Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: ~Shipping Authors' Café~

Here's the Tarot Challenge. Would love to see two different sets where it's taken literally by the name, and then by the meaning of the cards

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Skiyomi View Post
    The collab thing definitely has potential, though I kinda think there would need to be some limits on it since we don't want it to turn into an RP session. But maybe we could include a list of people looking for collab partners writing for a specific pairing and if someone's interested they could PM them and work something out together? (now that I think of it, that could already be handled to some degree in the fic request thread) I don't work with collabs much, so I'd be happy to hear with someone who has more experience with them.
    Agreeing on this. Anyone with really good experience on collabs would be useful right now .-.

I think for theme challenges... We could easily make some up that could be fit for any pairing. But I also like the idea of having ones specifically for a certain pairing to highlight their unique traits. Definitely room for some challenges with narrow and some with broad focuses.
    Hmm, maybe if we do decide on doing the thread, maybe we could have sections like "General", "PokeShipping", etc. etc. it would really fit in that idea.

Well, we could have the challenges in the first post here and the title could be edited with a "(Challenge List Inside)" or something to that effect. I could see it working well here, but then again, we wouldn't want it to completely overrun this thread's purpose either.
    That's where I do think its own thread would fit better. Since if we incorporate it into the cafe I feel like the cafe's original purpose would slowly start to fade away and be forgotten. Discussion and creation of challenges would make more sense in the thread, but I don't think that advertisements would be good, but occasional status updates? We still need to iron this part out, since like you said, each option has it's pros and cons.

My humanity will corrode away... Until I'm just a monster...

Credit to EG for Banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost™ View Post
    I have to agree with Skiyomi on your idea Draco. It could go to any shipping really and the amount of participants or shippings it can span are practically endless. I think if we could come up with a name for that challenge it could be really fun if everyone works on it together. Hmm, a name for that challenge would be good as well, and probably a more cemented rule set as well...

I do like that challenge set Skiyomi, but maybe it could be adapted to fit all ships? I can see a lot of different types of shippings fall into a lot of those different categories, so it would be fun to adapt it, maybe? I can easily come up with a challenge based on Tarot, each drabble corresponding with the major arcana is represents. Hmm, I'll post that in my next post....

There are pros and cons for a separate thread and implementing it into the Author's cafe, I wonder if there is a way to merge the two together in one thread?
    I am glad you like that idea. The thing is, I personally see romance as a beautiful thing and fun thing (at least having a crush?). It's good to be in love, but this enjoyment can be more fun when you put yourself in the shoes of someone else who is not you. (Besides, this idea is inspired from PASBL.)

The rules.......basically we have to see what possible rule breakages are possible.

1) Character bashing: Thinly veiled character bashing can be done through roleplaying as such person. For example, person X could hate Misty and try degrading her character. While we can't really do anything against well written attempts at such things, a moderator or someone who takes up the equivalent referee role could make sure obvious attempts don't happen.

2) Ship bashing: This can be done if the two persons are equally trying to make a bad stain on the ship. Both of these considered, I think a "referee" (or equivalent word: Watcher/B-Reader) role should be taken by more active people who also like to read fics on such ships. For example, I like reading Pearlshipping, so I could be a "Pearlship Watcher/B-Reader" for a certain fic. The final decision on rule breaking would obviously go to Skiyomi/Encyclopika/whoever else the mods are.

3) De-railing the plot: Some could purposefully try driving the story to sexual or M-rated scenes. A fix rating should be given by the challenger when he posts his thread and either users are abolished from crossing that limit. But this could also come under rule 1, if a person A role playing as Ash constantly tries to force himself on Dawn, then it could come under rule 1 as Character Bashing, even if it's unintentional. To keep things civil, NC17/M-rated fics should never be allowed in this challenge.

I hope I am not going ahead of myself here. I made up all this things on spot, just now. I thought the possible rule breaks.

As for basic functioning itself:

Just like I said before Person A makes a challenge in the sticky thread with some fixed format.

Ship Name: Ex: Pokeshipping
    Rating: K to T or PG to PG-15 or something like that.
    Character Roles Open: Ash
    Setting: High School/Canon/ Any other anime/RL world settings.
    Points for participation:
    Other Conditions: Any character you don't want to have? Any topic you don't want to touch?

Yes, the point system. Basically based on the popularity of the ship, we give points to participants.

For example, this is the popularity chart:

1) Pearlshipping
    2)Ikarishipping
    3) Penguinshipping.

Those who take up Penguin get more points than Ikari or Pearlshippers. This is so that to encourage people to write rare shipping fics.

So, uh, this is what I have thought out. This is just an idea, I hope I really am not getting ahead of myself.

And most importantly this will be a one person to one person affair. Only one person gets a certain character.

I can see that this is very similar to RP, but this is more romance oriented and can be done with 2 to any number of people.

Hope I didn't speak too much :P

<--My tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu
    DRACO NO STOP. DRACO DOWN. DRACO NO FLIRTING WITH ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlerama

FF.Net profile: Here!!
    \

There are definitely some good ideas there, but I'd personally have a few concerns about having more than two people involved with the story. There's that old "too many chefs spoil the broth" adage and I feel like it could apply here. Involving a lot of people in it would make things get kind of complicated. And make organizing hard for the Shipping Oscars... What's more, I'm thinking more than ever that this would fit in better in the fic request shop. You could fill in the form as usual:

Name of ship:
    Names of Characters in pair:
    Plot:
    Rating regulation (optional):
    Other ships included (optional):
    Type of story:
    Other (optional):

But instead of just looking for someone to write the story for you, you'd be looking for someone to write it with you. Adding that kind of functionality on the shop would probably be the least complicated way to bring something like this about--and the least likely to get us into any RP/Game/Unwelcomed Interloper type situations. At least from how I'm understanding the idea.

And as for the separate thread v. author's cafe add-on thing for theme challenges, I'm still on the fence. I'm waiting to hear Encyclopika's thoughts on this.

Hmm, agreed. Two is okay, and three is borderline difficult to manage but any more than that is just pushing it. Yeah, I think what you said is correct. Instead of wasting a separate thread, the same old thread can serve the purpose. Anyway thanks for considering the idea

<--My tumblr

\

Quote Originally Posted by Lost™ View Post
    Here's the Tarot Challenge. Would love to see two different sets where it's taken literally by the name, and then by the meaning of the cards

Spoiler:
    As soon as I saw that, I thought back to Escaflowne. I think there are a few more tarot cards, but I guess those are the cards chosen for the challenge, then? But anyhoo, is this our first challenge, or were you just throwing it out there so that way when it's approved of, this will be the first challenge?

So wait, is the challenge all about have a collaboration, or is that always an optional choice? Because I want to know if the rules Dracoflare posted goes for everything involved with the challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoflare View Post
    To keep things civil, NC17/M-rated fics should never be allowed in this challenge.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Or it should at least be looked at by the OP, judge... mod or whatever unless they trust the author(s) writing it. I'm not saying it should always be supervised, but like there should be some form of contract/agreement that if broken, the participants should be disqualified from that particular challenge, and numerous offenses results in them being banned from the challenges. Something like that.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

^ I think of the collab part as being a kind of separate thing that could possibly go in with the fic request shop (or, of course, be organized between people on their own). I was more thinking of solo challenges for this project as, I think, was Lost™. And I don't think we really need to worry about what's a "first" challenge or even if something's official or not. If you like the look of a theme challenge and you want to take a shot at it, go for it. The real prize is in inspiring yourself to write, so nobody needs my go ahead for that :P. Though I could possibly think of doing completion graphics for people who go the whole nine yards and finish these challenges. Pooooossssssssiiiiiiiibbbblllllly. Because I love you all :P

Quote Originally Posted by Skiyomi View Post
    ^ I think of the collab part as being a kind of separate thing that could possibly go in with the fic request shop (or, of course, be organized between people on their own). I was more thinking of solo challenges for this project as, I think, was Lost™. And I don't think we really need to worry about what's a "first" challenge or even if something's official or not. If you like the look of a theme challenge and you want to take a shot at it, go for it. The real prize is in inspiring yourself to write, so nobody needs my go away for that :P. Though I could possibly think of doing completion graphics for people who go the whole nine yards and finish these challenges. Pooooossssssssiiiiiiiibbbblllllly. Because I love you all :P
    Pretty much this. I think Draco's rules really would fit better for his PASBL-esque collabs. (I love PASBL and I, but personally I feel like PASBL should stay just PASBL .-.).

@KP, There are 22 Major Arcana and 56 Minor Arcana. Of course I'm not insane (Well, that's a lie) and decided to give everyone the more well known, easier major arcana. I was more throwing it out there for a good challenge to start with. Also, another suggestion that is more specific to certain people.

"Write a drabble for every ship you've named". Obviously, this will be really easy for some, and hard for others. (I'm like at, 80 or so o-o)...

That would be amazing Skiyomi (goo).

Credit to EG for Banner.

I was talking about my idea It's PASBL-esque, not PASBL.

80??? You wrote for 80 different ships?

I am trying something like that, but not drabbles but huge one shot fics. It's called "50 Shippings to Boot With". I am planning to write 50 different one shots for 50 different ships. The initiative was good and I wrote a 20000 worded Pokeshipping fic......but sadly, I didn't continue after that. I deserve a medal once I complete it.

<--My tumblr

\

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoflare View Post
    I was talking about my idea It's PASBL-esque, not PASBL.

80??? You wrote for 80 different ships?

I am trying something like that, but not drabbles but huge one shot fics. It's called "50 Shippings to Boot With". I am planning to write 50 different one shots for 50 different ships. The initiative was good and I wrote a 20000 worded Pokeshipping fic......but sadly, I didn't continue after that. I deserve a medal once I complete it.
    I know that. I'm just saying that the general -bah who am I kidding?

Nah, I'm going to write for like, 80 ships.

Yup, and most likely a hospital stay as well.

Credit to EG for Banner.

Hey guys....I thought this thread was dead. :P But I'm glad it's come back to life.

I'm leaning very much into "separate thread" for the challenges, as it will give it a better chance at life, and therefore more people will see it. Also, that doesn't mean that thread can't be used to discuss more challenges, etc. The Author's Cafe can be a nice retreat from it. Speaking of which, I'd hate the Author's Cafe to become the Challenges Thread. This thread is so that authors can talk about anything fic related, and the two conversations would get jumbled. Not fun for someone who wanted to use the AC for advise.

The first post of this new thread would have the rules for the thread, which would probably be very little aside from the regular rules of the board and the forum. Then a few posts should be left aside (so legal double-posting) to accommodate a list of challenges set forth by the people who post their ideas in the thread. Perhaps the entire first page would be dedicated to challenge space.

These challenges sound like the "-shipping week" challenges people put forth for each other in celebration of the ship. For example, we just had Contestshipping Week a few weeks ago.

Yes, the point system. Basically based on the popularity of the ship, we give points to participants.

For example, this is the popularity chart:

1) Pearlshipping
    2)Ikarishipping
    3) Penguinshipping.

Those who take up Penguin get more points than Ikari or Pearlshippers. This is so that to encourage people to write rare shipping fics.
    Oooooooo - I really LIKE this idea!!! We should expand on it in a general sense for the whole thread.
    Last edited by Encyclopika; 13th August 2013 at 3:37 PM.
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

That sounds like a good way to organize it all and keep Author's Cafe open for other things. And once we pretty much know what we want to do with the thread, we can set it up pretty quickly and start the work of creating a lot of themes there instead of just doing it here and then making a thread after the fact.

I'd really like it if we could get some of the coupling threads in on this in some way. If we could have theme challenge lists for all the major pairings then we'd have something for writers who support a wide variety of ships to take on, in addition to having general ones for people who'd prefer to choose their ships all on their own and cover some of the less common ones.

The idea of a point system is interesting, and I like anything that encourages a variety of ship fics. I'm not really sure how it would work in practice, though... like, what do people get for their points, or is it just a leader-board thing? I'd been thinking of people getting their names written down in the thread if they manage to complete a whole challenge (and maybe a graphic with their name on it saying: "So-and-so Completed _____ Challenge!") but if we add a point system it could go beyond that.

I guess something to work out before this gets too far is exactly what rules the Challenge Thread should have that are different from the forum/subforum rules. Beyond the listing posts, do we want it to be just discussion/submission/creation of new challenges or shall we also include challenge-related talk like: "I'm having trouble thinking of a AdvanceShipping drabble I can write for ____ theme. Any ideas?" or should we keep that in the Author's Cafe (since that's an example of something someone might already ask here)? Any other considerations?

Oooo, this place is rather active isn't it? xD

I couldn't catch up on all the detail so please forgive me for any mistakes I might say. I think a challenge tread is a great idea but isn't the shipping truth and dare tread a little similar this the idea or is that only me?

Also I think the point system is good on paper but actually doing it could get confusing. Like what will people get out of the points? Maybe we could just publish the finished work on the first post or something could be rewarding enough. Maybe make a banner for the first person to complete a set/list of challenges and then when that's all done we could make a new list to keep this fresh and new. And then maybe when the shipping oscars come around maybe we could make an award for the most challenges done.

I think we should leave the cafe to talk about fanfiction and a place to ask help and make the challenges in a tread of its own. The less confusion the better.
    Last edited by Midnightmoon6o2; 14th August 2013 at 2:06 AM.

The Shippers Truth and Dare is completely different from the challenges thread. The challenges thread, once everything is ironed out, will be a list of challenges where people can do as they please, and also a place to discuss/create certain challenges. The ToD is if you're dared something, you have to do it even if you can't, but if you can't or got dared for something not fitting with your requirements, then you can talk to the person who dared you. Here, we will have challenges that you can pick out, and are not particularly forced to do.

For the points system, how will it work? Like Skiyomi said, will it just be a leader board, will there be rewards and prizes for it? Why should I care? Why do I want points? Bragging rights only can satisfy people so far, and while it will increase overall writing for rare to unknown ships, it doesn't mean anything else besides that. Sure, points are fun and all, but I'm asking why should I care and why should I participate? Considering the activity levels in this forum section, even with the system I have a feeling it will get inactive pretty fast.

Now, overall for the challenge thread (which I want to call dibs on since originally it was sort of my idea...), I feel like the discussion of help on challenges should most likely go into the Author's cafe, since the cafe is created for authors to get help on their writing. Talk of creation of challenges should be allowed, since it will hlep create activity in the thread, and we should have a some sort of voting process like in a CCAT or be like the shipping submissions thread and we submit parts to the challenge, and a select group will approve them or not. Honestly I'm leading towards the latter since it really would help make the community a lot more active. Other things would be discussing challenges. Like how one feels about challenges or questions on the specific challenge, well, besides writing help. Also, submissions of challenges that either I or a mod should approve. It would overall help increase activity and will allow the community to graze over challenges to spark their interests.

Involvement with the major shipping threads would also be a good addition for this thread, since it would allow for most of the shippers here to be able to actively participate in the thread without bashing each other or having an awkward feeling to it. Also, it would overall help with the growth of the thread as well. Same with Skiyomi's suggestion of making graphics for those who complete it. If she does decide to work on them, I would like to suggest different sizes varying on the challenge's size (Like a small for my tarot challenge, and something grand for a 365 challenge).

Overall, I feel like the best coarse of action is to iron out what exactly would be in the thread. With knowledge of that everything should be smooth sailing from here. Lost™ over and out.

Credit to EG for Banner.

Alrighty, I possibly-maybe have enough of my brain left to come here and nudge at this with my conversation-cattle-prod (patent pending).

Lost™ and I have been talking about format and types of challenges for this thread. And basically what we've come up with is that we want to have sections for 1. General Shipping, 2. Shipping-Specific 3. Non-Pokemon challenges and then a section for organizing the folks who have completed challenges and all the honor and glory they will receive there. There'll of course be a rules/intro thread first off explaining that discussion in the thread is for the creation of challenges (while "I need help with writing for this theme" questions are better left to the Author's Cafe), restrictions, and explanation of the idea of the thread.

That's where types of themes come in. I'm sure people could come up with more creative ideas, but as a baseline Lost™ and I have pretty much been talking about list challenges of 3 types:

Theme-based Challenge:

Spoiler:- example:

Shipping-based Challenge:

Direction-based challenges

Note that the examples I have here are rushed and shortened. Now, we could possibly expand in the future, but these kinds of challenges seem like a good place to start.

Now, we already have a couple of theme challenges that we can post up when the thread starts up (Lost's Tarot challenge, 50 PokeShipping themes and the Nights of Summer Slayers challenge I've been doing that I'll add at the end of this post). That means we should probably have a couple of shipping and direction-based challenges to give people a good idea of what kind of challenges we're looking for. So if you know of any / want to come up with some, this would be a great time to do it! Because it would be great if we could start the thread with a handful of challenges to get people going if they want to write and also if they want to come up with some to add.

Since we have theme challenges for all three of our larger categories (General Shipping, Shipping-specific, and Non-Pokemon), it would be nice if we had at least 2 list-of-ships challenges (1 for Shipping-specific and 1 for Non-Pokemon, ideally) and 3 direction-based challenges (1 for General Shipping, 1 Shipping-specific and 1 Non-Pokemon).

My apologies if I'm unclear or rushed or forgot something. I just wanted to lay out what we need right now to move forward with the idea.

Oh. And here's the Nights of Summer theme challenge for Slayers for the pair of Xellos/Filia. It was originally made up by me and another member at a site called Beloved Enemy:

Spoiler:- 100 Nights of Summer:

EDIT: Well, I've thought up some more challenges:

Johto-Kanto Connection-

An 80-item challenge to write for all the Kanto Gym Leader/Johto Gym Leader pairings.

Spoiler:- Johto-Kanto:

Johto Gym Leaders Pairing Challenge-

A 28-item challenge to write for all the Johto Gym Leader/Johto Gym Leader Pairs.

Spoiler:- Johto Gym Leaders:

ContestShipping Random Noun Challenge-

A challenge to write 25 ContestShipping drabbles/oneshots using a randomly generated noun in the specified place in the story.

Spoiler:- ContestShipping Random Noun Challenge:

Harry Potter Fandom Bicycle Top Ten-

Write a oneshot for each of these Harry Potter pairings (which earned their place by having the most non-mature-rated romance fics for them on fanfiction.net).

Spoiler:- Harry Potter Fandom Bicycle Top Ten:
    Last edited by Skiyomi; 4th September 2013 at 9:55 PM.

I hope posting here won't be a problem, it's a sticky so it shouldn't. Anyways, I see the challenge hasn't gotten a lot of activity... I'm also not going to do it, sorry... Anyways, I'd like to pump some activity in this thread by asking a topic question.

What do you prefer, characters showing slight hints and confessing/getting together or not at the end of the fic, or two characters actually being a couple throughout the fic?

I think both have their charms. It can be nice to see characters showing hints and slowly coming closer to a confession. However, I also think it can be nice to see how things work out once characters are actually a couple. After all, isn't that one of the reasons to ship?

I don't think we're getting a challenge thread any time soon...

What do you prefer, characters showing slight hints and confessing/getting together or not at the end of the fic, or two characters actually being a couple throughout the fic?

Both have their merits, but the former tends to make people groan and roll their eyes more with the getting together because it's "predictable"--and in a way, it is. If not done right, it will seem forced, and that's why most people don't like that cliché. However, I feel that if you want a pairing to truly be canon by the very end, you should have conflict with the relationship between the two throughout the story. That way when they do get together (or not, but particularly getting together), it will mean something much deeper than just "I like you, wanna go out?" "Okay~" and leaving it at that.

But if that fails to deliver, at least there's the latter choice, since it's established from the very start the two are a couple, and it can only go down one of two ways: they stay together and are happy, or they part because it wasn't working out. It always helps to add twists and turns to those paths because playing with your readers' emotions gives you power it'll make the journey that much more interesting and engaging. No relationship is a perfect, happy world, all relationships will have troubles in which every choice made is crucial in determining the future of that relationship.
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

I don't think we're getting a challenge thread any time soon...
    It is underway, guys, so please be patient and don't predict its demise yet

Both can be done well, but I think the main issues that decide how well it gets pull off are: 1. Believability and 2. Conflict. The first type of fic tends to lend itself much more easily to those two because the author has to sell the relationship throughout the story, and the will-they-or-won't-they conflict (however overused) is baked into the premise.

When it comes to already-established couples in fics, you can run into problems with those things because it can look cheap to a reader if all the work of making the two characters a couple was essentially done off screen and the reader has to "take your word for it" that the two cemented a relationship together. If the reader is skeptical of the pair, this can look like a shortcut.

I think this becomes a little bit more of a problem with our younger characters in Pokemon, because putting them in a legitimate relationship together tends to involve a pretty major time skip. With several years gone by, the characters would've had to have changed. The balance is to make them believable for their age, keeps aspects of their canon personality so there's continuity, and, as always, sell the relationship as legitimate. It can be done, no question. But it's a different challenge than will-they-or-won't-they.

Conflict becomes another issue because, in a shipping fic, there really ought to be more than just an external plot with an established couple going through it. There needs to be some emotional, internal, and relational aspect to make the story interesting and make it about them as a couple. Again, totally can be done. It's not like conflict goes away when you enter a relationship no, far from it. But keeping the tension up is not always as obvious as will-they-or-won't they.

IMO, I guess you could say there's more you can do with an established couple, but there's also more you can get wrong.
    Last edited by Skiyomi; 4th October 2013 at 7:46 PM.

It's time to boost this thread's activity again with a new question again.

Do you prefer writing with couples with lots of interactions and/or hints in the anime, or with couples with little interaction and/or hints?

I can see the merits of both. When writing with an established couple like Ash x Misty or Drew x May, it's easier to use the anime, and you already know how the interactions between the characters should be. This makes it easier for the writer, while it's also easier for readers to understand the interactions and see them as believable. These pairings will also attract more readers than crack pairings, unpopular pairings or pairings with little to no hints and interactions.

Meanwhile, when writing with couples that lack hints and/or interactions, you'll have to come up with things yourself more often as a writer, because the anime doesn't deliver enough material to work with. This allows you to have more freedom, which can give you room for more ideas, but it can also be difficult to come up with something believable or realistic. This gets even harder, because the pairing itself isn't very realistic by anime standards, which might make it harder to make it work between the two characters. Making two characters that would normally never fall for each other develop feelings for each other and interact in a realistic way can be very difficult. I don't have experience with this, but this is what I think.

I'm a PokeShipping writer myself, I lack experience with couples that lack hints and/or interactions. Everything I said in this post is just interpretation, I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Do you prefer writing with couples with lots of interactions and/or hints in the anime, or with couples with little interaction and/or hints?

I have no preferences. If I can come up with a story for any two characters I wish to pair up, then I'll write about it. I just have to make sure I keep them in character while doing so.

With that said, I tend to write pairings that have a little bit of both, at least when it comes to Pokémon (because... the couple are usually two Pokémon, hurr hurr :B). They do interact with each other, but there's really nothing in canon that backs up any hints of them ever getting to be romantically involved. I'm not entirely sure why, either. I guess I just like experimenting or something, especially if they're a pairing that isn't that common, so there's still a wide variety of stories that can be made.
    I survived Pupa.

I saw challenges listed on this page and I have a thing for challenges apparently. Not sure if I will touch them, but the Tarot Card one seems interesting.

Anyways... Do you prefer writing with couples with lots of interactions and/or hints in the anime, or with couples with little interaction and/or hints?

Well, seeing as how most of the shippings I like in the Pokemon fandom have little to no interaction whatsoever (I ship more game pairs than anime pairs), I definitely like the latter. It's a little difficult yes because some readers prefer reading pairings developed in a canon setting, but I also find it kind of fun. You can basically fill in the blanks with how A and B met, how they get to the point of being in a relationship, and the struggles along the way. It happens with a lot of ships, but I find having to make it for ships that are probably nevermet a fun challenge. Some of the ones that I've read are really good and almost believable. It's fun twisting interactions that way so it (kind of) makes sense.

Though, sometimes I do wish that the ships I like DID have some basis like the characters in the anime. At least then, I wouldn't have to think so hard coming up with something to write. lol

In-game Name: Monica
    3DS Friend Code: 5026-4978-3429

Thank you PopPrincess_Lyra for the awesome ResistanceShipping banner!

New topic question, I really hope to get some more activity in here: Do you prefer writing anime-based or game-based shipping fics?

I prefer anime-based. I like the anime way more than the games, and always write with anime characters, so I use the anime universe and not the game one. If I'd ever write a fic for smaller, cracky or nevermet shippings, which I probably wouldn't do, I'd probably use both the anime and the games, because otherwise, there might not be enough material to work with. But the universe will always be the anime universe.

Another one: Are there shippings you support, but really don't like writing about? And are there pairings you don't support, but still like to write about?

This is my shipping list:
    - Ash x Misty, PokeShipping, OTP
    - Drew x May, ContestShipping
    - Ash's Pikachu x Misty's Togetic, JoyShockShipping
    - Brock x Lucy, LuckShipping
    - Tracey x Daisy, HandymanShipping
    - Zoey x Dawn, AppealShipping
    - Cilan x Iris, WishfulShipping

Well, I'm a ContestShipper, AppealShipper and WishfulShipper, but aside from small mentions in fics for other shippings if necessary or relevant, I don't think I'd be able to do an entire fic for those shippings. I like them a lot, but the investment is not enough for a fic. I also don't think I'd be able to write a HandymanShipping fic without Misty in it, but maybe I can't write anything without Misty in it, she's my favourite character, and I can only have a good fic if I really like at least one of the main characters a lot. My new fic "Working On A Dream" has HandymanShipping, but Misty is the main character while travelling together with Tracey and Daisy, who are boyfriend and girlfriend there, and it's going nicely so far. I'm also a LuckShipper, maybe I'd be able to write a Brock x Lucy fic, I'm not sure, I might try someday. I do like Lucy quite a lot (maybe because she has quite some things in common with my girlfriend), and I think Brock is great as well. And for JoyShockShipping? I don't think a fic without PokeShipping would work for this shipping, because aside from Togetic returning, it's dependant on PokeShipping to succeed and to bring Pikachu and Togetic truly together. For PokeShipping, it's easy for me to write fics without other shippings or third wheel characters, it's my OTP and I'm a Misty fan.

I don't think I'd be able to write a fic for a shipping I don't support, I have to like the pairing to truly write with my heart. I also need to like at least one of the characters, and I'd refuse to write Misty x another guy than Ash. I don't think she'd be interested in other guys, it wouldn't feel right. But having one-sided another guy x Misty is fine with me, I did that in "Aquatic Passion" and will do it in "Working On A Dream". However, I do think I can include Ash x another girl he sees as hot if it's inside a PokeShipping fic. Ash saw Giselle and Melody as hot in the anime, and in my fic, there's some two-sided KissShipping (Ash x Melody) for conflict reasons. But it's not a KissShipping fic at all, Ash is only together with Melody for two out of the forty-two chapters, purely for conflict reasons. And in the beginning, Gary is together with Jasmine, but that ends quickly. I don't support Gary x Jasmine.

To put it short:
    - there are shippings I support, but wouldn't be able to write about.
    - there are no shippings I don't support that would be worth writing an entire fic about for me, but including them as a "side shipping" that gets mentioned or is only there for a very small portion of the story, or for conflict, that's fine with me, as long as I think the characters having feelings for each other isn't completely unrealistic.

Hello guys, I've never really posted in here much before but it seems to be generating a certain amount of buzz, so what the hell.

Do you prefer writing anime-based or game-based shipping fics?

For me it's anime all the way. There is just so much awesome material there that can inspire some amazing fics, great story, great action scenes, great emotional development. The anime universe has a deep pool of great artistic works that fill me with inspiration whenever I sit down and watch a few. Particularly the series based ones, where I can watch back to back episodes and get hooked into the story for hours on end. It's these that inspire my current works and give me the motivation to keep writing.

As for shipping when it comes to Pokemon, I only really support Pearlshipping (AshxDawn), Pokeshipping (AshxMisty), and a slight bit of Advanceshipping (AshxMay). The rest I don't care about. Amourshipping looks interesting, but it's still too early for me to have any investment in that.

I started my fic when I was high on Pearlshipping, and my love for the pairing spawned countless ideas in my mind. Although the writing in the earlier chapters makes me balk sometimes when I read back with how bad the grammar is compared to how I'm currently writing, I still had a ton of fun actually writing it at the time, as I was able to get all this shippyness out of my head and onto paper - so to speak. My fic 'Ash and Dawn: The Unova Chapter' basically started out as all my Pearlshipping high's written down, but for me I personally think it suffered because of that. When you get too zealous it's all about the shipping and you neglect many things needed to keep the story good. While I fixed that later on, it stills annoys me when I read my earlier work to see how many ways I could of done it better. I've also had a mind to do a Advanceshipping fic, but my current story has turned into a giant, and with the sequel I have planned to follow it, I really don't see how I'll ever get around to doing it.

The only shippings I can't stomach are Contestshipping and any ship that involves Dawn with anyone but Ash. The former because I really dislike Drew as a character and strive to see him fail, and the latter because my once overzealous Pearlshipping fanaticism has forever ingrained into my head that Ash and Dawn are a sacred item that shouldn't ever be despoiled.

I always find it interesting with how passionate the shipping community is. It has spawned some fantastic works that I've enjoyed reading, and has spawned several colorful debates over the values of certain ships.
    Last edited by tzhaa; 19th February 2014 at 5:42 AM.
    White FC: 4084 7878 3347
    White 2 FC: 3526 3780 0648
    3DS FC (For X and Y): 3282-2802-4636. My Safari is an Ice one with Bergmite, Delibird and Cloyster.

My Pearlshipping Fanfic

Does anyone like the idea of a review game?

The main fan fiction forum had one like it and I think it worked really well. I think it would be really nice if we had our own version. In case you don't know how it works, someone reviews a fic or a chapter of a fic and then they got theirs reviewed in return. I think it could be a great way to boost some activity into the shipping fic thread.

I don't really mind. I've done fics in both of these settings but I think a mixture of a two would be great where you get to know how they get together and how they cope as a couple.

☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

Does anyone like the idea of a review game?

Was this a question previously? If so, I don't remember answering it, and if I did answer, oh well, I'd like to have a review game for the Shipping Fics. It would help boost activity as Chlobo said, and I think it would probably be so it would be kept amongst the shippers, since I don't think a lot of the regular fan fiction writers are too fond of shipping to begin with (even though it's nice to get out of one's comfort zone every now and then). Now would it be stickied or not? And where would it be posted: here, or in the Community forum?
    I survived Pupa.

Y'know, in the past I've thought that using the one in the main fic section was best because there's more traffic there and I like the idea of conversation between our two sections because there are fanfiction writers that think touching romance will burn them like acid and it won't. But I think I might change my tune. The one that exists in the main section isn't as active as it used to be and a lot of people who strictly write shipping fics might not even know it exists. Plus we are our own writing community and, damn it! We deserve nice things!

Now would it be stickied or not? And where would it be posted: here, or in the Community forum?
    I'd say yes for visibility and for the sake of keeping non-story threads separate from stories. And I'd say here because it doesn't necessarily apply to people who go to the main shipping section--not all of them are fanfiction writers.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast