Thread: Xbox 360 hard drive help

Question Xbox 360 hard drive help

Hello there.
    So, I just got my first Xbox 360, a new 4gig Xbox 360. If I were to realise all of my dreams of games and DLC, I would need more than 4 gigabytes. I assume what I need is an external hard drive, but what I ask is this; do I need an Xbox specific external hard drive, and if so, where can I get one? If it helps, all I would use it for is downloading and saving games and downloading DLC.

-Uh oh.

360 is a pretty lenient console, it will let you use an Xbox 360 specific hard drive, or a usb for storage. Do you have the slim, elite, or original? I have a 4 year old Original Xbox 360 with 10 GBs of regular storage, a 60 GB Xbox 360 hard drive, and a 64 GB usb plugged into the front. As long as you properly install the USB when it prompts for it, you should have no issue saving your games. However, I did notice that because certain games needed the download into your console (like GTA V), the USB will not allow you to download them to it and will instead prompt for an actual hard drive so I'd reccomend getting any storage you can, especially with that limited memory.

I have a library of about 25 games and I'm only using around 50 GB of all my space, however my 360 Console itself is full due to some of my small Arcade purchases and all the apps I have downloaded to it. You can get a hard drive for it just about anywhere actually, I bought my 60 GB at Future Shop, however I know they also have them at Walmart. The USB option is viable for now, but beware of games with download prompts like GTA and Destiny.

I'd recommend around a 40GB, however some DLC can be MASSIVE; so plan accordingly. I can recall one of my DLC being around 4GB on it's own.
    Last edited by Mogar; 11th January 2015 at 3:26 AM.

I believe I have just the normal console, but are there different external hard drives for each version of the console? And would an official 360 hard drive be recommended then?

-Uh oh.

I think a 360 HD is recommended due to it has a less of a reading "problem". I think it's faster, and some games also require it, if I'm not wrong.
    Although, I haven't had any problems with Pendrive. I use a 32GB one for saves and my DLCs. But I play veeeery few games. I think Mogar is quite right; Buy a bigger one.
    And Its "reading" time is enough... I honestly don't see a problem. Not a difference.

EDIT: Bad Engalish is bahd
    Last edited by Sohryu; 12th January 2015 at 12:45 AM.

You don't have to get a hard drive that is made by Microsoft; there are third party hard drives you could find on Amazon or eBay. Only problem is that if you have an issue with it, Microsoft will be unable to help. Me personally, I use two flash drives, and they work fine. The only issue is you can't play certain games such as Titanfall or Destiny, unless you have a hard drive. Those games would require a hard drive however I don't know why. A word of advice though, if you go the flash drive route (which is usually cheaper), Digital Copies are not a good idea, as they take a hefty amount of space. Buy the discs if and when you can. I have the Digital Copies of GTA V and CoD Black Ops II and they take up the majority of my space.

edit: Saw Mogar's post above. You don't need a hard drive to play GTA V, a flash drive will work as long as it is a USB 2.0 or 3.0.
    Last edited by Aura Sensei™; 11th January 2015 at 9:50 PM.
    I'm feelin' electric tonight
    Cruising down the coast goin' 'bout 99
    Got my bad baby by my heavenly side
    I know if I go, I'll die happy tonight