Page 72 of 263 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 6565

Thread: Advanceshipping General Discussion: Where Ash and May ADVANCE together ;D

Geez, I haven't posted here in forever! Anyway, it's nice to be back

Which do you think is more representative of Advanceshipping: Advanceshipping fan art or Advanceshipping fan fiction?

Wow, now that's a tough question. I think I'd have to go with fan art in this case, though. I usually don't like reading AdvanceShipping fan fiction since some of the stories out there can be really long and I can never finish reading them. AdvanceShipping fan art on the other hand, is something I can look at and appreciate almost instantly. They say that a painting is worth a thousand words so I think fan art is a better representative of AdvanceShipping. That's just how I feel though, so don't take it personally if you're an avid fan fiction reader :]

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Limit View Post
    Yes, true, but that's the beauty of writing! Finding ways to paint an image in the reader's head, using voice and one's tone to express themselves and take a reader into not only the story, but your thoughts and feelings! Also, with writing, so many things and actions can be interpreted and thought-provoking. In my opinion a piece of writing can move me more than fanart (although I am moved by art as well). Then again, the same can be said about fanart, and how it's left for interpretation as well (sometimes, but maybe I'm over thinking things -_-).
    Yes but most people like fanart than writing because most people hate reading. its only does dedicated fans that go to fanfiction. I have a dA account and i post fanfiction and fanart of advanceshipping there. I wrote a one-shot and i only two people comment on it and little views while with my fanart it was more than that.

There are a lot of people today who have a hard time reading English since it is a hard language to master. but with fanart you don't really have to understand English to get the message of the drawing the artist has created.

But hey, we all got different point of view about this. i just wanted to say that. hehe.

The 4th Kira, i don't remember you much. i guess i wasn't on here when you were. lol.

No lie, when I saw your name, I was worried you were a contestshipper, Breeder Drew.

Grats on getting Black Version, Hot Limit! (If any of y'all want a Timid nature Zorua I have a few I don't need and am willing to trade for whatever you want to give me.)

4th KIRA, welcome back. I don't remember you either. Sorry. I'm glad you've rejoined the discussion though!

Which do you think is more representative of Advanceshipping: Advanceshipping fan art or Advanceshipping fan fiction?

Not really a fair question - that's like comparing apples to oranges (or Leppa Berries to Oran Berries, for those berry-savvy people out there) because they're designed to do different things.

Fanfiction is supposed to show how characters change and events unfold in fairly good detail, while fanart captures only one moment, but in stunning clarity.*

To dig a little deeper, they have other pros and cons. Fanart has the age old adage "A picture is worth a thousand words" going for it, while fanfiction puts you inside the characters' heads in ways art can only hint at with expression, posture, etc.

* the exception: fanart comics fuse art with a little bit of story as well. ftw.

What made ME become an AdvanceShipper?

Because Ash and May go so well together. They have a stormy relationship at times, but it is a generally caring one that I think would benefit if it blossomed into full-blown romance. I certainly think it's a lot better than some of the other ships out there and I support this one with every fiber of my being.

Hey guys, haven't posted here in a while.. Just came in to say a quick hello, and elaborate on the weighing topic of discussion.

Which do you think is a better representation of Advanceshipping?

In my opinion, these two, very articulate projects come from two different worlds, yet are connected in various ways. Firstly, a writer tries to describe a scene, conveying the emotions/hardships of the characters, and tries to create a mental scene, almost as if watching the Anime in your head. It is also many scenes, as the author will try to paint those scenes in your mind, trying to put together a "episode"

Fan Art on the other hand, is basically a one-shot in words. The downside of this, is that it can only represent one scene, or capture one moment if you will. However, "A picture is worth 1000 words.", and as such, the meaning of a picture probably goes well beyond what we see.

All in all, I'm pretty neutral on this subject, if not leaning slightly towards FanFiction.
    What I'm Currently Working On:

Destiny of the Aura. An Advanceshipping FanFic!

Creds to BrutakaBlaziken for the outstanding banner!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightjewelz View Post
    Yes but most people like fanart than writing because most people hate reading. its only does dedicated fans that go to fanfiction. I have a dA account and i post fanfiction and fanart of advanceshipping there. I wrote a one-shot and i only two people comment on it and little views while with my fanart it was more than that.

There are a lot of people today who have a hard time reading English since it is a hard language to master. but with fanart you don't really have to understand English to get the message of the drawing the artist has created.

But hey, we all got different point of view about this. i just wanted to say that. hehe.

The 4th Kira, i don't remember you much. i guess i wasn't on here when you were. lol.
    Yes, but I wasn't referring to that, because I agree with you on that. I was referring to your statement on how artist can put emotions where authors can't, since I feel writing can paint a picture in the readers head. I wasn't talking about what others liked, I was just talking about what writing can do in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zant View Post
    Grats on getting Black Version, Hot Limit! (If any of y'all want a Timid nature Zorua I have a few I don't need and am willing to trade for whatever you want to give me.)

Not really a fair question - that's like comparing apples to oranges (or Leppa Berries to Oran Berries, for those berry-savvy people out there) because they're designed to do different things.

Fanfiction is supposed to show how characters change and events unfold in fairly good detail, while fanart captures only one moment, but in stunning clarity.*

To dig a little deeper, they have other pros and cons. Fanart has the age old adage "A picture is worth a thousand words" going for it, while fanfiction puts you inside the characters' heads in ways art can only hint at with expression, posture, etc.

* the exception: fanart comics fuse art with a little bit of story as well. ftw.
    Yes, thank you (but it's mostly the reason I have replied so late-can't stop playing)! Anywho, I'm the biggest noob when it comes to things like trading, so I'm not entirely sure how to start that process.

And you have said what my mind has been twisting and interpretting for a while now! I agree with you on your points.

Yes, but I wasn't referring to that, because I agree with you on that. I was referring to your statement on how artist can put emotions where authors can't, since I feel writing can paint a picture in the readers head. I wasn't talking about what others liked, I was just talking about what writing can do in general.
    Oh i see, now. that makes sense.

Now time to feature more AS fanfics. shall we start?

Midnight's Top Five Reads for April
    "…I feel like he gives me my strength."

True Feelings Will Overcome = Timana

Ash Ketchum is in Sinnoh. May Maple is in Hoenn. They haven't seen each other in nearly two years. But Ash is determined to get to Petalburg City. Why? Simple. A promise.

Its a okay fic, the detail is alright its just i believe this author needs to pace himself down and work on describing battles and dialogue better. its not the best reads I've read but if you like adventure AS fics than this fic will work for you well. its got 75 reviews thus far so it isn't that bad.

Roses and Marigolds
    = Aestivate

Throughout her life, Haruka has been at held at bay by the roses. But she's starting to find that she likes the marigolds more

This is a beautiful one-shot. in most one-shots i've read that include my fav PKMN love triangle (AshxMayxDrew) its not all about May seeing Drew cheating on her and goes to Ash and blah blah blah. but in this one-shot its Drew that breaks up with her in what a say, a anime adaptation way. you have to read it to truly understand it. this is one oneshot that is worth reading, it really is.

Prelude to Paradise = Besanii-Chan

Oftentimes we say goodbye to the person we love without wanting to. But that doesn't mean that we've stopped loving them or we've stopped caring. Sometimes goodbye is a painful way to say I love you.

Another classix AS fic about May and Ash talking over viaphone saying that they will meet each other in Sinnoh. a side track story that the Wallace Cup never happened kind of thing. but the best part isn't that. you see May goes missing and then Ash and Drew have to travel with each other to find her. it a first which i love. kinda cute right? hehe. a nice read totally.

Darn Those Persistent Knockers = KrystalClear101

All I wanted to do was disappear. To crawl into a deep abyss of sadness and self-pity. To stay there forever. It seemed possible, right? But…there was one problem. He wouldn't let me.

The description might be confusing but after reading this super cute one-shot you will be able to say it matches the story completely. what i love about this one-shot is that no body talks and the description does it instead. its beautifully written despite the shortness of it.

Forgiveness XAOTL Omega

Title says it all.

One of my favourite AS writers is XAOTL Omega and every fic he/she writes is a must read. i love it to pieces. this one-shot is so sad it will make you cry. the emotions he/she puts is amazing and the polt is beautiful, even though the ending will put you in tears. so if you want to read a tearjerker. than this one-shot is it.
    Last edited by Midnightmoon6o2; 3rd April 2011 at 7:19 AM.

My apologies for not posting in the past week.

I'd like to dispute that point. While artists can integrate emotions into their work, writers are able to expand upon such emotions and depict the ways in which they change. Fan art has more visual impact and universal appeal, but the nature of writing is such that it can be far more accurate in portraying characters.

Roses and Marigolds
    = Aestivate

Throughout her life, Haruka has been at held at bay by the roses. But she's starting to find that she likes the marigolds more

This is a beautiful one-shot. in most one-shots i've read that include my fav PKMN love triangle (AshxMayxDrew) its not all about May seeing Drew cheating on her and goes to Ash and blah blah blah. but in this one-shot its Drew that breaks up with her in what a say, a anime adaptation way. you have to read it to truly understand it. this is one oneshot that is worth reading, it really is.

All I wanted to do was disappear. To crawl into a deep abyss of sadness and self-pity. To stay there forever. It seemed possible, right? But…there was one problem. He wouldn't let me.

The description might be confusing but after reading this super cute one-shot you will be able to say it matches the story completely. what i love about this one-shot is that no body talks and the description does it instead. its beautifully written despite the shortness of it.
    These two are both excellent pieces that are well worth reading. Anyway, all five of your recommendations seem rather... downcast. Is there a reason why?

True Feelings Will Overcome = Timana

Ash Ketchum is in Sinnoh. May Maple is in Hoenn. They haven't seen each other in nearly two years. But Ash is determined to get to Petalburg City. Why? Simple. A promise.

Its a okay fic, the detail is alright its just i believe this author needs to pace himself down and work on describing battles and dialogue better. its not the best reads I've read but if you like adventure AS fics than this fic will work for you well. its got 75 reviews thus far so it isn't that bad.

Roses and Marigolds
    = Aestivate

Prelude to Paradise = Besanii-Chan

Oftentimes we say goodbye to the person we love without wanting to. But that doesn't mean that we've stopped loving them or we've stopped caring. Sometimes goodbye is a painful way to say I love you.

Another classix AS fic about May and Ash talking over viaphone saying that they will meet each other in Sinnoh. a side track story that the Wallace Cup never happened kind of thing. but the best part isn't that. you see May goes missing and then Ash and Drew have to travel with each other to find her. it a first which i love. kinda cute right? hehe. a nice read totally.

Forgiveness XAOTL Omega

Title says it all.

One of my favourite AS writers is XAOTL Omega and every fic he/she writes is a must read. i love it to pieces. this one-shot is so sad it will make you cry. the emotions he/she puts is amazing and the polt is beautiful, even though the ending will put you in tears. so if you want to read a tearjerker. than this one-shot is it.
    Well, I've read all but the first two. I'm going to have to read those sometime then.

Quote Originally Posted by swampert55 View Post
    My apologies for not posting in the past week.

I'd like to dispute that point. While artists can integrate emotions into their work, writers are able to expand upon such emotions and depict the ways in which they change. Fan art has more visual impact and universal appeal, but the nature of writing is such that it can be far more accurate in portraying characters.

These two are both excellent pieces that are well worth reading. Anyway, all five of your recommendations seem rather... downcast. Is there a reason why?
    I don't think I've been explaining myself accurately enough, since everyone seems to misunderstand what I've been saying, or what I've been trying to say (because I certainly agree with your statement). Author's can input a great sense of imagery in their writing, making one feel the mood and tone of their piece. I agreed with Midnight on the fact that maybe others might like to look at visuals than reading.

Downcast? as in these fics are not up to your standard as good fics or as in they have sad based themes around them? im confuse. o.o

Another fabulous list, Midnight! I needed to read some good Advanceshipping.

I agree mostly, especially with the bolded line. Artists can show intense emotion, sometimes in ways writers can't (humans are very visual creatures) but a writer has no competition when it comes to chronicling how feelings and relationships change over time.

For example, no paragraph, book or series of books can describe this picture:

In a way that will create the same sense of awe.

Likewise, a picture can never show the passage of time or the true feelings of the human heart. It's stuck in a moment, and it can't get out of it. It's forced to always take an outside look at a single slice of time, and writing has no such constraints.

So it depends what you're looking for: the instant gratification of fanart, or the eventual benefit of writing. Both have their times.

Nice list Midnight! Forgivness was very touching, and I highly recommend everyone reads it. Also, I got a topic-

What is your wishlist for R/S/E remakes? What is your perfect ending if May returns to the Anime?
    What I'm Currently Working On:

Destiny of the Aura. An Advanceshipping FanFic!

Creds to BrutakaBlaziken for the outstanding banner!

Downcast? as in these fics are not up to your standard as good fics or as in they have sad based themes around them? im confuse. o.o
    No, I did not intend for my statement to be taken like that. I've read the latter four, and they were certainly up to standard; my meaning was that none of them are very light-hearted fanfics. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

No, I did not intend for my statement to be taken like that. I've read the latter four, and they were certainly up to standard; my meaning was that none of them are very light-hearted fanfics. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.
    Oh i see, maybe next month i might find some happy fics. actually i decided fill your request. this one-shot was originally meant to be in my March list BUT it went missing because i didn't add to my fav list so i had to find it during school.

Here we are = S. Muffin

The missing piece from her life had returned to her at long last; the other half to her ribbon and the other half to her heart.

Short but absolutely CUTE. this one-shot is short but it will bring a smile onto your faces. this one-shot reminds me back in my early days of advanceshipping where the one-shot back then were so all happy-based. if you want a happy and 100% cute one-shot to read this is the one. its a old one but really good.

To add to my response to that, i guess the reason why there haven't really been many happy based fics/one-shots is because May really hasn't made a cameo since the middle of '08. but sometimes the sad one-shot/fics are the the most powerful and most remembered fics because the way the emotions and the description is exposed to the reader.

What is your wishlist for R/S/E remakes? What is your perfect ending if May returns to the Anime?

For the games, i want better graphics and the contests to be more fun to play and gym rematches to be frequent. perfect end would be she ends up with Ash and Drew is never heard of again is just a good closer as well and good convincing advanceshipping hints. we need more of them now.

Oh i nearly forgot to share this with you guys. its my recent advanceshipping artwork. hope you like it. =D

Artist: Slivermoon602 (Me)
    Last edited by Midnightmoon6o2; 6th April 2011 at 10:54 AM.

What is your perfect ending if May returns to the Anime?

My version of a perfect ending would involve May and Ash getting married, but that probably won't happen. I guess my second version of a perfect ending would just involve Ash and May meeting up with each other again. It seems like forever since Ash and May were together so seeing them bond one last time would make everything perfect in my mind. I'd want a nice scene with Ash and May at the beach just talking about their journeys as the sun sets. You know, the usual romantic setting. I've actually been picturing a moment exactly like this since May returned to the anime for the Wallace Cup, but the writers weren't as cooperative as I had hoped

Anywho, I'm the biggest noob when it comes to things like trading, so I'm not entirely sure how to start that process.
    I can teach you if you want.

Great job on the fanart, Midnight! I swear you get better every time!

:P Ash and May have children (YES RIGHT AWAY), I guess? And their son starts with the child of their Bulba/Venusaurs.

Oh i see, maybe next month i might find some happy fics. actually i decided fill your request. this one-shot was originally meant to be in my March list BUT it went missing because i didn't add to my fav list so i had to find it during school.

Here we are = S. Muffin

The missing piece from her life had returned to her at long last; the other half to her ribbon and the other half to her heart.

Short but absolutely CUTE. this one-shot is short but it will bring a smile onto your faces. this one-shot reminds me back in my early days of advanceshipping where the one-shot back then were so all happy-based. if you want a happy and 100% cute one-shot to read this is the one. its a old one but really good.

To add to my response to that, i guess the reason why there haven't really been many happy based fics/one-shots is because May really hasn't made a cameo since the middle of '08. but sometimes the sad one-shot/fics are the the most powerful and most remembered fics because the way the emotions and the description is exposed to the reader.
    Fanfiction.net search engine is able to sort again... and I was disappointed to see so few AS fanfics updated in the past month. I've been reading Chinese fanfics on Baidu forum Advanceshipping forum (http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=%D6%C7%D2%A3 if it's of any help to anyone) in the meantime; a few of them are quite good and updated often (although installments are very short). I've read the story you linked to before as well.

^I would not want them to have children right away as that would prevent both of them from travelling. I would rather see the two of them travel as a pair to the next destination, hopefully with dynamics like those of AG001/2. After a few more seasons, it would be reasonable for them to get married, etc.

^I would not want them to have children right away as that would prevent both of them from travelling. I would rather see the two of them travel as a pair to the next destination, hopefully with dynamics like those of AG001/2. After a few more seasons, it would be reasonable for them to get married, etc.
    Haha yes, this is what I meant. CAPS LOCK was my "I-just-got-back-from-work-and-I'm-tired" was of implying sarcasm. My bad, my bad.

I'd like to see them travel, but I'd also like to see them travel alone. Watching them getting along (and sometimes struggling to do so) would be interesting and full of win, I believe.

Fanfiction.net search engine is able to sort again... and I was disappointed to see so few AS fanfics updated in the past month.
    Ah, finally.

And I'll start writing a new fic I've been concocting if somebody will start doing my homework. Equivalent Exchange! :P

Fanfiction.net search engine is able to sort again... and I was disappointed to see so few AS fanfics updated in the past month. I've been reading Chinese fanfics on Baidu forum Advanceshipping forum (http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=%D6%C7%D2%A3 if it's of any help to anyone) in the meantime; a few of them are quite good and updated often (although installments are very short). I've read the story you linked to before as well..
    Yeah, i noticed that as well. it makes me sad to see such little fanfics of advanceshipping lately. but i found a good one lately. i might put him on my list for next month.

FF.net is back working again. yay! i can start to uplode my chapters more daily now that school's out for two weeks. =D

And I'll start writing a new fic I've been concocting if somebody will start doing my homework. Equivalent Exchange! :P
    I have English holiday HW to finish. so i have to pass. hehe.

:P Ash and May have children (YES RIGHT AWAY), I guess? And their son starts with the child of their Bulba/Venusaurs.
    Oh, that's an interesting idea. I seriously never put much thought into them becoming parents. Wow, that's such a cute thing to picture, too. They could have two kids: one with brown hair and one with black hair. Heck, they could have tons of kids, but it would be cute if some had traits of Ash while others had traits of May. And it wouldn't even have to be gender-specific either; I'd love for them to have a daughter who would act like Ash and focus on Gym battles and a son who would act like May and focus on Contests. Seeing their first child start off his/her adventure with a Bulbasaur would be so adorable as well. Gosh, I'd love to read a fan fic about Ash and May starting a family :]

I can teach you if you want.

Great job on the fanart, Midnight! I swear you get better every time!
    That would be awesome! xD Thank you!

Yeah, i noticed that as well. it makes me sad to see such little fanfics of advanceshipping lately. but i found a good one lately. i might put him on my list for next month.

FF.net is back working again. yay! i can start to uplode my chapters more daily now that school's out for two weeks. =D

I have English holiday HW to finish. so i have to pass. hehe.
    I've been having a big case of writer's block for a lot of my stories, but I agree with you on the trifling amount of advanceshipping fics. I think you should tell us now since I've been really wanting to read more advanceshipping fics (plus if it goes on the list, that's going to be in 20 days), but that's just me since I'm really impatient most of the time.

May's return? If she does return, I don't want to expect too much, but I'll just say a nice advanceshipping hint (especially if it's during his travels and she comes to visit). Both of them traveling together would be nice as well though.

Haha yes, this is what I meant. CAPS LOCK was my "I-just-got-back-from-work-and-I'm-tired" was of implying sarcasm. My bad, my bad.

I'd like to see them travel, but I'd also like to see them travel alone. Watching them getting along (and sometimes struggling to do so) would be interesting and full of win, I believe.

Ah, finally.

Progress on my current fic has stalled due to external issues that are not easily resolved or put aside. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    Oh, that's an interesting idea. I seriously never put much thought into them becoming parents. Wow, that's such a cute thing to picture, too. They could have two kids: one with brown hair and one with black hair. Heck, they could have tons of kids, but it would be cute if some had traits of Ash while others had traits of May. And it wouldn't even have to be gender-specific either; I'd love for them to have a daughter who would act like Ash and focus on Gym battles and a son who would act like May and focus on Contests. Seeing their first child start off his/her adventure with a Bulbasaur would be so adorable as well. Gosh, I'd love to read a fan fic about Ash and May starting a family :]
    One child with black hair and one with brown hair? I feel as though that's been used in every such fanfic in existence. I don't mind, though, it seems rather natural to me. The idea of Bulbasaur as their starters - that's something I haven't heard before and that I like.

I've been having a big case of writer's block for a lot of my stories, but I agree with you on the trifling amount of advanceshipping fics. I think you should tell us now since I've been really wanting to read more advanceshipping fics (plus if it goes on the list, that's going to be in 20 days), but that's just me since I'm really impatient most of the time.
    This situation is essentially unavoidable, considering that the fan base of Advanceshipping, like those of other older major ships, has matured and reached a plateau. Only dedicated supporters of the ship (the frequent contributors in this thread such as you and I) remain active. Our total output volume can only reach a certain level, and I think we've reached the point after which the rate at which new fanfiction is posted will remain essentially constant. Until May returns, it would be unreasonable to believe otherwise, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    Lol, you don't know how many fanfictions i've read with that theme. family, two kids, one black hair, one brown, one trainer, one coordinator and both having a blubasaur starter. not saying its a bad idea its just its been used more than once. like i've have done in "A Strangers Mystery" lol.

The problem with "Ash and X Girl have kids" fics, in my opinion, is they rarely take the time to flesh out the little details - there are so many new features and characters that have been added - so many details about the couple itself that get lost in translation because the writer either focuses too much on the kids and their respective journeys, or there simply isn't enough emphasis on the family life at home that doesn't translate into a shippy fic - it just becomes a journey fic with original characters who have parents we already know, love, and wish desperately would become an item.

I typically write fics with long, epic storylines, but I have frequently toyed with the idea of writing a "slice-of-life" fic about Ash and May's future married life together. I think it would be absolutely wonderful to hear about the little details that would make their relationship so strong and powerful in their later years after having completed their dreams of becoming the greatest Pokemon Master/Coordinator there ever was.

Having said that, although the concept itself of a fic about Ash and May's kids isn't completely foreign to me, I honestly haven't seen many examples of it (I see a lot more Ash x Misty fics with this kind of premise). I think my personal problem with this kind of fic is just that they have so much promise that ultimately it's a huge, uphill struggle for the author to capitalize on it, and nine times out of ten the story suffers because it can never bring itself to live up to the potential it truly has.
    Good Love Charm
    *COMPLETE*

Page 72 of 263 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast