Page 23 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokedex One-Shots (PG)

Can I request a Silcoon/Beautifly/Dustox entry?

Join Hachiko's PokeKingdom today!

*Credit to Lucina Archaelis of Subspace Generate Graphics for banner

We have a new guest writer coming up! Elrade has written an interesting story that I think you'll like.

I won't take the Silcoon part of that request, cause I added it to this one. Yes, it's another four-entry story! I'm not sure where all the randomness of it came from, but I like it lots. As for Steelix, it's another one that I'm stuck on. I'll probably be looking into linking it with Onix.

And with these four... I have a third of the Pokedex covered!

Guest: Elrade with Arceus/Darkrai.
    In Process: Steelix
    On Deck: Arbok/Weezing, Tangla/Tangrowth, Growlithe/Arcanine, Burmy/Wormadam/Mothim, Beautifly/Dustox
    Reserve: Gastly/Haunter (6/21)

METAPOD
    Emerald entry: Its shell is as hard as an iron slab. A Metapod does not move very much because it is preparing its soft innards for evolution inside the shell.

KAKUNA
    Kakuna Emerald entry: It remains virtually immobile while it clings to a tree. However, on the inside, it busily prepares for evolution. This is evident from how hot its shell becomes.

SILCOON
    Sapphire entry: Silcoon was thought to endure hunger and not consume anything before its evolution. However, it is now thought that this Pokemon slakes its thirst by drinking rainwater that collects on its silk.

CASCOON
    Sapphire entry: If it is attacked, Cascoon remains motionless however badly it may be hurt. It does so because if it were to move, its body would be weak upon evolution. This Pokemon will also not forget the pain it endured.

A bundle of white silk lay on a broad yellow-green leaf. A string of silk was wrapped around the leaf’s stem to make sure it was securely on the tree. While the bundle was mostly still, a small crack blinked open, revealing a red eye. Good, this evolution was complete. But this was far from the time to relax. She had to complete her new body before she could evolve into it. The new Silcoon turned her attention inward. But not for long.

“Hey newcomer!”

She opened her eyehole back up to look at a bundle of purple silk on a nearby leaf. A Cascoon, a male from the sound of the voice. “Hello.”

“Who are you to call her a newcomer?” a third voice added. This came from a brown husk clinging to the nearest branch. From the triangular head shape and body plating, Silcoon knew she was a Kakuna. “You just evolved this morning.”

“Well she’s newer than me, so I’m no longer the newcomer,” Cascoon retorted.

“The more, the merrier,” a fourth voice said, accompanied by a wobbling of Cascoon’s leaf. Tied under the branch was a green pod. He was a Metapod.

“Hey, watch it!” Cascoon complained. “You could knock my leaf off the tree.”

“Oh, sorry.” He stopped bounding.

Silcoon watched her neighbors curiously. “Um, Cascoon, did I know you before? Your voice sounds familiar.”

“Does it? I guess you sound familiar too.” His red eye twitched in looking over her. “Say, are you that cute Wurmple chick who I met while stacking acorns?”

“Yeah, you’re the weird Wurmple guy who was trying to make a replica of the Leaning Tower of Pisa out of acorns. That was never going to work.”

“Ooo, zinged,” Kakuna commented.

“It would’ve worked if it hadn’t kept falling over!” Cascoon insisted. “When I evolve again, I’ll find a way to make it work.”

“Yeah, you can do it!” Metapod cheered. Then he began singing, “Don’t worry.... be happy!”

“That’s the tenth time you’ve sung that today,” Cascoon said. “It’s getting annoying.”

“Twelfth, actually,” Kakuna corrected. “I’ve been here all day with him.”

Metapod blinked, looking sad. “But I was just trying to help, lighten the mood and all.”

“We all have to be working on our next evolution,” the brown Bug pointed out. “It doesn’t help when you keep distracting us every few minutes.”

“It’s not like we have to hurry,” Metapod replied. “It’ll be another five months before spring, when we can come out.”

“Do you know how long it will take to make your new body?”

There was a long pause before he answered. “No.”

“So get to work already.”

“Wait a minute,” Cascoon said, his voice a bit panicky. “FIVE MONTHS? I can’t move from this spot or I’ll ruin the rest of my life! How am I supposed to get anything to drink?”

“You don’t have to worry about food if you pigged out as much as I did,” Metapod answered.

“I’m not asking about food. I want to know about water! I’m not thirsty now, but I will be.”

“It should be okay,” Silcoon said. “Dew gathers every morning and, if I heard it right, it’ll slide along the silk and be available to drink when you need it.”

He looked down, a bit embarrassed. “Oh right, I should have figured. Dew and rain huh? What happens if it gets cold? I heard from a Gloom that it’ll all be snow and ice then.”

“This process produces enough heat to keep ice from coating us,” Kakuna answered.

“How do you know that?”

“I kept warm and toasty during last night’s chill. And my Beedrill elders told me not to worry. Nature has everything sorted out for us, so we just have to sit here and work on ourselves.”

“It’s a lot of work to do, though.”

“We’ve got five months. Don’t worry...”

“DON’T START SINGING THAT SONG AGAIN!”

Below his stem, Metapod whimpered.

Silcoon thought about it, feeling bad for the green Pokemon. “You know, if we’re going to be neighbors for that long, you ought to be nice to him.”

Cascoon made an exaggerated sigh. “Don’t remind me. I’d rather think about how to make my tower of acorns work.”

“Maybe if you stuck some needles or sticks in them to hold them together,” Kakuna suggested.

“How am I supposed to stick needles in acorns?”

“You’ll be stronger when you evolve, right?”

“I know!” Metapod called. “You need some Gorilla Glue! That stuff is the strongest adhesive ever made.”

“You know the word ‘adhesive’?” Cascoon said snidely.

Ignoring him, Metapod went on. “Once you stick something with it to something else, it never comes off. My brother once got stuck to a tetherball with some Gorilla Glue.” He closed his eyes. “Poor kid.”

“Sorry to hear that he died,” Silcoon said softly.

“Oh no, he didn’t die. Nurse Joy had to cut him off of the tetherball’s skin, but now he has bits of red vinyl permanently stuck to his underside. It wasn’t easy for him to walk.” He paused. “I wonder if he’ll still have the vinyl bits when he’s a Butterfree.”

“Uh-huh,” Cascoon said. “He’s certainly your brother.”

The branch they were all attached to shuddered. They went silent. After some stillness, the shaking continued. Silcoon and Cascoon had both latched their leaves to the branch; Kakuna and Metapod seemed equally secured. A purple Rattata soon appeared, walking along the branch. Every few steps, he sniffed at it.

“Gotta be something,” he muttered. He put a paw on Kakuna, but rapidly snatched it back. “Ouch! What’s with the heat?”

“Sorry,” she replied. “Don’t go stepping on me next time.”

He snorted. “Well if you didn’t look like part of the branch, I wouldn’t have stepped on you.” He stepped over Kakuna, then sniffed at Metapod. “Finally.” He bit him.

And immediately squealed in pain. “Buzz off!” Metapod shouted. “We Bugs don’t need the likes of you around here.”

Rattata growled. “You nut! I nearly chipped my tooth on you!”

“Well, you did bite him,” Silcoon pointed out.

“If you’re gonna try eating us, just know that I have Poison Sting!” Cascoon shouted.

“As do I,” Silcoon added.

“Me too,” Kakuna said, scratching her claw against another to make a rasping noise.

“Sorry about making a mistake,” Rattata replied with a sneer. “I usually don’t make my lunch of things that talk back.” He then jumped off the branch, making it quiver harder.

“I can Tackle,” Metapod said, trying to sound helpful.

“Your shell is probably enough to deter most threats,” Silcoon said.

“Then nobody will mess with us!” He took a deep breath and started singing while swinging on the branch. “Everywhere we go, people wanna know...”

“For goodness sakes,” Cascoon grumbled.

“Who we are, and we tell them...”

“At least it’s a different song,” Kakuna replied, barely hiding a giggle.

“We are tigers! Mighty mighty tigers!”

Cascoon’s eye slit narrowed. “I swear, when we evolve, I’m gonna make you suffer for every moment of annoyance you’ve given me! And I’ll remember all of them, have no doubt. Now stop shaking my leaf!”

“Oops.” Metapod slowed his swing to a stop. “Sorry, I just got excited.”

“At least we won’t get bored in the next five months,” Silcoon said.

“Don’t remind me.”

-+-

A year later, as autumn once again descended on the forest, a Beautifly came upon a Dustox and a Beedrill examining a pile of scattered acorns. “I’m telling you, you need some needles to pin them together.”

“You’re just obsessed with needles,” Dustox retorted.

“Oh hi,” Beautifly said. “You guys were my neighbors last winter.”

“Hi,” Beedrill replied with a salute from her long needle. “It’s been a while. How’ve you been?”

“Great. How about you?”

“I’m fine, but he’s still thick-headed.”

“Hey!” He shook his head, then said, “Have you seen that crazy Butterfree around? We haven’t and I was wondering about him the other day.”

“You miss him?”

“No! I was just wondering, that’s all.”

A sing-song voice broke through the trees. “We are tigers! Mighty mighty tigers!”

“I guess that answers that,” Dustox said. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I don’t want him to know that I’m around.”

“Oh my gosh, Dustox! Beedrill! Beautifly” Butterfree squealed happily as he came into the clearing. “It seems like it’s been for-ev-er!”

“I wish it was,” Dustox grumbled under his breath.
    Pokedex OS- Still trying to capture every single Pokemon out there in words: 648/718 Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh complete!

Fluer Noir- A story of a black flower, a shameful history, and magic.

That was pretty good. Metapod was amusing!
    Can't wait for the burmy one..........

heh. I like that one. That was pretty good. I like how Cascoon kept getting annoyed by Metapod.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Woo, my first on! It's based on the Book of Genesis. Y'know, from the Bible! Apparently, Cynthia and Cyrus were both named after the first humans. Oh, and it's about the clash between Arceus and Darkrai.

Arceus' Platinum entry: It is said to have emerged from an egg in a place where there was nothing, then shaped the world.
    Darkrai's Pearl entry: Folklore has it that on moonless nights, this Pokémon will make people see horrific nightmares.

Genesis 1:1-21
    1 In the beginning, there was nothing but a swirling void. In the middle of that void was an egg.
    2 The egg, filled with unimaginable energies, was about to hatch. Within this egg were the energies of light and darkness, with a being separating these two primordial essences.
    3 The being then summoned up its strength, cracking the shell into two neat halves, which formed two more entities; an entity of pure light, and an entity of pure darkness.
    4 The first being was the Original One, Arceus. And He called the being of light Cresselia, and she was good. He named the being of darkness Darkrai, and he was good.
    5 Arceus then created three more beings: a being of time, a being of space, and a being of spirit. The being of time was called Dialga; the being of space, Palkia; and the being of spirit, Giratina. Time and space began to form, and the essence of life flowed through this universe. And it was good.
    6 Arceus then crafted three more beings; a being of knowledge, Uxie; a being of emotions, Mesprit; and a being of willpower, Azelf. And it was good.
    7 Arceus created more beings, and three of them, Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza, shaped a world that would be the center of the universe. Arceus looked at this world, and He said, “Let this planet be the home of a race of beings crafted in our image.”
    8 The many Shaymin filled the continents with plants, and Manaphy and his Phione followers crafted the first ocean life, the original Water Pokémon.
    9 Regigigas’ followers, Regice, Regirock, and Registeel started to craft beings on the land in many forms; these were the first Pokémon that walked upon the land, while Lugia and Ho-Oh created the first Pokémon that soared in the sky. Arceus then looked upon this, his creation, and He said that it was good.
    10 Finally, Arceus himself used his thousand arms to craft a different sort of being from clay. He was tall and strong, with black hair and a kind visage. Arceus smiled at this, his finest creation; man. He named the man Cyrus.
    11 For years, Arceus and His court watched Cyrus interact with his Pokémon friends. Yet, as the Pokémon prospered with their mates and children, Cyrus lived alone, with no others of his kind. Arceus, feeling sorry for the lonely man, decided to craft a mate for him while he slept.
    12 Arceus took a rib from Cyrus in his slumber, and created a lovely creature, as beautiful as the lovely sunset with long red hair. Her name was Cynthia, and she was the first woman.
    13 Arceus commanded the two to take dominion over all the species of Pokémon, but told them not to take fruit from the great tree in the center of the land. They obeyed.
    14 Meanwhile, Darkrai had other plans. Secretly, he plotted a scheme that would overthrow Arceus himself, so he could become the ruler of the universe.
    15 However, Arceus’ most trusted son, Giratina heard of this scheme, and battled Darkrai. Their battle raged in the heavens above the world, terrifying the Pokémon both celestial and earthly, as well as the humans.
    16 Eventually, Arceus discovered this battle. Darkrai lied, and told the Original One that Giratina was planning betrayal. Arceus believed his most trusted advisor over his most trusted son, and banished Giratina to another dimension.
    17 It was then that Darkrai’s plan came into fruition. In the form of an Arbok, he met with Cynthia, and tempted her to eat of the tree of knowledge. She did, and she shared with Cyrus. The two then saw revalations, and clothed themselves with leaves from a Figy berry bush.
    18 Arceus, enraged, then appeared before the two. Again, Darkrai lied, and told Arceus that he had attempted to stop the two humans, and once again went unpunished. Arceus penalized the two humans by making them mortal.
    19 Cyrus and Cynthia watched as the landmass split apart, pulled from different ends by Regigigas and his followers. A great mountain arose where the tree of knowledge once lay. This was Mount Coronet.
    20 In the heavens, The final part of Darkrai’s plan succeeded; he lulled Arceus into an eternal sleep, and the Original One was plagued by nightmares which drained his life force and power, giving them to his treacherous adviser.
    21 At that moment, Dialga and Palkia avenged their brother, casting Darkrai down from the heavens into Earth, where he wanders to this day, collecting souls from unwary people and Pokémon, both the innocent and the sinners, and humans and Pokémon suffer, their paradise lost forever, all due to the machinations of the Nightmare King.

great stories! the cocoon pokemon one was pretty funny. lol, i woulve gone crazy with that metapod singing every day.

the darkrai ana arceus one was great. it had a "bibley" feel to it, which was what you were going for, so great job. its also sort of cool to see your take on all the legendaries and forming the universe and the world.
    Done with Serebiiforums. Don't try contacting me. Me posting will be a very rare occasion.

Elrade I must say.....that was AWESOME! I especially liked the choice of Cyrus and Cynthia being the first humans, and the explanation about Giratina's banishment.

And that Metapod in the other story reminded me of...well...me!

Can't wait for the Tangrowth and Tangela one!
    I have claimed Jynx!

Please click!

Tremble at the adorability of BABY TANGROWTH! Created by the incredibly skilled 705030!

Excellent job, Elrade. I love how you tied several Pokemon myths to Genesis, and the Cyrus/Cynthia connection. ^_^

As for the cocoons, they made me giggle. I wouldn't have thought that four Pokemon that do almost nothing would make for such a quality story, but they did. LOL Metapod XD

A couple of slight needs for punctuation:
    Dew and rain huh?
    Needs a comma.

“Oh my gosh, Dustox! Beedrill! Beautifly”
    Should be another exclamation mark after Beautifly.
    FF.Net profile | Blazing Frost | Project Valentine | River Styx | Hexachromalurgy | Fizzy Bubbles

Latest PV pair: Shedinja/Sylveon - What if the MST3K guys did Roshomon? I think it would go a little something like this.

Yeah, I'm totally going to have to make another one about... I dunno, Scyther and Scizor or something.

I finally finished the story I said I was going to write. Here it is:

Note: this story has a bit of complicated science in it, which may be a little hard to understand if you haven't learned about it in school or something yet. I've put a short explanation about the terms used at the bottom.

Magnemite
    Diamond/Pearl entry: The units at its sides generate electromagnetic waves that keep it airborne. It feeds on electricity.

Haunter
    Diamond entry: It can slip through any obstacle. It lurks inside walls to keep an eye on its foes.

Professor Oak yawned loudly, and hastily covered his mouth with his hand. He rubbed his eyes and straightened up to blearily stare around the room - what time is it? He glanced wearily over towards the small clock hung neatly over the door. The thin black hands were both pointing straight up to the twelve . This caused him to rub his eyes again and take another, more attentive look. Was it that late already? Oh well, he may as well quickly try to finish the intro to his report before he went to his bed, though thinking about his warm, soft bed was pretty tempting…

Suddenly, a very sharp shock ran straight through his body, causing him to sit bolt upright again.

“Arghhh!” he cried out in pain.

He quickly twisted around and glared, though not much, at the small metallic ball hovering just behind his back, which appeared to have two magnets attached to its body and was pushing them both into contact with his back.

“What did you do that for?” he asked.

“Mag-ne…<sorry…>” it muttered, hovering slightly away, looking slightly irritated.

Oak realised that he must have nodded off, and quickly apologised to the Magnemite.

“I'm sorry Magnet, I must have nodded off, but can you not shock me next time?”

The Magnemite rolled its eye, then bobbed off out of the study to another part of the lab.

“(His trainer wasn't joking when he said that his Pokemon had an attitude problem,)” mused Professor Oak.

He wringed his hands, before bending down in front of the computer screen, fingers hovering over the keyboard, but then he heard a loud crack form his back. He rapidly sat up dead straight and carefully studied his back with his hands.

“(Gary keeps telling me to sit up straight when I use the computer,)” he remembered, “(says it will give me a bad back otherwise.)” He sighed and smiled lightly to himself, before continuing to type.

For many years, people have wondered how ghost type Pokemon manage to float through walls. Likewise, they have also wondered how some Pokemon, such as Magnemite, are able to levitate. Several years ago, scientists discovered how psychic Pokemon can levitate, but it doesn't explain many other cases. Now, through prolonged communication with other scientists, such as Professor Jan of the Pokemon Physics University, and many experiments, we have managed to find the answer to this question. In both cases, the answer can be found at atomic level. It appears that both are able to influence the electromagnetic field in their very atomic structure in order to influence their physical environment, though in different ways. Magnemites and other electric Pokemon can use their electric powers to boost the electrons in their atoms. The increased charge in the electrons pushes away the electrons in the air and this force keeps it afloat, though it is not known how they can do this without flying apart into subatomic particles. In a similar way, Haunter and other ghost types can alter their atoms to allow their pass through ability. They use their ghostly power (which may or may not be psychic) to pull their electrons temporarily into the inner core of their atoms. This prevents the atoms from falling apart. The Pokemon can then move through the wall. It appears, that since the lack of physicality prevents it from moving its muscles, it is unable to slow down while in ethereal form, though it can turn around while inside a wall. It can make parts of it physical while other parts are ethereal, which is how it can dodge normal and fighting type attacks, though the energy in other forms of attack seems to disrupt its etherealness. It is also unknown how ghosts hold themselves together while ethereal, as the atoms have no way of bonding chemically together.

Professor Oak leaned back into the soft plushy cushion of his armchair and smiled. Quite a decent intro, and he should be able to delegate most of the other work to Jan. How he hated writing reports! It was much more fun to work in the field and study the Pokemon but, alas, if you want to have anyone else know about your discovery, you have to write reports.

Suddenly he realised he had a very painful and disorientating headache, which was very strange considering that he had only written a couple of paragraphs. He turned round to get some aspirin from the cupboard in the bathroom, and found himself face to face with a ghost. It was dark purple in colour, and seemed to have no limbs, but two disembodied hands floated by its main body. It had no neck, and most of the front of its body was occupied by its face, which consisted of two large white eyes, with tiny dots of black for pupils, and a large red mouth, reminiscent of the smile on a Halloween pumpkin, but with a large and long tongue tucked away inside.

“Haun-ter,” it groaned, yet it was smiling like a maniac. It suddenly dropped down and sunk through the floor.

“A wild Haunter!” Professor Oak exclaimed. “It must be from the cemetery to the west of town!”

Suddenly, the Haunter darted out of one of the walls and whooshed past, sending papers everywhere and upending the waste paper basket. Then it rushed out again, causing more destruction in its wake.

“Haunt-er,” it mumbled happily as it continued to tear up the lab.

“My papers!” Yelled Professor Oak, scrambling around helplessly to catch them.

The incorporeal figure suddenly stopped in the middle of the lab and laughed at the Professor's clumsy attempts to chase his work. So busy was it with its merriment, that it failed to notice the small ball of iron and steel quietly sneaking up behind it... at least at first. Suddenly, it appeared to realise it was being tricked, and quickly attempted to shoot away. Of course, it was too late.

“MAG-ne!” snarled Magnet, as it discharged a rather large amount of volts into the Haunter's body.

Sparking wildly, the ghost quickly fled, but to Professor Oak's surprise, when it came into contact with the wall it bounced off like a ping pong ball, then started ricocheting through the lab, eventually coming to rest on the floor, large swirls in its eyes.

“(Wow, it appears that the electric charge cancelled out the Haunter's ability to pass through walls temporarily, so it hit the wall rather than passing through.)” Professor Oak realised. A large grin slowly appeared on his face. “(Wait till everybody hears about this!)” He chuckled and reached for the telephone, thoughts of sleep long forgotten.

Atom- small bits of matter that make up everything in the universe.

Subatomic particles- tiny bits that make up the atom.

Electron- even smaller bits of matter that are part of the atom. They carry an electric charge that pushes at other electrons, which causes other objects to feel solid. If there was no electric charge, you could move through anything, but you would fall straight through the floor. You would also be unable to move, as your muscles wouldn't have anything to move against.

eyha, I didn't give you permission to post that story here. All you had to do was send it to me to check over and I would have given you some things to clean up (and there were a few... repeated words and wordiness).

That being said, it's a nice story, but could use some cleaning. And I'm surprised, despite the science facts at the end, that there was no mention of the magnetically levitating frog. Some scientists in the Netherlands had a giant electromagnetic generator and floated a frog in the magnetic field. And a slice of pizza. That's cool science.
    Pokedex OS- Still trying to capture every single Pokemon out there in words: 648/718 Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh complete!

I thought I had asked you before? I suppose that was quite a while back (about half a year ago)...

that was a decent story. however, i noticed a few mistakes.

“(His trainer wasn't joking when he said that his Pokemon had an attitude problem,)”
    “(Gary keeps telling me to sit up straight when I use the computer,)” he remembered, “(says it will give me a bad back otherwise.)”
    “(Wow, it appears that the electric charge cancelled out the Haunter's ability to pass through walls temporarily, so it hit the wall rather than passing through.)” Professor Oak realised. A large grin slowly appeared on his face. “(Wait till everybody hears about this!)”
    when showing someones thoughts, you should not use quotes, and you should not use parentheses. instead, use italics.

“My papers!” yelled Professor Oak, scrambling around helplessly to catch them.
    that y should be lowercased.

“Mag-ne…<Sorry…>”
    that s should be uppercased.

anyway, it wasnt such a bad story, just fix those things i pointed out.
    Done with Serebiiforums. Don't try contacting me. Me posting will be a very rare occasion.

These are pretty good, I suggest posting links to all of the stories on your first post so readers don't have to search through the pages for them. Anyway, I'd like to make a Pokemon suggestion. ^^

I suggest . . .

the mystical . . .

the magical . . .

the super amazing . . .

D E L I B I R D !
    Yeah, I left Serebii.
    If you really need to find me, I'll be on my deviantArt.
    And my MSN is flurriedrains@live.com.

I've been keeping tabs on this for a bit, and I'd like to suggest a Pokemon mahself. How, about......

WAILORD?

Spoiler:- Creds:

Y Friend Code: 1650-2192-8516
    Fairy Safari: Togepi, Swirlix, Floette

Hmmm... Delibird and Wailord... I'll have to ask Ysavvryl if I can make something about them... Maybe in the style of a Christmas in July type dealie?

Neheheheh. That'd be funny. I can see it now.....

Wailord: *sits on Delibird's lap* For Christmas, I wanna trike, and a copy of DiRT, and a bouncy ball, and.... Are you getting any of this?
    Delibird; *being smashed by Wailord* ......meep.......

Spoiler:- Creds:

Y Friend Code: 1650-2192-8516
    Fairy Safari: Togepi, Swirlix, Floette

Oh dear...

I'll put Delibird on my request list; you'll have to wait a bit to see it. I already did Wailord (with Igglybuff!) though. I think I finally have an idea of what to do with Steelix. And Independance Day (for America, of course) is looking for a reserve.

And it's no good asking me for an index list. Sorry, but I can't do that sort of thing.

So, happy Father's Day! Be nice to your Dad. Doubly so if he's a ninja.

In Process: Steelix
    On Deck: Arbok/Weezing, Tangla/Tangrowth, Growlithe/Arcanine, Burmy/Wormadam/Mothim, Wurmple/Beautifly/Dustox, Delibird
    Reserve: (7/4?)

GASTLY
    Diamond entry: This Pokémon's body is 95% made up of gases, which are blown away by strong gusts of wind.

HAUNTER
    Emerald entry: If a Haunter beckons you while it is floating in darkness, don't approach it. This Pokemon will try to lick you with its tongue and steal your life away.

Thunder crashed over the sea.

A violet haired girl looked up at the dark and bubbling sky. Cold salt water splashed her hands on the motorboat’s bow. The seven-year-old was fascinated by the shifting weather, but nervous about being caught in a storm on open waters. They were still a long ways from home. She looked back to the other occupant of the boat. “Dad?”

“We aren’t going to make it back before the storm. I’m looking for a spot to ride out the storm.” He looked away from the rocky shoreline to smile at her. “You’re alright with that, Janine? Unexpected adventures can happen at any turn.”

She grinned back. So long as her father Koga was nearby, there wasn’t anything to be afraid of. “Sure thing.”

The sea and the sky were rapidly growing more unstable. When they had left Cinnabar half an hour ago, there had been blue skies and calm waters. Janine thought that the storm couldn’t move that fast, but she was wrong. Her Dad probably knew about it coming, given the quiet ride. They continued traveling east.

At least until the engine abruptly cut out.

Koga attempted to restart it, but not a sound came. “I checked it over last week; it shouldn’t be having problems.” He took out a pocketknife, flipped open the screwdriver head, then started on taking the engine case off.

In the meantime, Janine looked back up at the approaching storm. The wind played with her hair, throwing it into her eyes. As she pushed the strands away, she saw a faint image on the water. It was like smoke with no fire. It came closer, growing thicker as it did. “Dad, what’s that out there?”

He looked over, then stopped his work on the engine to step over to her. The ethereal image was gaining distance and clarity. Compared to their twelve foot boat, it was enormous. The water underneath it parted, then grew into a wake. The smoke turned woody and gray. When it stopped, there was a old schooner right by their motorboat.

It seemed to be thirty-five feet long and ten feet high, at least to the main deck. Towering far over their heads, the rigging was in place, if imperfect. It even had a crow’s nest and a Milotic figurehead. There was a ladder built in right by them.

“This is something you could spend a lifetime searching for and never find,” Koga explained, looking over it carefully. “It’s a ghost ship, likely possessed by spirits or Pokemon. It’s doomed to sail for all time.”

She gripped his hand, torn between awe and fear. “Wow. What’s it doing here?”

“It just is. But I don’t think we’re going anywhere while it’s here. Let’s go check it out.”

“Are we going to be okay?”

“My Pokemon will help protect us. Besides, we may have to get on board to send it away.”

Koga went up the ladder first to see what was waiting them. As he climbed over the railing, he looked down and waved for her to come up. Janine then took hold of the ladder. The gritty wood had petrified with age. As she got near the top, she spotted a group of Pokemon on the deck. They were little more than black orbs with angular yellow eyes. Violet wisps of vapor cloaked them, blending one individual into another until they were all one mass of eyes.

He took her hand to help her up the last portion. “You remember how to breathe around the Koffings and Weezings?”

She nodded. “Yes, not too deep or sudden.”

“Same thing with these Gastlies, but they’re tricker because their vapors are much lighter. Keep a safe distance.” He lifted her up and jumped onto the deck, away from the Gastly group huddled along the wall.

They went up towards the helm. The ghost Pokemon made whispers to each other, spooky sounds that were like dried leaves on an autumn tree. While some reached out violet vapors towards them, most didn’t move from their spots. Those that did move couldn’t get close, as the storm’s wind blew apart their vapors.

“They don’t like the wind, do they?” Janine asked. “They’re hiding from it.”

“That’s right, kiddo. We have to be careful too, in case that same wind blows them right at us.”

“Neerrri nerrriira!”

Janine jumped as a Gastly yowled at them for approaching the helm. After patting her shoulder, Koga examined the steering equipment and the sails. The large wheel that controlled the rudder wasn’t tied down, stuck, or broken. Although the storm brought in a strong wind, the sails were ragged and thin, unable to move the vessel. But the ship had gotten to them.

“I’m not sure of how this ship works,” Koga said. “Especially considering the whole paranormal side of it. But there must be something to encourage it to move.”

While he thought aloud on that, Janine looked back to a movement of purple. There was another Pokemon there now, but it wasn’t bothered by the storm. It had pointed ears, a grinning face, and two long arms, while being made of little else. Since the rest were Gastlies, this one was probably a Haunter. It waved its left hand towards itself, asking her to come over.

She tightened her grip on her Dad’s hand, letting him know there was another problem. He looked, then pulled her back so he would be between the Haunter and her. Overhead, thunder boomed again. It startled the weaker ghosts, but not the Haunter. It waved its hand again, trying to get both of them. In response, Koga ...

A violet hand grasped Janine’s shoulder. She responded by punching her fist back, as she had been taught. But it was like punching water in that it didn’t have enough resistance for flesh, but more than air. The second Haunter was taken aback by this, but soon clapped its other hand over her mouth. It licked her cheek, initially confusing her. But a feeling of pins and needles began spreading through her body, she realized that it was trying to capture her. As she tried to tear the Haunter off her, her nerves began screaming with pain.

In an instant, Koga sliced one of his hidden knives into the Haunter. While not a lethal shot, it howled in pain and let her go. The first Haunter screamed at them, causing an echo cry-back from the Gastlies. The ship creaked; the sails stopped fluttering and filled out with the wind.

“Relax your muscles,” Koga instructed, picking her up. “Don’t move unless you must.”

Although scared, Janine did her best to do as told. The intensity of the pain subsided as Koga ran down the ship and leapt back into their small motorboat. The ghost ship picked up speed and began to fade into smoke again. Far before it reached the horizon, it vanished from their sights.

Koga brought out a bottle of anti-venom and a small cloth in a sealed packet. He rubbed the anti-venom over the spot the Haunter had licked. “That’ll fix that. Rest up now.”

“Okay,” she said, quietly lying where he had placed her. “But I thought Pokemon weren’t evil. Are they?”

He shook his head. “They aren’t, but a great many of them don’t understand as much as we do. Those were restless souls, lost on the ocean. They seek life and freedom, so they take what life they see, not realizing it means death for the one they take from.”

“I’ll be okay now, right?”

“Right. Don’t worry.”

Janine smiled a bit, although the anti-venom was making her face feel stiff. “I’ll be brave, like you.”

He smiled back, but a teardrop glistened off one eye. “I’ve never been as scared as when I saw it holding onto you. “

Thunder cracked the sky apart. The hiss of raindrops hitting the sea began to approach them. Jumping with the strong tides, Koga moved back to the engine. It started right up.

“It’ll be fine, Janine. Let’s get to some shelter.”

Nice one. I rather liked Koga's...practicallity.

For Independence Day, how about...well, the obvious solutions would be to find some sort of eagle-like mon, or do on on Red, White or Blue mons...Or maybe you could have George Washington own an Arcanine*I don't know why, I can sort of just picture him with an Arcanine...or Rapidash.*
    Please, please post after me. I can't stand to have killed another topic.

I loved it. Nicely written. I wish there were some showdown between Koga's pokemon with those ghosts, though. I liked how you described the effect of Lick, how one would feel trying to get hold of a ghost pokemon etc. The father daughter interaction was sweet.

Good job!

another excellent story! i like how you described what the haunters felt like, along with how lick can cause paralysis. i also like how the story was suspenseful at times. i only found one mistake.

“Same thing with these Gastlies, but they’re trickier because their vapors are much lighter. Keep a safe distance.”
    it should be trickier, not tricker.

other than that, it was a great story.

Ooh, I loved this one! I especially liked how you combined the creepiness of yowling ghosts with Koga's protectiveness toward Janine. Which would be refreshing in itself, considering the lack of father-child relationships in Pokemon, but hey, ghosts make it even better.

Anyway, great job as usual. ^_^
    FF.Net profile | Blazing Frost | Project Valentine | River Styx | Hexachromalurgy | Fizzy Bubbles

Latest PV pair: Shedinja/Sylveon - What if the MST3K guys did Roshomon? I think it would go a little something like this.

Something fiery on July fourth... or finding a red, a white, and a blue Pokemon (or one of all three, Togekiss?). I'll consider it. Actually, I need to gather all my July holiday reserves shortly.

When I had the idea for this one finally, it followed a particular folklore pattern. In that pattern, there can be either one or three creatures. I tried looking for two others to fit what I needed and found Ninetales. But Ninetales has such interesting entries that it would be best on its own. I also thought either Wartortle or Blastoise qualified, but I had already done the latter. So it's Steelix alone.

In Process: Arbok/Weezing
    On Deck: Tangla/Tangrowth, Growlithe/Arcanine, Burmy/Wormadam/Mothim, Wurmple/Beautifly/Dustox, Delibird
    Reserve: (7/4?)

STEELIX
    Fire Red entry: It is said that if an Onix lives for over 100 years, its composition changes to become diamond-like.

There was once an old woman who was known as a mean-spirited person. She seemed to live on to spite those near here. “You’re only nice because you want my inheritance,” she would say bitterly to people. “Well forget about it. I’ve endured all these years and I know how people really are. So scram!”

Because of this, most people steered clear of her. But then she disliked them for that. “You ought to be ashamed of yourself, ignoring an old woman like me! Clearly you have no respect for your elders.”

But since she had no respect for her juniors, no one wanted to have respect for her. She often had to resort to jabbing people with her cane in revenge. Or standing stubbornly in the way, pretending to be deaf when others asked her to get out of the way. A terrible old woman.

One day as she walked in the park, she encountered a Steelix. This was a grand Pokemon, a ten foot long serpent made of gray steel with a shine like diamonds. He slithered along the ground, moving with surprising quiet and grace. While he moved, he sniffed and licked the ground, testing it for something.

When the old woman’s path crossed with the Steelix’s, she poked it with her oak cane. It made a dull clank. “Out of the way, creature.”

It stopped in its tracks and raised its head to her eye level. “I will move on soon. You can wait.”

No one had been so blunt and calm to her in many years. “You are in my way. Move now.”

“I am here and you are there. Why must I move before I am ready?”

She rapped the end of her cane on the sidewalk. “I am important, better than you, and an old woman. I deserve respect and obedience.”

The steel snake considered her. “You are old... how old are you?”

“I am ninety-eight years old. Still walking every day, living on my own, not dependant on anyone.”

“Hmm.” It lowered its head. “I am one hundred and thirty-eight years old. I can travel hundreds of miles in one day. I take care of myself and assist my Onix offspring when necessary. If it is merely age and independence, I deserve your respect.”

She frowned. “You’re just a Pokemon. You just do as your instincts instruct.”

“You’re just a human. You follow your instincts as much as I do.”

“That doesn’t change things. I am still better and more important than you.”

“How is that so?”

“I’ve lived a full life. I started my own florist business when I was young. I made my shop thrive; it still thrives and I still own it. And while I did that, I raised five children to be good citizens of the world. All that and I’ve been healthy all my days. My husband was in the military, and in two wars, but I supported him and loved him. But I’ve lost many that I love, including him, so I have survived alone. That’s why I am better and more important than you.”

The Steelix was quiet for a minute, then asked, “That is why?”

“Yes. That is exactly what I said.”

“I’ve lived a full life too. I was captured young by a boy and for his entire career, I was there. I was loyal to him, no matter what happened. And no matter what other Pokemon he had, I was always there. He became Regional Champion and would not have done so without me. I was recognized as one of the most powerful Pokemon of the area.

“But then he died in a tragic accident and I was released back into the wild. In my grief, I tunneled deep into the ground. I tunneled so deep that your body of flesh and bone would have turned into coal from the immense heat and pressure. I tunneled so deep that I was nearly melted down into the lava that pours from the wounds of the earth.

“However, the legendary spirits must have plans for me, for I not only survived that depth, I was blessed with a body of metal instead of rock. Thus I came back to the surface, found a mate, and started my own family. But the presence of a human city near our cavern home leads to a danger of your poisons seeping into the soil we eat. It would make us extremely sick if we ate the tainted soil. So for the sake of my mate and children, I have been inspecting the surrounding grounds for such poisons before approving them for tunneling.

“So, old woman,” he twitched the end of his tail, “what makes you more important than me?”

She frowned, but knew she couldn’t match that story. “Fine, your stubborn old snake. Go on with your inspection. I’ll wait.”

The Steelix nodded. “Good.” He sniffed at the ground for a moment, then lifted his head again. “You know, if you had merely waited in the first place, I would have been gone in a third of the time.”

Talking Pokemon. Done by anybody else, it would have been corny. Keep up the good work (I've lurked here for awhile). It also cracks me up how so many other fanfiction authors struggle to continue a single story, and here you are doing three.
    3222 6165 5568

Dang you and your Bullet Punch!............................. - Akua
    I now know that Heatran is not a good Kyogre counter. - Gengar
    2 words; Get a Girlfriend...
    - zand gaia

Great story........as usual! Nice history that Steelix got......
    One thing though, if rock is superior to fire and steel is not, then how come the rock snake turned into a metal snake when it was exposed to that much heat?? But who said, it has to follow logic at all!

Nice one. Keep up the good work. Still can't wait for the burmy one.

Page 23 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast