Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manga FAQs/Dictionary/ Questions

I'm relatively new to manga. I've always been used to anime, but now that I've read some of PokeSpe, I'm hooked. My question is, how does manga get released? My guess that different chapters, or rounds as PokeSpe would refer to them, are released somewhere, I'm not sure where, and after a while groups of chapters are collected into volumes, much like trades for Western comic books. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by TehLulzMastur View Post
    I'm relatively new to manga. I've always been used to anime, but now that I've read some of PokeSpe, I'm hooked. My question is, how does manga get released? My guess that different chapters, or rounds as PokeSpe would refer to them, are released somewhere, I'm not sure where, and after a while groups of chapters are collected into volumes, much like trades for Western comic books. Is this true?
    the majority of them are released either weekly or monthly in chapter form in collections similar to our shonen jump, such as weekly shonen jump or monthly shonen gangan. then, usually either after the series ends, or once it's far along, sets of 8-10 chapters are collected and released in "tankobon" (small book) format, like the books you can buy. occasionally, a manga can be produced originally as tankobon, or in individual standalone chapters, but that's pretty rare.'

by the way, it's definitely pronounced "mahn-gah." that's the way it's spelled in japanese. まんが, マンガ, both of those are read the same way. if it was to be pronounced "Mayn-gah" it would be spelled "menga" or "メンガ." マ is "ma" which is always pronounced "mah." メ is "me" which is always pronounced "may."
    Last edited by Butterfly; 30th September 2011 at 8:59 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12