Thread: Help with EVs

Default Help with EVs

So from the guide you can have a max of 510 EVs total, 255 Max on a stat correct?

I put the Macho Brace on my Dratini and send him in first, then I switch him out with a pokemon that can actually kill.

So far I've gotten 152 EVs towards Attack killing Machokes/Banettes and 56 EVs on Special Attack killing Golducks. That's a total of 208 EVs. I decided to finish off Attack with Proteins and add on Calcium for Special Attack so I went and bought 10 each since that's the maximum on them as well right? After about 5 calciums he wouldn't take anymore of calciums or any proteins. Each calcium/proten is a +1 to a stat which is each worth 4 EVs, I used 5 Calciums which should be 20 or am I wrong? I should have a few hundred EVs leftover so I should be able to add more Proteins/Calciums. Any idea what I did wrong?

Vitamins actually give 10 EVs to a stat, not 4. Also, if you try to feed a Pokemon a vitamin after it has 100 EVs in a stat, it will fail. That is why you were able to feed your Dratini 5 Calciums (if you had started feeding it Calciums when it had 0 Special Attack EVs, you would have been able to feed it 10, totaling 100 Special Attack EVs). Therefore, you can feed a Pokemon a maximum of 10 vitamins in a stat before you have to resort to the old method of fighting Pokemon. It is thus important that you feed the vitamins BEFORE you fight the Pokemon, otherwise you may be over the 100 EV limit and therefore be unable to use vitamins.

By the way, in the future, you should post EV-related questions in the DP EV Guide and Discussion thread. I also advise reading through the first post of the guide, since it contains some very useful and important information regarding EVs.
    Last edited by Icosahedron; 20th October 2008 at 11:05 PM.
    Sprites obtained here.

Indefinitely inactive due to schoolwork.

Shame. I recently started EV training and I made a mistake with my Weavile. I did 252 speed, perfectly, but then I wound up screwing its attack. I thought that the Power Bracer gives 4 and only 4 attack EVs. Instead, I found out it was 4 EVs and the EVs from the Pokemon. :P
    Originally Posted by Serebii
    Hey...I could have saved this dex update and called it a stupid codename like Project Shiny Encounter or something crap like that and hyped it up

Shame. I recently started EV training and I made a mistake with my Weavile. I did 252 speed, perfectly, but then I wound up screwing its attack. I thought that the Power Bracer gives 4 and only 4 attack EVs. Instead, I found out it was 4 EVs and the EVs from the Pokemon. :P
    Originally Posted by Serebii
    Hey...I could have saved this dex update and called it a stupid codename like Project Shiny Encounter or something crap like that and hyped it up

Yeah, thanks. i don't think the guide mentioned using the proteins etc. before you started battling pokemon, man it's going to take a while to max it out now. Wish I knew that beforehand lol