Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon season 1

Default Pokemon season 1

Anyone remember season 1? With all the hype for the new Best Wishes series and the years it has been does anyone remember the first 81 episodes of pokemon? I'm sure everyone who was a kid when it came out is into college or a parent now I was just wondering if you guys remember it and still watch it even now looking back the battles sucked compared to now. I as one loved it but love all the installments. Only thing I hated was the releases.

I recently finished watching the Kanto saga on DVD. I'm watching Orange Islands now, and I'm moving onto Johto soon.

Best children's TV show ever... Well, at least the Original Series was.

The original series is still by far my favorite series. The theme for the first season was amazing, one of the best for a kids show.

While most of the people who watched the original show when it was running for the first time are probably in university now, keep in mind that a lot of TV networks played reruns of seasons/episodes even only a year or so after the season finished, so there are quite a few people who have watched the original series on TV as kids who are still in High School.
    Feel free to PM me if you have tech problems or questions.
    Credit for the signature goes to me.

Okay, what does everyone see in the original series? It's a good cartoon, but it's a terrible, horrible, pokemon based cartoon. I mean, everything is in-accurate, and the writing is just horrible! You shouldn't just like things based on nostalgia. Nostalgia has nothing to do with quality.

/rant.

Sorry I've just been meaning to get that off my chest for awhile and I'm in a bad mood now

i have season 1 season 4 season 5 and season 11 of pokemon and pusa has put them in so stupid eg season 5 doesnt have the johto league WTFF

anyways season 1 was good but it's hyped to much other then the songs and the some kool paint edits it was a dodgey season animation was horrible voices were ok gyms were pathetic

my fav is season 4 completely perfect for me but when season 13 - 12 comes out on dvd it will easily outshine the original

and on the best wishes if tcpi puts alot of effort in it. it will show how pathetic season 1 was really
    Latest AmourShipping AMV
    Proud Advance/AmourShipper ~ I would Also like to thank Larvitarr from tumblr who created this sig

Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more? ~ Before Sunrise ~
    Grooveshark | Tumblr | BulbaGarden | MyAnimeList | PSNProfiles | Youtube | Last.FM

I loved the Kanto series, I loved the league the best in that series cuz it was his first one and you saw how much better he got with his battles. But I also love Best Wishes so far.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

Quote Originally Posted by Electivire Addict View Post
    Okay, what does everyone see in the original series? It's a good cartoon, but it's a terrible, horrible, pokemon based cartoon. I mean, everything is in-accurate, and the writing is just horrible! You shouldn't just like things based on nostalgia. Nostalgia has nothing to do with quality.

/rant.

Sorry I've just been meaning to get that off my chest for awhile and I'm in a bad mood now
    Your rant makes no sense, how can the first season be inaccurate when it set the rules for the seasons to come? There was no seasons prior to season 1, so how could it possibly be incorrect about anything?

You're saying the first season was bad because it was based off of pokemon? The next seasons were definitely good, no pokemon in those.

The writing has always been horrible. The anime has never once been known for a witty plot, deep characters, etc. The plot has been virtually identical in every single episode (other than gym/nemesis showdown episodes) for the last 13 years.

The reason many people like Season 1 is because we have fond memories of watching it, the plot was slightly more original then (not because of writers, but because only a few years had passed it didn't feel quite as old yet. The theme for season 1 is undeniably the best season theme of all the seasons, maybe of all the well known anime shows dubbed to English.

Another issue people have with the newer seasons is that its hard for the fans who were obsessed with pokemon as kids, but left the scene for a few years then came back later, since they missed the transition from the original pokemon gens to the new generations. I personally always find I like the 1st/2nd gen pokemon more, though the new pokemon still look good.

The one thing that I find is a lot better in the new seasons are the battles. In season one, battles tended to be pretty predictable, short (or mind numbingly long, like 3 episodes), not a lot of innovation was used, plus Ash just seemed to always win, no matter how dumb his strategy was (not saying he never lost, but in a majority of the battles his pokemon would make random comebacks with 5 times the power from before, or he'd do some ridiculous strategy based on some sort of imaginary "Ash Physics") . The newer seasons battles tend to be more interesting.
    Feel free to PM me if you have tech problems or questions.
    Credit for the signature goes to me.

[size=3][font=times new roman]
    Quote Originally Posted by GetOutOfBox
    Your rant makes no sense, how can the first season be inaccurate when it set the rules for the seasons to come? There was no seasons prior to season 1, so how could it possibly be incorrect about anything?

You're saying the first season was bad because it was based off of pokemon? The next seasons were definitely good, no pokemon in those
    No I mean it wasn't based off the game well. And Ash would take like two episodes to get each badge, and got 5 of them without even battling! The pokemon league sucked, and Gary didn't do much either.

What I mean is that it was the best in terms of a cartoon - it's entertaining. However, what fails is that it's horrible in terms of being based off Pokemon. That's why I find the later generations of the anime better because it is better at being based off of the Pokemon games.

[size=3][font=times new roman]No I mean it wasn't based off the game well.
    To be fair, the first gen games were fairly light on plot. Same with Gen II. And Gen III/IV. Even when the anime does take up the game plots, they just do them in small chunks. You can't really stretch a JRPG like Pokemon into a season long plot.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

I didn't much mind that the first saga of the Pokemon anime sort of did it's own thing. I like that it didn't adhere to the anime completely as well. That would have been boring since there are only about 10 cities/towns in Kanto in the games. If the anime had been based on the games 100% of the time, Ash and friends would have been stuck in mountains and forests most of the time. That's just boring. The Pokemon manga seems to stick closer to the games, so maybe it would be the best option for those looking for accurate game scenarios.

No I mean it wasn't based off the game well. And Ash would take like two episodes to get each badge, and got 5 of them without even battling! The pokemon league sucked, and Gary didn't do much either.

What I mean is that it was the best in terms of a cartoon - it's entertaining. However, what fails is that it's horrible in terms of being based off Pokemon. That's why I find the later generations of the anime better because it is better at being based off of the Pokemon games.
    I believe you just confirmed yourself to be 12 years old. And what is this?

NO, Ash did not get 5 badges without battling.
    He insisted that he battle the Cerulean City gym leader to earn his badge, though Daisy would have just given it to him.

It was based off the games--though Red/Ash and Green/Gary are two different individuals.
    Of course it wasn't EXACTLY like the games, word for word--but do you not remember the SS Anne episodes? The Pokemon tower?
    Yes, maybe it would take Ash a few episodes to get a badge--that's called a storyline.

You're obviously ranting because you dislike the fact that some of us have been around long enough to remember the old times of Pokemon.

♥♥Palletshipper ♥♥

~Back in my day, there were only 150 Pokemon. . .~

I do. I dont think there are people who dont remember.

I want to rewatch some old episodes, especially the interesting ones. Though, there are not many, due to the inability of the writers to provide more creative plots, mainly focusing on one person.

if it wasn't for nostalgic season 1 would be the worst season of pokemon to date the battling and animation and the voices were completely pathetic

but the best new journey episode would be diamond and pearl / johto tied they were both great but im guessing best wishes will be better then all once it starts
    Latest AmourShipping AMV
    Proud Advance/AmourShipper ~ I would Also like to thank Larvitarr from tumblr who created this sig

Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more? ~ Before Sunrise ~
    Grooveshark | Tumblr | BulbaGarden | MyAnimeList | PSNProfiles | Youtube | Last.FM

Quote Originally Posted by Yamimori View Post
    I believe you just confirmed yourself to be 12 years old. And what is this?

NO, Ash did not get 5 badges without battling.
    He insisted that he battle the Cerulean City gym leader to earn his badge, though Daisy would have just given it to him.

It was based off the games--though Red/Ash and Green/Gary are two different individuals.
    Of course it wasn't EXACTLY like the games, word for word--but do you not remember the SS Anne episodes? The Pokemon tower?
    Yes, maybe it would take Ash a few episodes to get a badge--that's called a storyline.

You're obviously ranting because you dislike the fact that some of us have been around long enough to remember the old times of Pokemon.
    Quote Originally Posted by (P.O.K.E.M.O.N.) View Post
    if it wasn't for nostalgic season 1 would be the worst season of pokemon to date the battling and animation and the voices were completely pathetic
    Apologies for my...immature statements, I'm just not really the best at expressing a point. But the second quote just proved what I'm saying. I don't mean taking every single detail, but I just think the battling was awful in the original series. Plus, I found Ash was annoying as he used no strategy at all which is why I believe to be it the worst.

I feel like the original series was better at like entertaining, but the newer one I feel like it's knows what it's doing more

It's been a loooooooog while since I last saw an episode from the first season, but, yeah, I generally remember it.

The only episode I do remember vividly is the first episode. Man, Pikachu did not like Ash at the beginning, did he?

I saw the first volume of it on DVD once, but wasn't bothered enough to by it. Maybe next time I have the money to do so, I'll buy it (if I remember to).
    Alpha Sapphire planned team (so far)

Claimed by me!

Mega Wishlist:

Apologies for my...immature statements, I'm just not really the best at expressing a point. But the second quote just proved what I'm saying. I don't mean taking every single detail, but I just think the battling was awful in the original series. Plus, I found Ash was annoying as he used no strategy at all which is why I believe to be it the worst.

I feel like the original series was better at like entertaining, but the newer one I feel like it's knows what it's doing more
    I understand you completely; Ash indeed had no clue what he was doing in season 1, and if you watch the series for epic battles it disappoints. It also makes the Mewtwo movie that much more epic, but that's me.

It's a question of priorities, really.

With Season 1, Pokemon knew what is was, a product-placement cartoon for children that had the luxury getting to explain how amazing all those cute little monsters were, often more through original stories than the actual pokedex data. It was more concerned with having a nice episode of the day than battles, unless they could work the Gym and Leader themselves into one, which they did. And outside of a couple recycled plots, it was extremely creative and fun to watch for it.

Post Orange Islands, Pokemon hit a bit of an identity crisis. It stuck religiously to its formula, because it can't do anything else as product placement, so instead it emphasized battles and new story elements. Only in exchange, every new idea becomes a trope (Girl change? Jessie in Contests? Rivals?) thus devaluing it, and the filler becomes painfully recycled. What we get is a product placement anime that tries to become a normal shonen anime, only to fail and give a few good episodes at the cost of 89% recycled-upon-recycled filler, which as a Pokemon product it has to have.

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.

well i love the first season of pokemon and im sure that people that saw it when it was on tv all loved it as well because it was among the best shows on at the time along with dragon ball z, sailor moon etc.

but i do see your points as well. the battles werent as good and of course the quality wasnt as good. can you really expect it to be like it is now? quality wasnt as good as it is now ten years ago. so there is no use complaining about it.
    shows grow over time and they learn and figure out ways to make the show better. they have done that.

so yes, the first season of pokemon is really good. if it wasnt then it wouldnt be on tv now would it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsirus
    only to fail and give a few good episodes at the cost of 89% recycled-upon-recycled filler, which as a Pokemon product it has to have.
    Fail? While I agree that the filler wasn't that good, I thought the Sinnoh Saga was a brilliant saga. It had contests taken to a whole new level involving many episodes dedicated to strategy and Jessie getting into the grand festival, many great arcs (tag battle arc, wallace cup, summer school...), did actually a decent job on the evil team, and the amazing development of Chimchar. However, that story did get a bit stale near the end that brings me to my next point.

While Sinnoh was a great saga, I think it got really bad near the end. What happened with Hoenn is that the writers wrote it really well, but they finished it too soon. So with Sinnoh, they decided to make the whole series in the region. But, the thing is they were still writing at Hoenn place, and by the time Snowpoint came around, they realized that if they kept the same pace, they would finish too early. That's the only place where Sinnoh fails, where they focused so much time on wasting time, and didn't focus on the development of plots, or Ash's team building.     Spoiler:- those who don't keep up with the Japan airing:

What I'm saying is that the series did not "fail" after Kanto. The fillers may be bad, but the show isn't about the filler, it's about promoting the games. So that's why I believe the later series is better because it gives it a more 'based off games' feel and not a cartoony feel. And that's what I believe Pokemon should be. Kanto relied too much on comedy, and one-focused episode, while Sinnoh has a more 'pokemon series' feel. However, it is far from perfect, but it does a better job handling its purpose than Kanto, IMO.

Fail? While I agree that the filler wasn't that good, I thought the Sinnoh Saga was a brilliant saga. It had contests taken to a whole new level involving many episodes dedicated to strategy and Jessie getting into the grand festival, many great arcs (tag battle arc, wallace cup, summer school...), did actually a decent job on the evil team, and the amazing development of Chimchar. However, that story did get a bit stale near the end that brings me to my next point.
    I forgot to praise Sinnoh, I liked a lot of its tricks. J, bringing May and Brandon back, Paul, like all of that. The Galatics as well, they did some things I would have reserved for Pokemon Special- and as a fanboy of his more ridiculous work, I must admit that if they weren't going to make Cyrus a zombie in English, Sean Schemmeul was the man to get.

So, the writers learn from their mistakes. Kanto was far from perfect (as I said above), Johto was garbage, Hoenn was great but ended too early, and Sinnoh I just explained. So that's why I believe Best Wishes might be the best saga. It keeps the amazing development writing from Sinnoh, but fixes the pace better[/spoiler]
    I am interested to see where Best Wishes is going to go.

What I'm saying is that the series did not "fail" after Kanto. The fillers may be bad, but the show isn't about the filler, it's about promoting the games. So that's why I believe the later series is better because it gives it a more 'based off games' feel and not a cartoony feel. And that's what I believe Pokemon should be. Kanto relied too much on comedy, and one-focused episode, while Sinnoh has a more 'pokemon series' feel. However, it is far from perfect, but it does a better job handling its purpose than Kanto, IMO.
    I don't know what you mean by "Cartoony feel", because Pokemon can do pretty much anything most people want it to do and it won't lose that.

Nor do I understand what you mean by matching the games. All seasons are ultimately bound by the games' plots in the form of Gyms and Evil Teams. All seasons are bound to their role as product placement by being mostly filler dedicated to showing off Pokemon- you aren't supposed to go between cities in one episode, but some of this can be avoided.

Yet if I were to compare Kanto and Sinnoh, I want to watch more of Kanto- Sinnoh may have more drama, but doesn't it lose something if I merely skip to the good parts? It's my own fault, of course.

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.

/rant.

It taught good morals, had good voice actors, was actually entertaining, and was hilarious (even at the age of 15, I am still laughing as I re-watch it).

This may be the biggest flame statement ever, but anyone who likes Diamond and Pearl over the Original Series has no clue what they are talking about.

1. Gym Battles were predictable. Ash almost always got the stuffing beat out of him.

2. Ash had no clue to what he was doing. For a kid wanting to be a pokemon master, he sure didn't study on the basics of becoming one..

3. It had the most episodes banned, or edited to air at a later date..

Now, that is not all that the first season had, but you get the picture..

Now I just think that the creators simply didn't know how much of a phenomenon Pokemon would become. that's why the plot and such of the first season was fairly basic.

Lost my Platinum, so that's not good. On the other hand, I have heartgold and my FC is:

Jimmy

5070 6163 8015

Quote Originally Posted by munchlaxboy
    This may be the biggest flame statement ever, but anyone who likes Diamond and Pearl over the Original Series has no clue what they are talking about.
    I never said that. In fact, I don't like the pokemon anime that much. I haven't watched it since mid-sinnoh. I personally found Hoenn to be the most entertaining saga, but that's probably because I was younger at the time.

What I'm saying is that quality wise, Sinnoh is much better than the Original Series. The OS might be more entertaining to watch, but it does not make it better

I never said that. In fact, I don't like the pokemon anime that much. I haven't watched it since mid-sinnoh. I personally found Hoenn to be the most entertaining saga, but that's probably because I was younger at the time.

What I'm saying is that quality wise, Sinnoh is much better than the Original Series. The OS might be more entertaining to watch, but it does not make it better
    Despite anime writers saying "Kanto was supposed to be the only season", they had Johto era Pokemon showing up in the first episode, and a Johto era Pokemon even became a part of the regular roster of Pokemon by the mid 50s. So while Kanto has it's charm, you can't watch it from beginning to end and get a "full" story. You're constantly being teased about a new region with all of these next gen Pokemon that show up in the anime and movies before that series of games is even announced!

Compare that to Sinnoh, where (I won't spoil anything) the teases for Isshu are much smaller. You can pretty much watch Sinnoh from beginning to end and feel as if the "story" is complete.

Back to the OS: IT probably has some of the best filler episodes of the entire Pokemon animated series. And it's interesting to see the characters develop and evolve into what we know them as now. TR was originally quite threatening, for example, instead of comedic relief.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

The first series of Pokemon was more episodic in the way that you could pick up with any episode and feel as if you hadn't missed anything. I remember watching Pokemon Emergency as my first ever episode and I could still get the general gist of how the series had begun in Pokemon! I Choose You! (In fact I also initially missed the run of episodes from the Cerulean Gym to Charmander's capture without feeling left out). There were still a few arcs within the Indigo Series (the whole SS Anne - Porta Vista arc, and the League itself) which, I must mention, were consistently of a high standard. However, I think the success of the show and the fact that the franchise was such a phenomenon back then owes a lot to the nature of the first series being more like a cartoon that you could tune in to at any point.

I've been rewatching the Indigo saga recently and I think the fact that I still enjoy it almost as much as the first time I watched through it as an 8 year old just shows the pulling power that it still has. Nostalgia or not, there is still something special about that first saga that causes me to openly laugh, cry, squirm and cheer in ways that other sagas have failed at. Ash was immature back then and his many mistakes were always comedy gold, including the impending rollicking he'd receive from Misty and peace-keeping intervention from Brock.

I do admit that the show has improved to no end as far as writing quality battles and maintaining character development over a full saga are concerned. The number of pity badges and OHKO fests served up over Kanto do embarrass me now that i've seen the improved standards in later sagas, but I think that I probably enjoy the Indigo saga more for its unique COTD's and heartfelt storylines. Watching the Pi-Kahuna just recently I couldn't help but feel a little warm inside as I witnessed Victor plant his flag atop the rock by riding the Humunga Dunga for the nth time.

More recently it was revealed that the late Takeshi Shudo was a pivotal figure in the creation of the original series until he left some time during Johto. Although unaware to a large extent as a child that the writing of the show may have changed hands at that point, I know that a lot of my friends grew bored of Pokemon during Johto and I too began to find the entertainment on offer very tedious. Luckily I still watched the show because I found enjoyment from it up until late Hoenn but there's no hiding from the fact that the show was beginning to lack in the slapstick humour and emotional charm that existed until early Johto.

I still admire the show for the way that it has improved in many areas but I feel that the Indigo saga used a formula that has put a lasting impression on the target audience from its time.

The original series will always be the best to me. (Kanto to Johto).
    After that i still thought Advanced Generation (Hoenn) was decent, still lived up to the original series.
    Once the Battle frontier it set a new record of worst series for me, everything went downhill from there continuing onto Diamond and Pearl.
    However Best wishes is starting to pick up again leveling out around hoenn terms for me so im good :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast