Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 170

Thread: Global Warming

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dhaka,Bangladesh
    Posts
    98

    Default Global Warming

    I just read a book called State of Fear by Michael Crighton. It is a novel but its claims and credentials are authentic[I have checked.] It states that global warming might be actually beneficial [grass growing in Sahara north of Sahel]and most of the evidence is against it.

    What do you think?And please, OPINIONS AND REASONS!
    "...And he who defeats his enemies by stratagem is as much to be praised as he who defeats them by force."Machiavelli,The Prince.

    Visit my art thread!
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=359030

    Credit to oske for the banner.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GCN Cookie Land. Yummm
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    First can you check this site out...http://nov55.com/gbwm.html

    It's pretty good on saying that GLobal Warming doesn't excist.

    So um I would like to know who does the author say the "Scientist" there most likely just Scientist while most "CLimatoligist" say that Global Warming is a hoax.

    Balance.Power.Destruction
    (credit to Skiyomi for awsome images)

    First Shiny Hunt:

    46 Hatches In

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    None of your business.
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Global Warming is not a hoax. About a month ago, I read in the newspapers and online that this summer Antarctica's ice would ALL melt, or nearly all of it. What do you say about the annual increase in the global temperature? Coincidence? I think not.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Amongst good company :)
    Posts
    3,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maspireil View Post
    Global Warming is not a hoax. About a month ago, I read in the newspapers and online that this summer Antarctica's ice would ALL melt, or nearly all of it. What do you say about the annual increase in the global temperature? Coincidence? I think not.
    You trust what you read in the papers and on the net?

    Not the smartest thing I've ever heard.

    As for Global Warming being beneficial, it very well could be, although I would like to see some proof...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    545

    Default

    First can you check this site out...http://nov55.com/gbwm.html

    It's pretty good on saying that GLobal Warming doesn't excist.
    And he does not appear to have any credentials. He's a lone scientist. And his argument about CO2 going into oceans acts as if oceans are a bottomless hole, when infact, studies have shown that oceans are not able to absorb as much CO2 as they used to. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18723606/.

    To the OP, every cloud has a silver lining. In death, for example, you don't have to do chores (wierd example, but most likely true). But then, is dying a good thing? I don't think so.
    "It may be that the universe is just one of those things that happens from time to time."
    - Edward Tryon

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Green Hill Town
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Global warming, in my opinion, is very real. Whether or not it is caused by humans, there is definate proof that global temperatures have been rising over the last century or so. Personally, I believe that it is caused by man, but whether or not it really is, it is occuring as I type this.
    Originally Posted by Ledian_X
    And now you have God prancing around your ranch. How DO you sleep at night?


    What to say, what to say, what to say...um, hi!

    Diamond FC:3051 4644 2102

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GCN Cookie Land. Yummm
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strants View Post
    And he does not appear to have any credentials. He's a lone scientist. And his argument about CO2 going into oceans acts as if oceans are a bottomless hole, when infact, studies have shown that oceans are not able to absorb as much CO2 as they used to. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18723606/.

    To the OP, every cloud has a silver lining. In death, for example, you don't have to do chores (wierd example, but most likely true). But then, is dying a good thing? I don't think so.
    msnbc is in the tank for liberals so I don't even want to look at that link...

    Quote Originally Posted by encas View Post
    Global warming, in my opinion, is very real. Whether or not it is caused by humans, there is definate proof that global temperatures have been rising over the last century or so. Personally, I believe that it is caused by man, but whether or not it really is, it is occuring as I type this.
    Okay yes it may well be happening but I believe that man didn't cause it...but to answer the topic...yes it would be benificul...I mean look at the dinasuar era it was always 80 degrees so it was benifical back then so it should be now.

    No more BLizzards and it probably helps other things.

    But the thing is there have been...oh a ton of Global WArmings in the past millions of years...so that's what I think.

    Balance.Power.Destruction
    (credit to Skiyomi for awsome images)

    First Shiny Hunt:

    46 Hatches In

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In U.K
    Posts
    133

    Default

    I do think global warming is happening natrualy but with our help whitch is the bit thats making it a bad thing, we are making it happen faster cus global warming has happened in the past and some of those times it change the face of our planet for good reasons.

    Its only seen as bad cus its happening too fast and the evioment just cant adjust fast enough, its only going faster cus of us. It is beneficial for somethings but not for most things, i think its happening so the human race will be forced to neither change or die off.
    ...
    Pokemon Black.
    Trainer Name: Ben
    FC: 4083 8064 6281

    Incass i can help, i can Breed: Snivy, Cyndaquil, Todadile and Zorua

    Looking for: Looking for all starters, primary Turtwig and Torchic.
    Also alooking for Rhyhorn, Magby, Elekid, Porygon, Magnemite, Probopase,

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Californ-I-A, United States
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    msnbc is in the tank for liberals so I don't even want to look at that link...
    For Christ's sake. Are you serious? If they have proof, then why the hell does it matter what political stance they have?

    For all you people saying it's beneficial, have you EVER seen a farm nowadays?
    In California, a ton of them are shriveling up and dying because heat-waves and drought.
    Don't you DARE say it's beneficial, because right now we're at the tip of the iceberg, and it sucks.
    It's been putting a financial strain on farmers (us), and the explosive population NEEDS the food we grow.

    grass growing in Sahara north of Sahel
    Enlighten me: What would this grass do?

    Edit: Heatwaves in France, guys? Yeah, the ones that killed a bunch of people? That's going to get worse.
    Last edited by Topaz Archer; 8th August 2008 at 8:59 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GCN Cookie Land. Yummm
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topaz Archer View Post
    For Christ's sake. Are you serious? If they have proof, then why the hell does it matter what political stance they have?

    For all you people saying it's beneficial, have you EVER seen a farm nowadays?
    In California, a ton of them are shriveling up and dying because heat-waves and drought.
    Don't you DARE say it's beneficial, because right now we're at the tip of the iceberg, and it sucks.
    It's been putting a financial strain on farmers (us), and the explosive population NEEDS the food we grow.


    Enlighten me: What would this grass do?

    Edit: Heatwaves in France, guys? Yeah, the ones that killed a bunch of people? That's going to get worse.

    First because MSNBC is Liberal so they carry there agenda. So that's why.

    And just one question.....how do you explain the record cold temps this Winter?

    Balance.Power.Destruction
    (credit to Skiyomi for awsome images)

    First Shiny Hunt:

    46 Hatches In

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Californ-I-A, United States
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyogre35 View Post
    And just one question.....how do you explain the record cold temps this Winter?
    Depends on where you live. I've heard people farther away from me say it has been way cooler, but people around here only have to wear a T-shirt and a very light jacket, even though we all remember when it was freezing.

    The La Nina status is why.
    http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...ub=CTVNewsAt11
    The weather phenomenon La Nina will bring Canada the coldest winter in nearly 15 years, Environment Canada warned Friday.
    Environment Canada's temperature forecast shows the majority of the country will experience a "temperature anomaly" of below-normal temperatures through the months of December, January and February.
    Much of Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan, Alberta and parts of British Columbia and southern Ontario will also see above-normal precipitation.
    David Phillips, senior climatologist with Environment Canada, told The Canadian Press that the temperature and precipitation abnormalities are likely the result of the weather phenomenon La Nina.
    La Nina, meaning the little girl, is the appearance of cooler-than-normal waters in the eastern and central Pacific Ocean.
    "La Nina is thought to occur due to increases in the strength of the normal patterns of trade wind circulation," Environment Canada's website says.
    "For reasons not yet fully understood, periodically these trade winds are strengthened, increasing the amount of cooler water."
    These cooler waters result in wetter-than-normal conditions in the northern hemisphere and changes to the jet stream over North America.
    "The shifted jet stream contributes to large departures from the normal location and strength of storm paths. The overall changes in the atmosphere result in temperature and precipitation anomalies over North America which can persist for several months," Environment Canada says.
    In the past, La Nina caused drought and floods around the world. It also whips up more hurricanes in the Atlantic.
    The effects of the weather phenomenon have already been felt in parts of Western Canada. Earlier this month, a fierce storm dumped nearly 80 centimetres of snow on Whistler, B.C. over 48 hours. The massive snowfall prompted management at the famous Whistler Blackcomb ski hill to open one week ahead of schedule
    This is basically in an easier to understand form, but from a simple Google Search of "Colder Winters Global Warming Proof", I found a couple websites from Climatologists with all sorts of charts and graphs and scientific explanations.

    But right now, I'm leaving. Low-blood sugar and sleep deprivation ftl.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Can't get out...
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topaz Archer View Post
    Depends on where you live. I've heard people farther away from me say it has been way cooler, but people around here only have to wear a T-shirt and a very light jacket, even though we all remember when it was freezing.

    The La Nina status is why.
    http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...ub=CTVNewsAt11


    This is basically in an easier to understand form, but from a simple Google Search of "Colder Winters Global Warming Proof", I found a couple websites from Climatologists with all sorts of charts and graphs and scientific explanations.

    But right now, I'm leaving. Low-blood sugar and sleep deprivation ftl.
    For us, that would explain the snow that stayed from December to February (it usually stays only a couple of days).
    Name: Dawn
    FC: 0087 1855 8494
    Win/Lose/Draw
    6 / 3 / 0

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The TV world
    Posts
    127

    Default

    but the world's temp al way's goe's up naturally, then an ice age counter's it. so by that there will be an ice age soon >.>
    check out my sprite comic ;3
    http://www.drunkduck.com/Pokemon_yel...x.php?p=410268

    The banner was over the 46800 pixels limit so it was removed. Please read the signature rules.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    the wired
    Posts
    706

    Default

    ^^
    Edit: Yes, there were a few warming periods in history. However, statisics show that we're not going to have an Ice Age. It will get hotter and hotter and hotter until we're all dead, basically.


    There's a record drought in the Southeast right now. There was also no snow this winter where it normally should've snowed in my town. The effects are all around us.

    But oops, my word won't make someone happy because I'm a liberal.

    Cut it open, no puking
    Don't give a f-ck if I cut my frog
    OH GOD BLOOD

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    545

    Default

    msnbc is in the tank for liberals so I don't even want to look at that link...
    Okay then, here's another link. http://www.spiegel.de/international/...483540,00.html. And another http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10...on_sinks_full/.

    Also, I'm starting to care less and less about global warming. I'm starting to get annoyed with global warming. Pollution is the real problem. Take acid rain, for example, which destroys plant life.
    "It may be that the universe is just one of those things that happens from time to time."
    - Edward Tryon

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Viridian City
    Posts
    29

    Default

    I'm sure they called it something liek Climate chaos, for the simple reason that we were heating up then we were cooling down and thye just don't know whats happening
    Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    Someone wants to Role Play death note. It doesn't sound kinky at all.




    feralgatr dragonite and gengar are teh shiny

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The TV world
    Posts
    127

    Default

    im sure well al be ok O.O
    i mean it's not going to kill us for 200 year's, then well all be dead, wevn if we did stop global warming when the sun goe's out were all doomed.... poor us...
    check out my sprite comic ;3
    http://www.drunkduck.com/Pokemon_yel...x.php?p=410268

    The banner was over the 46800 pixels limit so it was removed. Please read the signature rules.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    the wired
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenArcanine View Post
    im sure well al be ok O.O
    i mean it's not going to kill us for 200 year's, then well all be dead, wevn if we did stop global warming when the sun goe's out were all doomed.... poor us...
    The sun won't go out for billions of years. And unless we move to another planet (and mess that one up) our children or children's children will die.

    Unless we reverse the effects of Global Warming ourselves, nothing is going to change.

    Cut it open, no puking
    Don't give a f-ck if I cut my frog
    OH GOD BLOOD

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    'Straya
    Posts
    1,332

    Default

    Thing is, as long as there are idiots who believe there is no such thing, and continue to drive their 7.0L truck up and down the street because they have nothing better to do, or fly in their own personal jet or helicopter because they feel above using scheduled transport, or who wear jumpers around the house because the airconditioning is too cold, then there is nothing we can do.

    What it would take is a whole lot of laws which make reckless use of fossil fuels illegal - and of course that would be met with a whole lot of opposition.

    I know for a fact, for instance, that if climate change continues at the rate its going then Australia's tourism and agriculture industry is going to go down the drain (both of those industries account for a huge percentage of our GDP). The Great Barrier Reef will be destroyed permanently: a whole ecosystem, gone. Our winters will be too warm to have snow in the Aussie Alps. The Murray-Darling River system will dry up and take farming with it.

    But still, people are opposed to any sort of action. One of my friends drives to school because she doesn't like the bus. When petrol was more expensive, she went on the bus, but now that its gone down a bit, she drives everywhere again...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,359

    Default

    I don't believe in Global Warming. I think it's just over hyped nonsense, and that the earth goes through natural heating and cooling cycles. There were most likely hotter periods before in the past. I don't believe in GW, but I do believe in perserving the earth and not polluting.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Global warming really is past the "debate" point... If the world's leading scientists all claim that global warming is happening and is almost definitely caused by man (IPCC 2007) and all the other side has is a thriller writer with virtually no expertise in climatology and a few conservative talk show hosts, I don't see why this is still even going on... I realize that this is more of an argument by authority, but I'm just stating that there really is virtually no serious support of the idea that global warming doesn't exist and isn't caused by man by any major figures with understanding of the subject.

    Incidentally, for those of you stating that it's just natural flux in the earth's climate, current climate change is extremely rapid, whereas natural flux takes place over thousands of years... Here's a link showing this (note the extremely rapid temperature spike near the end in comparison to, say, the Little Ice Age's gradual flux):
    Link
    While this is from Wikipedia, all data used to create this image is appropriately sourced below the picture.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Posts
    8,877

    Default

    We can defenently say that the Earth has warmed. Then again it has been cooling for the past 7 or so years. That being said, there is no doubt that we have been in a warming trend before that.

    WHAT has not been proven, and what major scientists DO disagree on, is if it is man made. Thinking the world's leading scientists all agree on it is completely wrong. Even the IPCC disagreed on the final findings.

    Those really are the facts. We are warming, we have been since the mini Ice Age of the 1700s. We are due for another Ice Age soon enough, and we will have one. Is it caused by man kind? No one knows for sure.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In the gyms.
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Anybody can belive what they want. I don't know but it seems like it's real but where I live it snowed alot in February. So I don't know what to belive.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dhaka,Bangladesh
    Posts
    98

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by encas View Post
    Global warming, in my opinion, is very real. Whether or not it is caused by humans, there is definate proof that global temperatures have been rising over the last century or so. Personally, I believe that it is caused by man, but whether or not it really is, it is occuring as I type this.
    Listen, you cannot trust the news media. They present the story in a ay as to increase their popularity and get money.And, global warming is real [in a way]but whether it will lead to the Earth being a fiery hell or the next Ice Age- well, that is the dispute.

    P.S. I have a theory about this theory to be published here tomorrow.
    Last edited by df006; 10th August 2008 at 12:44 PM.
    "...And he who defeats his enemies by stratagem is as much to be praised as he who defeats them by force."Machiavelli,The Prince.

    Visit my art thread!
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=359030

    Credit to oske for the banner.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    the wired
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Listen to this. If Global Warming is just some hype, think. That would cause thousands of buisnesses to loose money. And the government doesn't want that.

    And just because the news isn't some conservapedia crap doesn't mean it's not truthful.

    Cut it open, no puking
    Don't give a f-ck if I cut my frog
    OH GOD BLOOD

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •