Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Shield With A Twist! (570)

Great dub but i hated how pikachu lost so easily but chimchar shined through it all.

Okay, I'd first like to say that this is an awesome gym war.

With Ash utilizing his new spinning attack, which Fantina calls the Counter-shield, he practically breezed through his first opponents (I was surprised that the Buizel & Gengar fight didn't end in a double kill,) but once Drifblim gets into the picture, that's when things get hairy. Basically, if Drifblim gets ahold of you, you're done. Pikachu should've used either Iron Tail or Volt Tackle instead of Thunderbolt. Still, once Fantina used a Will-o-wisp Counter-shield, it's his Chimchar that broke through it, & pulling out the win. This proves that you can fight fire with fire, if yours is stronger, that is...

One thing is for sure, though: Barry has his work cut out for him if he even hopes to get up to Ash's level.

Jessie is still doing those contests, because she just can't leave them well enough alone... That's the only thing that mars this otherwise great episode...

*continues to linger around*

They should have showed some of that contest with jessie.

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post
    There are no levels in the show.
    Actually one of the first episodes of Pokemon they went to something like a trainers school and one of the kids estimated Pikachu's level. Every time Ash would knock out one of her Pokemon Fantina would go NOOOOOO!!!LOL.... And in the background Jessie is winning a contest. She made everyone love her, even the girls. And she actually won with a stupid performance like that?! For once a contest doesn't take 3 episodes and Dawn isn't in it. Man, nice strategey Ash, and in your face Barry! I hope he uses Staravia soon, he's gettin underused. That's all for now!
    Ask me about Pokeplace Town

Finally, the episode we've all been waiting for for ,well ages (at leats it felt like ages) is here.
    And it was worth the waiting!
    Really an intense, exciting, and above all, well thought-out gym battle and therefore a successfull episode all in all.

What I sure liked was how flexibly Ash changed his counter-shields. The first time Buizel used it, it turned out to be a success right away. The second time, after Fantina had thought up a plan, Ash and Chimchar cleverly combined Flame Wheel with Flamethrower and by "sacrificing" the latter, knocked out Mismagius with the former. Awesome! Believe it or not, but I somehow saw that coming.

After my rather harsh criticism last week, I only found one point of criticism this time! (Hear, hear!^^)
    Pikachu went down way too soon. Considering him being Ash's first and thus very likely one of his most powerful Pokemon, he just mustn't be defeated that quickly. I can't deny that it was a bit disappointing, but perhaps it just had to be so to enable Chimchar to shine.
    Talking of Chimchar, our fire chimp sure showed what he is made of. I loved that casual, superior expression on his face when he realized that he'd gained the upper hand over Drifblim. Perhaps his voice could be improve a teensy bit, but all in all, Chimchar undoubtedly belongs to my favorites in Ash's entire team!

I wish Jessies contest hadn't been rushed that much. Well ,at least, she's got her 2nd ribbon and I'm sure she deserved it as well. We didn't see much, but the appeal with her hair was decent and somewhat magical.
    If only she wouldn't wear those ridiculous, ugly hiking boots!!! She'd be a really adorable girl, but her dress and those boots just don't go together well. What do you think?

Yeah, Ash, you did your best and really thrilled me today! A great battle which you can be proud of. You advance more and more and if there's somebody who can make their dream come true, then it's you, Ash!
    From now on,folks, we've got one further reason to be proud Ash-Fans!

Every Sinnoh gym battle has been rousing and amazing so far and this one was no exception. Logical consequence:

8 out of 10 points
    Last edited by ash_forever; 19th April 2009 at 1:18 AM.
    ASH FOR THE WIN!
    Pokémon veteran since 1999

Words of wisdom from Serebii Chat:
    [01:37] <Brainless> I hate the WORLD.
    [01:37] <Trainer_Trixie> trade your soul on wifi

I've managed to see the episode since the motel my family checked in for Disneyland has Cartoon Network on the channel list. I smiled when Fantina send out Gengar because it was my favorite ghost pokemon from the 1st gen. What bothered me was when Chimchar defeated Driftblim, it didn't took some damage from the aftermatch ability. My brother was furious about Driftblim getting hit by a ground type move because it was levitating, which makes it immune to ground type moves.

This episode was good. Ash’s rematch was quite intense. Chimchar was also quite tough against Drifblim. Glad to see another episode where Team Rocket stayed out of the way again.
    My First Ever Level 100 Team:
    My Current Level 100 Team: ;635; ;598;
    70% of the Serebii population uses ultra powerful legendaries(also known as ubers) in their teams.
    If you are one of the 30% that thinks outside the box
    and doesn't use ubers, copy and paste this into your signature! (^started by SapphireL!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dattebayo View Post
    What bothered me was when Chimchar defeated Driftblim, it didn't took some damage from the aftermatch ability.
    Even if Fantina's Drifblim had Aftermath as its ability, it wouldn't have been been activated anyway. Chimchar's final attack was Flamethrower, which doesn't require physical contact with Drifblim.
    My brother was furious about Driftblim getting hit by a ground type move because it was levitating, which makes it immune to ground type moves.
    If your bro's referring to Dig, it wasn't the move itself that hurt Drifblim. Ash simply used it to have Chimchar jump on it; Dig made sure that Drifblim wouldn't notice that Chimchar was coming from behind. Chimchar hurling it to the ground was no attack, much less part of Dig; it was nothing more than the use of its physical strength.

Tch, if you're so insistent to analyze from your game-obsessed view, you might wanna get your facts straight first.

Run for your lives.

tumblr - livejournal

Lol, I just watched the dub episode on a 'certain site' and had to laugh at the amount of kids going on about the Sleep Clause...Did they actually think the anime would include some cruddy fan-made rule?
    OR Playthrough - Fallarbor Town

This won't change often.. I play through the games slowly..

My brother was furious about Driftblim getting hit by a ground type move because it was levitating, which makes it immune to ground type moves.
    To me dig isn't what it is supose to be in the anime. Dig in the anime is more of a move to dodge rather than one that is ude to attack.

Fantina has recently become one of my favorite gym leader of sinnoh, even though her first appearance to me wasn't that impressive. The way she reacted to her pokemon lose was funny to me. Not to mention that she seems to have a very confident attiude when she battles. Now i looking forward to seeing Byron and Candice appear as they are my other favorite leaders of sinnoh.

edit: i ranked up!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by TicoPokemonMaster; 19th April 2009 at 3:10 AM. Reason: none

Have Some of you guys seen this episode? Im sure this hasnt been aired in UK yet
    Cool site to Watch Pokemon

it was today's episode if you live in the U.S

Finally, the UK beat the US to airing the last episodes, but it is strange.

Ok to the episode.

I really liked this i liked how ash made a really good start and using his 'counter-shield' was clever. Then fantina uses it against him was truly riveting. Then Chimmy uses his great skills to counter that will-o-wisp go chimmy!

And wow jessie, nice one on the contest, is this going to be the time jessie gets enough ribbons to enter the grand festival, because you know what happened last time, she had to steal her way in and she got caught ehehehe.
    Loves every part of pokemon, loves the movies, the anime and every game, so you could call me fan lol.

Apparently i'm a...

Favourite Pokemon: but i like them all

one of the best gym battels in sinnoh , chimchar the star of the gym and ash use the counter shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Dattebayo View Post
    What bothered me was when Chimchar defeated Driftblim, it didn't took some damage from the aftermatch ability. My brother was furious about Driftblim getting hit by a ground type move because it was levitating, which makes it immune to ground type moves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    Even if Fantina's Drifblim had Aftermath as its ability, it wouldn't have been been activated anyway. Chimchar's final attack was Flamethrower, which doesn't require physical contact with Drifblim.

If your bro's referring to Dig, it wasn't the move itself that hurt Drifblim. Ash simply used it to have Chimchar jump on it; Dig made sure that Drifblim wouldn't notice that Chimchar was coming from behind. Chimchar hurling it to the ground was no attack, much less part of Dig; it was nothing more than the use of its physical strength.
    Don't forget that Drifblim could've also had the Unburden ability.

Anyway, it seems strange that you never see any Pokemon use Snore or Sleep Talk. Those moves only work when the Pokemon is asleep, which could be a decent counter against Hypnosis. Imagine a sleeping Pikachu using Sleep Talk to use Thunderbolt against Drifblim.

I am disappointed because Pikachu lost, but the part "Chimchar Vs. Drifloon" was awesome. But, anyways, battle was great...
    ...and Barry must keep his Big Penguin out of it's Pokeball-_-

Pretty cool how the uk got it first

Credit goes to the very talented Skiyomi for this awesome Banner!!!!

I claimed Palpitoad.....yay???

Jessie finally wins her 2. ribbon, pity that they rushed it. If only she could steal Pikachu... Fantina was one tough daughter of a bi**h, she used Ash's plan against him. But, as soon as I saw that Chimchar was the last one left, I knew what would happen. It was all set for the Flamethrower to get more strength from the Will O' Wisp and fry Drifblim. Ash was lucky Ghost Pokemon aren't durable, he'll have much more work against Byron's menaces.
    Il Gran Velenatore del Poke-mondo.
    The Great Poisoner of the Pokeworld.

One of the greatest battles I've seen in the anime. I'm glad to see how much Ash is improving in Sinnoh. I remeber his first Gym Battles when he won nobody knows how (not even him).

Counter-shield was great. That is what Ash needs to do to become a great trainer. Have some non-basic strategy to work.

It's just me or Chimchar is by far one of the strongest Pok&#233;mon Ash have ever had?? Maybe barring Pikachu, I've never seen a Pok&#233;mon used so many times by him (and winning almost always).

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8099-9870 - Nuno

Super Secret Base | Double Battles | QR Code

Beta Competition Masters Division: W25 L9 - Rating 1736 - Ranking 100th
    June International Challenge Masters Division: W10 L7 - Rating 1544 - Ranking 2784th

Overall WiFi Double Battle Record: W48 L20

It's just me or Chimchar is by far one of the strongest Pok&#233;mon Ash have ever had?? Maybe barring Pikachu, I've never seen a Pok&#233;mon used so many times by him (and winning almost always).
    It's strong all right, but not as strong as ash's most famous fire type of all: Charazard!

Is it just me or did you want to kill Fantina over the annoying "french" accent?
    95% of teens would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers at the top of a skyscraper about to jump. Copy and paste this if you are in the 5% that would shout 'Jump'! - Started by pokemonmaster8
    My brawl f/c: 0259-4726-2901
    My mario kart f/c 4941-4342-7962

I loved the episode, mostly because Barry was in it. The battling was great and I wasn't too dissapointed by Pikachu being knocked out that quickly. Pikachu aren't the most durable Pokemon after all. Buizel and Chimchar are hands down my favorite Pokemon in Ash's current team.

I was really happy that this episode didn't have any Team Rocket/Twerp interaction and that they took the time to get Jessie anothe ribbon. I expect this is how they'll get her enough ribbons for the grand festival and that she'll probably only enter one other contest with Dawn before the grand festival.
    I've officially claimed Swampert!

Man, that was an awesome Gym Battle. Ash has a really good strategy, unlike Paul, he's too mean. Chimchar really has good skills, mananging to beat Drifblim. I can't wait for the next Gym Battle.

I love the part when fantina loses!

Referee: Mismagius is unable to battle! Ash's Pikachu wins!
    Fantina: NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH!!!!

lol

Im giving credit to Pokesho
    We Are The Champions!

pikachu lost actually

I enjoyed the episode, if not as much as previous gym battles. The counter shield was interesting and Barry was a bit crazy. Go figure. The Jessie sidestory was nice if a bit rushed. And Pikachu was once again proven to be not as strong a Pokemon as everyone in the show seems to think. Someone whould make a list of every Pokemon to have beaten Pikachu. Or perhaps not.
    7.7/10.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast