Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pokémon - The Sinnoh League (10,11,12)

I don't think I have ever seen a series as polarizing as Sinnoh when it comes to Pokémon. During my time on internet forums and viewing YouTube videos, it seems like there are either the people who love Sinnoh and think it was the absolute highlight of Pokémon and that nothing can or ever will top it and then there are the people who absolutely hate it and say it was the worst season of Pokémon to date. Where do I stand? I really liked it despite its flaws. Okay, let's talk about the good stuff. The battles in this series were probably some of the best battles Pokémon has ever had. They had strategy, they were often intense and they were really fun to watch. I also loved the contest appeals contest battles which I also felt were very well done. The animation was well done for the most part (although, I have to say that it's not necessarily my favorite animation because I do love where Best Wishes is going with its animation). The music is well done adding nice new tracks and keeping some old fan favorites. Dawn herself is a great character I feel and I know people hate her but I will try and defend her. People try and say that Dawn had absolutely no change as a character from start to finish and while I could see their point, I don't think it should be a strike against her. Dawn is still a ten year old girl and expecting her to have this major development in which she becomes a woman and a completely different person is sort of silly especially at Dawn's age. Dawn did have a great contest arcs and she had many human emotions throughout the show that made you able to relate to her. Dawn was a success in my opinion. I thought she had a fun personality and her girly side was also very appealing to watch. Paul was also a great rival and I know he too is hated. The reason I like Paul is because I felt he was a great antagonistic force in this series. He was the exact opposite of Ash in many ways and some of his methods were rather dark for Pokémon at times. I also thought the Chimchar story arc was done well. Ash and Paul gave us engaging battles and the conclusion to their rivalry was well done. I know people say Paul changed out of no where but I still feel Paul learning that Ash beat Brandon while Paul couldn't beat Brandon with his methods and then Paul losing to Ash in the Sinnoh League helped Paul to reconsider his methods. Hunter J and Team Galactic while horribly underused and underdeveloped were still very entertaining and most of their appearances were enjoyable. Ash was at his best as a trainer here and all of his Poemon had unique personalities and were well developed. Brock got some nice focus as well.

What were the low points? The handling of some of the rivals. While I like Paul and Zoey, I still feel like a lot of other rivals got screwed over. Let's start with Conway. Conway is an entertaining character but I think he would have worked better as Dawn's rival. I think it would have been such a great move to put him as a coordinator especially with his crush on Dawn and the fact that prior to the League, he was more connected to Dawn than he was with Ash. Conway was fodder at the League and only appeared in the Summer School Arc and the Tag Team Arc prior to the League. Would have liked to see him more and have him have more interactions with Ash. Barry was introduced around 100 episodes into the show and I just didn't think he was a great rival. Most of the time he came across as a Paul fanboy and at some points, he was a jerk. He also got screwed over in the League and I guess I don't think he is as humorous as other people do. Ursula was great as a mean girl rival and I wish she got more wins but otherwise she was a good rival for Dawn. Nando was interesting but disappeared for a long time. Tobias worked well as a mysterious League rival. Kenny worked well as Dawn's childhood rival but he was screwed over in the Grand Festival. I guess I should mention Jessie. She was just so nasty to poor Dawn most of the time. TRio were at their absolute worst here and like I mentioned before, the other villains were underused.

truth be told i didnt care much for this season but i will admit it had some decent battles although they shouldve done that last league battle a little better so that it wasnt so controversial.
    by the way here is an interesting little fact i found on bulbapedia when i was snooping around there, in the episode fighting fear with fear dawn supposedly said: how ash should be more like gary when it comes to his pokemon.
    I couldnt agree more with her.
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    for those of you who are interested here is my link to my youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/pokedigijedi

Trade shop: pokedigijedi's bounty board
    3DS FRIEND CODE: 4382-2152-1254 friend safari type: poison pokemon ariados, kakuna, and muk. please don't take too long too add me it drives me crazy and I will delete your friend code

This saga is my favorite. IMO it's the best saga after Orange islands. It has well-written battles, well-written contests and character devolopment. Also the animation was nicely done and the music was great too. Dawn was a nice addition to DP saga, she and Piplup had a bond like Ash and Pikachu. Paul was a refreshing new rival for Ash, and they had an awsome rivalry throughout the saga. The only annoying rival was kenny, who's eager to get Dawn's attention.
    Pokémon XY

Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

Quote Originally Posted by DaDonYordel View Post
    Are we not just silly people writing silly complaints on this message board?

*sigh* Sadly, I'm a hater who's gonna hate here, because this saga is really the only one I can't stand to watch most of the time. I practically avoid it like the plague to avoid the bad memories I have watching it.

That being said, I do feel Sinnoh tops all other sagas in three ways: 1) in terms of battle quality, 2) the gym battles, and 3) the strategies employed in Dawn's contests and Ash's gym battles.

Eh, besides that...man, I hate this saga with a passion to tell you the truth. It's not bad: in fact, it can be argued it IS the best saga in a lot of ways, but I just don't like the way it was written or dubbed. It doesn't sit well with me at times. Even BW feels more "Pokemon-like" than this saga does to me.

Let's start with one of my biggest issues: the voice acting.

Can't lie, Ash and Brock's dub voices drove me beyond nuts in this saga...I can't even listen to them for more than 5 minutes without cringing at something or another they are saying. It's that awful for me.

Brock's voice in particular is just...not right at all...it just sounds way off to me no matter how I look at it here most of the time.

Despite that, that is the LEAST of my problems with Brock here. He was shafted continuously in favor of Ash and Dawn, his Pokemon team only changed in terms of evolution and nothing more for 3 years (2007-2010), and all he did was cook, say advice, and flirt with women 95% of the eps he was in. It was...utterly heartbreaking to see the once enjoyable, funny, and awesome character Brock was practically fading away before my eyes.

However, I did like Ash's VA in the League Episodes, though, and Brock's VA did a good job in his last two episodes but besides that...out of all the recast English voices, these two by far frustrated me the most. Maybe it's because they sounded so different, but it was very tough to get used to.

Piplup's voice was annoying as well, if listened to in large bursts.

Team Rocket's alliterations did not help ease that pain, but for what it's worth, I did like their Pokemon releasing episodes. Their actors did a good job with those, too.

I'll give it a 7/10 overall to be fair in re-evaluating it, but it's my least favorite part of the anime and I do not have any desire to go back to this saga.

The major thing I feel detracts from my view of Sinnoh are that for me it feels like it IS the low point for Brock and Team Rocket out of all sagas they were in, IMO.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 29th July 2013 at 2:47 AM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Outside of how boring Brock and Team Rocket were, and the lack of humor, this saga was well done for the most part.

I only wish they followed through with the promise of a Champion league. It made the saga end on a whimper.

Probably my favorite series overall, though I include the Battle frontier as one of my favorites also. This series had interesting storylines, great battles, and awesome characters that actually got some great development in this arc. Dawn and Paul are my favorite characters and they probably had the best development out of all the characters in this arc imo. This series felt more like it was Dawn's story with Ash being a side character to Dawn to me, and it was really refreshing to have something like that imo.
    If I had to rate it, I'd give DP a perfect 10/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

You know fellas, I like the Sinnoh Saga,and it league better than any other sagas. Zoey happened to be one of my favorite characters of all time now. Dawn turned out to be an amazing character. Sweeter than most of the other female companions. The best part of the Sinnoh League is that Ash crushed his cold-hearted rival, Paul.
    I am here to help others to solve their problem,and I'm also the big fan of Kissshipping.

FC: 3737-9549-2888
    IGN: Shego

Haven't re-watched the Sinnoh saga in years, I started watching the sinnoh League episodes on Hulu plus and I was once again reminded why I hated the saga to this day:

Ash - He really annoyed me this generation! Other than the voice changes, his constant need to be one step ahead of Paul to prove that he's the better battler irked me. If he even sees him, Ash runs to him like some over-hyped child and runs his mouth like Paul wants to conversate with him. If Paul says or does something he doesn't like, Ash cops an an attitude like a little boy. And when their battle was finally over at the league, he runs to find him like he has a schoolboy crush on him or something. It was sickening!

Paul - He's really the only person I didn't have a problem with at all. I didn't mind his no-nonsense attitude and his desire to be on his own and be the best he can be. It was clear in some episodes that he didn't wanna be bothered but Ash being Ash always had to be in his face about everything grated my nerves. While I'm not condoning the way he treated Pokemon early on, hey at least he didn't beat them whenever they did a move wrong or didn't perform well like Joe Jackson did his kids LOL!

Dawn and Piplup - Although I actually didn't mind seeing them again in B/W, I was reminded how annoying both of them were in D/P. Her raspy voice aside, her annoying cheering scenes with Piplup were nauseating, and her Pokemon Contests really bored me. I preferred May's contests by a mile. And during the league, I mean did she really have to use her Pokedex for every Pokemon that came out?! Dawn definitely had that girly girl deal about herself but compared to Serena now, even Dawn is starting to look good.

Brock - I agree with the others. Brock just was useless this time around and that Croagunk bit was really old and annoying.

Team Rocket - They were just the icing on the cake. They were so bad this time around, they were one of the reasons I actually stopped watching Pokemon during that time. The voice changes i still didn't get used to and the jibberish that were always coming out their mouths irked my nerves! Most of the time it was just random words. Their dialogue along with the rest of the show was horrible! The first half of B/W they meant business and coupled with the fact that we didn't have to see them every episode is what made me invest in them again but then they reverted back to their Sinnoh selves and i reverted back to hating them again!

Yeah, the battles were good and Ash had a decent Pokemon roster then, but that's it! Everything else about the series just turned me off for a good while. B/W (the saga alot of people seem to hate) is what actually brought me back to the anime when Sinnoh (the saga that alot of people actually loved) turned me off it!

"My Popularity in the Pokemon Universe continues to shine like the Aura that is with me. A full-feature movie, 4 two-parter episodes from the Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos anime sagas, a 5-episode arc featuring my trainer Korrina, 3 appearances in the Smash Bros games and a Poke spokespearson for the Pokemon Trading Card commercials and the upcoming Pokken Fighters game. May I soon reach the fame that belongs to Pikachu"

3DS Friend code - 3007 9374 1244

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12