Thread: The Spirit - An Excercise in Rage

Default The Spirit - An Excercise in Rage

The teaser poster for Sin City 1.5

It's that time again for my monthly Spirit thread, in which I rage at the very idea of Frank Miller getting his mitts on a beloved classic character. The teaser trailer, which depicts Eisner's street level, non spectacular hero, running across wires and doing front flips over rooftops, is bad enough. Now here's some shots from the film, just for good measure.

Samuel L. Jackson as the Octopus, the film's primary antagonist.
    Apparently Miller took "Terrorist Master of Disguise, Who Never Shows His Face" to mean "Flamboyantly Gay Black Man."

Scarlett Johansen as Silken Floss.
    Once again Miller's love of WHORESWHORESWHORESmakes it's presence known, as Silken Floss is changed from a master surgeon and scientist to The Octopus' whorish femme fatale secretary. Lovely.
    Last edited by Archimedes; 20th May 2008 at 11:31 PM.

Gaze ye upon perfection and kill yourself

locke.yggdrasill says:
    Justin's got his shet straight when he says I come at the weirdest things.

On the one hand, I really do appreciate Miller's style. On the other, I agree that it sucks to see one of the few ground-level comic characters *******ized.

On the third hand, Samuel L. Jackson looks like he walked right out of Hellsing, which is also Miller-derivative, so I don't really know where I'm goin with this other than the fact that it's ridiculous.

Looks ****ing funny.
    .TraX. - The sleepy one.

I think my will to laugh has just been taken away.

Another shot of Jackson's Octopus, going out of his way to make his presence known.

The film's titular character. Despite the color change, it actually doesn't look half bad.
    On the one hand, I really do appreciate Miller's style. On the other, I agree that it sucks to see one of the few ground-level comic characters *******ized.
    He also felt the need to change the character's origin, so rather than just going into a deathlike coma for a few days, The Spirit actually died and then came back with superpowers. Wut?
    On the third hand, Samuel L. Jackson looks like he walked right out of Hellsing, which is also Miller-derivative, so I don't really know where I'm goin with this other than the fact that it's ridiculous.
    I'm guessing the Hellsing resemblance is purely coincidental, considering the number of "disguises"(ranging from gay pimp to negroe samurai) which have been shown off so far.

locke.yggdrasill says:

This movie looks awesome.

I need to go watch Sin City.

Quote Originally Posted by Narutopokedude View Post
    This movie looks awesome.

I need to go watch Sin City.
    I take it you've never read an issue of The Spirit in your life? That and a fanatical devotion to Miller's work could be the only explanations for such insane comments.

locke.yggdrasill says:

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    I take it you've never read an issue of The Spirit in your life? That and a fanatical devotion to Miller's work could be the only explanations for such insane comments.
    You just want to bang Samuel L. Jackson, don't you?