Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Playing the Leveling Field (561)

This episode was pretty good. I'm glad they gave Fantina a French accent; it would be pretty lame if she didn't have one.
    And asdfjkl; Drifloon! I love them so much. But I never realized they had mouths... O.o Still, Fantina's is pretty beastly. And her Mismagius too, wow.

And what's with the random cameos? There was Juan, and that Nosepass kid. (He the CotD before, right?)
    Andd they actually used the Poketch! /shock

d00med n0w

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Kat View Post
    Lol. I was so happy I woke up to this episode coming on. I loved Fantina's voice. xD I loved at the end when she said something, and Ash and co. were all like "Did anyone understand what she just said?" xD

Drifloon is so cute. <3 that is definitely one of my favorite Pokemon. I can feel Satoshi's pain though. When his Pokemon kept being put to sleep. That is one of the most irritating things to deal with in the games. D:

And I really love how they give the gym leaders these big back stories now. It makes me more into the characters, and able to relate with them and all that fun stuff.

(: Great episode!
    My sisters know french and I could ask my other sis to interpret what she said in the end. I didn't even understood Fantina at first, but then I got use to her accent. Whoever played as Fantina sure played a show. French accent was sort of hard to understand even in English. I wonder how they work? What's next, a Latin speaker? Yeah, I didn't catch what Brock or Zoey heard either.

All I can say is Ash got owned. I'm surprised how Driftloon going on Driftblim completely decimated Ash's team.
    My Team

Made by my good friend Charizard Champion#06
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Puberty is for the weak. I was born a man.
    LOL

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 3480 2939 6419
    Pm Me to add.
    PSN ID: CM-Matt

according to bulbapedia, Bella Hudson provides the voice for Fantina (and to mention an excellent one as well).

Quote Originally Posted by A_Merry_Snowrunt View Post
    according to bulbapedia, Bella Hudson provides the voice for Fantina (and to mention an excellent one as well).
    This is just me, so take it with a grain of salt.

I think that bulbapedia might be wrong on this.
    I think that it might be Sarah Natochenny (Ash's voice actress)
    I can back it up with the voice reels she has on her site, she has a French reel on it.
    The way Fantina and Sarah speak french almost match (minus the voice tone)
    I will need to watch the episode again, just to be sure.
    I'm almost 80% sure it's her.

again, take it with a grain of salt, just till I'm sure.

I thought this episode was ok.
    I didn't like Fantina's voice at first, but after a while I started to like it.
    The episode was a little boring at first, but it got better once the battle started.
    I can't believe that Ash got his butt kicked by a Driftloon!
    7/10

This was a good episode. I hated Fantina's voice it was irritating and she used french here, and there good thing i auctually studied french since grade 4.
    I'm Back!!!
    FC is 4656 6891 6580

So Shellos won Zoey her 3rd ribbon.

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

This episode was good. Classic Brock meeting Fantina. Ominous Wind was rather unimpressive. It was quite cool how Drifloon turned Flamethrower into Will-o-Wisp. I really get Ash’s frustration. In the games, sleep is the second most annoying status condition to get in my opinion (the first being paralysis).
    My First Ever Level 100 Team:
    My Current Level 100 Team: ;635; ;598;
    70% of the Serebii population uses ultra powerful legendaries(also known as ubers) in their teams.
    If you are one of the 30% that thinks outside the box
    and doesn't use ubers, copy and paste this into your signature! (^started by SapphireL!)

I thought it was ok not much happened except Ash getting owned by Fantina. Also
    I like how flamethrower turned to will-o-wisp.
    Volt Tackle's #1 fan
    [IMG]http://i50.*******.com/s2fn76.jpg[/IMG]
    Diamond fc:4468 1368 0835 ign: psfrag
    Heart Gold fc:4555 2145 5815 ign: psfrag

Fan Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post
    She called Brock a beast....LOL

You live on another planet right?
    I was kinda shocked too. Though it does suit her. So now what? When's he gonna challge her again?
    Ask me about Pokeplace Town

I thought the episode was good. Too bad Ash got beat pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyVaati View Post
    I think it was the 9th.
    Yeah it was the 9th movie. But, I don't understand why they would use it at the beginning of this episode.
    Nintendo 3DS FC: 2105-8824-8167
    PM me if you add me so I can add you

My Friend Safari (Water): Bibarel , Gyarados , Azumarill

Safaris I am looking for with these Pokemon:
    1. Drifblim
    2. Poliwhirl
    3. Heracross
    4. Whirlipede
    5. Gothorita
    6. Forretress
    7. Sigilyph

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Aura View Post
    I was kinda shocked too. Though it does suit her. So now what? When's he gonna challge her again?
        Spoiler:- ...:
    Last edited by ShinyVaati; 8th February 2009 at 3:46 AM.
    3DS Friend Code: 3609-1148-9481

RIP Original Y save file. Never using PokeBank again.

Zoey's not very good at battling. Why didn't she have her Glameow use shadow claw?

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

Loved TR's role in this- they actually did everything they came for and got away cleanly- how often does that happen?

I do have some complaints about this episode, though. First, Fantina's accent. DEEP HURTING. She sounds like Yvette from Clue. Second, WTF was up with the translation? Could they have put in any more ridiculous lines? You can't convince me that those were a direct translation, especially the "lemons" bit.
    Walk a little further off the beaten path
    And we’ll drive on even if we get there last
    Our backs against the wall and we will lunge and bite
    And we’ll rage, rage, rage against the dying of the light
    Here And Now by Great Big Sea

My shinies-

[QUOTE=katfairy;9392851 Second, WTF was up with the translation? Could they have put in any more ridiculous lines? You can't convince me that those were a direct translation, especially the "lemons" bit.[/QUOTE]
    Of course not those are expressions. Expressions can't be directly translated word for word and have the same meaning. For all we know the Japanese used an expression as well, who knows what it would sound like if it was directly translated. It might not even make sense, in a situation like that you have to change it.

I'm really wondering why anyone (anyone) would get so worked about translations. When I took french for four years in high school. My French teacher basically said "Direct word for word translations is a horrible way to know what something means."
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Man I was hoping that Pikachu would actually pull through against Drifloon. Hypnosis x 3 = Game Over for this fight. Too bad Ash never had a Vigoroth or some other Pokemon immune to sleeping since that would be pretty vital against Hypnosis users.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Of course not those are expressions. Expressions can't be directly translated word for word and have the same meaning. For all we know the Japanese used an expression as well, who knows what it would sound like if it was directly translated. It might not even make sense, in a situation like that you have to change it.

I'm really wondering why anyone (anyone) would get so worked about translations. When I took french for four years in high school. My French teacher basically said "Direct word for word translations is a horrible way to know what something means."
    I've seen some literal translations from Japanese to English over the years, and there is nothing that comes across as humorous. It's all in the nuance, and the interpretation. I would say Pokemon's huge success in large part has come from the ability to keep the essence of the storyline while not being afraid to take chances in the adaptation.

(sorry for the delay but it took me a bit to find this episode today)

Well,to be honest I'm writing this review with mixed feelings:

First of all, I really like Fantina! Although the Hearthome gym battle hasn't taken place yet, she already belongs to my favorite Sinnoh gym leaders! Her French dialect was a welcome change and her glamorous dress was stunning. Her violet eye shadow was perhaps a teense bit too exaggerated and made her look too old, (Girls, what do you think about that?) but that was really trivial if you ask me.
    Probably it's just me but the best about her was that she somehow reminded me of Cynthia!
    No, I'm not kidding. You see, most of her features, namely her glamor, the dress, and her strength, could as well be ascribed to my beloved Cynthia.:blush::blush:

However, here's why I couldn't entirely enjoy this week's episode:
    It's damn hard for an Ash-Fan to admit that, but he failed miserably today :mad:
    I haven't seen such a bad performance of him for ages:uhoh:
    To make things worse, I have the worrying feeling that Chimchar will be neglected and screwed up! Let's do some straight talking:
    When has Chimchar done something really significant since Ash got him? After almost 50 episodes he hasn't even won a gym batte yet!! (In "Chim-charred" he wasn't the "normal" Chimchar!)
    I really love Chimmy and it brakes my heart having to see how badly he is treated by the writers...:thumbd:
    Will Paul really be right in the end or do you think that his standing will improve?...some day...

Anyways, Ash, I was really diappointed and even somewhat shocked today!
    Pikachu can't handle a little, unenvolved(!!!) ballon Pokemon?! That is,sorry for having to say that, but that is alarming. Pikachu has already faced much stronger Pokemon than a Driftloon and could stand his own almost every time!
    I'm really lacking the words to describe how surprised and shocked I am.
    Just imagine: If Paul had been there watching, he would surely have made fun of Ash... How humiliating!

Well, on the one hand a successful introduction of the awesome Fantina but on the other a sad defeat for Ash. Of course, he had to lose in the first encounter with Fantina, but was it really necessary that he was swept away that much?

6.5 out of 10 points
    ASH FOR THE WIN!
    Pokémon veteran since 1999

Words of wisdom from Serebii Chat:
    [01:37] <Brainless> I hate the WORLD.
    [01:37] <Trainer_Trixie> trade your soul on wifi

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post

I don't ask for a direct translation, just a fairly accurate one. And one that isn't patently ridiculous. This one failed.
    Walk a little further off the beaten path
    And we’ll drive on even if we get there last
    Our backs against the wall and we will lunge and bite
    And we’ll rage, rage, rage against the dying of the light
    Here And Now by Great Big Sea

My shinies-

This episode was ok. It was good to see Fantina after all this time though
    Love James calling Chimchar chimmy though hehe
    Thought Pikachu would have won though even though Drifloom evolved

loved this episode especially the way fantina was introduced. i liked Fantina's accent theyve made the voice match her image perfectly.i wasnt dissapointed and shocked about Ash losing to Fantina because he has always had a trcky time beating Ghost type pokemon for example,
    he beat Morty after a very tough battle
    and he lost against Agatha's Gengar easily

ghost pokemon are tricksy dont forget

I know this animé doesn't follow real world physics, but since when does wind result in sparks? Seriously.
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by uber gon View Post
    I know this animé doesn't follow real world physics, but since when does wind result in sparks? Seriously.
    well you answered that yourself 'doesnt follow the real world'

I liked this episode alot. The music to the title intro was really cool, like something I've never heard before.
    Fantina's voice was esquisite. Her voice actress did a good job at makeing her sound French. I loved it.

First Paris, and now Fantina do really well with some French words like "s'il vous pla&#238;t" or "Tr&#232;s bien".

Im pumped up for the next episode, despite the horrible episode title.

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast