Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: ~Shipping Authors' Café~

OH MY GOSH SOMEONE REVIVED THE THREAD

Ah, a love triangle, or an actual threesome? I believe I've done neither, maybe. If I ever did (most likely a love triangle), it was a one-sided love for one of the characters. But this was years ago, and I don't believe I ever put the story in question online at all, so...

Well, actually, I do kinda have a story in mind where a love triangle was beginning to happen, but I haven't really gone very far with it before I abandoned the story temporarily (I need to revise it badly). It was to focus on one pairing, but I had a character date another character and she found herself liking it, so she was developing a crush for this one guy. The main pairing had of yet to actually develop outside of "Hey, we're neighbors and we work at the same place, okay then", and she wasn't too fond of the guy's grumpy demeanor, so...

Yeah, I haven't really worked with it in a long time. But that's the closest I've gotten to what you're asking for. I don't plan on doing any three-way shippings in the future.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

I don't really mind having threesomes so long as it isn't supposed to be character bashing by giving one party feelings towards another only to be cruelly snatched away by a third party. It isn't limited to this particular community but I've seen many stories labled as advanced/pearl/negai which essentially serves only to bash the female for daring to be attracted to Ash while he cavorts off with Misty leaving her in the dust.

I didn't actually mean a love triangle. Just an actual relationship consisting of three people.
    Pokemon Y Friend Code: 3282-3535-2249

Friend Safari: Pansage, Petilil, Gogoat

As of now, my focus is on Safaris with starters (barring Wartortle and Quilladin), but give me your Safari anyway. Chances are I'll find something interesting.

Wow, okay, so I'm new here and the first thing I check is something related to writing. Figures. :P But omg, I'm so happy that there's actually this sort of thing over here.

Anyway! You're discussing love triangles and threesomes right now. I'm actually okay with love triangles. I've read some well-written ones and once a story is well-written, you can make almost anything work. Almost. I'm a bit skeptical towards those with a character in love with two people, though. I like it better when one is one-sided, because as the famous saying goes, "If you really loved the first, you wouldn't fall in love with the second." But then again, people usually mistake infatuation with love.

As for threesomes, well, I don't know what to make of it. It's just sort of awkward to be in a relationship consisting of three people, and one is bound to feel a little left out. Or maybe that's just me. Still, if I'm going to be in a relationship, I'd like my man to have eyes only for me, thank you very much. xD But since I have a nonexistent love life, I'm meddling with my shippings' love lives instead and oh em gee fangirl!

Well...dead? Revival Herb used.

So, I haven't written any shipping fan fics for an age...and my last one was atrocious (not gonna lie, I'm ashamed of it really).

What should I consider doing if I am to write a fanfic of a shipping? Should I have a look over some other fanfics and revise the good and bad things in those?

(At the minute, my main ship is Contestshipping...so having a look at other shippings might help?)
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

It has risen! For now.

It helps me if I'm thinking on writing a story on a shipping to look at stories, yes, and fan-art also helps at least in my case. Music can do it as well if it reminds you of that particular pairing. But I think the most important thing you can do to help revive that love for that particular shipping and to give yourself ideas is to just say to yourself: "Why do I love this pairing?" If you think about it long/hard enough, you can get ideas and urges. You could even do little doodles and see what comes out from there. And no, you don't have to be an artist to do doodles of your favorite pairing(s).

Though in most cases, it does help to have been exposed to the original source for a while, especially if you're very picky about keeping them in character. Basically, you're trying to get yourself (re)acquainted with them, and what better way to do that than to see them in their natural habitat. Since Contestshipping is teased a lot, it shouldn't be too big a problem. As I have a favorite pairing in which canonically they really don't like each other (or the one doesn't, anyway), I tend to daydream a lot and just experiment with their personalities. One of them stays the same, but the other I can come up with different personalities.

*cough*

So yeah, that's my advice, though it's pretty common. I wouldn't be surprised if many shippers and non-shippers do the above to get ideas for a story. But for the most part, it comes naturally through inspiration or what have you.
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaRegisteel View Post
    Well...dead? Revival Herb used.

So, I haven't written any shipping fan fics for an age...and my last one was atrocious (not gonna lie, I'm ashamed of it really).

What should I consider doing if I am to write a fanfic of a shipping? Should I have a look over some other fanfics and revise the good and bad things in those?

(At the minute, my main ship is Contestshipping...so having a look at other shippings might help?)
    My advise? Don't read the most popular shipping fics of a particular ship. Why? Because they generally tend to bring the best of the characters and you might end up copying them without your knowledge. Give it your own take, listen to some favorite music to get inspiration, watch few AMVs, look at a few fanarts but don't look at the popular fics because you'll end up writing the same. Shipping Discussions are a good source of ideas, you'll find something that can give you an idea.

This is my advise as a reader not an author though. Because I would like original stories than seeing the same cliched story. I mean I am not really lying when I say half of the Contest Shipping fics are the same.

High school drama which involves May going all Tsundere with Drew, while Misty falls in love with Ash, Gary with Leaf, and Paul with Dawn. It's just too repitive I can't handle them anymore even if they are well written.

I like canon fics. Stories that happen in canon. I would like to see May fall in love with Drew during the Johto contests than in some high school

But that's my personal preference.

I also want a Contest Shipping fic where these two absolutely love each other but will have to stomp the other to become a top coordinator. Ah, the dilemma will be beautiful.

<--My tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu
    DRACO NO STOP. DRACO DOWN. DRACO NO FLIRTING WITH ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlerama

FF.Net profile: Here!!
    \

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoflare View Post
    My advise? Don't read the most popular shipping fics of a particular ship. Why? Because they generally tend to bring the best of the characters and you might end up copying them without your knowledge. Give it your own take, listen to some favorite music to get inspiration, watch few AMVs, look at a few fanarts but don't look at the popular fics because you'll end up writing the same. Shipping Discussions are a good source of ideas, you'll find something that can give you an idea.

This is my advise as a reader not an author though. Because I would like original stories than seeing the same cliched story. I mean I am not really lying when I say half of the Contest Shipping fics are the same.

High school drama which involves May going all Tsundere with Drew, while Misty falls in love with Ash, Gary with Leaf, and Paul with Dawn. It's just too repitive I can't handle them anymore even if they are well written.

I like canon fics. Stories that happen in canon. I would like to see May fall in love with Drew during the Johto contests than in some high school

But that's my personal preference.

I also want a Contest Shipping fic where these two absolutely love each other but will have to stomp the other to become a top coordinator. Ah, the dilemma will be beautiful.
    Yeah, I find those school-based fics to be bad. Thanks for the advice!
    Kutie Pie, I thought that would be a good thing too. Thank you.
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

Quote Originally Posted by AquaRegisteel View Post
    Yeah, I find those school-based fics to be bad. Thanks for the advice!
    Kutie Pie, I thought that would be a good thing too. Thank you.
    Not all of them are terrible. For example, I have read a reverse-harem fic on Dawn featuring Kenny, Paul, Riley and many more canon characters as high school students. The concept seems cliched, but the story was splendid. It's a pity that the author lost interest in Pokemon fandom and stopped writing it. I wanted to continue, but I have enough fics on my head already. Besides I can't match up to the author's style or way of writing. My lead heroines tend to be a bit submissive. (Except Misty maybe :x)

The name of the fic is Except Me, the pairings are cliched but it's still a wonderful story if you are a Dawn fan.

<--My tumblr

\

Thanks! Guess I'll look it up when I want. I meant that the ones I read were rather cliché XD
    Either way, I'll have to get around to brainstorming ideas for a fanfic eventually.

-wiggles my fingers and raises this thread from the dead again, kinda.-

So...i'm thinking of starting a fresh fanfiction. The one I was working on before feels choppy and the pacing was off, plus I lost interest half way through and I really didn't plan it out well enough. I want to start off with a new fic, either that or fix my previous one -I can't even remember the link to it anymore-

My problem is I can't choose a ship! I'm torn now between Cafemocha and Pallet. And i'm not quite sure what kinda of plot they would revolve around, i'm much better at writing short 1 offs and not long chapter filled persudo-books. I've never been good at thinking of a conflict, but I want to break that mold. My English teacher this past semester really gave me encouraging words and apparently really liked my writing, and I now have the urge to continue working on my skills and improve. So my main 2 questions are,

- What ship would be more interesting for me to write about. Both aren't too popular around the forums, and while i'm much more comfortable writing for Palletshipping, Cafemocha would give me a chance to break that mold and test new waters, but i'm not sure if either ship is popular enough. All my friends think I should do Pallet, but I kinda want unbiased opinions from people I "don't know".

- Just any list of conflicts for a shippy story, or ways to boost creativity. Also a bit of advice or tips on pacing I always feel like I either put to much detail into something, or not enough detail at all. And while my English teacher told me otherwise, I feel it's a problem.

NNID: Antagonistgreen | 3DS FC: 4727-5570-4170

Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch | Deviant Art | Miiverse
    Palletshipping | Cafemochashipping | Namelessshipping

Congrats from bringing this tread from the dead again Dragoniss.

Well first write a Cafemocha oneshot or drabbles to get yourself comfortable with writing the ship or you could add both ships into your story which can create great conflict between the lovers. With my stories I normally stick with the popular Advance/Contest love stories in mine but lately I'm trying to stick with plain Advance since I too, am trying to break the mold.

When I write a story I always have the ending planned out so whenever you write a new chapter, you have a clear idea where your story will be heading. But make sure your happy with the ending and don't change through your story cause that will make the past chapters have no use. It's your aim to get to that ending and in order for that to happen you need to write scenes that will make that ending possible.

I normally take too long to get started so perhaps I could get some tips from you. xD Well if you think you rush too much write one scene and really focus on that and then the next day write another scene. Or you could get a beta reader to help you with the pacing and letting them have some input into your story. I suggest that the biggest secrets of your story should not be revealed in like three chapters of the story, you want to hold onto that because that could or is the reason your readers is reading your story. Like, character's A past, bad family reputation, why a certain character left them at a young age. If you can drag out things like this, you can tease your readers more by adding a few shippy moments. Also to fill in the 'fillers' until the big reveal of one secret you could add a flashback, a cute family/friend moment. The list is endless.

Or you could write a 3000 words of one scene, but if you do that, that scene has to have some relevance to your future chapters. -Ididthatandnothinggoodhappentothatstory-

Okay I'll stop, I hope that helped.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightjewelz View Post
    Congrats from bringing this tread from the dead again Dragoniss.

Well first write a Cafemocha oneshot or drabbles to get yourself comfortable with writing the ship or you could add both ships into your story which can create great conflict between the lovers. With my stories I normally stick with the popular Advance/Contest love stories in mine but lately I'm trying to stick with plain Advance since I too, am trying to break the mold.

When I write a story I always have the ending planned out so whenever you write a new chapter, you have a clear idea where your story will be heading. But make sure your happy with the ending and don't change through your story cause that will make the past chapters have no use. It's your aim to get to that ending and in order for that to happen you need to write scenes that will make that ending possible.

I normally take too long to get started so perhaps I could get some tips from you. xD Well if you think you rush too much write one scene and really focus on that and then the next day write another scene. Or you could get a beta reader to help you with the pacing and letting them have some input into your story. I suggest that the biggest secrets of your story should not be revealed in like three chapters of the story, you want to hold onto that because that could or is the reason your readers is reading your story. Like, character's A past, bad family reputation, why a certain character left them at a young age. If you can drag out things like this, you can tease your readers more by adding a few shippy moments. Also to fill in the 'fillers' until the big reveal of one secret you could add a flashback, a cute family/friend moment. The list is endless.

Or you could write a 3000 words of one scene, but if you do that, that scene has to have some relevance to your future chapters. -Ididthatandnothinggoodhappentothatstory-

Okay I'll stop, I hope that helped.
    Ah, thank you so much

I've already started working on some drabbles that I might or might not post up, the drabble ideas tag on tumblr is a godsend [most of them end up being a page and I half, I seriously can't write anything that's less than a page, I have no idea why. I think that might be a problem,oh well] I've also been watching a few cafemocha AMV's and watched a few episodes of best wishes again to try and get myself into it.

I did have someone recommend me a three way thing but i'm still torn as to who he should end up with in the end...or if I really screw ash over and make him end up with no one and be forever alone huehuehue. I think I might need to do a bit more research. If nothing else the drabbles will help me decide what I end up choosing in the end. I also like the idea of writing different major scenes and stitching it all together. I think i'll try that out this time around.

Thank you for all the thoughts that are now spinning in my head >w<

NNID: Antagonistgreen | 3DS FC: 4727-5570-4170

Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch | Deviant Art | Miiverse
    Palletshipping | Cafemochashipping | Namelessshipping

Hey guys! First time on this thread, anyway I'd like some advice.

So like, (as cliche as it sounds) I've been thinking about starting a High School AU fic inspired from a post on tumblr, but I know how @.@ they can be (I've tried reading them for myself but I can't. XDDD) I'd like to know where people normally slip up with them and what are the common cliches...so I can avoid them (if possible).
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    Hey guys! First time on this thread, anyway I'd like some advice.

So like, (as cliche as it sounds) I've been thinking about starting a High School AU fic inspired from a post on tumblr, but I know how @.@ they can be (I've tried reading them for myself but I can't. XDDD) I'd like to know where people normally slip up with them and what are the common cliches...so I can avoid them (if possible).
    The curse of the high school fic is upon you my friend. I would tread carefully when stepping into such a common fan fic theme. lol.

First of all with high school fics try to add something original into your story and have some sort of plot, not just write a slice of life story that has no meaning or has nowhere to go. And don't make a character OOC without a good reason. But what really matter is to make the story as interesting as possible because it is a genre that has been written so many times it isn't a genre that will make everyone willing to read it, especially veterans who have been writing for many years. I'm not a fan of high school fics because 90% of the time they are written so horribly. Just making me think of the past ones I read just makes my head hurt.

Common stuff that i've come across is ex: A boy has a bad boy attitude and a girl is the common nice nerd who has just moved into town and she helps him change. Some more would be that there is one girl always mean to the main character girl and is an absolute B...ch. The common group of bullies picking on the couple or one of them. Just pretty much OOC moments that don't fit the certain character are things I consider cliché stuff.
    Last edited by Midnightmoon6o2; 28th July 2013 at 6:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightmoon6o2 View Post
    The curse of the high school fic is upon you my friend. I would tread carefully when stepping into such a common fan fic theme. lol.
    Oh believe me, I was well aware of this when I thought of it. XD I hate High School fanfics but for this anime I started watching, I feel a strange yearning for something light, and happy. I'd love to write something good, and still have witty elements of the show intertwined. It was inspired from a post on tumblr. XD

First of all with high school fics try to add something original into your story and have some sort of plot, not just write a slice of life story that has no meaning or has nowhere to go.
    As for plot, I haven't thought of one. xD I guess because the biggest thing I went through in High School was sort of copy and paste. But after talking with a friend, I was sort of thinking about a slice of life though, but focusing on different students through their endeavors through High. Perhaps not a whole school semester though, one plan was to start during Spring Break and have it go to the end of that term.

Just making me think of the past ones I read just makes my head hurt.
    Me too. XD

Common stuff that i've come across is ex: A boy has a bad boy attitude and a girl is the common nice nerd who has just moved into town and she helps him change. Some more would be that there is one girl always mean to the main character girl and is an absolute B...ch. The common group of bullies picking on the couple or one of them. Just pretty much OOC moments that don't fit the certain character are things I consider cliché stuff.
    I had this whole explanation written but then I looked at your tumblr and realized you watch SNK too. That's it that's the fic. Main pairings is Eren x Armin, Jean x Marco, sprinkled Levi x Eren, Mikasa x Eren, Hanji x Levi. Let's see it'll take place on the tennis courts, mostly. And against the rival team Titans you know that's a given. But it's meant to be more uplifting, and to give a few snickers, rather than something drama heavy. Like for example, I was thinking in one chapter Marco takes a cat to school, because he saw that it was cold and hungry. He gets caught because of Jean's cat allergy. Jean owns a pet fish, and it can play dead well.

Let's see as for Eren x Armin, Armin is his cute-nerdy boyfriend who wears his varsity jacket yeah that was pretty much the basis for this fic.

Hanji is more of the girl who wants Levi to notice her. She's manager of the tennis team and Levi is the coach. One time, she got him a shih tzu. She sprayed it with windex to try and get him to notice her. He didn't like the dog very much, but eventually grew attached to it.

Levi is Eren's idol, so he buys a dog (probably using mikasa and armin's money). He didn't get the same type of dog though, but they promised it was every bit as good. He takes it home and the trio try and decide on a name for it. Eren's insistent on naming it Corporal though it's a girl. They have an interesting dynamic, the dog is nice and friendly toward Armin but bites Eren's face.

I think that's all the ideas I have right now.

I watch SnK but not much, so i'm not that familiar with the characters as of yet. I do like your ideas so far, adding some humour in a high school fic is really a good idea and will make your fic stand out more.

But what main pairing will stand out from the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightmoon6o2 View Post
    I watch SnK but not much, so i'm not that familiar with the characters as of yet. I do like your ideas so far, adding some humour in a high school fic is really a good idea and will make your fic stand out more.
    Aaah thank you! Yeah I want it to be a funny fic the anime is a bit depressing.

But what main pairing will stand out from the rest?
    Eren x Armin. Though, I am thinking about Jean x Marco being just about equal.

So hey guys! Skiyomi and I were talking a while ago about creating a challenge thread. Basically the gist of the thread is to post challenges and/or create challenges as a community. We decided on status updates to be posted here, well, more of a suggestion, and possible even saying you're taking a challenge. We wanted to make a post here to first to see if anyone would be interested, as if this is successful it will really bring some activity back to the shipper's community and help those creative juices to start flowing. So, thoughts? Any brainstorms/ideas for a challenge? Themes?

I look sugary and sweet, but in reality I'm just hollow and rotten.
    Tumblr

I thought there was a challenge thread, or something similar to it in the main shippers forum. I'm probably thinking of something else, though... far as I know, that was the point of the drabbles thread in some cases. Probably just my brain mixing something up. But anyway, sure, a challenge thread would be good, I'm up for it. It may be a sticky thread or a regular thread that can be bumped as long as the challenge is within the challenge thread's rules or something. Is Skiyomi still coming up with the rules for it as we speak, or is everything ready and you just need confirmation?
    I survived Pupa.

I think you're thinking of the ToD KP XD. Anyways yeah, the thread would be stickied here in the shipping fic forums if we do decide to make a thread on it, and she suggested I make this post to see how the community would react first, get some feedback before we start working on it further, and some challenges as well. If all goes well, we'll most likely start ironing out all of the rules and the thread would be up shortly after a certain point. Good to see some interest though!

Tumblr

Two people collab challenge could work. Person A takes role of Ash, person B takes role of Misty. Person A writes an action, creates a situation in Ash's POV. However this scene should be short and not include the reaction of Misty. Person B starts with Misty's reaction and post something. That would be a short version. One could make bigger versions including multi-ships.

For example, I post a challenge in sticky thread : I am writing Pokeshipping in Misty's POV. Then person B comes along and accepts the challenge. The two make a collab fic.

Bigger version: Pearl Shipping, Ikari Shipping. In this case, three people will have to sign up and start the game. The person who starts the challenge makes the thread, and the opening post. He's also responsible for creating the setting. A fourth person (preferably a mod?) can act as the overseer who sees if someone is being extremely unfair like making extremely OOC reactions. Ratings should be maintained by the challenger.

The writers don't need to put much effort into writing. But they should still write very good short scenes.

<--My tumblr

\

Yeah, I was thinking either a stickied thread with a list of challenges for people to try or just editing the first post of the Author's Cafe with a list of challenges. The former has the advantage of being more visible while the latter gives us an easier place to come up with challenges and talk about completing them. So, pros and cons either way. Be glad to hear what you guys think.

But either way, we'd need to get some challenges to use first :P So if you know of any shippy fanfiction challenges, feel free to mention them. Or if you have an idea for one.

Awhile back in the PokeShipping thread I started a 50 Theme challenge for that pair. Not many people winded up trying it, but I've still got the list:

Spoiler:- PokeShipping 50 Theme Challenge:

I've got a 100 theme one for Xellos/Filia that I've been plugging away for the last... 3 years XP But since that's Slayers I'm probably the only one who's interested in it.

Dracoflare, that collab idea is interesting and honestly not something I've thought of before.

I have to agree with Skiyomi on your idea Draco. It could go to any shipping really and the amount of participants or shippings it can span are practically endless. I think if we could come up with a name for that challenge it could be really fun if everyone works on it together. Hmm, a name for that challenge would be good as well, and probably a more cemented rule set as well...

I do like that challenge set Skiyomi, but maybe it could be adapted to fit all ships? I can see a lot of different types of shippings fall into a lot of those different categories, so it would be fun to adapt it, maybe? I can easily come up with a challenge based on Tarot, each drabble corresponding with the major arcana is represents. Hmm, I'll post that in my next post....

There are pros and cons for a separate thread and implementing it into the Author's cafe, I wonder if there is a way to merge the two together in one thread?

Tumblr

The collab thing definitely has potential, though I kinda think there would need to be some limits on it since we don't want it to turn into an RP session. But maybe we could include a list of people looking for collab partners writing for a specific pairing and if someone's interested they could PM them and work something out together? (now that I think of it, that could already be handled to some degree in the fic request thread) I don't work with collabs much, so I'd be happy to hear with someone who has more experience with them.

I think for theme challenges... We could easily make some up that could be fit for any pairing. But I also like the idea of having ones specifically for a certain pairing to highlight their unique traits. Definitely room for some challenges with narrow and some with broad focuses.

There are pros and cons for a separate thread and implementing it into the Author's cafe, I wonder if there is a way to merge the two together in one thread?
    Well, we could have the challenges in the first post here and the title could be edited with a "(Challenge List Inside)" or something to that effect. I could see it working well here, but then again, we wouldn't want it to completely overrun this thread's purpose either.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast