Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokedex One-Shots (PG)

I haz cookie! Yay!

This was a fun one to write. The Drowzee entries that I didn't pick were odd, though. Did you know it eats dreams through your nose? It makes odd sense, as that would be the thinnest part connected to your brain cavity. And you're welcome for that gross-out moment.

In Process: Ekans/Koffing
    On Deck: Dratini, Drifblim, Ivysaur, Linoone
    Reserve: ???/??? (#246-7)

DROWZEE AND DARKRAI

He was in a bad situation. His Psychic powers were being damped by something that he couldn’t identify, or locate. Due to the foggy moonless night, neither he nor his Trainer could tell what was coming up along the forest path. And this island wasn’t large. If they weren’t careful, they could walk off into the ocean and not know it until they hit the water. But then, how were they to find their way back to the boat?

Gripping his Trainer’s arm tighter, the Drowzee said, “<Dan, you should give up so we can get out of here alive.>”

“Don’t be so nervous, Baku,” the teenager said. He kept looking in the trees for some sign of activity. “If we’re patient, one might show.”

What came from the trees, though, was a deep and menacing voice. “You should not have come here,” he said. Then the night came alive and tore Dan out of Baku’s grip. Before he could run after his Trainer, the Drowzee was drowned in the darkness as well. But he didn’t die. He simply woke up.

Baku opened his eyes wide and sat up. Immediately, the brightness of the sun against the ocean waves caused him to cringe. He spent a moment looking at the white paint of the boat and the yellowness of his skin to soothe his eyes. He felt Dan’s presence nearby, so his Trainer was fine. At the moment, the teen seemed to be happy and excited. But, was this dream a premonition?

When he could look out across the water comfortably, Baku got up and went to the control panel, where Dan was driving the boat. “Hey, you finally woke up,” the teen said, tweaking the Drowzee’s ear. “This boat is pretty easy, once I figured it out. We should be there soon.”

He took the human’s arm and shook his head. “<This may be a bad idea,>” he said. His telepathy wasn’t strong enough to work on an awake human yet, but he had been with Dan for several years. Usually, the teen knew what he was saying.

“What’re you nervous about now? We’re just hunting down another Pokemon for the team. And to show up that jerk.” Dan smiled. “He made a mistake in telling us there were rare Pokemon at new Moon Island. It’ll be another step up for us.”

Baku had been excited about the prospect earlier. His current teammates were good friends, and a new one would be welcomed as one of the group. However, he’d never had a dark premonition before other captures. What was so different about this one?

A few minutes later, an island came into view. It seemed like any of the other islands around Sinnoh, a small patch of land bearing a great many tall leafy trees. It wasn’t civilized, though, as there wasn’t even a dock. As they approached, they saw that the beaches were rocky. Dan slowed the boat and circled around the island, careful to watch the map radar for underwater snags. At one point, they found a large black rock that jutted out into the ocean. They brought the boat up there to get on the island.

Dan checked his GPS. “This is the right coordinates. Odd though, that this named island hasn’t been built on yet. Full Moon Isle even has a dock, and it’s hardly bigger than this place.”

“<There’s something creepy about this place,>” Baku noted. Sure, it looked like any other forested island, but there was something off here. For one thing, his mental senses were stopped dead right at the tree line. And the undergrowth was lush, grasses and shrubs that apparently had little to check their growth here. He couldn’t even hear the little buzzes and hums of micro-bugs. There was just the steady ocean tide.

However, the teen wasn’t worried. “Let’s go check things out. I’ve got my walking stick to clear the brush out.”

Baku tried one last time, grabbing Dan’s shirt and looking at him seriously. “<There’s something wrong with this place.>”

“Something bugging you?” He looked into the trees quietly, his expression losing some of the excitement. “There is something weird about those trees. Maybe it’s Ghost Pokemon, or Dark ones, that are freaking you out. Or Bugs. Well don’t worry; I’ll recall you if something you can’t handle comes up. Like always, right?”

“<I suppose,>” Baku relented, rubbing his snout. His Trainer could be stubborn at times. “<Let’s be careful.>”

“You keep close to me, and warn me if anything’s gonna jump at us.” Dan then led him into the woods of New Moon Isle.

The trees provided an almost total leaf canopy, letting only fragments of sunlight hit the forest floor. Due to this, dark tolerant plants grew in abundance. Baku watched, but never saw anything. The total lack of activity came to be a worry, though. Anywhere else, there would be micro-bugs and other lesser animals scrounging about, wary of humans and Pokemon. There would also be wild Pokemon around, calling to each other or coming up in curiosity. But there was nothing here.

No. Not quite. Baku sensed one being here. He didn’t so much sense it as sense the absence in the aura he could feel. That had to be some Pokemon of the Dark type. And immensely powerful at that, if the space of that absence was a clue to that. At first, he tried to keep Dan from entering that absence space.

After circling the edge of the isle twice, Dan looked over their boat. “This is really weird,” he said. “We should have run into something. But night’s falling, and nothing has appeared. Have we checked the middle of the island?”

“<You don’t want to check the middle of the island,>” Baku said, although he figured his Trainer wouldn’t listen.

“Let’s go check. We could camp on the boat if we had to, but I’d rather not, or set back out to Canalave this close to evening.”

Feeling a sense of dread, Baku followed his Trainer nevertheless. He entered the Dark aura expecting to be repelled by something painful. But that didn’t happen. It simply slid around him like oil, all around the Drowzee yet not enough to disorient him. Why? No Dark Pokemon that he had ever met was so generous with others. None had ever had this degree of control over their power either. So was this one being welcoming? Or, was it all one of their infamous tricks?

In the center of the isle, there was an open meadow. The grasses here were more controlled, not growing everywhere like a savage’s hair. It was just a quiet place. No mystical monuments, no mysterious signs, no shrines, no sign of human hands. Just a quiet, peaceful meadow which was almost entirely barren of life forms from the animal kingdom.

“This would be a nice place to set up camp,” Dan said. “But there’s just… something creepy going on. Normally you hear the calls of the Starly family everywhere, or even Hoothoots. But there’s none of that here. And I’m not sure about setting up a campfire anywhere with all this grass.” He turned around, looking.

A feeling of panic welled up in Baku. “<No, no!>” he called, crossing his arms. “<Camping here is a bad idea.>”

“What’s up with you today?” Dan asked, patting him. “If there’s nothing here, there isn’t anything dangerous. We’ll leave tomorrow. Looks like this trip was a waste. Still, we might be able to drop by another island. Oh, look, there’s a hole in the ground. It would be useful for a fire.”

Baku turned around. He had been certain that the meadow was all grass. However, there was now a nice shallow pit near where they had come in. And the grasses seemed even shorter. How could he have missed that? Or was it another trick?

Alarmed by all the strangeness, the Drowzee remained alert while helping to set up a campfire and a tent. He remained alert while they ate some simple dinner under the darkened sky. And he remained alert when Dan went to sleep. As the minutes drifted by, there was only the wind stirring up the leaves and the distant rhythm of the tide.

Nothing happened for the first hour. Then, his sensitive snout picked up on something. Dan was fully asleep now, and entering the phase where he dreamed. The scent of it drifted from the human’s nose. It was always the nose, although other Pokemon thought that specific dream scent was non-existent. To a Drowzee or Hypno, that scent told many things. Usually, Baku would take a bit of Dan’s dream energy to consume every night. It never hurt him, so there was nothing wrong with it.

But this night the dreams had a bitter tinge of nightmares. It wasn’t very strong, but it was enough to make his stomach queasy. Nightmares always disagreed with him later, and there were tales that a Drowzee that ate too many nightmares would fall horribly sick and die. That was a theory that he didn’t want to put to the test.

Instinctively, he knew that the Dark Pokemon residing here was causing this. Baku crept into the tent and tried some things to stop it: making significant signs on his Trainer’s forehead, trying to unsettle the dream stage of sleep, blocking off all of Dan’s senses temporarily. But his efforts seemed to do nothing to the dense aura.

Baku then left the tent and looked around the meadow. He couldn’t see any strange movements in the grass. Aside from the bitter nightmare, he smelled nothing out of the ordinary. He couldn’t feel anything in the aura because he could not feel the Dark aura. It had to be out here. But where?

“<Come out of hiding, you,>” Baku called into the meadow. “<I know you’re hurting my human, and I won’t allow that.>”

“You should not have come here,” a deep voice replied from behind him.

He turned and saw the stranger by the campfire. Only a foot taller than the Drowzee, the Dark Pokemon was some kind of black phantom with long white hair and leathery wings. Although Baku couldn’t read its thoughts or feelings, it didn’t seem aggressive. Still, Baku felt defensive, if only for Dan’s sake. “<Why not? And who are you to forbid anyone from doing something?>”

It switched from human speech to the language all Pokemon shared. “<I am Darkrai, of the new moon. I came here to be alone many centuries ago. No one is to disturb me here.>”

“<We haven’t heard anything like that,>” Baku replied. Although he felt cautious (any Pokemon that could claim it had been alive for centuries had to be strong and talented), he would still stand up for his Trainer. “<And you didn’t give any warnings, so you have no right to be hurting him like you are. I know it’s you! Don’t deny it.>”

“<I won’t. But I am holding back; I do not wish your human any true harm. I do not wish you harm either, so do not try to battle me. It would be fruitless for both of us.>”

Although puzzled by Darkrai’s words, Baku could see that it was being honest. It showed no signs of aggression as it floated by the fire. It turned its eyes to the fire now, as if watching something unusual and curious. Still, the situation unnerved Baku. Dan was still emitting a bitter dream scent.

“<But if you won’t deny giving him nightmares, and you don’t wish to harm us, then why is he having nightmares due to your power?>” the Drowzee challenged. Even if it would be tough, even fruitless, he wouldn’t stand down and do nothing.

“<That is why I came to be alone,>” Darkrai said, still watching the fire. “<My power is to control nightmares. There have been those who abused my power for evil purposes, causing war, despair, fear, tragedy. Others hated me for it, even though it was not under my control and I had no desire to be evil. So I forsook the society of everyone. He came looking to capture a Pokemon, didn’t he? I am the only one here.>”

Baku looked back to the tent. “<He’s not evil,>” he defended for his sleeping Trainer. “<He just wants to be a strong Trainer, like many others.>”

“<Even if his intents are not evil, he would still be bringing my power back into civilization, where it would hurt everyone around him, including you. I want you both to leave tomorrow. But I watched you today. I have seen that he can be stubborn and ignore the signs that gave you fear. I will hold back for him, but I will also make certain that you leave in the morning.>”

“<Can’t you just leave a clear message then? Or do nothing; he’s planning on leaving anyhow because he didn’t find any Pokemon today.>”

Darkrai moved its hand forward, barely keeping its fingers out of the sinking flames. “<People are more likely to avoid fire if they’ve been burned touching the flames. At least, that is the philosophy that I have followed. I managed to keep up a good rumor that this island was cursed. Perhaps I’ve been neglecting that as of late. More people have come the past few years, even as I dissuade them. Still, I will not allow myself to be captured and used again.>”

Baku clenched his hands. “<I still don’t like this.>”

“<I understand. But he will be able to sleep tonight, or else he won’t be able to pilot the boat back to the mainland.>” It looked back at him finally. “<You are not entirely convinced of my intentions, it seems.>”

“<You’re hurting my Trainer and friend,>” he retorted. “<Of course I’m not fine with that.>” He could put this strange Pokemon to sleep; that wasn’t an ability it could block. Then he could eat its dreams, so that its power over dreams would be broken. If he took all the dream energy from someone, that person or Pokemon would not be able to concentrate.

Raising its hand up, Darkrai wove a strange pattern in the air with its fingers. At that, its aura ceased to be like oil and came to be like water, like the energy usually was. It overwhelmed Baku’s mind, giving him a flashback to his own nightmare during the day. With his psychic senses being drowned in the Dark aura, the Drowzee could hardly tell up from down, left from right. He looked at his five-fingered hands and felt disconnected with them.

It only lasted a second, though, as Darkrai retracted the aura so that it acted as oil again. Then it looked back into the fire and was silent. From that, Baku felt like it had been reluctant to do that. He didn’t want to bother the Dark Pokemon now. Instead, he stayed by the tent and made sure Dan was okay, besides the nightmares.

In the morning, Dan seemed nervous as he cleaned up the campsite. “I think you were right to be nervous about this place,” he told Baku. “I had some weird dreams. Maybe there’s some Pokemon here, but it doesn’t want us to be here. We’d better leave it alone.”

“<That’s for the best,>” the Drowzee replied. He hadn’t seen Darkrai since the sun came up, but he knew it was out there, somewhere under the dark canopy.

Drowzee Leaf Green entry: Puts enemies to sleep, then eats their dreams. Occasionally gets sick from eating only bad dreams.

Darkrai Platinum entry: To protect itself, it afflicts those around it with nightmares. However, it means no harm.
    Last edited by Ysavvryl; 18th February 2010 at 5:51 PM.
    Pokedex OS- Still trying to capture every single Pokemon out there in words: 648/718 Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh complete!

Fluer Noir- A story of a black flower, a shameful history, and magic.

Wow, the Darkrai/Drowzee one was just great! Darkrai was so awesome, with his Dark abilities.
    The Banette one was cool too. Maria was such a fun character. Keep up the good work!
    Hacks are Pokemon too. If you believe hacks are Pokemon and don't deserve to be shunned because of what they are copy and paste this in your signature. Started by The_Shuppeteer_.

Ash: "Hey Pikachu, what happened? I ran to go take a piss and Mewtwo and Mew attacked me."

Misty: So that was what you were doing??!

--Quote from Pokemons the Abridged Movie

Loved it. I'm always glad when Darkrai isn't portrayed as a villian.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Ekans would be the fifty percent mark for Kanto Pokemon. Yay!

I am looking for some reserves for March holidays: St. Patricks Day and the first day of spring. I'll also take an Easter reserve if it's a good one, since that's in early April.

In Process: ???/???
    On Deck: Dratini, Drifblim, Ivysaur, Linoone

EKANS AND KOFFING

The ground was becoming warmer as spring took hold of the grassy plain east of Vermillion City. Elliot the Ekans was finding it easier to get around, now that the winter cold was no longer freezing his blood, and motivation. Today, he wasn’t looking for a meal; he’d caught something days ago, when it had been groggy from post-hibernation weakness. Those around him were still struggling to find food, but he wouldn’t need to eat again for a few days more.

Instead, he was checking out his territory for any changes that had occurred. With his tongue flicking in and out, he could learn invisible information that hung in the air. A nearby rival had been patrolling lately too, as his scent lingered on some grasses. Elliot would probably be out fighting him again when it was closer to summer. At the dirt path the humans used, he found signs of winter damage which the humans hadn’t gotten around to fixing yet. They probably would fix it soon, so he’d need to stay out of their way. They brought in machines to do that, machines that could crush an Ekans’ body on accident. Although he noted other signs, they weren’t quite as worrisome as his rival and the humans.

While he slithered back into the tall grass, he felt vibrations in the ground that had to be human footsteps. Elliot took a moment to carefully examine this human’s scent. It was a female, one of those ‘teenagers’, wearing a Leppa scented hand lotion, carrying a scent of two Pokemon (Kadabra and Gloom), although neither of those two Pokemon were around. From that, it was safe to assume this was a Trainer. Feeling no desire to be captured, he slipped further into the grasses and out of her path.

“I wonder if Kevin is around,” he thought aloud. He took a careful taste of the air. As Kevin was a Koffing, he was impossible for a scent sensitive Pokemon like an Ekans to miss. There was a slight tinge of his sour scent; he had been here a few hours ago. Elliot slithered around until he figured out which direction Kevin had gone, then went after him.

His search took him away from the dirt paths and into the dense woods where the humans never went. He occasionally thought of moving back here instead of staying out near the paths. If he did so, he wouldn’t have to deal with humans. But, doing that would require fighting other Ekans, or even other Pokemon. After all, it wasn’t like territory was something his kind traded.

After avoiding potential confrontations, he came to a small clearing where a horrid stench kept others away. Elliot was always careful to not taste the air around places Kevin was staying. It could take hours to get rid of the nasty bitter taste of poison if he got a strong taste. However, the Koffing was his friend. The odd friendship helped, in that others were less likely to challenge Elliot, in case Kevin was around.

Kevin was in the middle of the clearing, resting on the ground enough to put a flat area on his normally spherical bubble body. It was unusual; he normally floated, just off the ground if he was dealing with Elliot. With his eyes looking down and half-closed, he looked sad. As the Ekans came closer, he could see that the poison gas buildup in his body was dense. It was normally a mass of swirling colored particles, but not today.

“Are you feeling ill?” Elliot asked. “You don’t look well.”

“Huh?” He opened his eyes fully and looked over at him. “Oh, hi Elliot.”

He smiled a bit. “You’re getting good at identifying me.”

“Well you’re the only Ekans who’ll come up to me willingly, so even though your kind is over common, I know you now.”

“But you haven’t answered my questions. Are you sick? What’s wrong?”

“It’s nothing you need to worry about,” he replied, looking back at the ground. “I’ve just felt lousy the past couple of days.”

Elliot brought his front half up off the ground, to be more on eye-level with the Koffing. “Is that why you came looking for me?”

“Looking for you?” His attention was back at the Ekans as some visible vapors curled off the top of his body. The yellow markings on his front brightened, something he did when embarrassed or frightened. “What makes you think that?”

“Well you say you’ve felt lousy the past few days,” he pointed out. “But I caught your scent only hours old in my territory. And you’re the only one of your kind around Vermillion as far as I know, so it couldn’t have been anyone else. So, it seems you were looking for me.”

“Huh. Guess I can’t fool you on that. I felt like talking to somebody and you’re the first one I thought of.” He got quiet.

“What do you want to talk about?” Elliot finally said after a while of awkward silence.

“You know why I’m the only Koffing around here? My Trainer kicked me off his team. Over the winter, I’ve been looking for a new Trainer.”

“It’s not going well then?” While Elliot didn’t care to join the humans, he knew a lot of his peers wanted to. He wouldn’t argue against them. Although, he would miss Kevin if he was captured.

“Not exactly,” Kevin replied oddly. “I was caught quite a few times. However, every single time, I was immediately released.”

That didn’t seem right. Humans were capturing Pokemon just to let them go? “Why? That doesn’t make sense.”

“I didn’t understand it myself, but the last time, a week ago, I found out a reason. The boy who caught me was excited that he had a new entry for something he called a Pokedex and ignored me completely at first. Then he said that he didn’t need me any more and released me. Apparently they just want some information and nothing else.”

“That doesn’t seem like humans I’ve met before,” Elliot said. “Maybe this Pokedex is some new fad thing. Humans like fads, but they never last long.” He knew about fads because he’d once been trapped unwittingly near a group of female humans having a picnic. While he hid under a bush to avoid notice, they talked continually about how important it was to keep up with the latest fad. As he’d listened to the conversation, the whole concept of fads had struck Elliot as dumb. Why change yourself constantly to keep up with some vague far away fad leader?

“Maybe. Or maybe I am just a lousy Pokemon.”

“You aren’t lousy,” he replied. “You’re nicer than most Pokemon I know.”

“I might seem that way to you, but nobody else will stay around me. You’re the nice one.”

“I wouldn’t worry about what the humans say and do. They’re so hard to predict as it is.” He dropped down and slithered around. “Why don’t you blow yourself up? You always say there’s nothing like a good explosion to cheer you up. And it looks like you could use it.”

Kevin gave a negative sign, shaking back and forth slightly. “I don’t feel like blowing up today.”

“Are you sure about that? You look like you’re stuffed, or dense, whatever your kind says about it. It probably would help.”

“I don’t think so. If I’m not a good Koffing, then I shouldn’t have the right to self destruct.”

Normally, he’d flick his tongue out as a sign of challenge. But Elliot managed to hold back his regular responses. “If you won’t make yourself explode, then you’re definitely not a good Koffing. Come on, do it. Or are you that weak?”

“I am not weak,” Kevin countered, finally showing some of his usual pride.

“Well then prove it. Make an explosion loud enough to get the attention of the human Trainer you want.”

“Okay, I will. But you’d better back off.”

Nodding, Elliot slithered to the edge of the clearing. He turned in time to see the Koffing’s body condense, then release all his stored gasses in a clamorous explosion. A cloud of dark violet hung in the air for a minute; it would have knocked the Ekans right out if he had been in range. Right under the toxic cloud, grasses went into shock trying not to be killed by the poisons. As the breeze started to clear the area, Elliot came back in to find Kevin deflated. His body looked odd like that, a collapsed gel-like sack that was almost fully see-through.

It only took a minute for him to breathe back in enough air to fully inflate himself again. “Phew. I guess I was holding a lot in.”

“You feel better now?”

“Yeah, I shouldn’t be worrying too much about the humans. Thanks Elliot. If there’s anything I can do for you, just ask.”

“I’m just helping you as a friend, Kevin.” The Ekans lifted his violet scaled body off the ground again. “Although, if you could help me stake a good claim around this forest, that would be a great thing.”

The Koffing lifted himself an inch off the ground and grinned. “Sure thing. What kind of place do you have in mind?”

Ekans Fire Red entry: A common sight in grassland, etc. It flicks its tongue in and out to sense danger in its surroundings.

Emerald entry: Getting up close to a Koffing will give you a chance to observe, through its thin skin, the toxic gases swirling inside. It blows up at the slightest stimulation.
    Pokedex OS- Still trying to capture every single Pokemon out there in words: 648/718 Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh complete!

Perhaps I could suggest a Lopunny/Buneary one for Easter? Cliched, but fitting.
    Anyway, the new story was awesome!
    Hacks are Pokemon too. If you believe hacks are Pokemon and don't deserve to be shunned because of what they are copy and paste this in your signature. Started by The_Shuppeteer_.

Ash: "Hey Pikachu, what happened? I ran to go take a piss and Mewtwo and Mew attacked me."

I feel sorry for the Koffing. Weezing is my favorite Pokemon, so if I found a Koffing that early in FR, I wouldn't dare let it go. Great story, though.

The_Shuppeteer: I was actually gonna suggest a Lopunny/Exeggcute story for Easter. Ah, well. I'll just suggest a Weepinbell/Victreebel story for Spring. (yes, I love the poison-type)

Author profile

Fizzy Bubbles info

All these stories lately are great, especially Mantyke.

As for a request, how about using Pupitar's Diamond entry? It goes along the lines of flying using pressured gases inside it, so maybe use a Bagon along side it.
    Laurence | Rock
    3325-1721-6092
    Onix | Shuckle | Nosepass

Great story again! For St. Patricks you could do Ho-oh because it is kind of a rainbow Pokemon and it's gold... unless you did it already.
    X:

What idiot would pass up a Koffing in Vermilion? All the poison types are extreamly powerful ingame... heck, I got a good run with freaking ARIADOS in Shiny Gold. And that isn't even counting Redchocobo's starter (a Gulpin) who remained unevolved until the postgame, yet STILL posed a threat.

Eh. Still a good story, just the BONEHEADEDNESS of people gets to me.
    Pokemon TCG revamped: The game! - A link to my game. It's locked now, but I'm working on reviving it. If you attempt to recreate it, I will EAT YOU.

...what? I know that I agree with this entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman324 View Post
    What idiot would pass up a Koffing in Vermilion?
    Quoted for truth. I actually restarted FireRed yesterday and intend to have a Weezing on my team.

Author profile

Fizzy Bubbles info

I think Exeggcute was already done. At first I was going to suggest Buneary/Togepi, but Togepi has been done, too...
    Running out of Pokemon...

Exeggcute was already done, as was Togepi and Pupitar (I'm fairly sure). Lopunny sounds fun. Ho-oh for St. Patrick's Day.... that's a bit of a stretch... we'll see. I'll take Victreebell for spring, though (one of my first Pokemon, whee!). As for the comments on the idots of last entry... let's just say that kids are dumb, m'kay? I used a Koffing/Weezing in one challenge and it was the best member of the team.

Anyhow, I have hit the fifty percent mark! Yay! Thanks for all your reading, reviewing, and requesting, cause you all make this even more fun. We will just conveniently ignore that upcoming fifth gen messing up my halfway mark for now...

I've had this particular story in my head for a long time. I meant to add it to another longer story, and it nearly made it into The Ballad of Deoxys and Mewtwo. A similar scene wound up taking precedence, though. It works great for this, though.

I'M HALFWAY DONE WITH THE POKEDEX!!!!

In Process: Dratini
    On Deck: Drifblim, Ivysaur, Linoone
    Reserve: Weepinbel/Victreebel (3/21), Lopunny (Easter)

MEWTWO AND MEW

The night was filled with lights, enough to drown out the stars. They were on long strands, in paper lanterns, from small torches, in many colors, in many forms. Illuminated in those lights, there were strands of paper flags, streamers, ribbons, balloons, paper dolls, and many other shows of festivity. It was a midsummer fair for a rich town, and no expense had been spared.

There was even a graceful Ferris Wheel in the center of the festivity, taking earthbound riders up to see the brilliant lights and decorations from high above. But up there, they missed something. Behind some brightly colored tents, someone hid and watched the Ferris Wheel in action. Mewtwo was tall and bipedal like the humans, but he was clearly a Pokemon and would have been noticed if he were out with the crowd. Not that he would have joined the noisy crowd for any reason. His temper wasn’t feeling very generous with them tonight.

As he watched the Ferris Wheel in action, he made motions with his fingers, corresponding with thoughts and calculations going on in his mind. “taking out by Extrasensory…” he mumbled.

“That won’t work unless you Meditate a bunch of times first,” a voice on his left commented.

Jerking away from the voice, Mewtwo went to glare at… nothing. There was no one behind the tents with him. Or so it seemed. A poke at his right shoulder and a girlish giggle gave it away, though. “Don’t do that to me, Mew,” he hissed.

“Awww, but why not?” she asked, still not showing herself.

“I thought I told you not to bug me anymore,” he grumbled.

“I don’t know if I was listening then or not, so I couldn’t say.” As she spoke, she began to resolve from her invisible state. First her round blue eyes and small smile, then her small pink body and long slender tail. Also appearing was a large puff of bright orange cotton candy that was as big as Mew’s body. Holding the white stick in her tail, she offered it to him. “Want some cotton candy?”

“No,” he said flatly.

“More for me then,” she replied cheerily, tearing off a strand to eat. But she didn’t float away.

“And you wouldn’t know what I’m doing now,” Mewtwo stated.

“Yes I do,” she said. “You’re trying to sabotage the Ferris Wheel and cause a great big ruckus. But it won’t work with just Extrasensory on the bolts.”

“You don’t know that,” he said, trying to hide his surprise that she had guessed right.

“Oh puh-lease,” she said indignantly, putting her hands on her hips (more or less). “I play tested the whole entire universe, so I know how every single move works. At your current power level, considering the forces in Extrasensory, considering the welding strength of the material in the Ferris Wheel, you’re not going to remove those bolts unless you Meditate a bunch of times. And when you do get them out, the Wheel’s not going to go rolling off in a violently comical fashion. Its structure isn’t that sturdy on its own, so it will probably collapse in the middle of the fair.”

“I knew that part,” he insisted, brushing off that she had guessed his plan. “But that works just as well.”

“Why are you trying to break it down?” she asked, tearing off another gossamer strand of orange candy. “I haven’t figured out that yet.”

“They’re making so much light and noise that I can’t sleep,” Mewtwo complained. “All this fuss over nothing.”

Mew laughed and clasped her hands together. “Aw, why be such a grumpy Grumpig? It’s a fair. Have fun, like me.” She then stuck her cotton candy against her face, getting orange sugar sparkles all over.

“No thanks.” He tried to get back into his previous train of thought and wound up recalling something she’d just said. “And what do you mean that you play tested the whole universe? We don’t live in a video game.”

Putting on mock wide eyes of shock, she asked, “We don’t?”

“You can’t test a universe. It just… runs on its own.”

“Well that’s because I tested it first. I was given every possible move and every possible Pokemon that could be, and then told to try breaking the system. I was given all of time in a fraction of a second to do it in, so I remember bits and I remember the whole thing. During that testing phase, I had loads of fun and crashed the universe fifty jillion times. We were able to figure out who should or shouldn’t get which moves, why, and what glitches were about. Ninety-nine point nine nine nine nine nine nine nine nine nine percent were fixed.” She paused her talk to eat some more candy.

“There aren’t universal glitches,” Mewtwo said. However, the idea did intrigue him. If there was one that he could exploit, that would be helpful.

“There’s a few minor ones still about,” Mew said, then licked some sugar off her paws. “But they require such odd sequences of actions that it’s highly unlikely that they would be set off by accident. Like this one crazy one: at a certain time of morning, if you talk to someone seven times older than you, like a ten year old talking to a seventy year old, and then immediately use Fly to go north or south a certain amount of space, and then immediately use Surf but stay really close to an island, you’ll trigger the appearance of a Pokemon that should not exist. That Pokemon… hooo boy, that one caused so many crashes and glitches just by its existence that we decided that it couldn’t be allowed life. It’s kind of sad, but then good since the universe is stable without its presence. But since it was an idea, there is that slim chance it can come into the world still. We couldn’t fix it without causing bigger problems.”

It was strange. But should Mewtwo try that, he was fairly certain that the others would catch him at it. As she said, it was too specific of a circumstance to claim as accidental. “So you had the idea of every Pokemon to ever exist to work with, huh?”

“Yup,” she said cheerily. “Including you! I still do, actually, as I kept copies of the DNA of every single one of them in my body. And I can still access all but the forbidden powers, although not all at once anymore. Oh, but the most fun was when I was trying out the powers of Giratina!” She pulled off some more cotton candy and twirled it.

“Dimensional powers?”

She nodded. “Yeah, I wound up skipping out of the young universe and winding up in others. Some were such fun. And on this one jump, I wound up at a concert of the greatest band of all the universes ever ever ever! The Beatles!” She squealed so loudly that it made Mewtwo’s ears ring.

“Aren’t they…?” Mewtwo started to ask, rubbing his head.

But Mew started prattling excitedly. “They were so awesome and their music was so great! I used the combined powers of Dialga and Palkia to stalk them to bunches more concerts, to buy all their records, tapes, CDs, videos, and such, and I even got the autographs of all four on the White Album record. Oh my gosh, they were so amazing that I almost didn’t want to return back home, but I had to, so I bought a few devices to play my collection on and brought them all back to let all the others hear.”

“They’re a band in our world, though,” he finally said when she stopped in a happy smile.

“I know,” she said. “And I saw to that, although I didn’t have to help it that much. Great music just is, you know? Like great candy!”

Mewtwo crossed his arms over his chest. “You know, I’ve been thinking about that. That cotton candy was as big as you are. Do you really intend to eat the whole thing?”

“Well I offered to share it,” she said sweetly, taking another strand to eat. “But you didn’t take it. Might as well not let it go to waste, you know.”

“You’re an idiot,” he said sharply. “I don’t care about your past health, but if you put that much sugar into that little body, you’re going to suffer for it. And that particular color of orange, it looks like artificial coloring at work, one that is believed to make some children and Pokemon sick. If you have the DNA of every Pokemon, that coloring agent might make you sick.”

“But I might also be immune to it,” she pointed out. “And cotton candy is sooooo good. You sure you don’t want any?”

“I’m sure, but I’m also sure that you shouldn’t eat that whole thing.”

Mew laughed. “What, are you concerned about me? Mewtwo, I’m touched.”

“I’m not,” he scowled. “But I don’t want to see you get captured again. That caused enough problems the last time you did.”

“I wouldn’t worry about that. Not everybody is an evil mad scientist.” She ate another strand, looking thoughtful. Then her body went transparent, leaving her eyes and smile bright. “He-ey, somebody’s coming this way. You might want to be careful.” She was gone to just her blue eyes and broad smile again, then completely went invisible. Including her cotton candy.

Annoyed, Mewtwo flew up to the top of the tent and hovered there while some groundskeeper used the area to shortcut his work path. He moved carefully to find a better hiding spot, a tricky task since he didn’t know how to go invisible like Mew. He considered again just going out and flinging fireballs and anything else in his arsenal at the disruptive humans. Although he’d ignored them for several months, this flashy and noisy fair was just too much. But destroying the Ferris Wheel, the biggest thing in the fair, would be so satisfying that Mewtwo decided to keep trying.

In the next hour, he considered a dozen ways, but discounted all of them. The best one seemed to be the Extrasensory method, but he didn’t want to use it because Mew had suggested how it would work properly. He didn’t want her to be gloating to it about him afterwards. But then, why had she suggested it? She usually tried to block him from hurting humans. Maybe the sugar had gotten to her already.

Mewtwo had come upon a new plan that seemed promising when, without any warning, he was warped from the spot he was hiding to the middle of the largest path in the fair. He tensed as he realized that the area was filled with humans who were looking at him in puzzlement and curiosity. Clenching his fist, he considered an attack, but a loud cheery laugh stopped him. Mew glided in front of him, still holding onto the cotton candy stick, even though the candy was now gone.

“Mew,” he hissed angrily.

“I told you,” she crowed in a sing-song voice. “I told you there were still glitches in the universe. I just caused one to bring you here!” She laughed and twirled around. When she stopped, he could see that her limbs and tail were shaking.

Just to see, he mentally checked her vital signs. She had eaten that entire piece of cotton candy, and now her body was going frantic in trying to deal with all that sugar in her system. She was rather close to the point of collapse. Sighing, he said, “One would think that if you’ve lived as long as you’ve claimed, you would have some sense in that pink head of yours.”

“Sense?” She laughed, then clapped her paws. “Banish all sense! Let it be!” A bright flash emerged from her body and struck all of the witnesses who could see the pair.

But it wasn’t a standard blinding Flash, Mewtwo noticed. It seemed to dazzle the witnesses so much that they immediately forgot what was happening in front of them. “I didn’t mean that exactly.”

“All you need is love, love,” she sang, then floated shakily over and bopped him on the head with the cotton candy stick. “You shouldn’t be so mean all the time. It’s not nice, not nice. I’ll do whatever it takes to stop you. Whatever, whenever… and all the lonely people…” her mental signs grew fainter as she spoke, and then she passed out.

“You are absolutely crazy,” he muttered. He had half a mind to just leave her there. She had brought this suffering on herself, after all.

But then, a lot of his troubles and suffering had started when she had foolishly let herself be captured. Not everyone was an evil mad scientist, but they were out there. Not wanting another disaster coming from a repeat of that, Mewtwo took Mew and teleported miles from the fairgrounds, to find some distant place to keep her safe.

Mewtwo DPP entry: A Pokemon created by recombining Mew’s genes. It’s said to have the most savage heart among Pokemon.

Emerald entry: A Mew is said to possess the genes of all Pokemon. It is capable of making itself invisible at will, so it entirely avoids notice even if it approaches people.

Nice. I like the Missingno. reference. What I don't like is the notion that Missingno. is harmful. But still, good story. Mew made me laugh.

Author profile

Fizzy Bubbles info

Well like Mew said, it's sad, but it keeps the universe stable.

Anyhow, I got a banner for this thread from Skillfulness, who kindly gave me a couple of different versions to choose from. Here's one of them that ties in directly with this story. It's so cute!

Just thought I’d comment to say major congratulations on reaching halfway. The amount of effort you’ve put into this over just under two years is astounding, and I wish you all the best in getting the other half out the way. Loved the Mew/Mewtwo story as well.

Hehehe, the Mew/Mewtwo one really made me laugh. Mew was insane, but hilarious.
    Anyway, cool banner! And congrats on reaching 50 percent!
    Last edited by The_Shuppeteer_; 28th February 2010 at 12:22 AM.

Dratini is another Pokemon that has rather boring Pokedex entries. For a Dragon?! Yes, boring. Or odd when you think about Lance's Dragonites. The one I picked has some problems in what else is called that. Anyhow, here you go.

In Process: Drifblim
    On Deck: Ivysaur, Linoone

DRATINI

Two men and a Pokemon walked between a group of small ponds scattered in a grassy field, stirring up autumn leaves as they went along. The younger one, much younger, probably around twenty, wore a dark blue cape that was always worn by the ancient Dragon Tamers Clan. “We were worried initially about your plans for this Safari Zone,” Lance said. “But I do see that you have taken special efforts to support natural conservation through this organization.”

The older one, the Safari Warden who went by the nickname of Slowpoke, gestured out to the ponds. “I think the modernization of our nation needs to pause for a bit and take steps to ensure that we do not overrun the wild. No good will come out of killing Mother Nature.”

“Right.” His attention was distracted for a moment as his Pokemon, a white and blue Dratini that was longer than his Trainer was tall, rubbed against his leg. Lance rubbed the Dragon’s head, smiling.

Warden Slowpoke chuckled at this. “You know, they say that Dratini used to live in these parts. Their eggs would hatch underwater and the young ones would keep together for safety. But then Fuchsia was founded and more and more humans came into the area. The Dragons became cautious, eventually abandoning this area altogether.”

“So I’ve heard. And other factors have killed them, so that none in the wild remain. There’s only the ones raised by the Clan left.”

“It’s a shame. We don’t want any more Pokemon getting into that state of near-extinction.”

A ripple in the water sounded by them, but the three paid it no heed. If they had, they might have noticed that a female Dragonair had come up briefly to look at them. She and two other females had been deterred from their previous spawning place, but the ancestral memory of this one remained. They had found a way here and would shortly find a way back to the ocean.

Nature was stronger than mankind realized.

-+-

After a winter of being frozen in the small pond, the Dratini eggs hatched. There were nine of them, all white and blue, all around two feet long, with rounded noses and no ornamental frills. They soon went out to explore their home, finding underground tunnels to other ponds and perhaps even the ocean. But when the days were over, they all came back to the pond where they were hatched, to sleep together as a group.

It had to be a group, with no clear-cut leader. They were weak and relied on numbers to survive. Unfortunately, it didn’t always work; one of their pack got dragged out of the water screaming as a predator managed to get a hold of her. The Dratini had to remain equals, until they were strong enough to stand up for themselves and to take claim to true leadership.

As the Safari Zone staff made sure that there were plenty of eatables in the ponds for the other Pokemon, the Dratini pack never went truly hungry. And so they grew quickly, getting to five feet and beyond as autumn came again. Growing meant shedding, however, as their developing bodies pushed out against the rigid scales that were their main means of defense. One male fell to another predator just after he had shed, before he had time to solidify a new skin.

So a different male was cautious as he swam just below the water’s surface. His scales were cracking and his body felt the stress as mild but widespread pain. But there had been a human walking about some time ago. Was it gone?

When he looked again, he saw no humans. Only a Heracross, who wasn’t interested in eating a young Dragon. So the Dratini came out of the safety of the pond and quickly found a rough rock to rub against. He used that to peel the oppressive old skin off his body. It was tough work, considering that he had five and a half feet of body to free. After some time, he had managed to get rid of the dead scales.

But as always, it wore him out. The Dratini lay down by the rock for a while, trying to rest but also trying to be wary of any predators. A ripple from the pond showed that one of his pack mates was watching out for him. However, none of them wanted to come out of the water if they didn’t have to. It was too dangerous and they still didn’t have sufficient strength to move quickly without the support of the water.

There was another ripple from the pond. This time, his peer poked his head out of the water and made a quiet call. Humans were approaching. The other Dratini then dove back underwater to safety.

The recently shed Dratini felt alarmed. He had not encountered a human directly, but ancestral memory told him that he did not want to encounter one directly. Still feeling sluggish, he slithered into a patch of tall grass. He was too tired to make it back into the pond right away. Instead, he would have to hide here and hope.

What came down the path then was a middle-aged man and two boys. They were on the other side of the pond, thankfully. One of them asked, “Gramps, can’t I have a Safari Ball to catch something? At least to try?”

“No Red, neither of you has your Trainer’s license yet. You came along as observers, remember?”

“Yeah, I know. So when can we get our licenses?”

“Don’t be so impatient,” the grandfather said, in a warm but patronizing tone. “You’ll both get your licenses in the spring when you both are ten. And I’ll keep my promise about the starter Pokemon for you both.”

Red looked disappointed. “Aw, but I turn ten in a couple of weeks. It’s your fault for having such a late birthday, Blue.”

“It is not,” Blue retorted.

“Calm down, boys. I want things to be fair for you both.”

“Sure enough, Professor Oak.”

Although he crossed his arms over his chest in a grumpy manner, Red said, “All right, Gramps.” Then he muttered something under his breath.

The Dratini felt collected enough that he could reach the pond now. He slithered into the waters, grateful for their cool feel on his tender skin. After some resting on the bottom, he would have a full set of scales again. His peer clicked an assurance that he would be closer this time, more protective.

Above the water, Blue stopped by the small pond. “Hey, was that a Dratini?”

“Don’t be an idiot,” Red said. “They don’t have any Dragon types here.”

“But there was something like that going into the water.”

The other boy waved dismissively. “It was probably some Tentacruel or a mirage. Sheesh, you need to get your eyes checked.”

However, Blue did find the shed skin that the male Dratini had left behind. As the Professor’s volunteer observer, he made notes on it and took a small scrap of it as proof. Red was still mad at him, though, for making him wait to get his Trainer’s license; he made sure that Blue’s notes and samples got conveniently but accidentally damaged.

-+-

The summer was hot. The Dratini pack was over a year old now. As they were now old and strong enough to fight off the predators, they were now old and strong enough to fight amongst each other to find out who would be the pack leader.

At least, the three males were. The four females still thought of each other as equals, and they would as they would go off into the ocean. The males were learning their ritualized battle for earning mates and power later on in the ocean. As it was, the genders had already separated to give each other space.

Today, though, the skirmishes were over something else. There was a tantalizing smell coming from the land above the pond. It wasn’t like anything the Dratinis had encountered before. However, the scent made their tongues eager and their stomachs wanting. It was some kind of very desirable food. As it came from above the pond with the males, they squabbled with each other as to who would get first claim at the food.

The shortest male realized, after a few rounds, that he was unlikely to get first claim, or any claim, to that food. That is, if he were to rely on only his strength to get it. He swam out of the way of his peers and curled around so that the tip of his tail touched his nose. It was a sign of passiveness, of acknowledging his peers’ strength. The two of them lightly thwacked him with their tails, in a normally humiliating gesture.

But he remained in a passive posture. He gave the other two praise calls. However, he was only supposed to give a praise call to one of them. Giving out two caused them to glare at each other in a spiteful manner. They both claimed the praise and soon were battling each other to decide once and for all who was the superior Dragon.

Pleased that his ploy had worked, the short male swam upwards and came out to check out the food scent. It looked unfamiliar too, a pack of rice with fish meats and kelp leaves. The Dratini gave it an experimental sniff and lick. Nothing warned him of poison or other badness, so he ate the rice thing.

He missed a Safari Ball being thrown at him.

-+-

The shortest Dratini was inside a building with no open source of water and a heavy scent of humans. He curled up against a wall and watched warily. Oddly enough, he remembered the boy who had captured him. It was that one from last autumn, when he had been nearly seen after shedding.

“I knew that I had seen one out here before,” Blue explained. “And those shed skins aren’t the same as an Arbok’s. So when I read this recipe that the Dratini line loves, I used one as bait, and finally got my proof.”

“It is amazing,” Warden Slowpoke said. “But I hope you have enough time to give him the attention and training he needs. This one seems truly wild, uncertain of humans.”

“I can do it,” the boy said with a confident smile.

The Dratini didn’t know what was going on, but he knew that his life would never be the same.

Dratini DPP entry: It is called the ‘Mirage Pokemon’ because so few have seen it. Its shed skin has been found.

Hmm... I thought Blue was the older one... doesn't really matter but...
    Great as ever and now Drifblim is next! Can't wait!
    X:

Getting kind of low on requests again, so this would be a good time to ask for one!

In Process: Ivysaur
    On Deck: Linoone

DRIFBLIM

It was a gray dreary day, at least by most opinions. Small raindrops pattered down through the leaves, on the benches, across the lake, off the Drifblim’s elastic skin. Although a steady wind pushed him around, his large purple ribbons were wrapped around a secure wooden sign that warned human hikers of wild Pokemon on the pathways. Although it was dim and dreary, it was still daytime. The Drifblim dozed, not entirely asleep.

The various patters of rain could have lulled him to sleep, he considered. There were the plops of the drops hitting leaves, the plips of drops hitting the lake water, the pluffs of the drops hitting his skin and echoing through his balloon body interior. Even though the raindrops were cool, it was soothing too, running down his sides and off his ribbons. And since he wasn’t resting near a city, the water had a clean scent, washing away anything that had stuck to him in his travels. He wasn’t a ghost of eternal rest, but he could get a temporary rest given by the rain.

Unfortunately, a shrill voice broke the serenity of the rain. “Mom, there’s another one!”

Drifblim came alert to that. He caused his body to vanish. When he opened his eyes to look around, there was a pair of humans, a boy and a woman. Even with his limited encounters with humans, he could tell that this pair was overdressed for a walk in the park. Most humans in the wild areas he spent the days in wore simple clothing, maybe layers if it were cold. This pair had fancy shirts, fancy jackets, fancy pants, fancy shoes, fancy hats, and even fancy matching umbrellas. The woman was a great deal frillier than the boy, but his outfit had several different stripe patterns. And despite the rain and mud, they seemed perfectly clean and bright.

The woman looked at Drifblim, where the boy was pointing. “What is it? A Water Pokemon?”

“No, it was another one of those balloon Pokemon,” the boy said, glaring at where he had seen Driflblim. “I want one.”

“If I knew what these balloon Pokemon were, I’d give you one,” the woman said, giving him a reassuring pat on the hand. “But why don’t you get an Eevee? I know a breeder, so we can get one easily.”

“I don’t want an Eevee; I want one of those weird balloons that disappear.”

“Or a Magby,” she tried. It seemed like she was trying to humor him, but couldn’t give him the vanishing Drifblims. “I hear Fire-types are quite popular with boys your age.”

“But I want a unique Pokemon! Can’t I have a Pokeball to capture one with? I’m sure yours could make them appear. That one was right on that sign there.”

“You should get a real Pokemon,” the woman said, but she immediately winced as she realized that had been the wrong thing to say.

“You never do what I want!” the boy shrieked, starting to bawl noisily. It was of the precise tone to be as annoying as possible with no real hurt involved.

Feeling the shriek shake his skin, Drifblim winced and tried to pull himself to behind the sign. Although it blocked his sight of them, it didn’t block the noise that well. The woman tried to calm him down, but had no authority to her voice. “That’s not true,” she told him, sounding flustered. “We’ll get you whatever Pokemon you want, but I’ve never heard of this balloon one you’ve been talking about.”

Drifblim hummed to himself, trying to block them out. Eventually, the woman managed to drag the child away. He focused on the raindrops for a while, in order to forget the interruption. When things had calmed down, he became visible again and dozed off.

As the clouds blocked out the entire sky, the only sign of sundown was an increase in darkness. Drifblim knew it instinctively, though. He opened his eyes and focused his mind. While he did so, he noticed the spoiled boy had come back, this time with a Growlithe. They were trying to sneak up on him.

When it became apparent that he saw them, Growlithe nipped at the boy’s jacket and tugged. “<I don’t think this is a good idea, young master,>” the canine said. “<We should leave him be.>”

“Get down,” the boy said, pushing Growlithe away. Then he grinned at Drifblim as if he had already won. “I’ve got you now! Even if you vanish, you’re mine!”

Drifblim vanished anyhow, not quite ready to take off for the evening. The boy ran over and grabbed where he had seen the ribbons. Since the Pokemon could see them, he let go of the sign and let the wind move him towards the pathway. He took great care to avoid brushing against the boy.

“Growlithe, sniff him out,” the boy ordered.

“<I belong to your mother, not you,>” the canine replied.

Although humans couldn’t understand Pokespeak, the boy figured it out. “Do it or I’ll tell Mom about who’s been digging up her garden.”

“<Oh fine.>” Growlithe sniffed around, then caught the balloon Pokemon’s scent. He grabbed one of Drifblim’s ribbons in his mouth, wagging his tail.

“<Excuse me,>” Drifblim said, “<but I have to be going.>”

Shaking his head, Growlithe let the boy take the invisible Drifblim’s ribbon. “<Sorry, but I’ve got to do as he says, or he’ll whine horribly.>”

“I’ve got you!” the boy shouted in triumph, jumping up. “Now show yourself.”

“<That’s not a proper reason,>” Drifblim said, making himself visible again. No point in continuing to hide.

“<Everyone does what the young master says, even my real master,>” Growlithe replied.

“You’re coming with me,” the boy said, taking out a Pokeball.

“<I won’t,>” Drifblim said. Then he began heating up his interior. You’re coming with me, he said telepathically. He flicked the Pokeball out of the boy’s hand, latched onto his other wrist, then lifted them both off the ground.

Immediately, the boy began struggling. “Hey, let go of me! You’re gonna get arrested for this!”

Growlithe barked and hopped up, but Drifblim was already caught by the wind. “<What’re you doing?>”

“<Showing him what’s it’s like to be taken. I’ll put him down a ways off; I don’t think that I could stand him for long.>”

He continued warming up, lifting them above the tree line. Below them, Growlithe yelped and followed, getting the woman’s attention. The night air was cool and the rain was letting up, letting a mist grow off the lake. It was quite peaceful and beautiful, the kind of place that Drifblim liked.

However, the boy didn’t share the same sentiments. He struggled, thrashing about trying to get rid of the ribbons. “LET ME GOoooo!” he ended the last word in a shriek that reverberated through Drifblim’s body.

Don’t do that, the balloon Pokemon said. It bugs me. Anyhow, look down.

“Then I won’t stop,” he screamed with his face contorted in rage. But then he did open his eyes and look down, only to realize just how high up they were.

That fall could kill you. Do you want to be let go right now? He related his thoughts calmly, giving no hint that he wouldn’t actually drop the boy to his death.

The boy quieted down to a whimper. He gripped the ribbons tighter and tried to make himself more secure. “You’re an evil Pokemon,” he grumbled.

What for?

“Taking me away without warning. You’re going to be in deep trouble for this.”

Weren’t you trying to take me away without warning? Without permission?

“That’s not the same,” the boy said, starting to go into a whine.

How so?

“People capture Pokemon all the time.”

We Pokemon allow you to capture us, if we want to. I do not want to be captured.

Over the rustle of the trees, Drifblim heard a call. There was another violet Drifblim rising into the air. Further along, there were a number of Drifloons and Drifblims, all rising up into the night sky. The nearest Drifblim called out telepathically, Aren’t you a little old to be kidnapping children?

I’m giving him an object lesson, he replied. Do you think we should take him along?

Ooo, yes! one of the Drifloons called out happily. We might get this one to cross the barrier.

The boy pulled the ribbons close in; he was turning tense in fright. “Where are you going? What barrier?”

We are going to the realm of the dead, the Drifblim holding him said. Sometimes we can cross the barrier between realms with humans in tow. Would you like to see the River Lethe, where the dead come to forget about life and leave it all behind?

He shook his head hard. “Noooo! I’m not dead!”

I told you not to scream, or I’ll drop you, Drifblim reminded him. At any rate, I’m a Ghost Pokemon. I can take the living to the realm of the dead if I want.

You can’t cross the barrier with an unwilling person,
    the other Drifblim pointed out.

Right. I suppose I’d better let this one go.

“Don’t drop me,” the boy said, turning quiet in fright.

Instead of doing that, Drifblim cooled his interior down, letting them drop gently to the ground. They came to the parking lot and were met by Growlithe and the boy’s mother. Drifblim let the boy go so that he only fell less than a foot. Despite the lack of risk, he still made a fuss and burst into tears.

“When did you sneak off with my Growlithe?” the woman said, closer to scolding but not quite there. “I told you to stay at the cabin.”

“I was trying to catch it and it caught me,” he wailed.

Next time, listen to your mother, Drifblim said. He had a suspicion that his attempted lesson might not affect anything. At least he’d tried.

Before the woman could capture him, Drifblim warmed himself up again and rose back up to join his kin on their nightly journey.

Drifblim Platinum entry: At dusk, swarms of them are carried aloft on the winds. When noticed, they suddenly vanish. Ghost/Flying 4

Well that Drifblim entry was wonderful, I really enjoyed it. I hate rich brats like him, that know exactly what they need to do to get what they want. Good thing too Drifblim told him off. I like the idea of the barrier and carrying him across, only if they're willing. Good job.

Here's a request, how about a Pineco/Forretress one?

Do you have one planned for HGSS US release in a few days time?
    Laurence | Rock
    3325-1721-6092
    Onix | Shuckle | Nosepass

The Drifblim one has taken number 1 on my list of favorites.
    It was...epic. I couldn't describe it. It was the best one-shot I've ever read.
    Anyway...for a request could you do Dusclops/Mime Jr. If you haven't done them before?

If it's alright, I'm gonna request Chikorita/Cyndaquil/Totodile for HGSS's U.S. release, this Sunday.

Author profile

Fizzy Bubbles info

Hi. Could I request a Flygon/Trapinch one? I'm sorry if you did I'd already, I don't know.
    Click to go to my Shop!

I'm sorry I didn' read it till now, homework... and to think this was the one I was waiting for!
    Unless your overloaded with requests, which you might be since you asked, Seedot/ Wailmer is my idea.
    Awesome though, really, all the Drifloons wanting to cross the barrier of life and death...
    X:

Been a while D: I've still been reading these, just been too lazy to review.

Anyway. Whoo! Halfway done with the (current) dex! That's amazing!

So, onto the latest one: Wow, that kid is a serious brat. He doesn't even want an Eevee? What a monster. At least maybe his family'll get some slack from his whining.

“Noooo! I’m not dead!”
    This made me chuckle. ^_^ Keep up the good work!
    FF.Net profile | Blazing Frost | Project Valentine | River Styx | Hexachromalurgy | Fizzy Bubbles

Latest PV pair: Shedinja/Sylveon - What if the MST3K guys did Roshomon? I think it would go a little something like this.

Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast