Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: The Official G/S/C SHINY Thread

Now that I'm playing Gold version once again, I can't help but recall the time when I found my first G/S/C Shiny in the original GB Color cartridges. It was a Shiny Poppo (Pidgey), and I kept hoping that I'd find one again today as I was playing the Virtual Console's Gold version.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    According to Bulbapedia, a shiny Pokemon will have an Attack IV of 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15 in Gen II (and the Defense, Speed, and Special IVs will all be 10).

Also in Gen II, a Pokemon's gender is determined by its Attack IV (0-15 in this generation) and gender ratio, with females having lower Attack IVs in species that can be either gender.
    In a species with a gender ratio of 1/8 female & 7/8 male, the Pokemon will be female only if its Attack IV falls in the lowest 1/8 of the 0-15 range. So, the Pokemon's Attack IV must be 0 or 1.

Since neither 0 nor 1 are listed in the possible shiny Attack IVs above, female Pokemon from species with a 1/8 female gender ratio cannot be shiny in Gen II.
    Thank you for explaining Yet, I do see people hatching shiny cyndaquils online so I have no clue what is going on -_-
    Perhaps there is a change with the Virtual consoles?

Interested in gen7 Multi battles and Battle Royales?
    Join our DiscordChannel for some jolly coop!

Quote Originally Posted by Azulart View Post
    Thank you for explaining Yet, I do see people hatching shiny cyndaquils online so I have no clue what is going on -_-
    Perhaps there is a change with the Virtual consoles?
    They would be hatching shiny male Cyndaquils.
    Female Pokemon of species with a 1/8 female & 7/8 male gender ratio cannot be shiny in Gen II, but males can. Males from 1/8 female & 7/8 male species will have an Attack IV in the 2-15 range (i.e. the upper 7/8 of the 0-15 scale) and can therefore have one of the shiny Attack IV values.
    >>// \\<<

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    They would be hatching shiny male Cyndaquils.
    Female Pokemon of species with a 1/8 female & 7/8 male gender ratio cannot be shiny in Gen II, but males can. Males from 1/8 female & 7/8 male species will have an Attack IV in the 2-15 range (i.e. the upper 7/8 of the 0-15 scale) and can therefore have one of the shiny Attack IV values.
    Thanks for clearing it out Aquarelle !

Interested in gen7 Multi battles and Battle Royales?
    Join our DiscordChannel for some jolly coop!

Found a shiny Gengar while playing in the Sprout Tower, and I did the glitch to get a shiny Ditto for breeding some more shinies to send over.

OT: Vlinny (M), Voltaire (S), FC: 2552-3278-3638

Trying to sr for a shiny ho-oh did about 300 no luck yet.

Saved up for Dratini at the game corner and when I got about 7000 coins I decided to just hunt Ekans instead. Got shiny Ekans in about 20 minutes. I still had enough for Abra so not even 5 mins later I got shiny Abra! Was pretty happy about that. Now I'm breeding Dratini with shiny gyarados but collecting the eggs is taking FOREVER.
    Last edited by Lurantis; 1st November 2017 at 8:44 PM.
    FC: 3239-5671-6159

Pokemon Gold VC Shinys:

Just a quick question - should NPC trainer's pokemon ever be shiny? I'm sure I've just encountered one while playing through Silver on the virtual console.

Inside the Rocket hideout in Mahogany Town and battling one of the scientists. I'm using a (non-shiny) Heracross, his Ditto uses transform and the resulting sprite is very clearly a shiny purple Heracross. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention when the battle started so have no idea whether the Ditto was shiny before transforming.

I was always pretty sure that NPC trainers never have shinies, so my assumption is that its some glitch to do with transform? Unfortunately my knowledge of the mechanics isn't good enough to know, but I thought it was pretty interesting nonetheless!

Quote Originally Posted by pok3maniac View Post
    Just a quick question - should NPC trainer's pokemon ever be shiny? I'm sure I've just encountered one while playing through Silver on the virtual console.

Inside the Rocket hideout in Mahogany Town and battling one of the scientists. I'm using a (non-shiny) Heracross, his Ditto uses transform and the resulting sprite is very clearly a shiny purple Heracross. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention when the battle started so have no idea whether the Ditto was shiny before transforming.

I was always pretty sure that NPC trainers never have shinies, so my assumption is that its some glitch to do with transform? Unfortunately my knowledge of the mechanics isn't good enough to know, but I thought it was pretty interesting nonetheless!
    It's not shiny; it's just that the Transform sprites have a different colouration than regular sprites in GSC.

Check the image here - regular Ditto Transforms into a regular Snubbull, but the Transformed Snubbull sprite has a purplish palette.
    >>// \\<<

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112