Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 366

Thread: ~Shipping Authors' Café~

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Graduating Class of 2009!
    Posts
    902

    Default

    Popularity of Fanfics:

    They matter, you might want to pretend that they don't, but they do. If your fanfic gets some reviews rather than none, well, it'll make you feel better about your writing,right? Unless, of course, they're all reviews that are helping you improve your writing or basically saying you suck XD;

    I know, personally, that I am more likely to write more of a fanfic if it has some starting reviews. if I post chapter 1, for example, and I get zero reviews, I'm not going to update any more. I know that sounds sad and pathetic, but I write so others can read. Not saying that I don't enjoy writing, because I sure as heck do. But the amount of reviews I get for a fanfic does matter to me~

    I think that the reviews I've gotten for fanfics helped me improve my writing. Just a few examples is like the ever fanfics I've written were not that popular, if anything, they were not popular at all. And there was a reason to that - my writing was crap. Nowadays, I get more views and reviews than before, and I like to think that those reviews helped me improve from like, Pallet Is Mine And So Are You to IP2: Tears of Hope.

    I know a lot of writers like to go and say: Reviews don't matter, I write for fun.
    But I think Reviews have to matter, even a little bit, otherwise, you wouldn't post your fanfics online, no?

    So, how does the popularity of your fanfic affect you?

    One last thing I wanted to say, another thing that has had to have happened at least once, lol.
    Three words. Popular. Crappy. Fanfics.
    Come on, you've all seen them. Those fanfics that make no sense, have the writing of a preschooler, and yet have 10,000 + reviews. Thoughts? I tend to just get annoyed, since there are much, much, MUCH better fanfics out there that hardly ever get noticed because it's not by a popular member or not of a popular ship D:
    ~*Uza-chan's Good bye*~

    IS SUPAH FIIIINE

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    elsewhere
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    ^It think sometimes its natural to feel disappointed about a lack of reviews or feel encouraged because you have a lot. Sure, I write because I love too and it's fun, but I love to get feedback as well to let me know how I'm doing... Again, I think its natural.
    One this site, I rarely ever get reviews because I'm not well-known as a writer. But still, I update anyway for any closet readers out there.
    But on sites like ffn, I sometimes do become discouraged... But I still write anyway, for myself and for, again, those who are reading but not reviewing.

    But ugh, the reason that I sorta stopped writing Contestshipping was because the fics that just seemed really...bad but we're getting a ton of love. Plus, any reviews for CS fics I've written have just been SPAM and not particularly helpful... I once wrote an epic rant about this, but I've pretty much gotten over it.
    Seeing as I tend to stick to more obscure pairings now, the fact that badfics get tons of spammy reviews from people who are just madly in love with the couple doesn't really affect me much anymore...

    d00med n0w

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzamaki Hinata View Post
    One last thing I wanted to say, another thing that has had to have happened at least once, lol.
    Three words. Popular. Crappy. Fanfics.
    Come on, you've all seen them. Those fanfics that make no sense, have the writing of a preschooler, and yet have 10,000 + reviews. Thoughts? I tend to just get annoyed, since there are much, much, MUCH better fanfics out there that hardly ever get noticed because it's not by a popular member or not of a popular ship D:
    Yeah, I know what you mean... Unfortunately, I doubt this is going to change any time soon, as it's just the nature of shipping in general. Popular characters give rise to popular ships which give rise to popular fanfiction, even if it is poorly written. This was sort of a strange transition for me as I went from writing in the regular fanfiction section to this part, and shippers tend to be a lot more forgiving of your writing so long as you're writing about a pair of characters they like.

    On the other hand, shippers have different things they want to have happen in the story. I remember when I first started on Good Love Charm, a few people complained about the lack of shipping early on in the fic, as I was more used to drawing out the backstory and fleshing out the current characters and locales instead of rushing head-first into the fluff (to me, fluff which has had a long build-up is better than instant fluff, if you'd like).

    Popular members tend to have better luck with obscure pairings than a novice would have, particularly in a forum environment. It's as if you almost have to write a mainstream shipping fic in order to be "accepted" as a good enough writer to pull off something different. Of course there are exceptions, but that's just the general view I get.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Renowned Obscurity View Post
    But ugh, the reason that I sorta stopped writing Contestshipping was because the fics that just seemed really...bad but we're getting a ton of love. Plus, any reviews for CS fics I've written have just been SPAM and not particularly helpful... I once wrote an epic rant about this, but I've pretty much gotten over it.
    Yes, both Contestshipping and Advanceshipping used to get some terrible yet strangely popular fics back in the day, as did Pokeshipping in its heyday. The odd exception to this rule is Pearlshipping - I hardly ever see Pearlshipping fics on these forums - good, bad or otherwise, which strikes me as strange since it should (in theory) be a mainstream ship and (though I'm not a Pearlshipper myself) I do think the ship has a lot of potential and things from the anime and movies which could be inferenced to write a captivating story. On the other hand I see a lot of Pearlshipping fanart, so perhaps Pearlshippers just prefer more vivid stuff as opposed to writing, but this is beginning to get off-topic so I'll leave that thought right there.

    In answer to the original question itself, it's an absolute yes: a lack of reviews can be very discouraging, especially when writing a multi-chapter fic (one-shots are different, as I just throw them out there and because they're one-shots their future doesn't hinge on anything). Do I give up on a fic if it has no reviews? No, because I like to finish things that I start, and it is fun to write - I just won't push myself to a deadline or anything like that.

    One thing I like to take note of are fanfic views as opposed to actual replies to the story, as these are usually a good indication of closet readers (many of which may not actually be members of the forum and therefore cannot review), and, in my experience, you get a lot more people reading your fic than replying to it.

    I guess if I had to recommend something to readers, I would definitely say... "Review more!" Reviews encourage the author to continue the story, and they can help the author to understand why you like it. Chances are if you make a well-written review, the author is going to make more of a conscious effort to improve their next chapter (note that a well-written review does not consist of "omg great chapter ash and may are so kawaii update soon!" - a plague of those terrible popular fics we mentioned earlier).
    Good Love Charm
    *COMPLETE*

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    the Reverse World
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    It's a sticky...we can still talk. XD

    Anyway, I wanted to say something on closet readers. They're like ghosts...you kinda know they're there, but then, you don't. The only reason I know I have (many) closet readers for Contest Tie is because one of them contacted me and told me they and their whole group was reading it. And I got a review that way. Otherwise, I don't consider them at all.

    All in all, it's the reviews that keep me going. I have to say, even the decline in reviews is making me nervous, but I'm spoiled, so I can't say much. I just wish I was faster with Contest Tie so that it'd be done before I lose everyone. ^^;;; /personal However, the reviews don't always save fics. I know that sometimes, regardless of the popularity, an author can and will stop should the writing of said fic become a chore. I think that the will to write has to be there first before the fics give it that last push to continue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gazmof
    On the other hand, shippers have different things they want to have happen in the story. I remember when I first started on Good Love Charm, a few people complained about the lack of shipping early on in the fic, as I was more used to drawing out the backstory and fleshing out the current characters and locales instead of rushing head-first into the fluff (to me, fluff which has had a long build-up is better than instant fluff, if you'd like).
    I find that the newbies are more like that. It's just important to keep the romance on top of the fic, above all else...but real shippers know the story is equally important. /will edit later
    Last edited by Encyclopika; 3rd March 2009 at 4:23 PM.
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

    Status: Chaptered | R | Contestshipping | Finished

    Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

    Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Graduating Class of 2009!
    Posts
    902

    Default

    Ok, sppf is acting weird for me @__@

    Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopika View Post
    It's a sticky...we can still talk. XD
    Yay for the power of the sticky~ xP

    Quote Originally Posted by Gazmof View Post
    In answer to the original question itself, it's an absolute yes: a lack of reviews can be very discouraging, especially when writing a multi-chapter fic (one-shots are different, as I just throw them out there and because they're one-shots their future doesn't hinge on anything). Do I give up on a fic if it has no reviews? No, because I like to finish things that I start, and it is fun to write - I just won't push myself to a deadline or anything like that.
    Aah, I don't want my post to sound like I'm a snob or something ;____; I mean, I've seen writers on fanfiction.net say that they weren't going to update the fanfic until they got _______ # of reviews. I don't care how much I get, it's just that, when you get a review, it's encouraging and it encourages you to continue your fanfic :]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Renowned Obscurity View Post
    But ugh, the reason that I sorta stopped writing Contestshipping was because the fics that just seemed really...bad but we're getting a ton of love. Plus, any reviews for CS fics I've written have just been SPAM and not particularly helpful... I once wrote an epic rant about this, but I've pretty much gotten over it.
    omigosh, spam reviews @___@;;; Those are the worst D: Like, I remember I had a few reviews that basically said: I like your fanfic because I like the shipping in it.
    Contestshipping has a lot of spammy reviews, as does Advanceshipping and I'm betting Pokeshipping had its fair share too XD
    It's pretty depressing when the writer spent a lot of time on the fanfic and in the end get's a bunch of: I LUV TIS FIC, CONTESTSHIPPING LOL, DREW IS MINE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopika View Post
    However, the reviews don't always save fics. I know that sometimes, regardless of the popularity, an author can and will stop should the writing of said fic become a chore. I think that the will to write has to be there first before the fics give it that last push to continue.
    *nodnod* I have a good number of reviews for IP2 but I just can't seem to write for it right now D: It really depresses me, because not only am I not finishing this, the readers who've been here from the start won't ever know the ending. That's the thing that kills me the most when I get Writer's Block XD;
    Okay, what I'm in right now, I don't even know. Like, I don't want to call it writer's block because writer's block sounds so... so.. easy. Like it's something that happens every once and a while and if you just ride it out, it'll go away. What I have is not writer's block. Or, maybe it is, but it's an evolved version of it @___@;;; I keep trying to type up the next chapter of my fanfic and everytime I go to it, I just, I dunno, go like: wow, this is really stupid. And I erase all of it and rewrite it, and then I look and go: well, this is even dumber! The saddest part about this evolved version of writer's block is that I've been having it for a while, but I've still forced myself to continue on writing. And guess what? I ONLY HAVE A FEW CHAPTERS LEFT OF MY FANFIC T_____T;;;; How horrible is that? If it wasn't for this writer's block, I could have been done way back in the summer.
    Last edited by Uzamaki Hinata; 3rd March 2009 at 9:10 PM.
    ~*Uza-chan's Good bye*~

    IS SUPAH FIIIINE

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    the Reverse World
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzamaki Hinata
    *nodnod* I have a good number of reviews for IP2 but I just can't seem to write for it right now D: It really depresses me, because not only am I not finishing this, the readers who've been here from the start won't ever know the ending. That's the thing that kills me the most when I get Writer's Block XD;
    Been there. Contest Tie's been going on for almost 4 years, I'm thinking now, and a lot of the readers I had in the past are no longer here. D: I might have 1 or 2 veteran readers that still review. But it's out of our control. Which is probably why I wrote Demons of Metropolis so fast...cuz I really wanted people to see it through. XD
    I had that same problem for a while with my fics (and fanart/artwork on top of it). You shouldn't force yourself, though...for me, it only made it last longer because then you get discouraged and think you've lost your...edge. (Or mojo, or whatever you want to call it). I think that it might be the ending that's giving you trouble because there might be a lot of things you can do with it, or there's something you want to change, but don't know how to change it. At least that's what's going on with me and Contest Tie. We're on the last stretch, they're finally at the Grand Festival, and I don't know how to incorporate Drew's father in it properly (and end it the way I want to) while still making sense and yet not dragging it out or downplaying the actual competition. D: It might be good to make a real, detailed outline of what you want and build from there. That was Demons for me, everything was laid out EXACTLY how I wanted it before I wrote it, which is why it didn't take long to accomplish and I don't think I ran into any major Writer's Block like this. Try it.

    And silly questions but:
    Does anyone pace or walk around for ideas while writing?
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

    Status: Chaptered | R | Contestshipping | Finished

    Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

    Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    elsewhere
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    ...That's like me... I've reached the end pretty much of my very first multi-chaptered fic, a Contestshipping one, but I can't bring myself to finish it. Only like...2 chapters left for it to be completed, but I've pretty much lost interest in it completely. It's been like a year since I've updated too... I hate to discontinue a fic, especially my first, but looking back, I realize it wasn't that great. *sigh* Maybe, just maybe, it will be completed one day...

    Does anyone pace or walk around for ideas while writing?
    Pacing distracts me...like crazy. The only time I ever do that is when I'm on the phone. ^^;;
    Instead, ideas randomly come to me, like when I'm in the shower or something. If I want to think of fic ideas, I usually just relax and try to focus on what I want to write, but still let it come naturally to me.
    If I start to pace, I lose everything and begin to freak out... Which happens often. xD;

    d00med n0w

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A place with snow and cocoa
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Does anyone pace or walk around for ideas while writing?

    All of the time. I do it when I need ideas period. Plug in my iPod and pace around, talking aloud. Helps me concentrate thoughts and stuff. Unfortunately, I do it a little too often that I get distracted quite easily.
    Thanks to Sweet May for the Jun icon on my profile!
        Spoiler:- Claims and Ships and Friend Codes...OYEAK!:


  9. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    3 am
    Posts
    2,885

    Default

    Where has this thread been all my life?


    Does anyone pace or walk around for ideas while writing?

    Hmm... sometimes. I like to talk to myself, though, and sort out my ideas as I go ^^; Yeah, I know how incredibly psychotic that sounds...

    Often times, I find myself walking around, mumbling ideas to myself. It really helps me sort out ideas, decide what to scrap and what to add... and so on and so forth.


    (Yay my incredibly tiny two cents!)
    lord freeza i really need to use the space skype

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    the Reverse World
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Renowned Obscurity
    I hate to discontinue a fic, especially my first, but looking back, I realize it wasn't that great. *sigh* Maybe, just maybe, it will be completed one day...
    I've never discontinued a fic, except for one, for a similar reason. It was an Ikarishipping fic...and I lost confidence in myself after Paul just became too difficult to write the way I wanted. I will pick it back up, just not anytime soon.

    Does anyone pace or walk around for ideas while writing?
    To answer my own question...
    Yes, I do. In fact, I do it sporadically. Like...I'll be in the middle of writing and random get up...though the story is still in my mind. I wander around the house until I have the next few sentences down pat. XD It's been happening a lot during my time writing my next installment of Contest Tie...it's like a forced break. XD
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

    Status: Chaptered | R | Contestshipping | Finished

    Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

    Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,388

    Default

    Does anyone pace or walk around for ideas while writing?

    I don't. before i write i imagine a scene. normally it would be a scene i would really like but before i actually start typeing i would think of more ideas to relate to my idea. right now i have one right now but i don't really know how to end it. lol.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uza-chan
    So, how does the popularity of your fanfic affect you?
    It depends, I prefer writing for writing and would never hold a fic hostage for reviews, but reviews do make it feel worthwhile. It lets you know that someone is reading your fic besides the hit counter. To get constuctive critisism is something I like too, it lets me know what I'm doing wrong and how I can improve.

    Quote Originally Posted by Uza-chan
    One last thing I wanted to say, another thing that has had to have happened at least once, lol.
    Three words. Popular. Crappy. Fanfics.
    Come on, you've all seen them. Those fanfics that make no sense, have the writing of a preschooler, and yet have 10,000 + reviews. Thoughts? I tend to just get annoyed, since there are much, much, MUCH better fanfics out there that hardly ever get noticed because it's not by a popular member or not of a popular ship D:
    That reminds of why     Spoiler:- Warning: if you click you risk losing IQ points:
    was the most popular thing on FF. Well, not exactly, it was more of a bile fasination at the worst fanfic ever than anything from what I saw. But still, it was the most popular thing on the site maybe ever, so what does that say?

    It's horribly annoying though. I know of two fics with a similar plot and one is better wrtten, but the other has way more reviews. I don't get it, and no matter how many times I see it I don't get why people like crud. Just because it has your favorite pairing? That always made me angry that they were butchering a pairing I like. :/

    Quote Originally Posted by Gazmof
    This was sort of a strange transition for me as I went from writing in the regular fanfiction section to this part, and shippers tend to be a lot more forgiving of your writing so long as you're writing about a pair of characters they like.
    Which is frustrating as I said, why doesn't bother them if the ship they like and the characters in the fic only resemble each other in name? Do they really just care about them getting together? (Why do ask questions I already know the answer to? >>

    Popular members tend to have better luck with obscure pairings than a novice would have, particularly in a forum environment. It's as if you almost have to write a mainstream shipping fic in order to be "accepted" as a good enough writer to pull off something different. Of course there are exceptions, but that's just the general view I get.
    It is to me too. :/

    To fan fic readers, do you treat fan fics like a book you would read?

    In a way, it depends on how it was was written. Some fanfictions when written a certain way can read like books, but that's the exception rather than the rule. Otherwise I tend to read them like episode sympnosis.

    When you are reading, what else do you do besides reading? Do you try and imagine the story? Are you listening to music or do you feel the actions coming out the screen?

    I imagine the story playing out in my head like television, but that's always been the case when I read stories. Especially for fanfics, I imagine like an episode with the characters voices and everything. It's just the way I do it.

    Does anyone pace or walk around for ideas while writing?

    I do that before writing. :P I try to imagine everything in the plot before I begin to write, even talking out some of the dialougue just before I write the first word, just to make sure it makes sense. I know that sounds weird ^ ^; but it helps. I don't get stuck as bad when I have it sort of planned out. And a line that pops into your head and sounds good one moment can sound really bad when you say it to yourself the next.
    Last edited by Yoshi-kun; 10th May 2009 at 10:50 AM.
    Finally free til the 17th
    Now if my computer will cooperate...




    My fics


  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In my own world.
    Posts
    20

    Cool

    When you are reading, what else do you do besides reading? Do you try and imagine the story? Are you listening to music or do you feel the actions coming out the screen?
    I do all three. I always try to imagine the story, if I can’t then the fic or whatever isn’t worth reading, at least not to me. Because I come from a loud family if I don't have the music in the back round, I can't concentrate without something to help tune them out. Plus I normally put on music that is in sync with the mood of the story...Which helps me out with making the actions come out of the screen.

    Does anyone pace or walk around for ideas while writing?
    No, I read. Then what ever I am reading about normally gets transformed into a scene of my story. But I never read an other story that has any of the charactors of my story in the other one.(Does that make any sense?) Or one random thought that the book made me think of usally twists around my brain untill I get annoyed enough to write it down. :P

    I have two questions...
    1) Who sleeps in; May or Drew, or is it neither? For example, does May wake up bright and early then proceeds to annoy Drew till he wakes up, or does Drew wake up, let May sleep till when ever she wakes up, then tease her about it later.
    And 2) Does May run fast? For example, some one is a head of her--she runs--then complains to whoever she just caught up to untill he/she/it agrees to stop and wait for her to catch her breath, or does she start the races and leave everbody behind.
    Hollypaw
    Contestshippers rock! Advance shipping will be eliminated!!

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    On an island somewhere :3
    Posts
    12

    Default

    i love writing fics and i have like 50 of them on my computer (maybe not thaaat many), and i finish them usually, but i just get so nervous and never post them anywhere cus im scared they suck and i just havent realized it yet >.<......... im so pathetic T_T
    advice, people??

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    the Reverse World
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    Never be worried about posting your fics here. I have to say all of our more respected reviewers (the ones that don't spam XD) are excellent at what they do and don't discourage. Please do post - both of you! :3
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

    Status: Chaptered | R | Contestshipping | Finished

    Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

    Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Under the roof
    Posts
    164

    Default

    I'm back. Oh, i'm late! Okay, here's my unwanted two cents.

    1. Reviews > Okay, I've read other's posts about reviews and they are right. To me, a good review is a helpful review, which consists of at least two or three comments, whether positive or negative. I'm not saying that a good review must be full of critiques or praises. TBH, I don't like a review with only my mistakes and criticism. Yes, it might be helpful to me but it's desperately discouraging. I've ever received a comment full of critiques when i just started writing a shippy fic in other forum. As much as it was needed, i dislike it. Like undead_soul said, it really can make the author lose hopes. I was also nearly gave up until a friend of mind cheered me up. And of course, i dislike reviews consisting all praises. It perks the author up, but it's not helpful.
    Myself, I tend to leave a review with more positive points than negative points, especially when i'm reviewing a newbie's fic. Like C.Gholy, I try to be as polite as possible when dealing with a bad fic. I usually point out the negative sides without any insults or bad language, cuz i've experienced it. It really hurts when someone review your fic with insults here and there Besides not making the author lose hopes, I also can avoid to be accused for flaming
    I also hate it when someone reviews just to ask when will the next chapter come out. We all have our own life to run. You wouldn't like it if you're the author.

    2. Plot
    Be creative. There are a lot me ideas waiting for you to find out. Yes, you still can use common plots, but make it as creative as possible. "Misty meets Ash after ten years then confessed and kissed. End of my great story." is not a great plot. Add some difference, such as Ash meets Misty again because he was late for the train, or somewhat. You know, you even can get ideas when you eat! (at least, that's how i got my ideas XD)
    Don't afraid to try something new. Maybe you're an avid advanceshipper, but it does no harm if you try to write other ships, such as pokeshipping or ikari. It's fun, really! Myself, I'm a contestshipper, but I won't mind trying tensionshipping, cookieshipping or breedershipping. I suggest try a oneshot first when you're trying to write a different ship. If it's working well, then you could continue it!
    Be realistic, too. It's impossible to make Ash suddenly knocks out twenty strong bandits with his one hand or make Misty afraid of water. O_o

    3. Cure for the laziness! >_>
    Wow, you have a similar problem with me! It also often occur to me. I know what i wanna write but i just couldn't type it into words. When i sit in front of my computer, i just stare at the blank screen with my hands probably rubbing my temples or scratching my head. If that happens, though, I listen to music. Well, yes, instrumental works just right.

    4. Song fic. I agree with Encyclopika, the story should portray the song. Know MV? It's the video for a song if you buy a CD or album. Song fic is like MV, except it's written. When writing a song fic, i often portray the characters did what i write in a television while i'm watching. The words and sentences shouldn't be all the same with the lyric, cuz it's boring. But it's only my opinion, though.

    5. Popularity. For me, it does really affect the amount of reviews. I've seen popular members with their fics had a lot of reviews. I'm not bashing or flaming but honestly, a lot of those are SPAMs. Many reviewer reviewed just to make the author know them, but she/he doesn't really enjoy the fic(especially if the writer is a veteran). I'm not popular here so the reviews i got ain't that much. But seriously, it doesn't really matter to me because i write mostly for my own enjoyment and closet readers. Muahahaha.

    Answers for C.Gholy:
    1. Depends. When I'm reading a chaptered fic, and a great one, then I do. But I like oneshots more cuz chaptered fics tend to have too much plot development which make the fic becomes complicated.
    2. I always imagine the characters in a big screen like in movies (it happens when i'm writing as well). That's why descriptions are needed in a fic. We're not reading descriptions, but imagining them.

    Answer for Encyclopika: No. Ideas run away when I tried to. Yes, I've tried several wrong, a lot of weird methods to improve my ideas, such as listening to music, eating biscuits, walking around, playing games and tidying my room(is 'tidying' a word?). So far, i found that listening to music and tidying my room work the best. Beside ideas, i can find my missing things too! and ah, yes, i got my ideas when i'm in the toilet, too! XP


    Rafe from Destiny Deoxys is my hot bishie, YOOHOO!

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Thinking a little bit about writing an Advanceshipping fic once I get the time to (lack of time has been the demise of my other fics), so I should probably start posting here.

    To fan fic readers, do you treat fan fics like a book you would read?

    It really depends on the genre of what I'm reading for me. If I'm reading a trainer fic or something like that, it's hard to think of it as a single book just because they tend to go on and on without an ending in sight. With others, I typically try to read them as if they were a book or a series, unless they fall into the pattern of what I mentioned above. With the few fanfics I've read here, I try to picture them as books or short stories.

    When you are reading, what else do you do besides reading? Do you try and imagine the story? Are you listening to music or do you feel the actions coming out the screen?

    This is weird, because I really don't listen to music much, but lately I've been just about incapable of writing without either a movie soundtrack or a Billy Joel song playing. While this is going on, I try to either sketch out the scenes (badly) on paper while I'm writing, or if I don't have access to paper, I try to picture the scenes in my head as if it were a movie.

    Does anyone pace or walk around for ideas while writing?

    Not while in the actual writing stage, but whenever I do something mindless like taking a shower or going for a walk, I always end up thinking of fic ideas.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    660

    Default

    Hello, everyone!

    I almost feel I don't belong here. Most of my writing is funneled into roleplaying, leaving me with few ideas for fanfiction.

    Still, since I've just posted my first fanfic in a while (hey, it's a step up from posting only a single fic every year the way I used to ^^;; ), a Curtainshippy one-shot, well, why not?

    So, I hope you'll accept me and don't mind my intrusion!

    Does anyone pace or walk around for ideas while writing?

    Oh, God, this is definitely me.

    Then again, I normally pace. I have a hard time keeping still anyway, so while I pace, my mind whirrs and I get plenty of ideas! So I suppose that's a "yes." <3

  19. #69
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    365

    Default

    :O. Hello everyone! I only just started posting here, and I've never done anything with shipping before, so I'm new to all of this. I only recently started a shipping fic (I'm still working on the first chapter though, only the prologue's up) because I saw a couple on the internet and I REALLY liked it. :P. I have a question for you writers though...

    How much of the plot do you come up with in your head before actually writing the story?

    I've been wondering about that for a while now, as I only think up of a little bit of the plot and then see where it goes from there. I usually get my ideas while doing everyday things and they come randomly, so I get bored of waiting for them and start writing what I've thought of already. So I'm interested to hear what everyone else does.

    To answer one of the topics here:

    Does anyone pace or walk around for ideas while writing?

    Not really, generally ideas come to me while doing everyday things (like I said before), when I'm organizing something, or when I'm working (because it's so boring and I start to think about a lot of stuff). I also think a lot at night, and usually write best at night as well. So most of the time I write in the middle of the night. :3.
    Yeah, I left Serebii.
    If you really need to find me, I'll be on my deviantArt.
    And my MSN is flurriedrains@live.com.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    the Reverse World
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    How much of the plot do you come up with in your head before actually writing the story?
    Everything. I will know how the story ends before I type word one, and I will know how it gets to that spot.
    I think it's more practical to do it that way, because then, as you write in the details, you can then start to think about more professional elements, like foreshadowing, that you can't really grasp unless you know beforehand what's going to happen. Though I've had story outcomes change differ from the originals, the basic ending elements are already there.
    When it came to Demons of Metropolis, I went very far into this, and not only planned the whole story, but also each individual chapter. Even details were sorted out and passed through an inspection to make sure they sounded and worked right.
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

    Status: Chaptered | R | Contestshipping | Finished

    Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

    Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

  21. #71
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    The Giant Mitten
    Posts
    4,506

    Default

    BUMP 8D

    YES SIZE 7 FONT, WHICH MEANS THIS IS IMPORTANT! lol, seriously guys, please take what I am about to into consideration. <3

    As you may or may not know, there are many newbies around here who need help with their fan fics. Not only that, but there are newbies that need help with reviewing. If you see a story or review that breaks the rules, reply to them and help them out! Take them under your wing! This is not mandatory by any means, but if any of you guys have time it would be a great thing. Also, new writers and reviewers, POST HERE. There are many writers/reviewers willing to help you out! You could learn a thing or two from this thread, I'm sure.

    Ok, that's all I wanted to say. Thank you for reading. =]

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    CYBER STALKER!
    Posts
    371

    Default

    I love writing my fic and thinking of idea's for it but...
    You see I'm weird, I'm like really self consious and don't like being embarrassed or not good enough. Well, with my Fanfic Paper Cuts I think because no one will review it's not good enough. My last one I deleted because it had one review and I thought it was complete crap. So should I be worried because it has no reviews? Does that mean it's bad?
    You know what? I'm gone, I really don't even like Pokemon that much anymore (At all, it's getting kind of boring.) And I'm sad to say I'll miss my bestie Mawile412 and GPT and MM and T&T and Fango, because you were all great friend ;_;
    I wont come back ever and I know about the rule change for the game section, and it saddens me; it used to be so much fun, Degrassi, Pokecity, Pokeplace, all of them that I've participated in....
    GG has now graduated from Serebii, I love you all.
    Goodbye...
    (P.S :: I swear, leave Lilly alone, don't be mean to her or I'll eat you, she's my bestie after all~)

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    the Reverse World
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    I can tell you by sheer experience that few reviews doesn't always mean you're producing crap. Review counts run on a few things:

    .Who wrote the fic
    .The ship
    .Timing

    Those three things can also predict WHO, down to the specific members, will review. Good writing, grammar, etc. only guarantees you good reviews, while a good plot coupled with it will bring you returning readers for further chapters.

    Timing is something I'd like to point out, as well. Like any community, the shipping section goes through trends. What was popular during Hoenn (Contestshipping, Advanceshipping, Harley ships, etc.) may not be so popular now in Sinnoh (Dawn ships), the era of Neo Johto (Katone) or what was awesome 5 years ago (Pokeshipping BULK, Rocketshipping, Palletshipping). Sometimes you'll find that a ship is timeless, like Pokeshipping - and people will continue to write it and receive copious amounts of reviews.
    You may also find that a newbie can write a beautiful story about ArchiexMaxie and succeed for the sheer LOLz of it, which is where the "what ship" category comes in and disrupts the time period.
    And finally, it depends on who wrote it. Legendary writers are going to naturally attract more review and reading because they're known for and trusted to write amazing plot.

    So don't fret if your story is not getting the feedback you think it deserves. These 3 limits are out of your control.
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

    Status: Chaptered | R | Contestshipping | Finished

    Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

    Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    660

    Default

    Aha, especially pairings. xD;

    Totally agreed with Encyclopika.

    Of course, it doesn't mean one should only write popular pairings, you should write what you like, but don't expect many reviews. If you're writing for reviews, though, I suppose popular's best. ^^;

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,130

    Default

    A lot of people read fics and enjoy them but just don't tend to leave reviews either out of laziness or the fact that they don't feel that they can articulate their opinion in an intelligent way.

    I mean, I know I've been guilty of that in the past (though I try not to do it anymore). And all you have to do is look at story stats on ff.net (which feed my control freak need for information) to see that.

    ...At least, that's what I tell myself.

    What do you guys think of writing on a concrete schedule?

    I was always against schedules, giving some kind of "creative flow" excuse or something. I decided to actually try out a schedule on the fic I started back in November and now I'm a total believer. I'm not only keeping to my schedule, but more often then not I'm actually ahead. That... has not happened before to say the least XD

    Then again, I'm the kind that tends to need a dead-line to get things done, so I suppose it depends on what kind of person you are.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •