Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Crasher Course in Power (551)

Buizel just won its first real battle.Buizel finally got off his losing streak.
    Manga's I'm up to date with.

Spoiler:- undefined:

Catching up to

Hunter x Hunter
    Battle Tendency
    Eyeshield 21

I get this feeling, Idk why, that Buizel is gonna evolve Not long from now. Not just from the fact that he's been battling a LOT as of late, but have you noticed they emphasized on his arrogant attitude? Kinda reminded me of Treecko. Idk, its prolly just me.

Finally a legit sweep of a gym, This is proof that you don't need evolution to be strong.
    Heart Gold FC 0690 2997 2142

In an effort to debunk some greatly exaggerated rumors about how I have been too serial lately, I lay my reputation on the line with a referee analysis of the Pastoria battle, because honestly, the design of Wake’s dot-eyed referee may be the biggest disappointment in all of disappointmenthood.

In the red corner:
    Name: “Smashin’ Ash” Ketchum
    Age: 10, because characters in this anime don’t age no matter what anybody says
    Weapon of Choice: Friendship
    Motto: “I fight for my friends.”

In the blue corner:
    Name: Joe “Crasher Wake” Schmoe
    Weapon of Choice: His glorious muscles
    Motto: “Hello, little man. I WILL DESTROY YOU!”

LET’S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!

Round 1: Pikachu vs. Gyarados
    - After a good zapping in its 7580293th appearance, Gyarados retaliates with some fire attack that I'm going to name "Dragon Fire Breath Thrower Rage Blast Beam".
    - Pikachu Volt Tackes splat into Gyarados' face like a swatter to a fly, except this time, the swatter wins.

Round 2: Turtwig vs. Quagsire
    - Quagsire dodges unidentifyable ball of energy.
    - Turtwig shows off its uber platform game skills by jumping from pad to pad.
    - Quagsire puts Turtwig on ice, kinda like the moonshine I just nabbed from my basement and poured in a glass.

Round 3: Buizel vs. Quagsire
    - Anyone ever pick up on how Quagsire resembles Bloo from Foster's? It probably sucks at paddleball, too.
    - Oh snap, that episode with Buizel's training and Zoey's broken angle wasn't completely useless!

Round 4: Buizel vs. Floatzel
    - Flaotzel inflates it's sack, kinda like...actually, I'm not going to use that comparison.
    - Buizel stares astonished at how large Floatzel's sack grew.
    - Floatzel laughs at Water Pulse and fires glowing fin crescent thingies. Razor Wind or whatever.
    - Flotzel begins glowing, kinda like nuclear waste. Radiation only makes it stronger!
    - Revealing its vapire teeth, Floatzel uses Frostbite! Also known as its less pun-inspired name, Ice Fang.
    - And...Buizel gets a case of Pink Eye. I'll spare you all the disgusting details.

Round 5: Pikachu vs. Floatzel
    - It's raining electricity! Still not worse than it raining men.
    - Stiff Motions + Ice Fang Stock Footage = Takeda's paycheck.

Round 6: Buizel vs. Floatzel - Take II
    - Ice doesn't cause water to freeze. No, it causes EXPLOSIONS.
    - Floatzel down and out. Kinda like a boozehound who got a little too hammered.

Closing comments:
    Ash: “I won…the Fen Badge! Hey, what the **** is a “fen”, anyways? Isn’t it one of those giant spinny things on a windmill?”
    Wake: “WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!”

Match verdict:
    Fair battle in spite of Ash not losing a single Pokemon, but in terms of overall excitement, it was probably the weakest since the Battle Pike thanks to some unimpressive exhanges of attacks and lack of unique strategies, as well as the weakest battle animation-wise since Petalburg (which happens to be Takeda's last gym battle). Things started getting better by the time Floatzel started battling, but it lacked the punch that Veilstone delivered.
    Last edited by S.Suikun; 20th June 2008 at 12:17 AM.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

Maybe this gym battle wasn't exciting as the others, but it still served its purpose and had some entertainment to it.

On another note, I never knew Bouysel and Floatsel could inflate their float things...

And it was interesting how Buneary was in a cheerleader outfit to cheer for Pikachu. XD

Also, it did kind of seem like Turtwig's Energy Ball grazed Quagsire a little. Not much, but a little.

And Team Rocket's relaxation in the Great Marsh. It's always fun when we have an episode where they aren't trying anything evil, AND aren't even anywhere near Ash and co. And they didn't get blasted off and were able to enjoy a nice peaceful time... I'm so happy T_T.
    Last edited by Konoko_Hasano; 20th June 2008 at 12:40 AM.
    Male or Female? You just never know, and that's one of the greatest things about these two~

I thought it was a great gym battle, just not as good as Veilstone.

You can really see what Takeda ain't good at: Background characters. Gligar, Ambipom, Chimchar all looked totally off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    But Buizel hasn't been dominant in Ash's team. This is Buizel's first big win.
    Agreed and after watching the episode i can say it was well worth it, Buizel did legitimently beat Floatsel by itself as pikachu never made contact with it, and did it in a realistic cool way as well, now let's just hope it takes a breather for a while and hopefully evolves up the road.

I knew though that the older pokemon Wake had wouldn't last too long, but Gyarados not withstanding(anything goes down to a head shot like that), quagsire should've lasted abit longer than it did, I mean come on, it gets barely grazed by Turtwig's energy ball and kicks it's butt around, takes two sonicbooms without flinching, but then one ice missle ko'es it? Quagsire my friend you got cheated.

All and all a good episode,Wake needs to calm down though, seriously everytime he speaks he screams, and while I do think Turtwig or Pikachu could've lost, it was alright in the end, though i do wonder about Wake's strength as a trainer compared to the previous three...

i liked this episode it was well done

Oh...so i wasn`t the only one who remembered Charizard at the beginning of the episode then...it was a decent gym battle,but less than a roller-coaster than the other ones(this one was pretty much a sweep)
    Turtwig really needs a Gym to shine and evolve into Grotle,period...
    Does anyone know which was the attack that Floatzel used with his arms?was it razor wind?i was able to recognize most of the attacks during the battle(if you want to watch it,search dodaitose on youtube...)
    Floatzel had a nice attitude of the stronger pokemon...i was surprised that ash/satoshi didn`t give `twig a second
    says good bye to not-winning streak!
    Can`t wait for DP 85(84 should be forgettable...)

PS:i really need sig and avi...

REAL EDIT:
    In the previous Gym,Machoke and Meditite were pwned by Staravia...Lucario was(of course...OU and OR) the strongest,as it shut down the only pokemon that Ash could easily defeat him with(Chimchar)
    and let`s not forget that
    1st Gym:Ash loses because of he only had Aipom,Turtwig and Pika the first time...and Cranidos/Rampardos are just beasts because they hit really hard
    2nd Gym:He won it at first try,it was a fair match
    Last edited by kpt25; 20th June 2008 at 1:54 AM.

Was it just me, or was the animation off a lot in this episode.

Anyway, it was nice to see the Turtwig Intervention again.

Yet in all technicality, Buizel never did have a losing streak to begin with.

Anyways, good episode overall and a good battle at that. No Team Rocket involvement = good. I hate sacrificing some 10 seconds during a gym battle to see what Team Rocket is up to, only to be blasted off a couple of seconds later. It's getting lame, so I'm happy about it this time. As for the battle itself, too much switching. Turtwig didn't get that much screentime, Pikachu and Buizel were great. It was also nice to see that Icy Aqua Jet again. And good job to Ash for having no fainted Pokemon and won at his try.

Yet in all technicality, Buizel never did have a losing streak to begin with.

Anyways, good episode overall and a good battle at that. No Team Rocket involvement = good. I hate sacrificing some 10 seconds during a gym battle to see what Team Rocket is up to, only to be blasted off a couple of seconds later. It's getting lame, so I'm happy about it this time. As for the battle itself, too much switching. Turtwig didn't get that much screentime, Pikachu and Buizel were great. It was also nice to see that Icy Aqua Jet again. And good job to Ash for having no fainted Pokemon and won at his try.

Quote Originally Posted by Durden View Post
    You can really see what Takeda ain't good at: Background characters. Gligar, Ambipom, Chimchar all looked totally off.
    I ve got a question as well! Is Takeda good at anything? Animationwise?
    Man, this gym wouldn´t be half bad if it wasn´t for the awful animation...great battles need style and smoothness and not stock footage and stiff-3-frame-pikachu-turning-around-animation...

Other than that, I really don´t like Turtwig´s speed-powers. It can run across walls now? What´s next? When will it learn to fly Shaymin-style?

Animation aside, the episode wasn´t that bad. I liked the last part of the battle against Flowsel, how Pikachu drilled itself into Gyarados´s head and Morlord ( what´s its name again? quag...si...re? funny americans ) getting screentime. It just didn´t feel epic like the 3rd gym. I know some Ash-fans will say that this episode was cool because of Ash winning without a loss on his side...but...really, this episode wasn´t this exciting.

I hope we´ll see Wake again. He is a very funny and interesting character but he needs to do more...

btw, is it really okay to use the recall feature to avoid your pokemon getting hit? In the games you can do the same, but the attack will hit your other pokemon instead. Maybe I am scratching the bottom of the barrel with this, but...nya,...I like to complain.
    4 Generations - 8 Teams - 48 Pokémon - 1 Trainer

The ep wasn't mind-blowing, but it served its purpose. Little details really made me like it.

Also did anyone notice how buizel came up with that underwater sneak attack all on its own? (When Flowsel was chasing it in the water) I always like to see the Pokemon improvising for themselves when the trainers can't give them orders. Tho this is null and void if Ash did tell him to do it X3; I can't understand japanesey.

was it just me or did none of wake's pokemon use brine?

In the past 3 gyms at least one of the pokemon used there gym leaders signature TM move.

Roark- Onix (i think can't remember)- stealth rock
    Gardenia- Roserade - grass knot
    Maylene- meditite - drain punch

why did they stop?

they also stopped giving gym leaders 4 episodes each apperently.

im not really surprised ash won without loosing a single pokemon. according to someone on this forum(i dont remember who) there was a magazine a while back that said dawn and ash where gonna breeze through their contests/gym battles this year.

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

I don't feel like nitpicking but Staravia's hair was awfully long in this episode. I might ask for the hair pills the bird is using because I'm losing mine.

Gligar looked totally off... like horrible. Seriously, it just looked weird with the wide and big head and the small body plus the eyes.

It maybe Just me, but besides the Horribble Animation I'm really happy with this episode. I mean Not one KO for Ash's side, and pretty much Buizel has shown itself to be a real battler, Maybe Ash doesnt suck so bad after all?

Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    I don't feel like nitpicking but Staravia's hair was awfully long in this episode. I might ask for the hair pills the bird is using because I'm losing mine.

Gligar looked totally off... like horrible. Seriously, it just looked weird with the wide and big head and the small body plus the eyes.
    yeah, i noticed that too. gligar sorta looked like a stroke victim and quagsire just..disturbed me

Quote Originally Posted by red2000 View Post
    It maybe Just me, but besides the Horribble Animation I'm really happy with this episode. I mean Not one KO for Ash's side, and pretty much Buizel has shown itself to be a real battler, Maybe Ash doesnt suck so bad after all?

agreed. buizels cool and all, but i think it should take a backseat to chimchar, gligar, and staravia for now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

I'm curious about two things in regards to animation directors - whether or not they're all paid the same rate and whether these duds like Takeda and the like actually pay attention to the work of their superior colleagues. Maybe they'd actually learn something.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddiUrsa View Post
    I hope we´ll see Wake again. He is a very funny and interesting character but he needs to do more...
    I touched upon this in the speculation thread. The fact that they're rushing things a bit before the movie comes out unfortunately leaves Wake with only half the episodes that the previous 3 leaders had, so here's hoping they pull a Gardenia and bring him back for a future appearance. He's portrayed as a wacky enough character that they could really do some entertaining things with him.
    btw, is it really okay to use the recall feature to avoid your pokemon getting hit? In the games you can do the same, but the attack will hit your other pokemon instead. Maybe I am scratching the bottom of the barrel with this, but...nya,...I like to complain.
    I think we also discussed this when Ash did the exact same thing with Turtwig in the Eterna Gym battle. On one hand, it's a good thing to get your Pokemon out of harm's way if the odds are stacked against them, but theoretically, you could keep spamming your Pokeball recall every time an attack is fired and go nowhere.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

Ew... s: This episode was so not well done. As, like, many people said, the animation was extremely poor. D: I don't know how they pick their animators, but... why choose someone that sucks for, like, an important episode? What a waste.

THE END.

Quote Originally Posted by S.Suikun View Post
    I think we also discussed this when Ash did the exact same thing with Turtwig in the Eterna Gym battle. On one hand, it's a good thing to get your Pokemon out of harm's way if the odds are stacked against them, but theoretically, you could keep spamming your Pokeball recall every time an attack is fired and go nowhere.
    They could theoretically do that, but the referee could call the challenger to be disqualified if he/she does.

Does anyone know how Buizel reacted to Floatzel?

Is he like Pikachu and Bulbasaur?

Or, hopefully, not?
    Current Black Team: Rivka (Stoutland), Elmo (Musharna), Scarlett (Whimsicott), Gabriel (Carracosta), Reese (Klang), Sean (Mienfoo); all are at level 47. Currently in Victory Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Araleon View Post
    Does anyone know how Buizel reacted to Floatzel?

Is he like Pikachu and Bulbasaur?

Or, hopefully, not?
    "Bui~~~~"
    Thats about it.

*~Openly Gay and Proud~*

Quote Originally Posted by ~Gregguru~ View Post
    "Bui~~~~"
    Thats about it.
    So it didn't seem oppossed to the idea of being one? Yay! Maybe Kingler won't be the only evolved Watr type Ash has...

I just watche the episode as well, and it wasn't the best Gym battle ever...

The best one this region is definitely Maylene.

I'm a little shocked at how fast Quagsire was taken down by Buizel after Ash withdrew Turtwig cuz of the Ice Beam. And then no more action, oh well. At least Buizel isn't on a losing streak any more.

Also, wow. The changes in people's opinions is fast. Buizel the next Charizard? No way. He respects Ash it seems, and I think he has bonded with him.
    Current Black Team: Rivka (Stoutland), Elmo (Musharna), Scarlett (Whimsicott), Gabriel (Carracosta), Reese (Klang), Sean (Mienfoo); all are at level 47. Currently in Victory Road.

I'm just happy that it wasn't a stupid, cliched, pikachu victory. On the other hand, turtwig and gligar seriously need some screentime.
    The most powerful ghost type has only one hp?

No fair!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast