Thread: Strange Glitches In Pokemon Silver

Default Strange Glitches In Pokemon Silver

I have both Pokemon Gold and Pokemon Silver. For at least the last three months, both have been dead. In each, the internal battery's life has ended. Neither game can retain saved data.

Based on what I have read on these forums prior to my joining, it appears as though just about everyone's Gold and Silver games have died. It does not seem to really matter how much or how little the games have been played. Nor does how well they were taken care of seem to make much of a difference. The end result is still the same. Dead.

I never really played Gold or Silver much. I just could never really get into them. To me, something just did not feel right. I think it was the graphics. Something about the graphics...

On my Gameboy Color, they just seemed kind of... Flat? They just looked a bit pale and washed out. Maybe even dull. I just did not care for them. I much preferred Red Version and Blue Version. Honestly, I still do.

Back about a week ago, I got an urge. An impulse. I cannot really say why. I just did. I had this sudden want to play Gold or Silver. I never really got very far into them. Not even to the first gym. Never.

Still, about a week ago, I really had this desire to play the game. Maybe even to finish it! Whatever that meant... Be it just getting the eight Johto badges and beating the Elite Four... Or maybe completing even more of the game...

There was just one little problem... Both games had dead internal batteries. Not wanting to deal with getting the battery replaced, I decided that I would just have to leave the game on until I finished it. Thanks to my Gameboy Player, this would not be an issue. You know, unless the power flickered or went out or anything...

For the first three days, I basically did nothing but play Pokemon Silver. I easily averaged over eight hours a day for those first three days. In part, this was because I feared the possibility of a power failure. It does not happen often where I live. Still, I worried about losing all of my game progress.

It was also because I was just loving the game. I was a bit hooked. The hours were long, but they did not feel that way. They absolutely flew by. However, that is not the point of this thread. The glitches that I have encountered... That is the point of it...

I never really thought that Gold or Silver were that glitched up. I knew that Red and Blue were. You know, with stuff like Missingno, Glitch City, the Mew Glitch, and others... But Gold and Silver? I thought they were pretty clean.

I have no idea what has caused them, but I have encountered three glitches. In a way, two of them can seem to be related. Who knows? Maybe all three are. Anyway, here is what I have witnessed during my week of playing Pokemon Silver...

-

The Lucky Number Thing

I had gotten to Goldenrod City. During my exploration of the city, I had gone to the Radio Tower. Inside, I talked to everyone that I could. I always do. Anyway, you know the guy behind that counter that does the Lucky Number thing? Well, I talked to him and he said that I had won something!

I was stunned. I mean, the guy said that a Wartortle in one of my boxes had a matching number or whatever. I did not have a Wartortle. I never did have one. Because of this, I was deeply puzzled. Thinking that I had misread, I spoke to him again. Due to my Item Pocket being full, he could not give me my prize. In other words, when I spoke to him again, he said the same exact thing. And, sure enough, I did not misread. He said Wartortle.

Though I was a tad bit confused, I continued playing. While I had fought an in-game trainer who had a Wartortle, never did I have one. It would be impossible for me to. I never linked up to another game.

Trainer House In Viridian City

Everything continued on normally. Nothing stood out to me as odd. Then, I got to the Trainer House in Viridian City. Always ready for another battle to help level-up my Pokemon, I was eager to go in.

I never did the Mystery Gift thing or fought any real-world trainers. Still, I thought that I could still battle in the Trainer House. However, when I went downstairs to face my challenger, things got weird. First off, the trainer's name was quite peculiar. If I recall correctly, it was "cq CII" or something very similar to that.

Though I sent out my Typhlosion, the other trainer never sent out a Pokemon. And if he did, it looked like the trainer. Anyway, after selecting my first attack, a dialog box appeared in the middle of the screen. It said, "Waiting..."

It stayed on the screen for a long time. Actually, it never went away. The battle music continued to play, but the screen never changed. I began to think that maybe my controller had become disconnected. It had not.

I could still access the Gameboy Player's settings. I even moved the controller to the second controller port to see if the game was expecting a second player. Still, the screen remained the same. In the end, I had to reset the game and go back to my last save point... Three house earlier... I have not returned to the Trainer House since.

Odd Pokemon In Boxes (Part 1)

The last glitch is the strangest of them all. It also appears to be the most threatening. It is more than an oddity or a case of the game getting hung... It is frightening. And I have no clue what I did to cause it to occur.

My goal had basically been to just go through the game as quickly as I could. I was not concerned with collecting Pokemon. I had my team, and I stuck with it. Badges and such were my main concern. Trying to catch all of the Pokemon would be tedious and maybe even frustrating. I just wanted to have fun running through the game... And I did.

I never filled an entire box. I had my team and that was basically it. However, I did have one goal when it came to collecting. For the heck of it, I was going to catch all of the Unown.

Because of that, my first box did fill almost completely up. There were maybe a couple of spots left in it. Not wanting to catch an Unown and find the box to be full, I went ahead and switched to the second box just before the first one filled up. To my surprise, there were two Pokemon in it!

I had not caught them. Yet, they were there. I went ahead and released them. I ended up looking at the third and forth box. In them, there were more Pokemon that I had not caught. It was very odd. On top of that, while I was switched to a box other than the first one, it showed the first one as being empty. Yet, when it was selected, it showed there being my Unowns and other Pokemon in it. Just like it should.

Odd Pokemon In Boxes (Part 2)

The fifth box... This is where it really got interesting. It was jammed full of Pokemon! As I scrolled down, the list seemed to be without end. There were more than twenty... Way, way more! And not only that, but the Pokemon were weird. The sprites looked normal, but the names were strange. As the list went on, odd characters and shapes and colors started to apppear. Sometimes by or on the Pokemon's sprite!

The list is consistent. Every time I have viewed it, the same sprites and names appear in the same order. While everything seems random, the things still appear in the same order every time. One of the most memorable things is a Slowpoke with Celebi's sprite and NTRET as its nickname.

After going so far down on the list, the response time starts to get off. There is almost a lag or something. The scrolling gets jerky. The only way to exit the fifth box is to press the B Button a few times. Once that is done, the game resets itself. The Gameboy logo appears. Then, the opening sequence and all of that stuff plays.

However, it is not normal. During the Gameboy logo part, there is a red square on the screen. It is like the one that you see when you are viewing Pokemon in a storage box. And starting with the little intro thing, everything is red and dark black. It goes from a vivid red to black. You know, with some shades in between.

You can play the game still. Only, everything looks really weird. The music is fine. Just the graphics are messed up with nothing but shades of red and a little black and white... My character is a solid black blob! Fortuantly, resetting the game causes it to revert back to normal.

Odd Pokemon In Boxes (Part 3)

The last thing involving this box glitch is the depositing of Pokemon. Everything is fine when I deposit into the first box. But, if I try to deposit into the second box... I lose the Pokemon! It vanishes without a trace! It is neither in the box nor in my team. It is seemly gone forever.

I have not tried depositing Pokemon into any other boxes. In fact, I have not even looked at boxes six through thirteen. I just looked at the first few and the last one. Of the ones that I saw, only number five is super weird. And the first box is completely normal...

-

So that is what I have encountered. My game seems normal, for the most part. Just these few things. Just an oddity, a disappointing quirk, and a relatively large problem...

I have not spoken to the guy in the Radio Tower again. Nor have I returned to the Trainer House. However, I have looked at the computer's storage box system a few times. And every time, it is the same. I do the same things, and the same results occur. It is very repeatable. It does not vary.

I do not know what could have caused these glitches. It is completely beyond me. All I did was start a new game and play it. Nothing out of the ordinary was done. It was all fair play. No cheating devices or anything were used. I do not even own any cheating devices. Nor have I ever owned any.

Maybe its because you never turned it off.
    SAPH

Maybe its because you never turned it off.
    SAPH

From what I've read, those are indeed the most "unstable" parts of Gold and Silver: the PC and the trainer from the Trainer House (Lucky Number problems are most likely a result of the PC troubles). I don't know much about what causes those actual glitches, just that it seems to happen on occasion, moreso than most other problems.

It's likely that they're related to save file problems (i.e. corruption); whether the save corruption is a result of the battery dying has yet to be proven or studied.

Well I can try to explain some:

1. The Trainer House.
    -You see, the trainer you battle at the Trainer House in Viridian City is the Pokemon Trainer of the last game you used Mystery Gift with. Probably, during the Silver version's life, it once had Mystery Gift used, while using a Game Boy Color with the infrared sensors(I think), and it was near a TV remote or something else related.

2. The PC Boxes
    -Er...I don't know.

3. The Radio Tower
    -That was probably because of your PC...
    HOW TO HEAR KYUREM'S CRY IN REAL LIFE:
    1. Blow your nose

Whoa, those are really weird glitches! My silver was dead when I bought it, so I never played it very much, but in Crystal the only glitch I ever encountered (because I exploited it, haha) was the Pokemon cloning trick using the PC boxes and shutting of the power in the middle of the save.

Maybe Crystal was more cleaned up than Silver and Gold. I'm tempted to just plug in my SP and play Silver or Gold, though.
    Currently playing: Platinum.

Strange. I never had any issues with Gold or Crystal, and I was a hardcore haxor back then. I was oblivious to any glitch in the games.
    The KKK took my bishie away...

Probably save file corruption due to the battery dying.
    Life itself is that which is eternal.

Probably save file corruption due to the battery dying.
    Life itself is that which is eternal.

I agree those are very weird! I had Silver and Crystal but I lost my Crystal as soon as I got it so I mainly played Silver and I never had any glitches like that. To this day I still play it and I still haven't come across them.

Those are some pretty strange but kinda cool glitches, I have never come across any glitches like that, the only one I have had I lost all the legendary dogs while cloning them. I was mighty angry.
    The Fire Still Burns-
    The Guardian Of Aura-
    Manchester City Football Club-

"If we start looking at what's the same instead of looking at what's different, well who knows"

Those are some pretty strange but kinda cool glitches, I have never come across any glitches like that, the only one I have had I lost all the legendary dogs while cloning them. I was mighty angry.
    The Fire Still Burns-
    The Guardian Of Aura-
    Manchester City Football Club-

"If we start looking at what's the same instead of looking at what's different, well who knows"

I reckon it's a lie. Just a way to pass the time, with a boring, dull story making up glitches. It is defo the most boring posting style I have ever seen anyone adopt.

Sounds like the save file is corrupted due to the battery dying (perhaps you didn't get the power to it in time to prevent any form of corruption. That would explain the weird pokemon and the trainer house glitch, as they are, in a way I can't really explain, linked if you know what I mean.

If you ever one day replace the battery, I doubt these problems will occur again (until the battery dies once again far into the future)

I don't recall any glitches with my silver... the internal bettery is stuffed now but i recall nothing.. maybe mine was a winner lol

i had the computer glitch too well sorta

when i played once i went to my pc open, switch, change was just looking through my pc just b/c i hadn't played in awhile well i open one box it said empty but had two pokemon a krabby and a ledian (i had never seen ledian so it said ???? as it's name) well i managed to get them both out (after it freezing up on me) the krabby said it had ho-oh's special fire type move (can't think of what it's called) and also had pkrus well after a while it froze up...i think this started b/c i had a surfing pidgey (it was given to me by a guy who had gameshark)

after all that i had no idea what happen so i restarted i was going to restart anyway but that whole thing was weird.

Claims charmander