I've had a fair few shinies in my experience.. i'll try to list them all down:
Shinies that I currently have on my stadium 2 cart:
- ditto (obtained via mimic)
- gyarados - 0/14/10/10/10/10 dvs, very disappointed, so close to 8/15
- steelix (no idea about dvs, obtained from friend)
- tyranitar - 0/10 hp/atk, used him in poke cup round 2, born as larvitar using shiny ditto
Formerly had, have caught:
- paras (ilex forest)
- tentacool (near cinnabar)
- zubat (bruce wayne's mansion)
- geodude (route 45)
But my very first shiny....
In july 2001, i was borrowing a friend's gba with silver. He had done the 8 badges but not the league, and had let me borrow to play around in his save. I went into whirl islands and encountered Lugia, but he had a strange set of sparkles and was a different color to the Lugia i'd remembered (from Pokemon 2000). I caught it and used good tms on it and started training it and all that, totally unaware that it was shiny and unbelievably rare. When i gave the gba back my friend was annoyed that i'd used his tms on things, so he restarted. Considering how soon after the game had come out, this could have been one of the earliest encounters with a shiny legendary... i can't imagine there have been more than a handful ever, even since then.
Now i can just do the dv trick with the gb tower to transfer shiny dvs to anything i feel like, but it'll always be special if i run into a shiny legitimately. I always carry a few master balls just in case