Thread: Personal Game Reviews Thread

Default Personal Game Reviews Thread

Just post your personal reviews of games you've recently completed here. Short and simple. Doesn't have to be super long or detailed, but don't make it too short either (3 sentences minimum). I personally feel review scores are now dumb, but for the sake of keeping it all the same, let's say the review scale should be X/5. (No decimals, just a full 1-5)

-----

CounterSpy (PS4)
    Downloaded and finished this game yesterday. Gameplay is a mix of 2D and 3D; 2D when moving and platforming, and 3D when covering to partake in gunfight. There's a nice amount of content, such as lots of collectibles which unlocks different guns and abilities to help you on your missions. I was bored about halfway through because of how repetitive it. Thankfully, the game was short (took me ~4-6 hours). If you have a PS4 and PS+, try it out because it's fun short game. If not, but you want to play it, I say wait for a sale.

3/5

-----

The Order 1886
    One of the most controversial games so far into this year. How do I start? Oh, the game is good. I thought the pacing was great, but chapters should have been combined. The game would have still been the same length, but instead of giving Chapter X its own chapter, why not just combine it with Chapter Y? The gunplay is satisfying, but I wish you had access to the cooler guns in more places. The graphics and soundtrack and atmosphere? Ohh, baby! These three are probably the best that the game offers. There's an abandoned hospital that you visit, and hnnng Put on headphones, and DANG! There's very few auto-game over stealth areas, but they don't last very long, so it's not too bad. I gotta say, if there's one thing that REAAAALY disappointed me, it was the story. Not gonna spoil anything, but I'll just say that there's one character who OUT OF FREAKING NOWHERE decides to switch sides for absolutely no gotdang reason, and there's no resolve to this at all. It happens one moment, then it doesn't get brought up ever again. Overall, I was fine with the game, but get a better freaking writer.

3/5

-----

Rules:
    •Only review a game you've actually played and finished
    -No, you can't review a game based on a YouTube walkthrough you've watched
    -If you haven't finished the game, but feel you can review it, instead of writing a review score, just write "Unfinished"
    •Respect each other's reviews.
    -these are personal reviews, aka opinions, but if you want to disagree, make it short so every post is still mostly a review
    •Standard SPPF rules apply
    Last edited by Void Ventus; 6th March 2015 at 7:18 AM.

You are Slave.
    Want emancipation?

This sounds like a fun idea

Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3)
    The game has a slow start due to your movement being restricted and being constantly strapped for cash due to being in debt and for 80% (when the debt becomes largely inconsequential) you have to pay off certain incriments of the debt so you can can continue with the story, I think this is simultaneously a good and bad way to pad out game time because while it forces you to grind, you'll also never be underlevelled. Once you get to around chapter 8 the story starts to pick up and you'll have unlocked nearly all of the world map. The battle system system remains largely unchanged from its predecessor as your artes are still resticted by the TP meter and your AC but battles are over so quick, I never found this an issue.
    7/10 The game is bogged down by a slow start but becomes really fun once you get past it.

Hibiki wants hugs
        Spoiler:- My claims:

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (PS4)
    After 3 1/2 years, the West finally gets Final Fantasy Type-0, now in HD, and instead of on the PSP or Vita, it's on the PS4 and Xbone! Hooray! Too bad despite a few improvements, the PSP limitations are still intact. Class Zero themselves have been very nicely redone to fit today's standards, but EVERYONE ELSE is ugly. Looks like they just took the PSP models and blew them up and said "Ehh good enough". Really distracting, considering on one side are the beautiful Class Zero, and next to them are blurry NPCs. Enough about graphics, how about the gameplay? It's great! All 14 characters play differently to each other, so you have a lot of options to choose from. It may seem overwhelming at first because you have access to all 14 characters as soon as you have free control to roam Akademia (about an hour or two in), but there's a training ground to try them out whenever you want. The RTS missions are just horrible. They're not bad, but they're not fun either. Also, why can I only have 1 mission at a time? That was a PSP limitation, and Hexadrive couldn't fix that for HD versions? The music? Other than the horrible voice direction, the soundtrack is fantastic. Zero by Bump of Chicken is especially awesome and tear-jerking. Story? I don't know. I kinda just went wherever. The game definitely wasn't worth $60. It's a really fantastic game, and I will do another run sometime this week, but when you've got other HD remasters that have 2 or more games that were only asking for $40 (ie Kingdom Hearts I/I.5, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Sly HD Collection, Ratchet HD Collection, God of War HD Collection, etc), $60 is asking for too much. If you see it for $40 or under though, definitely grab it. I personally enjoyed it a lot and feel happy that I finally got to play it.

4/5

You are Slave.
    Want emancipation?