Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Mechanics of Roaming

Default The Mechanics of Roaming

I'm currently hunting down a Legendary Beast, which is proving incredibly difficult... yeah, I knew it would be going in, but I feel like knowing a little more about how "roaming" really works would make the whole process a lot easier. Since Serebii doesn't have a mechanics guide for it yet, I thought I'd check if there was someone a little more knowledgeable about game mechanics who could give me some answers.

First, in what pattern (if any) does the location of the roaming Pokemon change? Is it like in D/P, where the Pokemon switches to a location adjacent to its previous one whenever you enter an area, or is it completely random? Does the location change when you use Fly? When you enter a house? When you enter a battle? When you reset the game?

Second, once you're in the same area as the roaming Pokemon, how difficult is it to encounter them? Will they be the first Pokemon you see? Are they Common, Uncommon, Rare, etc?

I think this information would help a LOT of people come up with more efficient strategies for catching these Pokemon. Please share if you know anything!

I don't know about the pattern, but they are quite easy to find, actually.

Go to route between Celadon & Saffron (Route 7) while having a Level 30-49 Pokemon as the first Pokemon in your team, along with a bunch of Repels.

Use the repel, and search the grass. If the repel runs out and you haven't found the Beast, go to Celadon, use repel, return to the grass and search again, and keep doing it until you find the Beast. Throw your Masterball, and it's yours

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

I've been doing something similar with Pallet Town and Route 21, but I hadn't thought of using Repels... that WOULD make catching these things a whole lot easier. Thanks for the tip!

Some answers to my own questions, now that I've caught my Entei:

1) The pattern is totally random, as far as I was able to tell while tracking Entei's location via pokedex. It changes every time you exit an area, but does NOT change when you enter a battle with another Pokemon.

2) They are not that hard to find once you're in their area. Even without using repels, it never took me more than 7 tries to find one.

Not sure about FrLg, but in GSC everytime you changed a location, it would move from the route it was to an adjacent route.
    Three Cheers for the first Special oriented Water/Ground Pokemon: Gastrodon!

If your friends are getting married, don't forget to borrow them your newly revived Omanyte.

My oh my, I can't find Entei and it's absolutely ticking me off. Does Max Repel work just as good as Repel?
    Blurrz, the Blastoise Fan, Edmonton Oilers Supporter, and Halo Addict

Max repel is the same as a normal repel, so yes, it does.

if your also looking for the latis on RSE then heres a methord
    1 go to route 201
    2 get 1 repel
    3 use repel and get on acro bike,
    4 put something heavy on your B button
    5 leave bike bouncing for 3-4 hours
    6 return and use a masterball on the lati that appeared
    3DS-FC: 2621-3638-7159
    Will Trade Event Celebi (ID No. 31121) For Meloetta or Genesect! Just PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by NINJA PENGUIN View Post
    if your also looking for the latis on RSE then heres a methord
    1 go to route 201
    2 get 1 repel
    3 use repel and get on acro bike,
    4 put something heavy on your B button
    5 leave bike bouncing for 3-4 hours
    6 return and use a masterball on the lati that appeared
    can you or can you not do this on FR/LG?cause i might try this.

can you or can you not do this on FR/LG?cause i might try this.
    You cannot, as there is no Acro bike in FR/LG.

And that method seems somewhat wrong as well, if I'm remember correctly... as simply bouncing in the same spot would not change the location of the roaming Pokemon - changing routes would, but not just that. It's still a trick to ultilise though.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

Other Fics
    Unfortunately Blue | Notice: Keep Out | Turnabout Assumptions
    Song Parodies | Snapshots | Fairy Tale (new!)

Check out this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut? Check the forums too!
    Current article: From RSE to ORAS - Top Ten Wanted Improvements!
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

The best trick.

1. Prepare your Masterball
    2. Get a level 49-50 poke.
    3. Buy alot of max Repels as they last longer
    4. Go to ANY route where the pokemon are below Lv 50. Otherwise you'll have to reley on the ol' "Stumble upon the randomly" trick
    5. Spray the Max Repel and Walk/Run/Bike.
    6. If unsuccessful, change the route you are in, to reset where the beasts are.
    7. Repeat 5 and 6 until you find your Entei/Raikou/Suicune.
    Last edited by bobandbill; 16th October 2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Adding to method as otherwise it is incorrect...

Quote Originally Posted by ~Spacial_Rendation~
    Go to ANY route where the pokemon are below Lv 40. Otherwise you'll have to reley on the ol' "Stumble upon the randomly" trick
    Remember that the legendary beasts are Lv50 in FrLg.

Remember that the legendary beasts are Lv50 in FrLg.
    My mistake. Time to edit.

Never tried the repels thing, but from what I knew from G/S/C the pokemon will move at least 1 route or town away from your location. And will usually move within a flight from one city to another. Sp go from Pallett town to say Violet City, by the time you get to the new town, and into a supposed are it is in, the pokemon will have moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Spacial_Rendation~ View Post
    The best trick.

1. Prepare your Masterball
    2. Get a level 49-50 poke.
    3. Buy alot of max Repels as they last longer
    4. Go to ANY route where the pokemon are below Lv 50. Otherwise you'll have to reley on the ol' "Stumble upon the randomly" trick
    5. Spray the Max Repel and Walk/Run/Bike.
    6. Repeat 5 until you find your Entei/Raikou/Suicune
    I used 50 max repels with this method at the route to the right of digletts cave and still no Suicune...

Credit for the banner goes to Aurealis
    Married to the wonderful Blue Snover § Paired with the excellent Wormow

Credit for the Snow Orchid Ribbon goes to Ayra, a gift requested by my ever-thoughtful Snowy

Would saving in a grass patch, fighting say, 6 random battles, and then SRing the game change the routes of the roamers?

Credit for the banner goes to Aurealis
    Married to the wonderful Blue Snover § Paired with the excellent Wormow

Credit for the Snow Orchid Ribbon goes to Ayra, a gift requested by my ever-thoughtful Snowy

Problem with the trick which you quoted is that it simply doesn't work. :/

You'll have to change which route you are in after a while of not encountering any Pokemon, to reset and change where the roaming beasts are - staying in the same route keeps them wherever they are. Otherwise that trick works fine, but you HAVE to change routes every so often.

And yes, SR would also reset their location...

Other Fics

Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

With the roaming dogs, Do they roam the Sevii islands or only Kanto? Because if it does roam the islands does it just randomly go there or does it roam the islands while you are on the islands?
    Behold Shiny Ev'd Azelf's Army
    NINJA PENGUIN
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE SUPER ELITES

I claimed feebas because one day, after a few berries, i'll be beautiful too.

Quote Originally Posted by NINJA PENGUIN2 View Post
    With the roaming dogs, Do they roam the Sevii islands or only Kanto? Because if it does roam the islands does it just randomly go there or does it roam the islands while you are on the islands?

They only roam the Kanto main land.

Suicune also can be found in water routes.
    Last edited by Shadow Eeveelution; 29th October 2008 at 9:17 PM.
    Eevo Light
    Vapor Acid /\ Flare Burst /\ Jolt Shock
    ESP Power /\ Umbra Ray /\ Leaf Hurricane /\Glace Beam
    Sylva Dust

Ok I have a question about the roaming mechanics as well, because I've been trying to encounter the legendary dog (Suicune) for about 5 hours and about 100 max repels.

Here are the method's I've been doing:
    1). I have a lvl 48 Golbat with Mean Look as my Front Pokemon.
    2). I've been keeping Max Repel applied whenever the repel wears off.
    3). (Yes I have the national pokedex, beat the elite 4 (only once)...also got the sapphire/ruby plates, although negligible I think)

The locations I've been running around in are:

-Route 2 (North of Viridian)...after about 50 steps I enter the building and then exit the building and take 50 more steps then enter/exit, etc...

-Route 11 (East of Vermillion)...after about 50 steps in grass I enter/exit diglett cave and then head back for 50 more steps then another enter/exit in diglett's cave, etc...

-Route 7 (East of Celadon)...after about 50 steps I enter the building and then exit and take another 50 steps in the grass, then enter/exit again, etc...

My Question is this:

Will the legendary beasts continue to roam/change routes by entering buildings/caves like I have been, am I doing something wrong...or just REALLY UNLUCKY?

Thanks (I searched all over for an answer and tried the FAQ)
    Last edited by PokemonTom; 1st November 2008 at 2:06 AM.

I'm pretty sure that it will - haven't tried it for the Johto beasts admittedly but had for the others in previous and more recent games, so pretty sure that it'll work in this game too and change the route each time you switch Pokemon. It's probably a spot of rather bad luck though, I think. Of course it COULD be different for buildings, although I rather doubt it - caves are different routes though so it'll work in that case, no doubt.

Alternatively, just change routes each 50 steps or something (go from one route into another route/town/etc, then back, search, rinse and repeat). North of Celedon is a nice spot - two adjacent routes with grass inthe two of them, by the north end of the bridge if memory recalls. And also beware that Suicune can use Roar on Golbat - and if it does, and works, then it'll be gone forever - one can't encounter it again.

Other Fics

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    I'm pretty sure that it will - haven't tried it for the Johto beasts admittedly but had for the others in previous and more recent games, so pretty sure that it'll work in this game too and change the route each time you switch Pokemon. It's probably a spot of rather bad luck though, I think. Of course it COULD be different for buildings, although I rather doubt it - caves are different routes though so it'll work in that case, no doubt.

Alternatively, just change routes each 50 steps or something (go from one route into another route/town/etc, then back, search, rinse and repeat). North of Celedon is a nice spot - two adjacent routes with grass inthe two of them, by the north end of the bridge if memory recalls. And also beware that Suicune can use Roar on Golbat - and if it does, and works, then it'll be gone forever - one can't encounter it again.
    Thanks for the response, however I'm not familiar with the area your trying to describe unfortunately! I don't think there is a route north of celadon, unless you meant Saffron...but I'm not sure. I'll try entering/exiting a city for awhile and hope my luck is better.

This is turning into such a pain that at the first sight of the beast I'm tossing my masterball (was trying to save it so I could transfer it into Diamond, but oh well).

hmmm I was thinking about your description and maybe you meant north of Cerulean (Misty's Gym city), past nugget bridge...I remember 2 patches of grass and hope they are seperate routes, going to try that out for a bit
    Last edited by PokemonTom; 1st November 2008 at 2:57 AM.

^
    Don't try the route that has both water AND grass in it, as it is possible for them to be on the water instead of the grass (yes, even Entei & Raikou can be on the water). Route 7 is the best IMO, it only has one patch of grass you have to check, and no water.

And bobandbill, Suicune can't Roar

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

Ya, they're pretty easy to find.Just be between 2 routes with each having a patch of grass in it.Everytime you switch a route, they switch also.Keep walking back and forth, switching between the 2 routes.While your doing that, check your pokedex to see if they're in your route.(In FR/LF, everytime u enter the pokedex it starts from bulbasaur, so just hold down the right arrow button for it to go faster to the bottom of the pokedex to find Suicune/Rakiou/Entei)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Jr. View Post
    Ya, they're pretty easy to find.Just be between 2 routes with each having a patch of grass in it.Everytime you switch a route, they switch also.Keep walking back and forth, switching between the 2 routes.While your doing that, check your pokedex to see if they're in your route.(In FR/LF, everytime u enter the pokedex it starts from bulbasaur, so just hold down the right arrow button for it to go faster to the bottom of the pokedex to find Suicune/Rakiou/Entei)
    Except how would Suicune/Rakiou/Entei be in the pokedex if you haven't encountered them yet...

I finally got my Suicune at route 7, took me about 12 hours of searching. It is NOT easy to find these guys, going into a building however does reset their location...
    I was going from Route 7 grass patch into the building right next to it, etc...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast