Thread: Teardrops On My Guitar [Songfic] Rated G

Hybrid View

Default Teardrops On My Guitar [Songfic] Rated G

This is my first songfic so hopefully it's not too bad. Anyways, it's a oneshot, set after episode AG035, "Win, Lose or Drew!" So, enjoy! Also, I don't, in any way own Pokémon or the song "Teardrops On My Guitar" (Just to clear things up ) Aaaaah, and this is Advanceshipping, so if you were expecting Contestshipping I'm sorry to disappoint you. ^^;

Teardrops On My Guitar

Song: "Teardrops On My Guitar [Radio Single Version]"
    Artist: Taylor Swift
    Album: Taylor Swift [Deluxe]

"I'm sorry, Beautifly. I failed you. I just wasn't good enough and I - I'm sorry. I'm truly, deeply, very sorry. Will you forgi-"

The door burst open suddenly, as a young raven-haired trainer stepped into the dark room. Moonlight streamed through the window casting a glow on the brunette coordinator sitting on the bed with a Beautifly upon her head.

"May?" Ash looked at her, strangely.

"A-Ash!" May stammered as she returned her Beautifly into its Poké ball, whispering to it, "We'll finish this later."

"May?" Ash questioned again, "Is everything alright?"

"Wh-what? Oh! Yeah, yeah! Everything's fine! Totally fine!" May laughed, her voice unusually fast and skittish, as she continued. "Fine, fine, fine! Why wouldn't I be? Oh would you look at that? It's getting late! Shouldn't you be getting your rest? I guess I'll see you in the mor-"

"It's 7:30, May," Ash interrupted, an eyebrow raised, "and we haven't even eaten yet." An awkward silence settled in the room. May cleared her throat uncomfortably, but then grew quiet.

"Are you sure everything's alright?" Ash asked flipping on the light switch. "May! What's wrong?" Ash immediately rushed over to the little wooden chair next to the bed. May had obviously been crying.

Sighing she told him, "I know I said I'm done crying, but - but I feel like I've failed, not only me, but Beautifly, too. And it just - it just hurts so much."

"Oh May. It's alright, don't cry, you didn't fail Beautifly. You've done the best you could. And it's partly my fault. I should've spent more time teaching you, training you, and showing you -"

Wiping her eyes, May interrupted, "Oh, never mind Ash. Don't beat yourself up over it. It's nothing really .It's just been a long day." She smiled reassuringly at Ash, who didn't seem very convinced.

"Honestly May, it was pretty good for a first timer."

But not good enough, May thought as she looked at Ash. However she merely laughed as she told him, "Oh Ash, you worry too much. I'm fine. Really!" she insisted. She leaned over Ash, suddenly, turning on the radio. A song was just ending, and she gasped as the next song started. "I love this song! I know exactly how she feels." May stated, making herself comfortable as she sat back down on the bed, her eyes closed as she mouthed the words.

Ash raised an eyebrow, unprepared for what he heard next.

Drew looks at me, I fake a smile so he won't see
    That I want and I'm needing everything that we should be
    I'll bet she's beautiful, that girl he talks about
    And she's got everything that I have to live without

May thought about her crush, knowing exactly how Taylor Swift felt. Of course, she thought, almost giggling to herself, he would never talk to her about girls.

Meanwhile, Ash's mind was racing. He had gotten a bad feeling when he heard the first word in the song. Drew?! Ash thought to himself, did she- does May like Drew?

Drew talks to me, I laugh 'cuz it's just so funny
    That I can't even see anyone when he's with me
    He says he's so in love, he's finally got it right
    I wonder if he knows he's all I think about at night

May, whose eyes were still closed, noticed nothing odd about Ash's demeanor as she tried to contemplate her thoughts. She couldn't picture her crush in love, much less talking to her about it. He was too focused on his goals.

He's the reason for the teardrops on my guitar
    The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star
    He's the song in the car, I keep singing, don't know why I do

Meanwhile, Ash was cursing to himself as he tried to figure out if May indeed did have a crush on Drew.

Drew walks by me, can he tell that I can't breathe?
    And there he goes, so perfectly
    The kind of flawless I wish I could be
    She'd better hold him tight, give him all her love
    Look in those beautiful eyes and know she's lucky 'cause

Oh, May knew that he wasn't the dictionary definition of perfect - no one was. He had his flaws like everyone else, for example he could be arrogant and cocky at times, but he seemed to accept his flaws with good grace, which made him perfect in her dictionary.

The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star
    He's the song in the car,
    I keep singing, don't know why I do

Ash frowned thinking about the green-haired coordinator. He never really liked Drew from the first moment he saw him, in fact May's squabbles with Drew reminded him of his competitions with Gary Oak. He felt for May, understanding what it was like to have such a cocky headed rival that did have a reason to be cocky. He remembered losing his first encounter with Gary, the anger and the sting of the pain as the truth hit, feeling like he wasn't good enough, like he'd never be good enough. Oh did he know.

So I drive home alone, as I turn out the light
    I'll put his picture down and maybe
    Get some sleep tonight, 'cuz

May sighed as she thought about him. She sometimes wished she could just let him go. Girls, dates, and crushes would surely be the last thing on his mind. Besides, he probably didn't feel the way she did about him.

Ash felt tortured trying to figure out if May liked Drew, and why he should care. It was her business after all, not his. Yet, he felt like he should ask, like he had to ask.

May was still thinking about him, his smile, when Ash called to her suddenly. She opened her deep blue eyes as they met Ash's gaze. "Yes? What is it Ash?"

"May," Ash began, lowering his eyes, "May, May, Ma-"

"Ash?" Now it was her turn to be concerned. "What's wrong?"

"May," Ash took a deep breath, "do you have - I mean do you - do you. Well you know, do you like Drew? Like, like him, like him?" He looked away as if he was almost afraid of the answer. When May didn't answer, he got up muttering bitterly, "Never mind. I never should've asked. It's not my business anyway. Dinner's almost ready. I'll see you downstai-"

The only one who's got enough of me to break my heart
    He's the song in the car, I keep singing, don't know why I do
    He's the time taken up, but there's never enough
    And he's all that I need to fall into...

"No." May replied looking up at Ash. The question and bluntness had taken her by surprise. But she recovered and repeated, "No, Ash. No I don't like him. Not like that." May crossed the room, turning off the radio along the way as she wrapped her arms around Ash, burying her face into his shirt. Surprised, he wrapped an arm around her, patting her back awkwardly, yet lovingly.

"You big dummy, no I don't like Drew like that." She laughed her quiet little laugh as she looked up at Ash. "Alright?" She asked, "Now let's go. I'm getting hungry."

"Yes, okay," Ash replied nodding, happily.

"No, Drew's not the one I like, he's not the one at all," May whispered.

Drew looks at me, I fake a smile so he won't see

Ash looked at May; she faked a smile so he wouldn't see...

Was the ending a little corny? Sorry, but please comment, tell me your thoughts on this! Was it good, was it bad, was it so terrible it hurt your eyes?? Please! Do tell!
    Last edited by FadedRibbon; 10th August 2008 at 12:26 AM.

i thinks its good. i nevered a song-fic would be good. keep it going!

Please mention what shipping this story includes. Thank you. ^^
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

Talking A 4 and a half star rating!

I think it was great,and your lucky cause' I rarely approve anything but Contestshipping and you really had me hanging there, I really thought that May had a crush on Drew not Ash. I'll give this a 4 and a half out of 5.You know I could really get into this kind of songfic thing with writers like you in it.I also love this because Tear Drops On My Guitar is my favorite song and Taylor Swift is my favorite song writer because I'm a Contestshipper so to me it seems like this song was made for May and Drew(or mostly May).You should really continue I would love to read more.
    Last edited by crissy111; 5th June 2008 at 6:27 PM.

CONTESTSHIPPING IS THE BEST!!!
    MAY & DREW FOREVER
    I'm a total Twilight Saga fan,too.
    Picture credit:
    Nishi06
    DeviantART
    Link: http://nishi06.deviantart.com/art/po...194?moodonly=1

Why thanks for the awesome comments! ^^ And to what Encyclopika said, I've purposefully left out the ship. I thought this song is awesome for May too, and everyone immediately assumes Contestshipping, so I figured, why not split apart form the others? Sorry if I fooled you guys ^^;;. Besides it's not really the name that matters, moreover it's the theme of the song, so even though the lyrics say 'Drew' well...
    Thanks crissy111, you flatter me, and it's awesome to know that you liked it, even if it wasn't Contestshipping!

^The problem was, was that my post was a legal-type post, and by the rules of this forum, if you post a shipping fic, you must include what ships are included. Sorry, but rules are rules. =(
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

Siiigh... That's quite all right, I understand. I guess I'll have to fix up the post, unless there's a way to rename the board? O.o These are the mysteries that haunt me. Just kidding