Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: ~Shipping Authors' Café~

Quote Originally Posted by Jerda Foks
    Encyclopika, have you ever tried having several projects going at once to solve your writer's block. And by that, I mean totally different subjects for said projects. You know, write a pokemon fic, get writer's block, turn to your own material, get writer's block, turn to a different fic...etc. This helps tons, as does listening to music while you write.
    I am the master at having multiple projects. I used to write multiple fics at a time, but I don't normally do that anymore. I've been writing my Dethklokshipping fic for a while, but during it, I took a break, and wrote some Borra, which was only a oneshot. As far as writing goes, I only have the Dethklok, but I have many art projects going on (about 3, though one's on hiatus for a bit).
    And listening to music doesn't do it for me - it distracts me way too much. I've found the best thing I can do is wait for a large bout of inspiration and then spend it on writing this fic, like I did today. 8 pages in a day = new chapter finally. XD I think now that I got this chapter out of the way, I can be better at getting it done.
    I've found that certain scenes, if I haven't completely worked them out beforehand, usually give me writer's block. .__.;
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

I'm stuck in writers block for continuing my own fic [Through the Generations] so Imma stalk here a little while. Generally most of my issues stem from I have these huge ideas plotwise, but nothing to fill the gaps between them.

Any anyone following my posts around the shipping section, I clearly have preference towards non-anime pairings [i.e. manga/game pairings], as well as femXfem ships. Which I guess is why I always find maleXfem/maleXmale ships a little harder, hence why I am trying to include every combination into my current fic.

To answer another one of the little discussions mentioned earlier this page; I couldn't really say that I'm not a fan of academy fics, as in some ways Through The Generations technically is, just more 'real world'ish.

I also am never sure about beta readers, I mean, some fics I've read do seem to need it, but when I re-read my own works I try my best to read them subjectively to essentially beta-read my own work [not best idea but i do tend to make a lot of changes anyway so I feel I did the job well enough].
    Through the Generations
    my multiple pairings Shipping-fic.
    Currently On Hiatus and will be coming back to at some point: Gen 1, Chapter 5

hey there; I'm in the process of writing my first ever Pokemon shipping fic (woohoo). So with that, I have a few questions and I want to know if i ask here or somewhere else?
    岩根雅明=♡

^Just ask here! We'll be happy to answer your questions. P.S What shipping is it?

Anyways, some of you may have seen the "What do you consider a hint?" thread in the Shippers Community. I am here to ask you a question related to that.

How do you incorporate hints into your writing?

Looks like a funny question...but basically, where in your story do you put them in, and what type of atmosphere do you add hints into? Do you add hints into a happy atmosphere, or do you add them into a sad atmosphere, or an angry atmosphere?
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

Quote Originally Posted by AquaRegisteel View Post
    ^Just ask here! We'll be happy to answer your questions.
    A couple of questions: when the characters kiss, can I say in the story what it feels like to them? Even touching? Also what if there's another couple in the story? And do age differences matter? Like the Rocket executives don't have ages so can I say that they are 16/17? (since two of the guys are going to be in this universe?)

P.S What shipping is it?
    mindlessshipping ; it isn't well known but I wanted to pick up two years after that incident.
    Last edited by はるひ; 27th July 2012 at 9:10 PM.
    岩根雅明=♡

I like to think my 'hints' are both obvious and secretive, i.e. at the time it might not be obvious, but once the 'hint' is revealed, you'd look back and notice it straight away
    Through the Generations
    my multiple pairings Shipping-fic.
    Currently On Hiatus and will be coming back to at some point: Gen 1, Chapter 5

Quote Originally Posted by Gothitelle K View Post
    A couple of questions: when the characters kiss, can I say in the story what it feels like to them? Even touching?
    Well, not "say", per se, but if you want to show us what they're feeling while kissing and touching, go right on ahead. Just try not to go overboard with it, it's very easy to make it too mushy and cheesy--especially if all you know about kissing is what you see on TV and other people never kissed anyone here.

Also what if there's another couple in the story?
    If there's another couple, show us their relationship. If you're focusing a scene on them, and they do kiss, go right ahead. But as they may not be the main characters, and thus not the main shipping, their own intimate scene may need to be softened a little, because... well, they're not the focus focus.

And do age differences matter? Like the Rocket executives don't have ages so can I say that they are 16/17? (since two of the guys are going to be in this universe?)
    It shouldn't... but if you want to bring it up as an issue in the story, go ahead. I don't feel I have a right to say with this particular question, but you should ask a few more people this for their say on it.

You talking about hints of the shipping we're writing about?

I incorporate it through a lot of moments, I personally find it easily flexible. It can be when the two are alone and their feelings are clashing against each other and it's showing through their emotions/actions; it could be discussed in a group of people (teasingly or otherwise) and the two react to it in some way; if the moment's focusing on one character and they happen to think about the other person, they dwell on it... there's a lot I can do with showing hints. It just depends on where it can be called upon to add some emotion to the scene. It can be in any atmosphere, and can be effective or disastrous depending on how it's handled.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

I was just thinking...I have an idea for my plot, but I'm unsure how to introduce the main pivot of the story (Oneshot, tbh). Anyone had this problem, where you haven't an idea of how to introduce the thing that a chapter or Oneshot revolveds around without confusing the readers?
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

You talking about how to set up the plot through introduction? Oh yeah, numerous times (had one with my recent one-shot). The introduction in my opinion is your more important aspect of a story. It's the introduction that'll draw in readers. Usually the exposition is this, where you introduce the main characters, the setting, and you slide right into the rising action where the problem--or the plot--is introduced. The two can intertwine. You fail at doing this, you fail at getting readers. That's not to say that a failure of a climax is acceptable, as it's the main action in the story (and thus should be the most important), but whether your climax rocks or not, if you want readers, you must make sure your introductions will draw them in. The beginning and the end of the story are always the hardest to write, honestly. You know how they say that when you write a joke, you start with the punchline first? You do the same with written stories, usually. But for the most part, you come up with an idea, and you plot out how to get to that idea, and then end the idea.

Writing's complicated like that. I'm sure Jax would explain this LOADS better about why the introduction needs the most attention and care, but I don't think she comes near this part of Serebii, so... yeah.
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

I also had an idea for my plot as well but I'm having a hardtime putting it down. Basically, I'm trying to base of on an moment in Heartgold/Soulsilver to where the female Team Rocket grunt was telling you, the player, that she thinks Proton is this and that and how she thinks he's cool and that he's all she needs. Well, I am trying to make it to that that when he sees that Team Rocket has come back in the Unova reigon (well the team was recreated by that same girl with her friend and they have renounced their criminal ways and wanted Team Rocket to be a detective agency) and sees that same girl (because yes he remembers her), he wants to meet her.

Bad plot but can it be doable?
    岩根雅明=♡

Any plot is doable, it just depends on how it's handled, though we won't know until it's finished. It sounds simple enough that it can work, you just have to keep in mind the characters and the setting it takes place in. Perhaps Proton doesn't know her name, she was a Grunt, right? I don't think the executives cared too much about the Grunts' names. If he does recognize her, would he really care? Unless the two had something going on, if you really want the two to end up together somehow, you need to make this believable between the characters. I don't know too much about Proton, but I think he was more interested in his job than anything else. At the time, he probably didn't think about relationships, so to discover this girl who worked for him was and still is infatuated with him, perhaps it would trigger something in his head. Or he still has a loyalty to Team Rocket and is only interested in that until he gets to know her better.

Who knows, this is all you. It sounds interesting, but you can easily mess this up if you're not careful. So go ahead and write it out, we can make a proper judgment when it's completed.
    I survived Pupa.

At least that plot isn't as complicated as some of the plots I've seen around here...

Proton being focused on his work could lead to the girl persuading him to "go out" somewhere, and he eventually complies? Sounds like a great way to get a shipping fic underway...

EDIT: Cliché idea about Drew cheating on May underway! Might try and twist things up and attempt a multi-chaptered story...I'll see. Maybe first chapter could be the initial event, and the argument that ensues...followed by the other chapters being the aftermath/depression/solution/rejection/solution/solved layout...
    Last edited by AquaRegisteel; 29th July 2012 at 2:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Any plot is doable, it just depends on how it's handled, though we won't know until it's finished. It sounds simple enough that it can work, you just have to keep in mind the characters and the setting it takes place in. Perhaps Proton doesn't know her name, she was a Grunt, right? I don't think the executives cared too much about the Grunts' names. If he does recognize her, would he really care? Unless the two had something going on, if you really want the two to end up together somehow, you need to make this believable between the characters. I don't know too much about Proton, but I think he was more interested in his job than anything else. At the time, he probably didn't think about relationships, so to discover this girl who worked for him was and still is infatuated with him, perhaps it would trigger something in his head. Or he still has a loyalty to Team Rocket and is only interested in that until he gets to know her better.

Who knows, this is all you. It sounds interesting, but you can easily mess this up if you're not careful. So go ahead and write it out, we can make a proper judgment when it's completed.
    Yeah he didn't know her name but he did recognize her from when he saw Team Rocket on tv. At that point not only did he want to reunite with his team (which now turned good, just a few people who did) he wanted to meet her and get to know her better. Ever since then he wanted to meet her (plus Petrel gives him tips. guy code lol)
    岩根雅明=♡

Quote Originally Posted by AquaRegisteel View Post
    Cliché idea about Drew cheating on May underway! Might try and twist things up and attempt a multi-chaptered story...I'll see. Maybe first chapter could be the initial event, and the argument that ensues...followed by the other chapters being the aftermath/depression/solution/rejection/solution/solved layout...
    I don't really see Drew as a cheater, although I wrote a story on the myself XD (*ahem* hypocrite) Sometimes, writers just want to write cliches every once in a while XD I want to read it, as long as it's realistic and not that she suddenly forgives him or it's the girl who pushed herself on him...

My procrastination has been really bad lately D: I've just started a fic request even though I took the job so long ago. I also have another request and I promised my readers a new chapter and now I'm late. New question: How do you writers stay focused? X_X
    ~Kat

Check out my Tumblr post for different accounts: http://katspearl.tumblr.com/post/320643625...ro-2-meeeeeeeee

I'm an optional author for the Fic Request Shop. I'm working on http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpos...&postcount=198 and http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpos...&postcount=293

CURRENTLY WORKING ON: Over the Edge and The Reality Show
    (Sorry, I don't know how to make a banner)

Also, to cure my writer's block, here's a two-shot: It's Better to Have Loved

~SNIIIIVYYY!!

As a comment, I find most cheating stories to be one-sided. :=/
    岩根雅明=♡

Quote Originally Posted by Gothitelle K View Post
    As a comment, I find most cheating stories to be one-sided. :=/
    Yeah, I can agree with that. I also see it as biased unless the plot is actually good, and that the cheating isn't glorified. Not that I don't want the cheated on boy/girlfriend/spouse to just forgive the cheater and let it go, or that the cheater ends up with the one he's having an affair with, no. Having an affair needs to be taken seriously, and as close to realistic as possible (my preference, really). Is the cheater sorry for what he/she did? What about the person they're having an affair with? Was it just for a one-night stand? Does he/she actually fall in love with this person? Was it for different intentions altogether? What about the other person, the boy/girlfriend/spouse who was cheated on? What are their thoughts? Do they want a break-up/divorce, a separation? Are they questioning their relationship? What, exactly?

A story that involves an affair needs both sides of the ordeal. Both participants involved need to have their say, their side of the story. We need options laid out for us to decide who to root for, if we should feel sorry for these people, or be disgusted with them. And questions need to be answered. "Why did the person have an affair?" is usually the big one. But it can't be biased unless a character is biased, but for what reason? What are they biased against? I don't believe I read a story, let alone a fan fic, where the affair was justified, but I'm fairly certain it's out there somewhere. This subject may be classified under "sensitive", and because of that, we cannot have the story be biased unless there is good reason, like a point the author is trying to make. In stories like this, we need the full story, and that involves at least three characters: the person having the affair, the person whom he or she is having an affair with, and the person who has been cheated on.

(Guess there could've been a better way to write that out...)

Anyhoo, to the new question:

How do you writers stay focused?

Uh... music helps at times for me, but for the most part, I have to keep reminding myself, "Hey, don't stop! Don't start opening up browsers! Get writing!" It's a hit-or-miss for me, but at this moment in time, that's what I've been doing. So... *shrugs*
    I survived Pupa.

Also my problem with cheating stories is that it's usually the males who cheat and the girls are innocent. And some writers would even make the girls violate privacy like go through their bags etc; I think it's wrong but my mind goes different places when it comes to cheating.

BTW I got to write my first ship fic
    岩根雅明=♡

Right now I'm having trouble on staying focused on a fic request that I have to write (doesn't help that I don't like said request's ship nowadays X_X), but I've recently found that daydreaming about the fic helps. Yep, daydreaming. It just keeps me thinking about the fic, and sometimes helps with coming up with new ideas about how it should go... Daydreaming has helped me fill in the little holes within the plot, kinda.

Speaking of which... I have this idea about an Alder x Cynthia fic (Alder will be a lot younger than he's supposed to be, and Cynthia older, hehe) where Alder loses his house in a fire and has to move in with Cynthia, the only person willing to take him in, for a while, until he buys a new house. It's very vague at the moment, but I've kinda got the urge to write a crack-ish shipping fic, and I'm hoping that this will turn into something. Anyone willing to help?

I listen to music that fits the mood of something I want to write. I've been listening to Emile Sande's song, My Kind Of Love because it makes me think of some shippings that I'm writing about.

@Flamemistress how old are you planning on making Alder and Cynthia? Why is Cynthia the only person willing to take him in. Why not his family? Does it have something to do with his starter dying so many people lost respect for him?

☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

I play games for me to focus. I know your probably thinking WTF but take my current fic for example; it circulates around an interaction that happened in the games, so playing it makes me focused on the story itself.

EDIT: you can change ages?
    Last edited by はるひ; 4th August 2012 at 9:37 PM.
    岩根雅明=♡

Quote Originally Posted by C.Gholy View Post
    @Flamemistress how old are you planning on making Alder and Cynthia? Why is Cynthia the only person willing to take him in. Why not his family? Does it have something to do with his starter dying so many people lost respect for him?
    1) Late-20s to early-30s for Cynthia, mid-30s or thereabouts for Alder. Uh... Forget about the fact that he's supposed to have a grandson! Beauty and the best relationships happen IRL!
    2) Well, I'm going to say that Alder doesn't have any relatives left, and that Alder is good friends with Cynthia, and since she has a house in Unova as well, so she's quite willing to let him live with her for quite a while (though only after Alder pleads with her =p).

The thing is, I have no idea what to do with the plot, so... yeah =| Don't think I'm going to get far on it.

I also want to ask here; is it true that with shipping fics there just some stories that's a no go because of the ship? I don't want it to think that it's true for the ship I'm doing, ESPECIALLY since the guy I'm shipping is shipped with other people...
    岩根雅明=♡

It depends on a user's personal taste. Someone who dosen't like yaoi or yuri isn't going to rush to read a palletshipping fic. But if you want to make a fic with a different kind of ship, I'd say go for it. Obscure pairings needs more love in our fandom.

☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

It's not so much tastes, it's so much "is the character even shipable?"
    岩根雅明=♡

I'm thinking of experimenting with three-way shippings, and I'm curious to know: has anyone ever tried to write for a ship with three characters? If so, how do you go about establishing it?
    Pokemon Y Friend Code: 3282-3535-2249

Friend Safari: Pansage, Petilil, Gogoat

As of now, my focus is on Safaris with starters (barring Wartortle and Quilladin), but give me your Safari anyway. Chances are I'll find something interesting.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast