Thread: The Surskit Factor

Default The Surskit Factor

Surskit is a water/bug type which are the two types that net balls are best at catching. My question is...

Would catching a Surskit be easier since it is both Bug and water or would the chances be the same with a net ball as a regular water or bug type?
    BLACK TEAM!
    (I have claimed Honchkrow, the Don)
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/xfnpc5.png[/IMG][IMG]http://i56.*******.com/21l4h6t.png[/IMG]
    R.I.P. Shiny Dusknoir and Shiny Ratticate
        Spoiler:- Credit:

Wow, that's a really good question and I honestly don't know. If I had to make a guess, I'd say that the net balls work twice as good. For a timer ball, for instance, there is a specific formula for the catch rate. As turns go by, a higher percent for catching is stacked. Considering that ball's catch ratio can increase by more than one factor (different sets of turn lengths) I'd only assume that both the water and bug characteristics would come into play as long has they don't hit a cap for the catch rate.

~~

I would have to agree with Nidogod. I would think that since, say, you were using a water-type move against a fire/ground type. Since water is super effective against both of those types, it doubles the already doubled damage (I think I am right on this, not completely sure). I would think the same principles apply to those kinds of balls.

I have wondered about this before too, actually, but I can confirm that Net Ball's effect does not get stacked with Surskit (contrary to what I originally thought). It can only double its catch rate once.

How can you tell?

~~

Because if it is stacked, then the catch rate would be at near 100% (perhaps exactly 100%, I don't remember), which means that the first Net Ball you throw would catch it more than you fail. Obviously, it still breaks more so it can't be stacked factor.

Well, I just did the actual math and came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter.

Catch rate:

Catch = Ball(((TotalHP x 4 - CurrentHP x 2) x CatchRate) / TotalHP + Status)

Assuming my math is right (which it NEVER is) even with one mod there is over a 100% chance to catch the Surskit without inflicting it with status or weakening it. If the Pokemon is bug or water the Ball value is 3 making it 50% more powerful than an ultra ball.

Along with that, I was wrong at first. I was going on the assumption that a timer ball stacks its values as the battle goes on. It actually replaces the value to the next highest when the turns are high enough. That means there is still one ball value, and according to that formula the ball value doesn't move. With that in mind, Surskit registers as bug or water but not both.

~~

Quote Originally Posted by Nidogod View Post
    Well, I just did the actual math and came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter.

Catch rate:

Catch = Ball(((TotalHP x 4 - CurrentHP x 2) x CatchRate) / TotalHP + Status)

Assuming my math is right (which it NEVER is) even with one mod there is over a 100% chance to catch the Surskit without inflicting it with status or weakening it. If the Pokemon is bug or water the Ball value is 3 making it 50% more powerful than an ultra ball.

Along with that, I was wrong at first. I was going on the assumption that a timer ball stacks its values as the battle goes on. It actually replaces the value to the next highest when the turns are high enough. That means there is still one ball value, and according to that formula the ball value doesn't move. With that in mind, Surskit registers as bug or water but not both.
    Yes, the value is replaced, not stacked, well done on working that out though ^_^ I only found out because I used a ball catch rate calculator, and Surskit's catch rate with Net Ball was the same as any other Bug or Water Pokémon.

I only found out because I used a ball catch rate calculator
    >_> And here I was scribbling on a piece of paper saying to myself, "156% chance of catching with no damage or status and only one ball mod? Hmmmmmm."

~~

Quote Originally Posted by Nidogod View Post
    >_> And here I was scribbling on a piece of paper saying to myself, "156% chance of catching with no damage or status and only one ball mod? Hmmmmmm."
    If it makes you feel better, I really admire the way you went about it =) Its very impressive!