Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Results 351 to 366 of 366

Thread: ~Shipping Authors' Café~

  1. #351
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    If its alright with you guys, I was thinking of making a thread for our review game. Mak2 drabbles count in too. Unless one of the other mods was planning on doing one.


    ☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

  2. #352
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    I'm not picky, Chlobo, though I guess a mod like Skiyomi was planning on making it so it can be automatically stickied. Unless you two collaborated or something. *shrugs* I can see it coming about after the Shipping Oscars are done, for some reason. Is the OP going to be the same as how it is on the Review Thread, or will it be slightly changed up?
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

  3. #353
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,130

    Default

    I was not planning on making it, so that'd be great ChloboShoka. I'd imagine it would need some changing since our section runs a little differently and, if we included drabbles as ChloboShoka is suggesting, there'd need to be a different set of standards for that.

    I just ask that you PM me a draft of the OP for approval before posting it up in case any changes/additions need to be made.

    For my part, I'd like to see some kind of "reserve" feature in place if we're making changes. That was always a very irritating thing in the main section, where you spend a lot of time writing a big, long review and then it turns out someone got their's in before you simply because they didn't write as much. Something like, someone can post that they've reserved a review and they have 24-hours to get it in, otherwise people can disregard the reservation and someone else can post a review instead.

  4. #354
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skiyomi View Post
    For my part, I'd like to see some kind of "reserve" feature in place if we're making changes. That was always a very irritating thing in the main section, where you spend a lot of time writing a big, long review and then it turns out someone got their's in before you simply because they didn't write as much. Something like, someone can post that they've reserved a review and they have 24-hours to get it in, otherwise people can disregard the reservation and someone else can post a review instead.
    That's a great idea. That could also help keep inactivity at bay whenever possible, and let it move smoothly. Though how exactly would this reservation work? Does someone post in "I wish to reserve this review" before editing it within 24 hours complete with review link and their story, or do they post "I want to reserve this review, here's my story for the next person interested"? Or is that going to cause a bit of a clog?
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

  5. #355
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    That's a great idea. That could also help keep inactivity at bay whenever possible, and let it move smoothly. Though how exactly would this reservation work? Does someone post in "I wish to reserve this review" before editing it within 24 hours complete with review link and their story, or do they post "I want to reserve this review, here's my story for the next person interested"? Or is that going to cause a bit of a clog?
    The first thing. I don't want people posting a link to their story before they've done they've put in the legwork of writing the review. That could cause some trouble if they failed to actually get it done.

  6. #356
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skiyomi View Post
    I was not planning on making it, so that'd be great ChloboShoka. I'd imagine it would need some changing since our section runs a little differently and, if we included drabbles as ChloboShoka is suggesting, there'd need to be a different set of standards for that.

    I just ask that you PM me a draft of the OP for approval before posting it up in case any changes/additions need to be made.

    For my part, I'd like to see some kind of "reserve" feature in place if we're making changes. That was always a very irritating thing in the main section, where you spend a lot of time writing a big, long review and then it turns out someone got their's in before you simply because they didn't write as much. Something like, someone can post that they've reserved a review and they have 24-hours to get it in, otherwise people can disregard the reservation and someone else can post a review instead.
    Okay I've sent you the draft of the OP.


    ☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

  7. #357
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default

    is this tread still active? reading all the posts and wondering if someone could help me out with forming a summary for my fanfic
    you helped me become a hero slade, thank you. - oliver to slade (arrow season 2 finale)

  8. #358
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edgehead011 View Post
    is this tread still active? reading all the posts and wondering if someone could help me out with forming a summary for my fanfic
    What is your fic about? What pairing and what are you plans for it? I'll try and help you if you like.


    ☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

  9. #359
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edgehead011 View Post
    is this tread still active? reading all the posts and wondering if someone could help me out with forming a summary for my fanfic
    Well since I'm around I don't mind lending a hand, what do you need help on?

  10. #360
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnightmoon6o2 View Post
    Well since I'm around I don't mind lending a hand, what do you need help on?
    in general for a summary, im writing a story about amourshipping and i want to change the summary i have now to something that can catches the readers eye
    you helped me become a hero slade, thank you. - oliver to slade (arrow season 2 finale)

  11. #361
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edgehead011 View Post
    in general for a summary, im writing a story about amourshipping and i want to change the summary i have now to something that can catches the readers eye
    Well a summary should talk about about your story without spoiling the best parts of the story. Writing a summary is much easier than most people think.

  12. #362
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnightmoon6o2 View Post
    Well a summary should talk about about your story without spoiling the best parts of the story. Writing a summary is much easier than most people think.
    i agree, but i suck when it comes to writing summarys lol
    you helped me become a hero slade, thank you. - oliver to slade (arrow season 2 finale)

  13. #363
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edgehead011 View Post
    i agree, but i suck when it comes to writing summarys lol
    In all honesty, a summary should not be too long, if that's what you're worried about. There's no need for it to be a paragraph long, though you can have it be three sentences long. The way I personally do it when coming up with summaries (and what I think most people should implement, honestly) is to think of it as a tagline. Taglines are what you typically see on movie posters, and they tend to be short, usually one-line sentence blurbs. However, a logline is used more as a proper summary concept as they're two sentences long. When one is pitching an idea to someone, the logline is ideal as you can easily give the plot in two sentences while avoiding spoilers. The taglines are used to capture an audience's attention and get them interested.

    Make sense? It's something that does need some time (and possible practice) to think out, however, so you'll have to brainstorm a bit. What I would suggest is you write down some sentences that come to mind, thinking about your story in the meanwhile, and then read what you've written and narrow them down. Ideally, you should go for two sentences when it comes to the actual summary, unless you have a single sentence that you feel will capture someone's attention.

    Try it out and see how it works out for you. Aim for about ten possible taglines/loglines so it'll give you a nice list to choose from.
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 23rd August 2014 at 9:31 AM.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

  14. #364
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    In all honesty, a summary should not be too long, if that's what you're worried about. There's no need for it to be a paragraph long, though you can have it be three sentences long. The way I personally do it when coming up with summaries (and what I think most people should implement, honestly) is to think of it as a tagline. Taglines are what you typically see on movie posters, and they tend to be short, usually one-line sentence blurbs. However, a logline is used more as a proper summary concept as they're two sentences long. When one is pitching an idea to someone, the logline is ideal as you can easily give the plot in two sentences while avoiding spoilers. The taglines are used to capture an audience's attention and get them interested.

    Make sense? It's something that does need some time (and possible practice) to think out, however, so you'll have to brainstorm a bit. What I would suggest is you write down some sentences that come to mind, thinking about your story in the meanwhile, and then read what you've written and narrow them down. Ideally, you should go for two sentences when it comes to the actual summary, unless you have a single sentence that you feel will capture someone's attention.

    Try it out and see how it works out for you. Aim for about ten possible taglines/loglines so it'll give you a nice list to choose from.

    ok where can i put a link to it if i dont want to post here on the forum?
    you helped me become a hero slade, thank you. - oliver to slade (arrow season 2 finale)

  15. #365
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edgehead011 View Post
    ok where can i put a link to it if i dont want to post here on the forum?
    What do you mean? Are you talking about the fan fic? If you don't want to post the story on Serebii, then upload it to FanFiction.net or whatever website that allows you to upload fan fiction, and just have the link to it in your signature. You can have the summary of the story in quotations in your signature.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

  16. #366
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    What do you mean? Are you talking about the fan fic? If you don't want to post the story on Serebii, then upload it to FanFiction.net or whatever website that allows you to upload fan fiction, and just have the link to it in your signature. You can have the summary of the story in quotations in your signature.
    yes sorry the fanfic should have been more clear lol
    you helped me become a hero slade, thank you. - oliver to slade (arrow season 2 finale)

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •