asks, "Then what's the big deal, huh?" "Nothing!" "Don't you think I'm pretty?"
• In Journey to the Unown!, Kenny teases Dawn about not knowing Aipom's evolution, Ambipom. He again refers to her as "Dee Dee," leaving Ash curious once more. Dawn blushes, and shouts out, "NO!" while also stretching out Ash's mouth into a smile to keep him from saying any more. Brock comments, "I guess we all have our secrets." Maybe it isn't a hint, maybe it is, but is it possible for "Dee Dee" to have something to do with Kenny?
• At the very end of the episode, Kenny agrees to help Ash teach Turtwig Energy Ball as long as he doesn't tell Dawn how freaked out he was back in the ruins. Ash agrees as Kenny blushes and Dawn looks back at them, confused. Brock ends the episode with the comment, "Like I said, everyone's got secrets hidden in their closet." It seems he was referring to Kenny having a crush on Dawn or a possible one, though I guess we'll all just have to wait and see if that's true or not.
• At the end of Team Shocker! Kenny says, "Gotta get ready for the next Contest! You're going to be there, too, right, Dee Dee?" Dawn replies, "I don't...think so. Not the next one...I guess." Kenny responds back, "Look Dee Dee! There's no way I'm gonna let ya quit Contests, at least until I've had a chance to beat you, understand?" Dawn replies back, "Okay, no need to worry, I'll be there!" Kenny walks off, looking very concerned. He seems very worried about her.
• In Pruning a Passel of Pals! and Strategy With a Smile!, Kenny is shown watching Dawn's appeal and her battle against May in the Wallace Cup on TV at a Pokémon Center. Not exactly a hint, but a nice way to remind everyone that he still cares about Dawn, even though the two have not seen each other in a while.
Spoiler:- DP123 Spoilers:
All Penguinshipping icons and banners will be here for your use. Just remember to credit the maker of the graphic wherever you use it.
Links; Full & Split: 01 | 02
If you would like to contribute graphics or anything of the sort for this thread, PM me!