Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: Catching Shiny Pokémon with the Pokéradar - READ FIRST POST

Hey everyone, first post! Woo!

First off, the video to go with this post - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn_R7...&feature=g-upl

So, I'm chaining eevees in the trophy garden, I use the pokeradar and I get these patches. Look at the one in the bottom right of the screen - its on the 4th set of tiles, its surrounded by other grass patches, it's not exactly diagonal, horizontal or vertical to the place I used the radar, and there are no other patches of shaking grass around it. The distribution of the other grass patches is pretty standard I'd say. And yet, at a chain of just 19 (my highest, I know, I suck), that bottom right patch gave me a roselia. This always seems to happen, as in my chains break for seemingly no reason whatsoever, and people say there is always a reason for chains breaking but I really can't see it. Am I missing something?

Also, one more question - when chaining pokemon that appear less often, such as the eevees I'm trying to chain (only 5% encounter rate ), are the chains more prone to randomly breaking than a chain of common pokemon like bidoof?

Edit - decided to try something a little easier and chain the swarm pokemon as people often seem to suggest. I got to 20 with my lickitungs, closed the lid of my ds, went back to it in the morning and the chain had reset to 0 Very mysterious...

Edit 2 - Tried chaining shinx this time, I've always thought shiny Luxray was awesome. Got to a chain of 40 for the first time ever, then proceeded to reset the radar again, and again, and again, and again... a total of 150 times. If my maths is correct, you should get a shiny patch on average every 50 resets (1 in 200 chance at chain 40, you see 4 patches so thats 4 in 200 which equals 1 in 50), and yet after 150 I had none. Suddenly, walking along, a shinx popped up - I'd forgotton to use my max repel again and found one in a random encounter, not part of the chain, so the chain broke. It's like I'm destined not to get a shiny D:

Edit 3 - HOLY MOLY I am very annoyed right now... just tried chaining eevee for the fourth time, as I'm desperate to get a shiny espeon, and for the first time I got past 20, and all the way to 39!... and then, I saw the perfect patch of grass, walked into it... ROSELIA. THAT STUPID PLANT!!!!! Ruining my precious eevee chain at the 40th one :'( I need a break...
    Last edited by Maxamilius291; 17th June 2012 at 7:31 PM.

So I decided to chain again just to keep my skills fresh and I was going through shinies just to c if any caught my eye. Well I came upon shiny teddiursa . This little guy is looks awesome don't care for ursaring but I just had to chain it. So I get to 34 and my first patch appears then after reaching to 40 I finally start reseting and this had to be the most I ever did besides eevees. I managed to get 5 using over 300 repels jus alone on resetting.

Honestly when I did the eevee's I started resetting at 35. With the low percent count u want to be very careful to be safe and waste all that time just reset at 35. It may tAke awhile but it's worth it.
        Spoiler:- Shiny Trainer Card:

Quote Originally Posted by ChaChi View Post
    Honestly when I did the eevee's I started resetting at 35. With the low percent count u want to be very careful to be safe and waste all that time just reset at 35. It may tAke awhile but it's worth it.
    Only just saw this, think I'll take your advice next time... I tried again this morning, and as if to support my theory of being destined not to get a shiny, the same thing happened. Chain of 39 eevees, go into the 40th patch... Staravia. Next time I'll stop earlier.

Edit - Hmm... seems Lady Luck was feeling a bit quilty after my 10 failed eevee chains, 2 failed shinx chains and failed lickitung chained, and so decided to compensate for it... My whole team has mysteriously become infected with pokerus. I have absolutely no idea how, but I'm not complaining
    Last edited by Maxamilius291; 18th June 2012 at 5:08 PM.
    --------------------------------
    Wannabe shiny hunter :3

Quote Originally Posted by Maxamilius291 View Post
    Only just saw this, think I'll take your advice next time... I tried again this morning, and as if to support my theory of being destined not to get a shiny, the same thing happened. Chain of 39 eevees, go into the 40th patch... Staravia. Next time I'll stop earlier.

Edit - Hmm... seems Lady Luck was feeling a bit quilty after my 10 failed eevee chains, 2 failed shinx chains and failed lickitung chained, and so decided to compensate for it... My whole team has mysteriously become infected with pokerus. I have absolutely no idea how, but I'm not complaining
    I am so shocked about your Eevee chain. I would suggest if you ever get to 39 again to stop there and reset. But anything at 30 or above is risky so if you get to 30 maybe stop. I have not tried Eevee in ages but i always fail at getting to ten and then i get so sick of trying to find Eevee again just to start another chain. Well done you for all the patience and congratulations on your pokerus at least that is something.

Update on my shinies, i ended my Gloom chain. Well it ended for me, the 13th shiny patch was on a corner and i wanted to end the chain anyway so gambled. 13 is nothing to be upset about and now that adds gloom and evos to my shinydex woo!. I am now trying for Ledian (not too keen on the shiny form though so my current target is 5 if i get the chain to 40).
        Spoiler:- Shinies:

Just caught my second shiny ever!! A random encounter relaxed shiny litwick, that I found while EV training my heatran. The natures not great (+defense -speed), but it will do. Haven't had a shiny since the random encounter zigzagoon in emerald, so I'm very happy

Oh, and congrats on your gloom chain scrufox! I quite like the shiny ledian, but good luck anyway I've given up on chaining after over 20 failed attempts at various Pokemon, but I might come back to it later - I have 3 months of summer holidays ahead of me
    --------------------------------
    Wannabe shiny hunter :3

Quote Originally Posted by Maxamilius291 View Post
    Just caught my second shiny ever!! A random encounter relaxed shiny litwick, that I found while EV training my heatran. The natures not great (+defense -speed), but it will do. Haven't had a shiny since the random encounter zigzagoon in emerald, so I'm very happy

Oh, and congrats on your gloom chain scrufox! I quite like the shiny ledian, but good luck anyway I've given up on chaining after over 20 failed attempts at various Pokemon, but I might come back to it later - I have 3 months of summer holidays ahead of me
    Why thank you. I have given up on chaining for a little while. Ledian was not very co-operative with me and so i am annoyed with chaining for now. Congratulations on your shinies.
    About your chaining, have you followed the rules on the first page of this thread? It should guide you to at least get a starly or shinx chain up to 40 and get a few shinies out of it.

Well I was planning on trying to get lucky eggs from chansey so I use banette that had frisk. Well after getting fustrasted with chansey not showing up I decided to just got for bonsly and managed get to 40 on the first try ended up getting 4 shines from the chain. May go for happiny.

Well I was planning on trying to get lucky eggs from chansey so I use banette that had frisk. Well after getting fustrasted with chansey not showing up I decided to just got for bonsly and managed get to 40 on the first try ended up getting 4 shines from the chain. May go for happiny.
    Congratulations on your four shiny Bonsly. Coincidentally i got four shiny sudowoodo two years ago (and i think it was in June as well..). Just checked your shiny card... wow you have some pretty cool shinies that i would love to get myself on day. I am loving the masuda method odds in black/white 2 with that new item.

I managed to chain zigzagoon today. I got three chains into the the 30s before they broke by bidoof and shinx. On my fourth try I got to 40 and after 23 max repel caught a shiny zigzagoon. I was using an adamant ralts for synchronise, and it worked.
    Leaf green re count:540
    happy to trade. white fc: 0734 2476 0668 SSBB fc: 3308 6572 9381
    3ds friend code: 2466 2806 3978
    Former Admin pidgeotto from dueling network.
    heam my cream.
    shiny hunts in progress:
    540 encounters on route 210
    3078 SR's for articuno
    268 SR's in black2 BQ
    842 hordes encountered
    120 Jaw fossils revived

Shiny failures:

I finally got my chain to reach for 40 managed to get 6 shiny Happiny. I got 3 last night then when i woke up i did 3 more shiny patches and accidentally ran into a shaking spot. Thanx Scrufox86, you have some shinies i would like as well pinsir, aron are awesome.

I finally got my chain to reach for 40 managed to get 6 shiny Happiny. I got 3 last night then when i woke up i did 3 more shiny patches and accidentally ran into a shaking spot. Thanx Scrufox86, you have some shinies i would like as well pinsir, aron are awesome.
    I haven't put too much effort into chaining but i did try going for pidgey again as i have two but want a third for the whole evolution line in shiny form. Kept breaking early.

Yeah ChaChi i don't trade my shinies usually but as i have 18 shiny Aron then i may consider letting one go if it is for a shiny i really want. I only have one shiny pinsir so i am no way trading that one. Absol, Gligar, Gastly or Teddiursa i like. I tried MMing Gastly on black/white games but no luck, same with gligar. Congratulations on your shiny Happiny by the way, wow 6 and you even have a shiny Blissey as well.

Well I plan on doing pinsirs and I'm gonna mm for Aron with it dw ability. Yeah I chain chansey while back and only got one then decided I liked happiny more. I can never get my game to swarm pidgeys.

ChaChi, I don't think it swarms Pidgey's, I think they are a PokeRadar exclusive pokemon on the route above the Ribbon Syndicate. I've chained them there before without having a swarm. (For some reason, my game has had the same swarm for a week, any ideas why?)

You guys are so good in chaining o.o I usually made 20 . . . than it broke . .

***POKERUS available upon request with any trade.***
    Chain Fish Shiny --> Skrelp
        Spoiler:- Starters:

[My shinies , make YOUR offer!]

Spoiler:- Shiny Pokemon:

[What i'm I looking for ? :O ]
        Spoiler:- Looking for ?:

My trade shop https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Pidgeys are swarms in route 229. Lol i know what u mean mine likes to be on drowzee. Well it wasn't easy learning but once I got the hang of its not that bad. I always try to go for low percentile cause u really have to know what look for. Then when u do a easier chain with higher percents it's alot easier.

Hi everyone. I haven't been chaining much for a while. Been concentrating on 5th gen MMing for shinies. Well i have tried recently chaining again and have not had much luck. Swarms have been rubbish and keep getting ones i already have shinies of. I have tried Pidgey again and not gotten anywhere with getting my 3rd shiny Pidgey. Anyway good luck to everyone and congratulations on all recent shinies.

Just managed to get a shiny nincada got chain 27 and I lay my game down accidentally slid my finger across and ran into a patch grrr. The one I did get was adamant which is what I wanted.

I should try my hand at chaining again, I've only been successful once and then I accidentally broke my chain because I didn't see one of the patches shake (and then walked into it while recharging the radar) >.<
    Are swarms much easier? I had been trying to chain a Growlithe on route 201, but haven't been having much luck. I'm wondering if one of the problems I'm having is just the targets I choose.
    Pearl BQ: 1.2.3.4.
    SS BQ: 1.2.3.

Ever wanted to attend a Pokémon convention?
    Check out Pokéthon, a new sub-event at Otakuthon in Montreal, Canada this August!
    Like us on Facebook for news and updates!

started chaining again yesterday after never having any success with it before. Rage quit yesterday after 3 15's broke in a row. Got back to it today, got to 15 and it broke, Get to a chain of 2 and a shiny Shinx. The amount of joy im feeling right now is unbelievable. feelsgoodman

I came back to look at this forum and this thread in particular after a long break, and to my surprise, things are pretty lively. Last year, I strained my wrist pretty badly chaining, so once I reached a natural stopping point, I moved on to other games. But reading people's comments inspired me to pick up from where I gave up: chaining Happiny in the Trophy Garden.

I was a little rusty after a long layoff, so I started by breaking 2 chains. On the 3rd chain, I managed to hit my target point: chain #36, which I figured would be a safe stopping point. The expected number of max repels used at 36 before getting a shiny, if the chaining tables on the front page are accurate, is 50, but of course it's possible to use a lot more. Over a hundred max repels later, I threw up my hands and went for it on a normal tile. Safe! I picked up my first Happiny after that, then ground out another hundred max repels before I lost patience and went for it again, not even daring to look at the screen. When I heard the familiar Happiny cry, I relaxed. That got me to #39. Taking risks at that stage is pretty dangerous, but I couldn't bear the thought of burning through hundreds of repels and potentially missing a shiny. After that, I got shinies with more consistency (including two shiny patches at the same time -_-;; ).

I can't wait to transfer one to another cartridge and raise a Blissey. Looks like all the IVs and natures are duds even though I spent 3 full days collecting and resting. My wrist isn't feeling so hot, so I think I will be taking another long break. If I never see the Trophy Garden again, it will be too soon. I'm glad my DS XL won't be tied up any longer- I want to get back to Pokemon Conquest and Silver.

So. I've been chaining wobuffets at Lake Variety. I stoP for a while since my highest chain (21) broke. I get back on and since wobuffets are only in sparkely patches I look for them. I reset my radar, mostly busy on my phone, and just go to a sparkly patch I saw. In it was a shiny starly!

IGN: Flyer 3DS FC: 4012 5240 1274

Credit goes to Astral Shadow from The Under for the awesome sig!

Just got a shiny mr.mime while chaining today! I haven't chained in a while, but my chain is still going!!! I'll update you guys if I catch anymore! Also, check out my chaining guide which is based off of merbears!

EDIT: I literally JUST found my 2nd shiny mr.mime!!!! YES!!!!
    12:00am JUST GOT NUMBER 3!!! I'M ON A ROLL!!!!
    12:32am JUST GOT NUMBER 4!!!
    12:42am JUST GOT NUMBER 5!!
    12:44am I don't believe it. Already NUMBER 6!!!!
    1:01am LUCKY NUMBER 7!!!
    1:08am NUMBER 8!!!! Seriously this is insane!!!
    1:18am NUMBER 9!!!! I may have to call it a night and continue tomorrow. I do have work.
    1:45am DOUBLE DIGIT!!! #10!!! I couldn't call it a night being so close to double digits. Now I'm off to bed. Will continue this tomorrow! Goodnight everyone!!
    5:39pm at work #11!!! Right now the chain is at 50, not sure how long I wanna go.
    9:39pm at home #12!!
    throughout the night I got 13-14 and then accidentally broke the chain on 58 by my finger slipping and me going into a patch with a gastrodon. Bummer, but hey new record for the most shinies caught for me chaining!

For the past 4 days, since 7/24 I have been chaining geodude. So far I am up to 90 which is a record for me and I have caught so many shiny geodude's I've lost count haha.
    Last edited by help; 29th July 2012 at 3:16 AM. Reason: 2nd shiny mr.mime

All shinies in my banner are for trade.
    My diamond friend code is 1292 4614 8475. I'm hunting for a shiny clefairy. Non-shiny clefairies so far: 10,355.

My pokeradar shinies (NOT FOR TRADE)
    x2 x3 x4 x13 x8 x6 x1 x7 x3 x3 x4 x1 x 7 x 14 x 14

Click here to see all my shinies on my english version of pokemon diamond. here's what the shiny patch looks like. My guide on how to chain Part 1 Part 2
    FREE IPADS AND OTHER FREE STUFF

Hi guys.Yesterday i started to chain for shiny pokemon for my first time.I was so lucky that i catch a shiny vulpix at chain of 6 with Timid nature .Also i chain a eevee and at chain of 16 i saw a shiny grass.It was shiny eevee but my nintendo after 30 seconds turned off cause to low battery!!!!!!Anyway,i want to know if it worth to stop the chain at 25 and start to reset the pokeradar.Does it have good results?How much time will it take to get a shiny at 25 chain?
    DON'T WORRY LADIES!BROCK IS HERE!

FOR TRADE:
    Lv70 Relaxed nature || ALAMOS Event
    x3 Lv50 Hardy,mild,bold nature || WIN2011 Modest flawless nature
    x2 Lv50 docile,naughty nature || GAMESTP
    x2 sassy,nasty nature || Oblivia
    adamant flawless nature || TRU
    Jolly flawless nature (MAY2010) || TRU
    Shiny Event || TRU
    Shiny Event || TRU
    Shiny Event ||

Looking For any shiny(Prefer Pokeradar's)

[IMG]http://i39.*******.com/2w658r6.png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by spyrosgost View Post
    Hi guys.Yesterday i started to chain for shiny pokemon for my first time.I was so lucky that i catch a shiny vulpix at chain of 6 with Timid nature .Also i chain a eevee and at chain of 16 i saw a shiny grass.It was shiny eevee but my nintendo after 30 seconds turned off cause to low battery!!!!!!Anyway,i want to know if it worth to stop the chain at 25 and start to reset the pokeradar.Does it have good results?How much time will it take to get a shiny at 25 chain?
    Well according to this http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...20#post7463620

you have a 1/800 chance of seeing the shiny patch with a chain of 25 so that's pretty good odds. With a chain of 25 it might take you 100 max repels, but as long as you're patient you should be fine. also check out my guide to chaining in my signature if you're having trouble chaining.

My diamond friend code is 1292 4614 8475. I'm hunting for a shiny clefairy. Non-shiny clefairies so far: 10,355.

Click here to see all my shinies on my english version of pokemon diamond. here's what the shiny patch looks like. My guide on how to chain Part 1 Part 2

AHHHHH!!! I know this is a double post but I just recorded an AWESOME video where I caught a shiny geodude on my chain of 100! It's the first time I've ever gotten to 100 on a chain! I'll post the video soon and keep you updated on where I'm at on the chain. I'm at 102 so far!!

the video is here!!!

EDIT: I am currently up to 117!
    EDIT 2: I'm up to 126 now! Still going strong!
    EDIT 3: Dangittttt!!! A friggin starly broke my chain! I got up to 128 and caught 14 shiny geodude's though so that's a record for me!!!
    Last edited by help; 31st July 2012 at 5:45 AM. Reason: added the video and updated chain count

Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 LastLast