Thread: Hi! Let me introduce myself.

Default Hi! Let me introduce myself.

Well i'm pretty new to Serebii and competitive play. That's why i'm here. Let me introduce myself. My name is Tucker. I'm here to learn how to play pokemon in the competitive nature. So, please allow me to ask a few questions.

Ok, since I've been reading posts and stuff I've been noticing alot of terms that I am not familiar with. Most notably are STAB, UU, and OU (I think). If someone can fill me in on what those mean and what other terms that are used here alot mean would be fantastic.

Now, let's talk about actual gameplay. What exactly should a team consist of in a competitive environment?

I have been reading ALOT about people complaining about "skarblissy". Can someone please tell me the synergy between the two and why they are so popular?

Now onto more specific questions. I have been looking at builds for certain pokemon and a couple of them require the skill Wish. Where exactly can I get wish?

My last question-What is the current meta like?

Well, thanks in advance. ;]
    My confidence is so high because I know I'm that good.

i'm sorry I don't know what they mean. I think i'll go and lookit up for you.

EDIT: I found out what STAB means, it stands for same-type attack bonus. like if a grass used a grass move it will do more damage.

CURSE YOU PERRY THE PLATYPUS!

Hi, Have Fun and Follow the Rules

I should really copy and paste this
    [img]http://i43.*******.com/21exeg2.png[/img]

Credit to zhanton for Banner
    FC (Blaze): 4082-6986-3403

Hi! Welcome to Serebii!

OU stands for overused and is used to describe pokemon that are used in teams a lot because of their power, like Alakazam or Metagross.

UU, respectably, is underused. These pokemon are not considereed to be powerful enough, like Absol and Altaria.

Have a great time!

-The Eevee Breeder

These are Kozoku's adoptees. They need your love!
    Check me out on Fanfiction!: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1674780/eeveebreeder678
    I have claimed Wailord

Welcome to Serebii, i hope you have a good time.

I think there is a section where you can get help, with putting a team together.

Credit to Mr. Joker for the Glee banner
    Credit to Skiyomi for the lovely Blue Snover banner

If anyone is interested in a custom ribbon for your profile pic, be sure to check out Ayra's sprite thread in the fanart section, if you want to take a look at her work have a look at my profile.

Welcome to Serebii! I'm a newbie myself!
    The Canyon of Bravery

It has an Active ASB

Hello!

Well, hello there.

STAB stands for Same Type Attack Bonus, which means that a pokemon using a move that is the same type as it gets its attack power increased by x1.5.

OU is overused and UU is underused, which are tiers for pokemon, in order to organize them properly according to their potential. There are several tiers; Uber, where the pokemon that are deemed to powerful for OU go to, OU, also referred to as the standard environment, is where the pokemon that are the mostly used outside of uber reside. BL, standing for borderline is where the pokemon that are not good enough for OU, but too good for UU lie. UU is where the lesser used pokemon are, such as claydol and drifblim. NU, standing for never-used is where the pokemon that are nearly never seen are found; these pokemon are considered too weak for UU.

Most people get their tier information from smogon: http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/.

To your question of the synergy between skarmory and blissey; they are considered extremely capable walls due to their stats, moves, and typings. Skarmory is the defensive wall, while blissey is the most annoying special wall with a massive hp and decent sp.def. These work well together because each of their weaker defenses are targeted and they can cause switches. However, the combination has become outdated and it is not as common nor as big of a threat.

Wish is a move that several pokemon can learn naturally, while others can only gain access to it through nintendo events.

Hi, welcome to the forums ^_^ i hope you enjoy your stay here
    >>PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, MY 3DS FRIEND LIST IS FULL!<<

Ahhhh thanks guys that really clears some stuff up.

Can I ask you guys what your most favored team/combos are?

And is the only way to get Wigglytuff wish through special nintendo events?

Thanks again in advance guys ;]

Hehe nevermind my last post, I found that Wigglytuff can get Wish through breeding.

But, can someone fill me in on what some of the top-tier teams are?

Well, if this helps, the most used Pokemon in September (October's stats haven't been compiled yet) were...

1. Heatran
    2. Gengar
    3. Salamence
    4. Gyarados
    5. Blissey
    6. Metagross
    7. Lucario
    8. Scizor
    9. Infernape
    10. Bronzong
    11. Tyranitar
    12. Deoxys-E (who is banned now, as it was banished to Ubers last month)
    13. Zapdos
    14. Celebi
    15. Swampert
    16. Weavile
    17. Shaymin-S
    18. Suicune
    19. Garchomp (who's also been banned since the statistics were taken)
    20. Vaporeon

I'm pretty sure that almost every team will have a Steel-type on, and many will have more than one of them. This is clear when we realize that half of the top 10 Pokemon are Steel-type.

Blissey is also used on a plethora of teams, and she truly deserves to be so popular. She renders most other special walls in the game nearly useless, and makes special sweepers difficult to use, which is why the top 20 Pokemon is dominated by physically orientated Pokemon.

Bulky waters are very common too. Swampert, Suicune and Vaporeon are the most used ones. I personally like Vaporeon and Swampert the most, but all 3 are fabulous Pokemon, and are certainly worth a spot on your team.
    Last edited by SHUCKLE MAN; 7th November 2008 at 8:43 PM.

That's very interesting.

Why is Heatran number 1?

And what exactly are the water builds that you would run on Swamper/Suicune/Vaporeon

If you're interested, here are the top 20 used Pokemon for October (they were released today).

1. Heatran
    2. Scizor
    3. Salamence
    4. Zapdos
    5. Blissey
    6. Gyarados
    7. Lucario
    8. Gengar
    9. Tyranitar
    10. Shaymin-S
    11. Metagross
    12. Infernape
    13. Swampert
    14. Deoxys-E (He's banned from OU now though)
    15. Bronzong
    16. Azelf
    17. Suicune
    18. Celebi
    19. Vaporeon
    20. Kingdra

Why is Heatran popular? Well, it's just generally a very good Pokemon. It's got nice resistances, being part Steel-type. It's popularity is also partially because of the fact that it is one of the few Fire-types that aren't weak to Stealth Rock (Infernape, who's 12th, also isn't), and it's immune to Tyranitar's Sandstream. With Scizor, Lucario, Bronzong and Metagross being very popular, Heatran's STAB Fire-type moves come in very handy. It's also got a unique Speed stat, which is very useful in competitive battling (Shaymin-S, Garchomp, Deoxys-E, Infernape, Gyarados and others also have unique Speed stats, making them very popular).

And for the bulky waters, I can show you what most people do to them.

88&#37; of Swampert hold Leftovers.
    46% of Swampert are Relaxed, 24% are Impish and 11% are Adamant.
    85% have Earthquake, 58% have Stealth Rock, 50% have Roar, 46% have Ice Beam, 33% have Waterfall, 23% have Surf, 17% have Avalanche, 12% have Curse, 12% have Rest, 11% have Stone Edge, 9% have Hydro Pump and 9% have Sleep Talk.

78% of Suicune hold Leftovers, 17% of them hold a Life Orb and 2% of them don't hold an item!
    55% of Suicune are Bold, 27% are Timid, 14% are Modest and 2% are Calm.
    95% of Suicune have Surf, 91% have Calm Mind, 63% have Ice Beam, 40% have Rest, 39% have Hidden Power Electric, 25% have Roar, 19% have Sleep Talk and 16% have Substitute.

92% of Vaporeon hold Leftovers.
    76% of Vaporeon are Bold and 10% of them are Calm.
    90% of Vaporeon have Surf, 86% have Wish, 50% have Ice Beam, 49% have Protect, 44% have Hidden Power Electric, 17% have Toxic, 14% have Baton Pass, 13% have Roar, 9% have Acid Armor, 9% have Substitute and 6% have Yawn.