Page 31 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokedex One-Shots (PG)

Banette was a guest entry by someone else. I haven't covered it yet. So this one is in a genre I don't normally write in. But I like experimenting.

Edit: But I did notice that I've covered Kricketot, so that got cut from the next entry. Now excuse me while I fire my 'search' feature...

In Process: Budew
    On Deck: Chinchou/Lanturn, Mantyke, Banette
    Reserve: ???/??? (#246-7)

MAWILE AND DELCATTY

Sonja the Delcatty woke up, stretched, sharpened her claws on an old wooden post, then tended to some cleaning. She had no plans, no obligations. Unlike other Pokemon, she had no Master or Trainer. That was exactly what she wanted. She was free to do what she wanted.

However, she wasn’t so sure she wanted to be here. It was a creepy place, an empty fairground. The tents were gone, but a number of small permanent booths remained. Everywhere, there were remains of fairs and celebrations: strings of flags fluttering off posts, some forgotten trash hiding in corners, and signs that were outdated by a few weeks. With the electric lights giving both harsh brightness and deep shadows, it was hard to tell what exactly was out here.

“And I’m hungry,” she thought aloud. She should probably leave the fairgrounds and find somewhere else to stay. If not for the creepiness, then for the lack of food.

Sonja still sniffed around, hopeful that there was some forgotten hot dog or hamburger. Or even bread; she’d eat that now, although she wouldn’t like it so much. But all the food stalls were empty and cleaned, smelling like disinfectant cleaner. While they might not have gotten rid of all the trash, they certainly got rid of the food trash. She might come check the fairgrounds out in a few days, when another fair was set to start. There would be plenty of food then, and plenty of gullible humans to beg from.

Deciding to leave for certain, she walked along the dirt pathways to the exit. She wondered where she could go for some food and shelter. She didn’t want to restrict herself by choosing a home to live in, or a human to live with. There was a store around where she had gotten some good meals from on bad evenings. Could she be a store Pokemon? But then she’d have to stay at the shop. No more wandering around and seeing new things. It was a tough choice.

There was a movement in the shadows that made her freeze. She hadn’t smelled anything warning her of someone approaching. After a second, another Pokemon came out into the light. It had a scent of steel, which was why she had ignored it at first. It stood on two feet to be at eye level with her. Outwardly, it had a smooth flesh-colored armor coat covering most of its body. A long gray steel horn came off the top of its head and hung back like a long ponytail. Despite the natural metal armor, it had large black eyes and a small mouth.

“There’s nothing going on here now, Mawile,” Sonja said. “Might as well go on back home.”

“Ko?” the steel creature asked.

“Humans won’t be back here for a few days. Go home; you never know what kind of creeps are wandering about a place like this.”

“Ko,” he said, holding his hands together in a shy frightened manner. His eyes got watery.

Sonja put her pink nose to the air and tilted her tufted ears back. “What’s a tough Pokemon like you got to fear? And why’ve you got to act cute to get help? You’re metal; you don’t have a cute fur collar, like I do naturally.

The Mawile shuffled closer to her, looking back into the darkness. He may not have had a fur collar, but his expression was cute and harmless looking. Most likely, his wide eyes had something to do with that. “Ko ko?”

Shaking her head, she took a few steps along the path. “I’m not Koko. I’m Sonja. Not too bright, are you? Can you say anything else?”

“Ko…” he said sadly, then started walking after her.

“Figures. What am I supposed to call you then? Ko?”

“Ko?”

“I guess. So then, Ko, know where there’s any food about?”

“Koooo… ko!” He stopped, then waved over to another area of the fairgrounds. Then, seemingly rethinking it, he put his hands together and lowered his head. “Koooo.”

Why’d she have to run into a coward? But if he knew where there was food, then it would be worthwhile to hang out with this Mawile for a night. “Ah, don’t be a sissy. I’m sure whatever’s out there, we can handle it. Or at least, I can. Where’s the chow?”

Ko waved for her to follow him, then went back down the fairgrounds path. He turned left at a crossing, where more permanent stalls were. As they went along, he kept looking from side to side, as if expecting an ambush at any time. His pace was uneven and his steel horns twitched to and fro. And, Sonja wasn’t sure of this, but she thought that the horns, almost grown completely together, seemed to have teeth.

“Geez, don’t have a heart attack,” she said casually. It made him jump forward and turn towards her. “I don’t smell anything worrisome, except maybe a lack of food. And there’s nothing I can hear that’s bad either.”

Although, the lack of any danger signs seemed to be a danger sign in itself. The empty fairgrounds were silent. There should have been some other Pokemon scrounging about in the night. But not even a Flying type was passing overhead. This place hadn’t seemed so bad by the morning’s daylight, but in this electric lit nighttime, something didn’t feel right.

“Kind of lonely out here,” Sonja commented. “I really ought to come back when it’s lively.”

“Ko.” Then the Mawile tripped on something, falling onto his hands and knees. His horns made a solid thump when they hit the ground. Fiddling his hands about to make sure he was okay, he seemed embarrassed at his moment of being a klutz.

“Careful,” she teased, coming up to see what he had tripped on. There was a small metal square in the pathway. When Ko got off it, it lifted up. Some kind of pressure activated device. “Weird thing to be out in the middle of the walkway.”

Without warning, a strange instrument began to play. It was like a flute, but deeper and more mystical in tone. Some chimes accompanied it. While Sonja’s ears went back and Ko got even more tense, a distorted voice began speaking in human words. “Do you seek a guide to your fortune? I see past the veils of mystery.”

The Delcatty looked to the source of the voice and music. It turned out to be just a mechanical performer for the fair crowds. Within a small glass-walled booth, there was a robotic puppet of a Grumpig. With its native dark pearls around its body, it also wore strands of multi-colored pearls around its neck and dangles of multi-colored pearls from its ears.

Sniffing, Sonja swished her tail. “Just a puppet player. Unless the puppet happens to know where some food is. Where’s the chow, robot?”

“Your fortune,” the Grumpig puppet said, slowly blinking its eyes. “You must beware of treachery in new ones… that is what your aura defines. With a small payment, I could take a deeper look into this fortune.”

Sonja would have just passed this off as weird nonsense, but then she saw a flash of gray steel. Her instincts for battle kicking in, she jumped out of the way to face the Mawile. His horns had separated some, making them look even more like enormous jaws with razor-edged teeth. And he had brought them in front of his face instead of holding them behind.

Hissing, she lowered her poise to something more fitting of battle. “What’s this for? Overly superstitious, Ko?”

His eyes narrowed. His shoulders had gone from a pulled-in anxiety to a set-back confidence. “I like to play with my food a bit, ko,” he said in a clear and cool voice. “But ko, Miss Fortune Teller had to ruin things tonight.”

She began pacing around him. He kept his horns between his main body and her. “As much as I appreciate the concept of play, I am not food. Pokemon don’t eat each other.”

He put his paws to his chin, but his smile was sly. “I found that I like my food more intelligent than usual, ko.” He brought his steel horns up, opening them wide. “This will be the end of ko, Sonja the Delcatty.”

When he snapped those toothed horns at her, Sonja rolled to the side. “Fo-or-get it, dearie dangerous demented Ko,” she said in a sing-song voice. “You-u won’t be-e get-ting me-e.”

Ko’s eyes started to look drowsy. As the Sing attack kicked him into dreamland, Sonja turned and bolted. If she went as fast as she could, she could get out of the fairgrounds before the crazy Pokemon could catch up. She considered going to that shop after all. While it would be a less adventurous life, there would be less folks trying to eat her.

Ko stumbled back onto the pressure plate that triggered the Fortune Teller mechanism. “Do you seek to avoid disappointment?” the puppet asked. “I can show you the secret ways.”

Sapphire entry: Don’t be taken in by this Pokemon’s cute face – it’s very dangerous. Mawile fools the foe into letting down its guard, then chomps down with its massive jaws. The steel jaws are really horns that have been transformed.

Ruby entry: Delcatty prefers to live an unfettered existence in which it can do as it pleases at its own pace. Because this Pokemon eats and sleeps whenever it decides, its daily routines are completely random.
    Last edited by Ysavvryl; 24th January 2010 at 4:09 AM.
    Pokedex OS- Still trying to capture every single Pokemon out there in words: 648/718 Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh complete!

Fluer Noir- A story of a black flower, a shameful history, and magic.

Wow, that Mawile was -creepy-... O_o
    I sometimes use "uber" Pokémon. I sometimes calculate stat values. I never use cheating devices. I sometimes try to breed my way to perfection (and maybe fail), and I care about natures to an extent. But I like my Pokémon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
    (Adapted from Tyranitar's philosophy.)

Claims:
    David Tennant
    Viggo Mortensen

Sort of back! Playing through Black 2 and working through my Dex. PM me for inquiries!

Black 2 ID/FC: Cassie 3311 2386 7094

LF: Legends/Events, shinies, Kangaskhan, Smeargle, Miltank, Whismur, Minun, Torkoal, Lileep, Kecleon, Glameow

ALLONS-Y!

<3 Mawile

Unlike other Pokemon, she had no Master or Trainer. That was exactly what she wanted.
    I understood it, but it read oddly.
    "That poison's only strong enough to kill a dead dog"

A boy and his frog, venturing across the lands in search of sister and glory.

Banette was a guest entry by someone else.
    Weird. Me getting off my lazy rear to actually post here, right when I'm mentioned ... is that an LOL, or a WTF?

Anyway, moving onto the latest story to avoid taking up too much space:
    “Humans won’t be back here for a few days. Go home; you never know what kind of creeps are wandering about a place like this.”
    DDT likes irony =D

you don’t have a cute fur collar, like I do naturally."
    Bolded quotation mark should be added.

Mawile was freaky, aka I love it. Excellent work ^_^
    FF.Net profile | Blazing Frost | Project Valentine | River Styx | Hexachromalurgy | Fizzy Bubbles

Latest PV pair: Shedinja/Sylveon - What if the MST3K guys did Roshomon? I think it would go a little something like this.

Well, I'm a little late to be jumping in here it seems, but I was able to read quite a few of your stories and I loved all of them. Also, I have an interesting idea- you should do a story about Darkrai and Drowzee. Yes, the two are related. Drowzee's leaf green entry mentions that it eats dreams, but can become sick if it eats too many bad ones. I bet you could get a good story out of that one!
    Some people think that this blob of writing is not a legit signature.
    However, that is a myth. They busted it on Mythbusters.

Another reason why I just love Mawile.....
    "Awesomeness is a trait gained not genetically, but through hard work and effort ."
    -Kuriboh361

That mawile is one smooth dude. I really thought he was a retard or something. You should do the Dratini line soon.

~Shark out

Dare you face the fearsome wrath of my dragon team?

Please click my egg so he will hatch.

I don't use "uber" Pokemon , I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)

@The Jewel of Life: That is an awesome idea! You might try it yourself. I'll add it, just cause it really grabs me. I always find it fun to see two different authors interpret one idea.

I still don't have anything reserved for Valentine's Day. You can kind of call this for Groundhog's Day.

In process: Chinchou/Lanturn
    On Deck: Mantyke, Banette, Drowzee/Darkrai, Dratini

BUDEW AND LOTAD

It was a quiet sunny morning. The air still had a chill to it, although the snow had all disappeared. In the pond, the ice was mostly gone. Spring was a little ways away, so they just had to endure a little longer. Then the harsh Sinnoh cold would be eased.

By the shore of the pond, a Budew was crouched behind the wind shelter of a rock. He had hibernated for most of the winter, but he really needed the sun. The yellow bud on top of his head was closed, so that he had the maximum amount of sun-absorbing green was exposed. But should the temperature drop, he would be at risk of freezing to death. This was a dangerous time of the year.

A small splash came from the pond. “<Hey, Budew. It’s been a while.>”

He looked over to see a large cupped lilypad floating on the pond. Mostly floating. The closest part was lifted up, showing a pair of round eyes on a dark blue face. Budew bowed. “<Hey Lotad. Doesn’t seem that long. I spent most of it sleeping.>”

“<I spent most of it frozen and sleeping.>”

The flower Pokemon shivered at the thought. “<Ugh. I couldn’t stand that. I was in a hole in the ground.>”

By a twin pair of ripples, he could tell that Lotad was shrugging. “<It’s not too bad to me,>” she said. “<You wanna play now that we’re both awake?>”

“<No, thanks. It’s still too cold for me. The sun's not warm enough for me to open my bud and be active.>”

“<I see. We can just chat.>”

“<About what?>” He tried not to sound cross; Lotad had been a good friend of his last year. However, his kind did not appreciate winter. Not even the very tail end of it. As she said, since she lived in water, her kind could tolerate winter.

“<I dunno, just stuff. I know! When do you plan on evolving?>”

Budew sighed. “<I don’t know when. I can’t say when.>”

Lotad’s lilypad tilted up, showing her curious face. “<Why not?>”

“<Among the Budew, we are told that in order to evolve, we must find a day so wonderful that the sun shines within us. Only then can we turn into a Roselia.>”

“<Until the sun shines within you? Wouldn’t that be painful? The sun is supposedly a great big ball of fire.>”

He fluffed the small petals that hung below his face. “<It’s not literal. It’s some kind of riddle we must solve. I guess we have to get smarter to evolve. But I haven’t gotten that smart yet.>”

Lotad paddled closer, but not onto the shore. She had never come out of the clear pond because of her lilypad. According to her, it hurt to hold it up for long out of water. “<That’s tough. I’ve gotta find some rock apparently, but not until much later. My first evolution just comes with time, I think this summer.>”

“<I have to find a rock for my later evolution too.>”

“<Oh. Sorry to bring it up, then.>”

“<It’s no trouble. Maybe you can help me figure out this riddle. I don’t think today is a wonderful enough day, though. Too cold.>”

Then there came a rumble of a vehicle. Lotad dropped her lilypad to hide. Cautious but more curious, Budew turned to the nearby road. There was a white van coming to a stop by the pond. The driver’s door opened to release an old human man who was on the portly side, with a short gray beard. A thick wool sweater and hat protected him from the weather. “Such a nice brisk morning,” he said. “Lucas, are you ready for the day’s work?”

“Yes, Professor Rowan,” a voice called from the back of the van. There was a boy back there in a red coat, getting something out of their vehicle.

“<It’s just a couple of humans,>” Budew told his friend. “<They don’t seem that bad.>”

“<You sure?>” She tipped her pad up and peeked out at them.

The boy came around the van holding onto two black suitcases. He set them down, then yawned. “Oh… ‘scuse me.”

“Up a little late watching the Championship Battles?” Rowan teased.

Blushing, Lucas twisted his red cap. “Well, umm….”

The older man laughed. “It’s fine. Quite an exciting battle, wasn’t it? Cynthia’s not going to give up her title easily.”

“No she isn’t,” the boy agreed. He went back to the van for more items. “And she has some amazing Pokemon, doesn’t she? I keep wondering where she got them, like the Spiritomb.”

“The ones she has are all native to Sinnoh. Once you get to exploring, you could find them.” Rowan went to help, taking a folding table out of the van. “Then again, she was once one of my assistants, just as you are now. We could ask her where she got them. So which one of my starters do you want? You can have any of the three you’d like.”

“Oh, um… I dunno. I’m still thinking about it.”

“<What’re they doing?>” Budew wondered aloud. “<The humans who want battles usually don’t have this much stuff with them.>”

“<I think I know this deal,>” Lotad replied. “<They take you over to their little station there and give you a treat.>”

“<They give us a treat? And don’t capture us for good? That sounds fishy.>”

She caused ripple-shrugs again. “<Well you do have to let them take you peacefully, if temporarily. And they examine and measure you for some reason. I got the thingie on my leg from them.>” Raising her left front paw up, she showed off the small metal strap that was attached there.

“<But why?>”

“<I dunno. They’re scientiffs, or something like that.>”

“So, do you think we’ll run into that vicious red Gyarados that people are talking about?” Lucas asked, a tone of worry in his voice.

“<What?!>” Lotad squealed. “<There’s a Gyarados in this lake? Where?!>” She dropped her pad back on the water surface and turned about in a fright.

Rowan smiled and shook his head. “I doubt it. I doubt it actually lives here. For you see, a mysterious Pokemon is said to live at the bottom of this lake, a Pokemon that is renowned for being a master illusionist. It’s one of the local legends of this region. I would like to find proof of this legend some day, either to validate or disprove it.”

“<What’d he say?>” Lotad asked, shyly bringing her pad up.

“<He doesn’t think there’s a Gyarados around,>” Budew replied. “<But he suspects the daydream maker who lives on the bottom of the lake.>”

“<Oh. I’ve looked in that cave, but have never been able to enter it. It’s weird like that.>”

Once the humans had their equipment arranged, Rowan handed Lucas a small cloth bag that smelled wonderful, like spiced berries. “Okay, now you need to go round up some specimens. This bait should keep them calm and lure them into following you. But if they act aggressive, stay back and just tell me what kind it was.”

“What kind of Pokemon should I get?” Lucas asked.

“Whatever’s around that’ll cooperate.” He pointed to the side of the pond where Budew and Lotad were. “There’s a pair there that’s been observing us set up. Try getting them to come over.”

The boy looked at them. “A pair? I only see a Budew and their pollen always makes me sneeze.”

“It won't bother you this time of year. Look more carefully.”

“<What should we do?>” Budew asked.

“<Don’t worry about it,>” Lotad said, showing her left paw again. “<They should treat us nice, if they’re like the last guys who did this.>”

Lucas walked up to them, slowing as he got close. “Hi Budew. It’s okay, I’m not gonna hurt you. We just want to see you for a…” his eyes had been wandering between looking at the rosebud Pokemon and looking at other things: the grass, the rock, the water. Then he saw the eyes underneath the lilypad. “Oh, it’s a… I’m not sure, but it’s in the water.”

“That would be a Lotad,” Rowan called over. “But it won’t come out of the water on its own. Try catching it with your hands.”

“Um, okay.” He came to the pond and stepped in. He wore black boots and gloves, Budew noticed. “Hey, could I... take you out for a bit, little Lotad? It’ll be okay. You can come too, Budew.”

“<Mind the lilypad,>” Lotad said, then swam closer so Lucas could pick her up. The boy did so, stumbling a bit when he had her weight fully. As he took her to the table, Budew shook himself, then hopped after them.

“This lilypad weighs more than the rest of its body,” Lucas said as he placed her on a plastic mat on the table.

“That’s why they live in the water,” Rowan said. “Their ancestors and the rest of their evolution line come out of water easier… hmm, seems this one’s been tagged already.”

Budew hopped onto an extra chair in time to see the old man use something on Lotad’s arm thingie. “How’d you know it was a Pokemon?” Lucas asked.

“The lilypad,” he answered, tapping it. “You don’t see those plants this time of year. This one just came out of hibernation, most likely. Her friend too.” Rowan paused, then ran his hand along Lotad’s pad. “And the pad itself is a whole circle. The next stage for this Pokemon, Lombre, has a small wedge in the lilypad, so it can be identified even while underwater. And the Lombre’s body is larger and stronger, able to support the pad. She can’t. Take the notes quick so we can get her back.”

“Right.” As Lotad said, they took measurements and observations. Then they gave her a savory smelling bread they called a poffin. Once she was finished eating it, Lucas took her back to the pond.

Then Rowan offered his hand to Budew. “Did you want a turn? It doesn’t take long, as you’ve seen.”

Once Lotad was in the water, it was obvious that these humans had no intentions of keeping them. It still seemed kind of fishy, but at least harmless. Budew hopped onto the man’s hand and let himself be examined. At the end of it, he got a poffin treat and a ‘tag’ metal thingie attached to his right leg. Then they let him return to the pondside, where his friend was waiting.

“<See?>” she said. “<That was it. Humans aren’t that bad. Strange, yes, but not bad.>”

“<At least most of them are like that,>” Budew replied. Rowan and Lucas stayed for several hours, making observations and giving other Pokemon tags. Then, as another pair of young humans came into the pond’s area, the scientiffs packed up and left.

Budew Diamond entry: Over the winter, it closes its bud and endures the cold. In spring, the bud opens and releases pollen.

Sapphire entry: Lotad is said to have dwelled on land before. However, this Pokemon is thought to have returned to water because the leaf on its head grew large and heavy. It now lives by floating atop the water.
    Last edited by Ysavvryl; 3rd February 2010 at 5:58 PM.
    Pokedex OS- Still trying to capture every single Pokemon out there in words: 648/718 Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh complete!

Pretty good, Ysavvryl. just one small thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysavvryl View Post
    Rowan went to help, taking a folding table out of the van. “Then again, she was once one of my assistants
    thought i should point that out
    "Nothing is impossible- The word itself says, 'I'm possible!'"- Audrey Hepburn

One crazy trip: The adventures of a beret-clad boy and his best friend the sky. One day I will learn how to forum-format at a decent speed. Promise.

Nice. And just remember, I do read every one of these stories, even if I don't reply after each one.

Also, I'd like to suggest an Ekans/Koffing story.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

I liked it. But, aren't poffins just berries mixed up? A bread made of berries would be pretty ugly :/

@IJuggler: Poffins are referred to as bread in the games. I like to think of them like muffins. Blueberry muffins are not ugly.

I was thinking today about all the subjects I've covered in this thread: pirates, ninjas, dragons, princesses, serial killers, ordinary folks, scientists, heroes... I haven't gotten around to zombies, though.

In Process: Mantyke
    On Deck: Banette, Drowzee/Darkrai, Dratini, Ekans/Koffing

CHINCHOU AND LANTURN

The view outside the window was dark. Sometimes they had the outer lamps on, but not tonight. Instead, all that could be seen in the darkness were twinkling spots of light. But they weren’t the stars of the sky. These were the deep sea stars, the Lanturns who lit up the dark ocean depths with their brilliant antenna light. Those moving star lights could be seen from three miles up at the surface. Or so Chipper’s trainer said.

Thus, the Chinchou had no idea how far away his kin were right now. They could be just outside the underwater research lab, or they could be miles away. He twitched his two antennas together to cause a bright spark. It was a greeting. But were there Chinchous or Lanturns in view of his hello? He couldn’t tell.

“Chipper! We’re ready for the experiment.”

“<Coming,>” he replied, turning from the window and swimming towards his trainer. A globe of water around him kept his gills working properly. It went wherever he did, so being in this environment of air wasn’t troublesome. Maybe a bit lonely from time to time. There weren’t many of his kind inside the lab.

His trainer was a man of red hair and thick glasses. He wore a white lab coat with an insignia of the TriTech Research Group, the blue one that was used at this undersea station. With a smile, he scratched Chipper’s chin. “Today, we’re doing a full test of the teleport gate system. It’s a derivative of Bill’s wireless trade transfer system. But while you can only trade one Pokemon at a time through that, this gate system should allow for transport of multiple beings, including trainers with their Pokemon. That is, transferring them safely without accidental blendings and body switching. You ready to go with me, Chipper?”

“<I know what we’re doing,>” he replied. “<I helped you with it. So it should work just fine.>”

“Of course, you may already know how this system works, given you’ve assisted me this whole time. I wish they would hurry up with the Pokemon translation device. Anyhow, although it should work perfectly, I need to go over the safety protocols,” he rolled his eyes. “For insurance reasons.”

“<Of course,>” Chipper said.

But as they were going over that, another scientist came in the room. “Dr. Mitchell, something great has happened! You know about the Pokerus injections?”

“Yes, where all the injected subjects fell into death-like comas,” he replied. He and Chipper didn’t think much of that experiment. It took a modified version of the natural Pokerus virus and combined it with Super Vitamins, hoping to attain new strengths for all Pokemon. However, it promised to put too much of an advantage into the hands of wealthy but lazy trainers, denying the natural efforts and hard work of the rest.

“The subjects are beginning to revive and all current signs point to the injections as being a success. You want me to tell you when they put them to the battle test?”

Mitchell waved his peer off. “No thanks. I’m running tests of the transport gates and since me and Chipper are the only ones on this highly important project, we’re going to be busy.”

“Suit yourself.” He then left.

“<And our project will be helpful to more people,>” Chipper said, showing his support through a flicker signal that his trainer understood.

“Yeah, you don’t need some experimental drug to be great.” Mitchell looked over his checklist, adjusting his glasses. “Let’s get back to this.” They finished their safety protocol, noted all the current settings, and made a last check for instabilities. Then Mitchell and Chipper went into the transport gate.

And that was when disaster struck.

-+-

Chipper appeared in a different lab than before. That was to be expected. And he seemed to be himself, still a Chinchou with Mitchell still a human. That was what they had hoped for. The lab they entered was completely wrecked, with only the red emergency lights active. That was not planned for.

The sea Pokemon looked up to his trainer. Mitchell put his hand to his chest. “Well, I’m still breathing… but what happened here?” He went to a computer and turned it on.

Swimming around the room, Chipper tried to figure out what had happened. Brightening his antennas for light, he found blood splatter. Human, with some Pokemon too. And the damage was all caused by violence: jagged edges caused by claws ripping metal apart, holes created by a Poison-types acids, holes created by a gun, scorch marks from fire… at least none of the holes pierced the armor of the research lab. Then Mitchell would be in trouble.

A bright light pierced the dark room. Chipper looked out the window and saw a Lanturn passing by. Since they were separated by protective armor, he used light codes to speak to her. “<Hello out there, Lanturn.>”

The blue fish stopped and peered into the window. Her antenna flickered in response. “<Hello in there, Chinchou. Something odd has happened in there.>”

“<I know, but I do not know what. Do you?>”

“<No. It was a moon cycle since this place went dark. There was a lot of noise coming from inside at first. It is quiet.>”

A month since it went dark? Something must have gone wrong with the gate experiment. And some other experiment as well. “<My human and I may have to leave,>” he told her.

“<Should I stay to give you light?>”

“<Yes, thank you.>” He went back to searching.

It took half an hour, but Mitchell finally turned from the computer. “Chipper, is there a working data drive around? Something awful has happened.”

“<I saw one earlier.>” He went to another desk and looked in a drawer. After nosing the drawer open more, he was able to take the drive out with his mouth and take it to Mitchell.

“Thanks,” the scientist said, putting it into the computer. “Something messed up with the gate system. It’s a month since we stepped into it.”

“<So she was right.>” He looked back out to the window, where the Lanturn was watching patiently.

“But even worse,” Mitchell went on, setting up files to transfer, “the Pokerus program got terribly out of hand. The injected Pokemon did become very strong. However, they also became uncontrollable and savage. Injuries don’t even stop them from attacking.” He rested his chin on his hand, then added, “It looks like they’ve managed to create Pokemon zombies.”

“<Zombies?>”

“The injected Pokemon are able to infect other Pokemon by biting them. At least that’s what Reynolds theorized. He also notes that the escape shuttle had an unexpected malfunction, so they were unable to escape when the zombies started killing them.” He looked to Chipper. “And since his notes ended a week ago, with the shuttle still registered as docked here, it seems that he, and all the other staff, was killed.”

“<I’ll protect you,>” Chipper said. “<But… zombies… this won’t be a usual battle.>”

Mitchell had grown quiet, tapping his fingers on the desk. It was a sign that he was nervous, trying to think of some plan. In all their time together, Chipper had never seen him panic. “If you could, would you ask your peer out there to try traveling with us? Her light will be helpful if only the emergency lights are on.”

“<Right.>” However, there wasn’t a word in the light code for killer zombies. Chipper went up to the window. “<Lanturn, may I ask that you give us your light as we travel through here?>”

“<Sure, I will help,>” she replied. “<What is going on?>”

“<Pokemon have turned into cold killers,>” he said. It was the closest thing he could come up with in code.

“<Bad things. Okay. Where are you going?>”

“<Escape to the surface.>”

She closed her eyes, thinking. Then she opened them and looked around. “<I will try to follow,>” she replied.

Chipper went back to his trainer. “<She’ll come,>” he said, with an affirmative flicker.

“Good. Thank her for me.” He waited a minute, then took the data drive out. “I took as much as I could about the on-going projects and the failures. Now we have to hope we can figure out the shuttle malfunction. Let’s go, Chipper.”

After giving a nod, he flickered out to the Lanturn, “<We thank you. I will try to lead.>”

Mitchell and Chipper left the room. The whole lab station was a mess. Where the once-familiar halls had been bland but reassuring, they were now dangerous and disturbing. There were skeletons around, both human and Pokemon. When Chipper swam closer to one, he noticed teeth marks on it. Something had eaten this human’s flesh after he or she had died. Feeling disgusted, Chipper swam back to Mitchell and stayed close by his side.

For the most part, all they could hear was the hum of the life support systems, Mitchell’s footsteps, and the occasional snap from Chipper’s antennas. There were occasional other noises: metallic creaks, other footsteps (maybe), a flutter of wings. While the Chinchou stayed alert for any strange Pokemon about, none of them had appeared yet.

Outside of the halls, the Lanturn flickered a message. “<Something approaches from your right.>”

Chipper was on Mitchell’s left side, so he swam ahead to guard his trainer. There were slight scraping sounds coming from that hall. Noticing the change, Mitchell slowed some, looking more defensive. Something, possibly those zombies, was just ahead.

A Cloyster appeared in that hall. Its hard outer shell had a severe crack in it and it was lacking the water shield that most captive Water-types had. Once it saw them, it growled roughly and fired a dozen of its spikes at them. Mitchell stepped back in time. Chipper avoided them and sent a sparkling ball of electric energy at it.

“I think that was one of the test subjects,” Mitchell said. “Chipper, just paralyze it so we can get out of here.”

“<All right.>” After avoiding another volley of shell spikes, he adjusted his electrical flow, then built up a wave around him. Slamming himself into the Cloyster, he had it unable to move. Still, he swam back to Mitchell’s side quickly.

The human and Chinchou ran down the hall leading to the escape shuttle. As they passed the Cloyster, it growled into a cry of rage. Not long after, there was the sound of an explosion from the insane Pokemon. Chipper wondered what the point of that was, but felt it was safer to keep on the path to escape than to stop and examine the zombies.

When they got to the escape shuttle’s location, the room was dark. Lanturn had probably lost them in the crossing without windows, Chipper thought. He checked around for any enemies while Mitchell went to the escape shuttle. As there didn’t seem to be anything lurking yet, the Chinchou went to the largest window and flickered as brightly as he could. The zapping of his antennas was enough to make his spine tingle. But he hoped…

Light came into the room as Lanturn appeared on the other side. “<Good, you are okay,>” she said. “<How is your human?>”

“<He is fine. He is checking our ship. Could you move down and to the left please?>”

“<Show me where.>” The two Pokemon went down until they found a spot that illuminated Mitchell’s work.

“They already tried a number of things,” Mitchell murmured. “I can guess what based on what’s here… thanks Chipper, and say thanks to her again. This could take a while.”

About an hour later…

Chipper watched the entrance. Three of the zombie Pokemon were here now: a Golbat, a Hypno, and the Cloyster from before. While they were staying away for now, they were fighting with each other. That could draw attention of any others that remained. However, the three all looked to be in bad shape: thin, many wounds, looking exhausted. Maybe they were stronger than normal, but if they haven’t eaten in a while, they wouldn’t be up to full strength. And they would be more likely to kill him and Mitchell for food.

“Chipper!” Mitchell waved him over. “This might be tough to work with, but I think the problem is outside. Can you ask the Lanturn to help us again?”

“<I can try.>”

“Good. I’ll have to come up with some reward for her. The shuttle appears to be working fine, as does everything else in here, so it might be the outer launch mechanism. If I could just know what you say for certain…” He paused, then went on, “We’ll try. There should be a sensor outside the airlock hatch and a silver-colored box with the machinery inside. If they’re damaged, we could be stuck.”

“<If I knew the color of the sensor thing, that would help.>” Still, he went to the window and figured out the coding for the request. “<Is there a silver box and a blinking light out by this place?>” He pointed with a fin to the airlock hatch.

“<I will see.>” She drifted away, making the room darker. Chipper used his own antennas to keep some light. When the Lanturn came back, she said, “<Box is there. The light is covered by seaweed. Should I remove that?>”

“<Yes please, and many thanks.>”

After a few minutes, Mitchell got a smile on looking at the status screens. “Great! It looks like the safety sensor got covered up, so the computer felt it was more dangerous to leave than stay. Let’s get out of here before those ones notice.”

He nodded, but went to the window while his trainer prepared the shuttle. “<We can get out now. Could you meet us at the surface?>”

“<Yes. I will follow.>”

“<The ship will lead.>”

“Come on,” Mitchell called from the shuttle. Chipper swam inside so the door could be shut.

Upon reaching the surface, Mitchell opened up the hatch and brought out a small radio. The main unit on the escape shuttle seemed to be malfunctioning. Under the starry sky, the dark ocean waters spread to all horizons save one: a patch of land to the northwest was visible. While the human tried to communicate with land, the Lanturn popped her head above water. “<I hope no one else got left behind,>” she said.

“<They all got killed by Pokemon zombies,>” Chipper replied.

Her eyes widened in surprise. “<Pokemon zombies? How strange. Can they get out of there?>”

He thought. “<I don’t think so. Maybe the Cloyster, if a break appears in the station walls. But they were constructed not to break, and held up even when he exploded.>”

On checking the atmosphere, Mitchell looked down to see the Lanturn there. He smiled, then slipped down onto the fin of the shuttle to pat her on the head. “Thank you very much, Lanturn. We wouldn’t have been able to get out without your help. I’m afraid there’s not much I can give you as thanks, unless you wish to come along with us.”

“<I could?>” She looked up at Chipper.

He rapped his antennas together. “<It’s been a while, but the land is a neat place to visit.>”

She smiled. “<Sure. Just so long as we don’t run into any zombies.>”

Sapphire entry: Chinchou’s two antennas are filled with cells that generate strong electricity. This Pokemon’s cells create so much electrical power, it even makes itself tingle slightly.

DPP entry: Lanturn’s light can shine up from great depths. It is nicknamed ‘The Deep Sea Star’.

I liked it. I expected Lanturn to become a zombie. You definitely should've done that

For one, at the end you had Chinchou refer to Pokemon zombies, when earlier in the chapter you said there wasn't a light signal for it. Seems odd, unless tey were actually talking at the surface.

Also, depending on the depth of the lab, wouldn't Mitchell need some sort of depressurizing? Or did you mean for the story to end off with Mitchell's lungs exploding out of his chest cavity in a messy, gory way?

EEEEEEE! That was...fantastic.
    Scared the heck outta me, though. Keep writing!
    Hacks are Pokemon too. If you believe hacks are Pokemon and don't deserve to be shunned because of what they are copy and paste this in your signature. Started by The_Shuppeteer_.

Ash: "Hey Pikachu, what happened? I ran to go take a piss and Mewtwo and Mew attacked me."

Misty: So that was what you were doing??!

--Quote from Pokemons the Abridged Movie

zombies
    YES. You pulled this off brilliantly, especially with such unlikely Pokemon - if anything, I might've expected some mystical undersea dancing from Chinchou. But this is all the better for being unexpected. And with the setting, those descriptions of skeletons and violence ... it just adds to the win. Although, a Cloyster trying to bite something puts weird images in my head. XD

Keep up the good work ^_^
    FF.Net profile | Blazing Frost | Project Valentine | River Styx | Hexachromalurgy | Fizzy Bubbles

Latest PV pair: Shedinja/Sylveon - What if the MST3K guys did Roshomon? I think it would go a little something like this.

Can I request Drifblim/Drifloon? This is an awesome thread!
    X:

@IJuggler: Well yeah, that would be realistic... but when have zombie stories ever been realistic? Yeah, I know, there's some out there. It's just for fun.

@Drifblim25: Hi! I already got Drifloon (it was with Umbreon). I'll add Drifblim, though.

Ever wonder what my creative process is like? This story is sort of a sample. Yay metafiction!

In Process: Banette
    On Deck: Drowzee/Darkrai, Ekans/Koffing, Dratini, Drifblim

MANTYKE

Ysavvryl: Hmm, another toughie. The obvious match is Remoraid, which was already covered. Let’s see…

In the cold waters of Sinnoh, a little Mantyke soared underneath the waves. His wing fins helped him to glide along the currents at high speeds. But he wanted to go even faster. Feeling the conditions of the water with his antennae, he shifted down and to the right, catching a faster current. After taking this ride for several minutes, he sharply turned upward and broke out of the ocean’s surface. He caught a breeze and glided through the air now, squealing in delight. Several nearby swimmers saw him and laughed with joy at the little Pokemon’s antics.

Inner Critic: HOLD IT!
    Ysavvryl: What? I’m just getting started.
    Critic: It’s dumb already.
    Ysavvryl: It’s only one paragraph in. I’m just playing with the Pokedex entries.
    Critic: It’s just some little Pokemon playing around. It’s going nowhere. Get into gear.
    Ysavvryl: But he’s so cute!
    Mantyke: Yay!
    Ysavvryl: And see, he’s having such fun. Just roll with it and we’ll see where it goes.
    Critic: I don’t like it.
    Ysavvryl: I can stick you in your little mental prison again…
    Critic: Okay fine. Grumble grumble.

Mantyke crashed back into the water gleefully, then swam back the way he’d come. It was slower, as he was going against the current. When he got into a good position, he caught the fast current again, then leapt out of the water to glide closer to the swimmers. However, they had started a Pokemon battle between a Seaking and a Pelliper. Mantyke wasn’t interested in fighting. He got hurt during fights more often than he got hurt while playing. When he landed back in the water, he caught the fast current and headed south.

After a while of gliding in and out of the water, Mantyke started to get bored. Playing by himself was okay, but now he wanted to play with somebody else. He looked around, eventually finding a Tentacruel. Smiling, he swam up to the jellyfish Pokemon and called out cheerfully, “Hey, hey, come play with me.”

Critic: This is still dumb.
    Ysavvryl: What’s your problem now?
    Critic: It’s starting to sound like some little kid’s storybook.
    Ysavvryl: And the problem with that is…?
    Critic: Most of your readers are old enough to not be interested in preschool stories!
    Mantyke: I like those stories.
    Ysavvryl: He’s a baby Pokemon, for crying out loud. A storybook format fits him. But then I might want to really simplify the language later on.
    Critic: Grumble grumble.

Tentacruel snorted. “Play? That’s for kids and babies, like you. I‘m not interested in playing.” He then floated off into the dark depths.

Ysavvryl: Gotcha.
    Critic: Grumble grumble.
    Mantyke: *laughs*

Mantyke pouted. “Aw…” But then he reminded himself to not give up. There were lots of Pokemon in the ocean. Surely one of them would want to play. He swam on.

Next, he encountered an Octillery. The red octopus Pokemon was swimming along in search of something. “Pardon me,” she said.

He grinned. “Hey, hey, come play with me!”

But she shook her head. “Not right now, sorry. Go find some of my unevolved kin; they usually play with the likes of you.” She then continued her search, jetting through the blue waters.

Disappointed but not deterred, Mantyke swam on. Eventually, he spotted a different tint of blue in the ocean. He swam closer and realized that it was a Pokemon. And not just any Pokemon, but the biggest and largest Pokemon ever, a Wailord.

Critic: Hold on a moment. Are there even Wailords in that area? Where are you setting this anyhow?
    Ysavvryl: The water passage to the Elite Four. I’m pretty sure that’s where you find Mantykes.
    Critic: But what about Wailords?
    Ysavvryl: I dunno. But I’m not changing it! It’s funny.
    Critic: No it’s not.
    Ysavvryl: You don’t find anything funny.
    Critic: And why are you still on this flimsy plot of finding a playmate?
    Ysavvryl: It’s the rule of three. He has to run into three Pokemon to ask. And since it’s a rule, you can’t argue against it.
    Critic: Fine, but get onto something more relevant after.

Now delighted, Mantyke called out as loudly as he could, “Mr. Wailord! Hey, hey, come play with me!”

“HMMMM?” the giant Pokemon said, shifting his head left to right. “WHO’S SPEAKING TO ME?”

“It’s me, Mantyke!” he yelled. “I want someone to play with!”

“I DON’T SEE YOU,” Wailord replied. “I’M SORRY. I WOULDN’T MIND PLAYING WITH YOU BUT IF I CAN’T SEE YOU, I MIGHT HURT YOU BY ACCIDENT. NOT TODAY.”

“Ooooh. Well, have a nice day anyhow.”

“YOU TOO, LITTLE ONE.” Wailord then swam on, creating a wake so powerful that it threw off Mantyke’s directions for a second.

Saddened, Mantyke sighed. He wasn’t having much luck finding someone to play with, and now it didn’t seem as fun to play on his own. He wondered where his kin were. Sooner or later, he had to run into another Mantyke. So he swam on.

Then, after he passed through the shadow of a boat, he got hit on the head with a beer bottle.

Critic: Stop right there! I’ve got you now.
    Ysavvryl: Huh? I was getting into a good trance there…
    Critic: If you’re going to have a storybook feel, you can’t just throw in a beer bottle.
    Ysavvryl: Nobody’s gonna drink out of it! It’s empty, I swear.
    Critic: You still can’t have it in there. It implies that somebody was drinking, probably whoever’s in the boat.
    Ysavvryl: I know some guys who drink while fishing. I don’t do that, but…
    Critic: Can’t have it.
    Ysavvryl: Okay, fine.

Then, after he passed through the shadow of a boat, he got hit on the head with a glass bottle.

Ysavvryl: Well?
    Critic: It could still be a beer bottle.

Then, after he passed through the shadow of a boat, he got hit on the head with a glass soda bottle.

Ysavvryl: Happy now?
    Critic: No.
    Mantyke: Are you ever happy, Mr. Critic?
    Ysavvryl: No, critics are never happy. But at least I can move on with the story.

Then, after he passed through the shadow of a boat, he got hit on the head with a glass soda bottle. “Owie,” he said, wishing his fins could bend around so he could rub his head. Since he couldn’t do that, he grabbed the bottle and swam up to the surface. There was a single fisherman in the small boat, so Mantyke threw the bottle back at him. “Hey, don’t go dropping your trash on us!”

“Ow!” the man said, after the bottle hit him on the elbow. He turned to the Mantyke and glowered. “That was uncalled for.”

“No it wasn’t. You hit me with that bottle.”

“I didn’t see you under there,” the fisherman said.

Critic: Why are the human and Pokemon speaking to each other normally? They shouldn’t be able to!
    Ysavvryl: This is one of those exceptions. Plenty of kid storybooks have humans and animals talking, so it’s not like it’s new.
    Critic: And what’s with the sudden anti-littering message?
    Ysavvryl: You wanted a more relevant plot.
    Critic: But you haven’t shown any indication of an environmentalist theme in this story yet! Not even a mention of ‘pristine waters’ or ‘trash troubles’. It just came up out of nowhere. This story is utterly weak and stupid. You should trash it and write something entirely different. It is in no way entertaining and…
    Ysavvryl: Hey Mantyke.
    Mantyke: Yeah, what?
    Ysavvryl: I’m going to ask something a bit unusual of you. Here’s what you’re gonna do next.

Mantyke frowned at him. “You is bad man. You no can has cookie. The sign sayz no litterin’! And the Walrein sayz to return his bukkit.”

Critic: What the fudge was that?!
    Ysavvryl: LOLcat.
    Mantyke: That was funny!
    Critic: That wasn’t proper English, or even a proper half-language! It was… was….
    Ysavvryl: Okay, let’s finish the story while the critic is stumped.
    Mantyke: Yeah!
    Ysavvryl: But we have to redo that line.
    Mantyke: Awwww.

Mantyke frowned at him. “There’s lots of Pokemon in the ocean, so you could have hit anybody! You could have hit the Wailord.”

“There’s Wailords around here?” He looked around the waters, searching for surface signs.

“You’re gonna pay for messing up the water.” He then dove back under the surface.

But what could he do? He was just a little Pokemon, not big enough to capsize the boat like the Wailord could have. He wasn’t too good with attacks, so he couldn’t hit the fisherman like the Octillery could have. And he wasn’t intimidating or sly, so he couldn’t scare him off like the Tentacruel could have. What could he do?

Watching the boat, Mantyke saw the fisherman’s line drop back into the water. A Magikarp came up, investigating the tasty-smelling bait. Then he knew what to do. Mantyke swam up to the Magikarp. “Don’t take it!” he cried out.

“But it leads to a Trainer,” Magikarp pointed out. “Trainers make you strong.”

“Yes, but he doesn’t respect the water,” Mantyke argued. “He dumped his old glass onto my head.”

“Did he? That’s not right.”

“Help me tell everybody around not to come to this guy, all right?”

With the Magikarp’s agreement, Mantyke swam around and informed other sea Pokemon of the troublesome human. No ocean Pokemon would go with a Trainer who willfully disrespected the water. And thus, the fisherman didn’t catch anything that day.

Mantyke: And good wins out over the polluters!
    Ysavvryl: That’s right. Thanks for working with me, Mantyke.
    Mantyke: It was fun, so I’ll say thanks too. Thank you!
    Ysavvryl: You’re welcome.
    Mantyke: But what about your inner critic?
    Ysavvryl: It’ll be back in true form shortly. It always recovers. But I have other ways of making it shut up.

Mantyke Diamond entry: A friendly Pokemon that captures the subtle flows of seawater using its two antennae.

YESSS! That was so funny! Especially the lolcat references (I love canhascheezburger.com).
    The critic was a fun add-on, too. I'll look forward to the Banette one.
    Hacks are Pokemon too. If you believe hacks are Pokemon and don't deserve to be shunned because of what they are copy and paste this in your signature. Started by The_Shuppeteer_.

Ash: "Hey Pikachu, what happened? I ran to go take a piss and Mewtwo and Mew attacked me."

Misty: So that was what you were doing??!

--Quote from Pokemons the Abridged Movie

I liked it. I definitely felt the inner critic, too :P Glass soda bottle looks awkward in small sentences!

I especially liked when you pulled together the supposedly useless mentions of Tentacruel/Octillery/Wailord. Those sorts of endings are always fun to read, because you can't really expect the exact ending based on them.

/ramble

Can I sign up for the PM list? I like these alot!
    Mantyke frowned at him. “You is bad man. You no can has cookie. The sign sayz no litterin’! And the Walrein sayz to return his bukkit.”
    Now that was awesome
    X:

loving the LOLcats. especially the reference to the LOLrus. use moar LOLcats from nao on!
    Done with Serebiiforums. Don't try contacting me. Me posting will be a very rare occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysavvryl
    Ever wonder what my creative process is like? This story is sort of a sample. Yay metafiction!
    Actually... :

The idea itself is quite... strange to me. Writing about writing? And with the comedic view. Then the Wailord, the environmentalist message (I had never laughed so hard at water pollution since Lisa “reformed” Mr. Burns in The Simpsons) and the lolcats as the cherry on top? Man, that completely is relevant to my interests...

As a matter of fact, after three readings I could swear the dialogue went like this:

Critic: What the fudge was that?!
    Ysavvryl: LOLcat.
    Mantyke: That was funny!
    Critic: That wasn’t proper English, or even a proper half-language! What is this, I don't even-
    Ysavvryl: Okay, let’s finish the story while the critic is stumped.
    Mantyke: Yeah!
    Ysavvryl: But we have to redo that line.
    Mantyke: Awwww.
    Ahem... anyways, as for some of the previous stories, I felt Lanturn's tl;dr (seriously, I'm not just memeing around), maybe because of the zombie stuff. Yeah, zombies somehow bore me. To death.

Ledian story had a nice preapocalyptic touch to it, with Jirachi looking a bit ****** of, if anything, with the issue. Great is the might of the city to have sent it to chase the boy, after all.

Bayleef+Stantler one was a simple and pretty story-- until the hunter in Mightyena hide, that came of a bit as a surprise. I felt the hunter running away when Houndoom attacked a bit strange, wasn't he so close to his goal? But anyways, it helped the story.

And the Cradily story was fun to read. I had been expecting it for a while but hadn't got in the mood to review 'til now. You are right in that most of Cradily's entries are not exactly suitable for a nice story. The FR/LG entries in particular are a bit nightmarish when thought about for too long. But you made it into a comical story what with the little geographical detail that Lugia lives in Johto-- an ending I wasn't expecting. Also the idea of a Cradily who wants to fly was to me hillariously bizarre (considering that they can do something akin to that while in water).

I‘m glad that you wrote about Cradily, though, because that reminds me I have a story with a Lileep to update. With any luck, he will soon evolve.

Have a good time and I wish you best of lucks with the entries you are going to do next.

Requests? I have none, and most important I'm a bit lost on what Pokémon have not been requested yet. Just in case, I'm going to request Ivysaur (one of the two, I think, starter lines not having starred yet!) and Linoone.

All in all a good work, and I hope to be seeing you soon!
    Solovino's Sig
    Writing what the Pokémon canon lacks since Jun 2010!

Fics» Sixth -- Playfield -- Cuasi Legendario (Spanish)

Research» Nidoran! and other Pokémon for PEFE
    — — ★ — —
    Banner by Hydro_King

Heh. I have to be sparing with my use of LOLcat, though, so I don't get in trouble. But every now and then, it's fun to throw in unexpectedly. And thanks for the long review, solovino!

So, I never got a specific request for Valentines Day. Or the Chinese New Year, which happens to be this day too! I didn't even remember that. I decided to do a holiday themed story based on the Pokemon next in line. Which happened to be Banette. Yikes. Well, I could have already done Banette and wound up on the next one for this holiday... So here you go, a Valentine Day themed story about Banette.

In Process: Drowzee/Darkrai
    On Deck: Ekans/Koffing, Dratini, Drifblim, Ivysaur, Linoone

BANETTE

A teenaged boy came into the house; he wore a brown jacket over a white shirt with black pants in an almost but not successful attempt to look nice. He smiled nervously at the man who had opened the door. “Good afternoon, Mr. Price. I’m Jacob.”

“Afternoon, Jacob,” he replied in a gruff voice, while he shook hands with the teen. “Iris should be down in a few minutes. Would you take a seat?” He offered one of the chairs at the kitchen table while he sat in another one.

“All right,” Jacob said, sitting down nervously to the inevitable ‘are you worthy of dating my daughter’ grilling session. He looked around the kitchen and found a strange doll sitting on the kitchen counter.

It was in such poor shape that it was almost a sad thing, if it weren’t so creepy. The fabric of its body was visibly old, thin in patches and stained in others. Covering that was a white dress with a rainbow array of polka dots, only it was ripped and apparently chewed at one point. Its red yarn hairs were frayed or missing, while one black button eye was loose, tilting off the face. For some strange reason, it had a red zipper strap for a smile and a wide red ribbon bow around its neck.

Somehow, the doll was watching Jacob. He looked away, but the whole time he spoke with Mr. Price, the teen knew it was still watching him. It made him anxious for Iris to come downstairs so they could leave. Really, the doll made him more nervous than his girlfriend’s father. The doll noticed, but stayed where it was.

“Maria!” a girl’s voice rang through the house. “Where are you?”

To the boy’s surprise, the rag doll lifted off the counter and changed shape. It now had a sack-like black body, with a round head and tubes for pigtails. The Banette still had a zipper for a mouth and a red ribbon bow, though. Making an eerie laugh, she floated to a doorway.

A girl in a blue dress came into the kitchen. “Oh, there you are sweetie.” She took the Banette into one arm, then gave a broad smile to the boy. “Hi Jacob! It’s good to see you.”

He smiled back. “Hi Iris. You look really nice today.”

“Thanks. I hope you don’t mind Maria coming with us. She’s with me everywhere, you know.”

“That’s fine. Are you ready to go?”

As she nodded, her father added, “Make sure to be back by eight.”

“Sure thing,” Jacob agreed. “It was good meeting you, Mr. Price.”

They went some goodbye exchanges, but as the two teens went out the door, the father mouthed to the Pokemon, “Keep them in line.”

Since the Banette’s mouth was always zipped into a smile, she blinked, then looked out to the boy’s car. It wasn’t anything impressive, just a practical vehicle for a young driver. That was a plus for this one’s chances at staying Iris’ boyfriend, at least with respect to her parents’ opinion. And while Maria did belong to Iris, she knew to keep on the good side of the parents.

The date started out with a movie. He paid for the tickets while she paid for the soda and popcorn. For herself, Maria didn’t much care for what movie was playing. But she did always like the darkened theater. The Banette sat herself on the back of the chair next to Iris.

“She was a real sorry-looking doll when I came in the house,” Jacob commented while the lights were on. “I didn’t recognize her until you called her name and she changed to her normal look.”

Iris scratched Maria’s head, making the Pokemon coo contentedly. “Yeah, she does that from time to time. That little red-headed ragdoll is the one she possessed in order to evolve.”

“She had to possess a doll? Weird. My Pokemon just had to get strong enough.”

“Shuppets evolve that way, by taking over a discarded doll. And even if they take a nice-looking one, they tend to make it look worse.”

“Huh. They’re kind of creepy. But then I guess Ghost Pokemon are all that way.”

“To most people. But when they love you and give you big soulful eyes, they’re just so adorable.” Iris laughed and patted Maria.

Interested in the boy’s response, the Banette got up and floated forward a short distance. His eyes showed that he still thought it was creepy, but he smiled anyhow. “Yeah, it’s great when your Pokemon become friendly with you.”

As the lights went dim, they had to stop the conversation. Maria went back to the seat. However, her duty was to supervise them and make sure the boy wasn’t trouble. She had supervised dates before and knew many tricks for stopping an overeager boy.

But Jacob behaved himself. At times, the teens held hands, but that was it. Maria was a little disappointed in that. She liked rebuking the bad ones. One time, a boy had tried to sneak his hand on Iris’ breast. Maria had gotten back at him by pinning her paws together in such a way that his hands suddenly went cold and numb. Iris had gotten rid of that boy not long after that.

In the middle of the movie, Maria did spot a couple a few rows ahead who were smooching in the dark. They were trying to be discreet, but when the movie characters quieted, they could be heard. And according to Mr. Price, that was a public display of affection, which should not happen. Well if she couldn’t punish Jacob, she could at least punish them.

Unseen by the humans, the Banette reached back to her crooked tail and pulled out two long pins. She rubbed them both between her paws, looking at the kissing couple to make an unseen connection with them. Then with great care, she took one pin and gently poked it along her zipper mouth. It had to be in the right spot. Once she had it, she pushed the pin in.

She had done so with such expertise that she didn’t feel a thing from the pin. However, there was an audible “Ow,” from the woman a few rows down. Maria’s curse had struck. The couple made some hushed argument, only to be shushed by someone in front of them. For good measure, Maria then stuck the second pin into her chin. She gave the curse a few minutes to sink in, then removed the pins and replaced them to her tail. That couple wouldn’t be interrupting this movie now.

At the end of the movie, Jacob took Iris out to a small sit-down restaurant. It wasn’t as classy as some past boys had tried, but it had a kindly relaxed atmosphere, like a family dining room. Several potted plants were placed strategically to give each table a private feel. Of course, Maria was brought along even if she didn’t eat like most creatures.

“Sometimes I think I should get a small and well-behaved Pokemon too,” Jacob said. “It’s nice when you can bring one along wherever you are. All of mine are either too big or too wild to let free in a place like this.”

“It’s fun to have a companion Pokemon,” Iris said. “It’s like always having a good friend at your side. Isn’t that right, Maria?”

The Banette cooed and clasped her paws together. It didn’t bother her to be just a companion Pokemon, not a competitor or fighter. In exchange for love and attention, all she had to do was return the same. Besides, at this point she couldn’t imagine being without Iris. They had been together constantly for several years now. Maria could easily resist the Ghostly temptation to lay a curse on anyone who provoked her. Most of the time.

“I’m trying to get mine to be friendlier.” He picked up the menu. “So, order whatever you like. I’ll cover it.”

As the dinner went along at a lazy pace, the two teens chatted happily on whatever subject they came across. Maria watched and listened silently. But then she came upon her own problem. Jacob and Iris were getting along really well. The warmth of their exchanges touched her, even if it was on silly subjects. Maybe this time, there really was love. At any rate, they both seemed happy just to be with each other.

But the Banette was used to solving problems. She could curse boys who made Iris uncomfortable, or tried to take things too far too fast. She could enact revenge against careless or thoughtless boys. However, what did she do to a boy who genuinely liked Iris? What kind of curse could be used to encourage love?

Try as she might, Maria couldn’t think of any. She watched and listened for anything that she could object to, as a spy for the parents. But nothing came up. Indeed, all the signs showed that it would be very bad if she tried to curse Jacob at all. Then Iris would be spiteful towards her.

So what could a Banette do about love?

Ruby entry: Banette generates energy for laying strong curses by sticking pins into its own body. This Pokemon was originally a pitiful plush doll that was thrown away.
    Last edited by Ysavvryl; 18th February 2010 at 4:33 AM.

Yes! First to review!
    I loved this one as it had Bannette as somewhat of a tattle- tale pokemon contrary to what I thought it would be. Though it was a bit mean to the couple kissing rows up...
    X:

Mantyke:
    “You is bad man. You no can has cookie. The sign sayz no litterin’! And the Walrein sayz to return his bukkit.”
    LOLcats! =D Possibly my favorite line in the entire thread so far. For that, you can definitely haz cookie.

The critic commentary is win. That is all. *nod*

Banette:
    They were trying to be discrete,
    Spelled like this, discrete means distinct or isolated. Methinks you meant "discreet", which means tactful.

But when they love you and give you big soulful eyes, they’re just so adorable.
    I c wat u did thar. XD

I quite liked this one. Banette as a Pokemon typically has nothing to do with romance, which would make it illogical for Valentine's day, yet the use to which it was put here was perfect, so it was extremely logical at the same time. If you follow my train of logic here. *shot* A far cry from my old guest OS, indeed. And Maria's uncertainty at the end is just icing on the cake.

Great job as usual ^_^

Page 31 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast