Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Arriving In Style! (554)

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonHero View Post
    BTW, did anyone else here think that Hermione looked like Edna Mode from The Incredibles? That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw her.
    Sure, I suppose I could see that. I also laugh that her name is Hermione. At least it's an original name this time.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterDragon trainer View Post
    This episode was ok; not really the best one I’ve seen. It always seems Ash has so much difficulty to get a gym battle. So many characters in this episode are the ones I can’t stand; snotty, stuck-ups. I also like how Ash and Dawn get introduced and not the others. Thought James’ reaction to Jessie’s makeup was hilarious. Also, I find it strange that Ash & co still hasn’t known that Jesselina is really Jessie despite her having used the same costume a billion times. Kinda like how Paris always seems to be saying ‘tambien’ (Spanish for ‘also’). Liked James’ part of the changed motto. Coco REALLY annoyed me. So glad she lost.
    ??? Um, no... she was saying trčs bien, "very good". Very forced French, but it was French.

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post
    I fail to see what everyone loves about this episode. I thought it was rather boring. Sure there were good parts, but as a whole not that great.
    I can say I was a bit unsure as to whether or not it would be any good, but the amount of comedy sure made up for it (James and Brock's scene was just priceless. The writers really seem to enjoy pushing the obliviousness of the main cast as far as they can).
    Granted, I did find it a bit too predictable. I mean, c'mon, it was almost certain the Dawn was gonna win. Well, at least in the aspect that the whole concept is cliche to begin with...

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    Uh, no. Think about it. Her name is Paris. Paris is the capital of France. In France, they speak French. She was saying "tres bien", French for "very good".
    Yeah, I knew she was speaking French. Although, I think it would have been a bit better if she at least had a mild accent. I don't mind if the French would have been a bit rough, but I find it more "believable" when there's at least some kind of accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    I didn't realize why she was using French so much at first either.
    I did, but didn't really think much about it mainly because of how it was used. You know when in some shows they'll use a French word or two for one specific thing if it's exceptional? Yeah, that's how I initially thought it. Then she kept using it...
    meh, au moins elle utilisait un peu de qualité. The VA at least made a mild effort to make it sound right.

Well, I hope this means that Fantina will have an accent int he dub then.
    If she doesn't have a Spanish accent, I'll be disappointed.

All in all, I ended up enjoying it to some extent. Sure, it wasn't a high profile episode, but I found it enjoyable. The scenes with Brock and James were just perfect. I mean, I know that even in the lightest disguises Team Rocket is invisible, and the writers know this, so they pushed it as far as they could. Which made it even funnier.

There were some other neat mentions, like where Dawn remembers a key tip from Zoey. And, anybody surprised that Brock can make outfits really doesn't know him. Sure, it seems odd, but he had to know these things.

Piplup was quite literally "thrown" in for good measure. Oh yeah, they just had to have the penguin randomly appear. I don't remember you being in the first half of the episode...

Overall, not bad, great humor, and a decent lesson. Many nice references were made too.

6/10.

~C_L~

"I'm not really here that much, if at all. I've moved on, to a different site."

"But, it's been fun. I'll come back every so often, but for the most part, I won't post much."

- Cobaltios

I have to say I liked this episode much better when I couldn't understand it. The dub ruined it for me. Paris=not French at all. The only decent accent was Lady Coco's.

I actually liked Piplup's interuptions. *shot* Trying to take out TR's mecha and failing made me laugh. Also getting rejected by Buneary.

Whoever's a fan of BrockxJames must be in heaven. Those two had great scenes together.

While it's great that Dawn keeps remembering Zoey's advice, does this mean all we're going to see from now on is unbelievable wins based on boring appeals? Honestly. Ash was so much better then Dawn this time.
    [img]http://i41.*******.com/161xsaq.png[/img]
    Credit to HikariTajiri - Thank you very much!

Shadow disappeared off the face of the earth.

Paired with Sonic Boom, twins with Pearl's Perap

I didn't like this episode at all :/ there seemed to be no point to it.

What you love of mine is always yours.
    Animated by me.
    Wife ~ Daughter ~ Pair ~ Twin ~ Claim

So the fact that Dawn gained a confidence boost by winning something was pointless?

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

So the fact that Dawn gained a confidence boost by winning something was pointless?

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

I fail to see what everyone loves about this episode. I thought it was rather boring. Sure there were good parts, but as a whole not that great.
    To each his own, I suppose. I personally loved it because of slight character development for Dawn and the (very funny) interactions between Brock and James. James seriously made this episode for me.

I thought that this episode was one of the best in Sinnoh. I like that Paris was speaking French during this episode. I also, like Dawn's appeal for this episode. I think it was really well done and that there will be more episodes like this in the future.

A Pokéstyling Contest I see now, and it would seem that Dawn gave Coco a lesson in style simplicity. I'd say that Ash deserved that award for uniqueness, and I did chuckle at the hug Buneary gave Pikachu when Paris announced Dawn's victory. As ever, poor Team Rocket's plans were foiled, but this time, the results may have been even uglier (hint, hint) than Jessie, James, and Meowth thought. A lighthearted episode this was, and I will agree with the narrator about Dawn and Ash's new experiences from the Hearthome Collection.
    Babylon 5, Codename: Kids Next Door, 24, and now, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I am many things at once, and many people might have different opinions about little, old me. If freedom is my main idea, then harmony, individuality, and modernization are the three attributes I now sense and track. Those three attributes and that idea combined to make the United States of America a great global superpower and Pearlshipping and Wishfulshipping great Pokémon couples, and now, they've combined to make those four shows truly great television programs to me. I will enjoy enthusiastically supporting the Equestrian ponies' adventures for peace, for humankind, for the future.

I thought this was quite a nice episode, Dawn and Buneary did really well and i thought the Mismagius looked quite good as well.

The Mismagius trainer was a little full of herself and that's why she lost.

Credit to Mr. Joker for the Glee banner
    Credit to Skiyomi for the lovely Blue Snover banner

If anyone is interested in a custom ribbon for your profile pic, be sure to check out Ayra's sprite thread in the fanart section, if you want to take a look at her work have a look at my profile.

Anyone noticed Hermonine looked like Maddie Blaustien?

Nice episode, i love watching this one..oh and Mismagius is soo cool in the anime!
    >>PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, MY 3DS FRIEND LIST IS FULL!<<

Episode that not helping a lot to the Anime. Any episode without battles are getting less interestings.
    I also wanted to see more from this Luppuny but she did not do much.
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

That robot that TR used looked just like a pink version of King Drazil, the final villain in Digimon: Data Squad. Seriously, I would be surprised to find out they didn't get the design from that. So few people watch Digimon, so they wouldn't likely forsee anyone noticing the relationship.
    FCs: 1564-3330-7308 (X) and 0361-6238-7128 (Y)
    Friend safari types: Fairy and Rock, respectively. PM me with your FC if you add me.

Pokemon Styling Contests seems like a fun new addition to the series. I wish we had them in the games, they seem more entertaining that the Super Contests are. At least Dawn got a chance to show off her style in the anime.

Anyway, lovely filler episode. Not much action but certainly a lot to see in terms of fashion and Pokemon alike. 8/10.
    Last edited by Lorde; 8th August 2010 at 7:52 PM.

that is a cute and girly episode
    OMG ash and pikachu dress as king of jungle/tarzan
    Farewell Dawn~sept.28 2006 to sept.9 2010

What I don't get is: what were the unique award and accesory award?
    The grand prize was a miniscule tiara and chance to work on a project with that magazine; but they didn't actually show what the prizes were that went to the other two finalists. As far as we know, the only thing that Ash and Coco recieved that the first-round losers didn't get was an honorable mention. What gives?
    FCs: 1564-3330-7308 (X) and 0361-6238-7128 (Y)
    Friend safari types: Fairy and Rock, respectively. PM me with your FC if you add me.

Oh GOD. This was the episode where Ash dresses like Tarzan. That was really wierd. "Pokemon Dress Up" makes Poke's seem like dolls or something..
    Didn't like this episode.
    5.8/10

Ah, the ongoing secret bromance between Brock and James, gotta love it. LOL

This episode would have been better if it hadn't been for the obligatory egotist gal who insists she had the stuff to win (you just knew there had to be one for an episode like this), but Team Rocket help make it interesting, with James and Brock's bonding in the stands, and Jessie destroying the look James made for her and Wobbuffet, to James's horror. LOL I also thought Dawn did a great job showing off Buneary too, and Ash and Pikachu's were hilarious.
    My Shinies: NEW!! 7/15 NEW!! 7/24 NEW!! 7/26
    Currently hunting/MM'ing:
    To reclaim:

I'm one of the few people who actually enjoy contest episodes and I liked this one. I liked the appeals and Brock and James were really funny. Glad Dawn won, good episode.

My favorite moments:
    - Ash's costume design being shown.
    - James' frustration with Jessie modifying his designs, as well as Brock providing his compliment and overall opinion.
    - Cocoa getting her comeuppance.

Now for some imput, I'm looking through the series to determine whether the majority of the episodes contribute to the Season or are fillers. Now Dawn obviously does goes on to improving as a Coordinator, so did Zoey's advice (as shown in flashback) prompt such an improvement?

It was an okay episode I guess, I did find the Brock/James scenes funny, does James even know Brock is a breeder? He sounds surprised about him knowing this stuff.

Coco seems a bit well alot stuck up, that woman wearing the glasses and short black hair reminded me of an actress or two with that style, I seen such characters in TV dressed exactly that way, oddly they seem to all almost have the same personality or similar.

Dawn's Appeal was the only one I actually liked, the others were meh and okay.
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

^ I don't even think TR realised Brock was in a Gym Leader's family until the episode in Battle Frontier. I still don't think they know he was a Gym Leader anyway, so I doubt he knows he's a breeder.

Anyway, good episode! Some of it did get a little tiresome, but there was some funny scenes such as from James.

7/10

[IMG]http://i54.*******.com/3csxu.png[/IMG]
    a.k.a croag

Wow, some tough recent reviews for this episode. I really like this episode, of course, since I think enough of it to stop my back episode reviews for this summer right here.

The Pokestylist competition is the last of the 3 side competitions our heroes get involved in. The first was the Pokemon Dress up competition, won by Brock, and the second was the Tag Battle Tournament won by Ash and Paul. So, fittingly, the Pokestylist competition is won by Dawn. What I think this episode does really well is show some great moments for everyone. In terms of storyline importance, Dawn experiences a few moments of doubt again as she tries to come up with a design that she likes for the competition. She wants one that "feels" right to her, that's really her style, which is really a difficult thing for anyone to do at times. B/c, as Ash says when he takes a look at the pile of designs Dawn has discarded, many of them look great (I'll take his word for that), and he's worried Dawn may not have a design ready for tomorrow as the night is wittling away. I think it's really easy in the world today, well particulary in school (that's all the experience I really have), to get so focused on succeeding and getting done with things that it's easy to lose any sense of identity about why you're doing what you're doing. Sometimes, it can't be helped; time just runs out on you, and you have to make things work with what you have. But this Pokestylist competition is very important to Dawn, much more than it is for Ash, since the crabby old lady did say Pokestylists and Coordinators are really one and the same, so she holds out on just coming up with a design just to come up with a design. She wants to feel confident she understands what are the most important qualities of a coordinator. On the flip side, though, she risks not having anything ready for the competition, and that really would be the worst case scenario for her confidence. But she has just won the Wallace Cup, and so this is an important time for her to solidify what she learned when she won that contest: the important thing, is to show off her pokemon. And, fortunately and wonderfully, she does figure it out and have a design ready. But I wonder how long it took her; Brock mentions to James that he spent the night working on the accessories (I think this means both Ash's and Dawn's), and wow, if he means the whole night, then that must have been scary and stressful for Dawn. In real life, all students get into a position like this one at one time or another, staying up all night to finish something, and so what Dawn faces in this episode is something really relatable.

It's interesting that it's easier for Dawn to be more honest about her fears with Brock than with Ash, and I think it goes to the differences in how they treat her. Ash believes Dawn is good at what she does, and he encourages her, regardless of whether she's really right or not (like at the contest where Dawn had Ampibom go for a bigger and flashier swift, Ash thought it was a good idea while Brock said with a sad smile that it was a bit much). Of course, the bad part about that, is that when Dawn is trying to perfect her technique as a coordinator, Ash probably isn't the right person to be her critic. This goes vice versa, too, for Dawn watching Ash's battling style. But, Ash is so experienced now, that often times he really does know what he's doing, so Dawn's cheering seems right on. I do think you can see a little of Ash recognizing the difference b/w Dawn and Brock, though, at the league, where Ash doesn't let Dawn know what his strategies are and what pokemon he's going to use. He wants her to be entertained. The serious talks, about what's on Ash's mind and what pokemon he wants to use, are done with Brock. Well, I think, as well as I can judge from raw episodes and what what translated at one pt over in the pearlshipping thread.

So...what else to say....Well, I definitely like the crabby lady judge, who believes that simplicity and letting the pokemon's true nature shine are lacking in many of the pokestylists today. Unfortunately, I've been rather dissapointed with how many of the adults I've met tend to be like the glamorous pokestylist who is Dawn's rival in this episode. Well, that's one reason I watch this show, to see the world a little how I wish it would be like. Oh well.

One last thing for each of the twerps and their pokemon:
    Ash's appeal is funny, especially b/c Pikachu has a legitimate reason to be embarrassed. Even so, Ash manages to instill enough confidence in it to perform the appeal.

To Croagunk's amusement, Brock slumps over when Paris does not recognize him from being a semi-finalist at the Tag Battle tournament. The thing is, I think Brock spent more time out of comission for this than he does when Croagunk poison jabs him. Oh yeah, and at the end of the episode after Dawn has won, Brock rushes on stage to let Paris know he designed the accessories.

Dawn's dress is really pretty. I like this one better than the one she wears for the Grand Festival. I'm not sure if the writers meant to do this on purpose, but it's amusing to see Dawn wearing decent clothing while Ash is the one wearing something a little short.

And finally, the funniest scene to me was the one where Buneary hugs Pikachu just when Piplup was about to hug Buneary. You know, I really liked Piplup in this episode, and to me there's one scene where it's easy to see how much Dawn has grown by the way Piplup and Dawn are separated. This is right before Dawn is about to step on stage and has that sort of scary smirk on her face, while Piplup is back with Ash in the background. Almost all of Dawn's lack of confidence scenes have been with Piplup, and considering Piplup had to Bubblebeam Dawn at the Wallace Cup to get her to perform, the fact that Dawn finds the confidence in herself to step on stage w/o Piplup being needing to encourage her shows that Dawn has really found her confidence for good, now. She knows she can be a good coordinator.

An overall good episode....The scenes from James were indeed funny

This episode was ok... It was cool to see Lopunny for the 1st time. It was cool to see Buneary win the Styling Contest, she looked cute in her little outfit. It was absolutely hilarious when Ash and Pikachu dressed up like cavemen for their styling appeal. Interesting how Buneary won with her Ice Beam move. Buneary looked so cute with the Tiara on her head, it goes so well with her outfit.

43/100

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast