Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Red, Blue and Yellow on 3DS Virtual Console - Discussion

Default Red, Blue and Yellow on 3DS Virtual Console - Discussion

Well, the most unlikely Virtual Console release is happening. The original first generation of Pokemon on Game Boy!! What are your thoughts?

I was pleasantly surprised by this announcement - easily the highlight of today's Direct for me. I think it's a fun, fitting choice for the anniversary. I still have my original Blue + Yellow cartridges with new batteries, but it'll be nice to be able to play these games on something that's backlit (unlike the GB/GBC) and can trade without a cable.

Someone brought up an interesting question in the News thread about the possibility of them fixing some of the blatant bugs (like "Focus Energy" destroying your crit rate instead of raising it.) I have no idea how this process works, so such changes may not even be possible, but I'd be OK with them tweaking such things that were clearly programming errors in the original.

Stuff that was deliberate at the time but changed in later Gens (single-use TMs, the Poison x Bug relationship, moves that changed type, etc.), I'd prefer they left alone - apart from making "Lick" deal SE damage against Psychic-types, since it seems like (and it may have been outright confirmed) that was a bug/error and not an intentional type match-up choice at the time.
    Last edited by phoenix12; 13th November 2015 at 4:30 AM.

I was very excited for the news. Probably one of the most unexpected and this time, you can battle and trade wirelessly, unlike having to use the Link Cable back then.

Sugimori art used; quote from Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
    Banner created by me
        Spoiler:- Claims:

Images from Bulbapedia, Banner from upload to Imgur

I wonder if all of the previous glitches will be present. I hope not (except for the Mew glitch).

I hope all the glitches are present. I want to end up in the weird zone leaving the Safari Zone takes you too. I also want to clone my items.

Has anyone seen the Japanese bundle these are getting? I really hope we get something like that. I would preorder it in a heartbeat.

woot21 out dawgs
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    And isn't Magikarp's Final Smash obvious? It's called:
        Spoiler:- Best move ever.:
    3DS FC: 2423-2730-4422
    Organizing a Smash tournament

Quote Originally Posted by woot21 View Post
    Has anyone seen the Japanese bundle these are getting? I really hope we get something like that. I would preorder it in a heartbeat.
    I would LOVE if they made something like that available worldwide - especially if it emulates the original packaging. Since there wasn't any mention of something physical coming anywhere but Japan, though, I won't get my hopes up.

It does make sense for Japan to get something extra special, since it's the actual release anniversary there.

The thing I'm wondering about is how Mew will be obtained this time, other than the Mew Glitch. sounds like time to bring back the Mew Machines

Banner created by me

What will your teams be guys? And which ones are you guys buying? I might buy Red or Yellow.

I'll probably buy Red with my team being Venusaur/Alakazam/Lapras/Arcanine/Dodrio/Magneton

Okay, maybe not the best team with Steel being removed from Magneton but it's still what I'd go with.

I remember playing my brother's Blue version when the games came here in 1998. I never beat the game since that was my first time playing Pokemon and wasn't mine (also wasn't experienced xD). I bought my own version years later but I never found the time to complete it due other Pokemon games.

So with these games coming in February. I'll buy the Blue version and finally beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverChiko View Post
    I'll probably buy Red with my team being Venusaur/Alakazam/Lapras/Arcanine/Dodrio/Magneton

Okay, maybe not the best team with Steel being removed from Magneton but it's still what I'd go with.
    Nice team broski. My team: Charizard,Nideoking/queen,Hitmonlee,Slowbro,Jolteon, and Sronlax! MY TEAM IS FULL OF MONSTERS!

My team shall be:

Charizard, Jolteon, Mew, Hitmonlee, Tentacruel and Venusaur/Exeggutor.

Banner created by me

Which game(s)?

Definitely Red, since that's the only one of these I've never played (not that it's THAT different from Blue, but still.) Possibly Yellow too...and if we do get cool packages like Japan, I'll be seriously tempted to buy 'em all.

What team?

I've been on a big Nuzlocke kick lately, so I might try that first...or just Pokémon I've never used during a playthrough before.

I just had a thought.

Does anyone think it'd be possible for GameFreak to implement the Physical/Special split in the VC versions of RBY? It would make a lot more Pokemon usable, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverChiko View Post
    I just had a thought.

Does anyone think it'd be possible for GameFreak to implement the Physical/Special split in the VC versions of RBY? It would make a lot more Pokemon usable, imo.
    Since this may be exactly the same game that was originally released almost 20 years ago, there could be no physical/special split if they wish to retain the mechanics.

Banner created by me

Yeah, making these trade compatible was pretty much necessary (it'd be somewhat pointless if you could never complete the Dex or simply evolve certain Mons.)

Fixing some of the most blatant, problematic bugs would be alright ("Focus Energy", displaying incorrect messages for attack effectiveness against dual-typed Mons, etc.)

But when you start introducing later-gen standards, like the Physical/Special split, I think you're getting too far away from re-creating the experience of playing Gen I, which seems to be the point here. You could argue that removing any bugs does that too, but those were never meant to be a part of these games.

Ah, those are good points. Also, I forgot for a second that Gengar ran T-bolt and Psyshic anyway.

I'm hoping the Missigno glitch stays but I would like for Mew to become obtainable by a legitimate method.

Please, God - add in this games Blue/Green/Leaf!
    http://cs627116.vk.me/v627116782/1b4aa/_pjfXP3Ki4s.jpg
    http://cs627116.vk.me/v627116782/1b4ba/QCNhHKMYFq4.jpg
    And I am still want remake of Yellow!

I'm not sure what the chances of them updating Pokemon Transporter to make it able to transport Pokemon from these games to the Pokemon Bank (and last gen games). If they would do so, it would be awesome, but if they don't... welll, it's a shame. Either way, I am really happy about this. Pokemon Red was not only my first Pokemon game, but also my first computer / gameboy game, so the nostalgia factor is very high.

Has anything been revealed about the price yet?
    Pokemon Y Team:
    Pokémon Omega Sapphire Team:
    Pokémon White Team:
    Pokémon Pearl Team:

I don't understand game programming enough to speak about this at length, but we know that Pokémon's data structure was totally overhauled in Gen III: adding Personality Values (which determined Abilities, Nature, Gender - which had previously relied on a Pokémon's Attack IV.) Speaking of IV's, the IV system was overhauled too, ranging from 0-31 instead of the former 0-15. All of this restructuring was a big part of why you couldn't transfer Gen I-II Mons into Gen III...which makes me think we won't be able to transfer them from these releases into Gen VI.

Maybe making it possible is more doable than I realize, but I think it's safer not to expect it.
    Last edited by phoenix12; 13th November 2015 at 3:05 PM.

Going to be getting Blue & Yellow, with my brother getting Red & Yellow. Of course we have to get Yellow, but you also have to buy the originals too! I know I'll pick Blastoise for Blue and definitely use all starters in Yellow. I might also use Primeape & Butterfree in Yellow. Besides also Pidgeot, I'm not sure who else to use for my Blue team.

EDIT: Ultimately decided on these teams for the games:

Blue- Blastoise, Pidgeot, Ninetales, Jolteon, Exeggutor & Dragonite
    Yellow- Pikachu, Primeape, Butterfree, Venusaur, Charizard & Blastoise
    Last edited by Torpoleon; 13th November 2015 at 7:16 PM.
    My Top 5 Favorite Pokémon

3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97 | PSN ID: Ultra_Zach97
    Claims: Blastoise, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Joel from The Last of Us, Law & Order: SVU, The Dark Knight Rises & Multi-Man Smash theme

I'd like to see Super Gameboy color option, but beside this I want R/B/Y in all its glitchy glory. Also I want Crystal on 3ds now.

I don't care much for the VC version of these games: I still own physical copies of R/B/Y, so I have no intention of downloading these atm. I just hope the glitches are removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
    Also I want Crystal on 3ds now.
    After seeing the news, it makes me wonder if they will release the 2nd gen. games later on. They're only re-releasing R/B/Y because it's to celebrate the 20th anniversary, but I guess it would only make sense. Fans would also love to return to the original Johto.

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptrigon View Post
    After seeing the news, it makes me wonder if they will release the 2nd gen. games later on. They're only re-releasing R/B/Y because it's to celebrate the 20th anniversary, but I guess it would only make sense. Fans would also love to return to the original Johto.
    I would love to see GSC on 3DS VC in the near future (as well as the Gen 3, 4 & 5 main series games on Wii U VC in the near future).
    My Top 5 Favorite Pokémon

3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97 | PSN ID: Ultra_Zach97
    Claims: Blastoise, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Joel from The Last of Us, Law & Order: SVU, The Dark Knight Rises & Multi-Man Smash theme

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast