o hai. This is the thread discussing everything and anything (sorta) of the romantic dyad between Ash and Misty. This is the fourth iteration of this thread, the first thread being obliterated in some freak terrorist attack, the second thread being closed on account of crowd control, the third thread closing due to the previous incumbent leaving office.
Mist/Kris, our previous beloved maintainer, has an account of this thread's history without my perverse liberties:So, I am your new thread maintainer. I'll try my best to keep this thread oiled and topped off with gasoline so that we can crash and burn spectacularly to usher in the eagerly awaited fifth iteration of this thread.Back in 2004, a thread was created our former Shipping Mod, Kiori. Her version of the thread has about 80 pages with more than 1,000 posts until a hacker came in and decided to delete it. You can imagine the reactions when that was news here. Then, we had former member Ryuu create the next thread, which reached about 1,800 pages along with more than 22,000 posts. Awesome, right? Yeah, the fun didn't last long when many things went wrong. See the last thread for more detail. Now, with this thread, I don't know how well this one will go compared to the last, but hopefully with the cooperation of all Pokeshippers, we can all make this one a hit.
Enjoy the new thread everybody. I know I will.
Why even have this thread?
Everyone knows who Ash is I reckon. He's been the star of the anime since the beginning, incessantly trying to be a Pokemon Master, whatever that means.
However, not everybody may remember Misty, especially fans who haven't watched a significant portion of the anime prior to Advanced Generation. For fans who've gotten into the Pokemon anime in Advanced Generation and Diamond and Pearl, I suggest you watch some old Pokemon reruns of when Ash was still traveling with Brock and Misty. Some later episode suggestions will come later in this thread.
Misty is Ash's very first member to join his party. She made her debut along with Ash in the very first episode of the entire series. She gets justifiably angry when Ash steals her bike and subsequently gets it destroyed much like what he does with the bikes of subsequent girls who join his party. But unlike the other two girls that later travel with Ash, Misty stands out in that she holds a grudge against Ash and much to his chagrin, annoyingly follows him in order to seek reparations for her bicycle.
Throughout the show, we see evidence and clues as to Misty's real intentions in following Ash. Even though Misty pretends that she merely tolerates Ash, you see starting even from the third episode that she actually admires him. We start seeing that this admiration was actually attraction with various episodes cracking Misty's tough exterior and showing rare moments of tenderness towards Ash, sensitivity towards accusations of her liking Ash romantically, and even jealousy. Misty's feelings for Ash ends up culminating to a point where she is given the difficult choice of starting a romantic relationship with a charismatic gym leader or staying by Ash's side. Her feelings are thoroughly tested and tempered as Misty ultimately chooses to stay with Ash.
The attraction isn't entirely one-sided. Although Ash rarely shows attraction to members of the opposite sex he has only shown them towards Misty. He also shows the same emotions as Misty albeit, less consciously: physical attraction,jealousy, embarassment,tenderness.
So with that laid out, there's seems to be plenty of substantial evidence that the two like each other. But, what the hey, Misty isn't even here anymore!
Misty eventually ceased to be a permanent cast member following Ash's completion of the Johto circuits. After a long and tearful good bye to Ash, Misty parts ways with him, still keeping her unrequited love a secret. Misty leaves her feelings unresolved as she becomes gym leader for the Cerulean Gym. We continually see her thinking about Ash romantically despite being separated from him.
With this heavy background history set in place, there is quite a bit of questions and commentary that inevitably arise regarding this relationship. Is Ash's feelings as strong as Misty's? How strong is Misty's feelings for Ash now that she's separated from him? Are Ash's feelings for Misty still even there?
These few questions are just a set of many. That's why this thread is here, to discuss, investigate, and speculate just what the heck is going on between those two loveboids </meowth>.
Rules, Regulations, Policies, Standard Operating Procedures, Army Field Manuals, Etc
1. All SPPf rules apply. Following them shouldn't be too hard.
2. Please, absolutely no bashing of any kind. Respect one another and other people's opinions. If you have a problem with someone's opinion, rationally point out what you don't like, don't impulsively and baselessly attack his position.
3. No double, triple, or more posts are allowed. Only one is needed.
4. If you wish to post an image, do [img139*]insert-link-here[/*img139]. Take out the stars, okay?
5. All fanart not created by you must be credited to its author.
5. No one liners [post consisting of one line or less], please.
7. Please stay on topic. That means, discuss only Pokeshipping. Not the characters alone, not other characters. Ash and Misty together.
8. Everyone has three chances. Meaning, if you disobey the rules three times, you will be blacklisted from posting here. But if you break the rules once/twice, then you're likely to have a PM from me. But if you annoy me or the mods to a greater extent, you'll be shot on sight.
A non-exhaustive list of suggestions we can talk about
- Discussion of hints and moments between Ash and Misty.
- Debating hints.
- Fanworks such as fan art, fan fiction, websites, banners, anime music videos, wallpapers, icons, doujinshi, etc.
- Suggestions for managing this thread in general.
Resources and Links
- The Bulbapedia PokeShipping page - it's quite an exhaustive list of hints and evidence of Ash and Misty. The problem is that there's plenty of hints listed on the page that don't really make any sense as to how it shows Misty liking Ash and vice versa. Browse at your own risk.
- The PokeShipping Hint List - Another exhaustive list of PokeShipping hints. It's more oriented towards locating the minute cute moments between Ash and Misty that illustrate their friendship/budding relationship than it being a documenting trying to prove the existence of their attraction to each other. A fun read.
- Mist/Kris's PokeShipping Website Links - Moar resources and links to finding fan art and informacion.
- The satokasucastle LiveJournal Community - Friends. It needs it.
These People Will Be Shot On Sight. Survivors Will Be Shot Again.
List of Topics
- When/if Ash and Misty get married, do think they would settle down to raise a family, or do you think they will keep traveling together?
- If a 'Tower of Terror' accident were to happen to Ash again and once again, only Misty was able to hear him, what would you imagine to happen? Would Ash spring back to life again in a short while? Or would the situation be more serious and he would risk dying? In fear of losing Ash's life, would Misty confess to him? Or would she keep it to herself again? What about Ash?
- If both Ash and Misty were to perform as the Prince and Princess in the mermaid performance in Cerulean City, how would you imagine it to go? Would it go perfectly? Or would something happen?
- If you were to encounter Ash and Misty, would you do so cosplaying as either one of them?
- How would Misty react upon receiving knowledge that Anabel and/or Angie have shown an interest in Ash?
- What are your expectations from me, this thread, and AshxMisty in the future?
February 3rd, 2009
- Added Topic: "If you were to encounter Ash and Misty, would you do so cosplaying as either one of them?"
January 30th, 2009
- Added Topic List.
- Added Topic: "How would Misty react upon receiving knowledge that Anabel and/or Angie have shown an interest in Ash?"
January 28th, 2009
- Initial check-in.
- The PokeShipping Evidence List: a list that actually proves the existence of Ash x Misty.
- Epic Post List: Links pointing to posts in this thread that people may find cool or interesting.
Inaugural Topic: What are your expectations from me, this thread, and AshxMisty in the future?