Thread: Game Remakes (Not a remake speculation/wishlist thread)

Default Game Remakes (Not a remake speculation/wishlist thread)

I've been wanting to make this thread for a while, but I am always charmed by a reenactment of a beloved game. Other than the Pokemon remakes, here are some that I like:

Metroid Zero Mission: Though it doesn't feel as substantial as Fusion, remaking the classic Metroid with more atmosphere, bosses, and even another storyline made this a great GBA remake.

MGS3D: I'm not saying that this is better than an HD Metal Gear Solid 3, but the timing was impeccable for me. After my PS2 died a mysterious death, I long wanted to play the game again. I was thrilled that they made it on a Nintendo system. IMO, they got rid of the feature I thought bogged the game down the most, the menu system. Now, it's simple touchscreen.

And of course, Kirby's Dreamland in Super Star (Ultra) is more satisfying with copy abilities.

Far from my whole list, but what are some you like or dislike? What do think about remakes?

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

I've been playing through Ys: Memories of Celceta on Nightmare difficulty going for that platinum trophy.

It's sort of a remake of both Ys IV: Mask of the Sun and Ys IV: Dawn of Ys, which both didn't make it to the west. Compare those to how Ys: Memories of Celceta look and it's a world of difference.

My favorite remake would have to be the Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver. Generation 2 is my favorite xD
    I'd love to see a Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness remake.

I like Fire Emblem:Shadow Dragon and Fire Emblem:New Mystery of the Emblem Heroes of Light and Shadow on the NDS.They're remakes of the first and third Fire Emblem games,Shadow Dragons and the Blade of Light,and Mystery of the Emblem.I'd prefer if someone translated the ROM and released the said translated ROM of New Mystery of the Emblem Heroes of Light and Shadow because it's Japanese exclusive like the original and Shadow Dragon's original.Oh well.At least I have a translated Mystery of the Emblem ROM.I hope they make Jugdral remakes next.I've only started on a non-translated Thrakia 776 and I'd love to see Genealogy of the Holy War in 3D/HD.Or of FE7.More so FE7 then FE4 and 5,but I'd be content.

"If you don't sharpen your blade,you lose your edge."
    I have claimed Inigo,Fire Emblem for the GBA,Open Your Heart from Sonic Aventure and Electabuzz!

I recently bought The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, and holy god damn hell this is everything a remake should be. It fixes many of my original problems with the game, loads of persistent bugs, and adds insane amounts of new content. I played the original for ages until I felt like I had seen absolutely everything there was to see and I feel like I'm playing a whole new game with this.

Would recommend

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    I've been playing through Ys: Memories of Celceta on Nightmare difficulty going for that platinum trophy.

It's sort of a remake of both Ys IV: Mask of the Sun and Ys IV: Dawn of Ys, which both didn't make it to the west. Compare those to how Ys: Memories of Celceta look and it's a world of difference.
    how are the Ys games anyway? i seen some gameplay of the older games where you had to run into enemies to attack them and it seemed really off-putting

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    how are the Ys games anyway? i seen some gameplay of the older games where you had to run into enemies to attack them and it seemed really off-putting
    Ys: Memories of Celceta for PS Vita is actually the first game I've played in the series, and I enjoyed it a lot. It felt like playing a forgotten classic JRPG but with modern day polish in both the gameplay and presentation. So at the very least I recommend checking that one out. Ys Seven for the PSP looks like it has very similar gameplay.

I took at look at some older Ys gameplay and I'd agree that running into the enemies to attack seems a little wonky. Celceta's combat feels great though.

(getting really close to that Platinum trophy. Beat Nightmare mode last night, now I just need to clock in 5 hours on every character and level grind skills)

Uhhh... Sorry to break it to you OP, but MGS3D isn't a remake. It's just a slightly enhanced port of the original game. Learn the difference between remakes and remasters.

Examples of remakes
    •FFIII/IV DS
    •Tales of Hearts R
    •FRLG/HGSS/ORAS
    •Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories
    •Dragon Quest IV/V/VI
    •Halo 1 Anniversary and Halo 2 Anniverary
    •Resident Evil (Gamecube version)
    •Metal Gear Solid Twin Snake

Examples of remasters
    •MGSHDC/Vita/3D
    •KHHDI/II.5R
    •LoZOoT/MM3D
    •Ico/Shadow of the Collosus HD
    •Zone of the Enders HD
    "What's The Last Guardian? Does he mean The Last of Us? Oh, Noctis! He's the last crystal guardian."

Quote Originally Posted by SazandoraIsAwesome View Post
    Uhhh... Sorry to break it to you OP, but MGS3D isn't a remake. It's just a slightly enhanced port of the original game. Learn the difference between remakes and remasters.
    Ich macht nicht.

Back to the general topic, I did like the add on missions at the end for Metroid Zero Mission and Pokemon FRLG. Some may think it's just tagged on, but it has its own fun.

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Heartgold and Soulsilver is my fav so far. I love the pokemon following behind you and interacting with them, so cute^^

to answer the thread, Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 and Tales of Hearts R are some of my favorites remakes

Quote Originally Posted by Auraninja View Post
    Ich macht nicht.

Back to the general topic, I did like the add on missions at the end for Metroid Zero Mission and Pokemon FRLG. Some may think it's just tagged on, but it has its own fun.
    I don't speak German. Please translate, o bilingual one!

Back to the general topic, Re:CoM was a good remake. Too bad they couldn't fix the boredom and monotony of having to repeat the same worlds over and over again.
    "What's The Last Guardian? Does he mean The Last of Us? Oh, Noctis! He's the last crystal guardian."

The GameCube remake of Resident Evil is probably the best I've played. The amazingly detailed pre-rendered backgrounds and general atmosphere were pitch-perfect. Every area was like walking through a gloomy oil painting. Usually I'm not a big fan of pre-rendered areas but they really made it work.

Eternal Darkness HD.

Oh wait, you said this wasn't a wishlist thread. **** it, I'm saying it anyway: Eternal Darkness HD.

Anyway, I remember feeling like Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land was really fun. At the time, anyway; somehow I think I'd just rather play the original at this point.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Grenade Boy View Post
    My favorite remake would have to be the Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver. Generation 2 is my favorite xD
    I'd love to see a Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness remake.
    Also mine

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    ys on mastersystem was one of my fav games on that console, it was really good at the time.
    FC: 2036 7954 8071
    IGN: Spinal
    Spinal's Legendary Event Shop

I'm thinking of picking up Grim Fandango Remastered when it comes out next month. I never got to play the original and from what I've heard it's a really really good game so I'm gonna try it.