Thread: Day & Night

Default Day & Night

G/S introduced the day and night cycle: Which time of day did you like the most in these games, and what did you think of the feature in general? Please try and explain your thoughts thoroughly, not just "I like ____".

The day and night cycle was my favorite thing about Gold and Silver tbh. I loved playing the games at night and walking around in the overworld during that time. The slight change in battle BGM at night was also a nice touch, as was finding certain Pokemon like Spinarak in Gold more easily.

I have mixed feelings about this feature. On one hand, I liked it back in the day because it made the games feel less static since the overworld looked different depending on if it was night or day (never really played in the morning that much but I don't recall it being any different from the day) compared to 1st generation where everything looked the same all the time. I also remember that the battle music against wild Pokemon changed depending on the time, which was rather cool.

Apart from that, it didn't really do much for me. The differences in what Pokemon could be caught was very minor between the times of the day, only a very small number of species was affected, which felt underwhelming. Then there was that with Espeon and Umbreon but apart from that one time I used an Umbreon on my Silver team, it was only a one-time thing since I otherwise only got them for the Pokedex (though I'm not really sure since I remember training an Espeon on at one point, but that was probably more for fun than anything else). Other than that, I thought the change between day and night was too drastic. It just happened so suddenly. I know that they couldn't do that much with the technology back then, but it felt weird compared to what it is like in future generations.

In general, I feel that this feature (for its time at least) was a bit overrated. I was looking through some older threads recently and saw people praising this feature and hating on 3rd gen for not having it. I was personally never really bothered with its absence in 3rd generation, and it was only really the visual effect that was missing in R/S/E anyway. Seeing as nobody praised 4th gen for bringing it back, I don't think it was much to write home about in this generation to start with. I guess these games deserve credit for actually introducing it but not for doing anything good with it (which is how I feel about many other features introduced in this generation). I found this feature to be better implemented in generations 4-6 (mostly because of the less drastic changes and better visual effects all around) but I believe that it can be done even better than what they have already done, not that it mattes much though since there are many other features in the series that can be focused on instead of stuff like this. I guess I have to say that I do like the feature (the way it is now), but apart from the visual changes, it doesn't do a lot for me.
    Last edited by Kalosian; 26th March 2015 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling error, small elaboration

When I played Gen 2 for the first time, I honestly wasn't a huge fan of the day and night feature. I remember one reason for this was because night time looked so dark on my GBA's screen that I could barely see what I was doing. Of course, this problem went away when I got my GBA SP thanks to the screen having a light. Once I had my SP to play on, I think night became my favourite time of day for aesthetic reasons. The overworld looked pretty beautiful at night imo.

Nowadays, I'd say that I *do* like the day/night feature, mostly because I've gotten so used to it in GSC and other games. However, it's not super important to me. Like Kalosian, I didn't really care that it was limited or absent in the Gen 3 games.
    ~ * * ~

I think it was one of the better new features introduced in Generation II,although nowhere near as important as breeding or the ability to hold items.I especially liked the fact the battle music changed slightly at night and the overworld at night in general.In fact,I didn't mind there were only three time phases in Generation II as I found the overworld in Generation IV unpleasant to look at during certain phases of the day(most notably from 18:00 to 19:00).

The first time I was introduced to Pokemon was in Gen 2 with Pokemon Crystal. Although the Day/Night change did not have as big of an effect in Gen 2 than it does now I still prefer the Gen 2 Day Night cycle. You might not get many special things like in the newer games depending on the time but Gen II was the first and I absolutely love the music changes as the cycle goes through. I also obtained my favorite Pokemon, Umbreon through the Cycle in Gen II so it has a special place for me. I still do love the cycles in Gens III,IV,V and VI but with the nostalgia and great music Gen II Day/Night cycle goes up top. I think I preferred night more in the cycle because of the changes of music and the new variety of Pokemon.
    Come to SerebiiHangout! Where Serebii members can chat, hangout and organize clan wars. http://xat.com/SerebiiHangout

I liked the day time cuz it was bright. I had trouble playing gold version when it was night due to the darker graphics.