Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucky Star General Discussion

Default Lucky Star General Discussion

Lucky Star (TV) – Anime News Network

Well, well, well. Perhaps cutting loose for a bit will work best here, given everything I’ve learned about and seen of this show ever since it first came to my attention. Konata Izumi and her friends go about their lives at their high school talking about various items and developments they see around them, and to that end, Konata herself brings up quite a few… interesting tidbits, scoring several laughs and surprises along the way. As ever, feel free to discuss any elements of this show that stand out of you, and have fun pondering the possible implications of the everyday observations present in Lucky Star.

Main (Japanese) Cast List:
    Aya Hirano as Konata Izumi
    Emiri Katou as Kagami Hiiragi
    Kaori Fukuhara as Tsukasa Hiiragi
    Aya Endo as Miyuki Takara
    Hirokazu Hiramatsu as Soujiro Izumi
    Konomi Maeda as Nanako Kuroi
    Saori Nishihara as Yui Narumi
    Mami Kosuge as Yukari Takara
    Hiromi Konno as Akira Kogami
    Minoru Shiraishi as Minoru Shiraishi
    Kaori Shimizu as Hiyori Tamura
    Nozomi Sasaki as Patricia Martin
    Minori Chihara as Minami Iwasaki
    Shizuka Hasegawa as Yutaka Kobayakawa

Main (American) Cast List:
    Wendee Lee as Konata Izumi
    Kari Wahlgren as Kagami Hiiragi
    Michelle Ruff as Tsukasa Hiiragi and Minami Iwasaki
    Karen Strassman as Miyuki Takara
    Tony Oliver as Soujiro Izumi
    Kate Higgins as Nanako Kuroi
    Julie Ann Taylor as Yui Narumi
    Bridget Hoffman as Yukari Takara
    Stephanie Sheh as Akira Kogami
    Sam Regal as Minoru Shiraishi
    Philece Sampler as Hiyori Tamura
    Patricia Ja Lee as Patricia Martin
    Hynden Walch as Yutaka Kobayakawa
    Babylon 5, Codename: Kids Next Door, 24, and now, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I am many things at once, and many people might have different opinions about little, old me. If freedom is my main idea, then harmony, individuality, and modernization are the three attributes I now sense and track. Those three attributes and that idea combined to make the United States of America a great global superpower and Pearlshipping and Wishfulshipping great Pokémon couples, and now, they've combined to make those four shows truly great television programs to me. I will enjoy enthusiastically supporting the Equestrian ponies' adventures for peace, for humankind, for the future.

From reading the manga, I've noticed Hiyori gets a huge increase in page space, in volumes 6 and 7, it was almost equal to that of Konata. She is defiantly a character that grows on you, and I find I can relate to her well. Especially with her inability to remeber plots. I remember so many times thinking up a good idea for the few articles I wrote for a paper, and forgetting them by the time I got a chance to pen them down was quite easily one of the most frustrating things to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Colliepop View Post
    And that is invalid!
    Or maybe we reverse the positions. The lion can show up in the middle of a bustling city street, and take on a person in a tank.
    This post is Win
    This is why idolizing the human civilizations of yester-millenia is awesome

I saw this anime last year. It's pretty good, I'm kinda like Konota, doing school work late. I'm intrigued when I found out Hynden Walch (Starfire, Princess Bubblegum) voices Yutaka and Patrica Ja Lee (Cassie from Power Rangers) voices Patty.

the only good thing about that series was the opening sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartD View Post
    I saw this anime last year. It's pretty good, I'm kinda like Konota, doing school work late. I'm intrigued when I found out Hynden Walch (Starfire, Princess Bubblegum) voices Yutaka and Patrica Ja Lee (Cassie from Power Rangers) voices Patty.
    The one that surprised me the most was that Emiri Kato went on to voice Kyubey.

Quote Originally Posted by Colliepop View Post
    And that is invalid!
    Or maybe we reverse the positions. The lion can show up in the middle of a bustling city street, and take on a person in a tank.
    This post is Win
    This is why idolizing the human civilizations of yester-millenia is awesome

Good points. I could add five, 10, or even 20 anime programs in total for all of 2011, and none of them would be as… unusual, for lack of a better word, as Lucky Star. While Hiyori is dedicated to her artwork, Konata has been concentrating similarly on anime shows and video games in general. Indeed, it seems to me that Konata has a particular interest in “moe” scenarios, and I definitely couldn’t resist laughing in sincere amusement at one such scenario, during Yukata’s introduction.:

Yutaka: I wonder if I’m gonna get along with all my new classmates at Ryoo High. I mean, I’m the only one out of my old school that made it in, and if I get sick real easy like today--
    Yui: (patting Yutaka) Don’t worry, Yukata, you’re a good girl. You’ll be fine.
    Yutaka: (annoyed) Stop treating me like a little kid!!
    Konata: (thinking to herself) Hmm… (“weak from illnesses + little sister element + pure + cute” appearing individually) Thinking… converting… (“walking moe factor” appearing, with blinking arrow pointing at Yutaka)

If there’s any anime program that introduced me to the concept of moe, then clarified it through its characters, then it would have to be Lucky Star. Perhaps I’ll be content to accept such a format as it is and enjoy it from there.
    Babylon 5, Codename: Kids Next Door, 24, and now, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I am many things at once, and many people might have different opinions about little, old me. If freedom is my main idea, then harmony, individuality, and modernization are the three attributes I now sense and track. Those three attributes and that idea combined to make the United States of America a great global superpower and Pearlshipping and Wishfulshipping great Pokémon couples, and now, they've combined to make those four shows truly great television programs to me. I will enjoy enthusiastically supporting the Equestrian ponies' adventures for peace, for humankind, for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikas123 View Post
    The one that surprised me the most was that Emiri Kato went on to voice Kyubey.
    She also voiced Momoko in Powerpuff Girls Z. In fact, it was referenced in this clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MVefNYaquw

Speaking of Kagami, her usual thinking seems a bit iffy to me, if nothing else, especially when it comes to anything that Konata says. Then again, as often as not, I end up chuckling once or thrice while pondering what their conversation was really about. There was one exchange in particular that has my attention at this moment, before an athletic festival at their school.:

Konata: But if Kagami did go and cut her hair…
    Kagami: (turning around with completely short hair in mental image) Isn’t the super-slim Pocky the same as regular Pocky?
    Konata: (shaking Kagami by the shoulders) Don’t do it! Pigtails are the classic tsundere hairstyle!
    Kagami: Sorry my face is so boring!

If it helps, I’ve played this conversation at least three or four times, and I still have to chuckle at the exchange itself, given everything I’ve learned about tsunderes until now. I will consider this another facet to highlight in the (relatively) down-to-earth world of Lucky Star.
    Last edited by ccangelopearl1362; 16th July 2011 at 12:14 AM.

I tried watching this anime yesterday and I kinda got confused.. So this anime has no plot right..? :/

*Credits to rge for the banner*

[IMG]http://i48.*******.com/2cndpf.gif[/IMG]

TheAscension's YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com
    /TheAscensionClan

madmarine0's YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/atorchicc

pokemon Black FC: 5114 3255 5218
    Wifi Battles Wins/Losses: 130 wins, 18 losses, 2 draws
    Win Ratio: 87.84%
    Roulette Frontier Brain of the Ascension League
    Battle Record: 0 wins, 0 losses, 0 draws
    Win Ratio: 0.00%
    Number of EV'd pokemon: 302

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/madmarine0

Me and three other friends (all guys, crazy right?) were watching the second DVD the other day. My one friend forgot his glasses when he showed up and he couldn't read the subtitles.

So we switched to the English dub.

Once we got to the part with Kagami "pounding two cakes at once" in her mouth he couldn't take it. He fell to the ground laughing his *** off. And the cake innuendos just kept coming. He wasn't able to stop laughing and get back up until the scene ended.

It's okay but I can't see why it has so many fans. It's okay and is funny at times but overall, pointless. The SGT. Frog parody, they're going to need to redub that.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

I like it and i think im most like konata.... i love playing video games too much...
    ~Made By PrincessSarahEm on DeviantArt
    ~ Flute picture aquaticdivinity from deviantArt
    << Please clicky

Konata, Kagami, Tsukasa, or Miyuki? Maybe the Anime News Network review for this show’s 1st DVD will give us a few pointers: “All of the girls are so specifically tailored to represent fan-appealing traits that their characterizations become a self-aware joke… Seemingly all-knowing Miyuki, as Konata often points out, has the perfect laundry list of fanboy-loving traits: a good body, glasses, an unfailingly pleasant and friendly disposition, and faults that perfectly play into the moe stereotype.”. Of course, their character songs should help us further, and as it happens, I find the one by Miyuki’s Japanese voice actress, namely “What Are ‘Moe Aspects’?”, the most calming in my case. Perhaps moe is a perception, an inner instinct, more than anything else, but in my case, Miyuki’s penchant for general knowledge and Konata’s penchant for popular culture, especially of the Japanese variety, stand out most clearly as points of reference, among others present in Lucky Star, especially its rather addictive opening theme song, "Motteke! Sailor Fuku".
    Last edited by ccangelopearl1362; 19th July 2011 at 6:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mori View Post
    the only good thing about that series was the opening sequence.
    No.

Though I can see how episode can be a hit or miss with most people. Just gotta stick it through.

Quote Originally Posted by jb08045 View Post
    No.

Though I can see how episode can be a hit or miss with most people. Just gotta stick it through.
    The series as whole is pretty love-it-or-hate-it. I personally love Lucky Star but it's clear why plenty of people don't like it. It's just that kind of series.
    Done here.

It's best to have alot of anime under your belt for this to be enjoyable I guess.

It's best to have alot of anime under your belt for this to be enjoyable I guess.
    When I first saw it I didn't have that much under my belt. Hadn't watched Code Geass, Initial D, Evangelion etc. I recognized the obvious Fullmetal and Pokemon stuff but not much else. I still found it really enjoyable.

Haruhi is the only essential one I think.

Either that, or you could stay alert about any everyday conversations you have with some people around you, whether you’re talking about chocolate cornets, interesting news trends, summertime heat, or horror stories. I figured that there wasn’t much harm in adding this show and Haruhi Suzumiya into my anime interests together since both shows were so connected… especially given the last anime program that popped up in my memory right before those two: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. I did start studying Code Geass and other shows more extensively for the first time after Lucky Star was embedded into my memory, while Lucky Star itself got my attention almost instantaneously when I learned that Mr. Izumi, Yutaka, and Yui’s preparations for Konata’s birthday included a ticking clock sequence strikingly similar to… 24.:

Yutaka: Did I make it home in time?
    Mr. Izumi: Yep. Are you ready to do some decorating?
    Yutaka: Yeah!
    (split screens of streamers, letters, miniature flags, food, and presents, with 24-style beeping sound effects, starting at 4:14-4:15 p.m. and ending at 6:00 p.m.)

I could play that sequence at least 25 times in a row, to use a random number, and I’d be unable to resist bursting out laughing every time. Then again, under no circumstances could I consider myself an “otaku”, even with this show in my memory, so maybe there’s that.
    Last edited by ccangelopearl1362; 19th July 2011 at 9:31 PM.

okay I think i get this show now ;P I really like it ^^

anyone know where I can get the English light novels in north America?
    Last edited by madmarine0; 21st July 2011 at 6:29 PM.

/TheAscensionClan

Bingo. Shifting gears back a bit, I’m now wondering a bit about Hiyori’s interest in artwork, among other things. Apparently, while she, Minami, and Yutaka were walking through Tokyo, they walked past two people dressed in colored trench coats, one blue, the other red… getting Hiyori’s attention.:

Yutaka: Is anything wrong, Tamura-san? (her and Minami turning in same direction as Hiyori)
    Hiyori: H-h-how embarrassing!! What are they thinking?! Dressing like that in public…
    Minami: Is it the coat?
    Yutaka: Wow. It’s summer, and they’re dressed like that. They must be hot.
    Hiyori: (snapping pictures with her cell phone) This kind of thing’s reserved for the ones who know about it!! (pressing buttons) Hang on a second. I gotta send these to someone.

Leaving potential anime references aside for the moment, I might note Yutaka’s point about the weather, specifically summer as a season. As for Hiyori, well, I can understand her point if those trench coats really are from an anime program out there. I’d say that these three girls are fun to study in their own right as much as the main characters of Lucky Star, but maybe that’s just me.

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    It's okay but I can't see why it has so many fans.
    by the makers of Haruhi.... and it features a DFC voiced by Aya Hirano/Wendy Lee. Apparently, that was enough to get everybody running. I find the show funny myself, even relatable at times, but it annoys me how it occasionally feels as though KyoAni is just banking on the name they've made for themselves (I feel the same way about K-ON!... decent, but I don't quite get all the hype).

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

Quote Originally Posted by madmarine0 View Post
    okay I think i get this show now ;P I really like it ^^

anyone know where I can get the English light novels in north America?
    Online ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    by the makers of Haruhi.... and it features a DFC voiced by Aya Hirano/Wendy Lee. Apparently, that was enough to get everybody running.
    Not even. To be honest I can't stand Wendee Lee as either Konata or Haruhi. Normally I'm fine with her, like as Faye from Bebop, but hearing her in those two roles always kinda makes me cringe.

I enjoy Aya Hirano in both roles, couldn't care less about whatever happened with her image and personal life.

Online ?
    Well I meant an officially dubbed English version. Apparently there isn't :/

/TheAscensionClan

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    Not even. To be honest I can't stand Wendee Lee as either Konata or Haruhi. Normally I'm fine with her, like as Faye from Bebop, but hearing her in those two roles always kinda makes me cringe.

I enjoy Aya Hirano in both roles, couldn't care less about whatever happened with her image and personal life.
    I kinda the oppisite, I think she was pretty fine for the part, thought I've never seen Cowbow Bebop, this could be one of the reasons why.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast