Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cream of the Croagunk Crop (550)

Nice episode, I've just got one question.
    What is up with Wake's face? I didn't pay too much attention to it in the games
    but really...is that a mask? are those his eyebrows? face paint? I can't tell.

Wake is a funny guy, didn't get why he didn't own a Croagunk. (I've always thought Croagunk should have been a poison/water type.)

Hamilton's edit was well done, I wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't know there was an edit.

Meowth was great, didn't like TR's timing with the Croagunk mecha though.

Last thing, the music in this episode gave me the vibe that Pastoria City is a southern hick town. Lol I liked that, it really had an atmosphere all its own.
    FC - 4339-3819-1503
    Safari Type is Bug

This episode was really funny.
    My favorite part was when Meowth broke his paw on the blocks.
    The edit looked great. If I didn't see the episode in Japanese, I wouldn't have even known that something was changed.
    8/10

I squeeed so much through this episode XD
    I thought I was going to miss it, because of work, but to my delight it was played earlier then usual (Ecto no pay attention to news lul )

I love how Hamiltons' croagunk was named Craig. That was my croagunks name before he evolved hehe.

One would think a franchise thats been around as long as Pokemon would know to ask permission before useing someone elses character design though, hmmm.

"Sooooo... what are you wearing?"
    http://www.corvigryph.deviantart.com/

Here's my card 0044 3885 1394

I think the blue Wake is wearing is a mask, but I'm not too sure. His face is qutie hard to decipher!
    nothing lasts forever, but this is getting good now.
    ~I've claimed Turtwig~

Quote Originally Posted by kiara911 View Post
    vacuum wave is a...heart?!?!?
    i thought it would be a vacuum or something
    sucking up the opponent and swallowing them whole -.-
    I think Vacuum Wave can become any shape that the trained Pokemon is used to. I kind of doubt after this episode every vacuum wave will look like a heart, I think it depends on the Pokemon.

And in the games, it doesn't suck up the opponent, it looks like a real "punch." It is special like "aura sphere, and focus blast" so I think it's a "wind" type punch.
    Last edited by dman_dustin; 15th November 2008 at 10:54 PM.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by triscuitmelon View Post
    This is the reference Gravy posted earlier (what show is this from?)
    http://www.geocities.com/TheGustyFro...as/Image27.jpg
    Dokonjō Gaeru.

If anyone goes to Filb.de and watches their preview for the Japanese episode, he was changed in the original as well.

Quite odd, really. The preview itself, I mean. =/

You don't want to know. Trust me. =P

Current PASBL stats: 12-5-0, 25 KO's, 73 TP. LVL 2 Trainer. B ref (Not reffing at the moment)

"I really f***ing hate you both" -Mozz (In memory of his awesomeness)

Having said that, they could have at least tried to keep the guy high up on the unique scale. I suppose it may save a bit of time, but slapping Masato's haircut onto yet another character is pretty lame. :P
    Ah, I knew the hair looked familliar. I wanted to say Kenny's. :P

On a positive note, Craig was the name of my Croagunk in Diamond.

Also:

The time when everyone was complaining about Onigiri-paintovers are OVER!

Now that's time for CHARACTER REPAINTINGS!
    TO ARMS!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Korobooshi Kojiro; 16th November 2008 at 1:03 AM.

One thing bothered me about this episode: In James' flashback, he had the same voice he does now. I was expecting to hear a more "childlike" voice... very weird.

Other than that, this was a good episode...

DeviantART Studio Jupiter (TBA)

It was wierd how they didn't show Meowth scream like a banchee during the Brick Break. Guess they didn't want meowth to be a fake Croagunk.

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

The episode consisted of countless hilarious and great scenes which are worth talking about, so that I would "insult" today's plot, if I didn't fully cover them.

So, here I go:

Well, first of all, I really liked Crasher Wake. Man, what a impressive, muscular guy! I liked everthing on him: His stature and sportiness, his entertainer qualities and last but not least, his kindness! I'm really looking forward to seeing if he'll turn out to be a tough battler as well.

Sunny boy James and stressed Jessie and Meowth wading through the marsh...just funny (This kinda reminds me of that Hoenn episode when James was eager to train in this "boot camp" on a lonely island while Jessie and Meowth were totally exhausted and depressed ^^ Can you still remember?)

Brock losing it completely when seeing Nurse Joy was hilarious once again.It is always something special when he is drawn like a kitschy romantic lover with his eyes being a bit opened.:lol:
    But what pleased me most was the following wedding scene where Ash was wearing a suit. Great! Ash even looks handsome in a suit! Does somebody happen to have a screenshot of this?Unfortunately I don't know how to do this.

Of course, I haven't forgotten to mention Meowth's "impressive" karate performance. One word: Priceless! Frankly, I did expect him to break at leat a few bricks, but the more surprising the result, the funnier the whole scene was actually! Poor Meowth! And that, although it was so determined to win.
    Without any doubt, this was the THE funniest moment in today's episode!

Then of course, Dawn's repeated remark "I can't tell them apart" and " I still can't tell them apart". You know what? I thought exactly the same :lol: After having realized this, I couldn't help laughing!

And finally, Ash's (how shall I call it) "dance" at the very end of the episode. It was only lasting a few seconds, but it comes right after Meowth's show in terms of entertainment. Yeah, I really got a lot of entertainment from it and it still makes me laugh when I think back to when our favorite trainer jumped around clumsily and moved like a snake.:lol::lol:

This episode definitely belongs to the category "Comedy". But these episode have their justification as well, because they cause the necessary cheerfulness and relaxation before important episodes with hopefully epic plots.

My decision is clear: Amazing episode, great entertainment. This festival atmosphere makes you think back to summer. Just remember Ash's words "Let's party ,Pikachu", play Kid Rock's "All summer Long", and I promise you, even the worst mood will change immediately! :bounce: :cheers:

8 out of 10 points
    ASH FOR THE WIN!
    Pokémon veteran since 1999

Words of wisdom from Serebii Chat:
    [01:37] <Brainless> I hate the WORLD.
    [01:37] <Trainer_Trixie> trade your soul on wifi

Yay! I had a day off from work today, so I decided I was going to "acquire" this episode and watch it on the same day (to get back to my routine). I think I should say that I've quoted a few things, as I've found out that this works quite well for getting my opinion across; more-so than I originally thought.

However, let's get one group of quotes out of the way first...
    Quote Originally Posted by Korobooshi Kojiro View Post
    HOLY ****.

They...edited that one kid.

I kid you not, the COTD looks totally different. It's bizarre...:0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenpachi View Post
    Hamilton's edit was well done, I wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't know there was an edit.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtwigFan1 View Post
    The change of that kid was great, his hair looks so natural even like it was brown in the original. I can't wait to see the episode!
    Quote Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
    That's the first thing I thought when I saw Hamilton too! Totally weird. I didn't really care for the original, so I was kinda ok with this change.
    Quote Originally Posted by flaremaster View Post
    The Average (didn't mind at all)
    - Hamilton's hair was changed from the Japanese version to the dub, Possibly by the animators for unknown reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by triscuitmelon View Post
    Yeeeah, true. I had to double-take at first because it was so well done.

This is the reference Gravy posted earlier (what show is this from?)
    http://www.geocities.com/TheGustyFro...as/Image27.jpg

So maybe it was due to legal issues.

Ah well, that distraction aside, the dub did a good job! It was just as enjoyable, tho kid!James' voice irked me a bit since he didn't even try XD
    The weird thing is, it doesn't look like a dub edit. You wouldn't even know if you didn't see the original. His hair was like flawlessy changed yet his face remains the same.
    All these to saw, despite the dub edit, it was quite the impressive shot. In fact, the only thing I remember from that guy was that he had Croagunk of his torso. Really, I had forgotten about his hair and shades.

In fact, this is a nice dub edit: it's there, yet you don't complain because it doesn't really change much. And yet, you kind of have to have seen it.

All in all, good work PUSA; you've proven you can apparently do dub edits properly now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
    It is kind of a shame that he was changed, since it's not like it was a case of malicious plagarisation. It was what can only be assumed as a friendly nod to an older show. Granted, it probably wasn't the best idea to follow the design of the original character that closely, so it's perfectly understandable that someone would sound the alarm.
    When you think about it, the U.S. is always paranoid about somekind of random lawsuit... not sure if this would validate it though.

Quote Originally Posted by ash_forever View Post
    Well, first of all, I really liked Crasher Wake. Man, what a impressive, muscular guy! I liked everthing on him: His stature and sportiness, his entertainer qualities and last but not least, his kindness! I'm really looking forward to seeing if he'll turn out to be a tough battler as well.
    I have to say, the voice used for him worked pretty well. Gave him a big and jolly vibe to him, which is appropriate.

Brock losing it completely when seeing Nurse Joy was hilarious once again.It is always something special when he is drawn like a kitschy romantic lover with his eyes being a bit opened.:lol:
    But what pleased me most was the following wedding scene where Ash was wearing a suit. Great! Ash even looks handsome in a suit! Does somebody happen to have a screenshot of this?Unfortunately I don't know how to do this.
    I enjoy the caption thread, and for that I did my typical screencap for this episode. And your in luck, as I happen to have that picture (strange, for a split second, I had entirely forgotten that scene while watching it).

So your wish is my command. But please don't take that literally... you just so happened to have a request I was able to accomplish, that's all.

Then of course, Dawn's repeated remark "I can't tell them apart" and " I still can't tell them apart". You know what? I thought exactly the same :lol: After having realized this, I couldn't help laughing!
    Let's not forget that Brock's Croagunk filled in that one cliche in where the hero always seems to win at things when he goes somewhere else. I'm not sure what it's actually called, but it works. Of course, Croagunk is Croagunk, he's gonna do what he's gotta do.

This episode definitely belongs to the category "Comedy". But these episode have their justification as well, because they cause the necessary cheerfulness and relaxation before important episodes with hopefully epic plots.
    Comedy is one of the major reasons I've loved this show. Sure, it's as repetitive as the games can be, but the comedy (although a bit... lame at times) still manages to keep my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Dattebayo View Post
    I'm surprised Jason Griffith (Sonic's voice actor) starred in this episode, which made me quite happy.
    I was shocked too (at first because apparently my "copy" had credits. Usually they don't for me.). And then shocked again when I noticed how many people were voicing, and then noticing Jason Griffith. I'm not sure, but in the 4Kids dub, did he ever voice someone?

Still, can't believe he voiced Hamilton. This one's got a lot surprises I wasn't ready for. Good ones though, I'll say that much.

- Only 9 pieces compared to the Riolu special, which kept all of it.
    At least the banjos were kept. Those were necessary. Seriously, you can't have a frog festival without having banjos play. I don't know why, but it sort of... fits perfectly

The downsides
    - I usually love the dub voices, but Hamilton's by Jason Griffith was abysmal, It sounds like his voice of Sonic. I hate that voice. That's one actor I was REALLY hoping PUSA would stay FAR AWAY from.
    Strange, I didn't even realize he was even there until I saw the credits...

Having said that, they could have at least tried to keep the guy high up on the unique scale. I suppose it may save a bit of time, but slapping Masato's haircut onto yet another character is pretty lame. :P
    I don't see the resemblance... how is that Max's haircut?

Nice episode, I've just got one question.
    What is up with Wake's face? I didn't pay too much attention to it in the games
    but really...is that a mask? are those his eyebrows? face paint? I can't tell.
    It's a mask. When he turns his head, you can sort of see where the bands connect to the back of it.

Last thing, the music in this episode gave me the vibe that Pastoria City is a southern hick town. Lol I liked that, it really had an atmosphere all its own.
    I watched the original, and for once, I'm actually glad they decided to keep it in. I dunno, something about banjos, Croagunk, and a Marsh sort of go hand in hand.

Overall, a very nice episode and one of the few that I actually watched the original version prior to this. Mainly because of Croagunk. And I'm rather glad I did!

I also found the destruction of Team Rocket's mecha to almost be a classic revival; another character takes it out, Ash and Pikachu follow up with Thunderbolt.

I found this rather amusing: Crasher Wake looking coincidentally like a wrestler, the arena that Brock and Hamilton's Croagunks fought looked like a wrestling ring. Hehe.

~C_L~

"I'm not really here that much, if at all. I've moved on, to a different site."

"But, it's been fun. I'll come back every so often, but for the most part, I won't post much."

- Cobaltios

Pretty sure JAPAN changed it to advoid a lawsuit that might've been raised, since I hear subsequent airings had it fixed.

Also, Jason Griffith sucks.

I'll admit I found both guys' voices to be a bit annoying, but that's just me.

Also, am I the only one who watched the dance at the end and thought of What's Michael?

Pretty sure JAPAN changed it to advoid a lawsuit that might've been raised, since I hear subsequent airings had it fixed.
    So, dub edit, or late Japan edit? This is a first, for me, where the Japanese version is later edited. Meh, not a big deal...

Also, Jason Griffith sucks.
    I don't give a damn. Entertainment is entertainment; as long as I'm not bored, it's all good. Oh, and apparently, I found out that he did the voice of Sir Aaron in movie 8. I did not know that. I think he may have also voiced someone else... but it's not really that important.

~C_L~

"I'm not really here that much, if at all. I've moved on, to a different site."

"But, it's been fun. I'll come back every so often, but for the most part, I won't post much."

- Cobaltios

Why does everyone say he sucks? I don't see (or hear I guess) a problem with him.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

But I'm too young for thuggin love!

I am Wake SteakFace and I will be your Gym leader today.

Damn these Pastorian trains and their scrap metal engines.

Is this The Church of Croagunk?

These Croagunk treats take me back to the jolly good days of mud pie.

I'm ready for marriage. I'm tired of all that sex anyway.

That haircut has litigation written all over it.

'Bout time the old man got promoted.

I'm putting a $20 on the Croagunk.

I MUST BREAK YOU.

Oh no. Another mech gone carni and now stuffing that craving with brethren.
    Nature can be so cruel sometimes.

Who needs pokeballs? Just give me three suspenders and I'll give you TNA Impact!

Love. Every Mecha Gunk's weakness.

Hey better watch out this could lead to dancing!

Ohh speak of the devil.

7/10 An episode to slow everything down is very welcome after several months of drama. Points for the soothing new Great Marsh palette. I'm sorely disappointed this episode didn't give me one accent to work with. Spouting words like hoedown doesn't work like this!!
    Last edited by Genome; 17th November 2008 at 10:18 AM.

This episode was good. Crasher Wake’s dub voice was not what I had expected. For some reason, I expected it do be much deeper. Brock’s barging in on Hamilton and Joy’s conversation was hilarious as well as Brock’s flirting. Thought Hamilton was really annoying. The appeal of all the Croagunks was weird. Dawn’s right, they all look the same. Meowth as Croagunk was hilarious. Brock’s Croagunk breaking 10 bricks seemed impressive. Meowth breaking his arm was also hilarious. I found it a little odd that there are THAT much Croagunk scooped up by TR. Cool to see a Vacuum Wave. It was kinda funny to see Ash dance and make a fool of himself.
    My First Ever Level 100 Team:
    My Current Level 100 Team: ;635; ;598;
    70% of the Serebii population uses ultra powerful legendaries(also known as ubers) in their teams.
    If you are one of the 30% that thinks outside the box
    and doesn't use ubers, copy and paste this into your signature! (^started by SapphireL!)

To tell you the truth, I don't really have much to say about this...

Crasher Wake sure is bloody huge; I'm surprised that he isn't a pro wrestler. Also, you need to have a trained eye in order to spot the specifics on each Croagunk, which is something that Dawn doesn't have. Finally, the fact that Nurse Joy's Croagunk has won the crown sure does qualify as a twist.

That's all I have...

While I enjoyed the episode, I was pretty shocked to see how they edited Hamilton's original design from the Japanese version into the English dub. At first, I thought PUSA did this, but then again I would be wrong because the team at Pokemon Co. edit and make the designs. Also, Mataso's haircut looks similar? I can sort of see the similarity, then again, it's probably to make him have a generic look and at least he looks better in his new version right? Also, you got to love Brock and his fantasies.

Croagunk has always been pretty strange, but it's always funny to see Brock's Croagunk stop Brock's flirts when they go too far.

Y'know, I don't think PUSA changed Hamilton's appearence. I read that the japaneese animators changed it when it reran there.

This episode was weak. The dialogue didn't make any sense. The plot was like "WTH" Not much action. This one was bad in my opinion.

"My Popularity in the Pokemon Universe continues to shine like the Aura that is with me. A full-feature movie, 4 two-parter episodes from the Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos anime sagas, a 5-episode arc featuring my trainer Korrina, 3 appearances in the Smash Bros games and a Poke spokespearson for the Pokemon Trading Card commercials and the upcoming Pokken Fighters game. May I soon reach the fame that belongs to Pikachu"

3DS Friend code - 3007 9374 1244

I wasnt too keen on Hamilton he kinda a nnoyed me
    I couldnt tell them apart Dawn either hehe. Meouth dressing up as a Crogunk was quite funny and Ashs dancing at the end was funny too
    Apart from that it was an okish filler bringing in Crasher Wake(Cant beileve hes so big either!) and leading up to Ashs 4th gym battle

Did anyone else like the animation of this episode? I thought it was very well done.
    Proposed Alpha Sapphire Team

i always lol when I see Brock the way he looked when he talked about Nurse Joy.
    This episode was alright but just another filler

What you love of mine is always yours.
    Animated by me.
    Wife ~ Daughter ~ Pair ~ Twin ~ Claim

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast