Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Max's Hoenn Journey

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Snover View Post
    You did a great job on the contest appeals and battles.
    Thank you! I tried really hard to perfect them as much as possible and I think I did better than my expectations!

I wasn't too sure about a Burmy for an appeal Pokemon, but you managed to make it look good.
    Hmm I'm glad you felt like that actually! I was really hoping that Burmy could be put across as a rather clumsy Pokemon or a Pokemon that is unlikely to be able to perform in a Contest and then work upon that!

I loved Budew's combinations, i couldn't have come up with a better one myself
    Same! : ) I have really been trying to improve Budew's character and in the process it is unfortunately puting a backseat on Charmander and Murkrow but only for the meentime as they have some plots coming up!

I look forward to seeing how Harriet and Roxanne's battle plays out, i don't think we've seen the best of Anorith or Chikorita yet.

Keep up the good work.
    Anorith is one of my fav Pokemon for Roxanne! Mostly because it's rather unexpected I believe and there battle is quite explosive and down to the straw!

Most Recent Chapter - Chapter 31: Don't Forget Me - Posted 26/01/13
    Credits to Sweet May and DanChimchar

I will pursue You, I will pursue Your presence

I'm afraid to have to say that my laptop has decided to stop working and this occured yesterday right when I was planning to upload the document on fanfic as well. So Chapter 19 is lost in the hardrive of my laptop at the moment and we're sending it in for repare tomorrow however if it is a hardrive problem then I'm so truly sorry!

I'll have more information for you tomorrow!

A contest full of Grass types, i love it

You've done a great job of emphasising how each attack would look and how they would be best used in a contest battle.

It was nice to see Roxanne taking part, and you showed that however hard a gym leader battles they always put their Pokemon before a win.

Keep up the good work and i look forward to Chapter 20

Credit to Mr. Joker for the Glee banner
    Credit to Skiyomi for the lovely Blue Snover banner

If anyone is interested in a custom ribbon for your profile pic, be sure to check out Ayra's sprite thread in the fanart section, if you want to take a look at her work have a look at my profile.

I really liked these contest battles. Great job on this chapter.

A contest full of Grass types, i love it

You've done a great job of emphasising how each attack would look and how they would be best used in a contest battle.
    Yes... lol! I realised towards the end that these contest battles were basically filled with Grass Types but I hope that didnt make the contest to booring! I'm glad that I was able to portray them acceptably! That was my one major goal to do!

It was nice to see Roxanne taking part, and you showed that however hard a gym leader battles they always put their Pokemon before a win.
    Thank You : ) I can remember in the anime that she was portrayed as a compassionate and kind person and I really wanted to develop upon this in battles themselves because I haven't really shown much about her prowess!

Keep up the good work and i look forward to Chapter 20
    I hope Chapter 20 will be able to be up when scheduled but this is all down to when I receive my laptop back, hopefully it will be next Thursday and hopefully it wont be damaged beyond repair!

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one386 View Post
    I really liked these contest battles. Great job on this chapter.
    Thanks Chosen! When I was writing these I felt as if I was becomming repetivie with the battles but it seems as if each one was unique and I hope that I can keep this up in future Contests...

Okay, you asked, so here comes a re-review, based on your most recent episode:

Description: Roxanne never really struck me as the coordinator type, but after reading this, I reconsidered. Every aspect of the battles were nicely done, almost to the point where I felt like I was there watching it all.

Characters: Again, well done on showing new aspects of every character--just seeing their emotions play out on the battlefield made me want to cheer them on.

Plot: Exciting, pure and simple--especially during Harriet's match with Roxanne at the beginning.

You've come a long way since I reviewed Episode 1--it's not quite Raichu caliber yet, but keep working on adding details and characterization.

Rating:

Almost there--can Episode 20 finally earn you a Raichu?

Firstly thank you very much for coming to review as this is an absoloute delight to have someone in your high regard review. I am absoloutely pleased as well to see that you have seen the improvement because I didn't see that great leap of improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingRuby View Post
    Okay, you asked, so here comes a re-review, based on your most recent episode:

Description: Roxanne never really struck me as the coordinator type, but after reading this, I reconsidered. Every aspect of the battles were nicely done, almost to the point where I felt like I was there watching it all.
    I'm extremely glad I was able to pass through this image because through the earlier chapters she unfortunately suffered neglect and I felt this a very good way to show how compassionate she is and also how she can also be really tallented in her shows as well as battles. And so a contest was the best way to show this aptitude.

I'm hoping to actually build upon this later development later on - hopefully!

Characters: Again, well done on showing new aspects of every character--just seeing their emotions play out on the battlefield made me want to cheer them on.
    Emotions are something I love to play and toy about with especially because this leads to further development. I thought especially how Max would feel being faced with loss because we saw when he faced against Norman how difficult it was to deal with it! And to be honest that is probably what occurs in the trainers minds when faced with such desperate situations!

Plot: Exciting, pure and simple--especially during Harriet's match with Roxanne at the beginning.

You've come a long way since I reviewed Episode 1--it's not quite Raichu caliber yet, but keep working on adding details and characterization.

Rating:

Almost there--can Episode 20 finally earn you a Raichu?
    I can only say thank you for that! This is absolouetly brilliant to see how much I have progressed and I think that when I release Chapter 20 and future chapters maybe I can receive that Raichu eh? lol!

I'm hoping for the plot to deepen and darken! Once again! Thank You : )

Default Updated Chapter because last post won't allow me to edit it!

A/N Sorry for the previous posters but the last chapter wouldn't let me edit it and so I've corrected a few spelling mistakes and here it is! But don't worry I'll see if I can move this post up!

Well disregard the comment I made yesterday because I forgot that I had uploaded this onto fanfiction.net and so have been able to recover it. However Chapter 20 may still be late as the earliest I'm getting my latop back is next Thursday and unfortuantely that's the only place that has Chapter 20 on it at the moment!

This Chapter is the end of the Rustboro Contest and I hope that it's not too dull and with this I think my future Contest writing may be better!

Chapter 19: A First Time for Everything (Part 2)

Life simmered back into her pink pupils as the realization of the situation was dragging its importance into her prominent thoughts. The daunting task she faced was nearing!

"Chikorita, Vine Whip now!"

With a flash of confidence, two long vines extended quickly into the air, heading directly for contact with the oncoming fossil Pokémon, who, seemed relatively taken aback by the rapid choice of action. Anorith was struck off guard and unfortunately was unable to reclaim its direction, losing its balance and unfortunately the controllability of X-Scissor while Chikorita landed her super effective move.

"Well Harriet, haven't you got some hidden surprises. Anorith we'll stay back this time, so use your Rock Blast!"

Harriet giggled a little, "Well if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have been able to snap out of my fear that was controlling both me and Chikorita, but don't think I'm going to go easy on you, such as this next move, use Razor Leaf to slash the oncoming rocks!"

The sharp leaves sprouted from the tense leaf on top of Chikorita's pale head, with a continuous burst spraying towards the damaging material flying from Anorith. Both moves collided in mid air, with the strength from either side eradicating one another's attacks and damaging their points equally. On the other hand though, Harriet still led in points from the earlier succeeding attack.

"Change things up Chikorita and use your Leech Seed!"

Small buds sprouted from the green capsules attached to Chikorita's neck. They glowed aggressively with a red passion, pumping energy repeatedly through the small seeds.

"Anorith dodge it!" The rock type sprang into the air, narrowly avoiding the low flying buds as it soared higher into the stadium. Chikorita compensated and changed her targeting towards Anorith's new position, never once letting up.

"Okay Anorith, use the speed from your steep decline to land a powerful Crush Claw!"

It seemed rather entertaining to watch the intrepid Pokémon glide in and out of the illustrious Leech Seeds; that if met their mark would create even more problems for Roxanne. The remaining few seeds skimmed the delicate wings as Anorith's descent had nearly been accomplished. His jagged claws ebbed with a white shade as he swooped ever closer to Chikorita. The claws opened like a gaping mouth clenching the chest of the grass Pokémon. Chikorita wriggled with fright, unable to release itself from the tightening grip. It saw the walls enlarge tenfold and realized that Anorith still had enough force behind it to continue pushing forward, and inevitably strike Chikorita against the concrete walls. This would inflict more damage to both Chikorita and the points and a scarred wall would only be able to show a minute ferocity of the Crush Claw. In one last attempt of averting the inevitable, Chikorita thrashed about rocking her body from side to side. Although it didn't seem like much it managed to alter her course, now dragging Anorith into the impact. Mutually they would be colliding with the wall side on and Anorith had no time to even think about changing this.

The two thumped against the solid wall, collapsing in a heap against the edge of the stadium floor. Neither seemed to budge or show any signs of movement. Harriet and Roxanne could only watch with a drained strain.

"This battle has one minute left on the clock and neither Pokémon seems to be conscious. Unless someone manages to clamber onto their feet then this will have to be called...wait! It seems Chikorita has come back from the brink. Will Anorith follow?"

Roxanne pained in expression saw the battling capacity drain from Anorith, although a relatively young Pokémon it had come out on the battle field with a determined desire to win, and that was enough for her.

"I forfeit!" Roxanne declared, darting to the side of Anorith and placing it gently in her arms, "Anorith fought well but we weren't good enough to beat the ingenuity of Harriet and Chikorita and I can't let Anorith continue in this state!" She turned to face the audience as their applause roared through the air, and the atmospheric mood was filled with gratitude, "I thank you all for accepting my challenge of the Contests."

"Well people this is a first for Rustboro but only a true trainer can announce a forfeit before a stadium full of watchers like Roxanne. So that's a wrap! Harriet shall be ensuing into the next round while we have to congratulate Roxanne and Anorith in their valiant attempt. Anorith put up one of the best fights to date, and if it was marked on battle skills then you would most definitely have won, but that's not what Contests are about. We would all love to see you here in future Contests, but in the mean time will both competitors please step back stage while we move into our final battle of the First Stage Battling."

"Roxanne wait," Harriet called out racing down the corridor after her, "You treated me to an impressive battle, and like I said out there if it wasn't for you then I'd have lost within the first few seconds. Thank You."

"You don't have to thank me, firstly I couldn't let you lose so easily so I had to draw you back into the battle somehow and once you were there I couldn't let you win easily, and it seems like I didn't. Chikorita fought a tough challenge, and resisted well, so my recommendations would be that you get Chikorita looked at quickly by Nurse Joy while the last battle takes place so that it's fit and healthy for the start of the Semi Finals."

"Will do," she beamed, "Will you be heading out into the stadium?"

"Oh trust me, I wouldn't miss your battle for anything, and I think I might go join Mathew and have a catch up with him, and see if I can sway him back to Gym Battles again," Roxanne joked, "Well, I'll see you later, and make sure you don't lose."

A dimming light fell about the Contest waiting room as Harriet waited patiently for the interval events to pass. Her Chikorita had been scanned by Nurse Joy and was fit and healthy going into the next stages of the Contest, and she was sure that she could tough it out against the strongest of opponents.

She sat alone, curled up against the tender touch of the silky red couch as she was watching a number of Pokémon Performers dance around the stadium, accompanied by their loyal companions. Her complexion seemed fatigued; the day was taking its toll on her and after an hour already spent in the Contest hall she wondered how she would be able to tolerate another hour. But even so she was determined to grasp the Rustboro Ribbon and proceed on a lengthy yet fulfilled Contest career.

Max shuffled over towards Harriet, gently placing his hand upon her frilly clothed shoulder. She didn't react, just continued to sit there staring at the flashing screens of luminous light.

"Harriet, is everything all right?" Max questioned with a perplexed state smeared across his face. She seemed far away, no longer living in reality and her head appeared to be in the clouds dreaming about other inspirations or so Max believed.

"Err, yea I'm good," she smiled delectably back at Max, pulling her clothing back into form to act less inconspicuous, "Anyway, you ready for the next round?"

"Most definitely, and don't think I'm going to go easy on you, I want to be able to make the most of the new style of Water Sport against Curtis in the Finals, that'll give me a sure win."

"Don't get cocky," she gazed at Max with a disbelieving smile, "Chikorita isn't going to let you beat us, not after our close call with Roxanne that is! We pulled ourselves back from the brink in that battle, so no, we're not going to lose."

"Okay then, we'll just have to wait and see!"

"We're back on the stage at last after some extremely amusing and perfected performances. Let's see whether our first set of Semi Finalists can out match what we just witnessed here! Please welcome Max and Harriet!"

The crowds' cheers rose into the air again; their excitement rekindled and on an increased set of energetic levels. As both contestants waited in the wings, in clear view of one another, they felt a nervous overpowering panic as roaring screams were piercing through the padded curtains that kept them hidden from view until the crowd couldn't withstand the suspense any longer.

The curtains opened and the light thrust itself upon the two trainers, soaking their nervous complexions and bringing an exhilarating hype about them. They ran out onto the stage floor, both taking their postures and clutching a PokeBall. Harriet's was again plastered with a leaf seal while Max had opted for no seal this time, all that was left was the introduction statements by Vivian and then the Semi Finals would begin.

"It's the moment we've been waiting for as our final four outstanding contestants will battle it out for our Ribbon. Considering both these contestants before us have grass types, I think we'll be having a battle going down to the wire. So without further ado, begin!"

On the call both trainers flung their balls forward into the arena, watching as the beam of white energy burst from within the ball and flew through the air before materializing into the two creatures. As Chikorita formed a spiralling rosary of multicoloured leaves accompanied her and the audience commenced into roaring cries. It was another energetic atmosphere and this mood would also play a major role in the two competitor's performances on the battle field, as well as their Pokémon.

"Chikorita, let's start with the upper hand, use your Leech Seed!" Within an instant, small buds of pure sapping energy fired out of the few shoots sprouting from the pale neck of the Pokémon. Budew had no chance to evade; Max could see that. The clean speed that the attack had meant that this battle was about to begin with a clear disadvantage for Budew, not only because of the infectious Leech Seed that was about to cling to the Pokémon but also because of the increased speed Chikorita seemed to be displaying.

Within a blink of the eye Budew had been impacted by the round sprouts that slowly began to erupt small veins of foliage that rolled over the body, entangling their cords within each other. Although the small Pokémon squirmed under the force, trying urgently to free itself from the grip, nothing was working. The more energy Budew used up, the more energy was squeezed out into the vines.

Harriet looked up at the score board in sheer amazement, the time was spelling one minute into action and Max had already depleted half of his points whilst she still gained control of her full points with the use of only one move. Her attention averted back to the battle and she expected to meet a vigorous Max ready to respond, yet he hadn't retaliated. She shone her gaze into his eyes and met a reflecting sense of panic and fear; this was critically entering dangerous stages for her friend, but he was in a deadlock, unsure of what to do. There was no way out, nothing to do it seemed, Max couldn't muster the thoughts to counteract Harriet's move and this worried her. She remembered her last two battles with him and how he had really used unusual and rather magical tactics to come out on top, but this time he was frozen. She knew that if he commanded his Pokémon to perform any attack then that energy would just be doubled in the hand out and it would most likely end the battle at that instance. But there must've been something he surely could do besides waiting, there must be something...

With a sighing depression amongst her, Harriet lifted her gaze from Max and decided to secure the win for herself. It was unfair on Max dragging out what she perceived as an embarrassment and heartache, "Chikorita, this seems to be our clenching win. Keep it safe though with your Tackle attack!"

As if preparing to charge at some incessantly huge object, Chikorita rammed its feet against the ground with vast amounts of force. A few small fissures formed in the position she was standing in, indicating the will power of the Pokémon. Chikorita wasn't going to stop at anything to secure victory. Harriet's face blossomed into a chuffed smile and her thoughts donned rather pleasurable fantasies of her podium standing as she pushed her saddened thoughts out of her head. Things were looking very bright for the newcomer and her team.

Max could see the delighted faces of both the opposition and couldn't feel anything but anger and discouragement. He felt ridiculed and mocked, he had lost control of the match from the word go, and it was his Pokémon who was going to pay. He could only hope that taking on Harriet's idea from the last match was going to achieve the lifeline he needed in this battle; hope was his last weapon.

"Budew, I know this is hard but try and stand your ground until the last minute when I want you to turn around on your side!"

The sudden realisation collided with Harriet making sickening contact with the young lass. "No, Chikorita, stop!" Harriet screeched in despair, noticing the foolish command she had just ordered. Her Pokémon was now charging head on into a sticky trap that would not only weaken Chikorita severely but also affect her score to the point of limitations, "Well at least you're back Max..." she murmured with a brightening smile.

Budew store directly into the determined look of Chikorita as she continued to head for direct contact. Budew was waiting patiently to act upon its orders from Max and was undoubtedly ready to relinquish the pain seeping in from the Leech Seed. She was prepared for the undertaking, though found it a little tricky to make a judgment on the correct timing, but hoped that her previous travels through Sinnoh would accomplish the necessary task.

The small bud whipped its body in a flash from its previous position, and as planned attached one of the sticky seeds onto the neck of the passing Pokémon. Although the force still lingered and both Pokémon were lunged forward by the opposite tensions, Max had secured a grip on a loosening rock and pulled himself back into view of the finals.

"Budew, now use Synthesis!" Max yelled as a tug of war began between the two Pokémon, with Chikorita expressing her reactions through power. She was violently thrashing about with a terrified spasm as her attempts of detaching herself from the ever growing seed were failing.

"Chikorita, use Vine Whip continuously as a distraction!"

Budew began its pulsing of energy to restore and Chikorita engaged the use of her seemingly endless chunky vines to bash her opponent about, dampening the overall effectiveness of Synthesis. Neither trainer was aware, but the points were depleting severely for both sides as this spectacle unfolded yet Harriet was just in the lead due to her early use of Leech Seed.

The two Pokémon were still actively compensating for the others move and Budew was surprisingly attempting to dodge by dragging Chikorita along with its directional impulses. The audience burst into a coarse applause as they witnessed the Pokémon quickly dashing about from one side to the next and the trainers' outburst of panic through randomly compiled phrases. This was most definitely an interesting contest round.

"And the points are nearing relatively low levels and I expect a winner to be seen shortly. There is only a matter of..." Her trail of speech was interrupted as the timers began to bleep out their ending signals. Everyone now rested their sight upon the board, and from the audience's seats it was unclear as to who had succeeded in victory, but from Max's and Harriet's faces another story was to be told.

"Well there we have it, our first Finalist who fought profoundly well and did manage to pull out a splendid display of initiative and some innovative ideas will be Harriet. The points were really down to the wire but Harriet pulled out top with 14% while Max unfortunately walks away with 12%, a very close call and it was obvious why."

The two PokeBalls were raised into the air and as per norm the ray or crimson energy sprung towards the two struggling Pokémon and absorbed them back into comfort.

"Max, it was a pleasure to see you and Budew develop your skills here in Rustboro and we wish you the best of luck in whichever course you take, there is clearly so much potential for you young man and I'll be personally keeping a close eye upon your achievements," Mr Contesta proudly spoke as he walked onto the platform for wonders and amiably clasping Max's hand.

"Now if both contestants will head backstage as we prepare for our second Semi Final battle between Curtis and Nathan..."

"Turtwig, use a bit of discretion, I don't want you taking the full brunt of that Ice Shard," the energetic coordinator yelled amongst the fiery sounds of the fast moving ice attacks that had Turtwig narrowing itself into a corner, "Retaliate with your Leaf Storm and aim it at the oncoming Ice Shards!"

The cornered grass type clicked back into a confident mood and cried at the top of its lungs as the surface of its back started to show an emerald colour. The cue for the interrogating leaves had begun and like swarming bees they hovered around the Pokémon, acting partially as a barrier to the offense.

"Fire them now!"

It was such a beautiful sight of pure magic and energy as the two forces collided, both acting with differences upon the other. The large ice balls were sliced cleanly and neatly into wholesome smooth spheres while the bladed foliage was rendered harmless.

"Intriguing tactic Curtis but you haven't accounted for the speed of my Spheal, you better watch out!" the smug boy laughed as he flicked a lock of his black raven hair from the sight of his eyes.

"I'm afraid you haven't the time to do so Nathan as time is up! Time to find out our winner..." Vivian once again waved her hand towards the electronic board and as on queue the audience arose in a huge gasp.

"Wonderful, wonderful, and a bit more wonderful, that's all I can say. We've seen some amiable attempts today in the appeal rounds as we welcomed newcomers to the Contest realms and welcomed back some old faces from previous victories. Our battle rounds also witnessed remarkable entries and Roxanne and her Anorith deserve our prestigious Battler Award today, we must say that her battles are what entice people to her Gym and we were blessed with her entertaining techniques for us today," Vivian rapidly said with her blooming assurance, "But now we are to witness the Finals where either Harriet or Curtis will win this ribbon, so give it up for our two marvellous coordinators!"

Unimaginable yells of applause reached high levels in the open toped Contest Hall and Harriet had the same sense of rushing adrenalin that compelled her willingly forward. The finesse of the situation was exuberating and orgasmic and reached high levels of pleasure among her gushing veins of blood. This is what she was striving for; her decision back at her home in Jhoto was all for this one moment.

"Harriet, I was indeed correct in my predictions about you, look where we stand, moments away from the Finals..." She blushed at his handsome remarks, feeling only cheerful and a touch embarrassed by his words, "However, now we're here I'm not going to be handing you the ribbon on a platter, you're going to have to earn it." He drew his hand back in an extravagant fashion as his first ever Pokémon was prepared and waiting for its command to fly from its comfort. He whisked his body about in fathomable poses, "Turtwig, you're up!"

The bursting light fathomed the image of the shelled back turtle with the erecting stem leaf protruding from its smoothed head. It resembled an energetic mood and sought to cry out loudly as the raining petals settled neatly around it. Everyone stared down at the field, fixated by the clean motions of the grass type as it presented its speed initially by zooming about the field.

Harriet was bubbling from the starting enthusiasm by the crowd, and at a difference this time to the fleeting emotions. It was her time to shine and she wasn't about to let steaming hot sensations get the better of her.

"Ha ha, Chikorita display your talents!" she cried as her PokeBall soared through the air and towards the opposing side. It burst and leapt a shining bright light into the havoc of the air amidst a beauty of dancing leaves. The light gained control and structured a familiar picture, the beige body snapped from within the light first dispensing the aura around it and then followed the head.

"The two Pokémon have appeared and the judges are eager to see this finale. It's time to begin!"

"Chikorita, Tackle attack now!" cried the young female forging a distinctive power in her tone.

"Turtwig, do the same!"

There was the noticeable patter of feet scraping against the hardened dirt as the two Pokémon raged forward with their target directly in their sight. Neither trainer seemed ready or willing to call off their attack, so presumably were relying upon brute strength. The impact occurred head on, viciously and impressively. The recoil bounded its superiority by forcing and flexing the Pokémon backwards with a deafening thud.

"Ooh, now that seemed powerful and destructive," Vivian commented, "They certainly seem evenly matched and surprisingly neither one seems too shaken up after that... that bashing of skulls," she interjected, now moving out of the audience's focus so that they would again be enticed by the battle.

"Harriet, you don't give up do you! Just the thing I needed to know!" he chuckled beating his hand against the air, "Turtwig, now use your Leaf Storm!"

The raging beating of the jade colour once again flowed through the two piece shell that had a smooth and soft sheen to it. This time however, a brushing wind whisked under feat and Turtwig raised its head screaming a piercing howl at the loudest possible pitch. The leaves stuck out of the back and hovered vibrantly above the Pokémon before they became an animated green.

"Chikorita, counter attack with your Vine Whip and attempt to protect yourself against that storm!"

Turtwig flung the onslaught of blazing leaves towards Chikorita who only narrowly managed to extend the vines from its body and knock a few opposing attacks out of the way. This same process continued for another few seconds before Harriet noticed the dire situation occurring on the score board. Both sides were inflicting the same amount of damage upon each other and it seemed neck to neck in terms of points. Harriet had to do something fast to get the dominant position.

"Chikorita, switch things up and fire your Leech Seed!" she commanded, ducking underneath an oncoming glistening sharpened leaf.

The sapping seeds erupted from the seedling buds attached to the palely coloured neck of the creature, and they were working. They wheeled their way through the brisk space and tangled their grips around some of the assault charging forward, disabling them on the spot.

"Prepare yourself Turtwig, use Synthesis!"

The saps struck their mark, but unfortunately produced hardly any amount of damage. The moment they hit the force was quelled and they simply rebounded and gently lay upon the floor. The only injuries being inflicted were the impacts, and that itself wasn't useful or productive because the Synthesis just counter balanced it.

"Wow people, Turtwig really was able to gain an advantage there and this means Curtis and Turtwig go into the last two minutes with more points, but will Harriet be talented enough to turn things around again?"

She angrily sighed at Vivian's mark and was overwhelmed by an instant surge of determination, "Curtis, don't think you're getting away with a win. Watch this!" she yelled directly towards Curtis as her eagerness swept her up in its estranged web, "Chikorita, Tackle attack yet again!"

"Huh? Harriet, what are you doing?" Curtis responded, "Well that's your mistake, Turtwig continue your Leaf Storm!"

The vibrant coloured leaves began their travel towards Harriet's side once more but with an added obstacle that was closing upon them, Chikorita. She hammered the floor with her soft paws, and was ready to gear up for some difficult manoeuvring. She pounced, leaping above a couple of razor sharp leaves and easily avoiding their jagged edges, her next move left her swerving to doge a few more.

"Yea, you're doing brilliant Chikorita, keep it up!"

"I'm going to have to disagree with you there, you didn't factor in one important ingredient, Turtwig," he cockily spoke as his Pokémon glanced over towards him and nodded in acknowledgment, realising that his trainer was hinting at his next action.

It cocked its head backwards, tilting its eyes to stare at the majestic wonders of the shimmering sunlight. The waft rose up again but this time Turtwig held control over it and began to use it to shift his attack into a spiralling tornado of harsh serrated leaves. He threw the chain of the spiralling foliage with ferocious courage. Although Chikorita was so close to landing her attack the twister swallowed her in its wake and heaved her into the air, slicing her with passing leaves. She seemed fatigued and unable to resist the temptation of rest, and now the limpness consumed her. Her legs flailed and body twisted before crashing face on into the metallic wall. She slid slowly down onto the floor slumping on her back, with a smearing image silhouetted against the spot of impact.

Ding! Everyone filtered their attention to the judges table, where three red crosses bore its distinctive mark amongst the navy coloured table.

"This final has now concluded with Chikorita and Harriet ending in defeat but after some incredible show of effort. That means we have received our Rustboro contest winner, give it up for Curtis and his team!"

On his cue he reached into a tucked away pocket of his crimson bag and withdrew a closed up PokeBall, enlarging it almost the minute he cupped it in his palm.

"Slugma, you deserve praise as well!"

The young brunette sat scrunched in a pile against the corner of a couch with a few streaming salty droplets splashing against the intricately designed marble. She was surrounded by towering ferns placed in delicious decor that streamed a soft soaking blue around its base. The cherry coloured sofas also sat elegantly beside her but she had decided that comfort wasn't her luxury. Standing a few yards away, Roxanne and Max worryingly stood by, unsure of whether to approach Harriet or not.

"Hey guys," a familiar face remarked, immediately laying eyes upon the curled up complexion of his rival, "She still not talking?"

"No, I think it's best if we just leave her for a bit..."

"Are you sure Roxanne?" Max interrupted looking pained at the sorrow his friend was in, "Losing is terrible, I know that – too well I might add – but I found comfort from my Pokémon and May when I lost to Dad, so if we get her to bring out Chikorita and we go sit with her then maybe she can calm down sooner."

Curtis spliced in his thoughts, "Firstly don't forget Burmy... my, wasn't that a surprise," he know looked directly towards Roxanne, "And I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with Max on this one." He saw a troubled face enquire back at him, "I'm not saying you're wrong or anything like that, but friendship always helps."

"I'm going to have to hand it to the both of you, you certainly do place a supportive argument on the table, but I would recommend only one person going." A dismissive view formed upon the boys' faces, pretending to be distant from the world around them, momentarily of course so that they didn't have to take the burden of the difficult challenge at hand.

"Fine, I'll go then," Roxanne said with a cheerful attitude, "And rest assured, she'll come back here within no time feeling a new demeanour about her."

The two fellows chuckled as if to agree on an unspoken bet, little did they know...

"Well, doesn't an Ice Cream just make you feel better?" Roxanne joked, wrapping her arm tightly around the reformed young lass that sat bravely next to her.

"It sure does!" she responded with a new cheery fashion.

She froze her eating motion and pondered over something for a couple of seconds, before opening her mouth again to reveal her thoughts, "I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to act like such a child, but I... I was just a tad distraught!"

"A tad," Max laughed, "Most certainly, but it's good to have your old self back. I must admit though that today has pushed some tricky emotions upon us all, like with me in my match against Harriet, I felt helpless and angered by being powerless to do anything... Contests sure are a learning ground."

"Agreed," was the united response.

The group of four carried on their laughs and games in a retracted sense of emergency, as the days antics had drawn to an end leaving them all better off in some degree of clarity. For Curtis he was blessed with the addition of his second Ribbon that gave him a clear run towards the Grand Festival, and on top of that a renewed feeling of skill and control. His wondrous moves had been a flicker of his mastery and all he could do was improve. Max and Harriet both walked away with a difference in their battling techniques and competent ways of overcoming dire problems, whereas Roxanne had been given the chance to develop one of the new additions to her team. Things for the moment seemed bliss, but like always, something was bound to crash around them...

A/N - Just a quick notice to say that I've updated Harriet's character bio and I'm posting it in a new post because the last one still won't update. If you want to check out the new link then click here - Harriet's Team

Hello!

I want to start off by saying that this is a great idea. I know everyone who watched the Hoenn anime episodes wanted to see Max as a trainer. Great idea! The beginning of the first chapter seemed generic: kid wakes up and gets ready for his first Pokemon. I really like how you fit the characters from the anime to this story, however. I also like the details of Max's morning, like him waking up to Grand Festival news (I sense foreshadowing!) It's interesting how Max had six choices instead of three. I wish they did that in the video games! The only thing I would have liked to see was more of an indication that Charmander and Max would bond before Max picked it. It seems like Max really wanted and got along with Mudkip, but then Charmander kind of jumps in the way and Max was like, "Oh, I'll take you."

The second chapter was good, as well. I like how you give Max some sort of problem at the beginning of his journey rather than everything being smooth sailing. My favorite part was when Rhyperior was caught (again, another thing I always wish for in the games. Catching a wild Rhyperior instead of having to evolve it!) I also liked the refernces to May and Ash. It seemed like while Max was smart, he still had a lot of growing up to do and he looked up to May and Ash.

Overall, pretty good so far. Well-written and while there are some grammar errors, it's nothing that should be a big deal (I'm not a Grammar Nazi.) I like where this story is headed!

New Chapter: Chapter 4- Unova

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Creature of Storms
    Also check out my completed crossover of Pokemon and Pirates by clicking the title!

"Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."
    Ephesians 6:17

Quote Originally Posted by ESPNfanatic35 View Post
    Overall, pretty good so far. Well-written and while there are some grammar errors, it's nothing that should be a big deal (I'm not a Grammar Nazi.) I like where this story is headed!
    Thank you very much for reviewing. I must admit the first few chapters do lack a bit of... story shall we say and is definitely weird in terms of my description and choice of words, and even though I atually di re-visit these chapters I may do just that again and instead in the first Chapter of Max just randomly going for Charmander I would have Birch and Oak remind him of when Squirtle picked May and thus it would make more of a plausible situation... possibly!

Thank you for reviewing and if you continue to read then I hope you enjoy the direction it's taking and the development of the characters. If you do continue to read and notice anything extremely odd or just damn stupid then please state so I can fix them : ) Thank You

A/N Because of this review I decided today that I would edit Chapter 1 - 3 and sof ar have made one vital change to the storyline at the end of Chapter 1 when Max picks Charmander! Its partially the reason he does choose the Pokemon. Secondly Chapter 3 has also had an update to Max being given Budew! That's all for now and I may update Chapters 4 - 6 over the upcoming weeks if I feel inspired to do so : )
    Last edited by harryheart; 2nd June 2010 at 6:55 PM. Reason: EDITED FIRST FEW CHAPTERS

Default Chapter 20: An Iron Skill

Firstly eveyone this is being posted earlier than expected because I just need to concentrate on some revision at the moment and worrying about posting a Chapter aint great : (

Secondly please read the above post to find out what I've done to the first few Chapters.

And thridly here are a few treat bits for you - Max's Hoenn Journey Intro 2 - made by DanChimchar and is just a bit of fun : )

And as promised here are a few more Bios:

Max: - A young quirky trainer from the Hoenn region who is unknowingly tangled within soom loop holes of the region - at the moment he has been travelling for 1 month and 3 weeks - its funny how 5 Chapters have progressed and along with it 1 week which took about half a year to post! Silly me

Harriet: - One of Max's newest friends she comes all the way from Eggseter Town in Jhoto and has been travelling for almost double the length of time of Max 3 months and 1 week

Roxanne: - A good old trusty friend who is there to help whenever they need although now they are back in town will she reveal who has been at the Gym and why she has been away for the length of time as she has.

And another quick note I would like to dedicate this Chapter to Blue Snover (my reasons are known by him) because he exceptionally kind and genirous! Thanks Blue

Chapter 20: An Iron Skill

The beautiful dancing moonlight painted its mysterious aura across the midnight sky that spread wondrous glory across the Earth. A young fellow, amongst the brisk gushes of an easterly wind that scattered across the moonlit sea, slowly heaving to and fro with their white milky froth crashing ashore, was leaving rushed tracks amongst the sand. He was fidgety and nervous, edgy about something, and the three accompanying Pokémon could clearly tell that their trainer was on the rim of collapsing.

The small flying type that hovered gently on the airstream swooped down towards the ground, using solely the guidance of the breeze to help its relatively short dark navy coloured wings to navigate this path. The feathers bristled in the wind and finally the bird touched down, right in the path of his agitated trainer who reeled back rather startled.

“Hey Murkrow, you gorgeous little bird,” Max said ruffling the feathers on top of the circular cap that rested upon the Pokémon’s head, possibly appearing to resemble the shape of a Top Hat. It squawked back at him raising its wings rapidly as it let out the screech, noticeably worried about his trainers’ condition.

“I know Murkrow, I know...” he looked up from the comforts of his own sanctuary, “I honestly don’t mean to upset you all like this, but I just can’t see what we’re going to do!”

Small fiery tears swelled like pockets of air around his emerald eyes and a sudden rush of temptation to bellow out his own sorrows overpowered him. His lips quivered and the uncontrollable force was bending the boy into a twisted a figure.

Fighting against the will to cry, he settled himself comfortably upon the sand, attracting his Pokémon towards him with open arms, “The Contest is over, and Budew now has such a useful move,” he said patting the green bud firmly, “but besides this I can’t see how we’re going to be able to get an upper hand when Charmander, you’re at a disadvantage and Murkrow you are too.”

None of the Pokémon responded they just nestled their heads safely into the relaxing warmth that Max was radiating. All four Pokémon coiled into secure positions in their trainer’s tender grip, while he sank his body further into the sand allowing the emitting heat of a summer’s night to blanket them into sleep.

A young girl warily awoke surrounded by an assortment of luscious linen that moulded itself to the outline of her body, acting as a nice sandwich of beautiful comfort. Pushing aside the violet coloured cloth, she raised her hands high into the air as her face pulled at all corners while she allowed her muscles a morning stretch. She then resorted to fumbling her hands through her matted auburn hair, just to make sure she seemed more professional than the general early dawn look portrayed. Today felt like a good day, and starting things off right was only going to make things better, and also make an improved impression upon yesterday’s defeat.

A hard rasp suddenly sounded on her door and brought her out of her own proceedings. A little shocked she leapt out of her bed and headed immediately to the chair where her bright silky pink dressing gown lay. Before she could even muster the effort to chuck it on, the computer screen that sat only a few inches away (standing elegantly aloft on the mahogany desk that decorated the Hotel Room) flashed on with its initial flicker of colours, noting a message. She quickly scanned it, but didn’t seem to memorise anything that it said, instead she whisked herself to the entrance of her room and hastily threw open the door.

“Oh, Roxanne, hello there, is there anything I can help you with?” she spoke as she was trying to resist letting forth a gaping yawn whilst using the door as a prop to keep herself from collapsing in front of a well renowned friend.

Roxanne was so frantic that she didn’t even give herself time to blurt out an answer but instead rushed right into the room, not even revelling in the moment. She poised herself on the bed, before uncomfortably having to jump up again and dash towards the balcony, perching on the edge of a wooden antiquity. Harriet only gradually made it onto the balcony after Roxanne and slumped heavily against the other fitted chair that looked out over the marvellous images of a relaxing beach, with calm rolling waves and the odd dune positioned here and there.

“It’s... eh umm... it’s Max! He’s disappeared!” Roxanne almost tearfully cried, unconsciously rubbing her face and flicking her hair backwards and forwards due to her frenzied behaviour, “I couldn’t – couldn’t find him, he’s not in his room... Curtis!”

“What! Curtis and Max have gone?” the young girl nervously shrieked.

“No, no, no! Max, it’s just him only – Curtis he’s... I... I think – that’s it he’s out looking for Max, everything’s gone!” her babbling speech represented her hatred and annoyance towards herself, she had managed to lose Max, and that was heartbreakingly destructive to her.

Harriet felt hysterical and distraught as well and was unsure where they would start to look for Max, maybe he had just gone down to breakfast early or gone to practice and prepare for his upcoming Gym Battle, somewhere like the training fields or even the beach... that had to be it!

“Roxanne, where did Curtis go to?” Harriet immediately asked, thrusting her body from the chair and standing positively in front of Roxanne, managing to block out the gaze of the Sun that partially caused some irritation to the flustered Gym Leader.

She became gradually more aggravated as her mind concocted different situations of the present condition, “No, no, it’s not Curtis, its Max who’s disappeared...” she answered with a mistaken message.

Harriet chuckled a little at the realisation of her friends muffled confusion, “No you silly that’s not what I was asking,” she spoke as she continued to laugh, a tad puzzled at why she found this ideal funny, “I mean, where did he go to look for Max?”

“Oh... oh, umm I think he’s gone round town... yes that’s where he’s gone!” It finally clicked, at last being able to understand what her conversation with her young friend had detailed. She turned around to look at Harriet, seeing the vibrant and joyful vision that spread out across all cells of her feminine complexion.

“Well we’re going somewhere else, run to your room and get ready; I think I know where Max is!”

The hefty sounds of enthusiastic tourists lifted over the rolling dunes as the greenery was slowly departing behind Harriet and Roxanne, along with the towering infrastructure of Rustboro. With a quick step acquired in their walk they hurried onto the sandy ground mixed with a few sparkles due to the early morning sun. They scanned their eyes across the rather sparse beach that lay in front of them for any sign of the black haired boy or his trusting Pokémon lurking amongst the murky shadows of the hidden sea, progressing gradually forwards and backwards to the rhythm of its control. The sweet swash and the bright backwash was a comforting sound of settling nature and Harriet immediately realised the attraction of seafaring or even living and working amongst a seaside town or resort. It was… delectable.

“Harriet, over here!” called Roxanne hurriedly jumping upon the spot to gain the attention of the young girl intertwined within her own thoughts, “Come quickly!”

Harriet leapt away from the careering white combs of the waves, narrowly avoiding a full soaking of her body. She rushed towards the opposite end of the beach, passing a few younger children messing about playfully with plastic shaped models to form interesting designs out of the soft mushy material that sat neatly underneath their feet. A few last imprinting footsteps upon the sand and Harriet was aligned with Roxanne, bending over and panting shortly to catch her breath from an intrepid sprint.

“I saw…” Roxanne hesitated before she immediately corrected herself, “I think I saw the fiery flame on Charmander’s tail just sneaking behind those rocks over there.” Harriet followed the pointing finger sending her sight across the trail set out before her until she noticed a few hidden boulders snuck behind a very green dune sticking out from its surrounding partners.

“Well then… let’s go!”

The two fellow ladies stormed their way across the warming sand, being ever so careful not to interfere with secluded burrows near the dunes, home to an array of different species of Pokémon. They hurtled their way around the bending shoreline, and within almost a split second they came crashing down to the ground, flailing horribly as their path had been interrupted by a large mass.

“Are you okay?” the lump asked, scratching the side of his head whilst caressing the skin to alert his touch to any sign of bruising or damage.

“Umm… no we’re…” Harriet’s speech yet again trailed off into an unknown depth of hearing as she stared rather blankly at the baffled image of Max who was still struggling to gage his whereabouts, “Just woken up have we Max?”

“Yes… yes that’s it,” he yawned collapsing once more into a heap against the nestled pile of sand, “I must’ve fallen asleep out here!” Out of the blue, his body, now seemingly unaware of his tiredness, jolted upright as his mind slowly revealed the remembrance of his own Pokémon. He harshly peered around his bright rimmed glasses, hoping to catch a glimpse of his band of three, yet the factors of fatigue and poor eyesight left a rather blurred image in any case.

“Where are my Pokémon?” he whimpered fumbling around the ground with his hands to reach for his rucksack, “where are they?”

“We thought they’d be with you – in actual fact we thought we saw Charmander running around here so he can’t be too far!” Roxanne responded, she turned her attention towards the female sitting snugly next to her, “Harriet come, we’ll go find them for Max.”

“Hang on, I can come too…” Max interrupted with a general whine, kicking about upon the sandy floor to push himself onto his feet. He reached an equilibrium between his body and the ground and successfully managed to keep himself tuned correctly, not wavering about on the spot, “See… I can do it!”

“We never doubted that you could Max,” Harriet giggled, “We were only considering the fact that tiredness does seem to control your actions,” she teased, knowing full well that in his present state Max would be totally unaware of any mockery or even have a chance to retaliate.

“You two are like mindless creatures, I don’t know what I’m going to do with you – that’s for sure, as long as you’re Pokémon are with you I suppose you’ll be protected from each other… possibly,” Roxanne sighed as she headed the trio towards the line of tracks that could resemble washed away remains of footprints.

They came to what could resemble a sandy ally way in between an accumulation of large sized boulders covered from right to left in an icky green moss and on the other side a gathering of sand piles resting neatly.

Before any noticeable or visible sign of Pokémon were apparent they could hear a muffled sound of blazing ember cutting remarkably easy through another substance, while a coarse squawk sounded over the raging noises.

“That must be them,” Max cheerfully shouted, hastening his walk into a fast paced run and narrowing his direction around the hidden corner. Harriet and Roxanne, rather puzzled by his sudden enthusiasm and unaware of the true meanings behind his attitudes, followed him with their enlightened speed. They edged around the bending dune to a mirage of mystic displays sought from Max’s three accompanying Pokémon.

“Charmander, Budew, Murkrow,” Max cried with intense love, “I’ve found you… I’m so sorry for everything, I mean I was being pathetic yesterday and I know how that must’ve made you feel down yourselves. Sorry about that.” His apologetic smile beamed upon the innocent faces of his friends and comforted their souls with reassurance.

“Max? What’s this?” Roxanne interjected with her direct questioning tone, “What’s going on?”

He supported himself in a crouch besides his Pokémon and raised his glance to match Roxanne’s, “Well, you see, last night I really couldn’t sleep at all and I placed it down to having such an energetic day really, like handing Shuppet back to Emily and participating in the Contest but even with that things seemed really unsettled. So I came down to the beach and my Pokémon must’ve followed me here and then the knowledge hit me as they comforted me. I was afraid of my upcoming Gym Battle.”

“What, why are you afraid of it? You did fine against your father and really managed to use some spectacular techniques against him, so you’ll do fine against me, and you know you might even manage to take a badge off of me!”

Max reacted flabbergasted to Roxanne’s comments; he was extremely surprised about her compliments but didn’t completely absorb them into his notion, “How can you say that? You’re so strong, I’ve seen you battle before and I really don’t compare to that. And think about it, you are a rock trainer and I have two Pokémon that are weak to your types. How can I combat that?”

“Max, it’s not all about type. Even I’ve understood that. Think back to the Contest, using Grass types against one another shouldn’t be very effective but it’s a matter of using skill and tactics on top of moves that will give you a victory” Harriet suggested running to the side of Max and lifting him back to her height, “I remember when I watched the Hoenn Ever Grande League a few years back and one of the trainers’ phrases that he used a lot was, ‘the matchups not as important as the will to win’.”

“Morrison,” he responded, “Yea I remember that, I was sitting in the stadium with him watching Ash’s match against Katie; wow now that was an amazing adventure!”

“You see, everything will work out and you just need to believe in yourself and your Pokémon, and training doesn’t hurt!” Harriet joked, “Now, why don’t we head back to the hotel and call Curtis and tell him that he no longer needs to frantically search the city for you.”

The morning sun had begun its journey across the blue shining sky, hovering almost directly above the bustling city below. A group of four sat on reclining deck chairs in their swimming costumes that revealed a wide patch of skin that was browning under the light of the sun. They were positioned only a few metres away from the washing edge of the sea, occasionally being greeted with a refreshing splash of salty coolness. Their Pokémon also resided along with them, some splashing about amongst the small waves creeping towards the shore and others sun bathing in the rays of light along with their trainers.

“You know what Max… thinking about what you said earlier back at the hotel, I could give you a practice battle right here right now!” Curtis thought allowed removing the sunglasses that covered the emerald colour of his eyes, “You could use either Charmander or Murkrow and just get a grip with using them against a Pokémon type they’re weak too, if you would like?”

Max burst his eyelids wide open and stared gratefully at Curtis, “I’d be honoured if you’d do that Curtis and I’d love to use Murkrow for a battle, he’s yet to get a full on battle with me so it’d be good practice… but you don’t have a rock or an electric type with you.”

“No, true, however I do have some back in Sinnoh and I’ve been thinking about bringing a certain Pokémon over to compete in my next Contest anyway, considering it was my very first capture, so I’d be happy to battle Murkrow.”

“I guess I’ll referee again,” Roxanne sighed whilst still leaving a relaxed facial mask on and really not showing much reaction to anything.

Max smiled in acceptance of this, “Thanks Roxanne but I think we’d be fine to just battle normally, besides it’s not like it’s a Gym Battle this time!”

“Right okay then, I’ll be right back, I’ll just pop to the nearest PokéCentre and get it transferred over. I’ll see you in ten!”

Max had moved to the edge of his creamy coloured chair, fidgeting about with his hands as he waited impatiently for the return of Curtis. Over the horizon came continuous roles of tranquil water that peaked up and down as their journey across the sea bed maintained, yet Max’s impatience grew with the long ripples.

“Ooo I just can’t wait any longer, I’m so psyched!” Max cried as his clenched fists began shaking as they filled full of the adrenaline coursing throughout his body, the unbearable wait was more than enough to send him to a limited boiling point!

“Hold onto your hair!” Roxanne comically spoke, “Because your wait is over, look over there!”

Max slithered his eyesight from a shadowing light of his own trunks and caught a glimpse of the spiky hair that was pelting towards him. Within a blink of an instance he was also in a composed stance and ready for the face off, accompanied by his shaggy feathered Pokémon that’s broom like tail was fluffing in the gentle breeze.

Curtis took a couple of last strides and halted, momentarily, as he tried to catch a few gasping breaths, “Okay Max, I have the Pokémon here.” He held his hand out clutching onto an enlarged PokeBall that seemed packed tight with a vast array of multiple enjoyments; a present longing for this creature glinted in the boys’ eyes, “Looks like you and Murkrow are ready for this, so I’ll start things off!”

Without the need to call upon his trusted companion, he launched the red and white sphere above the flowing sand that melted under foot and acted as the entrance carpet for this particular surprise. The gleaming vibrant light distilled and a Pokémon that was plastered with a hint of yellow amongst the bright blue and deep black stood proud. It let forth a gruff growl that vibrated the black mane surrounding its oval shaped head.

“Whoa, isn’t that a nice surprise. Let’s get the Pokédex out for this one!” Max ecstatically stated, deeply thrusting his hand into the pale yellowness of his bag to obtain the small device that allowed for numerous interactions with the Pokémon world. Once he had grasped it and brought it out into the open air, flicking the lid open and activating the machine’s scanner, he sent it stumbling through the database to acquire the knowledge.

“Luxio is the Spark Pokémon. By touching friends with its front paws, Luxio is able to communicate through the sparks it emits and inform the correspondent of whatever it desires. The electric type moves that it can learn pack a punch when hit so it’s best advised that using quick speed or type advantage is the way.”

“Hmm, so a tough opponent then, well Murkrow there’s no need to worry! Start things off with your Shadow Ball!” The midnight blue bird opened its fair coloured beak that sucked out an eerie black energy, marked with a jolting white substance that jumped through the darkness, and grouped together in a hoard forming the globe shape.

“Luxio, once they release it, charge head on with your Spark and crush it the attack to pieces, then continue on and slam directly into Murkrow!” On command, exactly like Turtwig had done the day before, it acted upon orders, bubbling the surging energy to produce the electrical current through its veins. The energy reached the outer layer of hair and hummed a beautiful tune as it enveloped the Pokémon… and then he leaped, along the track of the oncoming attack. With the collision came unstable power, but not in favour of the black haired boy. Luxio instead came out top and the ravishing display that occurred with the explosive meet would’ve depleted anyone’s point’s count in a Contest. This was becoming remarkable by the minute.

“Murkrow, use Haze quickly to distract Luxio and fly away!” The seeping darkness spurted out of the pallid beak and beat into the atmosphere like thick gloop. Luxio, now unable to perform its attack calmly and swiftly flittered to the ground. It cocked its head a little to the right glancing solemnly towards its trainer apologising for the mess up in its execution and receiving a smile of aptitude back.

“Luxio use your Iron Tail now, if anything this should part the hazy substance!” Its tail began to shimmer a silver glint whilst the star like tip began extending in all directions. It once again whisked its body into the air and began slicing the Haze attack effortlessly, until it made contact with a heavier being. Followed by a shadow of smoke, Murkrow spiralled down from the bellowing cloud that had begun its separation and crashed with force against the sand, which only just acted as a partial dampener.

“Murkrow, no,” Max cried, startled by the impressive impact of that Steel attack, “Hmm this is tough, though that’s absolutely awesome Curtis, an amazing move, but don’t think you’ve won just yet! Now use your Pe…” His commands weren’t needed this time because the Pokémon had instinctively dodged from its position before Luxio could land another attack, however this time its wings were glowing with the same burning colour as Luxio’s Iron Tail.

“Wow Max, I suppose this was useful after all, Murkrow is using Steel Wing!”

Roxanne lifted her head from the seclusion of daytime snoozing and peaked through the corners of her eyes at the impressive sight before her. In this one attack lay a tactic that could compare against anything she threw at him and even double his chances of a simpler win. Maybe she should’ve paid more attention to this battle, but instead as normal her aggravating annoyance of being used as a robotic referee stood in the way.

“Well Murkrow, I guess we’ll use this one to our advantage, land multiple Steel Wings!”

The Pokémon soared elegantly through the air, even leaving its own trails in its wake. It rapidly circled around the electric type caught in the centre of its current and eyed it up for the perfect chance to strike. Once found it hesitated no more and flew in for the punch making contact with the curly black fur and flinging it across the beach and into the lapping waves of the sea.

“And again Murkrow, now,” shouted the energetic boy.

“Stay where you are! Don’t move and then when you can try and use your Thunder Fang!” If Curtis had his calculations correct and had chosen the accurate choice of action then Max would be instructing Murkrow to fly straight into an unwinnable trap, “Now Luxio, now!”

The charge seeped through the polished teeth and crackled with intensity which began fusing the water surrounding the Pokémon with an electrical charge. With Murkrow now unfortunately powerless to turn back in enough time and hovering right above this induced area, the jolts dived in lapsing jags into the air above Luxio, striking Murkrow in the due process. Filled with a crackling residue of the attack it plummeted against the wet licking sand again, this occasion however for the final time of the match.

“Murkrow, sorry champ I let you down, you were awesome though so come and take a nice rest.” He whipped the PokeBall out of its pocket and pointed it towards the flat out bird, absorbing it in a stream of red light, “Well Curtis, as always you’ve proved why you managed to reach the Top eight in Sinnoh so I can’t feel too bad about losing to someone as prestigious as you.”

“You and Murkrow deserve the credit; you must’ve done something right for it to learn such a powerful move only a few weeks into your friendship.” He reached out and shook Max’s hand with a sense of self accomplishment, “And I suppose if you would like I could try and teach Iron Tail to Charmander, who is eligible for learning such a move with the help of Luxio.”

“Really, you would? This day is getting better and better,” he responded profoundly happier than he had been for a while, “With that then all my Pokémon would now have a defence against Roxanne’s rock types. Well I best get practicing Steel Wing with Murkrow so I ought to take it to a PokéCentre quickly to get it checked out and all, and then time to start Charmander’s training!”

Leaving no time for a reply he dashed past Curtis and headed straight for the nearest centre that sat next to the washing water of the ocean. Now (to Max) it seemed decorated with cosmic beauty brought on by the warming touch of the Sun and the whistling delights of Nature. With his Pokémon tagging along behind him, Max felt unstoppable.

“Well Curtis, you sure did him a favour today,” Roxanne said sitting herself at right angles on her reclining chair and unpinning the coils placed in her hair, “But do you think that all this may just get to his head?” Harriet nodded in agreement to this exact comment, feeling herself a slight unevenness about Max’s found confidence.#

Curtis humbly sighed, seeing the truth behind the Gym Leaders statements, “We can only wait and see…”
    Last edited by harryheart; 4th June 2010 at 3:00 PM.

[QUOTE]“Morrison,” he responded, “Yea I remember that, I was sitting in the stadium with him watching Ash’s match against Katie; wow now that was an amazing adventure!”/QUOTE]

Katie was my favorite of all of the league opponents Ash faced not only because of her unique team but because we share an awesome name. :P

The highlight of this chapter was the battle between Max and Curtis. Nice to know Max's Pokemon will soon be able to fight Roxanne.

I'm going to laugh if Ash faces someone named Curtis in the anime Sinnoh league.

Katie was my favorite of all of the league opponents Ash faced not only because of her unique team but because we share an awesome name. :P
    She was one of my favourites as well because she didnt have the generic region team. I also thought that quite a lot that occured within the Hoenn League would effect Max because it was his first league where he was present. It also was one where he witnessed some tough battling that would have developed him! So I thought adding it in would be useful!

The highlight of this chapter was the battle between Max and Curtis. Nice to know Max's Pokemon will soon be able to fight Roxanne.
    I absoloutely loved that bit as well because I think it showed how much Max still needs to develop as well although he holds the knowledge within his head!

I'm going to laugh if Ash faces someone named Curtis in the anime Sinnoh league.
    If it happens I will shout forgery lol!

Thanks for your review Chosen! As ever it was useful!

Finally i can get a review in

I like the way that Max's Pokemon are progressing, i can't wait to see how he gets on with the gyms.

I look forward to seeing more of the contests too, you have a knack for portraying them.

Credit to Mr. Joker for the Glee banner
    Credit to Skiyomi for the lovely Blue Snover banner

If anyone is interested in a custom ribbon for your profile pic, be sure to check out Ayra's sprite thread in the fanart section, if you want to take a look at her work have a look at my profile.

Finally i can get a review in

I like the way that Max's Pokemon are progressing, i can't wait to see how he gets on with the gyms.
    Thank you Blue, I'm actually quite pleased about this because it shows that my writing in some way holds development in it and can portray the progression that my characters are undergoing from the day that they are introduced. I'm feeling that over the next couple of Chapters characters goals, motives, actions may change and this is the same for the Pokemon too : )

I look forward to seeing more of the contests too, you have a knack for portraying them.
    Thank you for this comment especially because I wasn't sure whether I had succefully managed to include the things needed to have a good Contest or not and whether the 'Contest Battles' in and out of the actual competitions were really something unique and different from regular battling!

Okay, here's my review on your next few chapters!

Chapter 3
    I really like your setting description in this chapter, it really puts the reader in the place you're describing. I particularly like your description of Charmander's Screech attack. I also really like how you have Max ;earn to talk to his Pokemon and hear what they say. This is something that should have been explained more in the anime. Kudos to you for that.

Max pondered over the phrase, looking back up at Joshua
    This statement is said before Roxanne asks him what his name is. Another thing I found was that Joshua seemed a bit strange at first. He couldn't seem to make up his mind between being a strict, mean, harsh guard of the Protector or a misunderstood, sensitive man who was just trying to be protective. I understand character development, but this is a bit extreme.

Chapter 4
    Short but good. It explained quite a bit and I really liked how you stayed true to the anime when it came to Butch and Cassidy's funny personalities.

“Aggghhh! My beauty is becoming dirty,” whined Cassidy like a little baby wanting candy.
    Hahaha what a great line!

The only thing I found in this chapter was that Budew traveled through Sinnoh with Joshua and defeated Roark's Onix, yet it couldn't defeat Max's brand new Charmander. Granted, fire-types are good against grass-types, but it still seemed like too quick of a battle.

Chapter 5
    Wow, poor Max! His journey isn't starting too well! Again, good job describing the villians and settiongs overall. Not mut else to say here except that it advances the story well.

Chapter 6
    Boy, it seems like the description gets better and better for each chapter.

Wow, for a second there you sounded like one of my sisters newest friends, how odd!
    Yay, Dawn has a cameo! (Kind of)

The battle scene between Harriet and Max was good, I enjoy the introductions of all these new characters. Out of curiosity, was Harriet a character in the anime or someone you made up?

Overall so far, I'll give this an 8/10. Very good description, very good story so far. I like all of the new characters as well as the chemistry between Roxanne and Max. The only thing I saw was character development. It seems like the characters don't have their own distinct personalities yet. I know you received some comments about that already. I realize that it's really early in the story still, so I trust that's something you've worked on throughout your later chapters. Overall, a heck of a fic!

Also check out my completed crossover of Pokemon and Pirates by clicking the title!

"Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."

Okay, here's my review on your next few chapters!

Chapter 3
    I really like your setting description in this chapter, it really puts the reader in the place you're describing. I particularly like your description of Charmander's Screech attack. I also really like how you have Max ;earn to talk to his Pokemon and hear what they say. This is something that should have been explained more in the anime. Kudos to you for that.

This statement is said before Roxanne asks him what his name is. Another thing I found was that Joshua seemed a bit strange at first. He couldn't seem to make up his mind between being a strict, mean, harsh guard of the Protector or a misunderstood, sensitive man who was just trying to be protective. I understand character development, but this is a bit extreme.
    Thank you very much for this comment, I really did want to make a plausible reason as to why Max can communicate with his Pokémon and it revolves around the distinction of emotion really which I hope can be seen. Joshua as well I must admit does lack in development in his initial episodes and is overall a weak character really but I hope in his later cameos this can be changed.

Chapter 4
    Short but good. It explained quite a bit and I really liked how you stayed true to the anime when it came to Butch and Cassidy's funny personalities.

Hahaha what a great line!

The only thing I found in this chapter was that Budew traveled through Sinnoh with Joshua and defeated Roark's Onix, yet it couldn't defeat Max's brand new Charmander. Granted, fire-types are good against grass-types, but it still seemed like too quick of a battle.
    Ah yes! Cassidy and Butch! Well they’re set for quite a tumble ride throughout Hoenn and Harriet and Max show them a thing or two, Roxanne doesn’t really have the patience for them which does show Max’s naivety a little. They’re set for a lot of development starting from chapter 23 onwards but firstly I need to post CHAPTER 21! It should be up soon though and then I can catch up with my release dates! And Budew also gets redemption in the upcoming Gym Battle with Norman!

Chapter 5
    Wow, poor Max! His journey isn't starting too well! Again, good job describing the villians and settiongs overall. Not mut else to say here except that it advances the story well.
    This evil team has a very dark agenda really, and I want to be able to fully flesh them out really and show their monstrosity compared to what the show does! And they also involve Max because of a certain reason and he doesn’t just coincidently do it!

Chapter 6
    Boy, it seems like the description gets better and better for each chapter.

Yay, Dawn has a cameo! (Kind of)

The battle scene between Harriet and Max was good, I enjoy the introductions of all these new characters. Out of curiosity, was Harriet a character in the anime or someone you made up?
    Ah yes she did get a cameo! And Harriet is a character I introduced! The anime trio are actually quite important to Max’s development!

Overall so far, I'll give this an 8/10. Very good description, very good story so far. I like all of the new characters as well as the chemistry between Roxanne and Max. The only thing I saw was character development. It seems like the characters don't have their own distinct personalities yet. I know you received some comments about that already. I realize that it's really early in the story still, so I trust that's something you've worked on throughout your later chapters. Overall, a heck of a fic!
    I thank you a lot for your gracious answer!

wow you are realy good at making storys wow awsome
    MY FAVOUITE POKEMON
    treecko
    aipom
    chimchar
    pokabu
    starly
    squirtle
    charmander
    wooguru
    victi DONT DIS THEM OR YOU MIGHT MAKE THEM MAD

I dunno if it's been suggested or whether it's already part of one of your storylines, but I think Max should have a Ralts (however that it should not evolve). There was an episode in the anime where Max befriended one and I thought she should've taken it with him... but he did not.

Alright, I'm back with my next review:

Chapter 7

Yeah, it's short but imo it's better having a good chapter that's quick and to the point rather than adding worthless fluff. I like how you kept up with May's development in the anime. She went from kind of a weak, pathetic trainer (not to sound mean lol) to a strong, independent trainer. Good on you for keeping that consistency.

Chapter 8

“Hah! That’s my win!” The scarlet clear eyes once again piercing Jimmy’s soul as he recalled his Pokemon back to their balls. “I got a tip for you…” he paused, most likely to give an effect to his words following, “Bond with your Pokemon more. If you do that then you will be able to tell what they can do in reaction to an attack. Good Luck!”

They both clasped the others hand tightly, as if saying that they will meet again. Jimmy parted company, wandering down the track heading towards Oldale Town.
    I understand in this part that you want to transport the story back and forth from Jimmy's side to Max's side until they eventually meet. That's fine. The only problem is some of the paragraphs seem pretty short before it transitions again. It goes back and forth too quickly.

Chapter 9

Nothing to say here other than this chapter was fantastic!

Chapter 10

I liked this chapter a lot, as well. I'm glad you had Max lose because that would have been very unrealistic if he won against his dad the first time. The battle scenes seem a bit rushed and a bit too short, though. The attacks themselves were well described, there just didn't seem to be as much emotion in the trainers as there probably should have been.

“Good idea little bro, Drew and Harley are here if you want a word?”

“God no...no offense to either one of them, but Drew would just gloat and Harley would act immature.”
    You had me laughing really hard at this part!

Chapter 11

I really like the training scenes and Max's Pokemon's willingness to train. The battle scenes here are really good again, I would still like to see more emotion from the trainer's though.

“Nice, my Lopunny just evolved. You ready to pack a punch with your Dizzy Punch?”
    A Pokemon evolving is a big deal imo, but I picture him saying that the same way he would have said, "Nice, we're having meatloaf for dinner."

Great job on the cliffhangers and the buildup of the Leather Case btw. It makes the story more compelling!

Chapter 12

WOW! What a twist! Traveling through time?! Cool! Wanting to change the past and give himself a Mudkip to avoid all the trouble is realistic for someone as young as Max who hasn't had Charmander for too long. I'll admit though, I was sad and disappointed in Max for that! Glad he decided not to, though.

In conclusion, these six chapters are great. The first six are really good, but these next six are a heck of a lot better. There is so much description that puts the images in my head clearly. I love that you have made the characters have much more personality, too. You have done great especially in building on Roxanne's character. Keep up the great work! 9/10

Quote Originally Posted by treecko power View Post
    wow you are realy good at making storys wow awsome
    Thank you for that

Quote Originally Posted by random-man View Post
    I dunno if it's been suggested or whether it's already part of one of your storylines, but I think Max should have a Ralts (however that it should not evolve). There was an episode in the anime where Max befriended one and I thought she should've taken it with him... but he did not.
    Don't worry there! I do have things planned for this lot and we'll wait and see about Ralts! I hope that the story does please you with whatever decision it is!

In conclusion, these six chapters are great. The first six are really good, but these next six are a heck of a lot better. There is so much description that puts the images in my head clearly. I love that you have made the characters have much more personality, too. You have done great especially in building on Roxanne's character. Keep up the great work! 9/10
    I read through all your review and I was really really pleased with what you had to say, especially about the development of the characters because that is something I've really worked upon and I'm hoping that this continues! The battle scenes should improce (I say) but I'll let you decide that! The time travel plays a vital part, more than Max says and it should link to a little something mentioned in Chapter 2!#

Thank you for you review!

I read through all your review and I was really really pleased with what you had to say, especially about the development of the characters because that is something I've really worked upon and I'm hoping that this continues! The battle scenes should improce (I say) but I'll let you decide that! The time travel plays a vital part, more than Max says and it should link to a little something mentioned in Chapter 2!#

Thank you for you review!
    You're welcome! Can't wait to read more. I'll catch up with the current chapter soon!

Well hey all! I must apologise for how late this is but as you can see from the vastness of it that it got a little boring and so I had to give it a break and then got back into writing it! Sorry about that though. I have decided that future Gym Battles will become 2 parters from the sheer volume in this, so do take it in sections if it's easier. Thank You

And thridly here are a few treat bits for you - Max's Hoenn Journey Intro 2 - made by DanChimchar and is just a bit of fun : )

It has to be split into two posts so sorry about that as well...

Chapter 21: Rock, Paper, Scissors!

A time scale of roughly a week had passed since Harriet’s premier in the realms of Contests, and the bounding triumph of placing in the top two was still resonating around her body. She had also been so thrilled by watching Max’s hard efforts to train for his second badge that she had too become entangled within the same excitement and had already begun training both Burmy and Chikorita for their next Contest appearance, even managing to sneak a quick battle off Curtis during the anticipated wait for the upcoming day.

She strolled out of the grand hotel, decorated on the outside with wondrous and luxurious colours that would suit any person or Pokémon who happened to stay there. These blended quite well with the succulent blossoms of spring, flittering sparkles of pollen into the upper air. Her trek led her through the gardens centred towards the back of the huge building and these were accustomed to other ranges of blossoming flowers sparkling about the green earthly colour of the grass. Their vivacious colours masked a world that some may have labelled destructive and the flowers only allowed for beauty and love to spill into nature around them, and Harriet really could dwell in this sanctuary of knowledge. Once she had made it out of the complex she ambled her way past bubbling children, once again moulding sand to the sounds of the calming breeze and the tranquil murmurs of the sea.

“Ah, this is so relaxing,” she smiled, immediately clutching two PokeBalls in both of her soothing palms, “Chikorita, Burmy come on out and enjoy this too!”

She tossed the spherical balls of life across the luscious open sand that carried on along the shoreline for miles, side by side with the quelling splashes of the waves. The white magical energy escaped from the protective shells and jaggedly descended onto the beach in wavy formations. The sparkling light merged together to form the outlines of two very unique Pokémon before dispersing and revealing their cute little bodies.

“Hello you two,” Harriet smiled, opening her arms wide as they both soared into her joyous hug, “I take it you had a nice rest then?”

‘Chik, Chikori!’ the docile Pokémon responded, nudging her head in affection against Harriet’s arm.

“Well then, what do you say to a morning of pure relaxation then? I mean, this afternoon we’re going to be busy cheering Max on to win his second badge and then after that we’re out of here,” she happily smiled, “I’m thinking that Verdanturf Town is our next destination, I hear they hold brilliant Contests there, so we might as well soak up the beautiful atmosphere here one last time!”

Chikorita immediately leapt out of Harriet’s arms and curled up on its smooth back against the cushioning sand below. Her plant stems were all left open to the formidable Sun rays that gloriously immersed the warming heat that bathed the Pokémon.

“Well then Burmy, I guess we should just do the same,” the young lass giggled while placing her pink fluff ball upon the sandy shores, “This day is going to be so great!”

“Right, Murkrow try that once more and Charmander dodge it by using Iron Tail on the ground,” the ecstatic boy shouted while flicking a dangling lock of hair out of his eye sight so that he could absorb a clearer picture of the fascinating moves.

His Murkrow had already started its decent as its wings changed from their usual dull colour to the vibrant gloss colour of steel, gleaming brightly against the clear blue sky of the day. Charmander had relocated its waiting stance, moving all its weight solely onto its burning hot tail; hopefully the previous weeks practice had strengthened the tail enough to successfully allow Charmander to spring above Murkrow.

Charmander’s tail now began to shimmer with the same distinct light as Murkrow’s wings, leaving only the tips’ flame the smoky red colour. It clenched its muscles and tightened its focus, scrunching up the silky smooth skin on its face. With ease, Charmander pushed against the sandy floor, breaking past its normal height barriers as Murkrow only narrowly brushed past the extended fiery flame before immediately halting its course.

“Wahey, we’ve done it, we’ve actually done it guys!” Max gleefully shouted as he too jumped with delighted pleasure, “Roxanne’s Stone Badge is ours!”

A rather desert like area surrounded the domed building structured together by multiple rocks to resemble the image of a mysterious cave. The seemingly infertile land had been respected with the odd palm tree here and there that helped make it feel less derelict and desolate; each plant also spouting a few succulent pieces of fruit that amongst the rugged terrain appeared very out of place. These washed over land had been the site of Max’s first witnessed Gym Battle outside of his own and rested with a warm nostalgia in his heart, yet this time it was finally his turn!

“Ah man, I’m so psyched for this,” Max whispered intentionally, making sure that Harriet wasn’t able to hear his quiet comments, “I better not lose like I did against my Dad, I just can’t…”

Neither two companions said anything after these silent remarks, but instead planted their feet in a continuous motion up to the gigantic steel doors that marked the entrance of Roxanne’s Gym. He slowly crept in through a small crack that he had made while tugging against the bulky material, with Harriet edging her way in after.

The lights of the stadium were blasting their powerful beams about the room; Max gaped in awe at the wondrous decor that had been fitted throughout the monstrosity matching a difference since his last visit. He peered through the circular rims of his glasses up towards the podium spot where the Gym Leader took their position and noticed not Roxanne but instead another familiar face.

“No way, Brock?” he callously cried, “What on earth are you doing here? Last I heard you were travelling through Sinnoh with Ash and Dawn!”

The rather buff man stood with a smug stance facing the emerging Max, briskly undoing his black and orange jacket that kept his vague green t-shirt locked behind it, “Well yes, I was, but when an old friend asks for a favour I always deliver, and besides Dawn has competed in the Grand Festival now and likewise with Ash and the Sinnoh league so I didn’t mind taking time out from travelling to look after a Gym, and to be honest, I kind of like being on my own again,” he smiled, “And on another note I hear from Roxanne that these past two months have been spent looking after you… ironic I think,” he partially chuckled, moving away from the podium and heading over to Max.

Max rubbed his head with a rather embarrassed touch, “Well, I can’t really blame you to be honest, and ironic, I guess I see how.” He faded into a marvelled state, “And running a place like this… wow!”

Max turned around as he realised that not a single person was busy paying attention to his gawping comment, his face instantly drooped and sank into a bold red colour.

“And you young lady, you hold dear beauty that can only be told through my undying love; that shine in your glamorous hair is amazing and…” he collapsed in a pile against the rocky field as a protruding jabbing mud hand stuck rather sorely into the centre of his back. A small blue looking Pokémon that resembled a hunched and pained creature sat casually behind its trainer with its lilac coloured Poison Jab neatly placed in its trainers’ flesh.

“Ha, looks like Croagunk has taken over my job then!” Max belted out, laughing his socks off at the vast humour from this one action.

“Ugh, why do I bother?” Brock rhetorically implied, “Don’t worry Max, ugh; I’ll be back in time, ugh, to see your Gym Battle with Roxanne, ugh…” Brock stated as his poison Pokémon began dragging him over the rough and uneven Gym field that bore a few cracks in its floor from what must’ve have been intense battles.

The two young trainers watched on relatively perplexed at this odd occurrence; a definitive smile stole a partial spotlight on both of their faces before they too decided to just forget what they had witnessed and return to their task of finding Roxanne. A door at the opposite end of the pitch beckoned to them, and they flung themselves with all their might and as quickly as possible over to that area. Max was raring to undergo his second Gym Battle whilst Harriet was quite excited to witness the tremendous power.

The door suddenly pitched open on its axis and belted into the side of Max’s flesh, sending him off balance and onto the ground with a shocked expression. He quickly resumed his natural air and kicked back onto his feet.

“Oh, Max, sorry about that,” Roxanne stated, dusting a few particles of dust from the young boys clothes, “I heard… commotion with Brock and so expected you to be here for your Gym Battle and I didn’t want him handing an easy win to you now…” she giggled, hoping to retain an essence of dignity about her. She then looked up from her obsession and squinted about the hall, unable to see the figure of the brooding Brock, “Where is he exactly?”

Max managed to acquire his posture again, a tad bewildered by his little knock, “Ugh, well we’re not really sure, the last we saw of him, his Croagunk had grabbed hold of his leg and began dragging him out of the front door weird eh?”

“Most definitely,” Harriet entered her remarks with a casual tone, “But what I don’t get is how does he know you Max?”

“Oh he was someone I use to travel with back when my sister and I were in a group, and this Gym was a pit stop for our journey,” he chuckled, “However that’s a long story and I really want to get this battle started.”

He turned back to face his other renowned friend, asking the challenging question just with the use of the muscles in his face. Roxanne cottoned on to his questioning grandeur and held her hand out that had placed in the centre three PokeBalls, diminished in size because they had yet to be activated.

Their attention spiked away from the three balls as the giant doors to the gym jutted open with force, and Brock, featured with a dazed look, wobbled inside. He reached energetically for a few pieces of equipment, tucked neatly away behind the stands while Roxanne now returned back to her answer.

“Okay then Max, considering my judge for this battle has just returned,” she tutted, taking a quick glance towards Brock’s location, “I can now tell you the rules, it will be a three on three with only you, the challenger, eligible for making substitutions. When one opponent’s Pokémon all are unable to battle the other person wins, the general set of rules.” She looked at the vigorously excited young boy, who himself had pulled the homes of his three friends out of their slots along his belt. She had spent almost two months travelling alongside Max, training him up as a person to combat against tough and unique situations where he would have to present his strengths as a trainer, and now it was her turn to test his skills.

“I’m ready!” Brock hastily interjected, clambering onto his embossed platform that was directed at the edge of the outlined battle field. He most eagerly clasped the two coloured flags that indicated the rivalry per se of two trainers in the heat of a battle, “So, now will both trainers please take their rightful places!”

As if time had begun to almost inevitably run out, Roxanne and Max rapidly took their places at opposite ends of the rocky nature set out before them. They themselves were fervent for the chance to have the real battle of will and strength that had unavoidably been creeping closer the further their travels took them.

“So then, with the rules explained both trainers must now call upon the first Pokémon they wish to use,” Brock generically shouted with the sense repetition in his voice.

“Okay Max, I’m sure you’ve guessed who’ll be up first,” Roxanne called across the floor, holding in her hand the shiny outline of a sphere, “Nosepass, it’s time for you to show them what we’re made of!” As her lunge tossed the ball into the centre of the field, the exploding chasm of beaming light spiralled onto the material surface, clenching together to make the outline of a relatively large head. The sapphire toned Pokémon emerged from the confines of the glow.

“I had a feeling that you’d start with Nosepass, so Budew you’re my choice!” Max too flung his sphere out into the rocky space before them, with another beaming flash of light dissipating to reveal another creature. Max and Budew were ready for this now, ready to begin and ready to win! This was setting up to be such a brilliant and partially easy victory for them due to the type advantage resting on their side.

“Max you have the first move, and I’m delighted to see what you’ll throw at me!” Roxanne hastily spoke positioning her delight into tremendous happiness as her wait for the raging battle had drifted down to a count of zero.

“Well then, Budew begin with your Bullet Seed!” Max intensely cried with a coursing bulge of power, “Don’t let up either and just continue to fire it… this has to work.” Budew kicked its body backwards and thrust its head forwards to give a little bit more force behind her attack, something which she had learnt from her first Gym Battle in Hoenn.

“Sorry Max, but you really didn’t think this through now did you? Remember I was there when you won!” Roxanne quite cleverly spoke, “Nosepass release a barrage of Zap Cannons at the oncoming seeds!” The rock type levitated a little above the Gym floor probably from the high surging electricity flowing through its body and it actually put itself in a direct line for the emerging grass attack, yet that didn’t bother the Pokémon too much for it was use to this sort of tactic. The spherical charge of the powerful crackling electricity began forming before the gigantic orange nose that stuck out poignantly on the Pokémon. With one simple flick of its body, the destruction raged through the air making immediate contact with the feeble opposing attack before carrying its rampage onwards. Budew was in trouble!

The attack was practical in its destruction and quite capably flung Budew across the entire stadium. The incredible force dealt more damage with the sudden collision against a protruding rock in the field, and Budew unfortunately crippled into a jagged corner sending immense pain to chill throughout the body. Max could see that it was impossible for her to continue.

He unwillingly raised her PokeBall, fighting back some destructive tears at such an indescribable loss, “Budew, take a good rest,” Max reluctantly mumbled before turning towards Brock, “I’m withdrawing Budew from the battle, she took too much of a battering and she needs to stay out of a fight for the moment!”

Both Roxanne and Brock had a momentary lapse of judgement and were struck with an impeccable look of shock, “Umm, okay then… Budew is unable to battle, Nosepass is the winner!”

From the stands an eager Harriet quickly noticed the sadness embark itself upon Max, “Don’t give up Max, you can still easily win this. Just remember that luck is never on one side but it can be utilised to your advantage, keep fighting!”

“Hmm you’re right!” the boy ecstatically stated, “And I know the perfect attitude to face this devious challenge, Murkrow I need you!” Max flung another sphere into the centre of the pitch and the sparkling burst of white energy flopped out onto the ground facing Nosepass. Within a matter of seconds the energy formed together the respectable shape of the midnight blue bird that immediately outstretched its wings before lifting its weight high up into the air.

“Now let’s spice things up a little by taking this battle to the sky,” Max obediently said, noting the growing smirk on his Pokémon’s face, “We’ll play this battle from afar, use Shadow Ball!” Murkrow raised itself higher into the rooftops of the stadium, making sure to get a little bit of distance so that its speed could quickly be utilised if needed. It tilted its beak backwards, as if praising a high creature that resided in the sky and channelled the shadow energy into the tip of the beak forming a gigantic spherical orb of darkness.

“Nosepass don’t let their distance affect your strategy,” Roxanne called out with a slight hint of panic as her Pokémon withdrew warily towards its trainer at the ghostly sight of the opposing attack, “Fire a Zap Cannon to counter act the Shadow Ball.” The enormous magnetic rock once again rose above the ground, undergoing what seemed to be a mystic revelation. The magnetic charges began to swirl around to form another ball of electricity just in the nick of time, as the eerie ball of shadowy pain was burrowing its way through the simple air.

“Nosepass, release it quickly!” Roxanne shouted as she saw the raging attack almost creeping into contact, “Come on Nosepass, now…”

Roxanne’s words unfortunately ended with no avail. The spherical object of doom had collided head on with the crackling expanse of energy, fusing together to create a more vivid reign of terror. This new creation, somewhat bubbling with the oozing darkness and coursing with the notable flickers of electricity, had overpowered Nosepass and left a residual trickling black goo over its body that seemed to burn with intense power as the Pokémon smacked into the side of the rocky wall. As she slid down to the ground, trying to regain any sense of balance and footing, the disgusting goo also began to drip off the Pokémon and fall to the floor with horrific consequences. Roxanne and Brock were shocked at the sheer force of this creation, watching as its acidic nature even burned through the built up floor.

“What on Earth?” Brock questioned, “How… I mean – I’ve never seen anything like that before.” He turned out of the utmost curiosity towards Max and Murkrow, seeing the hint of power sparkling in the birds eyes, “My my Murkrow, you really do pack a punch, the electricity somehow managed to create a completely different substance from your Shadow Ball, meaning either this is a common occurrence or… - the more likely of the two – you are able to manipulate the energy you can produce to contain more power.”

The entire room fell silent, stunned at the sudden revelation that Brock’s insight so wonderfully had noticed.

“And if Brock’s judgement is correct, which I am assured from numerous stories I’ve heard, then this is generally only achieved when a Pokémon bonds extremely well with another creature, in most cases being a human. You haven’t had Murkrow for long Max, but somehow you’ve created a real link between you two which I think is great accomplishment and a sign of great things to come,” Roxanne only smiled after her comments, still standing above Nosepass who was busy pruning itself of the black goo.

Roxanne’s mind was fluttering with numerous compliments and praises, and also ideas of how to combat Max, she had to clamber back into the match somehow, “You are full of surprises young man, but don’t let that get to your head, Nosepass still has a lot in her and we won’t give up that easily.”

“I wouldn’t expect anything different Roxanne, and so I graciously give you the first move,” Max responded, “Give me all you’ve got!”

“Hmm, don’t you worry about that my friend, Nosepass it’s time to pull out another type advantage, use Rock Tomb!” This time, Nosepass remained grounded and seemed to be locked directly to the grainy field, closing its beady eyes and meditating quietly. An orb of whiteness began to shroud the Pokémon, eclipsing its whole body in the wondrous extremities.

“We can’t let this move hit us Murkrow, make this battle a little more complicated with your Haze!” The misty black vapour spurred from Murkrow’s pale yellow beak as the Pokémon slowly moved its wings to an unknown beat keeping it adrift in the air. It continued its distribution of the hazy cloud until it could no longer make out a silhouette of his trainer, who had too become lost within the murky depths of a secretive attack.

The only thing noticeable from the stands, which had yet to become occupied by the intolerable Haze, was the blinding shine radiating from Nosepass. Harriet found it quite irresistible and intoxicating, feeling compelled towards it as she expected Bug Pokémon were to flames.

Amongst the foggy darkness, Roxanne continued to stare towards the only source of light emanating through the Haze and was clearly able to judge how much stored energy Nosepass had acquired, “Okay Nosepass, it’s time to release the power now!”

Harriet wasn’t able to get a clear view of exactly what unfolded, and neither did anyone else who was entangled within the clutches of the gloomy mist. It had blocked and clouded all vision, mental and physical, adding in a new dimension to the unfolding fight. Except, she could see the flashes of vibrant light soaring from one pivotal point, dissipating violently into the expanse before it and creating flashing sparkles of fireworks in its wake. If Harriet didn’t know that two Pokémon and three Humans were caught up in the blazing shower of rocks, otherwise represented by the light, then it’d have been quite a spectacle to see.

“Murkrow, I’m afraid we’re going to have to do this next bit solely relying on our trust,” Max cried over the roaring surge of the rocks that crowded down around him, adding to the confusion and distraction, “Use your Steel Wing and fly towards the origin of the light!”

Another passion burned high within Max as the cloudy substance surrounding him became filled yet again with another mystic light, this time radiating with a silvery glow. His Pokémon was soaring at vast velocities towards the opposition, and although Murkrow had an ability to partially be able to see through the fog, trying to aim for a blinding target added an ever greater difficulty.

Harriet was again the only one who could witness most of the impact, seeing the cascading lights bouncing to and fro across the stadium. The others were only blinded further by the rapid movements.

Max lifted his eyes up to a slight gap in the disappearing Haze and managed to capture a glimpse of his precious bird zipping about through the open space, “Okay Murkrow, it’s time to give this battle a clear view now. Use your wings to blow the Haze away.”

Roxanne impatiently anticipated, her anxiety building as the smoky darkness began to disappear out of the propped open windows. She could vaguely make out the collapsed and hunched over image of a large creature, sprawled across the floor directly in front of her – and she knew what had unfolded…

Inside her pocket she managed to clasp onto two PokeBalls, dragging them out into the now sunlit room, “Nosepass, my-oh-my you were amazing, thank you dear old friend. Take a nice long rest… return!”

As the beam struck hold of Nosepass’s mass, she quickly enlarged the other ball that sat comfortable in her left palm. With a rapid movement of her wrist it flew though the air and erupted a meteoric pouring of light that merged together instantaneously, creating a looming and rather intimidating long tailed Pokémon.

“You’ve done splendidly up to this point Max, and I must congratulate you on your skilful knowledge, but Onix is a completely different task altogether and requires different tactics from you.” Her heart seemed emotionally unstable with the quivering tone of her voice and it was apparent that she was filled with a mixed set of opposite emotions – Max could clearly see that playing upon these would be beneficial.

“If you say so Roxanne,” Max chuckled with an obvious attempt at humour, “However you have to beat Murkrow and I… let’s start things off quickly and charge with a Steel Wing!” Following the trend of the previous move and with utter elegance, a shimmering shine erupted over Murkrow’s glossy pruned wings. It tucked its head into a breast of feathers and embarked on a speedy descent.

“We’re not going to fall for this again, dive underground Onix!”

The bulky brute unexpectedly moved with precise determination, darting its head directly towards the ground as if it wasn’t even there. No fear ensued upon the Pokémon; the carefree nature just bubbled as Onix’s excitement flowed into its energy. Within the time of a blinking motion, Onix had vanished from sight leaving only a trail of dust cloud to show an obvious strength of force.

“Murkrow, halt now and then climb back up, we need the distance!”

“Onix, we’ve got them on the run, it’s time for you to show them the destruction of your Dragon Breath!! Resurface!”

A quaky rumble unnerved both contestants as the floor they were standing upon began cracking and spewing little chunks of rubble throughout the stadium. Max had no time to react when one small crack enlarged and the ferocious body of the elongated rock type tumbled through, holding some form of spiralling green and yellow energy at the forefront of its gaping mouth. Murkrow too was taken aback and before it could calmly collect itself it was struck with an uttermost power of devastation that continued to rage its way until another object became the barrier for the movement. What was Max now facing?

“Murkrow, return… quickly, take a long rest because I’ll need you later on!” Max reattached the PokeBall to his belt, before composing himself and retrieving another ball, “Charmander, it’s time for you to shine!” Another flash dispersed from the red and white ball, releasing the bouncy and cheerful fire type onto the pitch where it was greeted with a sinister looking smile.

“Clever choice my young friend, but you still haven’t got the type advantage even if you can pack a punch… don’t forget that. Now Onix fire another Dragon Breath and this time charge it up for longer, this is the make or break!” The hulky rock type split open the jaws of his mouth letting the pure energy pour into a collective spiral. Charmander (who had yet to witness this amazement) could only stare blankly at the sheer strength being pummelled into a tight and compact space. He knew that destruction would inevitably follow if timings were only slightly off.

“Charmander, don’t worry,” Max cheerfully responded, attached with gleaming sentiment painted onto his face, “We have something that can counter this… I think,” he scratched his head with puzzlement, “– all we need to do is try it out and then execute it, you understand?”

Charmander warily nodded at Max’s scheme, his trust ran deep but he was struck with a fear of resentment at placing himself in the risky situation, still he acknowledged why. His eyes continued to glue themselves to the towering sight of bulging jade aura that held quite an impression over him.

“Charmander, you need to concentrate buddy, don’t worry I’m here to guide you my friend. What I need you to do is blast it initially with an Ember the moment Onix releases it okay…” Max calmly spoke, keeping his attention locked upon the bubble of vigour so he could manipulate their timing.

“Onix, we’ve given them enough time to accumulate a plan, time to show them how futile it is!” With the simple command given, Onix crinkled its body into a neatly tight curl using the whip of his tail to partially protect the area around his head. Now with a defensive measure put into play he retracted his head and thrust the immaculate ball of dragon power towards the measly image of Charmander.

“You know what to do too Charmander, Ember now!” Charmander rapidly shot the numerous twists of burning fire directly at the oncoming monstrosity; hauling in a great deal of air to keep its’ onslaught going for as long as it could muster, and also to help bulk up his body a little to look a tad more aggressive. The streams of fire continued on towards their target, whistling as they projected themselves through the air. A few ricocheted around the spherical mass, sucked up because of the slipstream effect, and making impact but causing little damage to Onix. The majority of embers however degenerated the minute they struck the flaming lump falling through the stadium air with little to no affect at all. The Dragon Breath continued to rage onwards.

“Charmander, don’t give up! I know you’ve got the strength in you to…” Max’s face despatched the entire emotional epidemic that had unravelled inside. The catastrophic entity had crashed directly into Charmander fusing the excreting lemon coloured fluid into an explosive bomb. The sooty substance stuck liberally to Charmander’s orange fluffy coat changing his pristine looking fur repulsively dirty; Max became partially covered in the dusty particles as Charmander whisked over his head, flicking a hand impulsively through his hair to remove some of the powder before aiding his friend.

“Like I said Max, things aren’t as easy as you can perceive, and I’d recommend you move out of the way, now Onix finish this up with your Iron Tail!”

Charmander began shaking with tremendous fear that coursed throughout its body from the paralytic shock it had just received. Through the corner of its eye it noticed the glimmering glow of a silvery long armament edging closer. It couldn’t hear any commands being yelled at it for a defence; in fact everything seemed very distant – too distant. Charmander decided to turn towards Max for comfort as panic ran through the deeper cores of its mind. Things didn’t quite add up though. Charmander saw the scared movements that Max’s mouth was making as if shouting and yelling something that it couldn’t perceive. The sight of his trainer as well was different, clouded with a fuzzy blur and blinding to the eye. Charmander was paralyzed… Max was unfortunately out of the picture unable to communicate to his friend and the only things it could possibly concentrate on were from within his heart and soul. Charmander now held the reins.

He raised his body off the ground with simple ease, a sign that the overpowering essence may be wearing off? – only to notice a sandy powder brush past his face as a few faint silver colours emerged into the fuzz. Charmander instinctively leapt off the rocky floor entering into his own steel type attack. He used the uneven wall behind him as a spring and the hazy light shining through the window as a gage for his target noting the spectrum of colours that he could make out. The greyish distinctive ones were the only colours he deemed notable to detect.

Amid all the confusion, Charmander cleanly swiped with his tail that made a clinking resonating sound upon impact and pushed the dreary colours away from him, Charmander at least knew that something movable had born the brute force of the attack.

“Huh, how is that even possible?” Roxanne astoundingly stated, “That’s just… unbelievable. Max you really have created such a magic bond between all your Pokémon that they have the courage and determination to go for things even when the odds are clearly against them, or like in Charmander’s case when another element has control over it.” She shook her head at the disbelief, about to open her mouth again to utter another command when she captured the slight movement of the giant ominous Gym doors. They creaked open with a piercing squealing sound that ran shivers down the backs of everyone in the room; the old wooden frames hadn’t been loosened in years, and then a figure emerged. Roxanne recognised the spiky crimson hair against the backdrop of an afternoon sun with the occasional streak of black shining through, but the female standing next to him – she didn’t have a clue.

“Hey Roxanne, hey Max,” Curtis paused as he captured the endearing smile and reflecting splendour emitting from Harriet’s pink eyes. His heart began to pump faster and his nerves began to bounce back and forth inside his fluttering stomach, “Hey there Harriet, I err,” he suddenly halted mid sentence, blossoming out into a rosy colour that matched perfectly with his attire, “Umm sorry about that, don’t mind us, we just wanted to come and catch the end of the battle… good luck Max!” His eyes were still fixed upon the immaculate beauty that sat in front of him, her smile widening at the sight of him.

Max’s eyes were gripped to the lushes mauve hair flowing gently in a breeze creeping through the remaining crack, that was swiftly dealt with by the closing of the giant doors. He too was filled with an ecstatic feeling from gazing at shimmering love, “Hey there Curtis and… co, don’t worry about the interruption, in fact I think it just gave me a little boast,” Max s******ed, “Charmander Screech now!”

Charmander, now free from the paralysis that had enslaved it earlier, flipped into action by bending its body slightly backwards to open the airways before drawing in a gulp of air. The torrents of pulsing sound waves ripped sadistically through the gap that sat between the two Pokémon, blasting the air from its sockets and moving them to their own will. Onix stood no chance and this was defined by the utter might that swept Onix off the solid earth it resided on and momentarily turned the rock type into a crashing meteor. The wall was left with a residual imprint of the lengthened body, stretching an enormous pan of over twenty metres, quite small for that species.

“Onix, no – we let our guard down there my friend so this time we’ll also utilise distance, retaliate with your own Screech!”

“Charmander, repeat your attack!” The same pattern as the attack moments earlier followed, ripping the stubborn rocks from their roots in the field, except this time from both directions. The two attacks rammed into each other with enough force to push both the Pokémon a few inches across the battle floor, scraping their bodies across the coarse floor. The strain on their faces portrayed the effort they were exerting, but neither seemed close to giving up.

“Onix, add in more oomph!”

“And Charmander, you do the same!”

The gushes of brutally powerful air waves began interlocking together under the stress of more force, combing both jets through the resistance that was blocking both surges from proceeding. The determination on all their faces was the most narrative representation anyone could gage for the intensity and struggle unfolding. Neither side seemed ready to give up or even vaguely flinch from fear of a loss, things were irreparably underway.

A sudden idea blazed into Max’s jade coloured eyes that glinted with utter excitement; he noticed a chance to get an edge in this battle even if it wasn’t by a conventional method.

“Charmander, we’re going to switch things up, Ember now!” The whizzing stockades of fire immediately replaced the shrieking coil and pummelled against the opposing Screech. Roxanne lurched backwards as her surprise took a turn for the worse, seeping terror into the holes where the thrill had been. The rolling ripples were bouncing directly off the storming embers, being sent in multiple directions around the stadium, as surprisingly, the Ember continued forwards. The catalyst of events continued to spiral into the favour of Max, because even though the type wasn’t devastatingly effective it still managed to become an intolerable irritant and buy Max some extra time to consolidate all the plausible tactics.

“Charge in with another Iron Tail while you keep bombarding them with your Ember right up until you unleash it, we’ve got them locked into our corner and it’s time to take the lead!”

Charmander struck its feet vigorously into the unsteady gravel, not letting up with the salvo of scorching twists as he raced on forwards. A sneaky grin revelled itself upon his warming face as he sensed his notable lead, his slyness unravelling in this one moment as he noted the terror strike Onix. And that wasn’t all that would strike Onix.

The rock type struggled to see visibly through the flashes of burning hot red scolders and wasn’t ready to face the brute attack, wasn’t ready to face a powerful blow, and with his guard down there was no way to soften the blow. The nippy flick of the strengthened tail, now coated with the steel armour, met its match with a direct and precise hit to the brooding head protruding from the blocked rock body. Onix keeled over, flailing in the fall, chiselling out a section of the wall as its body collapsed upon it.

Brock’s attention became hawk eyed, prying his staring look on the motionless Pokémon propped up by a few pieces of rubble scoured from the wall. He noticed the occasional flinch that sparked through the body, but there was no real sign that it was able to enter into the battle again and withstand another slashing of Iron Tail.

“I’m sorry Roxanne but… Onix is unable to battle, Charmander is the winner!”

A cheerful round of applause echoed from the stands as the three youngsters commended Max and Charmander with a standing ovation; Harriet bobbing up and down from the pounding joy and pride of witnessing Max’s success.

“You’re so close now Max, and I must admit you deserve all the praise you get because that win came out of nowhere. You and your Pokémon have trust that runs deep… I don’t know how many more times I’m going to be saying that today,” she chuckled, amusing herself while the comment seem to glaze over the others, “Umm, sorry, anyway – you need to be careful now and utilise the trust you have very carefully, especially against this next beast! Rhyperior, it’s now the occasion for your first Gym Battle!”

A collage of red and white zipped across the stony ground until it burst its brims and ejected the purified energy. The light walloped onto a rocky ledge, unevenly merging into the form of some gargantuan Pokémon. Rhyperior ruptured through the glow that surrounded it, scattering it into numerous flashing particles that twinkled quite brightly. The Pokémon had breached the confines of its PokeBall screaming out a gregarious roar, the same that had nerved and terrorized Max at their first encounter. He never knew that Rhyperior was travelling with him all this time through their encounter with the human monsters that had invaded Oldale through their travels of Petalburg Forest. How could he have not known?

“Roxanne… how could you not tell me? I, I, I don’t understand – why would you hide this from me?” Max emotionally uttered, holding back the droplets of tears that had entered the corners of his eyes.

Roxanne looked blankly back, unsure of the correct way to phrase her response, but she had to say something, “Max, the Pokémon World is full of mysteries and there are people out there who want to find the answers, I for one am one of these people – and one of these mysteries is Rhyperior, he didn’t act intentionally but instead something was controlling him as I discovered after I captured him.”

“Yea, but you could’ve told me Roxanne… I’m not angry just more, shocked I suppose,” he dimly chuckled, managing to muster a faint smile, “I kind of… never expected to see him again.”

“And that’s completely understandable Max, and to be honest with you I’ve been training him for a while whenever I had the opportunity to do so and I was just waiting for the right minute to tell you, which never arrived.” She paused, deciding that changing the subject and starting the battle again was for the best, “He is a tough one to beat but as long as your emotions don’t take control then you have a good shot!”

The muted mood had come like a gust of wind, taking Max over by surprise and depleting his rational thoughts. Now however, he needed to get the stimulation back, ignite the happiness again and take Rhyperior down as some sort of revenge. Then maybe he could get over it…

He perked his attitude up, calmly sighed and offered a response, “Okay then Roxanne, I’m not going to disagree with there because Charmander and I are ready to win that badge, that’s something that’ll never waver! Now, Charmander go straight into your Screech!”

The Pokémon released the ripples of power through the ever growing dusty air, due to the lumpy movement from Rhyperior creating clouds under foot. He didn’t seem too agitated by his opponent or too unnerved by the slight tiff, although it also wasn’t his ideal matchup and he hated hearing his trainer raise his voice in ager; but things were still just a game for the little rascal, the world had yet to reveal itself to him.

The vibrations soared with great elegance and ease as if nothing viscous or resistant was hindering the progression. The two challengers had perfected their Screech offense and it seemed as if things were going exceptionally faultless, but masquerades were often Roxanne’s best tactic.

“Rhyperior, hold your ground, this is only going to tickle you, then combat it with your Hidden Power!”

He stopped lugging about his ferocious sized muscles and steadily balanced himself to brace for the incoming attack. His arms seemed to lock in place with the pointed edge hovering motionless, both horizontally stretched at a right angle with his main torso that was coated with the spectacular orange minerals, gleaming with their purified value. His bulky stature left him firm and secure, resistant to the overpowering waves that resiliently struck him, but nothing happened, zilch. The sound ambience only traced around his body before crashing against the wall in the renewed shape of Rhyperior, and indenting this vivid impression amongst the other battle scars.

The expressive rock type uprooted itself from its withdrawn position, bringing substance and solution back into its limbs and retrieving the momentary loss of motion. Rhyperior shrieked a howling roar from the pits of his fierce soul while crossing his rudimentary arms and charging them with secretive supremacy displayed by a white pulsing force. It took effortless simplicity to channel the compressed power into something worth throbbing through the barriers of his body and directing towards what he classed as a feeble adversary, but even though it was what he deemed a task unworthy of being augmented he felt an obligation towards his trainer.

Max recognised the extent of harm conjured into this one basic yet evil move, capable of knocking his pal down with only a few seconds of exposure, “Charmander, jump into an Iron Tail and use it to bounce off the Hidden Power if it comes close to hitting you, and then come down with all your might upon him, we won’t get a second chance!”

Once again Charmander’s tail was chemically changed with the alteration of the additional steel element, secreting its injection of a hardened material throughout the fiery hot flesh with a gushing distilled liquid. As the propelling offense weaned its way closer, he utilised the spring like quality now available and shot upwards, narrowly avoiding a date with destruction, however now came the tricky bit.

His thrashing antics as he descended in an uncontrollable spin made it harder to gage an appropriate timing or course trajectory, but as Roxanne had put into words earlier, allowing emotions to run your systems would be detrimental in itself. The only thing he could do was hope for the best, and so, trying to cut off any distracting thoughts, he brandished his courage and swept at the streaming energy beam with his tail.

Roxanne felt that she should be accustomed to these outlandish victories over common sense, but this just about tipped the fumigating pressure building. She was outright bemused at the triumph Charmander had accomplished, although only a small step in reaching a win, but… successful nonetheless. His thrust with his tail upon an already unstable energy field below him had somehow, without leaving even a mark, boosted the Pokémon across the stadium battle field with the reflecting exquisiteness still bellowing underneath him, until his tail made a harsh sounding noise against the bulging head of Rhyperior. The Hidden Power came to an abrupt stop.

“Huh? No way – seriously Max you have brought an entire army of luck with you today, except I think it may have just run out… try and get out of this one. Rhyperior use your Rock Wrecker now!”

Those words even sent a chilling blow down Brock’s back as he came to the conceding conclusion of how powerful Rhyperior must’ve been in order to learn it and how much stronger his potential would’ve expanded. In all his years as a travelling breeder, he was yet to meet someone with the capable handling abilities to control, let alone teach a Pokémon this move. In blatant terms, this attack was some sort of celebrity, even considered a legend amongst a few citizens and he was about to witness the capabilities and awesomeness that the move was about.

Rhyperior cupped its two hand like appendages as if holding a fragile antique that was of most importance to a relative. Spiralling swirls of a range of browns began orbiting a central point of origin, assembling together in the centre as a hulk of an object; rough edges and smooth faces on show for everyone to see. The uneven sphere kept on growing, expanding the cupped hands even further to hold such a humungous item unknown to most. The superiority of it was indeed obvious as both Max and Charmander had seemed to bow down to its sovereignty, not even willing to stage a fight, and with one dynamic push it was on its way to victory.

There was no time for Charmander to escape the clutches of this shattering boulder, for within moments of its release it had dawned straight upon him. Brock expected the ball to whip Charmander up and attach it like some sort of limb to an outer extremity, instead though the instant it touched the Pokémon it shattered and distributed shards and shrapnel of the beasty attack. Charmander had been blown a full course of the field and his momentary rest was the comfort of a solid wall.

“Charmander is down for the count; Roxanne and Rhyperior are the winners,” Brock politely muttered, “Both sides are now down to their last Pokémon, the winner of this next battle is the overall victor of the match, begin!”

Max was left with a dumbfound look smacked into his expression, he had no time to react to such a monster of an attack, even the charging time had been outstandingly fast. His chances had diminished pretty rapidly with the introduction of Rhyperior and Rock Wrecker, and he thought he had the win in the bag. Charmander had dealt two direct hits of fairly dominant attacks to Rhyperior and all it took was one of his to send Charmander out of the battle completely. Max had no idea of what he was sending Murkrow in to.

“Roxanne… that was just awesome – I must admit, and I congratulate you for all the training you’ve given Rhyperior to become trusted by him, and I’m glad you brought him into this match, it’s a chance to see what I can become, so, Murkrow I need you again!” With more confidence than before, he tossed the circular capsule for the last time this match into the centre of the now obsolete field. With an essence of vitality, the Pokémon emerged free from the screen of paleness, immediately streaming its look into the returned intimidating glare of Rhyperior’s. Murkrow was ready, even if Max wasn’t he had to be!

“Rhyperior we can’t give them any momentum to think at all, we need them on the run, so let’s go into your Megahorn!” Roxanne screamed with a pumping need for urgency, originating from her stupid idea of insecurity battling Max, feeling as if she needed to show him that she too had the ultimate drive to achieve ideal techniques and was more than proficient at wiping the floor with anyone. Although Max didn’t require convincing of this, her head dabbled at the thought.

“Murkrow, we have speed on our side, so toy with Rhyperior and then double back and attack it with your Steel Wing!”

The sluggish movements from Rhyperior that outstandingly looked as if they derived from the bright rhythmic horn that was supposedly the cause for Rhyperior to unbalance itself considerably, alerted the Pokémon while it casually drifted along invisible currents, ruffling the glossy feathers a smidgen from the gradual vector of descent it had begun. His opposition was almost beneath him, so he started to swerve to the right and to the left in some sort of confusion tactic. His hopes of challenging the capacities of Rhyperior’s brain and undermining any pre conceptions the Pokémon may have come to for defence ploys were working. Before long he had surpassed Rhyperior’s point and entered into a graceful u-turn, using one silvery tipped wing as a pivot.

“Rhyperior, look out from behind you, try and…” Roxanne experienced the blundering curse of sure fire sentence stops, by her plans and next steps being smashed by what was commonly, an opposing attack, “Ugh, Rhyperior – sorry about that, I should have factored that in, looks like we’re going to have to draw them in to get a close attack, so how about another Rock Wrecker?”

A sediment of horror sliced Max’s usual joyous look for the infinite moment this match, as the looming scare of yet another serious blow had been entered into the fray… again. His mouth began to move to let rip a set of commands, but as the dripping surge of sweat accumulating on his uppermost lip suggested, his tongue was fumbling around with the words. Luckily for him, Murkrow had encountered quite a few occasions when instinct and quick reactions were inevitable and therefore Max yet again lost the pedals of control and his Pokémon was running the show.

Murkrow opened a small crack in its beak, seeping the shadow energy into a compact structure for another barrage of Shadow Balls, this time consecutive and aimed at one precise place, the jewel like plating growing from the rocky torso. As Max had stated earlier, uttering indeed needed and accurate words, their speed was going to play the advantage and aide them willingly. This had become evident with the fully formed Shadow Ball waging against the half created span of the boulder, easily dodged with a manoeuvrable roll. With a bright chance that was clearly irresistible and the fact that the rock element was still being transferred through the holes in Rhyperior’s palms, the raining shower of shadow matter began.

Because of the vast weight that fastened Rhyperior in one position, added of course by the enormous creation being born in the centre of its hands, the rock type had no chance to utilise the mallet shaped tail that’s speciality was as a protection device. No matter how fun it would’ve been to watch the tail play baseball with the obtrusive daemon substances raring to spill their ghastly hibernated pain, Rhyperior just wasn’t prepared.

The impact of the splitting eerie balls repeatedly colliding with the gem like tablets was so strong that it toppled the giant of a Pokémon and prematurely released the minefield of hardened earth at an unknown angle and direction, luckily one that avoided any chance of having contact with a living creature in the Gym Hall. The onslaught of hailing hurt concluded after that brief scare, but Murkrow had successfully sent a round of roughly fifteen Shadow Balls to force their might against the unwieldy stature and bring the being to the ground, stopping its control of the situation momentarily.

“No,” was the simplistic remark exploding from Roxanne’s shaky lips, “This battle has been one shock after another… Max, you’ve managed to combat just about anything I’ve thrown at you, and I know that this one tactic didn’t happen to be your idea, but still - friends normally follow trends set by other members of that friendship circles, meaning just about everything derives from you.” Her posture seemed to stiffen and tremble from the odd mixture of emotions bubbling about her body: that of anger yet admiration blending to form a misshaped cake. Max thought it best to provide some sort of console.

“To be absolutely fair to my Pokémon… and you, we’ve spent much of our time around you, learning from you, being taught by you so I presume that all our ideas somehow come from you then. And to be honest, they basically set all this up, think back to earlier with Charmander’s seemingly ineffective Screech.

“I’m just guessing from sources of information I’ve read, but if I remember correctly Screech can have two properties, one being the noticeable attack, known as primary but also a secondary occurrence, such as the Dragon Breath having a residual impact on Charmander causing the paralysation that previously hindered it. So, putting all that together, Rhyperior’s defences were probably lowered mentally by slowing down his aptitude to react and thus having a physical affect on the Pokémon.”

Brock, who had up to now decided to watch a rather entertaining battle unfold, thought it best that he add in some guidance of his own; although what Max had said had been pretty accurate; Brock liked to thing that it had something to do with the amount of time they had spent travelling.

“The boy is right Roxanne, I did actually question whether Charmander had somehow done this by the damage caused by his Iron Tail, and it seems I was correct, you really do have a struggle on your hands,” Brock interjected with a serious fixed state; quite like a robotic computer birthed only to provide information, “But with that knowledge you now know the extent of Max’s prowess.”

“I’m not going to ever dispute that again Brock, I truly have underestimated Max’s ability to perform, and the fact he noted the residual Screech effect when I didn’t is all the proof I need.”

“Kind regards are taken in Roxanne, but I’m not here to chat – Murkrow it’s now time for one last sweep of your Steel Wing while Rhyperior is still weak from your Shadow Ball… go!”

By the appearance of solemn acceptance slowly becoming visible in Roxanne, Harriet assumed that the Gym Leader had already acknowledged defeat and was preparing for the end of a heated and exuberant encounter. Roxanne still showed the mature signs of a smile though, presumably because Max had been accompanying her for so long. It was time to experience what parents did and let go of the fun burden of caring and shielding.

Her hand delicately twizzled a rigid curl that had unfolded from the neatly tied bun, leaving her fixated eyes on the oncoming fairytale like Pokémon, readying itself to deliver the final blow to her newest capture. It too seemed okay to face defeat.

The fortified glistening wings only grazed past Rhyperior, but contained enough power to effortlessly fling the bulk callously into the wall; the same one that had been on the receiving end of numerous meetings already today. Once the Pokémon peeled off, keeling over onto the floor as if it were some comfy bed, the scorch marks of the day’s pains were notably visible as small crumbs of rock were still plunging out.

“Rhyperior is unable to battle, Max and Murkrow are the victors and the Gym Win goes to the challenger!”

The three bodies that were closely perched on the edges of their seats leapt up with pure excitement, slamming their hands together in robustious applause. The amount of emotions stored inside gurgled out in an impressive way, while their clunky shoes echoed thumping beats on the polished wood. Harriet seemed the most boisterous among them, beaming her fulfilled amazement onto Max, “You did it Max! You did it!”

“Ha,” he snorted, “I really did! I’ve just won!”

Max clasped the tight spherical orbs upon his belt instantaneously, giving no thought to anything but the creatures that had cemented his win. The flashes then emerged one by one with the worn out Pokémon only moments behind, them too basking in an instant of happiness, “We’ve won guys, we’ve won! Thank you so much for all your hard work and I promise I won’t make it this difficult again… Thank You!

A faint red glow shimmered into the corner of Max’s eyes accompanied with the monotone appearance of soft glistening particles; the light then retracted back the way it came. He looked up and thankfully grinned at the fairly young, suited up lady approaching while slipping a PokeBall into a cut out pocket on the frilly cloth of the navy skirt.

“Max, now where do I begin? I truly have seen remarkable accomplishment in your progression from the young naďve trainer to what you are today, and it didn’t take you long to accept the truth of what it meant to be a Pokémon trainer…” her tanned blush caused her to halt in her praises, “I think that’s all I’m going to muster to say besides this: you are awarded a certified league badge from the City of Rustboro, the Stone Badge to anyone else.”

She thrust the shiny arrow shaped emblem into the secure warmth of Max’s palm, adequately planting her assistance forever into him with the declaration of the badge. He could only look at her with honour and gratitude, as any slight noise would spill the happiest of tears down his flushed cheeks, and anymore face movement would probably result in the same action. It was simpler and more peaceful to take consolidation in the tough win, setting him up for future glory across Hoenn.

As the reddish rays of voluptuous sweetness kissed the lonely shores of Rustboro’s beach, the residing waves longingly hugged the beach and the sandy earth halted with the distillation of the wind that no longer seeped a breath of coldness. In the centre of this usual mirage, a huddle of delight was noticeable over the hazy murk of the dispersing spring warmth. This memorable scene was something normally digitally mastered by travel companies as tokens to sell brochures but something was indeed blessing the group with goodwill and they were having the most tremendous time.

A few small creatures bounded past the heating stack that poured out tender smells of the manufactured product known as meat, dripping with the oily juices that only made temptation lust further. But the partying, enjoyment and dancing would continue for hours to come as celebration to an achievement and victory. Max was no longer bound by thoughts of ranking as inferior in knowledge and was free to be handed a few pieces of the wheel to his future, expanding his horizons and dreams through exploration. This however came at a price for Roxanne, being given the old dutiful restrictions a Gym Leader takes on, but now she always had a helper and dear friend to rely on whenever she needed it, that of the old Rock Leader Brock. He had been deeply touched by the day’s encounter of overcoming bridges and rectifying friendships that had truly flourished from the unlikeliest of places, and was sure that the four youngsters singing their hearts out in front of him had delightful destinies ahead in whatever branch of Pokémon they entrusted themselves to follow. Life was ever bright and ever beautiful!

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast