Page 2 of 267 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Advanceshipping General Discussion: Where Ash and May ADVANCE together ;D

I was an Advanceshipper way back in the day when Advanced Generation just started in Japan. Shortly after, I lost interest in Advanceshipping, as well as shipping as a whole. About a month ago, however, after reading some fanfiction out of boredom, the idea popped back into my mind. While most of you probably don't know me, I would like to once again discuss Advanceshipping. It's all nice to see the there's a new thread, as the old one was too disorganized... Anyway, onto the topic.

What made you become an AdvanceShipper?

Mostly fanfiction. While shipping didn't appeal to me at first, Advanceshipping fics allured me into the whole concept of shipping. Advanceshipping was always my favorite, though.

Let's go back to May 2007(geddit? MAY?)...
    Pokemon. Oh, it was that anime I used to watch. Hold on, I still have those games on my GBA! Wait, there's a new one for the DS?

Enter my sister. She mentioned something about "Advance Generation reruns". She also said something about Ash traveling with a new girl. That was the moment which piped up my curiosity. A new girl? Wasn't that "Misty" still with him? Oh crap... how was I supposed to know about this when I had stopped watching the show in mid-Johto?

Anyhow, I watched AG. It was good. May was different, and the whole series was - I donno - fresh? Anyway, I did my research - and I loved fanfics. I went on to Fanfiction.net and thought that a nice, long fanfiction would do. Before that, I'd visited Bulbagarden. Incidentally, the shipping forums caught my attention. And coincidently, the first thread was the Advanceshipping discussion thread.

That was followed by May's Crush, Bulbapedia, me watching Pokemon again...damn, my sister became an advanceshipper too. Trust her for wasting my time.
    Last edited by EarthBorn; 1st July 2008 at 2:46 AM.

Well I've answered this a lot of times during my stay here at SPPf (first topic I answered in the original thread, in fact), and it's always a challenge trying to put my thoughts together ^^;;

Let's see... I, like many others here, was out of the anime loop for a long time (abandoned around about mid-Johto; not really my choice due to network anti-coverage, but I must admit the filler format was getting very stale). Eventually I saw the Pelipper episode of early AG, just by chance. At first I was like "Haha, wow, they're still going with this show? I bet it's still a whole mess of filler", and so I sat down to watch it. But no, Misty was gone! And a new girl was in her place; the delightful May.

Now I'd always been a huge fan of the Pokemon games and I adored the Hoenn girl's design (and much of Hoenn in general) so I was really excited when I saw that they were using that design for a new co-star. Almost immediately I noticed a drastic difference in Ash and May's relationship when compared to Ash and Misty (I've never been a fan of love-hate relationships and after the Orange Islands I figured Pokeshipping would become canon for sure). So it was all the more refreshing to see their relationship as a playful, friendly one. May would tease him sometimes, but it was all in good sport and I really did feel (and still do, of course) that there's a unique chemistry between the two of them. The mentor/student dynamic is also simply wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel-Girl View Post
    Plus Gazmof's fic (which I've been meaning to review for quite a while) has made me more of a fan. So I guess I got converted?
    Yaaaay! :D That's so great to hear that I got someone into the pairing 'cause of my fic; that's like the ultimate compliment, really, so thank you ^^

And hey, Meganium Ex! I remember you from the old thread; you had quite the post count there. Welcome back to the fold, and to all the other new people who've begun posting!

And kawaii serebii... Took you long enough, huh? ^_~
    Good Love Charm
    *COMPLETE*

By reading an x-rated SatoHaru fic named 'getting some satoshi finally' far too many times. xD But yeah, I also read some other fan fiction that got me into it.

Other than that, I quickly enjoyed May's character and started shipping her with Ash. I loved her interactions with Ash is well. Also they look very cute together and I adored the fan art of them.

☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

*Steps in*
    Wait...never mind. /false confident tone/ Good (insert time here). /end/
    Okay, I don't do public speeches. Over that.

Well, I honestly don't know. I think it might of been the fact I like May...and Ash, for that matter.

As well, I dropped from the anime earlier than most of you people did...and also didn't watch much of AG. So, May, I didn't know from the anime...anyways.

Also blame Bulbapedia's random page function. That's also how it worked out.

Methinks it was heighted after I read a advanceshipping fic here...what was it called? Destiny Bond? Aura Sphere? Wait, it has a sequel...*looks further up page* a sequel, Sacred Fire. Blame Earthborn for that. Read it...it's worth your time...

Well, that covers it. *steps out*
    *peeks in* I'll be back... *gone*
    Last edited by Manix; 30th June 2008 at 12:52 PM.

Wow, already thirty posts and 455 views to boot. I think a pat on the back is in order =D

Welcome to the discussion Mel, I'm happy you decided to stop by =)

I've been a bad advanceshipper, only posted once since the opening of the thread =(

Oh, I like this question! Hmm, what made me become an advanceshipper indeed....

Well, like a lot of pokemon fans, I stopped watching around the beginning of Johto but came back towards the last few episodes of it. I still really wasn't interested in it, in fact, I think I came back to it because I had nothing else to watch :x But then, when the commercials of AG began to play, I was really excited thinking: Who is this new girl? Will Pokemon become better? Or worse? And then, when AG finally began to play I just fell in love with May's character and I've always wanted to find someone to ship Ash with, so they seemed to match to me.

I can't honestly remember when I began to take the shipping seriously because at first I just thought about it for fun and stuff. But there was a period from when I finally found Pokemon fanfiction on ff.net and made my own account to when I actually started posting fanfiction that I was an obsessed shipper. Seriously, all my thought and time went to AS. So I guess, to answer the question, what really made me an advanceshipper was simply fanfiction.net and all the awesome AS writers there =D

@ Gazmof: I like your signature =3

EDIT: by the time I finally post, more posts go through xD;; so, my bad, I guess it's thirty four posts, not thirty
    Last edited by Uzamaki Hinata; 30th June 2008 at 1:14 PM.
    ~*Uza-chan's Good bye*~

IS SUPAH FIIIINE

Quote Originally Posted by Uzamaki Hinata View Post
    Wow, already thirty posts and 455 views to boot. I think a pat on the back is in order =D
    Yeah, quite amazing isn't it? Only shows the like for AaMayl is still strong ^^

What about a new topic to keep this fuzz going?

How would you describe one of your own favourite advanceshipping moments?

This could be a nice 'hint' in the anime or any other personal experience with the ship that made an impact on you. I'll answer this later.
    Bring Back The Golden Age

When I first started watching the anime I was in love with aamayl. They just looked so damn cute together and worked SO damn well together! I just couldn't resist! I could feel the love...

~riolulu

Wait, Meganium from BMGF? Well, it's a pleasure. BTW, the thread you started is still going.

I have to say, one of my favorite moments so far was when I saw the raw for DP076. I was so into it, I was mesmerized.

Time for another topic, I guess...
    What's your favorite fanart?

^This one, by Suzu (his site's down, so why put a non-working link?)
    Last edited by Jbstormburst; 1st July 2008 at 7:13 PM.

My Fanfiction Account Page
    http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1396894/JbstormburstADV
    My AdvanceShipping Board
    http://jbstormburstadv.proboards98.com/index.cgi
    Roses die. Ribbons last forever

That banner was ridiculously over 46800 pixels so it was removed. Please read the signature rules.

Well, first, what is one of my favorite AS moments? =O once I think of that, I'll get back to this question =D

Easy~!

This one from: PD+ I just love how, first, they're drawn because it's so adorable <3 Also, the look on May's face of total admiration as she watches Ash playing with Pikachu. I've loved this fanart ever since I first saw it

And this one too, for obvious reasons

Also from PD+

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to say before, welcome new and old posters =D
    Last edited by Uzamaki Hinata; 1st July 2008 at 12:49 AM.
    ~*Uza-chan's Good bye*~

IS SUPAH FIIIINE

Quote Originally Posted by Gazmof View Post
    And hey, Meganium Ex! I remember you from the old thread; you had quite the post count there. Welcome back to the fold, and to all the other new people who've begun posting!
    Thanks for the welcome, nice to see at least one person knows who I am, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbstormburst View Post
    Wait, Meganium from BMGF? Well, it's a pleasure. BTW, the thread you started is still going.
    Well, not really. I started the account, but then gave the username and password to my friend, which I regret, as he did something incredibly stupid that got me perma-banned, lol. At least the thread is still going.

Considering I only watched the beginning of the Advance Generation series, my fondness of the ship mostly came from fanfictions. There are a few particulars in here that I really enjoyed. Is this answering the topic? lol, I don't know.

One I really like is a pretty famous one, that shows Ash holding May around the waist, in which some lightning surrounds them. I'll post later, too lazy to go search for it now.

I stopped watching the anime shortly after the 2nd season of Johto began. Sometime in 2005, I saw the first episode of AG, and it occurred to me that Ash and May made a good couple. Over the next year, I saw more AG episodes that reinforced that belief, and then I found out about the entire community/fandom etc.

What's your favourite fanart?

From http://www.suzu.raindrop.jp
    Last edited by swampert55; 1st July 2008 at 1:47 AM.

Guess who's back? Wish I post sooner but after looking through the new thread I'm impressed at how many people already posting. So I guess this means you're doing a good job, Gazmof. And as for Hunter, your last words really touched me. No one else could have written it better. Oh yeah, almost forgot about Uza-Chan. You may be outnumbered by two boys, but you know what they say about girl power...plus you stand out from the rest.

This question never seems to get old but at least we get to know each other a little. Now back then, I didn't know people even called this kind of stuff shipping. My first actual experience is when everybody was into Pokeshipping. For me, it never really caught on despite the hints I've witnessed over the years. When the old group parted ways I was looking forward to a new kind of adventure basically because I prefered Ash going solo. But it wasn't long until a new character shows up and you know the rest. My first reaction upon seeing May was something towards the line of "Hey, it's that girl from the Ruby/Sapphire games." I was getting a bit curious as to how the cartoon will turn out so I gave it a looksee. Then I realized, "You know, Misty was just all right. Maybe it's good that they got rid of her." After a few watching of episodes, it seems like Ash and May got along great and already becoming good friends. Then I started thinking they look cute together. Even after awhile, I have never fully understand the concept of shipping, less knowing they actually call it that. It was back in 2006 that I've actually stumbled upon Serebii.net and I find more Pokemon stuff than previous places. Not too long I got to this forum and found a shipping thread. By that time I hear everybody "shipping" this and "shipping" that so I figured I go to find out why. I look through the list of shippings and they basically mean **** to me. One ship got me just a little interested, and funny enough, it is Advanceshipping. The title was a bit familiar because it was the name of the new Pokemon cartoon. I check it out and learned quite a bit about it. A dedicated community where you share a common interest; a metal show is like that, but I have no idea it is really popular here among this type of community. I read more of this stuff and I've come to understand what it means to be an Advanceshipper. Prior to this, I've already look through many Advanceshipping fics and fanart elsewhere. After two years of studying, I now fully understand the concept of shipping, and after two years, I am now a supporter of many ships. This one turns out to be my all-time favorite because it really shows what it means to be there for each other. Now, if only they can just embrace each other I be satisfied. And a kiss.

I can't figure out how to get this picture to show here so I'll just do this.
    Click here.

This one really got to me and it still does to this day. Here's the link if you want to know.
    http://www.thepokemontower.com/artis...esky/art1.html
    Last edited by The Horizon; 1st July 2008 at 2:37 AM.
    My Music Playlist

Lost in a sea of sadness
    Blind in this place of darkness
    If I fall, would you be there to raise me up?
    Or will I be the forgotten one?

Well Avanceshipping is my second favrite Haruka shipping so I'll join

What made you become an Advanceshipper

Well during some of the Hoenn league episodes I managed to see some romantic parts during the cartoon. Also Haruka and Satoshi get along quite well wuth each other. So pretty much during Pokemon Advanced, Advanced Challenge, and Advanced Battle I thought Advanceshipping would be possible. The part on Pokemon Ranger And The Temple Of The Sea when Satoshi was going to put the final piece of the Sea Crown back defenetly a part of Advanceshipping. So if Haruka gets together with Shuu then somehow they break up. Also if Kasumi broke up with Satoshi then Satoshi and Haruka will be together. Okay I've got my reasons down

What made you become an Advanceshipper?

For me It was seeing some of the more advanceshippy episodes like the Bicker the better and Date expectations, I started to realize that Ash and May had great chemestry together and after awile I just started liking the pairing more and more until it became my favorite.

Ahahaha... Well, I can't really access the Internet during weekends coz of the lack of power outlets in the library and McD's network isn't stable.

New topic: How would you envision the future of AdvanceShipping?
    Need I say it? For it to become canon. And live in some town with 3 kids and etc etc... Oops, got carried away ^///^

This is the start of a brand new journey...

FF.Net +
    PB + DA + Blog

Wa-hey...new topic.

How would you envision the future of AdvanceShipping?
    Canon, obviously. Because it's great! ^_^;

Depends, how would I want to see it or how I think it will be? xD *shot* I am so for the idea of marriage and kids right now, in fact, that's the type of fanfics I'm searching for 8D But back to the question: honestly, I'd like the idea of them becoming a couple after May is done with Johto and Ash with Sinnoh, I don't know why atm, but it makes sense =D And then, even when they have travel away, at least they know the other is thinking about them. <3
    ~*Uza-chan's Good bye*~

IS SUPAH FIIIINE

Quote Originally Posted by Uzamaki Hinata View Post

Depends, how would I want to see it or how I think it will be? xD *shot* I am so for the idea of marriage and kids right now, in fact, that's the type of fanfics I'm searching for 8D But back to the question: honestly, I'd like the idea of them becoming a couple after May is done with Johto and Ash with Sinnoh, I don't know why atm, but it makes sense =D And then, even when they have travel away, at least they know the other is thinking about them. <3
    I agree. It does make sense. I'm doing a fanfic right now, but no ending, no title My brain's too fried out from keeping up with the fanfic challenges in another thread and now I got 3 chapters to rewrite and three assignments. And my AS signature isn't coming along well either *shoots bad quality signature*

This is the start of a brand new journey...

FF.Net +
    PB + DA + Blog

Great job with the new thread!

Well.. I guess it helped that the very first raw, and the very first AG episode I saw was.. The Bicker the better. I guess I assumed that people would like the pairing similarly to Pokeshipping, and personally, I didn't mind the way they interacted. I thought it wa a nice change of pace, and though I didn't hate Misty, I was glad that there wa anew girl on the scene, Though having said that, now I would like to believe that the writers don't perceive the girls as expendable, because that's the impression I"m getting, but I digress.

I guess it pretty much went from there. Though there wasn't that much in terms of jealousy or direct flirting (then again, when is there for any ship?) but I appreciated their friendship, and that's good enough.

Granted I was a Gymshipper first (still am), but of course with Misty and Brock in the places that they were I wasn't expecting.. all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Meganium Ex View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, nice to see at least one person knows who I am, lol.
    Don't worry, I remember you aswell ^^ It's good to see old regulars found their way to this new thread too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horizon View Post
    And as for Hunter, your last words really touched me. No one else could have written it better.
    Thanks a lot, I tried to give the tread the good last post it deserved, but it is better recieved than I expected. ^^

This is such a difficult question for me as I change my opinion on this like everyday (to be fair I like almost all of PD+ and Suzoko) xD There is just that much to choose from...

Well now I like these:

from PD+.

http://jinxsatoharu.deviantart.com/a...rince-43006425 From Jinx.

http://r-sraven.deviantart.com/art/S...u-pic-41539599 by Raven.

by FireEmblemFreak.
    Last edited by Hunter_RuLe; 1st July 2008 at 12:49 PM.

It's future is as we (or rather the Pokemon writers, if you're talking about canon) make it. I believe that most of us would like more fluff and stuff, but I personally want to see a little more mature and thoughtful side of the two characters, as they begin to embark on a relationship. However, they should take care not to lose their fun-filled personality in the process, otherwise, they wouldn't be Ash and May.

This a tough decision to make. I'd go with...

...it's picture perfect. Nice to know we have great artists like Suzu, PDX and Judgement with us.

PS: Ignore Manix. He doesn't know that within Destiny Bond lies a secret plan for world domination. Thanks Manix.

I have some other (lesser known) arts/artists I wanted to share because of the topic =)

by ashsat.

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs13/f/20...hirisuLuva.jpg By PachirusuLuva.

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs24/f/20..._Summer181.jpg By Endless-Summer.

Well to be honest, it isn't very likely that Advanceshipping, other any other main shipping in pokemon, is becoming canon anytime soon. The anime's main course is advertising games and entertaining kids afterall. But I don't really mind that much actually, it leaves space for us to imagine, discuss and write about. Ash and May will see eachother again for sure, and who which cute moments we might get in the future?

Time to answer these topics.

What made you become an Advanceshipper?
    It's kind of complicated. I used to be a 'closet' Pokéshipper, I mean, I supported Pokéshipping even without knowing it. Then, I found out that the 9th movie was online for download on BitTorrent sites, and it would take a while for it to be shown in Portugal (to this day, nothing yet) I decided to download it.
    After I watched it, I felt that they had something between them, otherwise the Livdisc wouldn't have swam with them. Then I started researching about the newly discovered concept of Ash and May as a couple. I Googled "Ash May +couple" and found nothing that I found interesting, and I gave up. After coming here (I had another account here, but it was deleted), I started reading a PS fanfic, which name I can't remember, and suddenly, my PC rebooted. After I got online, again, I started searching for the fic I was reading, and by accident, I was taken to PikamasterADV's "May's Crush: Final Frontier". Since it was a sequel, I had to read the first to understand. And so I did. And I got converted. And now, here I am.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...g/kaminari.jpg
    For me, this is the best one.

How do every shipper envision the future of their ship? Becoming official, of course!
    What Happens..., an AmourShipping fic.
    Read it if you want, I won't force you.

"An inspiring book on overcoming life's obstacles."
    New York Times 4-8-2016

Write it down on your calendars.

Quote Originally Posted by kawaii serebii View Post
    I agree. It does make sense. I'm doing a fanfic right now, but no ending, no title My brain's too fried out from keeping up with the fanfic challenges in another thread and now I got 3 chapters to rewrite and three assignments. And my AS signature isn't coming along well either *shoots bad quality signature*
    Aww, I'm sure it'll turn out fine in the end. ^__^ Just don't stress on it too much. Your signature looks fine to me, what's there to complain about? =O

Quote Originally Posted by The Horizon
    Oh yeah, almost forgot about Uza-Chan. You may be outnumbered by two boys, but you know what they say about girl power...plus you stand out from the rest.
    Thanks =D lol, girl power~!

Oh, I've been trying to look for that fanart for forever Hunter! *saves*

Describe, hmm, I dunno, what do you mean by the question? What's my favorite advanceshipping moment in the anime? Because if it were that, I would easily say the Donphan episode where Ash was telling May to go to the contest by herself and he and the other would catch up with her. I remember thinking it was so cute when I first watched it. And even my friend who wasn't a fan of pokemon, called me and said she was thinking of me when that happen because I always talked to her about advanceshipping.
    ~*Uza-chan's Good bye*~

IS SUPAH FIIIINE

Page 2 of 267 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast