Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Giratina & The Sky Warrior! (11)

I'm likely alone in liking Newton Graceland. I liked how Zero was his former protege and that he was trying to save him from himself.

Gah, what a rip-off. When this movie was first teased I thought that Regigigas was going to be a crucial character, but then it turns out that it hardly did anything. This was just a big commercial to hype kids up for Platinum. >__>

This movie ruined Shaymin. It made her all self-centered and impatient, not at all what the Pokedex entries make her seem to be. I still can't figure out how she could talk while in regular forme, but when she went into Sky Forme, all she could say was "Shaymin."

I didn't write much about this one at all. Just a few brief thoughts:

You can give the film this - Shaymin is a well-developed character. She’s a little ****, but she’s a fleshed-out little ****. And Giratina was the most impressively presented of the Sinnoh Legendaries. But the human villain here is very dull, and Shaymin’s obnoxiousness makes it damn near impossible to get invested in her conflict or to buy her eventual friendship with Ash. That tearful goodbye is so not earned. On the plus side, wonderful art direction and animation.

I did have some more extensive thoughts on one element: Zero. Some similarities with Lawrence III become obvious immediately - pasty and light-haired, obnoxiously big air ships, as blind to repercussions for screwing with Legendaries as Ash is to girls’ crushes on him. Zero also falls into a solid cliche - that of the mad scientist who thinks doing the Awful Thing is really doing the Good Thing. And Giratina, like Lugia, has issues of discord and imbalance between Legendaries in its plot; in fact, those issues serve as a thread throughout the Sinnoh trilogy.

But within the plot of Giratina, Zero is definitely the prime villain, unlike Lawrence who was merely a catalyst. He has no more depth than Lawrence, but he is much more manic, especially toward the end, and more involved in the action. This is appropriate given his role in the plot, but IMO, Zero is not manic or mad in an entertaining sense, but in a grating one. The dub casting doesn’t help, but even in the writing, Zero is such a limited character, and the bigger issues of worlds out of whack and Giratina agitating for Dialga are so much more interesting, that Zero makes for a weak villain, and ends up dragging the film down.
    Last edited by zdbz_sn; 13th July 2017 at 3:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstardust View Post
    I'm likely alone in liking Newton Graceland.
    I was neutral about Newton cuz he just wasn't that interesting to me, tho I did like how he visited Zero in jail in the credits and how he was able to recover the Infi data.

This movie seemed like a very forced method of shoving Pokemon Platinum down our throats, what with the new Shaymin and Giratina formes, Gracidea Flowers, and the Distortion World. But I liked how we saw Regigigas in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by zdbz_sn View Post
    I did have some more extensive thoughts on one element: Zero. Some similarities with Lawrence III become obvious immediately - pasty and light-haired, obnoxiously big air ships, as blind to repercussions for screwing with Legendaries as Ash is to girls’ crushes on him.
    That's a good point regarding Zero's similarities with Jirarudan, although Zero was much more developed and seemed more involved with the plot of this movie, unlike Jirarudan who was a passive villain.

I laughed when we saw Zero get his just desserts since he was a whiny villain. I just wish that Regigigas had done so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by ᎠᎬȺᎢḤ View Post
    I laughed when we saw Zero get his just desserts since he was a whiny villain. I just wish that Regigigas had done so much more.
    Regigigas did seem to be quite neglected, although it received the funniest scene in the movie during the end credits when it attacked the Rocket-dan.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516