Page 43 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1435

Thread: Pokedex One-Shots (PG)

The Munna/Musharna one was adorable. :3 Although in my game, Hilbert caught a Munna himself, two in fact (Though I ended up evolving the female of the pair. She was awesome. xD) I'm probably one of the few people that like them.

Nice use of Dream Mist.
    Last edited by Monster Guy; 18th June 2011 at 10:24 PM.

that was on e of the sweetest stories I have ever read I alomost cried
        Spoiler:- Friend code for Pokemon White:

I cried a bit when writing the previous one.

I had picked this pair out way back in February, for Valentines Day. I ended up changing it a few days prior, because I felt that this pair was really better suited for the summer solstice. So enjoy the longest day of the year, and the beginning of summer!

A little bit of scientific background on this: some insects, primarily ants, communicate through scents rather than sounds. I don't know if fireflies are one of them, but it works for me.

In Process: Dialga/Palkia
    On deck: Samurott/Bisharp, Skarmory/Seismitoad
    Reserve: ??? (7/12)

Illumise and Volbeat

The sky was black, spotted with stars. There was no moon in the sky, although a town several miles off gave a brown cast to the air around it. All around the meadow, there were Pokemon and humans scattered about in small groups. They kept quiet, speaking only in hushed tones. And they all watched the sky.

Then, a brilliant series of lights appeared in the air. Beautiful bright glows cast a great deal of light onto the ground, briefly eliminating the darkness. It appeared as though a shimmering ripple was moving through the air, like the sparkle of sun off a rushing river. Flowing over the crowds, it caused several calls and claps of admiration. Within the light formation, one could see the Illumise and Volbeats who were putting on the show.

After a minute, the swarm descended to a quiet part of the meadow. On the ground were a good number of Illumise, standing near a stream. The one who had been leading the last dance joined them, while the males landed in another spot to wait for the next round. “A flawless start like always, don’t you think?” the one Illumise said to the others.

“And it’s The River Rush as usual,” another one said. “That’s your best one to the point where it’s your only one.”

She twitched her antennae, trying not to look as insulted as she felt. “At least you all know that whatever I do, it’s to perfection. Some of you try to do too much and make all kinds of mistakes.”

“Well are you gong to try any new dances this year?”

Over near the edge of the group, one of the younger Illumise looked over the group of Volbeats. She had been chosen as the leader of the next round and it would be her first light dance at a large gathering. And such an important gathering too, the midsummer courtship dances where she would chose her Volbeat partner; he would be with her until the next midsummer dances. If she messed up, then none of them would want to be with her.

Her mother tapped her abdomen. “Remember what I said, dear: relax and have fun with this.” The older Illumise smiled. “You’ll be leading several more rounds, and a good many of them don’t care about minor mistakes in formation.”

“I’ll try,” she said. “But it’s a much larger swarm than I’m used to leading. There’s so many of them.”

“It makes the light show even brighter, and more beautiful. And they’ll follow your lead without hesitation.”

Over in the Volbeat group, the males were getting a drink of water or boasting to one another. A few of the young ones were nervous, but joined in on trying to one-up each other without breaking out into a fight. That was a definite bad move here, as the Illumise might tell them to leave the dances for the whole night, making the perpetrators unable to be chosen. Sometimes, the more devious-minded Volbeats might try to get others to pick fights with them to get rivals kicked out.

One older Volbeat found three others and waved them to come in closer, so they could talk without being overhead. “You’re doing well so far, boys,” he said quietly. “Seems like the next round is going to be led by a first-timer, so we’ll stick around out of courtesy. The next time one of the older Illumise comes up, though, we’re going to sit out one round.”

“Sit out?” one of the three asked in disbelief. “But won’t they see that as being lazy?”

“Yeah, we’re supposed to show them how tough and strong we are,” another said.

The older one nodded. “Yes, but there is a bit of strategy involved if you really want to succeed. The night is still young and everybody is full of energy. But this is going to go on without stop until the glows of dawn begin. The Illumise might not remember who takes breaks every now and then as there’s so many of us. But they make their choices at dawn, and they will know who is passed out of exhaustion at that point. If you take breaks every so often, you’ll still have the energy to look bright and healthy by dawn. If you try to dance in every single round, then you’re definitely not going to look your best. Stick with me; I can help you learn when to sit out and when the last dozen rounds come up.”

One of the younger ones smirked. “That might work for you old bugs, but I’m tough enough to do this. Just you watch.” He then left to go speak with another.

“Yeah, we’ll be strong enough to even fight in the morning,” a second said, taking off after the other.

The third looked to them, but stayed. “Hey Dad, why are there so many people watching? The Illumise smell wonderful tonight, but some of the ones out there stink and nearly throw me off the call.”

“I don’t really know the answer to that,” the Volbeat said. “I remember when I was your age, the crowd was maybe a third of this. But as long as they don’t disrupt us too much… although that one person did smell pretty strongly of cigarettes. Was that the one who disrupted you?”

The younger one nodded. “Yeah, I almost missed my instructions last round because of that.”

“Let’s see if it bothered anyone else. The Illumise might let us do something if enough of us complain.”

A couple minutes later, the young Illumise flew into the air over the Volbeat crowd. She produced a sweet aroma that caused the Volbeats to take off into the air after her. When in flight like this, the swarm could communicate through scents far more efficiently than through sounds. The Volbeat were trying to be interesting by being obedient to her lead. However, there was also an undercurrent of discontent. She asked what it was.

From a good number of them came the complaint that one of the witnesses was smoking a cigarette and that was disrupting communications for them. There were some parts of the swarm that assured her that she didn’t have to take care of it; it was her first midsummer lead and an older Illumise could handle it. But, if this smoker disrupted her signals, then her first lead would be a disaster. So she let them know that they would handle the smoker this round instead of a regular dance, then asked them where the problem was.

She kept high while they told her where. Down below, she could see a small red glint. Since her instructions could be blocked by the smell, she informed them that they were going to dive down to surround the man, then use Flash to discomfort him with blindness. The other humans should be able to see him then, especially if some of the Volbeat kept alit longer to reveal the issue. From what she had encountered with humans, they would help Pokémon with such troubles.

They did as she said, diving down when she directed them to. When they got close to the smoker, the conflicting smells gave her a chaotic mess of signals. No wonder the Volbeats didn’t like it. As planned, she used Flash, which visually signaled them to do the same. The scene briefly turned brighter than noontime daylight, causing anyone nearby, not just the smoker, to try covering their eyes. Before long, a park ranger came up to the man and spoke sharply to him.

Flickering her light at normal brightness, she rose up and tried to give the signal for the rest to do the same, including the light flicker to get anyone who was still confused by the smoke. When she had the swarm back up, the ranger was taking the smoker away. She led them back to the stream, ending her round even though she hadn’t used a pattern dance.

“What was that about?” the leader of the former round asked. “That was no pattern.”

“There was a smoker in the crowd,” she said. “And, um, he was throwing off the Volbeats, so I helped them get rid of the smells.”

“But you were supposed to make a beautiful dance,” she scolded.

“No, no,” another Illumise said. “I think that was the responsible thing to do. If the smell got spread and set in, then all of our dances would have been thrown off. Good choice.”

“Yeah, that’s the kind of decision you’d want a swarm leader to make,” another said.

The one bug fumed silently, but the young one felt proud.

Sapphire entry: Volbeat’s tail glows like a lightbulb. With other Volbeat, it uses its tail to draw geometric shapes in the night sky. This Pokemon loves the sweet aroma given off by Illumise.

Illumise Emerald entry: A nocturnal Pokemon that becomes active upon nightfall. It leads a Volbeat swarm to draw patterns in the night sky. Over 200 different patterns have been confirmed.
    Pokedex OS- Still trying to capture every single Pokemon out there in words: 648/718 Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh complete!

Fluer Noir- A story of a black flower, a shameful history, and magic.

Beautiful.

Nothing like fireflies getting down and dirty!

Looks like I missed a few stories.

The Boldore and Woobat story was cool. I liked how you discribed the plates in there. I've always wondered about them. Woobat has always been an interesting Pokemon.

The Luxio were interesting, always traveling. Although, knocking an innocent Sealeo out and stealing her berries isn't very nice. Even if one was just trampled by a Mamoswine.

The Lilligant story was sad. Poor Lilligant, her poor trainer died and she's wilting. I was thinking, Lilligant was wilting before, right? I wonder if she started to wilt because of her owners suicidal behavior. That would explain it. So sad...

JIGGLYPUFF! HOW COULD I MISS JIGGLYPUFF!!?? It was a really cute story. Poor Jigglypuff, she doesn't realize people fall asleep because of her soothing voice, not cause she's boring. And you included Kirby! Yay!! I love Kirby and all his pinkishness!

The Munna and Musharna entry was sweet. I loved how much Musharna cared for his daughter. I always wondered about the Munna and Musharna Team Plasma tried to take. And I always thought that that very same Munna became Bianca's Munna. Good story!

And then Volbeat and Illumise. I always liked those two Pokemon. And I loved it when they all teamed up to get rid of that one smoker. YES! Down with cigarrettes! I've been trying to get my dad to quit.

Very nice job! Keep up the good work!
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...pynegaiday.png" width="468" height="100">

"To date, life has been a race between software companies making bigger and better idiot proof machines, and the Universe making bigger and better idiots. The Universe is winning." -Unknown

And another nice beginning that I probably won't follow up on. hah!

I'm getting through that long request list! New requests would be good.

In Process: Samurott/Bisharp
    On deck: Skarmory/Seismitoad
    Reserve: ??? (7/12)

Dialga and Palkia

The church of Hearthome was grand and elegant. Its structure allowed it to be bright and airy inside without sacrificing stability or size. Large stained glass windows and painted murals on the wall depicted many old myths, like the creation of the world by the Pokémon god Arceus. In the middle of the afternoon, it was usually visited by curious sightseers, although a few devout stayed in solitary worship. Still, it was not often that one of the Pokémon gods came into the church itself.

Especially not two of them. They had come in disguise. Somewhat. Dialga and Palkia looked much the same as they usually did, but only a foot tall like many of the small Pokémon of the world. Being that size, they had been able to get in and move around underneath the pews without being noticed as anything unusual.

“They keep this place, like, pretty nice,” Palkia said, looking up at the preacher’s area of the room.

Dialga noticed a bit of old fur clinging to the bottom of one corner of the pew. “Not entirely,” he said.

“Well it’s not fallen to ruins like other sacred buildings,” she retorted. “That’s much better than some places we’ve seen on this trip. Oh hey, lookit!” She pointed up with one of her clawed hands, twitching her wings in excitement. “That painting looks as good as ever. I still say you look all burly and no-nonsense in that one.”

He lowered his neck so that he could see the painting better, then walked up to the edge of the pew with her. “And what’s wrong with that?”

Giggling like there was some secret joke she wasn’t going to share, she said, “Nothing! Should we stick around or skip some time so we can see a service?”

Dialga considered it, then yawned. “Eh, we’ve had a long trek to get here, at this size.” His sister beamed, looking proud of herself. While it was her doing, it wouldn’t be that hard to alter sizes for someone of her ability. “I’d like to get some rest. Relax a little while. This town’s so noisy, though.”

She tapped her chin. Sometimes he was jealous of her having hands. “Hmm, relaxing would be nice. But hey, it would be nicer if we could find one of those Pokémon spa places. Wouldn’t that be great? We could convince the workers to treat us like other guests and get pampered for a while.”

“How are you going to hide the fact that we’re gods?” he asked. “Traveling around like this is one thing, but letting humans see us like this for an extended period of time isn’t good. We’re not like the Psychic ones who can fully bluff them.”

“Oh don’t be such a grumpy Gloom,” Palkia teased him. “If we get into too much trouble, we could ask those guys for assistance. Besides, those Plasma weirdos that were trying to enslave us got totally burned trying to mess with Giratina. Well not burned, per say, but he messed them up for, you know, messing with him.”

“What’s with your language today? And most of this trip?”

“I’m fitting in to this time! I talked with some Pokémon and listened to their Trainers to find out, like, how they talk now. I think it’s fun!”

“I think it’s silly,” Dialga countered.

Before their conversation could continue, a preteen girl stopped by them and dropped down onto her knees. She had black hair in pigtails and when she grinned, she showed off some silver braces. “Hi cute little Pokémon,” she said. “Whatcha doin’ down there?” She reached in to touch Dialga.

He leaned his head back, causing her to lower her hand. Someone reaching out to him was much different on this size scale. Once she seemed less threatening, he sniffed at her fingers. Pen ink, salt water taffy (lemon flavored), and Combee. Nothing too surprising for this era, but something beyond scent was surprising about her.

“Hey, bro!” Palkia said, looking up at the girl. “Somebody’s marked her aura as a potential hero!”

“I’ve noticed,” he replied as the human then tried to touch Palkia. She was more willing. “But she’s not one who was there when we were awakened. I wonder what’s in store for this one.”

“We can tag along and find out,” she suggested.

“Aren’t we supposed to be on vacation?” he asked.

Before his sister could reply, she was picked up by the human. “You two look strange,” the girl said. “You’re like the ones in the picture up there, but you’re little Pokémon, not giants. I wonder if Dad knows.” She walked over to the front of the aisle, carrying Palkia with her.

“And we’re not supposed to be noticed,” Dialga grumbled, following after. He didn’t come out in the open, not yet.

At that point, the quiet of the church was broken by a shout from a man in the back. “General Woodard!” Then the man in the black mask threw something at the girl and Palkia.

Although he doubted that girl was a General, Dialga wasn’t going to let his sister be in a dangerous position again. Causing the jewel on his chest to glow, he slowed time save for himself, the girl, and Palkia. That made the object, a dart with Murkrow feathers on the end, seem to slow down to a crawl. The girl was frozen in fear for a moment, but a little nip from Palkia got her to move out of the way. Once they were safe, Dialga let time flow naturally. The dark flew past them and embedded itself in a wooden podium. To anyone else, it would have looked as if the girl had dodged supernaturally fast.

Another man in the back got up and went to the attacker. He was middle-aged, but a powerful looking human. “What do you want?” he asked in a firm tone edged in danger.

Perplexed by the miss, the attacker glanced at the general, then rushed up the aisle. “Oo, oo, let me!” Palkia called. After a pink glow from her, the church suddenly expanded to have a center aisle that was a mile long. Thousand of pews lined the path between the attacker and his targets.

Dialga came out from his cover and walked up to them. “This is exactly why I wanted to remain inconspicuous,” he said. “I don’t want anymore trouble after that maddening mess that was the red chain.”

“But, but, aren’t you like curious now about what’s going on?” Palkia asked, still in the girl’s arms. “We’ve been hibernating for so many centuries, but now we can be involved in big things again. Maybe even make some new legends. That would be totally awesome!”

He looked over at the girl, who was perplexed by the strange events happening around her. Then he looked over at the attacker and the ‘general’ (probably the girl’s dad, now that he thought of it). If they went with this girl, there would be adventure, but there would be danger. If they carried on with their own travels, there could be relaxation, but not much of consequence.

The choice was difficult.

Dialga Diamond entry: It has the power to control time. It appears in Sinnoh-region myths as an ancient deity.

Palkia Diamond entry: It has the ability to distort space. It is described as a deity in Sinnoh-region mythology.
    Pokedex OS- Still trying to capture every single Pokemon out there in words: 648/718 Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh complete!

Ah. Dialga and Palkia, legendary Pokemon of time and space. I've always liked them. Good job with this story. I wonder who the heck the girl was though.

P.S. If I was Dialga, I'd go with the girl.

P.S.S. Can you do Cressila? She's one of my favorite Pokemon.
    Last edited by floracat; 28th June 2011 at 3:27 AM.
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...pynegaiday.png" width="468" height="100">

"To date, life has been a race between software companies making bigger and better idiot proof machines, and the Universe making bigger and better idiots. The Universe is winning." -Unknown

A nice beginning indeed. It's a shame that it won't be continued; that has great potential for an actual chapter fic.

I also found one small error:

Thousands of pews lined the path between the attacker and his targets.
    Thousand was singular instead of plural, if I guessed right at what you had intended it to be.

And since you're ready for more, I have a couple requests. =3

Sigilyph/Golett/Golurk (or Sigilyph and then Golett/Golurk, whichever works best for you), Joltik, and then Bouffalant. =3

I've actually heard a lot of theories behind Sigilyph and the Mechas, most of which involve a mysterious ancient civilization, sometimes around the time the two brothers in Unova's legends had started fighting, sometimes even farther back. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with. =3

Why does almost every fic I read treat Palkia as female?

I understand that it's pink/purple, but it doesn't look remotely feminine IMO. :/ (Then again, neither do a lot of Pokemon that can be female same with the other gender. xD)

Good story though.
    Last edited by Monster Guy; 28th June 2011 at 2:27 AM.

I found it funny how Palkia was talking like a modern teenager. An ancient deity speaking like that (while being just a foot tall) is just a very funny image.

Also, it seemed kind of strange to me that the girl didn't quite recognize Dialga and Palkia just because of the difference in their height, but it was a very original and nice story.

I'd like to request Surskit/Masquerain/Golduck and Machop/Dewott.
    FC: 2165-5528-1057
        Spoiler:- Shinies:

I love how Palkia talks like a teenager. XD That's hilarious and awesome. Excellent story.

I cried when I read the Munna and Musharna story. My parents read it and they cried too.

A Trainer with Dialga and Palkia as starters. Nice!

As someone else posted, can you write a Cresselia one in the future? Maybe add in Darkrai if you haven't already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexin' Wishes
    What I like about the Mega Evolution line is how consistently ridiculously over the top they are. I mean just from what we have: Leather Dom Houndoom, Haute Couture Banette, Debutante Gardevoir, Alternative Circuit Party Angel Absol, L'Oreal model Ampharos, Ivan Ooze Aerodactyl, Sashimi Gyarados, Tweaker Raged Pinsir, Ghandi Alakazam... I could go on but you get the gist.

I anxiously await Fierce Drag Queen Jynx.

Veneno Oscuridad - 80 Points
    A Fun Place!

A few things to note: This is my first post here in as near as makes no difference to six months and you're still going with this. It's very admirable to see the commitment to the thread and the stories haven't deteriorated at all, personally I feel they've got even better. You're getting close to the three year anniversary fo thethread and I have no doubt you'll give us an absolute gem for that. You have an amazing knack for creating a dynamic between any two characters, Pokémon or human, no matter how similar or different they may be. I also noticed you completed Six Spirit and considering how good you writing has been here I think I'm going to have to start reading it too.

I would add a request but people seem to have already beaten me to the punch so I'll wait until the list lessens a bit.

Thanks for the comments! They make me smile. About Palkia being a girl, I had both her and Dialga set up that way for PMD: Loopholes and it stuck in my mind.

I've had lots to do, but I'm working on an entry now. I'll get those requests on the list, along with one from fanfiction.net. But I realized that I hadn't done my mid-year review yet. So, here you go!

REVIEW

406/649 63%

BY GENERATION:

R/B/G/Y: 123/151 81%
    G/S/C: 78/100 78%
    R/S/E: 103/135 76%
    D/P/P: 84/107 79%
    B/W: 18/156 12%
    + Missingno

BY TYPE:

Water: 64/109 59%
    Normal: 61/97 63%
    Grass: 53/76 70%
    Flying: 51/83 61%
    Poison: 43/58 74%
    Psychic: 42/69 61%
    Bug: 36/63 57%
    Ground: 33/58 57%
    Fire: 30/50 60%
    Electric: 26/39 67%
    Rock: 25/47 53%
    Fight: 24/41 59%
    Steel: 23/38 61%
    Dark: 22/39 56%
    Ice: 21/30 70%
    Ghost: 18/27 67%
    Dragon: 18/27 67%

Special: 2/2

BY SPECIAL TYPE

Starter: 33/45 73%
    Blastoise, Charmeleon, Quilava, Torterra, Chikorita, Feraligator, Torchic, Turtwig, Mudkip, Totodile, Croconaw, Squirtle, Grotle, Treecko, Meganium, Typhlosion, Cyndaquil, Charizard, Bayleef, Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Blaziken, Piplup, Empoleon, Chimchar, Charmander, Venusaur, Wartortle, Swampert, Infernape, Grovyle, Combusken, Snivy

Legend: 28/44 64%
    Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Shaymin, Manaphy, Giratina, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, Mewtwo, Mew, Arceus, Uxie, Azelf, Mespirit, Registeel, Regirock, Regice, Latias, Ho-oh, Lugia, Meloetta, Genesect, Dialga, Palkia

???/Shadow: 1
    Mankey

Shiny: 7
    Magikarp, Sunflora/Sunkern, Fearow, Gyarados, Stantler, Glameow

Fossil: 8/17 47%
    Aerodactyl, Cradily, Shieldon, Bastiodon, Rampardos, Lileep, Kabutops, Armaldo

Guests: 13
    JammyU, Kutie Pie, darkdragontamer (2), #Chimecho# (2), elrade, shiningsloth13 (2)
    Regigigas, Staryu, Starmie, Bannette, Sandshrew, Ponyta, Barboach, Swellow, Absol, Kadabra, Lucario, Arceus, Darkrai, Bastiodon, Anorith, Golem (not counted in other totals)

HUMANS (this category may be off; I don’t track them as closely)

In-game Trainers
    Bug Catcher, Channeler, Lass, Battle Girl, Fisherman, Ninja Boy, Campers, Hiker, Teacher, Scientist, Swimmer, School Kid (male and female), Veteran, Reporter, Cameraman

In-game Characters
    Bruno, Steven, Giovanni, Silver, Professor Elm (2), Brawly, Lt. Surge, Gary Oak/Red (2), Koga, Janine, Professor Rowan (2), Lucas (2), Aaron, Blue, Professor Oak, Warden Slowpoke, Sabrina, Erica, Misty, Daycare lady, Daycare man, Blaine, Bianca, Hilbert

Other Characters
    Ashton (Star Ocean 2), Mindy (Animaniacs), Tom and Huck (M. Twain), Sinbad (Arabian Nights), Rosa (Little Red Riding Hood), Kirby

COMMENTS

Well, every type is above fifty percent now! It makes the fifth gen's completion rating stand out all the more, but that's to be expected. And percentage wise, Kanto, Poison, Grass, and Ice are furthest along, while Hoenn, Rock, and Dark are lagging. Fossils are also rather behind based on percentage, but there's not many of them.

My calculator tells me that 432 is when I'll be two-thirds done. And the anniversary story, that's gonna be fun!

The Poison-type is probably so far along due to all the times I requested stuff like Arbok/Weezing and Ekans/Koffing. As for the shiny part, I believe you left one out. In that Machamp/Roselia story, you had slipped in a shiny Purugly. Or does the shiny thing just count shinies that are the main focus of the story?

In any case, I'd like to request a Zigzagoon/Garbodor story.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 11 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Been neglecting this for a while. But I'm here on time for the third year anniversary of the thread! Yay! So three years to get nearly two-thirds done with the Pokedex. Probably means this'll take me another year and a half at least.

But I wonder which generation's going to finish first...

@Missingno Master: The shiny thing only counts for the stars. And yes, I do realize that you're the reason for Poison's progress. But you're a longtime fan, so that's good.

And now for the anniversary story... I've been playing a lot of Final Fantasy lately, and it shows.

In Process: Skarmory/Seismitoad
    On Deck: Cresselia, Sigilyph/Golett/Golurk, Joltik, Bouffalant, Surskit/Masquerain/Golduck, Machop/Dewott, Timburr/Conkledurr, Zigzagoon/Garbador

Bisharp, Samurott, Gothitelle, and Audino

She was knocked to the ground, barely hanging on to awareness. Her opponent, another Bisharp, clenched his fist and pointed his claw-blade upward. Foolish. He thought it was victory, but she wasn’t fully out yet. And if he kept being too quick on the call, then he was going to destroy the clan.

After shifting her position, she sprang back onto her feet, attacking him in the side as she did. The Pawniard that had been watching gave calls of shock and admiration. It seemed like she would faint, but the female Bisharp remained determined to continue. “There is danger hanging over us,” she repeated, although it was painful to talk. “You’re going to lead us all into ruin.”

Angered, he slashed his hand blade at her, which she blocked with her own. Sparks flew from the impact. “You’ve been inciting panic for no reason,” he said. “I am going to lead us to domination of the plains.” He kicked her to knock her off-balance, then added, “But you will not be among us.” Then he slashed at her head, fully defeating her.

The clan of Pawniard had previously followed the female, and most of them had liked her. But on seeing this victory, they quickly changed loyalty. Saluting, various members of the group called out, “Chief! Great victory, Chief. You’re the strong one, Chief.” They all hoped to be strong someday, and they would follow the strongest Bisharp around.

As the new Chief, he smirked at the young ones. He’d make sure they couldn’t challenge his authority as he had done to his predecessor. “Right. Let’s go; I have big plans for the clan.”

And so they left the female Bisharp unconscious in the middle of the grassy plains. There were any number of scavengers out there who might try to kill her for food, but the clan didn’t care. As she had lost, she was weak. Although, some remembered her last minute stand and wondered if she couldn’t be strong even though she had lost.

Some distance from the location of the battle, a ripple in the taller grasses started. Another Pokémon was rushing towards her. “That was foolish,” he said. “She was right about the danger.”

-+-

On the northern edge of the grassy plains, there was a wide river that separated them from a forest. On the south bank, there was a meeting of various Pokémon of the plains. They were arguing. “It’s not over the plains,” a Zebstrika said. “It won’t affect us.”

“But it’s not natural,” a Sawsbuck argued. “It’s a omen and a very bad one at that. We need to get ready.”

“For what?”

“For whatever’s going to come from it.”

“It’s just a light,” a Unfezant said. “Why should we worry?”

“It feels like hatred towards the whole world,” a Gothitelle spoke up, the first thing she’d said for the whole meeting. “It’s a harbinger of doom. If we wait until the danger comes to us, it will already be too late.”

“You lot are just trying to scare everybody!” a Whismicott said. “It’s just a weird light in the sky, nothing more.” A chorus of voices agreed, while others disagreed.

Sighing, the Gothitelle turned away, considered leaving before a fight broke out. The air was tense and anxious. No one was certain what it was, but it had appeared a few nights ago. Off to the northwest after the sun had gone down fully, a strange light would appear in the black night sky. It was an oval ring, something that might appear to be a circle when one was fully under it. It had first appeared as a kind of pink, but was slowly turning red. Sometimes, a shaft of light would appear under it to touch the ground somewhere far away. And it stayed until the light of dawn began to color the sky. No one was certain what it was, but she could feel its dark power even from here.

And then the whole area went quiet. Wondering what could defuse this crowd, she looked back and saw that he had come. Michael the Samurott lived in the river and was the undisputed boss of the water. Droplets remained on the bone sword over his head and the sharp-edged armor on his legs. While he had to shuffle across the land, he still intimidated the plains Pokémon who encountered him on the river shore.

Glaring around at the group, the Samurott effortlessly took control of the meeting. “Your arguing is disrupting us,” he said with a slight hint of a growl. “What is all this fuss about?”

Everyone else stepped back, nervous about angering the river lord. The Gothitelle turned back and approached him. Someone had to do it. “Lord Michael, I apologize for them,” she said. “This started out as a discussion of the strange red light that has appeared in the northwestern sky, what it means and what we should do about it. Some say that it is an omen and some say that it is not over us, so it will not affect us.”

He snorted. “So what is it?” he asked.

“No one in the plains seems to know,” she said. She watched how he moved, ready to run if he attacked. Sometimes he was reasonable, but if he was angered enough about the disruption of the river Pokémon, he could do anything.

“Then a group should go out there and find out what it is,” he pointed out. “But you land dwellers would rather argue about it endlessly, right? Who among you would dare leave the plains to find out about this light in the sky?”

“I would go,” the Gothitelle decided. “I have felt a strong emotion that I think is connected, but I should go confirm it. It is like nothing else I have felt, save for hate.”

“Good for you,” he said gruffly, like he hadn’t expected it. “And the rest of you?”

She looked to the rest there, but it was quiet. Not that it surprised her. Most of them were only concerned about what happened in the plains and keeping up with the political game of power. As they bickered with each other so much, it was surprising that no outsider group had come in and conquered them all to start towns and civilizations, like in other areas.

The Samurott lowered his head, putting his sword closer to the rest of them. “I didn’t think so. On the other hand, I need to determine if this thing is a sign of danger to my river. So I am going to the northwest too. You there, girl, come with me. We may as well travel together.”

“Thank you, Lord Michael,” she said. She really was grateful. While confident in her powers, the strong hate that she felt from the light might affect her as she got closer to its source. Traveling with another would be safer.

When they were out of the crowd enough, the Samurott replied, “You’re welcome, but I would prefer to travel with the river as long as we can. There’s a branch stream that heads in the right direction, I believe. What’s your name?”

“Irene, sir. I shall be fine walking by the waters.”

-+-

Night had fallen by the time she awoke. The Bisharp felt some aches in her muscles, but surprisingly, that was it. With as badly as she had been beaten, she should still be in pain from the deeper wounds. And they would have abandoned her, so she was lucky to even be alive. Instead of feeling terrible, she felt refreshed and full of energy.

She sat up, wondering what had happened. When she looked to the northeast, she saw it again, that ring of red light. That was something one saw in nightmares and it seemed to get worse every night. And in her dreams since she’d seen it… in her nightmares… it heralded the appearance of powerful demons that would raze the plains, the river, the forest, the mountains, eventually the whole world. The time to take them out would be now, when their powers were weak.

By the rustling of the grass and pattering of feet, she could tell that a bipedal Pokémon was hurrying her way. The Bisharp brought her right arm up. While she could take on a fight now, her blades needed sharpening sometime tonight. From the sound of the paws, it wasn’t one of her clan. A foe or friend?

A pink furred Pokémon emerged from the thick grass, curly hairs bouncing along. A damp pouch was in its forepaws. Smiling, he bowed to show that he meant no harm. “Great, you’re awake! I went to go fetch some water for you. Here.” He passed over the pouch.

For a moment, she looked into his face. He seemed to mean well, so she nodded and took it. “Thank you, stranger. Did you heal me?”

He nodded. “Of course; it is the way of the Audino. I am Colin. Sorry, but I’m not sure of what the plains Pokémon are; I’m just traveling through.”

After finishing off the water pouch, she handed it back. “I am one of the Bisharp, Dagger. I am grateful for your help, but I must be going.” She started off through the grass.

Colin followed after her. “Are you going to find out what’s under the red light in the sky?”

Stopping, she turned and nearly ran into him. Fortunately, he stopped before he collided into her bladed body. “How do you know that?”

He tapped his ears, which were surrounded by the long curly hair. “I overheard you and the other Bisharp in battle. And, I agree. That light means danger for all of us.” His expression saddened. “On the winds from the north, I could hear the cries of things not of this world. The closer I get, the better I can hear them, although even from here, it is but a faint sound. But it is the sound of a song of destruction.”

“So you agree,” Dagger said, touching one hand to her chest. “The light of it gives me nightmares. My clan may have abandoned me, but I will not abandon them. I go to keep this land safe for them.”

“May I come with you?” the Audino asked. “I had to see this for myself, but if I get much closer to where I can hear it clearer, it may effect my concentration in battle. But, I can heal, and that would be valuable to you, right?”

“It would.” She shifted her right hand blades to a less threatening position, then offered it. “Then we shall go together.”

Colin smiled and they shook on it. “Right. We’ll find out what we can do.”

-+-

Irene and Michael moved east by the river. Sometimes other Pokmeon mistook the Gothitelle for being a lone traveler. If her powers didn’t scare them off, then Michael’s quick strikes with his sword, nearly always knocking out one enemy, would. The whole time, the strange red ring of light was in the sky, sometimes reaching down to the ground, but most times not.

At one time while one group was fleeing, another group of Pokémon came in. But they were different; Irene could tell because they emitted feelings of wanting to speak with them, not fight. She held a hand up to keep the Samurott from attacking the pair that emerged from the grasses. An Audino and a Bisharp. “You seem to be looking for us,” the Gothitelle said.

The Bisharp looked wary, but the Audino just waved. “Yes, that’s it,” he said. “I overheard you a little bit ago.”

“He does that a lot,” the Bisharp said. She seemed to be uncertain of how. “We were so far away, though.”

“You were going to check out the red light in the night sky, like us,” the Audino said. “We may as well form a larger group instead of partners, then.”

“Good to know not everyone is ignorant,” Michael said, in his usual gruff way. “But we’d better not lose time.”

-+-

It took until the next night, but the four travelers found the site where the ring of light was situation. It hung ominously in the sky, blocking out the stars and casting a hellish aura around the countryside. Now that they were close, they could see that the ring was constantly changing. Symbols inside it shifted and moved in ways that none of them could translate.

The Gothitelle stood in a clear spot under the sky ring, clasping her hands together in front of her neck. The black cones of her body shifted as she swayed, focusing her mind on understanding the mystery. All around Irene, black mists with twinkling star-like dots held in strange patterns. It was like a scrap of the night sky, but not as they knew it.

Nearby, the Audino was concentrating too. His ears twitched often; his body occasionally trembled. While she used her mind, he used his sensitive ears to listen to the spirits of the area. Even before they had starting searching out the truth, Colin had said that this place sounded like both tormentor and tormented. He was clearly stretching his courage to remain under the ring.

While they studied, the other two Pokemon watched for interruptions or enemies. The Bisharp and the Samurott had initially been leery of each other. Michael had seen the Pawniard and Bisharp clan as troublemakers who disrupted the river waters often. Dagger had seen the Samurott as being too territorial, attacking her kin even when they were only near the river. However, both felt that the potential for danger here was too great. They would have to cooperate.

“This is a place where demons were called,” Colin said, moving closer to Michael. “It does not sound like the one who called them is here right now, nor are the demons. But power is still being channeled through the ring.”

“Seventeen demons of the elements were called,” Irene added, sounding worn out as the black mists around her faded. “They will overtake the lands and corrupt them so that their master can rule over all. At the moment, the demons are not fully powered; that is why the ring remains. Now would be the time to defeat them, but we may be the only ones who realize what this danger is.”

“We ought to do something about it, then,” Colin said. “The three of you will, right? It’s the right thing to do. I may not be able to do it on my own, but I will do what’s right.”

“I would agree if we keep working as a group,” Irene said. “We seem to work together well.”

On hearing that, the Samurott and Bisharp looked at each other. True, there hadn’t been trouble so far. But... Dagger put her right hand on her chest and bowed her head. “I was abandoned by my clan, but I will not abandon them to this danger. Michael, I know our groups have fought before; I am willing to try working with you now.”

He looked at her sharply for a while longer, then nodded. “Fine. You’ve not caused trouble, and these demons would cause far more trouble than any of your kin have caused me. Can we tell where those demons went?”

And thus began the great legend of the Warriors of Light, seeking to destroy the demons which would destroy the world.

Samurott Black entry: One swing of the sword incorporated in its armor can fell an opponent. A simple glare from one of them quiets everyone.

Bisharp Black entry: It leads a group of Pawniard. It battles to become the boss, but will be driven from the group if it loses.

Audino White entry: Its auditory sense is astounding. It has a radarlike ability to understand its surroundings through slight sounds.

Gothitelle Black entry: Starry skies thousands of light-years away are visible in the space distorted by their intense psychic power.
    Last edited by Ysavvryl; 12th July 2011 at 11:25 PM.

Wow, this was worth the long wait. I really liked the whole idea, the four travelers going on a quest to stop demons. I especially like Samurott, and it's attitude. All in all, great story!

ha ha very nice you put a smile on my face
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122
    "Diancie is a good Pokemon because it can take a Water Pulse from Siebold's Clawitzer, so everyone stop whining about it." Some casual player on Miiverse 2014.

Minor grammatical errors first:

Quote Originally Posted by Ysavvryl View Post
    “But it’s not natural,” a Sawsbuck argued. “It’s a omen and a very bad one at that. We need to get ready.”
    This should be an.

“It’s just a light,” a Unfezant said. “Why should we worry?”
    I would consider this to be an an because it comes before a vowel sound but because it's a Pokémon's name I consider it to be the your prerogative as the writer here.

“I had to see this for myself, but if I get much closer to where I can hear it clearer, it may effect my concentration in battle.
    This should be affect.

Now that that’s out of the way I can tell you how much I was captivated by that story. The dialogue between the Pokémon, the fight scene at the beginning, the way you capture emotions of the characters and the way you kept making me wonder about that light. I do wish these stories didn’t end because I always start getting into them, wondering what the next step will be for the Pokémon concerned and then it ends. Still, One-Shots are One-Shots and they don’t get much better than these.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Cold Marowak Guy View Post
    Because gen. 6 will have 126 Pokemon exactly, and show up near May 24, 2016 (give or take 3 weeks).

Why do I get a Final Fantasy vibe coming off of this? especially the demons of various elements. and the one healer, one non-physical attacker, and two warriors. come to think of it, most of this has a sort of ring to it that reminds me of that... especially characters. A king, setting out to find what is going on with the world, and to protect his people? a bystander, concerned about a mysterious occurence? a defeated cheiften of a clan of warriors? a far-ranging traveller? all could be drawn parallel to at least one FF character.
    "Nothing is impossible- The word itself says, 'I'm possible!'"- Audrey Hepburn

One crazy trip: The adventures of a beret-clad boy and his best friend the sky. One day I will learn how to forum-format at a decent speed. Promise.

I just found this thread and decided to read the Flygon one. It was very sad. I'm gonna go read some others and see what I think. You're a very talented author.

Also, I would absolutely love to see one about Volcarona.

^ Click this for good times ^

I absolutely LOVE these one-shots! Can I submita Yamask/Sandile one? Thanks!

I'll add those requests, but you'll be waiting a while.

The Skarmory totally took over this story. I started it thinking that it would be about something else, and then this happened.

In process: Cresselia
    On Deck: Sigilyph/Golett/Golurk, Joltik, Bouffalant, Surskit/Masquerain/Golduck, Machop/Dewott, Timburr/Conkledurr, Zigzagoon/Garbador, Volcarona, Yamask/Sandile

Seismitoad and Skarmory

The marsh was a quiet place where not much happened. At one time, Seismitoad had to fight for his position as leader and keep Pokémon from the nearby wetlands from invading. But that had been a long time ago. Now that they knew of his power, others didn’t challenge his authority. It helped that he kept things peaceful, negotiating arguments, punishing troublemakers, and dealing personally with problems. But the peace was, well, boring.

That afternoon, he was sitting on an old stump watching over his domain. The young Pokémon were playing and wrestling with each other, nothing to be concerned about. Seismitoad periodically hit the sides of his fists together, making the bumps there vibrate. It gave off a deep drumming sound which could be heard even outside his marsh. When others heard it, they knew that he was watching.

Although really, he was bored. He considered starting up a tournament for the marsh’s Pokémon to participate in. There really wasn’t much to do and that would satisfy more Pokémon than just himself. But what should it be a competition of? Battling was the first thing in mind, but that would give a clear advantage to himself and any evolved Pokémon. Rock busting? The thing was, he was better than that then anyone else in the marsh, as he could vibrate the bumps all over his body and demolish any boulder he could punch or tackle. Maybe a tug of war? But splitting the marsh’s Pokémon into two groups struck him as a bad idea. It might go beyond a friendly competition. Small teams might be okay provided he made sure that it stayed civil. Team battles? That would even things out, especially if the teams had to be approved by himself first. Or assigned…

A silver blur passed through the air, giving him pause. What was that Pokemon doing flying that close to ground level? Seismitoad waited to see if it would pass through again. Instead, a massive clamor filled the air as it crashed into a large tree. It struck him as the expected result of the dumb decision to fly so low and fast, save for the volume of the accident. But, it wasn’t like he was doing anything important today. He got up and went over to the tree.

The tree itself was a goner; a spray of tan splinters stood up from the stump, with some bent back and still attached to the main trunk. Something like that should have taken the impact of a flier readily. However, the Pokémon that was right in front of the tree seem to be made of metal. Its silver and blue steel feathers were bent near his head, but otherwise unharmed from the impact. The Skarmory itself was struggling clumsily onto his feet.

A heavy Steel-type that flew? It was tough to imagine; Seismitoad had heard of Skarmories before, but had always thought that their actual metal was limited. Not covering its body. “That sounded painful,” Seismitoad said.

Spreading a wing out towards the splintered stump, Skarmory replied, “It jumped out at me, I swear! Arrest this foul tree.”

He looked at it. While there were some tree-like Pokémon, this clearly was not one of them. “It’s a tree,” he said.

“That’s what they want you to think,” the Skarmory hissed. “It looks like a tree but is in fact a foul tree, part of a secret cabal of insidious plant life that is looking to take over the world. If you’re walking, they lift up their roots to trip you. If you’re flying, they jump in your way to make you crash. You’d better do a thorough check of the trees around here and make sure there aren’t more foul trees around. You know them by how many ‘accidents’ happen around them, and the blood-thirsty aura they emit. Eventually, they will kill and replace us all.”

Hmm, a crazy Pokémon visitor. That was certainly different. “At least you defeated that one,” he said going along for fun.

He closed his wings to sit at his sides and checked on the brown bag he was carrying. “Yes, but it was very close. If I hadn’t been blessed with my natural armor, it would have defeated me instead. I was on my way to deliver vital messages to the fighters who are looking to break up this foul tree cabal. You ought to join us; it could save your home, family, and friends in the end.”

Looking at the bag, Seismitoad recognized a human symbol. This Skarmory worked for the human’s postal office, delivering letters. As far as he knew, it was a public service, not an organization for fighting conspiracies. “I’ll consider it,” he said. “Were you going to Iccirrus? It’s not too far from here, just southeast along that path.” He pointed out the way that the humans kept clear.

“Yes, exactly there,” the Skarmory said. “Thank you, good sir. I will bring back a pamphlet for you if I can smuggle it past the foul trees that must be hiding through those woods. They hate paper products, as you can imagine. Keep alert and remember, check out all the trees.” He then started running off down the path to town.

“You be careful!” Seismitoad called. Foul trees… how silly. He went back to his log and considered how to arrange his group battle tourney to entertain everyone.

Two weeks later, the foul trees attacked.

Skarmory D/P/Pt/B/W entry: Despite being clad entirely in iron-hard armor, it flies at speeds over 180 mph.

Seismitoad White entry: It increases the power of its punches by vibrating the bumps on its fists. It can turn a boulder to rubble with one punch.

wow these are great! ive been reading these a while and i always think there are great
    could i suggest a Sawsbuck/Zebstrika story?
    Your signature contained images that were too large. Read the rules before you add anything new

Ha ha ha! I freakin' LOVED this story! You made it look like Skarmory was an insane, loony bird. I love the crazies. And the the foul trees attacked! Oh that was too good! Keep up the good work!

Page 43 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast