Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Max's Hoenn Journey

Whew, that was a fierce battle. Nice job with the details and the intense aura of the match! I loved how you tied Brock in, especially with Croagunk, one of my favorite parts of the anime. Can't wait to read the next chapter!

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one386 View Post
    Whew, that was a fierce battle. Nice job with the details and the intense aura of the match! I loved how you tied Brock in, especially with Croagunk, one of my favorite parts of the anime. Can't wait to read the next chapter!
    Hey Chosen, thank you for reviewing. I'm pleased about your first comment because I think I've read this chapter probably about 20 times roughly and the details and flow of the battle were known for me from the start and so I got bored by reading it and didn't really know how well it was going to be percieved because I had lost the intensity. I've been wanting to tie Brock in for a while, my main goal was to bring back all of Max's travelling companions or old aquaintances to sort of have a send off or growth in him with each encounter as he became more of an independant trainer. And the connection with Brock and Roxanne hit me alsmost straight away when I was thinking for a story arc.

Overal thank you and starting from the next chapter the fun in Rustboro all begins to kick in!

Most Recent Chapter - Chapter 31: Don't Forget Me - Posted 26/01/13
    Credits to Sweet May and DanChimchar

I will pursue You, I will pursue Your presence

Quote Originally Posted by harryheart View Post
    Hey Chosen, thank you for reviewing. I'm pleased about your first comment because I think I've read this chapter probably about 20 times roughly and the details and flow of the battle were known for me from the start and so I got bored by reading it and didn't really know how well it was going to be percieved because I had lost the intensity. I've been wanting to tie Brock in for a while, my main goal was to bring back all of Max's travelling companions or old aquaintances to sort of have a send off or growth in him with each encounter as he became more of an independant trainer. And the connection with Brock and Roxanne hit me alsmost straight away when I was thinking for a story arc.

Overal thank you and starting from the next chapter the fun in Rustboro all begins to kick in!
    I'm interested in seeing how his other companions will factor into this. Of course, I assume May is going to show up one time or another. I hope to see Brock again, though.

Yay! Unfortunately, in your fic Teams Magma and Aqua are gone, so it wouldn't be the kind of fun I was expecting. >_>

I'm interested in seeing how his other companions will factor into this. Of course, I assume May is going to show up one time or another. I hope to see Brock again, though.

Yay! Unfortunately, in your fic Teams Magma and Aqua are gone, so it wouldn't be the kind of fun I was expecting. >_>
    Yea you're right about May, she'll most likely be classed as a recurring character compared to Ash and Brock and even a few others. But with May's appearance already I've decided to let her travel a little befreo saying hey again lol.

And oui there aint Magma or Aqua because they were disabbandened however you have the people that captured Max, and were seen capturing another boy who lost his mind so we'll have to wait and see what they're up to! All in all something is about to happen lol.

Yea you're right about May, she'll most likely be classed as a recurring character compared to Ash and Brock and even a few others. But with May's appearance already I've decided to let her travel a little befreo saying hey again lol.

And oui there aint Magma or Aqua because they were disabbandened however you have the people that captured Max, and were seen capturing another boy who lost his mind so we'll have to wait and see what they're up to! All in all something is about to happen lol.
    Where is she traveling? Didn't she just finish the Jhoto Grand Festival?

Yeah, I'm disappointed that the two teams have faded away, but the possibility of other villains is always interesting.

Hey, I'm finally caught up with your most recent chapter! Rather than review each individual chapter like I've been doing, I'll just review chapters 13-21 as a whole.

Wow! I just love everything. The catching of Murkrow, the borrowing of Shuppet and how it made Max grow as a trainer. The contest and the characterization of Harriet and Curtis. The intense battle with Roxanne. Everything is just great. Description, battle scenes, character development, just wonderful. I really can't say anything negative about any of these chapters. Well done!

10/10!

New Chapter: Chapter 4- Unova

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Creature of Storms
    Also check out my completed crossover of Pokemon and Pirates by clicking the title!

"Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."
    Ephesians 6:17

Where is she traveling? Didn't she just finish the Jhoto Grand Festival?

Yeah, I'm disappointed that the two teams have faded away, but the possibility of other villains is always interesting.
    Well I haven't really specified because I can't actually think of anything yet but I would presume she'd be planning to go to Sinnoh because that's the only other one besides Isshu and I don't want to thrust her into that yet. I look forward for incorportating this in though!

Quote Originally Posted by ESPNfanatic35 View Post
    Wow! I just love everything. The catching of Murkrow, the borrowing of Shuppet and how it made Max grow as a trainer. The contest and the characterization of Harriet and Curtis. The intense battle with Roxanne. Everything is just great. Description, battle scenes, character development, just wonderful. I really can't say anything negative about any of these chapters. Well done!

10/10!
    Hey ESPN thanks for the review. I'm glad you loved the plot developments that occured there because this is when I really managed to fall into my 'prime' as such of plot developments and description and really was thinking of working upon the characters as a whole and push them in new directions.
    I'm hoping for these next couple of chapters to work on longerterm ideas and concepts that will continue to play out through the whole journey mostly, and on top of that I'd like to work on arc ideals.

Anyway Chapter 22 will be up by the end of August and I'm sorry for the delays this summer hsa brought because I loved getting back into my writing of this fic and it's slightly faded because I've done other things over summer. Now though I should have a little more time to get back into it, hopefully!

Anyway Chapter 22 will be up by the end of August and I'm sorry for the delays this summer hsa brought because I loved getting back into my writing of this fic and it's slightly faded because I've done other things over summer. Now though I should have a little more time to get back into it, hopefully!
    No need to be sorry! Glad you'll have more time now, though. Keep up the good work!

Also check out my completed crossover of Pokemon and Pirates by clicking the title!

"Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."

Another great chapter, i loved the gym battle.

It was nice to see Brock make an appearance, and Max's Pokemon are getting to be a good team.

Credit to Mr. Joker for the Glee banner
    Credit to Skiyomi for the lovely Blue Snover banner

If anyone is interested in a custom ribbon for your profile pic, be sure to check out Ayra's sprite thread in the fanart section, if you want to take a look at her work have a look at my profile.

Wow, Max's team is not even fully evolved yet but their beast anyway!

No need to be sorry! Glad you'll have more time now, though. Keep up the good work!
    Thank you for your comments, I'm just adding the last few touches and it'll be up shortly so check back!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Snover View Post
    Another great chapter, i loved the gym battle.

It was nice to see Brock make an appearance, and Max's Pokemon are getting to be a good team.
    Thank you for the Brock comment, I've really wanted to just develop him however I felt that I lacked that however now I've included him as a somewhat important figure I can touch on that and generally improve his character. Max's team are beginning to find their strengths and Murkrow was a powerhouse anyway so I'm liking Max's ways of handling and coping!

Quote Originally Posted by sonicthepikachu85 View Post
    Wow, Max's team is not even fully evolved yet but their beast anyway!
    Thanks I think lol, I'm trying to adapt an anime approach on this one that Pokemon don't need to be evolved to be able to pack a punch, it helps obviously but isn't necessary. What Chapter have you read up to?

Check back later and I'll have the Chapter up!

Default Chapter 22

Hey everyone. It's been over 2 months since I said I'd have a chapter for you and that I'm afraid is a disgrace. But nevertheless here it is! I'm also afriad that this has a lot of stuff going on but if I made them standalone then the chapters would be short and not very well developed. I also must say I'm not sure on my writing style in this chapter as I've tried to be different and vary it up to see if it works so I do ask for reviews on that fact, whether you like the different varieties there. Anyway enjoy!

As per usual, for you - Max's Hoenn Journey Intro 2 - made by DanChimchar and is just a bit of fun : )

Chapter 22: Like a Burmy to a Flame

A flustering breeze entered through the wide opened window, pushing its way past the plain coloured curtains that trapped most of the streaming light filtering in. The view that was now visible was not the same as the previous mornings, for the four young companions had moved into the luscious, spacious and indulgent quarters that Roxanne hosted in her luxuriously wooden home; an atmosphere of history running deeply throughout the beams of the building. In a contrary to the historic feel, the new beginnings that had been revealed over their stay in Rustboro had led them on new paths or slightly altered their original routes and methods. Training techniques, opportunities of winning, unique styles; all these had to be changed or adapted due to these occurrences, but even though hard work lay afoot the fresh and distinct feeling was a welcome and pleasurable high.

Max had stirred the minute the bursting light emitted through the transparent glass that acted as a barrier of protection for any inhabitant inside the building. He was flowing with exuberant happiness over his very tight victory against Roxanne the day before, which saw him pull momentous strategies and some instinctive signature moves against the resistant rock types. And he had succeeded, barely… But now the road of Hoenn was left afloat for him and he had been pushed into the glaring fore front of it all by his part time fellow traveller. Alone, now slipping into his own comfortable shoes, he was about to embark on what was a completely new journey – or so he thought. This idea had kept him up all night, pondering over the delicate enquiries of this new prospect until the burden of tiredness overwhelmed him, but the sun had other plans and brought him too again with its initial blinking light. Max could only dream for sleep.

The cosy blankets that neatly rested against Max’s body were quickly discarded to one end of the bed. His wooden sanctuary was tucked neatly into far corner of the large wooden room that was resembled in the image of a deluxe 18th century master bedroom. On the opposite side of the room to him lay a separate door that led into an en suite bathroom, fitted with the most stupendous and ravishing bath decor he could possibly imagine. The walls were coated in swish shades of blue, dotted here and there with mirrors to reflect the elegant image of the onlooker. The shower, as he thought, could’ve room to fit everyone staying in the house at this moment and even then everyone would have ample and equal space. Gym Leaders lives seemed… magnificent.

He passed by the other three beds that had their own adolescent lumps piled into the snug sheets quite cautiously, for he feared waking the two beauties from their sleep and invoking a form of female anger, and if he were to wake Curtis then all he’d hear would be ‘Harriet this, Harriet that’ and he certainly wasn’t ready for that torment so early in the morning. Peace and tranquillity was what he sort at this precise time.

The bathroom’s aroma was buzzing with flowery scents whose atoms mingled in the tepid air forming new and exquisite perfumes that were a mere reminder of the world’s majesty. Roxanne was very clever with her orientation of house objects and items, and the same went with her bathroom furnishings and popery. At some point during her free time she had obviously toiled with the different smells produced by the different arrangements and come to a conclusive decision on which fragrance was going to accompany her fabulously royal sea bathrooms and be a delighting gift for any lodger.

He was eager to hop straight into the longing shower with its widespread head poised to send a gushing flow of soothing water all over his body and serenely remove any hostile emotions and thoughts, sending Max into a dazed and high state.

He slowly sauntered over to the cubicle in which he would be engulfed with relaxation and hastily jumped into the movements of removing his night garments, which then quickly piled up rather untidily in a small heap against one corner of the expansive bathroom. He didn’t seem to mind the messy nature he was in and followed one act with another, leaving what was a folded towel hunched by the shower exit and rather haphazardly laying out a water mat for which he would emerge onto. Max was most dedicated on receiving his well deserved shower…

Once inside the roomy shower he hurriedly twisted the water knob and sent a torrential flow of tepid water over his body, immediately cocking his head backwards and basking in its soothing skills. The warm raining water was his home of residence for the now, and he would make that last for as long as he could.

A faint whistling of numerous hoots entered the soft void of Harriet’s dreams, merging her conscious mind into her subconscious, only briefly, with the addition of rabid creatures that were bleating a somewhat generic alarm noise at her as she stood on the number one podium at the Hoenn Grand Festival. It wasn’t then long before she was propelled out into the real world to realise that those odd noises emanating from the beings were in fact Pokémon sounds.

Her eyes swelled up with a surge of early morning tears, only produced from sheer tiredness coursing through her body and the additional tint of blinding sunlight. Harriet brushed them out of her eyesight before following the trend of Max and making an initial act of checking the other beds to see what young lumps still lay peacefully tucked under their bedding and which faces were content with budding dreams. To her dismay she noticed that she wasn’t the first of the four youngsters to awaken, and that Max, the ever budding trainer, had successfully beaten her to it. Although for some reason this pained her, a slight smirk materialized on her lips as she remembered her victory over Max in the Pokémon Contest, and she deemed that more of a triumph.

She firmly sat upright in her bed as she grabbed a copy of a local teenage magazine, fully expecting that the bathroom were to be occupied by a certain early riser, but as usual she was meticulous about matters and so gave a slight glance over in the direction of the door. The instantaneous look of puzzlement and horror was slapped predominantly on her untouched face, causing her to switch her gaze to that of her PokéGear and blink with the same complexion of confusion. Harriet, a child normally filled with serene calmness felt that something was utterly wrong.

Roxanne, herself an early riser on regular occasions, ambled down her varnished mahogany stairs with the furry fabric of her unworn white fluffy dressing gown trailing behind her. She was most ecstatic to be back in the safe comforts of her Gym and home, ready to face the predictable challenges of being a Gym Leader and amidst all those trainers that she would inevitably face could be another shining character just like Max who was eager to tackle any opposing force that stood in his way. Yes, she was filled with a solemn remorse about leaving Max to travel singlehandedly, however, as had been proven to her on countless occasions he was capable of facing adversity and now had three other young Pokémon handlers there to chivvy him along if he derailed from his given track. She was though slightly sickened by the thought of abandoning him, and giving up the compelling and invigorating passions of travelling.

Set back into autopilot mode, she cornered the door frame and briskly entered into the spacious kitchen that seemed cleaner than when she left, obviously the talented work of Brock’s hand. In the centre, surrounded by hoards of delicately handcrafted oak chairs that also glistened with a coating of dark brown varnish was an antique chunky table ornate with pristine silverware and a bouquet of summer flowers poised in the middle. The only thing that was mildly odd about the scene in front of her was the additional figure of Max crumpled in a contemplating pose and slumped over the shining surface. The deep thinking features etched into his face were a worrying sight for anyone because he wasn’t known for his analytical moods, in fact having him sitting there immaculately cleaned and dressed at seven am was in itself a remarkable fact.

Her rampant bewildered thoughts were quickly shattered by the hard and concrete foot patterns that were creaking through the upstairs floor, yet these didn’t seem to stir any response in Max, he was too far gone into the deep realms of his thoughts. With her fast tuned in eyes she followed the clunking sounds as they made their way across the refurbished landing that had recently been decorated with priceless ancestral art and exotic potted plants that were dotted amongst the many twists and turns of the first floor; it could’ve easily been classed as a maze with the odd door here and there just to misguide the intrepid explorers. Soon though, after what sounded like a few wrong turns and backtracks, the noises began to make their way down the stairs, itself now accustomed to fame with the new grand and posh red carpet that was strewn down the endless flight of steps.

“Max? Max, where the hell are you? Max…” Even before a recognisable face emerged around the doorway Roxanne could tell who owned the bubbly and frantic voice that seemed to drown out any peaceful cries from Pokémon or the whistling rustle of the wind that managed to creep in through the windows.

“Oh, Roxanne, funny to meet you here, I’m looking for…” Harriet’s quire fire stutters almost immediately faded away when she noticed the image of Max papered with an intellectual expression, a side she had never been privy to witness, “Sorry Roxanne, but it looks like I’ve found what I was searching for… We’ll be right back.” With that, she sped over to Max, hoisting her hand around his collar and practically lifting him from his seat that he seemed at peace and comfort in. Within a matter of seconds he and Harriet had vanished through a traditional patterned door that swiftly closed behind them, as if set on automatic, giving it some time to resettle after the brisk encounter with young buoyancy. Roxanne however hadn’t been given a chance to change her facial composure and looked more stunned than she had initially been, resorting to a slow acknowledging shake of the head and a slight chuckle to quench a few nerves that had been aroused.

“I’ll have you know, I don’t see how it’s funny to meet me here, and after all I believe I do own this kitchen…” she delicately muttered being casual about her tone and stating it merely for the pure pleasure of stealing another silent chuckle. In the midst of a hefty giggle she briefly turned to face the closed doors through which the intrepid duo had fled, pondering for a moment over the circumstances that led them there… But she knew that her role of a constant supporter was now huddled over to the sidelines and that these other youngsters would begin to take over her job, and it was best to let them begin straight away.

The contemporary coloured room was dimly lit by the sunlight reflecting the elegance of the white flowery pattern papered onto the fabrics in the window. The normally tranquil backroom, home to formal and relaxed discussions, was rudely invaded with hostility and anxious babble, emanating from both Harriet and Max’s mouths as they uneasily argued away.

“You’ve got to tell me Max, come on! What harm can come of it?” Harriet pleaded inviting her solemn and innocent face to mask her fears, hoping it would drive something out of him, “Max… we’ve known each other for a few months now and have become good friends, or so I think, so surely you understand that you can trust me – I’m here for you.”

“Harriet, it’s not that simple… look…”

“No you look mister, can’t you see that I know you Max, I know your routine and so on after only a few months, doesn’t that show you anything?” Her same pleading look engaged an emotional gulp from Max, grudgingly invoking a painful twist of the stomach, “And that’s how I know that something’s really bugging you - now don’t tell me that it’s not simple!”

“Harriet – I don’t really know what to say; besides you’d find it wimpish anyway!”

“Max, nothing is going to change my opinion of you, seriously - gosh darn it, can’t you see I’m just being your friend here, no ulterior motive, no nothing! I just want to help…” she ferociously stated whilst slamming her fist down on the black marble coffee table that was the centre ornament of the room, and quite proudly blended into the colour scheme of the walls and furniture.

Max felt a building rage inside of him for Harriet knew exactly which buttons to press, and this… this just irritated him for it meant her statements were then obviously just and truthful leaving him with no reasons to back down. Somehow he had to extinguish the angst and fruitfully expel the anger without leaving scorch marks on his friendship, for this was what he truly needed and was partially woven into his mind boggling problem.

His eyes fixed upon a creamy patch of the furry carpet that tickled the feet underfoot; he felt that glaring at an inanimate object would cause no harm and allow his rage to travel through the fierce look and then fade away.

“Okay, well…” he sighed, puffing out his cheeks a little as if in a theatrical act, “I suppose Rustboro is the problem really, looking at it all in a big picture. Since basically the start of my travels after meeting Roxanne, I’ve known that this day was going to happen - where I will continue onwards and Roxanne would stay behind manning her Gym once again, but… I suppose I never expected it to be such a life changing decision.”

Harriet’s face dropped a little as she reflected upon the amiable bond between Roxanne and Max, and how although practically a short period of time had passed they had experienced more than most people would dare to in a year. Through that, a reliability and trust would have been created, and in some sense a dependency on each other. No matter what they always had each other’s back and that meant a great deal to the both of them, she knew this was indeed the case with Roxanne just by watching her mood and behaviour over the recent days and her willingness to overcome Max in the battle to obviously keep him around for a longer stay, and now it also seemed to be the same deal for Max. The two trainers had grown accustomed to the other and a built up connection now seemed as if it was going to be broken by one act.

“Max, I… I don’t know what to say – I guess the only thing I can say is… is that I’ll always be here no matter what, maybe not constantly but I know we’ll always keep meeting along the road…” Her voice trailed off into the shadows of her mouth, the speech being eaten up as her will to comfort seemed to dissipate and a lack of words began to conquer. Ideas solely concocted in the head always appeared to be better before being implemented!

“It’s okay Harriet, as I said I knew this was coming up but its hit me harder than I expected,” his depression was very evident in his tone and shone like a beacon through his choice of words, but there was still some sort of flicker of hope in his eyes that hadn’t yet succumbed to the pressure of sadness, “Actually though, I suppose travelling on my own for a little while will be quite a something and will also give me chances to become more independent than before, but yea – I’m going to miss my early travelling days!”

“That’s perfectly acceptable Max…” Harriet remarked slumping into the cosy sofa right next to Max, yielding to her own thoughts and ideas that began to whiz around her brain, hanging onto some thought that left her slightly blushed and flustered, but luckily for her Max was engrossed in his own thinking. She turned her head towards the incoming light, mulling over the cross fire words that were exchanged as they both awaited the morning rush that was about to ensue… in the form of a mass stampede for breakfast.

The delicate kitchen table now had spewed out cutlery and dishes laden with crumbs and coloured runny residue symbolic of the feasting that had occurred. Grubby paws were wearily finishing off any last piece of morsel that they could reach or that had somehow slipped through the ritual eating, slowly and decisively wearing down the fast paced action.

“Well I best get back to the Gym today to prepare myself for the journey home later this week,” the squinting Kanto Gym leader mentioned as his hovering friend, often confused with a gigantic lump of rock, whisked Brock’s utensils and used dishes over to the foaming sink, “And maybe to get surprised by a number of budding challengers, although I doubt any can compare to how well you performed yesterday Max!”

“Thanks Brock, I forgot how much your compliments were motivational, seems like a lot has changed since last time then! But remember to give your love to your family if I don’t see you before you leave!”

“Certainly will young man.”

A red headed teenage boy, dressed in the most remarkable electric blue attire that somehow elegantly suited the style and colourings of his hair, leaned back in his chair gaping one huge sigh of content, “Ah, this just goes to show the positivity this city has to offer! Bonds really grow here, whether through the Contests or Gym Battles, it’s still one in the same… now hasn’t Rustboro just been the most inviting City yet! And the food, where do I begin… Wow, I definitely want to come back here!”

“And you’d be most welcome back here at any point,” Roxanne eagerly smiled, suiting the shining look that was all over her face, “And that goes for all of you, you’re all brilliant young trainers with bright futures ahead of you and I’d love to keep in contact with your progress.”

Max looked up from his grainy plate, plastered with red stains and toasted crumbs signifying the indulgent meal he had recently scoffed. His eyes made contact with the opposing but gentle stare of Roxanne, who through the meek yet humble camouflage of her complexion portrayed sorrow and angst at him leaving, begging for their travelling union to stay stable even though it was hopeless.

An approving and empathetic silence whisked into action, sitting harmlessly on all their shoulders as they embraced the prospect of future, even if they felt they were clutching the last few specks of hope. Max was wholeheartedly angst with a terrible throw of solemn sadness but couldn’t find any form of energy to express it. Everything for him seemed on the verge of collapsing in on itself, especially now he knew what would soon follow in the conversation at hand.

“So, I suppose looking on at the future seems like quite a remarkable and exciting thing, building on your anticipation of future careers and paths, future goals and achievements, am I right?” Roxanne offhandedly remarked.

“Indeed that is so,” Curtis quickly responded, suddenly enthused with the accessible energy from his hefty breakfast that no longer held him captive like a beasty lump in his chair, “I mean, Rose and I have the same conflicting goal to top one another in the realms of Contests, however through our rivalry we’ve been able to form a partnership and have now decided that we’re going to travel with each other to each new destination no matter what is ahead… and that’s a future full of unknown Pokémon secrets, whatever they may be!” Curtis quick fired, and at such a pace that clearly showed the excitement that had begun to brew inside his courageous heart. Their new purple haired companion nodded with a breaking joy, not wishing to say much because she was content enough with the delicacies she had just consumed.

“Wow, now I like the sound of that, especially considering that you yourself mentioned that the both of you have conflicting interests in a way, even though again as you have stated you follow the same paths! The whole topic of far off plans plunges us in deep and theoretical realms and possibilities, and taking whatever is readily available is a great start to deliverance from set structures and set ways,” Roxanne ecstatically stated, with the subtle undertone of ongoing hints directed at a certain sluggish creature slumped over a chair, or so it seemed.

Harriet, as per usual thanks to her bubbly and energetic nature, felt the rush and surge of an electric new vision after the mature members’ comments, a future full of brisk yet secure uncertainty. This was indeed a thrill that for her was going to be unmistakably hard to not try and emulate or collaborate with in whatever way she could.

“Harriet?” Curtis questioned while his mouth had the attached grin of achievement papered all over it, as the not so restrained actions of Harriet caught everyone’s attentions, “Something on your mind?”

“Do you really need me to state that Curtis?” She laughingly joked, filled with her usual romantic blush whenever the remarkable tones of Curtis’ voice echoed in her ear.

“Well I suppose not – so pre-empting that question of yours, if Rose agrees, as I’m sure she will,” he calmly said, giving his own subtle look towards Max, and then the required plead towards Rose, “We’d be happy to have you around!”

The unnerving, yet oddly peaceful silence ensued Curtis’ last remark, with a very clear agreement to differ apparent on a certain someone’s face. Harriet, although over the moon with the chance at such a personal and career enhancing offer, had the nagging and unquestionable factor of Max left with sickening tendencies in her thoughts. Though, before she could deliver the harsh blow of reality to Curtis and his offer, the ticking time bomb on her right finally blew. A normally celebrated and relaxed morning was slowly slipping into the routine soap drama, and their unpredictability was also merging into this present situation.

“No, No, No, No, No, No, No!” Max’s noticeable anger droned, knocking everyone aback with his sheer cold hearted reaction that had inevitably caused the absence of the usual cheerful flowing nature that often occupied him, “You can’t force her to do anything Curtis!”

Flabbergasted piercing eyes glared in Max’s direction as he uttered the ridiculous yet kind hearted and motivational words at Curtis, truly showing his support for his Coordinator aspiring friend with deep and caring utterances. He wasn’t ready to stand there and watch more friendships be ripped away, or so it seemed to Max.

“Don’t worry buddy, if Harriet does decline then that’s her decision, but on another note, don’t think we’d forget you. I was just about to propose the same thing to you, again if you wish to of course!”

Max, unfortunately rather taken aback to by what seemed to him unexpected opportunities, just slumped back into his chair with a fastening embarrassment becoming terribly obvious.

“Woh, Max come on now, we both know that times are going to be relatively odd after we all leave here but you can be reassured that whatever happens we will all stay in contact,” Harriet heatedly remarked, being swift in her own movements to quickly interject her own thoughts.

“Indeed young Harriet is correct,” Roxanne commented, still postured as normal, not noticeably fazed by the present vocal session commencing in her kitchen, “It is as we’ve just discussed everyone’s future, so as a due courtesy, Harriet should have the choice.”

With a female signalling of thanks masked by the grin referencing her ingenious ploy, Harriet altered her attention back towards the conflicting agendas, ready to deliver the boys a compulsory challenge.

“You guys know what? I think the best way to sort this out is with a Pokémon Battle, well wouldn’t you agree?” Harriet projected, “So now you’ve got one! The only difference will be that both Rose and I shall participate too, if that’s of course what she wants, considering we don’t jump to conclusions Max! Now, hopefully this shall allow you to release all that anger some other way!”

“I’d never decline an opportunity like that,” Rose, the seemingly quiet girl muttered softly, “And it’d certainly be good practice for my next Contest so you boys better not think it’s all about power!”

“Too right there, and never a moment too soon, so you boys ready?”

The group of raring teens seemed to have already placed their differences behind them at the sudden prospect of a Pokémon Battle, fleeing from the short and sweet scene of the entanglement to the majestic universal light of a mid morning sun, fleshing its’ rays upon a dusty and fashioned entrance conveniently placed to Roxanne’s Gym. Today however, it was acting as a Red Carpet to the delights of Rustoboro’s beach where the adolescents were about to commence in their final Rustboro showdown.

Letting go of a sharp and precise sigh, Roxanne clambered out of her elegantly designed chair, ready to face what had become an unspoken expectation. Before closing the door to what was usually a commonly undisturbed home, she uttered a few murmurs that resonated as, “Fine, I’ll referee again then…”

The brisk light danced like specks of glistening magic upon the fiery hot beach, already baking with intense heat from such a short time period of a penetrating sun. A calm sea retired behind them, rhythmically flowing to and fro like bursts of a roaring crowd. Everyone was psyched and pumped to prove to one another their real and true potential through the bond they all individually had with their trusted friendly partners.

Every member of the budding four raced into active positions against one another, with Max and Curtis immediately staring each other down, except now with the added touch of friendliness apparent. Rose and Harriet however, with yet no clear idea of which side to face off on, withdrew PokeBalls from their belt having already decided upon their choice.

“Okay then,” Roxanne said, after finally having caught up with the group on a tremendously fast paced run, “Harriet and Rose you’re partner will be decided on by the boys choosing… I know a tad unfair but it’s an easier way of going about things. So boys,” she decisively remarked, “Whoever calls upon their Pokémon first will be the first to decide upon their partner… Go!”

In an effortless race the two young adolescents produced a PokeBall within their hand in no time at all; the glimmering majesty of the capsules truly shining in the incredible beacon of light that had succulently fluttered upon them. Emerging from the twinned coloured balls, the great lights swivelled until the formation began and dispersed leaving the enticing body of the two Pokémon. Except however, the wings tinted an extremely dark navy blue were the first noticeable attributes to be seen over the light, and thus Max and Murkrow were the first ones, leaving them victorious.

“So Max, who would you like to be paired up with?”

The safe and comforting glint of passion returned quite rapidly to Max’s jade dyed eyes as his gaze connected with Rose before giving her an affirmed nod of agreement. “I’d like to be partnered with Rose please Roxanne!”

“Okay then, looks like our teams are sorted and without further ado… begin!”

The clambering of popping noises emanated in their ears for a brief session, as the two girls released their friends out into the field. The form of Harriet’s newly seen trusted Burmy appeared, extending its foremost appendage on the tip of its head into the brainstorming light; the coils unravelling as the flesh vigorously protruded the air, absorbing in the potential warming energy that the light seemed to radiate. On Rose’s side appeared a Pokémon that Max knew quite intimately from his travels with Ash. He knew the ins and outs of its routine rituals, the specifics of its potential moves and its blatant prospective power. The red bellied green monster arrogantly grinned, fashioning a trademark leafy twig in-between its chops whilst scanning its local environment with its bulgy distinct yellow eyes. Treecko was ready!

“Treecko, I think we’ll deliver the first blow! Quick Attack on Burmy, go!”

Rose’s command didn’t have to linger long in the airwaves before Treecko entered off the bat and raced at immense speeds towards the horrified looking Burmy; its green coloured fur blurring and blending into the images around it.

“Burmy, quickly use Protect!”

Burmy squeezed its body tight with force, before an envelope of shimmering and flexing blue light formed around Turtwig and itself, looking remarkably like a seasonal snow globe. Treecko had no time or reasoning left to engage in any sort of manoeuvrability away and plummeted straight into the statue of clear blue protection, almost immediately reflecting straight off with a fair amount of force.

A sense of smugness but also relaxation appeared over Harriet and Curtis, along with their Pokémon too; evident by the retracting gleaming barrier. Max and Rose on the other hand weren’t ready to take this setback as a sign of weakness, instead preferring to transfer it into a form of defence and attack through a variety of techniques used to cover a retreat.

“Murkrow, go in and catch Treecko whilst letting off a haze to cover your tracks!”

“Treecko, fire an array of Bullet Seeds towards the target,” Rose commanded with a resonating cry the minute Max’s Pokémon soared into action with an elegant breeze.

As Murkrow gained in on Treecko, preparing to neatly and sufficiently retrieve its ally, it shot out a blast of Haze that began to creepily extend across the beach, plummeting them all into complete darkness. The only distinct light noticeable was a faint flicker of green blurs that had begun to erupt through the thick dark mist that surrounded them.

Harriet cautiously scanned the surrounding area, tuning her ears into a device, which could note a quick and sudden movement in the air, “Curtis, we’re going to have to go on a defensive stance here so stay close to Burmy because at any minute we may need to activate another Protect!”

Murkrow and Treecko, aware of the direction in which the sound had emerged, took an immediate u-turn in their directional heading, now facing directly towards the carrier of the sounds. Treecko now knew a precise area to aim towards, already beginning another rain of its green bullets. Two painful cries then sounded in the substantially deep fog; that of Burmy and Turtwig, most probably being impacted with a string of violent seeds. The team of Max and Rose had notably turned their luck around.

“Turtwig no, are you okay bud?” Curtis sympathetically urged, before hearing the reassuring sounds of his Pokémon calling out to him, “Okay then, well I think it’s time to get rid of this Haze… so blow it away with your Leaf Storm!”

As Turtwig’s back produced the radiant shine of the range of greens, whilst also spouting out numerous leaves into the surrounding area and forming the spiral that had begun to form a Tornado of blackened smoke, a sudden flash of illuminating white light throbbed in close proximity to the Pokémon.

Turtwig, resisting the temptation of the distraction, continued to unleash the onslaught that now had captured Murkrow and Treecko in the upward bound spiralling mass. Once he had stopped the production of more leaves, the tornado shaped object dispersed and let the Haze distil into the clear sky, while the leaves faintly glided back down. The two bodies of Pokémon however tumbled towards the ground; colliding with the sand at such force that a clear dent was visible under their bodies. However all eyes had turned to Burmy’s now encased body, filled with the elucidated brightness that seemed to wish to expand and break the moulds of its body. With what was like a gigantic push, Burmy’s shape slowly began to change, first levitating off the ground as its two previously rounded sides extended four new appendages whilst the predominant attachment on its head resided and two long elongated ears stretched out in its place. The light then quickly snapped off the body and smashed into tiny speckles of glistening material. Burmy was no longer there, instead in its place was an elegant and majestic flying creature which habited a new set of floral and jazzy colours.

Harriet’s face depicted a sure and defiant sense of astonishment but a very noticeable joyous look also shone through the gleaming smile that had become an accustomed look for her. “Wow, Bur… I mean, Mothim, you always manage to seek and amaze me at all moment eh!”

‘Moth, Mothim,” it chirped back with a jovial and enticing happiness.
    “Well I feel that it’s time we show the others your prowess wouldn’t you say? Deliver a finishing blow from your Hidden Power!”

Max and Rose knew that a fierce struggle was before them. Neither of their Pokémon was filled with a lot of energy, in fact the blast of Leaf Storm had severely knocked a great deal out of them and it was obvious they could barely stand. Now though that the looming golden energy that had erupted from Mothim’s body was on course, things weren’t looking terribly great.

“Murkrow and Treecko are unable to battle; the victory goes to Mothim and Turtwig!” Roxanne uttered.

The pair quickly clasped hands with a victorious relief, immediately embracing their partners who had successfully secured the win in little to no time.

“Mothim, thank you so much; I truly do know that many amazing things lye ahead of us mate, and your new enhancement, shall we say, will definitely come in handy… but remember this… no matter what you look like or what circumstances you’re in, I still love you!” She continued to embrace her Pokémon in the warmest fashion, whilst the loosing pair scooped their friends up and rapidly returned them into their PokeBalls, making sure though to add praise for the hard work they produced.

“Now wasn’t that just amazing everyone? I don’t think I’ve witnessed such power from a grass move on a flying type before and Burmy’s type deficiency didn’t hinder it at all,” Rose complimented, congratulating the winning two with a competitive handshake. “So… Harriet, you never did answer the question earlier on.”

Those words once again pierced the heart of Max as the dawning concession of travelling alone was nearly upon him, but although his heart was down something inside wished to cling onto the past. It was now or never!

“Harriet, before you make your decision, I just want to say that… well… if you wanted to, I’d be willing to travel with you… if that’s what you want of course.”

“Max, Rose, Curtis…I must say there is a true show of friendship here, I know of no other people who are this willing to offer support, but I’m afraid that I’m going to have to decline your proposal… Curtis,” as she mentioned the name her gaze fell upon his disappointment, although it was clear he understood why, “I’m not ready to travel with others who share my same goal, I first and foremost feel that if I want to become an independent and top Coordinator that I need to work on my own skills without absorbing others’ yet. You two both know what you’re doing, whereas I am still finding my right footing, so with great disappointment I do have to decline your offer.”

An unnerving silence emerged amongst the whistling of the sea breeze, and no-one knew what words were necessary to say, yet time was still ongoing and wasn’t waiting on them, Curtis knew this more than anyone.

“You most certainly have made your decision, and even though we’re not going to be spending a lot of time together, I can honestly say this… it’s not goodbye Harriet, in actual fact our adventures are just beginning.”

He turned back to his companion, taking her hand carefully before both Rose and he walked away from the beach, heading towards the bulky collection of buildings that led towards Rusturf Tunnel. Their footprints were being etched into the sand only for a temporary time as the world would eventually mould its perfection back onto the land, but the memories of all their encounters were permanently marked in the remaining three people’s minds. They were never going to forget Rustboro…
    Last edited by harryheart; 14th November 2010 at 4:10 PM.

This was totally worth the wait. A fantastic battle scene that was, and I still like your writing style, even if it does seem on the wordy side. Great job.

I second the great battle, plus the scene of Harriet waking up made me smile

This was totally worth the wait. A fantastic battle scene that was, and I still like your writing style, even if it does seem on the wordy side. Great job.
    Ah thanks Chosen! I did feel that the battle, although pivital in the evolution needed to be a little brief compared to others I have written and I'm glad that worked as I may keep to that sort of style a little bit more. And thanks for the comment on the style, I'm thinking of going through what I have of the next chapter and trying to cut bits out!

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingRuby View Post
    I second the great battle, plus the scene of Harriet waking up made me smile
    Thanks also FlamingRuby! And thanks for the comment on Harriet's scene too, I felt that to be quite a key moment when she realises that something is wrong with just a few small things showing her friendship with Max.

Thanks to the both of you

Default 9.99/10

Harryheart,
    In the last 5 days, I have read this entire Fanfic, up to the latest chapter, from chapter 1. I LOVE IT! Its a little cheesy in places, but any good story probably should be. Your grammar is a bit hard to understand in some places.
    I noticed that after ManaphyMan was your Beta for awhile, your writing improved greatly. I can also tell you did your best to clean up the first few chapters through editing. All in all, this Depiction of Max's own Pokčmon journey is GREAT. The way Max acts is logical for how his character was in the anime. He acts like any ten year old with his "Intelligence", who is begining to go through these experiences, yet with his own individual, special way. It also seems like you try to factor in the hormones anyone at this age might be starting to experience, through all the emotional upsets we see Max go through.
    The Pokčmon battles have been able to put me to sleep. But thats me, just being my trekie self. We trekies tend to be more into story than the action. When the action is the story, you lose us.(If you dont know what a trekie is, we are people that are into Star Trek, lol.)
    If you EVER need anyone to chat about ideas with, I would be glad to help.
    Keep on writing! I expect good things from this fanfic! I give it a 9.99 out of 10, a 9.99 for slight grammar errors.
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ambassador_JJ View Post
    Harryheart,
    In the last 5 days, I have read this entire Fanfic, up to the latest chapter, from chapter 1. I LOVE IT! Its a little cheesy in places, but any good story probably should be. Your grammar is a bit hard to understand in some places.
    Hi there JJ! I thank you very much for reading this, and reading it in that short space of time must've been quite tiring in places considering in some parts of the story not much is going on sometimes. And yes reading back some of the earlier stuff, I also have noticed the cheesy factor that some aspects have, and how to begin with it seemed very anime styled. But hoppefully I've been able to change that and also hopefully my grammar will improve from here on out! Thank you for letting me add a new reader to the list lol!

I noticed that after ManaphyMan was your Beta for awhile, your writing improved greatly. I can also tell you did your best to clean up the first few chapters through editing. All in all, this Depiction of Max's own Pokčmon journey is GREAT. The way Max acts is logical for how his character was in the anime. He acts like any ten year old with his "Intelligence", who is begining to go through these experiences, yet with his own individual, special way. It also seems like you try to factor in the hormones anyone at this age might be starting to experience, through all the emotional upsets we see Max go through.
    Yes I must agree MM managed to really turn my writing around and improve it for the better, as I was quite naive before then and he managed to add sense to my writing where before it seemed impossible. And yes I've tried to clean up the first 4 I believe and then 7-10 and for some reason missed out 5 and 6 lol! Hopefully though I'll get round to them, but I find it hard completely trying to revise them.

I've also as you pointed out tried to make him believable and unique whilst building on what the anime set up with him, and the hormones play quite a vital role as you clearly pointed out, especially in the latest chapters as his emotions are turned right the way around as he realises he may have to face the world alone! Luckily he's now got Harriet there to bring him through eh? lol So I'm looking forward to developing their relationship and really making them unique as well.

The Pokčmon battles have been able to put me to sleep. But thats me, just being my trekie self. We trekies tend to be more into story than the action. When the action is the story, you lose us.(If you dont know what a trekie is, we are people that are into Star Trek, lol.)
    Well thank you for saying that as it's useful to find out the best way to write them, so maybe it's time to stick to the battles similar to Chapter 22 keeping them short but precise apart from obviously gym battles and contests, as unfortunately there's not much I can do about that. Trekkies for the win though, I am too one of those kind!

Keep on writing! I expect good things from this fanfic! I give it a 9.99 out of 10, a 9.99 for slight grammar errors.
    I'm always open to listening to what readers have to say, and I have up to *goes and checks* chapter 55 plannes so hopefully I won't lag behind in writing and be slacky as I was this year and I hope that some good things begin to appear in the story as the characters and plot deepen!

Thank You

Well thank you for saying that as it's useful to find out the best way to write them, so maybe it's time to stick to the battles similar to Chapter 22 keeping them short but precise apart from obviously gym battles and contests, as unfortunately there's not much I can do about that.
    I never said the Battle scenes were bad! Keep it up!
    However, If I may make a suggestion, why not be more clear as to what runs through both the Trainer and the Pokemon's mind during battles. Remember, in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" there was always a bit time in a battle to discuss their next plan of action. I'm not saying have the trainer and Pokemon discuss what to do after every move, but show more of the logical thought processes they go through. Dont go crazy with it, but show us more of the person's/Pokemon's thoughts during a situation where they're really gonna have to think and be very resourceful.
    Do you see what I mean?(I ask this because the way i worded all that was a bit unusual! )
    JJ

Ah I see what you mean actually! This makes sense a bit now so hopefully in this next chapter I will be able to make the battle a bit better.

Hey, harryheart, I'm back and finally done with exams! I really liked this chapter, it said a lot about all of the characters and how they feel about each other. It seems like in your early chapters the events of the story were rushed but now you are really doing a great job in slowing down and building character development like in this chapter.

“Okay, well…” he sighed, puffing out his cheeks a little as if in a theatrical act, “I suppose Rustboro is the problem really, looking at it all in a big picture. Since basically the start of my travels after meeting Roxanne, I’ve known that this day was going to happen - where I will continue onwards and Roxanne would stay behind manning her Gym once again, but… I suppose I never expected it to be such a life changing decision.”
    My favorite character relaionship is between Roxanne and Max. She was the first one he met on his journey and she has a very sweet mother-like relationship with him. It was very sad in this chapter when Max thought of having to leave her.

Great battle scene too, by the way. Mothim ftw!

Hey, harryheart, I'm back and finally done with exams! I really liked this chapter, it said a lot about all of the characters and how they feel about each other. It seems like in your early chapters the events of the story were rushed but now you are really doing a great job in slowing down and building character development like in this chapter.
    Hey ESPN thanks for the review. It's always great to know what people think of the progression that the characters have made and the same applies to how I have developed and 'evolved' along the course of the story, the writing and etc. I hope that the characters relationships greatly improve from here on out and things will always be this in depth and diverse.

My favorite character relaionship is between Roxanne and Max. She was the first one he met on his journey and she has a very sweet mother-like relationship with him. It was very sad in this chapter when Max thought of having to leave her.
    Thank you, that means a lot. I firstly loosely based it on my mother in fact and then as she grew she became her own character different from my mother but I always feel that connection to her for that very reason. I must admit at one point it looked as if it would enter this 'God' and 'Human' relationship as Max entered his fearful stage in Petalburg but something made him pull it out the bag on his own accord. But yes Roxanne is literally everything to Max.

Great battle scene too, by the way. Mothim ftw!
    Haha thank you for that too, I love battles so much cos they're so intense and interesting to write. And yes, Mothim and first evolution of the series for the win!

hey what happend to max's journy it was a great story i liked to read more but the thread is old what happend to it harryheart?
    latiasluvr does not have much Friends to become her friend please click on this link below
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/member.php?u=152915
    to become my Friend click on this link below
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/member.php?u=143486

http://pokefarm.org/_ext/PFZT5FZi1
    click the link above to go to pokefarm and help my egg hatch bye
    wii email number is 8959 3407 1620 9244
    Pokémon Perl Friend code 0303 1780 5551

Quote Originally Posted by par0003 View Post
    hey what happend to max's journy it was a great story i liked to read more but the thread is old what happend to it harryheart?
    Hi there. Chapter 22 was posted a month ago, so it's not that old yet, and I will be posting the next chapter very shortly so do not panic. It will either be 31st December or 1st January that the new chapter goes up.

Default Chapter 23

Hey all, here's the next installment, and this time it's relatively on time. We're going to staseeing more character centred chapters from now on, well at least for the next few anyway as developments are really needed all round I believe, and the Pokemon are feeling a tad underloved as well, so luckily in the grand scheme of things I have these next few plot tiwsts to enchance them.

Like usual, the opening - Max's Hoenn Journey Intro 2 - made by DanChimchar and is just a bit of fun : )

And without further ado:

Chapter 23: A Devious Agenda of Sides

Roxanne watched a few particles of sand blow over the trail that was still fresh on the ground, and in their hearts. Although she herself felt that her part in the four young people’s growth had relatively little impact over the past couple of days, their development and motivational emphasis on life struck her hard and right in the core of her emotions. She was as sad as any to watch Curtis and Rose finally fade into the distance, one last moving wave to signal their departure. It was as if a lifetime had come to an end…

“Are you two okay?” Roxanne’s sensitive and emotional words floated in the breeze as they passed her lips, calmly satisfying the two young adolescents left with her on the beach, as the softness crept into their ears, “I’d just like to say that you two knew what was best and right for yourselves, and no matter how you feel right now, Curtis was right when he said this was just the beginning.”

Neither Max nor Harriet decided to respond to the words of deceitful comfort, but instead dwelled on the messages that had just been delivered to them. The words somewhat portrayed optimism, however they also knew that their own optimism was a long grasp away, still choosing to be just out of reach. The departure of true friendship was a hard burden to carry, more so when a flickering spark of trust began to ignite in the heart. Letting go of a firm and strong bond was, as Max thought, the most difficult decision one could face throughout the course of a lifetime on Earth.

“Well, that was a battle I won’t forget,” Harriet noted trying to cut the lengthy silence that hovered over them, “And thanks to those two and their friends…” She looked over at the fluttering beauty that seemed to be content to rest in the whips of the wind, “… I now have Mothim!”

Roxanne turned her expressions towards Harriet, with a joyous beaming smile adherent on her face, “I suppose you could see it as a parting gift, Harriet. Just think what new extravagancies will face the two of you in upcoming contests.”

Harriet seemingly calm and peaceful reflected the mildly humorous compliment with one last smile of thanks and contentment. Now however, she knew that another torturous goodbye would face both Max and her, as they prepared to finally leave Rustboro behind them and engage once again on their old paths with new meanings and new accomplishments. And, she knew that the hardest burden would rest upon Max.

“Well then, why don’t we head back for a spot of lunch, I’m pretty sure Brock will have whipped up something quite delectable,” Roxanne said.

As if the utterance of nothing had become normality, the two adolescents began a slow trek along the beach, heading along the same path that Rose and Curtis had just travelled along. Roxanne could only feel the heartbreaking essence of sorrow that accompanied the two young trainers on their journey, and so she too began to follow in silence, trudging with the beat of sadness.

The Gym Leader wasn’t able to bring herself a glance at Max and Harriet, as their parting grief would only burrow deeper inside her. She remembered back to her travelling days, the days when she had met and befriended many along her path to become a renowned Pokémon Trainer. That goal, that dream had been acquired and was present every day, but the friendships no longer were. That fact was the hardest matter to deal with. There was, though, one small glimmer of hope left, and she knew that the two would indeed be fired up for their journey within a matter of hours, raring to hit the road once more. At that age everything comes and goes, but no matter how hard it is to depart from the encounters… the look towards the future only brings joy and comfort. That was how she coped and dealt with all the unfathomable occurrences on her journey. Just look towards the future and everything would fall in place, and that was indeed what everyone had to handle at this very instance.

She was suddenly interrupted with her thinking as she collided into the back of Harriet, who had just come to a sudden stand still. Roxanne looked up into the bright daylight, and with that movement all the happiness and eagerness entered her heart once more. Coming full circle though, she gazed into the distance noticing a remarkably similar image of a relentlessly charismatic person. No sooner than having just said goodbye to one set of friends had another reappeared. Before them was the cocky but caring feature of Mark.

“Well hey there my fellow trainers,” he uttered with the same entertaining tone as before, “And it looks as if we now have a new companion within the two bandits… I suppose this makes you the mysterious three – yup I like that name.”

A surprised look of delight sprung upon Max, energizing him with a renewal of everything that he felt had departed with his other two friends, “Mark… ha-ha,” Max stated in complete and utter astonishment, “It has been a while hasn’t it, but I’m glad to meet you again mate.”

Max extended his hand towards Mark, clutching it tightly with true friendship entwined within each other’s palms. He had truly put the petty and childish fiasco behind him thanks to his rapid growth in maturity in the following weeks after his first encounter with Mark.

“It’s likewise to you my m brother,” he smirked, still retaining his same essence of cockiness but with less of a bold brunt, “And it’s certainly a pleasant surprise; I must admit, I still thought you’d be in the vicinity of Petalburg, cos I did happen to hear about the onslaught brought onto you by your Father.”

“Actually, if it wasn’t for that loss then I’d probably be that same annoying brat that you first met, my Dad really managed to push home the meaning of battling and it was there that I think I really did mature… anyway I might as well introduce you fully to our new friend Harriet,” Max said, waving over the attention to his rather bewildered new companion, who so far hadn’t quite understood anything that was previously said.

“Well it’s indeed a pleasure to meet you Harriet, Max always seems to have the best acquaintances out of anyone I seem to know,” he said while staring at the beautiful image of Roxanne with his scarlet clear eyes that only captured the beauty of which he desired.

“Ah, well I guess that’s a compliment then,” she chuckled, “Anyway, excuse me for asking but what on earth is an m brother?” she purposefully stated, acting as if it was indeed a matter of dire importance, but her only response was deep bellows of laughter erupting from even the likes of Roxanne, “I’m being serious, come on guys!”

“I wouldn’t worry about it if I were you Harriet, it’s simply just something that Mark refers to me by,” he said, whilst brushing off the remainder of the comedic statement that Harriet had so obliviously stated. She was still a little perplexed, but she now acknowledged the hopelessness of preying upon the subject.

“Well then Mark, now you know everyone, how about a battle to test our updated skills, because if I recall correctly, last time you had to fight against Roxanne, but now I’m ready for you!”

“Sure thing Max, there’s no better time than the present and I quite like my odds considering I happen to have 4 badges,” he smirked, though still retaining the composed posture that had drifted him through the recent conversation.

Max was rather taken aback by this comment, seemingly nerved to the bone by the realisation that one of his first rivals was doubly closer to entering the league than he was, whilst he could only grasp at the mere thought of battling at the Ever Grande Stadium.

“So Mark, do you happen to have my badge then,” Roxanne inquisitively asked.

“Actually I do, I beat the old Kanto leader that was minding your Gym for a while, as a matter of fact I earned the badge not long after bumping into you two as you were nearing Petalburg.”

“So what other badges do you have?”

“Well my first badge came from Flannery in Lavaridge Town, giving me the heat badge; my second badge came from Dewford when I beat Brawly to earn the Knuckle badge, and then I beat Brock and earned the Stone Badge and then finally I beat your Father Max and won the Balance Badge; all tough battles though I must point out, and going from my battle with you Roxanne, if you had been in the Gym I may only have 3 at the moment.”

Rather out of the blue, Max then decided to delve his hand into the side pocket of his yellow back pack, withdrawing the badge case that he had received after his first Hoenn Gym Battle against his Father. He gradually, with utter delicateness, opened the lid of the box as sparkling rays of light radiated off the surface of the badges.

“Well, I only happen to have 2, however I know I could easily take you on and give you one of your best fights to date,” Max feistily retaliated trying to boost his own inner confidence by sounding lively and energetic, he wasn’t going to let a matter of numbers overcome all he had worked upon.

“Certainly, well how…”

“Hang on a second,” Mark had been cut off mid sentence by the still confused and puzzled Harriet, whose face now showed complete bewilderment at what Max thought was still something only minor, “How come then you’re back in Rustboro if you already have the badge?”

“I’m only passing through, I have somewhere to be you see, and that’s why I’m a little pressed for time so our battle’s going to have to be a one on one Max so I can still keep to my schedule.”

“That’s absolutely fine, I already know who I’m going to use so pick your Pokémon and let’s get started!”

Max wasn’t wasting any time, he had longed for this opportunity ever since he first encountered Mark over a month ago. Roxanne had pretty much put Mark in his place, utilising the skills that her two rock Pokémon had to offer, combining the two’s defences as a way to maximise their performance in battle. It was finally time for Max to show Mark exactly what he could do, to show Mark exactly why he deserved his 2 badges.

Max quickly turned tail and headed a few paces down the cobbled road, halting in his tracks once he felt sufficiently far enough away, “Well this street’s as good as any,” he called to Mark, who had also used the wide spaces to gain a little distance, “So without further ado, Budew I choose you!”

Max tossed his sphere that quickly edged through the air, blurring the two colours of red and white together as it span efficiently down the make shift arena. The culminating energy forced the two halves of the ball to hinge open and expel the white power inside that mystically began to combine and gain a tint of green as Budew was forming. Once the glowing sparkles of pure white light had dispersed, the green bud like creature stood proud and strong, feeling her trainer’s courage and determination. Budew was ready to shine once again. Her fall at Rustboro was behind her, her errors resolved; she was about to prove just why she clenched the win back at Petalburg.

“You most certainly have a brave fighter there Max, I wonder though if she’ll be a match for Togepi… Ready my friend, it’s your turn!”

Mark too emulated the actions of Max, thrusting his ball down the street with great strength. It quickly burst through the air, soaring with the same blurred elegance as Max’s happened to. With a great sheer flash of light the ball split open in an instance, again like Max’s retaining a hinge between the two parts. The disfigured rays of energy partially danced their way to the ground, combining and entwining to form an half egg shaped Pokémon with a few spikes on the tip of its body acting, as it seemed to Max, as strands of hair. A rather weak looking creature stood before Max, pampering its little feet upon the cobbles below where it stood, but Max wasn’t going to be tricked into a false security about its strength. If he hadn’t known how deceiving and clever the trainer was then he may well have fallen for the masquerade of a weak and helpless baby, but underneath that shell he feared what nerving aggression had the potential to break free.

“Max, your move…”

“Right then, best start things off right this time, eh Budew? Go straight into a Sleep Powder, let’s knock’em out early!”

Budew relaxed the muscles that kept the two sprouting appendages upon its head to stay constricted, releasing the two concealed pads that were attached at both ends of the two thick attributes. Both of the pads started to throb vigorously, transforming the colours into a vibrant green that seemed to convulse in a sickly fashion, forming tight crystalline jewels that distilled almost immediately upon creation. The fading crystals left residual powdery traces in the air, which wafted like light little emerald glitter down the street straight towards Togepi – there was nowhere for it to run!

“Hmm, a clever tactic, luckily we have something that will scorch this little trick of yours; Togepi hit them with a blast of your Flamethrower!”

“What – no way…but…!”

Max’s face drooped, signalling the shock that pulsed through his emotions, as if quickly injected by an appalling needle of pure horror that was rapidly conquering all his stable senses of reason. His face said it all: the lack of confidence, the dawning peril that could easily overcome anything he threw at them; this all reminded him of his Contest battles where his elegance and style were thwarted left, right and centre, where he utilised… That was it, Water Sport was the answer. Turn defence into an offence.

“Actually, Budew we’re going to be alright mate, concentrate your water energy just like you did in the Contest and let’s give them a blast of your Water Sport. Quickly, it’s time to put out their chances of winning!”

Whilst the frothing particles of sleep dust began to burn and form a clear path of evasion for Togepi, Budew had already stored enough water inside her bud shaped body to alter her appearance, noticeable by the continuous rhythmic pounds of the sparkling sapphire tint that coursed through her every cell.

The stream of fire was only a few metres away now and Max realised he had to retaliate now, no matter whether there was enough energy to produce a jet with damage; water was still water and fire was still fire.

“Budew, you’ve got to do it now!”

The red and blue pads were put to use yet again as a torrent overflowed from the captivity of the cells. The water culminated together as it breached the lining of the padding and grew in a gushing eruption that began to propel with extreme speeds away from the grass type. The Flamethrower stood no chance against such a beast of power and disintegrated, similarly like the Sleep Powder, into water vapour due to the merging combination of fire and water. Now with nothing left to defend the poor egg Pokémon it was helpless.

It had no time to brace and ready itself against the surge of spherical perfection, there wasn’t even enough time for it to twiddle its fingers, all it could do was go with the flow, and in a matter of seconds Togepi was dynamically propelled away from its trainer, past the twinkling buildings bustling with life as its energy was sapped away.

Somehow, luck was clearly on Max’s side and Budew was fortunate for this, narrowly escaping a fiery onslaught, but by the determination brewing in Mark’s eyes he knew full well that Togepi would be ready and recharged in the same amount of time it took to knock that thing down.

“You never cease to amaze me Max, and now it’s time for me to do the same to you, be prepared for a surprise!” Mark energetically assured, waiting upon the return of his Pokémon before he continued his revelation, “Togepi, use your Metronome!”

Togepi started to sway its fingers from side to side to a simple beat; tick, tock, tick, tock. Backwards and forwards, from left to right, again and again the fingers moved. The recurring beat was now controlling the movement, left and right, back and forth, no stopping, no nothing; another sequence over and over.

“Okay Budew, it seems we’ve escaped again, so use your Bullet Seed!”

As Budew propelled the blurred seeds encased within their own aura of jade colour, Togepi’s finger tips began to radiate their own light, deepening in vividness as the blinding light grew stronger. Soon it had overtaken the whole egg shape, including the spiked tips; no one could bear to look. The light however quickly left the confides of Togepi’s body and began melding into one giant ball that glistened and rippled ceremoniously in front of the creature, and more importantly for Max, directly in front of his attack.

“Ha-ha, if that’s what I think it is then… wonderful,” Mark’s ecstatic voice cried, “Okay Togepi let the Flash Cannon rip!”

The gleaming orb, still hovering above the ground with clean precision, began shifting its gravitational force forward at the same rate as Togepi bended its fingers in the same direction. The pellets that stood as opposition were ritually knocked of course, crashing to the ground with their light bleating out, fading into nothingness as the sphere zoomed past. And with one last tremendous flick from Togepi, the ball crashed into its target, driving Budew off its delicate little feet and straight into the rays of the other blinding object that hovered in the sky. Budew temporarily vanished out of sight before crashing down in a heap against the cobbles.

“Great one Togepi, now it’s time to wrap this up and use your Flamethrower once more!”

“Budew, dodge it and use Synthesis!”

As Budew poised itself, ready to leap frog out of the way, its body was filled with dots of what seemed like sparkling sunlight, and it was exactly that. The warmth caressed all the pain that bit on like savage little creatures, expelling all the injuries by infiltrating the body with soothing liquid. Budew felt refreshed and improved, free to spring back into the battle anew… literally. With great confidence it soared in the breeze – drifting with tranquillity – and avoiding the fiery inferno below.

“Yes, take that Mark; now Budew hit Togepi with another offensive Water Sport, and then dampen the street, we best protect ourselves against future Flamethrowers!”

The delicate shade of blue burst throughout her body yet again, and the two tangled vines uncurled as the flood of water discharged. The circular spiral flew with elegance and grace, and hurled its mass towards Togepi at great velocity, and for the second time, Togepi had no chance of evasion. Wherever the little creature moved, the water only swerved and bent to its motions, following Togepi with specific care, such as it would a target. Finally, the water struck!

Togepi lay drenched from its head to its little feet, lying on cold and soaked cobbles. It looked a right mess, continuously dripping droplets into the few small pools that had formed in the cracks of the road. It dreaded to think how reduced the power of its Flamethrower had become, and it sensed that its trainer to was filled with the depressing dismay. There was not much left for them to use tactically, and Mark figured that their best hopes rested upon the unpredictability of Togepi’s other attack.

“Buddy, don’t worry about that, I guess we’ll just have to rely upon your Metronome, so go once more!”

The same monotone actions repeated on the same specific timer, back and forth, tick, tock. Max hesitated about throwing another attack at the Pokémon; he had to stay alert and prepared and free up Budew for any quick needed retaliations.

“Here we go Budew,” Max commented as the illuminating light appeared upon the tips of Togepi’s fingers, “Get ready…”

Before Max knew it, Togepi was charging straight for Budew with the gentle draping whisk of the winds trailing behind. The surroundings that enclosed the Pokémon had also become mere blurs to it… and to everyone else. There was something remarkable about the powers of Quick Attack, but Max had not time to bask in wonder, he had to adapt hastily, noticing how Budew’s time for a defence was swiftly dwindling.

“Bullet Seed!”

No hesitation peeked from Budew; it wholeheartedly placed its trust within its trainers command and unleashed the barrage of storming seeds. It didn’t care whether much damage was inflicted, as long as Togepi lost its own bearings and trailed away – that was all that mattered. So the little pellets cascaded through the air and Togepi continued on forward.

After a few seconds of waiting, Budew was still standing there, untouched and only slightly drained of energy. There plan had worked, succeeded, even operated efficiently it thought, and with a joyous grin it leapt into Max’s arms feeling the flourishing relief of comfort. Max looked up at Mark, just about to send Budew back into battle when he noticed his opponent hunched over Togepi, gently raising it from the ground whilst soothing whispers touched its ears. And then it was gone… absorbed back inside its comforting ball.

“Who would’ve guessed eh? I got beat by you… yet… I’m not overly surprised. You showed determination and clear strategy once the battle had begun and I doubt any Gym Leader would’ve found that challenge a walk in the park.”

“Thanks, and that Togepi is a real beast – man he gave me a fright with that Flamethrower, he’s certainly not one to underestimate… as I did.”

“Well, Max, your honesty is appreciated, and I look forward to our next encounters,” he speedily stated, collecting all his belongings and returning Togepi’s PokeBall back into its allocated etched socket that rested close to Mark upon his belt, “But I’m afraid I’m going to have to depart,” he began to merge into a run as he headed along the cobbled paving, sweeping his feet off into the distance, “Can’t stay for chit chat and all,” he shouted.

Amongst the three companions fell yet another dreary silence, basking each and every one of them in mild tones of confusion. With a brief smirk, Harriet sank into the reassuring bells of questions that rattled through her brain; at least this time it wasn’t only her.

The dusty clearing fell into perfect view as the overhanging trees sprang out of hiding whilst the bustling shopping streets slowly faded into the background, along with the towering buildings that sank into the skyline. Piles of sooty ground shifted underfoot, stirring a few clouds of the murky particles with the haste of movement that camouflaged the luscious grass with such a dirty complex. There was no time to stop and soak in the stunningly attractive nature, or dwell amongst the spirited Pokémon that tottered amongst the concealed bushes. The noises were splendid, crinkling leaves, the brittle snapping of twigs, and the pleasant tones of the creatures, but there was a place to be.

Mark continued his trek, keeping a close eye out for the garbage of creatures he had come to acquaint with. Why he had sunk so low again was the burning question on his mind. Yes the money was good, wholesome and useful, but the deceit was only crippling. No good ever came out of the wicked schemes, and luckily last time his plans were foiled by a persistent Jimmy, and Roxanne was reunited with her beloved Sudowoodo. This time however, his family bore the brunt of his actions.

“There you are,” some cackling and seductive rich tones said as a stout lady stepped out from the security of thick tree, “And it seems this time failure was never an option, am I right Butch?”

From behind a different set of trees emerged the lean and muscular young man, his green hair symbolising the evil that coursed through his veins, “I agree!”

“So do you have our package then, Mark?” Cassidy inquisitively questioned, instinctively raising her outstretched hand with the anticipation of her request.

“Yes… yes I do… but…” Mark hesitantly paused as he pondered his brain for the correct words to use, “… I don’t want to do this anymore. This time I’ve sunk too low, and I now know this isn’t me… this isn’t right. So I’ll let this one slide, as I’m pretty sure this creature wouldn’t have preferred it at my parents’ ranch anyway and you probably are more capable of turning it into a fighter… but if I ever see you again I’m not going to go lightly on you!”

With his words he thrust the PokeBall into Cassidy’s hand and recoiled with a sharp pain of terror. The deed was done, no more to it. All that he could do was leave this life behind, and so he slithered away, but his emotions flowed with insanely irreparable feelings that were unfixable and permanent. That was his payment for such a dastardly act. The money had already been paid in advanced, but he couldn’t touch it and probably never would be able to. At least now though he was rid of those monsters, worse than any he had ever known… and at least he had trustworthy friends, but for how long?
    Last edited by harryheart; 3rd January 2011 at 1:49 AM.

Nice ending there. Team Rocket again! Can't wait to see what Butch and Cassidy are up to. The battle was good as always. It will be interesting to see how strong Max's Pokemon will be in the future. Good chapter. Keep it up!

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast