Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Two-Sentence Story Exercise

Lightbulb The Two-Sentence Story Exercise

I'm sure you've come across a link that leads you to several two-sentence horror stories, where people try to elicit horror within the very short range of two sentences. One of my favorites has to be:

The last man on earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock at the door.

Two very simple sentences, but put together, they form a very clear scene and the makings of an interesting plot. It leaves you with many questions: Why was he the last man on Earth? Why was he in a room? Who or what was knocking? How did the man feel? What happened next? That sense of mystery and ambiguity is, in my opinion, what makes this particular story successful.

As an exercise for all of us, let's all try to make the best two-sentence stories we could think of. It doesn't have to be horror - it can be any genre, theme, or subject that you want, as long as you can deliver a story in two sentences. It can be a two-sentence version of any of your current or future fics, or it can be a two-sentence version of an idea that's been bugging you in your head, or it can be two random sentences you've put together to form an amazing story. Whatever it is, it could possibly help your fellow SppF writer out of a plothole, or it could inspire someone to write an entire story out of it!

Let me start it off with this one, which I really only put together because I'd feel bad if I started this thread without giving one of my own:

His shopping list was short and simple: "pens, stationery, rope, medication." He bought everything except for the medication.

Really sloppy, but it sort-of represents this story idea I've had for a month now which I've temporarily shelved because of the Alpha and Omega contest. XD

Can you do better? Of course you can! Show us your amazing two-sentence stories!

--

P.S.: I made a similar thread almost four years ago, but instead of two-sentence stories, it focused on six-word stories. If you need even more inspiration, or if you want to take a look at the awesome six-word stories that some members made almost four years ago, go ahead and click the link above!
    Last edited by Dramatic Melody; 22nd July 2014 at 3:20 PM.

Berries -- Escape Rope -- A Friday

images were taken from three specific pages of Serebii.net

Sounds interesting. My two-sentence story:

A loud boom was heard all across the planet. Earth was being flung away from its dying star, never to return again.
    My trade shop is now open!
    --------------------------------------------
    The Cosmic Voyage (on hiatus because of boredom)
    3DS Friend Code: 1418 - 7771 - 0495
    Friend Safari: Grass
    2DS Friend Code: 1865 - 0564 - 3202
    Friend Safari: Psychic
    ---------------------------------------------
    YouTube
    DeviantArt
        Spoiler:- Shiny Pokemon:
    I HAVE CLAIMED SEALEO. YOU WILL PERISH AT THE FLIPPERS OF THE SEALEO MASTER RACE (Spheal was already claimed).

He suddenly realized it wasn't just himself who was a dragon in disguise. He looked up and put together the facts that made it clear that every human, even the guy by the door, the girl at the table, the old man at the bar, every single person walking outside and the rest of the other seven billion people on the planet were all still using the ancient disguise passed down so many years ago and no one even knew about it anymore.

And then this popped into my head:
    The judge died quietly in his sleep, and the coroners never figured out how. His wife, meanwhile, quietly took their daughter out of the country and taught her how to forget all the sleepless nights she had with Daddy.

And another:
    After a long day at work, it's nice to come home and hear the welcoming bark of a doberman. Unless, of course, you don't own a dog.

And one other:
    After a long day at work, it's nice to come home and hear the welcoming bark of a doberman. That's why you kill it first.
    Last edited by JX Valentine; 18th May 2014 at 5:59 PM.

REBOOT: Chapter thirteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

Okay, these are going to be some of my new attempts at two-sentence stories.

I looked into the darkness, and confirmed that there was nothing watching me, no monster, no alien, no murderer. Instead, the cold black eyes of the darkness were watching me.

People were staring in my direction, looking behind me in a horrified daze. I turned around and saw a blood stained corpse; my body.

It slowly advanced towards me, crawling ever so quickly down the infinite hallway. I tried to calm myself down by thinking that it is only dream, when I remembered that I part of someone else's dream, and couldn't save myself.

He knew he was coming towards the end of his story. What he didn't know was when the last sentence of this novel would come, and the last word would end his manipulated life controlled by the writer.
    My trade shop is now open!
    The Cosmic Voyage (on hiatus because of boredom)
    3DS Friend Code: 1418 - 7771 - 0495
    Friend Safari: Grass
    2DS Friend Code: 1865 - 0564 - 3202
    Friend Safari: Psychic
    ---------------------------------------------
    YouTube
    DeviantArt
        Spoiler:- Shiny Pokemon:
    I HAVE CLAIMED SEALEO. YOU WILL PERISH AT THE FLIPPERS OF THE SEALEO MASTER RACE (Spheal was already claimed).

He supposed a sane, rational person ought to be having some regrets right about now. But it didn't matter anyway, the drop wasn't long enough for that.

"Tiger snake bites aren't lethal, right?"

"...let's just cross our fingers and hope for the best, shall we?"
    Last edited by Poetry; 18th May 2014 at 8:50 PM.

The lone wanderer's weapon shook in his hand. The room was devoid of light, and the faint whispers of the dead filled his ears.
    Nothing interesting here. Carry on.
    Author's Profile

She sat in the dim lit, looking at her hands as cold tears rolled down her face. Screams from the other room broke the silence, the girl now worried if she is next.

"No matter where you are, people find a way to entertain themselves"

PASBL| Guild |Tumblr |League |Pathfinder

Expressions of horror written on your face, you make the conscious effort to shut down your computer. Before another thought could blip through your mind, your world goes black.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Although she so desperately sought revenge, she decided - after some thought - to spare his life.

Unfortunately, he didn't do the same.

Who cares about cookies? Come to the Light Side, we have CUPCAKES!

Animal Crossing: New Leaf Dream Code: 7100-3458-5872

There was something that tasted strange in the cupcake, so she examined it more closely before taking another bite. There was an eye in her cake.

☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

When Zathern first shows off his evolved form to her with too-desperate enthusiasm, all she can see is Tharann pinning her down and the sick gleam in his eyes that she can't help imagining in her son's.

She excuses herself politely, and soon an unfeeling predator viciously chases down a Swellow, murders it and eats it, then stands dully on the forest floor and wonders vaguely why its limbs are trembling.

(This is recursive fanfic of elyvorg's Foregone Conclusion. It probably doesn't make a lot of sense without having read it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
    He supposed a sane, rational person ought to be having some regrets right about now. But it didn't matter anyway, the drop wasn't long enough for that.
    There are several ficlets I like here, but I think this is my favorite so far. I can imagine so many stories preceding it.
    Last edited by Dragonfree; 20th May 2014 at 12:19 AM.

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

The happy couple entered the cinema, hands tightly held together. They left separated, the ironically-sweet popcorn now scattered through their hair.

Hm, let me try this out too. I want to get a bit into writing again ^^.

She liked to help him with many things. And now she is feeding the worms for him.
    I'm a Christian and I have autism. Both makes people special. Does this mean I'm double special? The answer is ''No'' because everyone is equally special.

Due to personal stuff, I'm not as often online as I was before. I'm sorry if this causes any inconvenience.

And this Future seems to be a Wild one
    Claimed Scyther

Thanks to Chapter of Charizard for the Button

Getting curious what those letters in the button stand for? Find the introduction of the PASBL here

Quote Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
    The notion that one's maturity is desided by what they enjoy is steeped in immaturity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Guy View Post
    Arceus gave zero ****s that day...

The detective closes the file on his latest case with a smile. Nobody can catch him now.

The second to the last time he said "I love you" to her was after she caught him bringing home another girl's underwear. The last time was right before she shot the gun.

Berries -- Escape Rope -- A Friday

images were taken from three specific pages of Serebii.net

At first I thought the errand I was running was going to be simple and easy, even with my brother. But once again, I was proven wrong as he did what he usually did: get me in trouble.

Banner by Brutaka, Buttons and Userbar by Astral Shadow
    Avatar Changes: 3 (From Charmeleon EXFL to Zekrom Pokémon Conquest to Charmeleon Battle Trozei to Zoroark BlackWhite, from October 6, 2013 to April 16, 2014 to May 23, 2014 to June 13, 2014)

It was nothing but the drumbeat that the women heard for every single moment of every single day of her existence in the ever-expanding and accelerating universe that she regrettably called "home". Then again, that is what happens when you marry a drummer boy.
    ~Author's Profile ||~|| <Fly High Graphics> ~
    ~rTTL: Chapter 3: 22% ||~|~|~|| rAVT : Chapter 2: 0%~

You shake your head with a sigh as you sit back in your chair and look in your beloved's eyes. "What is wrong with some of these people?" you sigh out as the pair float slightly in the jar.
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger Angel View Post
    He suddenly realized it wasn't just himself who was a dragon in disguise. He looked up and put together the facts that made it clear that every human, even the guy by the door, the girl at the table, the old man at the bar, every single person walking outside and the rest of the other seven billion people on the planet were all still using the ancient disguise passed down so many years ago and no one even knew about it anymore.
    CONSPIRACY. /sorry
    That actually sounds like an interesting idea for a full-fleshed story!

Let me just think of something... Hey, how about something from this unwritten Zelda fanfic that's been in my head for who-knows-how-long!
    I was told, later on, under the sunset sky, that he would return one day. But when he did...

No matter how great the distance is between us… Even if we never meet again… Our hearts will always be together.
    I will always be with you even in spirit. Forever and ever.

"What's that behind you?"

It only took a second after I turned to feel the cold blade slide itself into my back.

It wasn't your average kind of cold that a blanket or two could help with; it was the kind of cold one could only truly experience by sleeping on a bed made of ice. Incidentally, Dan had been doing just that.
    ~Author's Profile ||~|| <Fly High Graphics> ~
    ~rTTL: Chapter 3: 22% ||~|~|~|| rAVT : Chapter 2: 0%~

"So, old pal, what favour did you wish to ask me?"

"Can you please stop murdering people?"

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi_Muffin View Post
    "So, old pal, what favour did you wish to ask me?"

"Can you please stop murdering people?"
    Sorry, but I have to do this. "Caaaaaaaaaaaarl!"

Anyhoo:

She looked forward to seeing him again. With the wind blowing against her back and arms outstretched, she closed her eyes, smiling as she imagined falling into his arms.
    I survived Pupa.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast