Thread: Probaby (an advanceshipping one-shot)

Default Probaby (an advanceshipping one-shot)

I haven't written anything advanceshippy on serebiiforums in a while, so I decided to post this up.

It's an AU that still has Pokemon in it and is near as their original characters as I could get it to be.

If you bother reading this, do me a favor and leave a review? ^^

RATING: G

Probably

Probably.

No one would ever notice how weird that word was until they actually thought about it. Heck, May hadn’t realized how weird the word was until she’d first thought about it one random Sunday as she folded laundry.

But then, a lot of things were weird once you thought about it.

Her life, for instance, was very weird. She knew that, from the beginning, she knew that her life was weird. Although she was the eldest of two children, she’d always been the one in the back seat. Not that she cared or anything, no. She never thought of herself as a front seat person anyway, and she probably never would.

(Probably- there goes that word again.)

And if she was going to be in the backseat anyway, she figured that someone had to be in the front seat- someone who deserved to be in it. And her brother, Max, had totally deserved to be in the front seat, he deserved more than that even. And May wished she could give him what he deserved, but when she thought about it, like really thought about it, what else could she give him other than her life?

Don’t take it the wrong way, she hadn’t sold her soul to him or anything, but instead, she had played the helpful sister behind him, she’d played the happy-go-lucky sister whose life always revolved around him. She’d played the sister who was always smiling for him, who had never shown any hints of jealousy in public, so who could? Really, who could ask for a better sister? She didn’t mean to brag, but if she hadn’t been so nice for him, he probably wouldn’t have been happy with a Pokemon Master certificate at age fifteen.

Probably.

Max Maple- Pokemon Master at age fifteen. Yeah, like the Maple family needed anything else to boast about, as if Norman hadn’t already been the Gym Leader of Petalburg twice and Carolyn hadn’t already started her own art class at the local college- let’s add the fact that their son had defeated the Elite four when he was a preteen. One more thing to be grateful for… As if people weren’t already treating May different from the rest of the people around town- now they had to constantly remind her of her brother’s achievement.

As if she didn’t know.

And it wasn’t even that that had made May think back to her life as weird, and sometimes pathetic- it was that she had let them keep reminding her of how much greater her brother was than her. She let them repeat their favorite stories of Max to her as if she hadn’t already known how great he was. She remembered being with her friend once when a neighbor told her of how great it was to have Max with her. It wasn't until a little bit after, her friend had asked why she was always taking news of her brother with a happy face, and May replied saying that it was because she was happy. And it wasn’t a lie, she was happy for her brother, very happy. And if he hadn’t become such a great pokemon trainer, she probably wouldn’t be able to be constantly happy for him.

Probably.

But she knew that there was something that she never told anyone. Around the time that Max had started to go to high school (while Max was building on pokemon trainer career) she was always scared that she would meet him at lunch or something and the teachers would jump at the chance to compare the two again. It was annoying, it was annoying to be compared to younger sibling and even more annoying when no one ever seemed to notice her own achievements because they paled in comparison to Max's.

So May did the only thing she knew how to do, hid from Max, Max her younger brother Max.

And she was the older one.

May knew of only one place she could hide in: the drama room- she didn’t know why she was hiding from him: her own little brother!- but she was. And then one day, as she sat behind some of the supplies, she saw them. Some of the drama students -she’d always seen advertising the school plays - acting out lines of their current play. May had never seen anything so beautiful. It was like how watching two different people transforming in to someone else right before her eyes. May watched them as they poured out their hearts, acting as if they were in love when really it was their characters that were. She watched, amazed at how they could so perfectly pretend that they were someone else when they weren’t.

And then that’s when she noticed... she was acting too! Well, wasn’t she? She always acted as if the news of Max had surprised her or amazed her every time she heard it, she always acted as if she would probably be the first person to cry if anything bad had come to his pokemon-related future, she was always acting… wasn’t she? It was so obvious, so obvious, and then, something else had bloomed inside of her. She wasn’t only acting about Max, she’d been acting since the day that Norman had been put as Gym Leader, pretending to be happy when really, she wanted to have her dad play with her like he always had. She wanted equal attention from her parents, the same attention they and the world had been giving Max since the day he was born. She’d been acting, she’d been acting… So why not? She thought, watching the drama students, why not continue to act like she already was with her life?

And that’s when May had plunged herself in to the theatre.

It was easy to be someone else, she didn’t know how easy until she auditioned for her first play. It was simple, the girl she had to be was lost and May knew how to act like that. So when it was her turn, May felt herself transform in to this lost girl. And when she had finished, everyone had stood up, till this day she remembered how the theater- about ten or so people- had stood up and clapped after her audition was over, and it hadn’t even been pity claps! May wanted that, May wanted everyone to give her attention, the attention she starved for at home, she wanted it so bad, so she continued to act, continued to be people she wasn’t. She would be the person so well that by the end of the play, she thought that she was actually them, and then was reminded that she’d in reality, forgotten herself long ago.

It was weird, because when she thought back to that she realized that if Max hadn’t been able to become a Pokemon Master at such a young age, she probably wouldn't have ever gone in to the drama room and fell in love with theatre.

And then, when she pondered all of the weird things in her life, she realized that meeting him had been awfully weird as well.

Weird… story of her life.

She thought about him, constantly. And when she had, she found herself thinking about their personalities, and how they’d met. She remembered that when she’d first seen him, she thought that he looked so ordinary, now she looked at him, knowing that he was the most handsome guy in the world. She remembered thinking of him as a guy who simply didn’t like school- in other words, dumb(seeing as how he opted to not go to school and stay on the Pokemon path), now he was the most intelligent person in her life. She knew before that she could have lived without seeing him ever again, now she couldn’t breathe whenever he left town for some Pokemon Master thing. Sometimes, whenever she was around him, she admitted to feeling ’corny’. He always asked what she meant by it, but she never said, keeping it as her own inside joke. She loved him, she knew that too. She was so sure about her feelings for him that it wasn’t even something she could joke about. She loved everything about him, every square inch of his body, every word that came out of his mouth- even when he was in a bad mood, she loved him. It was only fair, after all, he gave up a lot of things to be with her. He used to smoke, even though she once pointed out how “uncharacteristic” that was of him, he shrugged, saying that smoking was something you could have one puff of and then later be obsessed with it- but when he began to date her, he stopped- not cold turkey but gradually. He gave up his Saturdays at first to go shopping with her even though he hated it when women went shopping. He told her it was a waste of time, she thought that watching Pokemon battles on TV was a waste of time but she watched it with him anyways, he never complained about shopping again. Then he began to meet her regularly for lunch- even when he was working at his Gym. He loved her, she knew, he loved her almost as much as she loved him. When she thought about him, she thought about a lot of things. But mostly, she thought about how they met…

They’d met at a friend’s wedding. Actually, he had claimed that they met before, but she couldn’t remember. The wedding was beautiful- she said. The wedding was cliché- he said. She stayed indoors and socialized with the bride and the guests, he stayed outdoors and smoked with the other guys- not willing to go in even though the groom had been his best friend. She helped whenever she could, he stayed outdoors and refused to go inside at all. She remembered seeing him once with his Pikachu when she looked outside to see if the weather was going to stay nice when she left, and she remembered what she thought of him- a bum. But then, why would a bum be near a place where a wedding was being held? And she remembered seeing him again as she ran outside when she saw her crush making out with one of her best friends. And then that’s when she realized that things had gotten weird.

That’s when the list of probably’s had gone through her head.

If May had suddenly decided the morning of the wedding not to go, she probably wouldn’t have seen her crush with another girl. If she hadn’t seen that, she probably wouldn’t have stormed out and bumped in to him. If he hadn’t been outside in the first place, she probably wouldn’t have bumped in to him. If he hadn’t seen her crying and asked what was wrong, she probably wouldn’t have pushed him away. If he hadn’t pestered her until she thought she was going to scream, she probably wouldn’t have ripped him to shreds. If he hadn’t yelled at her for yelling at him, they probably wouldn’t have spent the next hour yelling at each other. If they hadn’t argued with each other, she probably wouldn’t have broken down and cried to him about everything wrong with her life, about how wrong she felt, about how she felt that she was in another play playing in someone else’s life. She probably wouldn’t have noticed how much attention he was giving her. He probably wouldn’t have told her his share of bad luck until they were both laughing. She probably wouldn’t have introduced herself sheepishly and commented on how cute his Pikachu was and he probably wouldn’t have told her that he’d already knew her- he had watched her in her plays. He probably wouldn’t have told her how he thought she was the best actress on stage because she made it seem so believable. She probably wouldn’t have suggested ditching the wedding and going out for ice cream. He probably wouldn’t have asked her about herself- the more positive things. She probably wouldn’t have asked for his number and he probably wouldn’t have asked her to dinner.

And then, when she thought about that, she realized something else…

If Max had never been a Pokemon genius, she probably would have never met her friend therefore never gone to the wedding and met him.

She really did have to be grateful for that.

Probably…

May paused, staring down at the light blue shirt she was going to fold next. She reached over for it when she heard someone step in to her house. Her heart jumped and she walked to greet whoever had come in. As she walked, her fingers swept over the roses he’d given her recently for Valentines’ day. Her eyes paused at his birthday present for her- an outfit she wanted to buy for so long but was out of her price range. And when she saw his raven hair- glistening from sweat- she couldn’t help herself. She ran over to him, throwing her arms around him. He caught her just in time, pulling her in to a tight embrace, pulling her in to his man smell. “I‘m back,” he said, talking in to her brown hair.

She smiled. “Welcome back.” She wanted to stay in his arms forever, she wanted to be with him like that, she wanted time to stop, but then she felt something hit her tummy, and she pulled back. “You go to the gym again?” She asked, attempting to hide the pain of her stomach.

“Yeah.” Almost as if to prove it, he took the sweat dripping off his forehead and wiped it over her cheek.

“Ew!” She yelped, instantly pulling away. “Don‘t do that!”

He laughed, “have you been keeping busy?”

She nodded and then noticed the empty space on his shoulder. "Where's Pikachu?" She questioned.

"With my mom." He paused. “You look like you‘ve been thinking all day again, have you?”

She attempted not to laugh, no really, she had. But in the end, she couldn’t help it. “Probably.”

“Hmm,” he said as he took hold of the silver ring enveloping his ring finger, and played with it- knowing it would get on her nerves.

“Hey!” She cried, “don‘t do that! You‘ll lose it!”

He chuckled. “I won‘t, I won‘t,” he grinned, reaching for her abdomen, patting it lightly. “As long as you don‘t lose him.”

She laughed, holding on to her abdomen. “I won‘t, I won‘t.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.” She couldn’t help but crack a smile then, and forever she would remember his priceless reaction. “Probably.”

The End
    Last edited by Uzamaki Hinata; 25th June 2008 at 8:53 AM.
    ~*Uza-chan's Good bye*~

IS SUPAH FIIIINE

Nice one-shot, it's really good actually. I liked how you didn't make it all 'I Love You' quick. It was nice and cute too. This is an awesome one-shot, worthy of reading. Great job!

Finally some Advanceshipping from you :p

Wow, what can I say? This was a really impressive one-shot and well worth the read, like Whitefire said. You really pulled me into the story slowly - at first I was curious about Max, and then about what May was complaining about, and then how she met Ash, and then... You get the picture ^^;; Though it was an alternate universe I never felt alienated from the story or the characters in any way - there was too much focus on them for that.

I didn't spot any errors while reading, either. It's amazing how compelled I was to keep reading even though it was pretty much nothing but thoughts and emotions on May's part - you portrayed them all beautifully with almost no dialogue at all (something I've always wanted to be able to do myself).

So all in all, a great one-shot and more proof that you more than deserved those shipping oscars you won. Here's hoping you'll write more soon! ^^
    Good Love Charm
    *COMPLETE*

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefire2000 View Post
    Nice one-shot, it's really good actually. I liked how you didn't make it all 'I Love You' quick. It was nice and cute too. This is an awesome one-shot, worthy of reading. Great job!
    Thank you for your review! ^^ I really liked writing this one-shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazmof View Post
    Finally some Advanceshipping from you
    Ah, I felt bad for not writing something for it in a long time.

Wow, what can I say? This was a really impressive one-shot and well worth the read, like Whitefire said. You really pulled me into the story slowly - at first I was curious about Max, and then about what May was complaining about, and then how she met Ash, and then... You get the picture ^^;; Though it was an alternate universe I never felt alienated from the story or the characters in any way - there was too much focus on them for that.
    Thank you!!!! That was the aim, so I'm happy it got through!

I didn't spot any errors while reading, either. It's amazing how compelled I was to keep reading even though it was pretty much nothing but thoughts and emotions on May's part - you portrayed them all beautifully with almost no dialogue at all (something I've always wanted to be able to do myself).
    Too much praise I don't think I deserve ^_^ but thanks =D

So all in all, a great one-shot and more proof that you more than deserved those shipping oscars you won. Here's hoping you'll write more soon! ^^
    xD You're way too nice to me Gazmof!!!! I don't think I deserved the shipping oscars. But thanks for your review!!!

Quote Originally Posted by allison2324 View Post
    Awesome fic Uzamaki
    Thanks ^^

Wow, I'm in a good mood now, thank you for your reviews you guys!!! *skips away happily*
    ~*Uza-chan's Good bye*~

IS SUPAH FIIIINE

Quote Originally Posted by allison2324 View Post
    Can you try making another shipping oneshot
    Um, no triple posting please ^^;;

And do you mean another advanceshipping or a different shipping? I can attempt at making a another one-shot, but it would take me a while. Umm, if you have questions about it, you could always post it on my profile or PM me, I think it would be considered spam if we carried the conversation here.
    ~*Uza-chan's Good bye*~

IS SUPAH FIIIINE

Wow, I really liked this a lot! It's hard for me to find May-centric shipping fics (that I like, too), so I'm glad that you wrote one. :x

I always wondered if May had felt like the odd one out in her family before she left on her journey. I mean, with her dad being a gym leader and all, and probably being the only person in her family who didn't care for pokemon, along with Max studying them all of the time...yeah. I really wish they would've gone more in depth about why and everything, so that's why I'm also always looking for fics like this. XD;

ANYWAYS! Man, Max becoming a Pokemon Master so young. That's pretty huge, and I can see why May felt the way she did. I loved all of the descriptions of May's thoughts and feelings, and how she got into acting.

The AU was pretty cool, too - I like how May had nothing to do with pokemon while Ash did. It made their relationship a lot more interesting.

The way Ash and May met was really cute. Thinking of him as a bum at first, but then falling in love with him. lol, they both tolerated things they didn't like (shopping and pokemon battles) for each other. XP

Oh, and I loved the ending. I wasn't expecting her to be pregnant at all, so that came as a surprise. It was subtle yet really sweet. =]

I didn't spot any errors or anything either - good job! It's been a while since I've read fics and enjoyed them, and this was a really nice read. Keep up the good work!!

OK! That does it! No more reading without reviewing. *comes out the closet.*
    Well it's really come to show that you enjoyed writing this. I loved reading it too. I loved the interactions and the wedding comments. The gentle flow pulled me in. The way you pulled May in was fantastic. I'm gonna quote a few things that I like.

Probably
    I liked how this word was used in between some of the paragraphs, showing signs of hopes and possibilities.

So May did the only thing she knew how to do, hid from Max, Max her younger brother Max.

And she was the older one.
    I giggled quite at this quote.

“Hey!” She cried, “don‘t do that! You‘ll lose it!”

He chuckled. “I won‘t, I won‘t,” he grinned, reaching for her abdomen, patting it lightly. “As long as you don‘t lose him.”

She laughed, holding on to her abdomen. “I won‘t, I won‘t.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.” She couldn’t help but crack a smile then, and forever she would remember his priceless reaction. “Probably.”
    Haha really cute, I also thought is was sexy as well. I was honestly thinking of naughty stuff when I read the part about the abdomen.

So overall, I really loved it. ^_^
    Last edited by ChloboShoka; 17th June 2008 at 8:04 PM.

☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

Quote Originally Posted by Chelc View Post
    Wow, I really liked this a lot! It's hard for me to find May-centric shipping fics (that I like, too), so I'm glad that you wrote one. :x
    Wow, Chelc reading one of my fanfics, thanks!

I always wondered if May had felt like the odd one out in her family before she left on her journey. I mean, with her dad being a gym leader and all, and probably being the only person in her family who didn't care for pokemon, along with Max studying them all of the time...yeah. I really wish they would've gone more in depth about why and everything, so that's why I'm also always looking for fics like this. XD;
    You know, I thought that maybe she would be left out like that. Since, well, all the reasons you listed. xDDD

ANYWAYS! Man, Max becoming a Pokemon Master so young. That's pretty huge, and I can see why May felt the way she did. I loved all of the descriptions of May's thoughts and feelings, and how she got
    into acting.
    =D Thank you, it's the first time I attempted writing something like this.

The AU was pretty cool, too - I like how May had nothing to do with pokemon while Ash did. It made their relationship a lot more interesting.
    You know, before, it had nothing to do with pokemon but then I thought, this is SPPF, might as well add some pokemon... xD

The way Ash and May met was really cute. Thinking of him as a bum at first, but then falling in love with him. lol, they both tolerated things they didn't like (shopping and pokemon battles) for each other. XP
    well, sometimes you have give up things for the ones you love...? oh, that was supposed to sound a lot better than it did, never mind xD

Oh, and I loved the ending. I wasn't expecting her to be pregnant at all, so that came as a surprise. It was subtle yet really sweet. =]
    The pregnant thing was added through editing. xD

I didn't spot any errors or anything either - good job! It's been a while since I've read fics and enjoyed them, and this was a really nice read. Keep up the good work!!
    Thank you =D And thank you for stopping by my fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Gholy View Post
    OK! That does it! No more reading without reviewing. *comes out the closet.*
    Hoq could you read without reviewing?! JK xDDDD Thanks for taking the time to read and review

Well it's really come to show that you enjoyed writing this. I loved reading it too. I loved the interactions and the wedding comments. The gentle flow pulled me in. The way you pulled May in was fantastic. I'm gonna quote a few things that I like.
    I did, I really did. =D Thanks for noticing. aww, thanks!

I liked how this word was used in between some of the paragraphs, showing signs of hopes and possibilities.
    ^_^

I giggled quite at this quote.
    I'm happy it got through

Haha really cute, I also thought is was sexy as well. I was honestly thinking of naughty stuff when I read the part about the abdomen.

So overall, I really loved it. ^_^
    Naughty girl xDDD jk

Thanks for reading!

wow, okay, I was already pretty happy, but this made me really happy! xD I don't think I've ever gotten this many reviews for a one-shot
    Last edited by Uzamaki Hinata; 25th June 2008 at 6:15 AM.
    ~*Uza-chan's Good bye*~

IS SUPAH FIIIINE

I really loved it!
    First of all, it's hard to find rated G shipping fics. (Being a 10 year old stinks if you like romance)
    Next, there's May....
    Maymaymamymaymaymaymay!!!!
    ...May.
    And lastly, everything's just so cute being in the FUTURE like that!
    So that GUY was Ash, right...?
    Marco says: Awesome sig under construction <3 Please do stand by~ (Yeah, for like how many weeks?)

Oooh, yay~! Another review =D

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel_Nut View Post
    I really loved it!
    First of all, it's hard to find rated G shipping fics. (Being a 10 year old stinks if you like romance)
    Next, there's May....
    Maymaymamymaymaymaymay!!!!
    ...May.
    And lastly, everything's just so cute being in the FUTURE like that!
    So that GUY was Ash, right...?
    aww, thank you! ^____^ When it comes to fanfics, I admit, most are not G, but this one doesn't really have high-rating stuff and... well, you get it xD;

Yes, the guy was Ash ^^; It was an advanceshipping fic, so it was him! lol

Thanks for your review~!
    ~*Uza-chan's Good bye*~

IS SUPAH FIIIINE

I really like this, I love it when fics get introspective with the characters. Getting into May's mind was interesting, and entertaining. I love the way you brought May and Max's relationship into focus. For someone that's an important part of May's life he's normally forgotten about, and seeing how it affected the family dynamic was really great. I've always thought of May being sort of the odd duck out in her family, with her not sharing the same interests in Pokemon ( even her mom liked them a lot more than she did in the beginning I think), so this like what would have happened if she never left on her journey. If she had stayed at home continuing down the same path she had been. It would have got to her after a while wouldn't it? And I think she'd make a good drama student too.

I like the way you portrayed Ash and May's relationship too, because everything wasn't all lovey-dovey-kissy-kissy-perfect-mush-where-nothing-could-ever-go-wrong. May 's first impression was instead... he was a bum, and later thinking he was ordinary and dumb. I love stuff like that because it doesn't make it so predictable, and it makes the relationship seem more fulfilling in some ways when it does happen. Talking about the compromising they did to get along with each other is great too.

Though I gotta say... Ash smoking was a curve ball. May's right, it doesn't fit him at all. ^ ^

I like the way they got together also, everything just clicked between them the right way in that paragraph. Good stuff.

The ending is a nice touch. I wasn't expecting their relationship to have gone that far even when I was reading it, so it finished everything off nicely.

My only question is that if Max is a Pokemon Master, then what happened with Ash? Is he supposed to be a way better trainer than him here? That's weird thinking about Max pwning him
    Finally free til the 17th
    Now if my computer will cooperate...

My fics

Wow, Yoshi-kun, you're alive! And reading my fanfic!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-kun View Post
    I really like this, I love it when fics get introspective with the characters. Getting into May's mind was interesting, and entertaining. I love the way you brought May and Max's relationship into focus. For someone that's an important part of May's life he's normally forgotten about, and seeing how it affected the family dynamic was really great. I've always thought of May being sort of the odd duck out in her family, with her not sharing the same interests in Pokemon ( even her mom liked them a lot more than she did in the beginning I think), so this like what would have happened if she never left on her journey. If she had stayed at home continuing down the same path she had been. It would have got to her after a while wouldn't it? And I think she'd make a good drama student too.
    Thanks ^___^

Honestly when I wrote this fanfic, I didn't want it to come out like every other fanfic I've read, or wrote for that matter. The typical Ash/May wondering if the other loves them and other whatnot hints until the end. So, I'm happy you liked it. =)

I like the way you portrayed Ash and May's relationship too, because everything wasn't all lovey-dovey-kissy-kissy-perfect-mush-where-nothing-could-ever-go-wrong. May 's first impression was instead... he was a bum, and later thinking he was ordinary and dumb. I love stuff like that because it doesn't make it so predictable, and it makes the relationship seem more fulfilling in some ways when it does happen. Talking about the compromising they did to get along with each other is great too.
    hee hee, thank you again ^^ Like I said, I didn't want this to be like every other fanfic and so not follow the same patterns other fanfics fall in to. =)

Though I gotta say... Ash smoking was a curve ball. May's right, it doesn't fit him at all. ^ ^
    lol! I can't even remember why I added that, but it seemed so OOC that May just had to say something about it.

I like the way they got together also, everything just clicked between them the right way in that paragraph. Good stuff.
    Yay, thanks again!

The ending is a nice touch. I wasn't expecting their relationship to have gone that far even when I was reading it, so it finished everything off nicely.
    lol, neither did I, until I wrote it. xD but I like that it came out so well ^__^

My only question is that if Max is a Pokemon Master, then what happened with Ash? Is he supposed to be a way better trainer than him here? That's weird thinking about Max pwning him
    umm, he's also a Pokemon Master? I haven't given much thought to it to be honest. ^^;;;

But anyway, thanks for the review Yoshi-kun! And the reassurance that you're alive :P So the summer of studying didn't eat you up, good to know!

I didn't except any more reviews than I already had, but I won't complain
    ~*Uza-chan's Good bye*~

IS SUPAH FIIIINE

A great Advanceshipping oneshot, as it is usual from Uza-chan.
    It is good to see something like that, a fic that makes you think of the action <-> reaction of a certain event.
    May begins to ponder on her life's turning point: her brother's Pokémon Mastery and the story ends with the knowledge that she is pregnant.

*looks at review* Did I write this?
    looks like I might have some competition

Anyway, I look forward to more like this from you.
    If you're an iCarly fan, check out RobSp1derp1g's iCarly Reviews.
    You won't regret it! (actual regret may be experienced.)