Thread: Formatting 3ds SD card

Default Formatting 3ds SD card

Hi there! I just upgraded my 3ds SD card using a mac, and now i want to upgrade it using windows, it cant open my SD card with the data on it without formatting, and well... formatting deletes data.

So, my question is..how do i format my SD card without losing GAME data, cuz most of the recovery programs only have camera stuff to recover.

HEEEELP!!!
    My FC: 4098-4557-7957
    Poison safari, with muk, garbodor, and gloom

Shadow Stars League Flying Gym: CLOSED R.I.P.
    The Eternian Forces League Normal Gym: CLOSED

Grass type GYM!!!

LF: A Seadra holding Dragon Scale or a kingdra with sniper and 252 SpA / 252 Speed / 4 HP with focus energy and timid nature got it!
    LF: Make an offer
    FT: A 6 IV Naive Terrakion

Mhm, I have had this problem before, not on the ds sd card specifically but in generall. Make sure you back up the data before you do anything. Then format the sdcard and try to put the data back onto it. An external hard drive that can connect with both mac and windows is very useful in this situation.
    Last edited by Crash & Charm; 28th January 2015 at 10:30 PM.

Doublade has been claimed by me
    *Credit goes to Astral Shadow for the awesome banners*
    Join My Pokemon Conquest RP {Open spots:Pugilis (Fighting), Terrera (Ground), Cragspur (Rock), Spectra (Ghost)}

If it's working in the 3DS then it should work in any operating system.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by Crash & Charm View Post
    Mhm, I have had this problem before, not on the ds sd card specifically but in generall. Make sure you back up the data before you do anything. Then format the sdcard and try to put the data back onto it. An external hard drive that can connect with both mac and windows is very useful in this situation.
    Sorry if i am a noob, but how do i back up data? Put it on a new SD card using the mac, or fiddle with the 3ds settings?

Grass type GYM!!!

LF: A Seadra holding Dragon Scale or a kingdra with sniper and 252 SpA / 252 Speed / 4 HP with focus energy and timid nature got it!

just copy the data into your computer.

If everything goes wrong, you will have a backup that you can restore from there.

Doublade has been claimed by me
    *Credit goes to Astral Shadow for the awesome banners*
    Join My Pokemon Conquest RP {Open spots:Pugilis (Fighting), Terrera (Ground), Cragspur (Rock), Spectra (Ghost)}

Quote Originally Posted by Crash & Charm View Post
    just copy the data into your computer.

If everything goes wrong, you will have a backup that you can restore from there.
    Well, THAT is the problem! It does not open without formatting, and well, formatting deletes data.

Oh, now i get it! I use a mac to save data cuz it opens on mac, format it on windows, transfer mac data using gmail, and copy paste it on the windows formatted SD card! I hope it works!

Grass type GYM!!!

This is not really an answer but meant more as something useful if you want to know a bit more about formatting.

You cannot format data on a SD card without losing the data stored on it. Formatting means that you redefine certain parameters on the file system you're going to use and thus inadvertently resetting the points where the file system you're replacing knows where data is stored.