Page 24 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokedex One-Shots (PG)

great story! there were no mistakes, and it had a moral to it as well. keep up the good work! i eagerly await the story after next. (growlithe/arcanine)
    Done with Serebiiforums. Don't try contacting me. Me posting will be a very rare occasion.

Hi oooo! I'm pretty much addicted to writing, so that's how I manage it. And to shac's comment, if you consider it, steel is not steel unless it's been forged in fire and great heat. So it is, in fact, logical.

As for this story... you ever know a kid like this? I did.

In Process: Tangela/Tangrowth
    On Deck: Growlithe/Arcanine, Burmy/Wormadam/Mothim, Wurmple/Beautifly/Dustox, Delibird
    Reserve: Togekiss (7/4), Gyrados (7/12), Clefairy (7/20)

ARBOK
    Fire Red entry: The pattern on its belly appears to be a frightening face. Weak foes will flee just at the sight of the pattern.

WEEZING
    Emerald entry: By diluting its toxic gases with a special process, the highest grade of perfume can be extracted. To Weezing, gases emanating from garbage are the ultimate feast.

Tonight, the Contest Hall was packed, for this was no ordinary competition. The Coordinators were all young ones, under twelve years old, but they had two Pokemon a piece. Their proud parents and grandparents, bored siblings, and excitable friends filled the seats. Joyful squeals and jealous tears were always a minute away. This was the Novice Contest of Friendship.

The hostess of the Contest smiled prettily on stage. Inside, though, she dreaded this Contest every year. There was always the little starlet, son or daughter of some famous Coordinator who had heaps of preparations, maybe even a ‘borrowed’ Pokemon from Mom or Dad. There was always the star-struck child, the one who dreamed of becoming an instant hit but was horribly ill-prepared. And then, worst of all, there always was the obnoxious one who threw a tantrum when he or she didn’t win.

She had just gotten through the little starlet: a seven year old girl who was overdressed in a Hollywood brand name blue and white dress with a dozen ribbons, shiny black leather shoes that had never been worn before, frilly socks and gloves, a hair perm, and a Beautifly barrette with flashy gemstones. Her Pokemon were obviously Contest regulars with top-quality conditions: a Swellow that would sweep a regular Cool Contest and a Clefairy that was a certified Cute Master. But not a bit of that would have been her own work, leaving the other kids to eat her dust.

Still, the hostess froze that sugary smile to her face and made a grand wave. “Thank you Miss Jen and your darling Swellow and Clefairy. They make such sweet friends.”

The Swellow and Clefairy posed cheerily right on cue. They probably hated each other, although most of the audience wouldn’t realize that.

The hostess turned to the entrance door, giving a quick check to her prompt screen hidden there. “And next on the wonderful Contest of Friendship, we have Adam Richards! Let’s give him a warm welcome!” And which kind of brat would this one be?

For a moment, no one came. The hostess felt the on-coming awkwardness when, with no warning, a puff of white smoke appeared on stage. A young boy, probably eight years old, came barreling through the smoke, missing tripping over the microphone wires by half an inch. Holding back his wild brown hair was a red headband with long ends trailing down his back. His attire would be frowned on during normal Contest hours: a brown shirt, brown pants, and dusty sneakers.

“HI!” he shouted as he came to a stop three feet from her. “I’m a ninja.”

‘It’s the obnoxious one,’ the hostess thought. Still, she wouldn’t stop her smile; she had to put on a good show, no matter what. “Hello Adam. You’re certainly that. That was a... an enthusiastic entrance.”

“Ain’t no other way to do it,” he said, grinning and showing off a front tooth that was half-grown.

“So who are your two dearest Pokemon friends?”

“I’ll show you!” He snatched up his two Pokeballs and released them at the same time. “Go Shady and Stinky!”

Yes, this would be the obnoxious one with terribly picked Pokemon. She braced herself as the two lights began to form onstage. The first thing that struck her was a horrible stench, like an outdoors trash can on a warm day. The other kids, especially the little starlet, all scrunched up their faces in response. Then the two Pokemon appeared and the reason for the smell was obvious. One of them was a Weezing, a large violet gaseous cloud with a yellow mark on it. That mark had been adapted for placement on all toxic chemicals. While not as bad, the other was an Arbok. Rarely, its kind were seen in Contests Halls. But Weezings, never.

“Poh-hosh-hosh,” the Weezing Stinky announced himself proudly.

“Ssssss,” the Arbok Shady added. She turned towards the other competitors, then raised herself up to show off her markings. These were fierce red and yellow markings that appeared eerily like a monster’s face.

The other Pokemon were stunned into stillness. A few wailed in fear, gripping their child Coordinator for support. In particular, the starlet’s Clefairy cried out, apparently asking for that scary Poison Pokemon to be taking away. Several of them wanted to run away, but stayed or hid behind somebody.

Shady flicked her forked tongue out, satisfied.

“Ninjas have got to master a lot of weapons,” Adam said, ignoring the distress his Pokemon were causing. “But having great ninja Pokemon is important too!”

“I see,” she replied carefully. Best get this one out of the way fast; the Weezing was looking at her with strange interest. “So Adam, tell me what you know about Shady’s kind.”

“Well Arboks can move real quiet like. They stay low to the ground and slither, so you can’t hear them approach.” To demonstrate this, he hunched his body over and took a few creeping steps forward. “And then they spring up and frighten their foe real fast!” He jumped up, holding his hands over his head. “While the foe’s scared, they constrict them. And Arboks are real strong too. I’ve seen Shady crush a steel drum can like it was made of paper.”

A Mawile in the group began crying again.

‘Keep your cool,’ the hostess told herself. “That’s very strong,” she told the obnoxious boy. “And what do you know about...” she would never be saying this name in a normal Contest, “Stinky’s kind?”

“I know lots! I can tell you what kind of perfume you’re wearing.”

Surprised, she looked away from the Pokemon down to him. “You can?”

“Yeah, it’s Sweet Dreams.”

“That’s right.” A movement caused her to look over. The Weezing had crept closer to her, watching her with his main eyes and the disturbing stunted head attached to his... tail. “But what’s that have to do with Stinky here?”

Adam grinned wide. “The chemists like Weezings, you see. They gather the poisons from Weezing, refine and extract them, then make really nice smelling perfumes with them. Some of the most expensive perfumes in the world use Weezing oils, and some not so expensive ones like Sweet Dreams do too. I can tell it’s that one you’re wearing, because Stinky thinks you smell like a lady Weezing.”

They made her favorite perfume from that disgusting Pokemon? And that was why he had been watching her this whole time? The hostess gagged, then had to disguise it as a polite cough to regain her composed smile. Fortunately, Adam didn’t seem to notice. He was looked back at his Weezing.

“But then he likes to hang out over dumpsters the day before trash day because he loves to eat that smell. Isn’t that funny?”

“That’s... that’s very interesting, Adam,” she said. “So what makes you three the best of friends?”

“Oh, they’re very venomous Pokemon, but they never poison me! They come along with me on my ninja missions and make sure everything goes smoothly. So I’ve always succeeded in what I wanted to do and never got caught once doing it. They help make me a great ninja.” Then he lost his smile for a moment and shrugged. “Although, I suppose I have to go learn from a ninja master someday. There’s no other ninjas around here.”

“Pah-ha...” Stinky said encouragingly. Shady slithered forward and nosed Adam affectionately.

With his Pokemon’s support, that toothy grin came right back. “But until then, I know Shady and Stinky will always be by my side!”

Only during the Contest of Friendship would this boy and his Pokemon be considered entrants, the hostess thought. She bit back on a snide comment and went on with the accepted format. “That’s wonderful. They certainly know how to cheer you up.”

“Always. I love ‘em.”

“Yes... thank you, Mr. Adam and your loyal Shady and Stinky.”

After enduring another twenty minutes of this, the judges handed her the winner’s envelope. She expected the starlet with the Swellow and Clefairy to win. But as she made the dramatic opening, what she saw on the paper surprised her.

‘The winner of the Novice Contest of Friendship is... Adam Richards and his Pokemon, the Arbok Shady and the Weezing Stinky. Their authentic friendship shines through their rustic demeanor like diamonds waiting to be polished.’
    Last edited by Ysavvryl; 28th June 2009 at 4:18 PM.
    Pokedex OS- Still trying to capture every single Pokemon out there in words: 648/718 Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh complete!

Fluer Noir- A story of a black flower, a shameful history, and magic.

Yay for Adam! But Arbok scare me, I would probably have been that crying Mawile!

(Rank up! Yay!)
    Last edited by tumbleweed93; 28th June 2009 at 4:50 PM.
    I have claimed Jynx!

Please click!

Tremble at the adorability of BABY TANGROWTH! Created by the incredibly skilled 705030!

I ought to stop reading the dex. entries before I read the stories. That just diminishes the fun to an extent. Anyway, good work as always!

nice story. it just goes to show that beauty isnt everything. although that kid was pretty funny. i cant wait for tangela/tangrowth and then (if reserved ones dont get in the way) growlithe/arcanine!
    Done with Serebiiforums. Don't try contacting me. Me posting will be a very rare occasion.

Anyhow, yay review! This one comes with more percentages.

TOTAL: 171/493 - 34.7%

BY GENERATION:

R/B/G/Y: 57/151 -37.7%
    G/S/C: 38/100 -38%
    R/S/E: 41/135 -30.4%
    D/P/P: 35/107 -32.7%

BY TYPE:

Normal: 29
    Flying: 24
    Water: 23
    Grass: 21
    Poison: 21
    Ground: 17
    Bug: 14
    Electric: 13
    Psychic: 12
    Fight: 11
    Ghost: 11
    Dark: 8
    Rock: 8
    Ice: 8
    Fire: 7
    Dragon: 7
    Steel: 7

BY SPECIAL TYPE

Starter: 14/36- 38.9%
    Blastoise, Charmeleon, Quilava, Torterra, Chikorita, Feraligator, Torchic, Turtwig, Mudkip, Totodile, Croconaw, Squirtle, Grotle, Treecko

Legend: 5/34 -14.7%
    Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Shaymin, Manaphy

???/Shadow: 1
    Mankey

Shiny: 2
    Magikarp, Fearow

Guests: 13
    JammyU, Kutie Pie, darkdragontamer (2), #Chimecho# (2), elrade
    Regigigas, Staryu, Starmie, Bannette, Sandshrew, Ponyta, Barboach, Swellow, Absol, Kadabra, Lucario, Arceus, Darkrai (not counted in other totals)

HUMANS (this category may be off; I don’t track them as closely)

In-game Trainers
    Bug Catcher, Channeler, Lass, Battle Girl, Fisherman, Ninja Boy

In-game Characters
    Bruno, Steven, Giovanni, Silver, Professor Elm, Brawly, Lt. Surge, Gary Oak, Koga, Janine

Other Characters
    Ashton (Star Ocean 2), Mindy (Animaniacs), Tom and Huck (M. Twain)

June Midyear Comments

Bug and Electric made major jumps up the type chart, while Psychic and Fighting tend to stay neck and neck. My next benchmark is 200, as the fifty percent mark is far off. Although... forty percent is 197. Did anybody find a firm date on Serebii’s tenth anniversary? I skimmed around the main site and didn’t find much. I’m working on that story, so I’ll be able to post it whenever.

Most everything is around thirty percent, except for legendaries. But a number of those would likely come in groups as they’re parts of pairs or trios. I haven’t gotten around to checking completion on types, because that would entail counting them all (I might even be inaccurate on the total legendaries, because I hand counted them). But that would be interesting to know.
    Pokedex OS- Still trying to capture every single Pokemon out there in words: 648/718 Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh complete!

Anniversary

It says October 21st.

Join Hachiko's PokeKingdom today!

*Credit to Lucina Archaelis of Subspace Generate Graphics for banner

Whoo, cheers for coming this far!

The Steelix was a neat character; I loved how the old woman met her match. And the way she just walked up to it and poked it made me giggle, as did the crying Mawile in Arbok/Weezing. >>; And this was an excellent finish:
    “You know, if you had merely waited in the first place, I would have been gone in a third of the time.”
    XP
    FF.Net profile | Blazing Frost | Project Valentine | River Styx | Hexachromalurgy | Fizzy Bubbles

Latest PV pair: Shedinja/Sylveon - What if the MST3K guys did Roshomon? I think it would go a little something like this.

Okay, so I have til October? I may find something else to do with the Celebi story I've already got down. It's... pretty long and I just spun it out in the past few days.

Happy Independance Day! If you're not American, have a great day too. I was going to post Tangela and Tangrowth on the first, but I wasn't happy with how it came out. Then I figured out what to do with it.

Today's story is brought to you by the letter T.

In Process: Growlithe/Arcanine
    On Deck: Burmy/Wormadam/Mothim, Wurmple/Beautifly/Dustox, Delibird
    Reserve: Gyrados (7/12), Clefairy (7/20)

TANGELA
    Leaf Green entry: The blue vines shrouding its body are covered in a growth of fine hair. It is known to be ticklish.

TANGROWTH
    Platinum entry: Its arms are made of plants that bind themselves to things. They grow back right away if cut.

TOGEKISS
    Platinum entry: It shares many blessings with people who respect one another's rights and avoid needless strife.

Looking like a heap of shoe-eating vines, the Tangela sat out in the sunny yard. He knocked his red shoes together, a little bored with the wait. The kids who had gathered seemed bored too, waiting on Luke, the boy ringleader who organized most every bit of mischief in town. Especially bored was the young girl who was creeping up on him.

With a smile hidden by blue foliage, Tangela continued knocking his shoes together. The girl walked up behind him, grabbed one of his vines, and started tickling him. “Gotcha!”

“Gweeeee!” he squealed, breaking into peals of laughter. The hairs on his vines were highly sensitive, so it never took much to get him tickled.

“Quit fooling around,” Luke called, coming into the yard. “We’ve got a meeting to start.”

Much to Tangela’s disappointment, the girl let him go. “It would help if you weren’t always late!”

“I came right at the start of the meeting, so I’m perfectly on time.” He jumped on a stump, then let his Pinsir out of her ball. “Okay everyone, I’ve got big news, so listen up.”

If the meeting was starting, Tangela needed to be ready. He caught his breath from being tickled, then skipped over to his Trainer Pete. Smiling, the boy patted him, then looked back to Luke. The two boys squabbled a lot, as they had different ideas on doing things. But Tangela believed in Pete. Once they were able to go out on a journey, he felt that the two of them would make a great start to a winning team.

Luke pointed to the north. “Up there is Aarde Woods, as you know. There’s lots of great Pokemon in there, but I’ve learned something even bigger about the place. Living in the woods are a monster and an angel.”

“It could just be some unusual Pokemon,” Pete commented.

“They are not.”

“I bet they are.”

Luke glared down at him. “I’m in charge, so don’t argue.”

“What do they look like?” one of the other boys asked.

“Well the monster is huge and green. It eats little kids and young Pokemon, then hides by pretending to be part of the forest landscape. And worst of all, it smells like a wet Raticate.”

“Ewwww,” the girl said.

“But the angel had great white wings and a beautiful voice. Not many people have actually seen it, but many have heard it. And they say if you do see it, you’ll be very lucky for the next year.”

“That’s awesome.”

“I still think they sound like unusual Pokemon,” Pete said.

Tangela patted his Trainer’s knee. “<Be careful. Remember what happened last time you got in an argument with Luke?>” There was still a bruise on Pete’s chest from that fight.

“Even if they are,” Luke argued hostilely, “the monster one is dangerous. We’re big kids, so it won’t try to eat us, but what about the little ones? Or your little girly Grass Pokemon?”

“Tangela is not girly!”

“All Grass Pokemon are for girls. Anyhow, if you think you’re man enough,” he shot a daring look at Pete, “you can join me in saving the angel from the monster. We’re gonna beat that monster, Pokemon or not, so that it’s no longer a danger to anybody.”

“So we’ll be heroes?” a fourth boy asked.

“Of course.”

“Unless they are just ordinary Pokemon,” Pete said. “Then you’d be a villain for hurting one.”

“I don’t know why I call you to our meetings anymore, dork,” Luke retorted. “If you don’t like it, just stay out of it. As for the rest of you heroes, come on!” He ran off with his Pinsir and the other two boys.

“Are they gonna hurt a Pokemon?” the girl asked.

Luke got up. “We’ll make sure they won’t. Right Tangela?”

The mass of vines nodded. “<Right.>”

“We’ve got to find the one they think is a monster first. Let’s go!”

They ran into the woods.

Several hours later, Pete and Tangela were deep in the trees. It was getting dark. “Can you find the way out if night falls?”

Tangela nodded, holding some brush aside with a blue vine. “<I can feel what the other plants feel. They can show me the way to go.>”

“Good, thanks. Man, I hope Luke didn’t find them.”

“Kuu waiii.”

Pete looked up to the Pokemon call. “There’s that one again. Sounds like one of the birds. I wonder if that’s his angel. It is pretty.”

Sensing something, Tangela knelt down and ran one of his more sensitive vines over the ground. He picked up chemical traces that seemed familiar; it was something he felt he should know, but didn’t. Patting along the ground, he found a trail. He hopped up and waved a vine at his boy. “<Hey, there’s something here!>”

“Found something? Good work.” Pete hurried along after.

They came upon a clearing in the woods. It appeared that there was a vine-covered rock in the middle, but a closer look showed red shoes and a pair of eyes. But it was much larger than Tangela and had some extra long vine bundles that acted as arms. The Tangrowth was holding Luke and his Pinsir captive with some of vines, the former by his ankles, the latter around her pincers.

“Kwaa.” The birdcall came from somewhere nearby.

Tangela hopped up close, then bowed politely. “<Good evening, elder. I didn’t know you were living here.>”

Tangrowth nodded to him. “<Good evening. I keep to myself, mostly.>”

“Pete!” Luke called, seeing them approach. “See, I told you! It’s the monster and he’s got some angel with a beautiful voice captive.”

He sighed, shaking his head. “You nitwit, I’m the one who’s right. This is what my Pokemon’s going to evolve into.”

Luke looked back at the mass of blue vines. It was obvious to see the connection, although he didn’t want to admit to his mistake. “That thing?”

Smirking, Pete came up to his rival. “Can’t say that he’s girly now, huh?”

“<How am I to evolve?>” Tangela asked. “<My mother never did.>”

“<Hmmm...>” He put a vine onto Tangela’s mass. “<When you get a chance to learn an ancient power, do not hesitate.>”

“<An ancient power? I’ll remember that.>”

“But you have to admit that this thing is a monster,” Luke said, still trying to prove his point. “It’s got me and Pinsir captive, along with the angel.”

“You probably acted in a threatening manner.”

Tangrowth nodded. “<Rude and crude is a better way to put it, but it was a threat.>”

Pinsir growled. “<Once I get myself loose, you’re going to pay for this.>”

“<Can it, bug.>”

Waving his vines, Tangela asked, “<Hey, who is that Pokemon calling out every now and then? The one he calls an angel.>”

“<Togekiss? Back under that bush.>” He pointed towards a large draping mound of leaves. “<She’s injured, so I’m watching out for her as she heals.>”

“<Can we go up to her? My Trainer might be able to do something for her.>”

“<I don’t know about that. It was a human who hurt her.>”

“<It’s okay,>” a soft voice came from the bush. “<I sense compassion from him.>”

Tangela then tugged at Pete’s shirt. “<Hey, come over here.>” He hopped over to the bush.

“What’s up?” The boy looked up at Tangrowth when he noticed where his Pokemon was going. But the older Pokemon nodded again, allowing them to go.

Underneath the bush was a rare white bird Pokemon; her plumage was so pure that if the Tangrowth hadn’t been hiding her, a predator might have had her helpless. With she had natural speckles of red and blue, there was an extra red mark on her left wing. “<A human tried to capture me by violent means,>” she explained. “<I would have been unhappy under him and my powers would thus be weak. So I did my best to get away, only to end up unable to fly for long.>”

Pete grinned. “You’re kind of right, Luke,” he called into the clearing. “I’ve heard some people call Togekiss an angelic Pokemon. But this Grass ‘monster’ is protecting her.”

“Dang it,” the other boy grumbled. “I was going to be a hero sooner rather than later.”

“<You aren’t going to be a hero with your attitude,>” Tangrowth retorted. He released Luke, but kept hold of Pinsir. “<And you, for snipping off my vines, you’re staying put.>”

“<You grew them back already,>” she said in a huff.

“<It still hurt.>”

“I hope you don’t mind if I use one of your medicines,” Pete told Tangela as he pulled a Super Potion out of his bag.

“<No problem.>”

He sprayed the potion over Togekiss’ wound; it worked quickly to increase the healing rate. “You don’t want to fly on it tonight, but you should be fine tomorrow.”

“<That’s good,>” she replied, nuzzling Pete’s arm. “<Are you two traveling?>”

“<Not yet,>” Tangela replied. “<But we should be setting out next summer.>”

“<He already has a kind heart, which is a good start. But I assure you, you both may find a bit of luck coming your way.>”

“<Thank you very much.>” He bowed.

Pete closed up his bag and got up. “Come on Tangela. And you too Luke, I guess. We’re going to miss the fireworks if we don’t get back to town soon.”

“<So long as they’re far away from me, great!>” Tangela bounded back to a path.

Luke recalled his Pinsir, then ran after them. “Wait! You aren’t even going to try catching them?”

“You have any Pokeballs?”

“No.”

“Good.” Pete grinned. “I do, but it’s not fair to catch an already wounded Pokemon like that. And Tangela will be that powerful too, in his own time.”

“You loser!”

-+-

Togekiss settled back down as Tangrowth made sure the bush covered her again. “<A poor opinion. He won’t make it far.>”

“<You’ll see to that?>” the vine Pokemon asked.

“<No, he’ll see to that himself.>”

A week later, Pete woke up to find a mysterious egg on his windowsill.

nice story! you really love stories about how looks arent everything, as shown by how a puny tangela can become a monstrous tangrowth. i liked how you referred to the move ancientpower as "an ancient power." that makes it sound less like an attack and more like a strange force. however, i noticed one mistake.

While she had natural speckles of red and blue, there was an extra red mark on her left wing.
    that should be while, not with. and now for my favorite part:
    Pinsir growled. “<Once I get myself loose, you’re going to pay for this.>”

“<Can it, bug.>”
    OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!!!!

cant wait for the growlithe/arcanine story that is up next!
    Last edited by growlithe_master; 4th July 2009 at 5:22 PM.

If you don't want to wait until October, you can do Bulbasaur for the 10th anniversary and you can do Celebi on Joe's birthday, which is July 20-something.

Join Hachiko's PokeKingdom today!

*Credit to Lucina Archaelis of Subspace Generate Graphics for banner

That was a really great story. I liked how you referred Tangrowth and Togekiss as the monster and the angel. I liked the part where Tangela is assuring Pete that he can show them out of the forest, since it can feel the trees-that was a nice touch!

Ysavvryl....I think I love you!

That was trult inspired. I loved the monster and angel theme and how that Tangrowth totally owned pinsir. Great once again. This just affirns that you are the best fan fiction author ever!
    I have claimed Jynx!

Please click!

Tremble at the adorability of BABY TANGROWTH! Created by the incredibly skilled 705030!

I learned off fairy tales, so that's why fairy tale themes and morals show up often...

This might be one of those that's funnier to read if you don't check the entries before the story.

In Process: Gyrados (7/12)
    On Deck: Burmy/Wormadam/Mothim, Wurmple/Beautifly/Dustox, Delibird
    Reserve: Clefairy (7/20)

GROWLITHE
    Emerald entry: Its superb sense of smell ensures that this Pokemon won't forget any scent, no matter what. It uses its sense of smell to detect the emotions of others.

ARCANINE
    Emerald entry: This fleet-footed Pokemon is said to run over 6,200 miles in a single day and night. The fire that blazes wildly within its body is its source of power.

There was a large crowd of people filing into a giant stadium. Within the crowd was a father and son pair of humans accompanied by a father and son pair of Pokemon. The humans wore matching black and yellow jackets and hats. The father of that pair was pulling along a rolling cooler with drinks. Of the Pokemon pair, the father Arcanine was walking in exact step with his Trainer, while the son Growlithe often hopped up on his hind legs in excitement.

The younger canine wagged his furry tail. “<Oh boy, Nascar race, Nascar race! Um dad, what’s a Nascar?>”

“<I’m not exactly sure myself,>” the older, and much larger, canine replied. “<But they love it, so it must be great.>”

“<I like racing! Are we gonna run?>”

“<I don’t think so.>”

“Do you have your earplugs?” the human father asked his son.

He patted his pocket. “Yeah, right here. It’s gonna be really loud, ain’t it?”

“Yes, very loud,” he replied with a grin. Then he sneezed. “Whoa...”

“<Ragweed pollen is moderate today,>” Growlithe reported. He sniffed the air. “<And there’s lots of rubber particles around, with hints of gasoline, high carbon levels, clover, fast food restaurant grease, and I think that guy over there has been drinking beer already, and asphalt, gravel dust, grass mowed yesterday...>”

“<Exactly,>” Arcanine said, then nudged his head against his Trainer’s arm. “<I hope you remembered your medicine.>”

The Trainer patted his head. “Yes Arcanine, I took my allergy medicine.”

“<Good.>”

“How’d you know he asked about that?” the boy human asked.

“If he nudges me with his head after I sneeze, it’s nearly always about my allergies.”

The group entered the track’s stadium. After spending half an hour searching, they found their seats and got ready to watch the race. There were a great many humans and Pokemon in the stands. Growlithe barked at a Purugly for a while until a Magcargo on a plastic mat got his attention and talked to him. There was a group of three Arons, one with a tall pole with a flag on top, cheering on one of the drivers. All the while, he kept checking in on his family.

Everyone was waiting though. There was a long bit of talking, and a bunch of cars lined up. Bored, Growlithe came back up and tapped his boy with his nose. But the scent of excitement filled the air around him. The boy Trainer hugged his Pokemon. “This is awesome,” he whispered before turning his eyes back to the track.

“<It’s good that you’re happy,>” he said. Then he looked to his father, who was still sitting calmly by the human father. “<But nothing’s happening.>”

“<Sometimes humans are like that,>” Arcanine explained. “<They know a lot more than us. If they’re happy and excited, then something exciting is about to happen.>”

“<I don’t like waiting. When will something happen?>”

“<It will happen. Have patience. Look, there’s a flag.>”

Growlithe looked over at a tower, where a man was holding onto a green flag. Below him, the cars revved their engines, sending a thunderous wave of noise over the stadium. The flag waved and the thirty cars on the track rushed out from behind the starting line. The race had begun.

The cars were extremely fast and the din was enormous. The race watchers could feel the noise all through their bodies. But everyone cheered and clapped, watching the racers trying to get the lead. At first, Growlithe barked every time the cars headed their way. But they kept going into the turn and racing away, only to race back a brief time later.

He walked over to his father. “<It’s really loud here, isn’t it?!>”

Arcanine looked down at him. “<What? I can’t hear you over this noise!>”

“<It’s loud with those cars, right?!>”

“<You want me to catch one of those cars?!>”

Growlithe pawed at the ground. “<I can’t hear you even though we’re looking right at each other!>”

Arcanine got up from where he’d been sitting. “<Well I’ll give it a shot. There’s a lot of them, though.>” He trotted over to the stairs.

Noticing, the human father watched them go. “Arcanine?! Where’re you going?!”

The large red canine went up the stairs a little, then turned towards the track. No one else was on the stairs. After judging the conditions, he roused up the fire in his paws and dashed down the staircase. As he got up to speed, he leapt over the safety fence and began chasing after the race cars.

Yipping proudly, Growlithe hopped up on his hind legs. “<Wahoo! Dad’s in the Nascar race!>”

“ARCANINE!!!” The human father came onto the stairs and looked at the track with deep concern.

“Whoa, looks like we’ve got an Arcanine on the tracks,” the race announcer said over the loudspeakers. “He’s giving the cars a run for their money. They’re bringing out the yellow flag until we can get him off.”

Fifteen minutes later, the two humans and Growlithe met with track security. “I’m really sorry,” the human father said. “He usually doesn’t take off like that.”

“Nah, it’s fine,” the guard said. “Nobody got hurt and we all got a good laugh. He might have gotten too excited by the race.”

Arcanine shrugged. “<Sorry I couldn’t catch one of those cars, son.>”

Wagging his tail, Growlithe came up and licked his head. “<Nah, that was awesome! I can’t wait until I’m big enough to do that.>”

Note: By the 'dex entry listed, Arcanine can run at least 258 mph. Catching a Nascar racecar would be a cakewalk.
    Last edited by Ysavvryl; 12th July 2009 at 7:32 PM.

hooray! growlithe and arcanine story! yay!

that was a pretty funny story. i liked how neither of them could hear each other and arcanine ran faster than the cars. lol.

i noticed one mistake.

“<What? I can’t hear you over this noise!>”
    make sure your shift button is held down so you dont end up with a one.

great story, i loved it, it was hilarious. now for one of my favorite parts.

“<Ragweed pollen is moderate today,>” Growlithe reported. He sniffed the air. “<And there’s lots of rubber particles around, with hints of gasoline, high carbon levels, clover, fast food restaurant grease, and I think that guy over there has been drinking beer already, and asphalt, gravel dust, grass mowed yesterday...>”
    0.0 calm down there.

yay for growlithe and arcanine stories! and yay for growlithe and arcanine! yay!

So, this thread's a year old now. I've seen two other attempts like this personally and they only got to two or three stories. I've got through 177 Pokemon. So that makes me either dedicated or crazy. Yay!

This story is a bit different. Try to figure out why stuff happened before the last line.

In Process: Burmy/Wormadam/Mothim
    On Deck: Wurmple/Beautifly/Dustox, Delibird
    Reserve: Clefairy (7/20)

GYARADOS
    Emerald entry: It is an extremely vicious and violent Pokemon. When humans begin to fight, it will appear and burn everything to the ground with intensely hot flames.

The sirens had ceased, but the flames still crackled, occasionally stirring as bits of the house collapsed inward. The flames were calming down, now bright orange instead of deep violet. Being the classic trademark of Dragon Rage, the violet flames were so intense that they wouldn’t look like normal flames until many hours after the initial outburst. Due to the different energy source, Rage fire wasn’t quite fire. It was potentially more dangerous than true fire, since water couldn’t tame it as easily.

The Rage fire was beginning to smolder now, inhabiting a space that used to be a normal two-story house. It had been a nice dusty pink, but similar to every other house in the neighborhood: white window boxes filled with pansies, a steep roof with red shingles, an old brick chimney, a welcome mat that said ‘Wipe Your Paws’, a rose pink mailbox. No longer. The pansies had been toasted to a crisp and were long gone. The roof was mere rubble topping the giant pile of soot. The bricks were black, some still glowing and hot enough to grill a steak. No one could locate the welcome mat and the mailbox had melted to metallic glop.

And it wasn’t just the house that had suffered. In the middle of the front yard, the car was rubble as well. Not from Rage fire, though. The car had been smashed to pieces by several full body tackles. The largest damage was a blow that had crushed the roof, causing the safety glass to fracture dozens of times with large white jags. Then it had been rammed into from the left side, causing the brown and tan car to flip upside down. The last blow had been to the engine, making the hood bend up at a slight angle. Much of the fluid had been washed away, but glistens of oil and gasoline still remained on the grass underneath it. Without doubt, this car would never run again.

The tree closest to the house had burned down to a charred spike in the ground. Another tree was dangerously leaning from a seven foot long crack running up the trunk. In the driveway, there was a circular ring of cracks from something powerful slamming into the asphalt. The chain link fence in the backyard was torn out and twisted about. As he surveyed the damage, the insurance agent shook his head.

Along the street, neighbors still kept their distance. They were curious about the destruction, but afraid it would spread. They walked along the sidewalk, stopped to gawk at the ruins for a minute, then scurried on before the police noticed them. However, they kept coming back, hoping for answers.

In the street, a pair of police officers were questioning a teenaged girl. They knew who she was, Lisa Bailey from the rural route west of town. She was dressed nicely today, with her dark green hair tied up in a neat bun with a blue scale hairpin. Her dress was handsewn, a simple affair with short sleeves trimmed with lace, sparkling blue buttons, and a long flowing skirt. Made of blue cotton fabric with pink lotus flowers printed here and there, she had likely sewn it herself. To go with this, she had a handbag of sparkling blue scales and blue shoes with low heels.

Lisa was being emotional, though. Sometimes she was tearful and downcast, clutching her handbag close. Other times, she was bitter and angry, stomping her foot and glaring away from the policemen. And other times she was nervous and concerned, looking back to her two Pokemon in great worry. However, she didn’t seem too worried about the destruction of the house. Whenever it got mention, she fumed silently.

On the other hand, her two Pokemon seemed quite pleased with themselves. One was a Gyarados, a powerful water Pokemon with small but showy frills around her neck. Twenty-one feet long, she had no limbs, instead having a strong finned tail and a fearsome countenance. With teeth as long as a man’s hand and glossy blue scales that often matched the waters it lived in, people rightfully feared the wild ones.

The other Pokemon was also a Gyarados, but a highly distinctive one. Instead of being blue, he sported glossy plum red scales. This gave him a devilish appearance, especially with the cheeky grin he was wearing as he surveyed the burning rubble. Residents of the town knew this Pokemon well as Lisa’s oldest Pokemon. Normally he wasn’t known for causing trouble, so the neighbors avidly gossiped about what was up with the two Gyarados now.

Sitting on the curb near the destroyed home and car was another teenager. He wasn’t being as moody as Lisa, though. Instead, the blond-haired track star rested his elbows on his knees while he looked down at the ground. He had been shell-shocked this whole time, never once looking back at the destruction behind him as if he could make it go away by denying it. He barely responded to people who came up to him.

He was dressed nicely as well, in black pants and a white button up shirt. However, he had a white ice pack over his right eye to keep it from swelling any more. A girl other than Lisa had punched him not that long ago. That was when his family’s home had still been standing, though. He made an effort to not look at the Gyarados pair.

Eventually, Lisa was made to recall her two Pokemon and go to the station with one of the policemen. The other one came up to the boy. “Piece of advice, kid,” he said in a flat voice. “Don’t ever cheat on a girl, especially not one that trains Gyarados.”

yay! happy one year anniversary, pokedex one shots! and to top it off, we see a return from lisa, star of the very first ever pokedex one shot. and a spectacular story to go with it.

this was once again, a marvelous story. i couldnt find any mistakes in it. i liked how lisa made a return from the first story with tuna, her shiny gyarados. im curious as to who the other gyarados is though. anyway, great story, and happy one year anniversary!

Congrats for a successful year!

Now to the gyrados story, it was really great. The thing I liked most about it is the way you told the story. That's the the sign of a great author, right there!

Good luck....

Still can't wait for the burmy story. Make it a great one, please!

Somehow I got the idea that he was doing a weather report ... XD And I love the mental image of the Arcanine on the racetrack. As for the latest one, I liked how it related to the very first one-shot for a little nostalgia. Not to mention its important moral, LOL!

Happy anniversary, yay~
    FF.Net profile | Blazing Frost | Project Valentine | River Styx | Hexachromalurgy | Fizzy Bubbles

Latest PV pair: Shedinja/Sylveon - What if the MST3K guys did Roshomon? I think it would go a little something like this.

Thanks to you guys for reading!

You know, for having made this character off the top of my head, I love this Mothim. The 'dex entries for him are really interesting.

In Process: Clefairy (7/20)
    On Deck: Wurmple/Beautifly/Dustox, Delibird

BURMY
    Pearl entry: If its cloak is broken in battle, it quickly remakes the cloak with materials nearby.

WORMADAM
    Platinum entry: When evolving, its body takes in surrounding materials. As a result, there are many body variations.

MOTHIM
    Platinum entry: While it loves floral honey, it won’t gather any itself. Instead, it plots to steal some from Combee.

Branches crashed to the side as a Pokemon came barreling through the thick forest. His orange and red wings were a blur and his breath came rapidly. Clasping his red fedora so it didn’t get away from him, he dodged trees like a maniac. “Dang... stupid... Combees...”

Behind him, three yellow Combees pursued him. “Give yourself up, Mothim!" one shouted. “You can’t last much longer.”

“That’s... what you... think,” he shouted back. But when would they tire out? They’d chased him all over the forest for much of the afternoon. Or were these different Combees? That would be one of their tactics, to swap out one pursuit group for another. After ducking low to avoid a tree branch, he glanced back to check on them.

Seconds later, he screamed as sharp pain shot through his body and wings. He’d crashed right into a thorn bush while checking on the Combees. A group of particularly nasty looking thorns sat inches from his eyes. Closing them, he swore under his breath. His hat tumbled to the ground with a soft thump.

The Combee group managed to stop without hitting the thorn bush. “That is a nasty mess you’ve gotten yourself into,” one said.

“Thieves always get themselves into nasty messes,” another added.

“You deserve it for stealing our best honey,” the third finished.

“Aw shut it,” Mothim retorted. “You got tons of the stuff just lying around in that cave. Can’t you share a bit?”

“It is our lifelong work and no one has the right to take it from us.”

“Shall we leave him here?”

“Sure. We’ll make a report to the Explorer’s Guild that a terrible thief is stuck in thorns.”

“So you won’t be here forever, but you will be suitably punished.”

“Good riddance.” With that, the three of them took off.

Mothim grumbled. “Great. You’re probably not gonna report it until tomorrow. I’ll be better off getting free myself.”

Observing the bush he was stuck to, he tried to think up a way to get free without tearing up his wings worse. If he pulled back one of his wings, the other would rip through. If he pulled both out at once, he risked getting horrible scars all over his body. And it would not do to lose his attractive qualities.

Or maybe being stuck to a thorn bush all night wasn’t worth the pride... no, it was worth his pride to not get scarred up. He kept thinking.

As afternoon wore into evening, Mothim had to admit that his choices were narrowing to two. Either get himself further injured, possibly scarred, and marked as a wanted Pokemon, or endure a torturous wait in order to be arrested and sent to jail. “And all this fuss over some clover honey,” he said with a sigh. “It couldn’t have been lotus honey, or orchid honey, or even rose honey. Nope, just common clover honey. Man, I outta sue Vespiquen for running a monopoly.”

“Hey, where’d this funny hat come from?” a girlish voice asked from beneath him.

“Thank you,” he said under his breath. He looked down to see who it was.

There was a little Burmy girl on the ground, picking up his red fedora. She had the forest cloak, one of deep green leaves and wildflowers. With her were a pair of Wormadams. One had the adult version of the forest cloak, full, leafy, and flowery, while the other had the sandy cloak, a brown dusty looking fluff.

That was even better. “Sorry ladies,” he called down to them. “I lost it while cruising around, you see.”

When they looked up at him, the Burmy squealed. “Oh my. How’d you get stuck in there, mister?”

“I was being a little reckless, that’s all,” he lied.

The sandy Wormadam shook her head. “Oh, I bet he was getting into some kind of mischief.”

Blinking, the little girl turned to her elder. “Do you know him?”

“No, but I know of his kind. That’s a Mothim, what your male kin evolve into.”

“Pleasure to meet you, my dear cherub,” he said as graciously as he could manage with thorns staring him in the face.

The leafy Wormadam hopped closer to the bush. “I do suppose we ought to free him. It would be a cruel thing to leave a winged Pokemon to thorns.”

“I would be mighty grateful if you did,” Mothim encouraged.

“Then hold still. The thorns won’t trouble us.”

“Not much else I can do but hold still.” Then he stayed quiet as the three ladies hopped up the thorny branches to him. The adults were half his size and could maneuver easier. When they came close, the leafy one took hold of his chest while the sandy one and the girl began picking his wings free. It took a long time to do so, enough that the sun set, but they got him free without tearing his wings up further.

“Brace yourself,” the sandy one said as she jumped forward with him. They dropped to the ground; Mothim cringed as he instinctively spread his wings to slow the fall, but only got new pain for his effort. But the Wormadam got them down safely.

The leafy Wormadam and the Burmy hopped down to them. “Are you gonna be okay?” the little girl asked.

“In time, I suppose,” he replied, dramatically drooping his feelers over his face.

“Once his wings strengthen back up, he’ll probably be back up to no good,” the leafy one said.

“Normally I would take offense to such generalizations. But coming from you gentle ladies, perhaps I am a bit rougher.” He winced as she tapped one of his pierce wounds.

“We might as well camp here,” she went on. “We’ve got some medicine that’ll help you heal, but you’ll need to stay in this spot for the night.”

“Thank you. I’ll pay you for the trouble, I promise.”

“Just don’t go getting us into your trouble.” The sandy one laughed at her friend’s retort.

Yet, no matter how much they said they distrusted him, a few hours got them into friendly small talk. Mothim found out that they were on a multiday trip to get the Burmy evolved. The girl hadn’t decided on what form she wanted to take. At the moment she changed, her current cloak would determine if she would become sandy or leafy. The cloak would also become permanent; right now, it was temporary and she had to fix or remake it every day.

Thinking, he had to try something. “You know, I hear there’s a third form for you fine ladies. It’s a very tough form, but a dainty pink and pretty.”

Burmy was interested. “Really?”

“Really. The leafy form requires leaves and the sandy form requires sand, right? Well the pink form is actually metal, so you need rocks, or bits of metal. If you go into a cave, I’m sure you can find plenty of materials to give yourself a different cloak.”

“That could be nice.”

“It would be permanent,” the leafy Wormadam reminded her.

Mothim acted as if he had a sudden idea. “I know of a cave nearby that might be suitable...”

“Oh, do you mean the Combee’s home?” the sandy one asked.

Darn, she called his bluff. “It might be that one.”

“You’re just looking for an easy way to get honey,” she pointed out.

“Why don’t you just get it from the flowers?” the Burmy asked. “You could fly up to any one you like.”

“I could, but...”

“The Mothims tend to be lazy,” the sandy Wormadam told Burmy. “They go to a huge fuss to get their honey in other ways, though.”

“It’s more of an adventure, right?” he said, but it didn’t impress them. He sighed, then added, “Well at least leave me my hat when you take off tomorrow. And good luck to you, little lady.”

heh. mothim's a pimp.

i like him too

Wow! You get "Exceeds Expectation" for that. Thank you for that great story. I hope to see the young burmy again someday. I want to know which form she finally got.
    If I may make a request, I would like a Magnezone/Probopass entry. You have not done one already, have you?
    Last edited by shac; 17th July 2009 at 4:29 PM.

Sooo, I really do enjoy your One-Shots. What would I have to do if I maybe wanted to write one?

nice story! i also liked the mothim's character. lazy, but crafty!

i noticed one mistake. you say that to get the trash cloak, she could go into a cave, when if she were to go into a cave, shed get the sandy cloak. she would have to go inside a building or in the city to get trash cloak.

“Aw shut it,” Mothim retorted.
    Well the pink form is actually metal,
    “Well at least leave me my hat when you take off tomorrow.
    All three segments need a comma between the first two words.

I loved that Mothim as soon as I read that he had a fedora. XD That and the opening bit reminded me of gang wars in the 1930's, fighting over stuff ... although this was a lot more toned down, of course. Excellent job as usual ^_^

Page 24 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast